Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, is Friday, which means it is time to celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, I am going to be sharing our community's favorite money wins because miss Jess Ricci she's living her life in Tokyo. Kind of rude, but that's okay. Beck, You've got a number of really good broke tips for us this week, which I am excited about. Yes, we are going to be helping to answer a juicy Money Dilemma, which this week is all about managing various accounts. We're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're chatting about a partner who doesn't prioritize savings at all. And we're going to introduce our miss and Elissa to the show. She's our podcast producer and all round like Queen of the she's on the money Unisphere whatever we call it, Queen the Queen, she's the Queen.
Speaker 5: Am you?
Speaker 2: I'm here to keep you in line on air and in check. True.
Speaker 4: She was very confused for having like, let's have her on this show. You were like, ah, are you sure?
Speaker 5: I have nothing else to offer but my verbal support of both of you on air.
Speaker 2: Lovely to join you ladies Friday Friday.
Speaker 6: I'm so excited that you're here.
Speaker 5: I woud also like to clarify that Miss Jayrek is over in Japan, in Tokyo, trying to win Miss Sake twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: I think that she should, Yeah, she should wash his there, she may as well.
Speaker 2: Try, and she's gonna she should.
Speaker 4: She should, that would be I don't think she's going to come back I'm really hope she does. We need her. Hope she does really need her.
Speaker 6: If she doesn't, then you will stay here forever. And you seem stoked about that, so well, let's go with that.
Speaker 4: As always, we start the show by asking you guys, how your weeks were? Miss Beck's I head, what have you been up to this week?
Speaker 6: Whatever been up to? Honestly, like, I have been kind of bedridden because I've been sore. It's about that time of the month. Not to get you know, to TMI, but it's helpful, so I haven't done.
Speaker 4: Anything to talk about it because yeah, it's kind of crippling sometimes.
Speaker 6: Kind of crippling. So I've let myself have a really relaxed week.
Speaker 4: Good you deserve it.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. And you and you.
Speaker 4: No, miss an Lisa, how was your week?
Speaker 5: What did you doook me from the constant, steady delight of beautiful sunshine that we had.
Speaker 2: In Melbourne last week?
Speaker 4: What is that about?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's weird, but it's fabulous.
Speaker 5: But also thanks for getting me on because I'm going overseas this Sunday for.
Speaker 2: Two months and I won't see it, so.
Speaker 5: I'm frantically packing frantically working, frantically doing everything, and wondering why on if I got myself into this.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's going to be brilliant. And Lisa, can you tell our community exactly why you're leaving she's on the money for two months, because that kind of seems a bit rude, doesn't it be? You're letting me be No, that's not it at all. What are you doing in the United States of America?
Speaker 5: I'm playing some music over there, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that wasn't good enough, was it, Beck? Could you please just tell us what you're actually doing over there?
Speaker 2: My band is going on tour.
Speaker 4: Your band is going on to Your band was to go on tour in America?
Speaker 2: So I'm playing.
Speaker 4: So you have a band, a big dog band.
Speaker 5: Oh, not a big dog band, a little dog band. My band is Lithario. It's a punk band. I'm sure many she's on the money listeners. We enjoy the kind of an arcic, feminist punk.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 4: I don't think our team could be any different. Honestly, I know jessic Ricci and I share one brain cell between the two of us, but like the rest of the team, exactly real rogue collection of friends, exactly.
Speaker 5: Bit of a punk Tato Swift is what I try to I'm there channel, is that what they call it.
Speaker 4: I am one hundred percent there for anything that you relate to Taylor Swift. So I'm in. I keep saying to the team we have to go to one of Analisa's live events, and the rest of the team, like Victoria, you'll get kicked out. You do not look like you go there. But I'm going to go anywhere.
Speaker 5: God, audience and all sorts of wile come and please do come along. I will make sure that they crowdsurfe you to the front when to do so.
Speaker 4: I cannot wait for a pregnant person.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you for letting me go. Wait, I am simply delighted.
Speaker 5: And I won't imagine high five you while you're at fin Con.
