Speaker 1: Good a, Peter Helly, Hey, welcome to you. Ain't seen Nothing Yet the movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedy icon Glenn Robbins. Do you any think you have a chance against us? Mister cowboy?
Speaker 2: Open the pod bay doors.
Speaker 3: Hell, I'll have what she's having.
Speaker 1: Happening right now.
Speaker 2: Don't see nothing you.
Speaker 1: I've had a lot of friends and people I've admired on this podcast. Sometimes those things and quite often they overlap. Today is a very special episode though. Glenn Robbins was my comedy hero growing up, and I know I'm not alone in the world where haters are hating. Everyone loves Glenn Robins. He is the John Farnham of Ossie Comedy. Glenn first came to our attention in The Comedy Company and the Absolute Sketch Comedy Juggernaut in the eighties, featuring characters like Conn the Fruiter played by Mark Mitchell, Colin Carpenter played by Ken Ginjeel Carlie Mole played by Mary and Fay. But for me, it was all about Uncle Arthur played by the Great Glenn Robbins. We just all loved Uncle Arthur. I still remember playing street footy and doing Uncle Arthur impressions to keep everybody amused while somebody else vegetable from over the fence. Glenn has stated at the top of the comedy tree ever since, through his iconic roles as cal Day Night in kathn Kim and titular character in Russell Koit's All Pussy Adventure, Glenn has kept treading the boards with stand up and kills it every time on Have you been paying Attention? And he was a long standing member of the panel. Quite simply, Glenn, like somebody like Will Ferrell, is always always funny. It's surreal to me did I get to call Glenn a mate? He's hilarious, interesting and interested, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today. Hi.
Speaker 4: My name is Glenn Robbins and my three favorite films are Sideways.
Speaker 3: I am not drinking any fucking.
Speaker 4: Blow, Midnight, Cowboy Hell All.
Speaker 2: The one thing I've ever been good for it Lovin and.
Speaker 4: Your mother too. From this day on wards, these other rules the only rules, well up until I had seen one flow of the Cuckoo's Nest, which is.
Speaker 2: Wow is based on LSD.
Speaker 1: Heartthrob Ken Kesey's nineteen sixty two novel One Flow Over the Cuckoo's Nests was a tricky movie to get made, but when they did, Boy Oh Boy, with Milos Foreman at the helm and white hot Jack Nicholson fresh off Chinatown, Cuckoo's Nest in nineteen seventy five was the seventh highest grossing film ever. That's right, the seventh highest grossing film ever. How times have changed. Where veteran RP. McMurphy arrives at an Oregon mental institution for in his words, fighting and fucking too much, he is avoiding service. He plans to bunker down, win some cash playing poker, and get back to his outside world after a few weeks. But with a cast of good hearted wackos played by future legends Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, among others, and a nurse who may or may not be evil Louise Fletcher as the icon nurse Ratchet, McMurphy's stay may not be the straight line he was hoping for. One Flow Over the Cookies Nest is one of only three films to have won the Big Five Oscars Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, and Best Screenplay. The other two, It Happened One Night and Silence of the Lambs One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest is surprisingly fun, heartwarming, but also grim and heartbreaking. Are stunning achievement. Glenn Robins, have you had your electric shock therapy this morning?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I don't think I can follow that. I've got nothing more to say about it than exactly what you said.
Speaker 1: So there is a lot to talk about. I know I covered some territory.
Speaker 4: There, but there's how do you go with spoiler alerts?
Speaker 1: We say to people, I mean, people do listen to this. I always say, watch the movie first, the obvious thing, and then listen listen to this. Now that's a good idea, that's a good idea. But I have had people who will watch listen to the podcast and then I watch the movie quite happily. Yeah, so people taking films differently these days.
Speaker 4: Perhaps I have to present a present a proviso. I studied film and television and yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that a threat or that?
Speaker 4: I don't want to say, why the floor with you? But I got some terms I can throw around. Genre French isn't that film noir. Yeah, subtext fem fatal. I did film and television. I didn't understand any of it. How did you study for Well? I qualified film and television teacher, right. I studied drama and film and television. Why because I didn't get good enough marks to do anything else. And and I liked the whole world of film and TV.
Speaker 1: And when you spoke to me about doing this podcast, you actually told me, you said, listen, I don't really get too deep into like, yeah, discuss again. And then you've come in the load board me and you've come in yet. Well, but I don't do you, professor?
Speaker 4: I have I one of those people? Was it good?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 4: Why? I don't know? Just that's you know, so don't expect to go subtexts and you know, and so.
Speaker 1: You know the words, you just don't know what they mean.
Speaker 4: I know how to use them, you know what. That's what art is. You don't need to be able to intellectualize it. You just yeah, you just have to have a reaction. And people say I hated that, and they go, well, it's art, and that's a reaction. So that's good. It's when you're ambivalent, that's that's dangerous. Yeah, but when you you know, I like a film or I don't like a film or a script or whatever, you just go. That made me feel good. And I'm not sure why. Maybe down the track you work it out, but it's all in my book, Appreciating Art, film, television and drama.
Speaker 1: Within the plugs at the end. If you don't, yeah, sure is it crass? Opening with plugs before you move on to your three excellent favorite films? In fact, well, two of them I know are excellent cause I've seen them, but one I haven't seen. But did you so? Why having you seen one? Flow out of the cookies? This was the one that was on you.
Speaker 4: I don't know why. Nicholson is probably my favorite. There's a few that I haven't seen of Nicholson. The last detail, the last detail yet and oh hang on, obviously we had it in front of us, but I haven't seen that many.
Speaker 1: Five easy pieces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what was the one one where they were traveling back. There was the security guards they were the Is that the last detail?
Speaker 1: And lastly that was when they have to get the guy. Yeah, I think I've seen it, Yeah, I haven't. Okay, it's come up in this part I think it's Lloyd Langfort's favorite films.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm not an expert on Jack Nicholson at all, but he is my favorite. I mean, he's probably probably say he's you favorite actor, and I say Jack Nicholson because you saw the bucket list and you thought, I haven't seen the buck list.
Speaker 1: There's another one you got to get to. So I don't know why I say that, but anyway, this, Yeah, I was going to say, but let us do it that before we get through your three favorite films. I actually wrote down basically, I mean, what a career Jack Nicholson has had. This is like I'm going to run you through Jack Nickosons screen. Now there's a movies in between some of these that aren't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'll probably I haven't seen it, haven't seen it, haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: So he makes Easy Rider in sixty nine with Dennis Opo, and that's what kind of catapults him into, you know, level of fame. In nineteen seventy, does Five Easy Pieces seventy one, he does Carnal Knowledge seventy three, he does The Last Detail seventy four, he does Chinatown Great Film. He has a role in Tommy in seventy five, and then he makes one floid of the Cookies that's in seventy five, so he comes in white hat to this. He makes a couple of films that don't quite take off between seventy five and eighty, but in eighty he makes the Shining Ban. The Postman Always Rings twice in eighty one, Reds in eighty one as well in terms of endearment eighty three, Pretty's Honor eighty five, Heartburn eighty six, which is of Eastwick. In eighty seven, Broadcast News a smaller role, but I I have said a lot more than I thought I had. Yeah, Batman in eighty nine, a Chinatown sequel called The Two Jakes in ninety ninety, which I've never seen him, I say a few good Man in ninety two, one of your time, great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you can't handle the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know you did. Impressions as good as it gets. In ninety seven about Schmid, which is a great film.