Speaker 4: I know we're actually really just dropping on the road because Beck we're actually in the US. So we take off mid October to go to New York for a week with the team. We have a whole heap of really exciting interviews coming up with some New York talent. We're also going to iHeart Studios there. We're going to go visit the Penguins studios, and I'm doing a couple of lack five with literacy presentations sadly not. Ye, that's what I was thinking to just the books, the book publisher, publisher.
Speaker 6: Ye, at least the Penguin reception.
Speaker 4: How about I check and report back king Yeah, underrated. Anyway, We're going to New York and then we're going to New Orleans, New Orleans.
Speaker 2: New Orleans, New Orleans.
Speaker 4: J Orleans for a finance conference at which both Jess and I are speaking separately. Which big dog energy Energy? So one of us is on literal who are with our bounds? The others are going to a finance conference. Guess we too.
Speaker 5: We'll have a round table when we get back to report back our findings.
Speaker 4: I love it. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: What a week? What a week?
Speaker 4: What an absolute week? All right, Well, let's dive straight in. I am going to hopefully do the community money Wins Justice and I have a little rap to share with you, guys. Are you ready? You like an actual rap, A little wrap of like the list of Oh no, I knew Jesuita to be here for this episode. I knew bringing the two of you on together was a bad idea. No, No, I have a rap of my favorite money wins from our community. Money wins thread got you from the start of the week, So let me start. We have a money win from Jackie, which I thought was really wholesome. Jackie said, my eight year old son had a stall on our front lawn selling all of his unwanted things. He made over three hundred dollars. He then spent one hundred dollars on himself and put two hundred dollars into savings. Eight years old. What a little legend.
Speaker 5: You know, why, because people can't say no to cute little kids when they're selling stuff out the front of their house.
Speaker 2: Why shake you down for money and you're like to take it off?
Speaker 4: That's very true. Like have you ever walked past the lemonades and run by a five year old? No, because that's illegal.
Speaker 6: It's illegal.
Speaker 4: It's illegal, all right. The next comes from Madeleine, and this is just one of my favorite money wins ever. She says, I paid off my credit card and I closed the account this week. How good is that? And you just know it's good because so many people from our community have replied to that.
Speaker 2: With like love.
Speaker 4: This is such a great feeling, what a huge relief, and like there's more than a hundred likes on that post as well. I love how when we have our money ins, you guys all jump in and celebrate each other. It's my favorite thing ever someone else. So we've got imagen, Imogen said. Last year I won this She's on the Money Christmas giveaway. Guys, we will have another one, don't worry, she said, And I want a thousand dollar jet Star voucher. I recently used part of it to take my plane obsessed toddler to the Cold Coast for her birthday, and on her very first plane ride, she had the best time. And he's constantly asking to go again, and he's pointing out whether she can see quote our plane or a different plane in the sky every day. I often tell people that She's on the money has changed my life. But this is really something that would have been well out of budget for us and never would have happened.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 4: Someone under that said what's their SotM, And someone was like, she's on the money during the group, and I just thought that was really funny to keep to keep us a little bit humble. At the same time. Ellen says, I had my eyes on a desk from my Kia, which was four hundred and thirty dollars including delivery. I just found the same desk or marketplace with a small scratch for fifty bucks, and I've picked it up on Saturday.
Speaker 2: We love it. Yeah, sick.
Speaker 4: Isn't that so good?
Speaker 6: That's great?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: I got two more.
Speaker 4: I've got two more my friends Catherine, She says, I just invested my first ten thousand dollars outside of granuation and maybe doubling it soon due to a trauma insurance payout. It's not the most ideal situation to be in at the age of twenty one. I mean, the process of the AMS diagnosis after a whole bunch of upheaval with my life. But I'm determined to not let it impact my goal and i want to live the life I've always dreamed of. Oh isn't that so wholesome? I'm just like, get a queen. Absolutely. And then my last one is this is from Lysette, and I just thought this never happens in real life. Lisette says, after a really long time of religiously doing that's life puzzles in the magazine every week. No, I had a good win one my.