Speaker 4: Alexanderan again i'd forgotten, and that would maybe go into one of my favorites. I'd forgotten yep.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two. That the part of two thousand and six I think only makes three films after the part of his last one was how do You Know? In twenty ten, James L. Brooks teaming up with his old broadcast news mate for his final film.
Speaker 4: And I think he's retired now as yeah does anything? Yeah, it just goes the basketball with Adam Sander, I think. And that's the only time we've seen not.
Speaker 1: A bad laugh though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's an incredible career, isn't it incredible? Nearly is incredible as yours and mine. I mean, there's no I don't see there's no comedy company in there cal nine. Yeah, there's no you know, I know Jack would be probably quite ten to see some of those. Does Jack listen to?
Speaker 6: Do?
Speaker 1: I send everyone who's involved in the film, I send a course, send the tape. That's how you doing, Jack? That's terrible, I pretend to I'm keeping it in. I'm keeping it in there. Let's talk about your three favorite films, Glenn. I'm so glad. I think it's the first time it's come up. Sideways is in my top three films?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yea, so my top eight three of I say, Godfather Parts one and two, I can't slit them, but to maybe as a smidge Sideways and playing strains and automobiles.
Speaker 4: And that's another great film. Yes, yeah, why Sideways. You know what, if you want to get deep on this, I think it. I think the two characters represent to me the two sides of me. There's the the good conscious do the right thing, which is I think that the character's name.
Speaker 1: Paul Marti my Miles. Miles is the other one. So he's Miles, and Jack is Thomas Haiden Church.
Speaker 4: Thomas Hayden Church is one of the most undervalued comedic talents in Hollywood. I do not know why he's not doing more. He was in Divorce, which I loved, and he represents the mischief side, the bad side, the things that you know that you want to do but maybe you shouldn't do. And they both go on an adventure together. All of my films seem to have a theme, which is two people on an adventure, Sideways, Midnight at Cowboy and your mother too. So there's and some of the ones that were on my list that I didn't get to say, because you can only choose three stand by Me, Three Boys on an Adventure, Ferris Bueller Day Off, Summer of forty two, Inside Lewin Davis, which I saw again the other night, Go So good. But there's something about I relate to both the characters because I get why they did what they did and the consequences of that was appropriate. And the pain that the main character is going through with the well, the pain they were both going through, both physically and mentally, and just that sense of mischief fun being away being It's like when you go away with your mates on a on a golf trip or a footy trip or whatever. They went to wine country and they and they met girls and they did things, but at the same time they're going through their own journey. I think one of the might haven't seen it for a while. One of them was about to get married.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, so it's basically a Bucks weekend of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Jack's about to get married and he decides he's the one who wants to make this, which usually the opposite happens. Usually it might be like the best man who's like, we're gonna get a bit of fun that you know, Miles actually wants to get it quite straight. He wants to play some golf, have some wines, and Jack side, no, we're getting laid this weekend. Like this is what's happening. Yeah, And they've got Miles has he's got two things particularly going on. He's got a book that he's waiting to hear back on from his publisher and and and he's also got a he's kind of not recently separate, but he's still not over his ex wife. And then he finds out during that there she's coming to the wedding and she's bringing her her new boyfriend.
Speaker 4: And Thomas haden Church's character is he's he.
Speaker 1: Does add a small time small time those voiceovers there's lodged into some voiceovers. He's not going through as much. I think it's certainly miles story, certainly two hander, but what he is going through I guess. I mean, Miles is easy to identify. But Jack's kind of obviously he's about to get married, yet he's going on this weird kind of so something's not right. Yeah, yeah, away, and he looks up with Sangerro who's awesome in it, and Miles is Virginia Madison, who's brilliant. Again, there's a brilliant scene where they go back to the one of the girls place. I'm sure at Sandro's play and Paul gi Marty's character and Virginia mentioned her just chatting and it is one of the great talk about subtexts. It is one of the great scenes if you want to talk about subtext, to learn what subtext is, because they're talking about wine, but he's actually talking about himself, yes, and it's amazing. And then she just really like puts her hand on his hand and it really lays it thick, and like how like she how much she loves one. She's almost talking about him and maybe even sexist, how fucking good it tastes. And she's looking right at she's leaning forward, and he looks back at her, and he just goes, yeah, but I like capsavs too. And I've been in those moments, you know, yeah, many many years ago when I was finding my way, you know, working how to read cues and kind of going I can't, I don't know how an idea with this situation.
Speaker 4: And so you related to the vulnerability of that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I just think I think it's a perfect film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no idea too. I'm just trying to remember. How were the characters different at the end than they were at the start. Was there a sense of hope or was there a sense of life going back to the way it was? I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's so Miles goes back and the wedding happens. Yeah, Miles does do a thing where he he does drink that really expensive bottle of wine that he talks about throughout them because he goes to the wedding and these obviously, please watch it, you know, let's skip it.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you've watched it earlier, because I've watched.
Speaker 1: It from long time. I watched it a lot, right, I revisited.
Speaker 4: There is It's based on a book too, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm not I forget who wrote the book, but Rex Pickett wrote the book.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 1: It's just come up on the screen. So he talks about he expects you the wine, and there's lots of wine talk, obviously, and he he goes to the wedding and that only is the partner there, and he deals with it. Okay, he deals with it, and then he realizes that she's pregnant and that just kind of tips him over a little bit, and but he doesn't freak out. He just goes to this diner and takes his bottle of wine and palls into the paper cup. And this is with a burger, So I think him accepting acceptance and dealing with that. It's probably the growth in that. And then he goes and revisits the Virginia Madison and that's where he kind of Ansie knocks on the door.
Speaker 4: So therefore we sense that perhaps there may be something forward with her.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's certainly some forward momentum I think with him. But it's it's it's I can't And if you get a chance, it's a real treat to listen to the DVD commentary with Church and Paul GM Marty. They like your favorite. If they had a radio show or a podcast, you'd be listening to that. They are so funny together.
Speaker 4: Now, what's I mean, what's happened to what's his name?
Speaker 1: Paul GM has Billions was the big recently and he's popped up in lots of stuff. He's very I mean, he's so good. He was like a very character actor he was for all that time. Yeah, and now he's made like Marve. He made like Marvel like he was just in those and around that. It was in the hang the third Hangover movie. But Billions Billions is a big shot. I don't watch it, but.
Speaker 4: I've seen it either. But it's just one of those people that again, for me, he's probably flown under the radar a bit. But but they come and both of them, Thomas Hayden Church are just His timing in his presence is just a joy to watch. It's just effortless, and you can learn from watching someone like that just to lean back on a little bit and let it play anyway. I'm getting a bit deep into acting, but I just think he's so undervalued.
Speaker 1: He's so good. Midnight Cowboy we have had only recently. In fact, in the first episode of this series, we discussed Midnight Cawboy, which I had never seen up until recently.
Speaker 4: Again, I haven't seen it for a while. Send it a couple of times again. Two people on a journey. Really, it's a guy who goes to guys in the country town, isn't it.
Speaker 1: He's a small coutch down in Texas and goes New York City. So Vance joy sings the song Riptide and there's a line in that about there's this movie that I think you'll like. A man quits his job and moves to New York City. This cowboy is running from himself and I've always wondered what movie that was. It's been night Cowboy, right.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, well this for the performance of John Voyd, John Voyd, Yeah, and doesn't have it do not thank you. It's Scott. There's that thing, that thing that Laurel and Hardy had, The thing that I love, which is that two guys probably not as smart as they'd like to be, one who probably thinks he is a little bit smarter than the other. Confidence that is undermined by by some stupidity, some ignorance, not ignorance, naivity, and that where that takes them. And John boyd performance is one of the best. He walks that line perfectly.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: It's incredible, the strut, the confidence, the look, but the naivety and the with that it's just beautiful to watch.
Speaker 1: And the way the flashbacks inform that character. So he's very full of Bravid as soon as you meet him, he's full of pado.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: These flashbacks almost play out like memories, which what flashbacks are, but there's different ways of executing flashbacks. He is so I think beautifully and effortlessly done and then the memories get a bit more kind of all, hang on, this guy's got some stuff he's not going on. They're not dealing with, and he needs to deal with and doesn't Hoffman Hoffman.
Speaker 4: Now, sometimes I think Dustin Hoffman goes too far and I think he might be listening. So sometimes Dustin you speak directly to we need to get together, and I reckon in the right film, with the right script, you can you can afford to. But but having said that, I thought the character is big, but it really really worked the vulnerability why can here I'm working here, which I believe was was was real?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, there's been been done in my research. It dusn't. Hofman likes telling a story and sometimes the story doesn't completely match up to reality. So the idea was that wasn't improvised. That was kind of supposed to happen. But it's it's what he says after that, which is something about insurance or something that was that was.
Speaker 4: It makes a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm working here.
Speaker 4: I'm a pretty good line, but you reckon the back end of it was improvised.
Speaker 1: Apparently, So there's conflicting reports until you believe the director John Slesinger or my.
Speaker 4: Advice to him would be watch Russell Coy to work out how to ad lib. After the dialogue, there's this I'm not going to give anyway. See if you can pick a dustin, give me a pull. But yeah, so again, I haven't seen it for a long time, but I remember just going away with a beautiful feeling again, two people on a journey through vulnerability and finding themselves. And when I couldn't tell you how they were different at the end from the start, I can't remember, but that's.
Speaker 2: What it is.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think Joe Buck he throws away, he kind of he stops pretending. I think like he throws away. He gets to Florid and he throws away his boots in his right, his cowboys stuff. And he got two men who have been quite homophobic all the way through this and he they have on the bus at the end, they're comforting. He's comforting the Dustin Hoffen in another movie, Back to Back, where he ends on a bus after the graduate. Different vibes going on, but it's and I think because the point I was going to make was another film from the seventies, which is the one flow out of cookies and mess is seventy five. That doesn't mind ending in a way that's pretty melancholic. Yes, yeah, which the sing often happened anymore, like so it doesn't it's the bus scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, hess away, Yeah he does, and the rest of the bus is aware of it and he cuddles him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Just beautiful. It's beautiful. It's great. I've not seen your Mother too.
Speaker 4: I think it's Mexican. It's you why to.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a movie that I never know what they call it because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the translation of it. Yeah, in another two a long time since I've seen it.
Speaker 1: It's very sexy, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's about some guys who go on a trip just to live life. It's it's come of a what is it? Coming of age? It's very sexual. It's just those things that you go through. They meet a girl. So it's not too similar to one. Am I thinking of Ferris Bueller in that way? I suppose or Summer of forty two is probably a little bit different. But yeah, I just I enjoyed the journey, the performance. I don't know the main character's name. I think it's Mexican. That the lunar yeah, yes, sounds right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also yes, the first time I saw Gayel Gussie Banal.
Speaker 4: He's a great actor on the Motorcycle with Motorcycle Diaries, was he yes, yeah, yeah, starting looking dude, Yeah yeah yeah. I mean it's like looking at a mirror for me when I look at him you two. Yeah, when I look at him o gage ye, that's it's a young Glenn Robins, right. But beyond that, I can't tell you too much because I remember it gets a bit dark, a bit foreboding, and you haven't seen it, so you can't.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, but it's kind of long time only yeah, the once. Yeah, it was directed by a fond Kuran, so he was one of his kind of earlier films before he kind of broke out in the more globals.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you much more than that. I don't know where you can see it. I don't know, but I highly recommend it. That's all I can say. If you enjoy an adventure.
Speaker 1: Yep, there you are. All right. Let's talk about the film We are here to get Stuck into the nineteen seventy five directed by me Lost Form and starring Jack Nicholson. It won the Five Big Oscars based on a novel which was a huge hit. So when this came to the cinema, people were ready for It was a hard film to get made, but like I said, when they made it, wow they I think they knocked it out of the park. Glenn Robins, did you enjoy one? Flu have the cookies? Now?
Speaker 4: I think would be up there with one of my favorite films. Really yeah, I think it's I mean it's probably it's a little dated now. I don't think you could make that sort of film now. In terms of the people who were in it, who were portraying mentally challenge people. I think probably today they would probably on the casting slightly different. It's a very very delicate thing to do, to go down that road of performance. I think they handled it really Who directed it and.
Speaker 1: So he did Armadaos he did the people versus Larry Flint he did hair, So yeah, I think he.
Speaker 4: I think that the performance did very It was a stage play, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was, yes, as a novel, then they made a stage play. Novel was very different to this novel was like Ratchet was It was almost a bit more cartoon. It was more like a fear and loathing in Las Vegas as well. She was like inherently evil apparently, and she had massive breasts and one of the come up and was at the end her breast got exposed, you know, like in some kind of weird kind of almost like an eighties comedy kind of style. In fact, the author has never seen the movie and almost sued them. One of the big differences is Chief actually narrated the film, so it's kind of seen through his speaker until a certain point.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they change, I think, I got to say, And some differences may spring up as we as we talk about it more, but I think they made some really good choices with this film. As far as the adaptation, Well, yeah.
Speaker 4: There was something a film it's based on a lie? Really, isn't it? That he's not sick?
Speaker 1: And yeah, so what did you think when Jack Nixon at first arise McMurphy rimes, what were your vibes?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: This guy's not crazy?
Speaker 4: He's he's absolutely And that's what I love about Nicholson is he has that ability to do. He always has a sense of mischief about him about something. He's up to something. Yeah, but he's got the he's got just charisma in Bucket Nicholson doesn't have to do a thing on screen, and he's got so much charisma. He's just got that that smile, he just pushes his hair back, he's's got that swagger, he got it's hand in love that character for him. And you know, I can't quote the other films, but whenever I see him, always get that feeling from him. I've never met or he's never got to meet me, but I've never met him, but I just reckon, there's a lot of Jack in his roles. I just yeah, I think that's.