Speaker 3: God, cross word.
Speaker 2: We need a bell to ring.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, you're doing your crossword, you're having a good weekend or you know, a little afternoon with your kappa. But you didn't think that.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a tim tam, a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry if that's not what you're doing. And you're like Victoria, I'm like on my way to my corporate high flight job.
Speaker 2: Many blanks or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you will be now, yeah, now because you can afford them. But those are my community money wins of the week. Wow, oh my god, ten grand for doing across.
Speaker 6: I used to do those. So I'm going to get actually, I'm gonna get back on them, get back on them.
Speaker 2: Purse.
Speaker 4: Turns out people in our community win them.
Speaker 6: You can win also really quickly, back to the lemonade standing when we said it's illegal, which I wanted to de clasify not selling lemonade illegal, walking past lettas illegal just in case, because my brain went to that and I was like, maybe someone else is doing as a producer.
Speaker 5: I should have picked you up on that, shouldn't I? Oh no, I mean I'm instrolled in the conversation.
Speaker 4: I mean right now, all right, speaking of wins, I feel like a lot of people in our community have recently been having wins because they're actually implementing your bex broke tips.
Speaker 3: Do you think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I am.
Speaker 4: I'm even getting messages now because people are like, they I need this DM to get to Beck, but I don't have Instagram. Here it is, and I'm like, I've got you. I'll screenshot it, I'll text it to her. Let's get it done for our kIPS. Have you got to share with us this week?
Speaker 6: Okay, So the first one comes from Abs who says, hey, Beck, I have a brick tip for you. Every now and then, I get my lushes done for free by What she does is she does is by modeling for a lash tech who teaches classes. So she goes to get her lashes unfree by someone who is supervised by professional. Same thing as hairdressing. She gets a haircut by a hairdressing apprentice, also supervised vive professional does a cut in color free or very cheap at least I know.
Speaker 5: We have an episode on girl Math, well, girl Math and Investing coming up in the not too distant future. I'm getting absolutely sexist. I am getting money lost for me getting my lashes redone before I go away. I can't afford to not because then I'm wasting money on makeup.
Speaker 4: Right, You're right, it's right. I don't have to. So I've been getting my lashes done since I found out I was pregnant because I feel like a sack of potatoes. Like if you put a pair of lashes on a sack of potatoes, the potatoes become pretty.
Speaker 2: So this is potato Head is a hot Have you seen hot?
Speaker 6: She was my childhood crush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who wouldn't.
Speaker 6: I was obviously talking about this potato Head too.
Speaker 4: I love it, So I have been justifying it because I'm like, well, these lashes are going to help me feel like a human being. But if you deserve your lashes, I gotta get a lashes Otherwise I feel like a little bald bandicoot. That's not an option.
Speaker 5: Okay, but all right, but I get them done by the Apprentice too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think I paid fifty dollars for my last ones. Yes, and they're money, the expensive ones.
Speaker 6: I got a full body wax once for free. Full body That's terrifying. It was an experience.
Speaker 4: You're like to take everything from the eyebrows down.
Speaker 2: Wait, I don't even have it.
Speaker 4: But you didn't say that coming I was bad.
Speaker 2: I saw.
Speaker 4: Pray tell all right, definitely off, Mike.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna all right.
Speaker 4: We can talk about this later over actual Friday. But till then I need your other bex broke tip and then I want to hear yours.
Speaker 6: Okay. The sext one is from Marina, who says that they buy a bag or two frozen dumplings and cook them up at home. A bag lasts a few weeks and it is a delicious treat that still lets them feel like they're having a fancy dinner. Ten out of ten recommend actually sounds really good.
Speaker 2: Tiny food makes you feel fancy.
Speaker 4: Things that are like oknake yeah, oh yeah, we do know how to say all but.
Speaker 6: That's not yet mini oreos.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a different train, but it's true. And I feel like every second week or so, dumplings that coals or woolies are on sale, and like, I don't think anyone should be buying their frozen items full price the cycle. You just know they're gonna be on sale. And if a bag of frozen dumplings is fourteen bucks. Absolutely, not like I'm gonna wait until it's seven, thank you. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And also, you know, like frozen spring rolls and get a big box of like two hundred and fifty for like six dollars.