Speaker 1: True of most. Can you not be do you shed your skin completely? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think you know, you see people on Meryl Streep where you completely they've completely transformed. But Jack has that that that that style of as I said, keep on using the word mischief. He's just got it.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, so when he walks in the room and he's you know, going the crazy lie, you go, oh, here we go, here we go. This is going to be a journey. And I love it when people are faking it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it because we know the audience knows, he knows, does everybody else know. They probably do, but they so, yeah, you're already sort of ahead of the game because you can you can go okay. They don't know or they like especially with the other characters who are challenged, all that, all that where he just takes over with bravado and he gets to do things that everyone wants to do. He wants the baseball on, He takes them on a trip, on a boat trip. He challenges them, he argues with them, he gets them doing, He dances with the staff. He's doing all those things that you like to think, Well, that's how it might be, that's what you like to think.
Speaker 1: He treats him with humanity. When he's playing basketball with Chief, I don't think, why is he doing that? What's his motive for doing it? And I couldn't come up with anything outside of like, this is how he's passing his time. And he actually wants to connect these characters.
Speaker 4: Well he loves these people, yes, so he wants to give him something to do when he wants him to feel good. And because he's he epitomizes someone that because Chief is gives nothing I mean in the performance, but we know inside they he's got a huge heart. I think I think we know that, yes, and then you see that come at the end when well, I don't know whether we should give away the we'll.
Speaker 1: Get to the end. We'll keep that. But let's have a listen of Murphy arriving. They take the handcuffs off him, and there's there's almost like an even for Nicholson as an over the top, deliberately over the top reaction, like it's almost a cartoon version of crazy. And then they're in the in the office speaking to the guy who runs runs the joint. We should point out that he's in there nine for fighting. Is also it was in jail for a statutory rate, which again the film these can you imagine somebody writing a film with a protagonist, the person we're ultimately trying to cheer from, is actually in there for statutory rate. He doesn't. It doesn't happen. The seventies, they do. They were more they were happy of dealing with more confronting elements to their more complic head the characters something. But this is this is Jack Nicholson a work.
Speaker 4: Well, to be honest with you, mc murphy.
Speaker 2: What it says here.
Speaker 7: Is that they think they think you've been faking it in order to get out of your work detail.
Speaker 4: Why what do you think about that?
Speaker 8: I look like that kind of guy you die.
Speaker 4: Well, let's just be frank for a minute.
Speaker 5: After Randalls wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Tell me, do you think there's anything wrong with your mind?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Not the thing.
Speaker 8: I'm a goddamn marvel and modern science.
Speaker 5: Well, you're going to be here for a period for us to evaluate you.
Speaker 2: We're going to study you.
Speaker 4: We'll make our determinations as to what we're going to do and give you the necessary treatment.
Speaker 9: And let me just tell you this, I'm here to cooperate with you one hundred percent. One hundred percent. I'll be just right down the line with it. You watch, because I think we are to get to the bottom.
Speaker 10: Of the r p mcworthhy So he's I mean, the voice is just do you get the feeling that that was semi improvised or is that they're just really well handled because there's a bit of crossover dialogue there was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just possibly, But I think it's funny, Glenn. I think a lot of people improvisation, and I think acting is improvisation, you know what I mean, Like there's yeah, there's.
Speaker 4: Good actors make yeah, make it seem so organic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's when I was watching Ogo, this feels so naturalist. Whole film feels really absolutistic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's no over the top performances. I mean, Jack Jack is Jack, and he's giving a little bit, you know, but even you know that the patients that you know, they they obviously have their things going on. And you know Chris Lloyd, you know, I mean I loved all the all the patients by the way I thought they were, so I did a great job of making them are all quite different. But I was in there.
Speaker 4: He played Martine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christopher Lloyd, he was the he was like, I mean, the big guy is a Tabor. Was his name Billy Billy, Yes, brad Derriff is his name, and he I know him instantly from one of my favorite films is Mississippi Burning. Yes, and he's not. I think he's he married. He might be married to Francis McDormand I think in Mississippi Burning and he's not. He's part of the police department who who are basically not doing committing crimes and murdering black vocals.
Speaker 4: And he's a stutter.
Speaker 1: He has a stutter in this. Yeah, he's great. He's great.
Speaker 4: He's so likable and he's so sweet and yeah, and Jack again loves him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got Chief, and you have Cheswick, who is played by Sydney Lassic, and he's he's the one who gone he first votes for the baseball. He's got the glasses, got a balding, quite prone to having an episode if you like, he's the one they drag in to get electric shots. Oh yeah, I thought he was really really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, they're worried about his mental health on set because he was like really getting into characters so much. In fact that in one I think the scene towards the end, which you'll get too later on, involving the pillow, he had to be removed from set because he was he was Yeah, yeah, but I thought I really like it.
Speaker 4: Well, So what you've got as a director, You've got that group of characters, and then you've got you drop in the middle of that, this fantastic McMurphy, a character that's living on a lie, played by Jack Nicholson. What a joy it is just to let that play and to see how it unfolds. And then as you watch the film what's to come, Yeah, is so knowing that it's not just going to be a week in the life of big things are going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know that Jack's plan is not going to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they've created the ultimate villain in What's Nurse Ratchet? But yeah, that's that's his That's the perfect scenario. Yeah, because within this playful arena, he's got people that he's really smarter than I suppose, he's got a system that's going to take care of him, and he figures he's going to be out of there pretty soon, so he may as well have as much fun as you can.
Speaker 1: Almost he almost thinks he's a member of staff, doesn't he. Yeah, by the way he interacts that scene before that, he's interacting like they're on the same level. And then he goes behind the nurses station you know quite often, you know, he thinks this is going to be easy, and the one thing in.
Speaker 4: His way, which is the old time, which is the perfect setup. Yeah, and he comes up, So therefore he's got something to push against. So yeah, you can see why it was a great film to make for the director.
Speaker 1: An interesting detail which I learned when I was doing a bit of a deep dive and this is amazing. I love to get your thoughts on it. So Milo's form and the director and Jack Nicholson had a bit of a disagreement, so you.
Speaker 4: Know stuff, I don't know, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: So two weeks they had two weeks where they had to stop filming and and then I don't think they barely spoke to each other. And based on the idea that it might have been during rehearsals or something, but based on the idea that they disagreed Miller's form. So the way it works now is that Jack Nicholson arrives and everything's pretty calm and peaceful, business as usual, Business as usual. Yeah, whatl Foreman wanted was for him to arrive and it to be like Bedlam already, and Jack Nicholson was saying, well, that doesn't work, like I need to be the hand grenade that kind of. Then these sets off these domino effects where all of a sudden it becomes chaotic and I've disrupted the apple cart, which I think makes a complete sense. Spot on, It is absolutely spot on.