Speaker 4: Where are you getting two hundred and fifty spring rolls? Maybe? All right, well, what's your actual broke tip? Because that was a trash one.
Speaker 6: Okay, My actual broke tip for this week is probably also a little bit of trash, but useful for people like myself in times of need. So there have been times where I've gone to the fridge and gotten out a little thing of butter. There's no butter left, you know, when you have to like really dig into the corners and I just.
Speaker 4: Put it in the microwave and then I pour it all over.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's a great idea, or like, you know, I've used vegetable oil and stuff like things that aren't you know, it's I.
Speaker 4: Would prefer no butter.
Speaker 6: Sometimes when you need you use literally anything mayonnaise anyway, enough of that. But I saw this. I think it was a TikTok of this person who was doubling or even tripling the amount of butter they had by literally just whipping it, maybe adding a little bit of milk and whipping it. And so if you like, if you feel like you need a little bit of butter to last you a long time, or you just literally can't afford butter for the week or whatever, Bougie too, you whip the butter. If you literally can't afford like a handheld electric one, you just whatever you need, like, get some get a fork, get a whisk, whatever, and that will help elongate or prolong Is.
Speaker 4: That the right stretches it?
Speaker 6: It stretches it. Some people cannot afford these things.
Speaker 4: No, but like butter's expensive. Butter is really expensive, and Bougie whipped butter. Kids would love that totally hundred. I love that. That is a very good tip back.
Speaker 6: Thank you all right very much.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a really quick break. But after the break, we're going to be talking about our money dilemma. We've got someone who wants to talk about how to manage various different accounts, and then we are going to be unpacking something you slid into our dams about which this week is all about a partner who doesn't prayer hire savings, don't go anywhere. Guys. All right, we are back my friends. Let's have a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi, She's on the Money Team.
Speaker 7: I recently read your chapter on cash flow, and I'm intending on opening another savings account now. I currently have a short term savings account, and I also have a savings account which I don't make contributions to, which my parents have been contributing to since I was born, which I'm very grateful for. Should I open my new savings account with the intention of it being my emergency fund or long term savings I don't know whether the account which I don't make contributions to should be considered my emergency fund or long term savings account, or am I just overthinking this, thank you.
Speaker 4: I think everyone is good at overthinking it. But Annalisa, I'm just going.
Speaker 2: To jump right in here. V.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're fresh to the table.
Speaker 2: I've highly qualified to answer this question. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, she has her own band as reading from the book of Victoria Devine, I can say, straight up, if you have any consumert you pay that off first.
Speaker 2: But what's the most important thing, your emergency fund fund. Get that emergency fund going, honey.
Speaker 4: So we don't even need me like that. Producer just knows me like the back of her hand.
Speaker 2: She's like Victoria, or that would be terrify.
Speaker 4: I'm being kind of great because I mean, I do last work.
Speaker 5: From and it's it's to get your emergency fund going if you can. And that's not the first thing you should do, of course, pay off anything debt.
Speaker 2: But it sounds un fortunately this.
Speaker 4: If you're not in any consumer debt, you are correct. The next step would be really focusing on an emergency fund as the like kind of next hygiene box to tick. But it's interesting because I don't think you gave us enough context for me to be able to appropriately go, oh, well this that the other. So let's pretend you've got your short term savings account. For me, I wouldn't be looking at short term savings account as something to rely on because obviously it might be for your next holiday, analysa, or it might be for you know, you to get your car serviced or something.
Speaker 2: So she means my short term it's like.
Speaker 4: Usually it's all those things that you have to up. Yeah, it's those things that you have to save for that you will spend the money on in less than twelve months usually, So short term savings is anywhere between. I would say twelve to twenty four months. Anything above and beyond that I would look at as more longer term savings. You mentioned that you have a savings account that your parents will contributing to. That's fantastic, But how much is in that?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: Is that amount enough for an emergency fund? So pretend you have no Pretend you don't have any of those accounts, because at the moment I can tell they're overwhelming you. You're like, where should I be? What should I do? How much do you want in an emergency fund if you've got one? So what does that look like? For most people in our community, they want at least three months worth of their expenses. So we're not talking three months worth of expenses and savings and all your investments. We're just like, all right, Beck, if sh one t hit the fan tomorrow, how much would it cost you for three months to just put food on the table, pay your rent, and pay your bills and be okay? What would that look like? And you might go, oh, V, that's like five thousand dollars, and I go okay, no worries. That might then become your goal for an emergency fund. There's no right or wrong when it comes to emergency funds. Because you might go, V, I see your logic, but I'm an anxious girl. We and I need ten thousand dollars. There might be no rhyme or reason to that. That's just a number that's in your head that makes you feel comfortable. You do you I don't care. You might also go I don't care about an emergency fund. I see you're logic, and I raise you my logic, which is only five hundred dollars in that account, at which point I go, that's fine as long as it's a confident, educated decision where you know that you know our community usually have three months, but you've got some reason as to why you're comfortable with that. Again, there's no right or wrong, there's just guidance where I think everybody always wants a number, right, Like, every time I talk to someone about how much should I be saving, they're always saying what percentage of my income should I be saving? And I go, I can't tell you that because if I said ten percent back, that's wildly inaccurate for a single mum who's on an income of forty thousand dollars, but definitely not enough. If you're a radio podcast producer on four hundred thousand dollars, you know, Sorry, which ones.
Speaker 2: Are ver that much? Hey, I'd like to meet that person?
Speaker 4: No, but do you know what I mean? These things don't make sense for everybody, so we need to make sure that they make sense for our circumstances. So pretend your short term savings aren't there, because you've obviously got that pre allocated. You then need your emergency fund. Whether your emergency fund is that at that your parents have set aside for you or not, it's going to depend on whether you would be willing to get rid of those funds if an emergency arose. So, if your parents have been saving for a really long time, But the intention of that was maybe to be a house to bosit sure or something like that. That's not your emergency fund, my friend. But if you got into, you know, a little bit of a bingle. No one was hurt, but you ran into the back of something a little bit of a prang, would you be happy spending that money on fixing your cut. If the answer is no, we need to not look at that as your emergency savings or your emergency fund. So a long term savings account fantastic, But what are our long term goals? So before you said you had just finished my chapter on cashlow, thank you, you would know that I recommend having at least three savings accounts or a short term, a long term, and an emergency. Do that however you wish. I don't think that there is a right or a wrong, but what I'm hearing is that amount, especially in the tone that you said, oh, my parents have been saving it for a really long time time, I'm going to make the grand assumption that's probably not your emergency fund because the intention of those funds was probably not to get you out of that little bingal that you help with your car. It's probably for longer term goal setting. It might be for a fusure, wedding or a holiday or something life changing. Whereas you might need to work up your emergency fund and have that segregated out. So have a think about what the money wants to go towards, because sometimes money does have emotional attachment, right like your parents save for a really long time. You might not want to blow that because you run a red light and have to do a really expensive spedding fund.
Speaker 2: You know, wise words me very well.
Speaker 4: It's coming to my tech talk guys. All right, let's move on because we have this week a community.
Speaker 5: DN speaking of savings, speaking of savings and spendings, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Posted this on the stories the other day. You guys were spicy to say the least. All right, so here's the DM. Hey ladies, would love to hear your advice. My boyfriend and I have been together for a few months now and things are going so well. Congrats Quen Nice. I feel so happy being with him and I haven't had a connection like this in a long time. But the only thing is we got onto the very fun topic of finances the other day and I found out he only has three thousand dollars in savings. I'm not sure, but is this a red flag to you? We are both in our mid thirties and I have solid savings and an investment portfolio. Now, obviously the relationship is new, but at the same time, at the age of thirty six, I'm thinking about the future and I want to settle down and have a family one day. It's not something i'm judging him on, and it's not like I need my partner to have heaps of money, but it does feel slightly concerning that he doesn't have any financial goals at this age. Do you think I'm overthinking it and I should stop worrying about it, or do you think it's a serious word flag and I should really reconsider this relationship. Please help. She's on the money.