Speaker 4: If I've saw Nicholson interviewed recently and he said, you know why I lasted so long because I'm a writer's he now has he written or but he I don't know of any scripts of movies I sented he's written, but he must have when he first started. And I imagine writing sensibility, so he knows how to set it up and what. So that's really interesting, isn't it that? Because I'm not saying that it would have spoilt the film, but with that under because you wanted to be a gentle place that he could Otherwise, because if he's a if he's been off the off his tree amongst people who are yeah, also struggling. I don't want to be flippant with my terms, yeah struggling. Then it's kind of like, oh, well, no big deal. But when he's taking these people from the mundane on a journey, it's so it's like a clown turning up to the playground. It is so you can see the looks on the on their faces when they when they start to get excited about the baseball and they start to they go on a boat trip of together and they go fishing, and then and then other things happen. So it's just a really smart move from him, I think.
Speaker 1: And also it feels like movie one Day one to me, Like most movies are often about a stranger who arrives and upsets everybody's routine, whether it's Andy dufrayin in the show Shank Redemption where and it's not very subtly. He's not a rabbel rouser as such, but he just upsets the routines of everybody, you know, whether it's the in parenthood, the who comes back into town, the black sheep of the family. He comes in and that kind of sets off various things, like it's you know, so what, And I suspect with Jack Sometimes you watching him give a speech even though you know what he seemed listened to before, and you think, yeah, there probably was like an extra line that Jack added there, like a turn of phrase or something that it's consistent in the roles that he takes. You kind of go, yeah, that that probably is a little bit of Jack. So I think you're right. I think I never knew that Jack Nicholson consider himself a writer.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what he could. Yeah, he said, that's why I lasted so well. I'm in the business. God, that's not about Jacket. That's pretty good mine, pretty good. I think I think you found you in new Thing. That's why it lasted so long. Yeah, because he knew how to pick a script. Yeah, I knew had a pick and he knew had.
Speaker 5: A you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about Nurse Ratchet. Like, when I saw this movie, I saw when I was younger, not when I came out. Was it was it came out in the year I was born.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: So but I watched it I think when I was probably sixteen or so, when I was going through a bit of a sting age of like, oh I need to watch some classic films. And I really enjoyed it. And in my mind, I've gone along with the narrative that often gets put out there that Nurse Ratchet is evil. Watching it now, I had a different reaction to it. What was your thoughts, Well.
Speaker 4: I suppose that when you're younger, it represents authority, it represents control, represents everything you don't want.
Speaker 1: To have to do.
Speaker 4: You've got to take the medication, You've got to do that. We've got it because you're not like everybody else. You're not special, and that's what we rebel against. I think, whether it be government or whether it be whatever teaches you know your partner whatever. So I think to me it represents that. I'm not sure beyond that.
Speaker 1: I just think she as an adult. I'm watching it and maybe this is getting old around, like yeah, but he's played by the reals place. But for me, she's her job. Her job is to run this institution full of people who are struggling. There's not a lot in there. And let's put electric shock and lobotomy is aside, because that's not really her like that, that's the institution. Yes, but she gives him a chance that she gives the people a chance to suspect she she's mild.
Speaker 4: Mannered, that's but that's important to the role absolutely, because she realizes how much power that she has.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I think she does abuse her power. I think I think if my, if somebody I loved, was in this institution, I would hate nursery and I'd probably consider her evil. But from at a movie level, it was amazing to me and so clever, and so I think it makes it much more interesting that Nurse Ratchet isn't She's not, you know, a lunatic for one of a better term. She's she is just somebody like there's no I even liked the idea that there's no kind of evil plan happening behind the scenes. I think she actually, I think she's done a record of saying she believes her character cared about these patients, but she she got a little bit drunk with her power.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think there's that thing that wheen you if you're responsible to your task. Is that is that you do it appropriately. But then sometimes an ego will kick in and you will want to win. I think she wanted to win. I agree with that because he pushed He brought that out in her and pushed her and pushed her, and so therefore it became about winning and losing, and that in a film sense that's great. Yes, yeah, it's great because it does give you somewhere to go. If she was just professional, she would have realized that, Okay, well that's the rules and see you later, because I don't really need to worry. It went beyond that. It got personal.
Speaker 1: They went on. They got on the excursion and they go he s good escape by the way. Yeah, Like there's no cut in that, and it looks like it is Jack Nicholson. It's nicely done, and he steals the bus. They go fishing. I do love the scene where they ask and he says, we're from the mental institution and as doctors, and they all look, it's funny. It's actually again interesting thing, isn't it. It's a doctor yep. And they all loved doctors, Yeah they did.
Speaker 4: They had long beards and their hair was a bit waywood and it didn't matter. And they're all just not in going and they didn't say anything. Yeah, it was such a great you know, bit of again mischief. And they go fishing and there's a girl as a girl as well. There's the girl's girl's his girlfriend friend read you know, his girlfriend on enough girlfriends. She may be sex workers, you may not be. Every different opinions, and who Candy is and and they come. I would have loved to see the mark where they did catch the fish. But you know it was the last scene they shot because Millers storm and did not want to shoot it. Did Yeah, he didn't think it was that important.
Speaker 1: I disagree again, but because I think films like this, to see your community, your your gang, if you like, have victories, is so powerful, whether it's.
Speaker 4: And freedom, yes, yes, when they cross that line, you go oh, my god, here are people that we love getting to live again and to enjoy the things in life that we can do every day. And because you feel for them, because you love them so much, you attached to that scene.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's some subtext to the catching of the fish. I don't know, but being on a boat and go anywhere you want to go, there's something about that that's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's I mean share Shank has when he plays the music out, you know, and everyone's enjoying the music, thead poets, you know, that's full of these kinds of scenes. They come back and a little fact, Angelica Houston, who was Jack Nicholson's boyfriend at the time, he's on the pier just as really people waiting on the pian one of them is Angelica Houston. For the train spotters out there, what I'm going to it. They go back and they have the discussion whether McMurphy is actually crazy or not, and whether they should let him go or not. And it's Ratchet importantly that decides that she thinks he could stay, they could help him, and I I wonder if she's thinking and this is the point where that how bad. Is she Is she making the call to help him or is she making the call to punish him?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I think so it's going back because she would she would do the punishment and then she would step away. But there was a sense of you will not beat me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Of all the people here, you're the most this what you could call me out. You could win, and I could be seen to have no power and that I will protect my power at all cost, whereas a good doctor would not do that, or good nurse would not do that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A little bit earlier, you do have a scene where they're lining up for their medication, and this is again McMurphy, I guess, challenging the system.
Speaker 7: That music is for everyone's to make Murphy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 9: But do you think we might ease it down a little bit, so maybe the boys didn't have to sh shout huh.
Speaker 7: What you probably don't realize is that we have a lot of old men on this ward who couldn't hear the music if we turned it lower. That music is all they have. Your hand is staining my window.
Speaker 6: Sorry, man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Mis murphy medication, what's in the horse pill?
Speaker 9: It's just medicine.
Speaker 2: It's good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't like the idea of taking something if I don't know.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 8: Don't get upset, mister McMurphy.
Speaker 4: I'm not getting upset, miss Pillbow.
Speaker 8: It's just that I don't want anyone to try and slip me salt.
Speaker 7: Peter Murphy doesn't want to take his medication orally. I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way. But I don't think you'd like it, mister McMurphy.