Speaker 2: Good heavens girl, you need to cool your jets. WHOA, I'm just going to jump straight.
Speaker 4: In there, living crisis, Karen.
Speaker 2: Only three thousand dollars, that's so much money.
Speaker 6: Also, someone who saves at all probably has some financial goals saving it.
Speaker 5: Jumps straight to has no financial goals.
Speaker 6: That is a brutal That is me with zero savings listening to that was like, okay, I don't think she would ever take me.
Speaker 4: And but when I started dating my husband, I was in significant personal debt. So walking red flat.
Speaker 5: And mid like, I don't know, I think that's something. Okay, it sounds like we're all on the same side of the table.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're on his side. We're like getting king.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet he's a sweet prince.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you think he's a sweet prince. And now you're looking out of his bank.
Speaker 5: Accounts months like, Okay, my mum gave me a very good piece of advice.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was.
Speaker 4: Is this going to rock my relationship?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 4: Going back?
Speaker 2: I think you did well.
Speaker 5: No new partner, new job, new house, new friends, four months, don't make any opinions up until at least four months in So how many months are we talking? Firstly, yes it's going well.
Speaker 2: If it's not going well in that time, she said three. We're not quite at the four months mark.
Speaker 4: So would she say three?
Speaker 5: Wait, even though she said a few, I think a couple, a few she said a few, okay, very general.
Speaker 4: In my head, a few months is definitely three.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, because a couple, you say, a couple of two, A few is three yeah, wait, another few right, reckon?
Speaker 4: I think I think we need to know more about winning story. We are background. What would your thoughts on this be.
Speaker 6: Are you saying, wait a few months before, Well, I just.
Speaker 5: Think she's like peaking really really quickly and worrying and worrying. Firstly, I think three thousand dollars is perfectly fine, but it also it depends like what does this person do? Do they earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and aren't capable of saving anything? Are they unemployed and they have three thousand dollars? What's anyway? We need a lot, We need so much more information.
Speaker 6: So I guess, like, obviously it depends on if you have joint financial goals. That might make it tricky. If someone's like I actually am probably not going to say, or I actually don't have the same financial goal as you, but like, yeah, it's been three months, wait a little longer. Let's say hypothetically it's been years and they're both trying to say for a house or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, I guess it makes it tricky, but it's I wouldn't call it a red flag. I would be like you know, just maybe if you in a few years time decide to have the same financial goal and only one party is putting in the effort, then just like I don't know, put in this amount, the other person puts in their amount when you go to buy a house or buy a car or whatever. And then if you ever sell it, you get yours back, they get theirs back. You don't split everything in the middle. You don't have to split everything in the middle. You know what I mean, doesn't really be equity. Yes, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think, don't worry, beg things, just don't worry, story, just talk.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think to summarize me, put a bookmark in that page, in that part of the chapter, and you revisit that a little bit further down the line, because I think it's a bit soon to.
Speaker 6: Be yes, you know, highlight it.
Speaker 4: I like that you know he has three thousand dollars in savings, because that, to me is a reflection that you've had some conversations about money, which is very positive, especially at that point in a relationship, like early on, like you kind of like bury your heads in the sand. As I said before, when I got with my now husband, I was in significant personal debt and I hit it for a really long time. I didn't like lie about it, but I just didn't tell him. And then when I did tell him, he was kind of like a red flag. But weally love. So this is a bit deep, and you're like, haha, sucker, don't do what I did, Like do what I say, not as I do. Like Anyway, I just think it's such a hard situation to be in because you don't know enough about the money story and where that's come from, Like, you know, has he just been a party boy? Like has he just been living his best life? Did he just beend thirty dollars the year before going and having this euro trip of dreams and had saved up for that, and you know, had gone I'm single, I'm going to live my best life. And then he's met you the love of his life, and his priorities are going to shift. I'm not trying to romanticize it. Nobody needs to have the same life goals. But I remember I was in personal debt and I have my head in the sand until I met my husband, and I was like, oh, I really need to get my stuff together, Like I really want to build a life with this person. I really want to share these financial goals and buy a house and all of that. But up until that point I was kind of like, bere, I just do what I want. I'm a single lady. I don't even care, and like, I just think that that's valid. Also, we're in the middle of a cost of living crisis. Like three grand is a lot of money to have in the bank, and if you look at what the average Australian can do, the average Australian cannot access five hundred dollars in an emergency. He's above and beyond that.