Speaker 1: You'd like it, wouldn't.
Speaker 4: You've got to wonder whether that line is, whether it's a jackline exactly. I mean, it's easy to think to say, but but notice notice how she delivers those lines of power without any raging, any threats. She realized the potency in the power of that statement. You're not going to like it. And that's often when you see that in a film, you go, that is so powerful you don't need to over you don't need to overact that film. And she does it with nothing, knowing the power that she's got, and it's just that's did she.
Speaker 1: Win an award churs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, so I get I get, well, you don't have to do a lot to make that scene. I'm not trying to diminish her performance. But she didn't know any She let it play.
Speaker 1: Yes, But sometimes that that choice is enough, isn't it, Because you do see people who overplay it, you know. But everything she said, though.
Speaker 4: It can't you know, like it's fair and responsible. Yes, yeah, and well.
Speaker 2: There are to the people.
Speaker 1: It's not all about you. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this could this could trigger other people, and and and yeah, we might go into it when when he's trying to this is when he's he's starting to realize that things this made life may not be as easy as he hoped it to be. I think this is the second time he pitches to have the World Series played in the in the building.
Speaker 2: General, you remember, don't you?
Speaker 4: October the banner the stars all say, can you're the World Series?
Speaker 9: Raise your hand up to by the dolls, Just raise your hand up like overt about you.
Speaker 2: I want to watch the ball game. I want to watch the ball game. Just one vote, Just raise your gentlemen.
Speaker 7: The meeting is adjourned for Christ's sake.
Speaker 9: I don't know what you fucking maybe acts when I'm talking about mister McMurphy.
Speaker 7: H the meeting is adjourned.
Speaker 2: All right, just wait a minute, will you just one minute?
Speaker 7: You can bring the subject up again tomorrow.
Speaker 8: All right, Chief, you're our last chance.
Speaker 7: What do you say?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: Just raise your hand up.
Speaker 9: That's all we need from you today, Chief, Just raise your hand up one time.
Speaker 2: Show her that you can do it. Just show her that you can still do it. Just raise your hand up.
Speaker 4: All the guys have got him up.
Speaker 8: Just raise your hand up, chief, will you?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Come on, there's gotta be one guy in here that's not a voting mac cheef, the chief, let's rage.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 2: Look the Chief put his hand up.
Speaker 9: The Chief put his hand up.
Speaker 2: Bluck.
Speaker 7: He voted.
Speaker 2: Would you please turn this?
Speaker 9: Would you please turn the.
Speaker 4: Television set on to the Chief has got his hand.
Speaker 2: Up right there, the chief voting.
Speaker 9: Now, will you please turn the television set on.
Speaker 2: Mister McMurphy.
Speaker 7: The meeting was adjourned and the vote was closed.
Speaker 2: The volte was ten to eight. The Chief, he's got his hand up.
Speaker 7: Look no, mister McMurphy. When the meeting was adjourned, the vote was nine to nine.
Speaker 9: Come on, you're not going to see that now, you're not going to see that.
Speaker 1: Now, you're gonna pull that hand househit down.
Speaker 2: When the vote, the chief just voted it was ten to nine.
Speaker 1: I want that television set turned.
Speaker 4: On, right.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I mean it's it's I mean, because they're so close, they've done the vote, and he thought he was a landslide, but she said no, it's not just the people who's sitting in the circle, it's also you know, these lobotomized people as well. And yeah, that's that's when she does start turning the screws. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I will win and as much. And you can yell if you want, but I know that I have the element authority. And that's again, there's no yelling match here.
Speaker 4: You're done. Yeah, and we're done, but so close yet so far you can And that's what it's a joy to watch because you can just feel that frustrat and just boiling over, bubbling up inside. And we've all been in situations like that where you just go, you know, and when you're a kid, sometimes yeah, can I just stay up for one more? No, you've got to go to bed, to go to bed. But it's the shows, it's a show. You got to go to bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on. Or sometimes you want to have an argument with somebody and they're they're not they're not raising their voice to your level. I often, I think, to be honest, some people get frustrated with my my co host on the project while et L and I'm not comparing well lead in this ratchet but he never I've never heard him raise his voice. He's always mild mannered and he explains his position. And I think people want to some people just want to yell, they want to scream, you know, And.
Speaker 4: I'm working on it, and I'm working on it and I know, I know, and it's just.
Speaker 1: That we've had to adjust the microphone levels and it doesn't But it's so true because you know, when you have an argument with who no, no, no, but you get your voice is naturally Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I say it louder, you might hear me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what things. Yeah. Yeah. There's another point where actually remind Eve play where he realizes that some of the other inmates are not there by law, there voluntarily. Uh, And that's it's another moment.
Speaker 8: McMurphy Scanlon, Billy, for Christ's sake, you must be committed, right, You're just.
Speaker 1: A young kid.
Speaker 4: What are you doing here?
Speaker 9: You got to be out in a convertible bird dog and chicks and banging beaver?
Speaker 2: What are you doing here? For christ?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 2: It's funny about that.
Speaker 8: Well, Jesus, I mean you guys do nothing but complain about how you can't stand it in this place here, and then you haven't got.
Speaker 2: The guts just to walk out.
Speaker 9: What do you think you are, for Christ's sake, crazy or something?
Speaker 2: Well, you're not. You're not.
Speaker 1: You're no crazier in the.
Speaker 9: Average asshole out walking around on the streets.
Speaker 1: And that's it. Jesus, Christy, I can't even believe it.
Speaker 7: Those are very challenging observations.
Speaker 1: You made around on again again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's fear. It's the fear and all of us, the fear of moving forward, the fear of actually getting out from leaving the family, leaving the school, whatever it is, and actually enjoying life. I saw I saw a David Bowie a clip on Instagram, I think the other day, and he said, when you're working creatively, go to where it's like a swimming pool. I think I'm not doing this justice. It's like a swimming pool. But when you get when you can only touch the bottom with your tippy toes, go a bit further, because that's when it gets scary and exciting. And that's that's what if he's just he stays in that world, Bill, he stays in that world because it's safe and he knows it because he's too scared. He just hasn't got the the maturity or the wherewithal any and that would be in psycho analysis, would probably say that it's his upbringing that he was not He's not worthy enough, he's not smart enough, and that's and that's why he stays trapped, which again heightens the tragedy of it all. And we understand it.
Speaker 1: I just want to add Chief, like you said earlier, there's an inherent goodness about Chief. He's an observer. You know, there's things stirring inside. And I mean again we rather this is where where we first he well, we've just heard he hands him some juicy fruit. He takes the juicy fruit and he says thanks. And this is McMurphy's reaction.
Speaker 5: Will you Slie's Chief?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me too?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 7: You did.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: You got damn Chief, and.
Speaker 5: They all they all think you're you're deaf and dumb.
Speaker 1: Jesus right, I'm full of cheap, you're fool of you fool them all.
Speaker 6: What are we doing in here?
Speaker 5: Cheap?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: What's us two guys doing is a fucking place. Let's get out of here.
Speaker 6: Out dam Canada won't be there before these sons of bitches know what hit them.