Speaker 6: Get a king, get it.
Speaker 4: Like that's so good, that's financial security. Maybe that's his emergency fund totally. Maybe he's working his way up in a Korea where he, you know, actually has been really really poorly paid. I don't know, you haven't told me. Maybe he's been a med student for the last seven years and has lived off twenty thousand dollars a year, and all of a sudden, he's gonna, you know, go do his training as an anethetist and be on half a million dollars a year in the next ten years total. Like you don't know that you haven't given me that context, So I think it's important to sit down not necessarily judge how much he has, but more those money habits, Like is this because you know he's been on a drug ram page and he has a co co addiction? You don't know? But do you know what I mean? There's so many different things that come into this and I don't think it's our place to judge, nor do I think it is your place to judge. But if you see a future with this person talking about, well, what does saving together look like in the future, Probably not three months in let's be honest, Like to me, if you were getting a shared account at three months, I'd be like baybread flats. But just having these conversations, do you want to plan holidays together? If so, what does contributing to those holidays together look like? If you want to you know, let's pretend it's a year down the track and you're like, oh, we really want to get married and have a baby and all of this other stuff. What does that type of contribution look like? Because they're all different, right, Like, you know, he might not have had financial goals until he found meaning in his life, and you might be that meaning I don't want to be too dramatic, but like, you just don't know what you don't know because this dude literally had no financial literacy like I was when I was younger, got himself into a mountain of debt, just gotten out of it. And that's the first three grand he's saved. And he's so ridiculously proud of that because he has gone from being in massive amounts of consumer debt having three grand in the bank. Are you now downplaying it because you're like, oh.
Speaker 2: It's not much.
Speaker 4: Is that a red flag?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Look at what he's done. Sure, does that make sense?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just think it's way.
Speaker 2: Too early too for our community. Judge.
Speaker 5: It's like, we've got to not spend too long on this. But I just thought of something that could throw a little bit of it. And I'm interested in your perspective on this. A little bit of a devil's advocate here. Oh okay, If this is so triggering her and she's peaking this much this quick, maybe he's not the right one for her, right and it's not actually about him, it's about her. Maybe she's really insecure, Like it sounds to me like she's very frantic and very anxious about this stuff.
Speaker 2: So actually, also, maybe.
Speaker 5: Babe, if you're red flagging at this point, then you shouldn't try to change him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, do you know what, It's easier to change the man than his financial priorities. I'm telling you that right now, I just switch out the man. Yeah, you'll be right. That's probably terrible advice, but it's really easier to change the man change a man. I see what you're saying, Like, you can't change somebody, So just maybe.
Speaker 2: This person needs like a someone on Shark Tank. Yeah, whoever, those people are.
Speaker 4: All right, let's ask the community. Yes, I was surprised by this. Forty eight percent of you thought that was a red flag. Oh no, all right, and then asked do you think money matters more in a relationship the older you are? Eighty two percent of you said yes.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: Do you think you need to have similar money values and goals for a relationship to work?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, correct. Eighty eight percent of you said yeah, Okay, Well, we said if this were you, what would you do? So two percent of you said we'd consider ending in the relationship. I'm happy with that. Eighty eight percent of you said I'd talk to them about my concerns. Communication is friends, and ten percent of you said just stop overthinking it and go and enjoy your relationship.
Speaker 5: I think we're part of the ten percent.