Speaker 4: It's a random on this one.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I think it's the hot and soul of the film. This relationship is it fools really early and then then this is, you know, an escalation of the relationship when McMurphy realizes the Chief can speak, and there's a beautiful line and to have a conversation early later on where Chief says he's about getting out and Chief says, I'm not sure if I can. You know, you're a lot bigger than me, and it's it's a beautiful lie considering the size of him. Yes, beautiful relationship, it says a lot.
Speaker 4: And I guess it represents what what Jack is doing himself. So here it's kinship, it's it's brotherhood. Yeah, yeah, at that moment because god damn yeah, he's loving it because it's exactly what he's doing in a way.
Speaker 1: One of the beautiful things about the film is that Jack has seen the value in all these all these people. Yes, and and even in you know the Seventh Foot, you know Native American guy who doesn't say anything. You know, he's seen him, and I think it's it's amazing. Chief was played by a guy called Will Sampson who wasn't an actor. He was a park ranger in Oregon, really, but they could not find anyone who physically it's the physicality of Chief. So he got the role and continue to get work. And you know, I said, in America, not a whole bunch of work. You know, six 't five Native American Indians or Native American Indians, but he has got some work. And I think he's also you know, he helps represent Native American in the industry. And ashs acting goes so all right, let's let's get to the end. So well, McMurphy's getting out. He decides to throw a party. He's got a great man's escapeman Crothers, who he was also with him in The Shining and he basically bribes him to get the girls in the Booze. I mean, it's a bit of a it's dodgy transaction. There's some money in Behold, there's maybe some promises made, and it's basically becomes like a frat house. Yeah, absolutely, it's fun. And then it's kind of laid quite nicely in the boat where it's a very short little moment we see with Billy and Candy and they're having a short little conversation, but you can kind of see that, you know, maybe even in hindsight, you can kind of see that Billy, you know, has maybe feelings for Candy. And then this comes up and I mean, Murphy is about to leave. He's literally about the jump out the window. I think we've chief. I think the plan was the Chief to go with him. At this stage, Billy's upset. So close, he's so close, He's so close, which is just amazing filmmaking and writing, and he's basically out the window and he's everyone's saying goodbye. Everyone's happy to see him, not happy to see him go, but like happy for him. And then Billy is the one that kind of says, you know, I'm going to miss you and I'm not ready for you to go, and I you know, I forget if he says he likes Candy or McMurphy sees it in him, so he organizes we you know, we can get into the debate all that. But happens they go into one of the cells, I guess. And what's amazing I found, Glenn, is that basically they it cuts to mourning and Nicholson's passed out, you know, right next to the window. The bottles there again, so close, And basically he missed his opportunity to go out. Basically, he's expecting this to happen very quickly. He'll he'll pretty sure ejaculate, he will be out in three minutes and we'll go. But he doesn't. Actually, you know, they make love. They've actually the next morning they're still holding each other.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful and and but that leads to McMurphy not escaping because he waits, which is a beautiful thing in itself. Well, he could have actually gone, I'm out. Yep, you know this is taken too long. They'll kick Candy out. I'm sure, which is fine. I'm just going to I'm going for it. But he doesn't. He stays and waits, and he passes out, and then they find him in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they could be. It could have been a beautiful nding. It could have as a film. As a storyteller, you could go, well, he came in, he did that, he changed those people, and and look what happened. And then you see him running across. You've seen him running across and that represents life. Yeah, in the beautiful filmmaking that it is, that's not what happens.
Speaker 1: We're not done yet. We're not done yet. So the nurse ratchet basically, you know, finds everybody and again a fair enough reaction as far as like being pissed off that hang on, this is not supposed to happen. How has this happened?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: I think if you're in charge of the facility, you walk into that, you know, and they find Billy and Candy in the in the cell and they drag her out and it goes yeah, a while, So we won't play all of it, but there's a moment where everyone's willing Billy on and Billy's enjoying the support that he's getting and the cheers that he's getting. He's also just had this amazing maybe the most amazing night of his life. Yes, so he's on a high from that he's feeling pretty happy, and we feel, I think we're kind of trained in movie terms to feel like this is going to go to the point where he finds his courage to stand up the nurse Ratchet, And that's what I think everybody else feels like they're watching. And the nurse Ratchet turns the screws and she knows the triggers. She mentions his mother, and we'll pick it up from there.
Speaker 7: Don't tell them you think you should have thought of that before you took that woman in that room.
Speaker 1: No, no, I I di, I died. I I didn't.
Speaker 8: You mean she dragged you in there by force?
Speaker 6: Sh sh.
Speaker 5: She she she she she did.
Speaker 3: Every every everybody did everybody?
Speaker 1: Who did?
Speaker 2: You tell me who did?
Speaker 3: Mm m m m m m m m m m Murphy, mister Ratch, please please don't tell mister Warren my mother.
Speaker 7: Please would you see that the man are washed and ready for the day.
Speaker 3: Miss Rache, please, please please please don't to Washington.
Speaker 7: Put Billy and doctor.
Speaker 8: Come on right here me go.
Speaker 1: You know, So that's him hitting, that's hitting himself. Hard to watch, it's it's hard to It's what's amazing when you watch it, though, is not just the performance of Brad and Louise Fletcher, but it's it's also the reactions from the gallery that's watching and I reckon. It's the first time it dawns on McMurphy that no, Billy is sick and he does actually need help Weather this is the help he needs. But yeah, he goes, oh, these people are these these people aren't just here for you know, for no reason. They're actually they do need help. And all the reactions from the veto and Christopher Lloyd and Nicholson and everyone is incredible watching it because they've gone from this cheer, we're cheering you on, we know what just happened. And it's almost like he goes from you know, watching your mate take on the school principle and maybe having a few wins, to oh, no, you're you're getting expelled.
Speaker 4: It's ju just supposed the joy and the and the finding of the real self as and then authority steps in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we're not we're not done, Glenn, because and then the ultimate card is played, the ultimate And we should point out when the book was written, the bottom meyes was still happening, letter shot was still happening, and when the movie comes, Let's shot still happens. Lets you shock, it still happens. I don't know enough about it. Let your shock therapy now to know how if it's as brutal.
Speaker 4: I would be done under under anesthetic. I would imagine now where it was then it was probably done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the lot of these were only this being kind of taken out around around the time this movie is released, so it's kind of still kind of happening. Yeah, so he gets lobottomized McMurphy. It's an act of love happens.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, absolutely, well I agree, yeah yeah, do we say yeah, yeah, well, well I don't get the angry at this.
Speaker 1: No, obviously watched the film We're about. This is the final moment, yeah.
Speaker 4: Which Chief realizes that was what happened, and he tries to talk to him and McMurphy is basically lifeless, but it's still alive, and he smothers him and puts him because he because he loves him. He doesn't want him to be that he went and he in a way gives him, He gives him freedom by killing.
Speaker 1: Him, and then he goes back to that basin that McMurphy tried to use to escape earlier, and he takes it through the window, smashes it.
Speaker 4: What's that represent? Do you think the being helped to pick that up because it was a massive weight, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it's it's it's obviously it's probably the obstacle because that the windows of someone like chief. It's not really an obstacle. Is it in a way symbolic?
Speaker 4: Did he pick that up?
Speaker 1: Yes? And it's also it does you know? It is foreshadowed earlier with when McMurphy tries and he couldn't do it. Yes, And so he finds the strength and when he says earlier, you're bigger than me, like, I don't think he sees himself as he doesn't use his strength. It's interesting. And then he finally uses his strength and and throws it through and then this walks off. It walks off, he walks off. Yeah, it doesn't you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm sure there is something about, you know, thematically about a Native American kind of being in yes, and and having everything taken from him and then walking off into the land into this beautiful vista that we see in the very opening shot. But yes, I I Yeah. I just think it's incredible. I think was it It's weird maybe to ask it now because we've just spoken about the most grim Well it's green with the lobotomy, but then it's this optimistic.
Speaker 4: Did you find that's the ultimate card though, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: There was a lightness a lot like the times where this plays like a comedy.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh that's why it's such a good film.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's black and it's dark, and yet what plays on top of that is joyful and a celebration of life and a realization and a learning of each character in some ways, learning about different sides of yourself. Yeah, and overcoming that true someone who is you know, up to no good but actually up to He brings life to that place in a dramatic sense. He dies, which is incredibly powerful. It goes away this two shell pass film. School just paid for itself exactly. I've got some fun facts before we finish up. But I just think I love rewatching this film. You've been great with the facts because I haven't. I didn't.
Speaker 1: It's part of my job, because you know, it is your show. It's my show. It's like coming over and there's no there's no cheese platter. Yeah, that's right, but it does come with homework, and I do sincerely thank you for doing your homework and watching it. You are a busy man and it's genuinely a thrill. I mean, I'm going to embarrass you. I did mention it in the intro, but you were and I'm sure I've mentioned this to you before, but growing up you were my comedy heroes and you for you to keep the bar so high over such a long period of time is incredible.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you. You're always finny saying that, Yeah, there's a bit of cheap in me I don't want to get, but there's acknowledgment of what I've done. And sometimes you are in denial of it. Sometimes you do. You look forward, you don't look back, and so I appreciate you saying that it's good.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to get a pillow and put over. Having you said that, we've still got time, We still I've got info in you that could destroy your Please don't, please don't. Jack Nicholson took a pay cup for this because he was white hat and took a percentage of profits, which was a good move. A movie grossed one hundred and twenty million dollars at the box office, and I imagine he's still growing. Luise Fletcher was kind of annoyed. She understood the role and what acting is, but she was nurse in the nurse stretcher was a bit frustrated that she was the only one who couldn't kind of she had to stay in that kind of right, yeah, and she was like the stern one all the time. So for some reason she decided to prove that she wasn't a cold hearted monster. She shipped down under her undies for one after after shooting, which you would never do that I've seen Russell Kit made. I mean, there's out of all the comedians in Australia, you do You're fine of a g banger, aren't you.
Speaker 4: The question that Tom and I would always ask, what's the worst thing that could happen right now? As in some girl guides are walking past. The worst thing it could happen is his pants fall down, and we would make that happen. It wasn't my We didn't go in I didn't go into that showgate how can I pull my pants down? We would say, what's the worst thing?
Speaker 1: Luis fletcherse wins the Oscar and he's the first person of your sign language. At an Oscar's presentation, she thanked her mum and dad. I'm not sure what her family set up. If there's one who's hearing impaired or not, I assume one of them is. He's played in Swedish cinemas from nineteen seventy five to nine and eighty seven continuously. That's still a record.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did not notice about Jack Nicholson. He not long before this film was made. He got a phone call from Time magazine telling him we dook a big piece on you. We've done some research and your parents aren't your parents? Now, how does this imagine TV Week given you this call Glennie and saying that your your grandparents are your parents and the person who you think is your older sister is your mother.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's a lot to take it's a lot to take in. It's like, yeah, I might need to call you back and answer the rest of the questions. It's a big one. It's a big phone called to get and final fact this Kirk Douglas brought the rights for the book and he was trying to get it made.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 1: Nobody was interested in making it. Eventually, I think he aged out of playing the role mc murphy, so he kind of gave up on it. He gets another good one for streamed voice.
Speaker 4: No, it's not good.
Speaker 1: Jack's bad. Jackie is good. And then so your son, Michael Douglas. People kind of didn't realize produ Yeah, he was a producer and he got it made. And that's why Danny DeVito's and he was a good mate of Michael Douglas. He got Jack on board, and so Kirk had to watch his son kind of make it. Listen to a smash hit the film he couldn't get made.
Speaker 4: Couldn't if they did a remake it would you like to play.
Speaker 1: Nurse Ratch? Who would you be?
Speaker 4: I don't know whether I've got that. I'm more conservative, you know, than Jack, but if I would love to, I would love to be the naughty boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if not, I could see you as the old guy dancing around.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you are. You are light on your foot, Yes I am, Yeah, be happy with that.
Speaker 4: I was just happy to be part of it.
Speaker 1: We all we can't wait to start shooting mate. Thank you so much, Jam, It's been a thrill. I'm glad you enjoyed enjoyed it and anything coming up when you want to quickly plug anything.
Speaker 4: I do a podcast with Dava Neil course somehow related. I would love you to tune in and have some fun on that. I'm in the second series of Fisk just for one episode and the rest of the time is doing a little bit of surfing, playing a little bit of golf, and that's about it. I'm off to do my podcast right now.
Speaker 1: And if they see you playing golf, you're open to Uncle Arthur impressions.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I've been approached on a golf course, but someone are playing with me, he said to me. He goes, I got my son on the phone. Do just just do a bit of us call me through the phane, Mate, you can't afford it.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 1: I played nine holes recently by myself, and I've seen that with this dad keV and he's two younger sons in their twenties, and we got I was only playing nine. We got to the ninth hole and we're about to tee off and we're just waiting for the group ahead, and I said, we have to ask when Strawnie coming back and they looked at each other. Ah, I thought you wouldn't ask. I thought you wouldn't ask.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had a bit of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, thanks mate. Well that was a lot of fun. Glenn Robbins, the legend that is Glenn Robins talking one flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. I really enjoyed that. Like I said in the intro, Glenn meant it a lot to me. Growing up, he was one of the funniest people on TV and the fact that he still is one of the funniest people on TV is just massive. It's massive. What and not just his comedy champs, but just he's a lovely bloke and has always had time for me and other you know, comics coming through I say coming through now I'm probably passed the point of coming through, but anyway, whatever, Glenn, Glenn, thanks for joining us. Thanks to Jake my A's a Castwey Studios dot com dot you for having put this together. And next week on the show Big One, an old maid of mine talking about coming through. We started on the TV show called Rove years ago on Channel nine. Were there for a year before we moved on to Channel ten with Row of Live. Mister Dave Callen will be joining me on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. Yes, Dave Callen will be on, and we will be talking about the movie comedy Bill Murray, John Candy. It's stripes, Yes, stripes, next week on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, and I will be trying to get Dave to say trousers. Until then, stay safe, And so we leave old Pete see Mansul. And to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant, good name.