Speaker 4: I would talk to them about it. I wouldn't bring up, hey, I'm concerned that you only have X. I would literally just be like, hey, how'd you grow up around money? Like, let's have these money compact.
Speaker 2: A psychological deep dip right now.
Speaker 4: But my poor husband, I'm always like, so, how do you feel about that? And he's like, yeah, good, and I'm like, that's not good enough. Excuse what are you going to say?
Speaker 1: Now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Did you just deep dive in tell you're feeling right now? Why do you think you were so defensive when you said, yeah, fine, yeah, sure, fair en not lucky? All right? So then we said what are your two cents? With love to hear let me read out some of the responses I've obviously summarized. If you and one of you said, the amount isn't a red flag? The lack of goals is? I get that, But also, how do you know he doesn't have any goals?
Speaker 6: We know that's how do you know?
Speaker 4: Because you're wondering whether three thousand dollars is a red flag. But you haven't asked what that three grand.
Speaker 6: Is for, yes, or where it came from, how you got here?
Speaker 4: Someone said, do you know that he doesn't have any other money or investments somewhere else? Or is there a genuinely good reason for this amount?
Speaker 6: M M?
Speaker 4: Has he potentially gambled in his life? Is something that someone else has ansked? Definitely speak to him because financial security is important in a relationship, and it's clearly important to you. Someone said, there could be a lot more going on behind the scenes. You need to ask. Someone else said, Paul, your head in three grands a lot of money. I'm like, yeah, that's absolutely correct. Someone else said, my marriage has ended recently for this reason. Oh, but it's true. Like communication is key if you're not on the same page as your partner, Like finances are so deeply intertwined. Like if you're not on the same page financially as your partner, you're just going to feel as though you're going in completely different directions. If one of you wants to do this big life goal thing and the other doesn't, like at some point, that's going to feel like a very big spanner in the works. Yeah, Like, and it doesn't matter what it is. It might be a holiday, it might be buying a house, it might be buying a dog. But these things get in the way of having a successful relationship. Someone else has said, look, three grands still shows some ability to save. I think it's way better than finding out he has debt that he hasn't told you about. Sure, couldn't agree more. Someone said, how much money would you have expected him to have? What would have made you happy?
Speaker 6: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: It's a bit of a perfect question that I didn't even ask. Girl was like, well, what were you expect right, Like, what if you saw five grand? Would that be okay? Were you expecting fifty thousand? We were expecting half a million dollars?
Speaker 5: Like yeah, I love that one about debt too. It's like, what if he has ten grand, but he's got like, you know, thousands of dollars worth of debt, many thousands of dollars?
Speaker 2: Is that better because it's like totally, he's got one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, one hundred percent. Obviously there were hundreds of other responses here, but this one I will leave you with It was I think it's really important that you sit down and talk about your money stories. He has a life that he lived before you, and it might be beautiful to share that.
Speaker 6: Lovely, I love that such as she's I love our community so.
Speaker 4: Much because I'm always like, yes, that's exactly what I would have said.
Speaker 6: Totally. We're all on our own journey and.
Speaker 4: We're all on the same page.
Speaker 2: It seems. Communication is key.
Speaker 6: Communication is can communication ess and anyway.
Speaker 4: Fluffy stuff, all of that fluffy stuff, all right, Unfortunately, guys, I do think that is all we have time for today. So we hope you have the best Friday. Anna Lisa, thank you for joining us on the show, and have the best time when touring the United States with your actual real life.
Speaker 2: The right back at you, Victoria Devine.
Speaker 4: Imagine invited to the US to tour like it wasn't even that you decided to do that. You were invited to tour the United.
Speaker 5: Is actually stopping about it, and you're invited to speak. So I cannot wait to hear about the best from fin Con. I'm hopefully we're going to get some of it on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of it on the show. You'll definitely get some of it on the show. I'm obviously excited about that because I cannot wait to talk about financial literacy. But it's Friday, we have to go. Do you have the best weekend and we'll see you bright early for a money Daria on Monday.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper p t y lt D A b N three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine