Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian No Show podcast. How was your weekend, Shackie boy, you met a snake?
Speaker 2: I had an uncomfortable last night, having come face to face with my own mortality yesterday afternoon. Patsy, you probably have experienced this being a country girl, But for me, I had never seen a tot of snake before.
Speaker 3: You know what, when we were when we first moved here, I just thought all of you had lived around snakes your whole night. I thought Australia, basically, judging from sort of reports that we get the other side of where England is basically a giant snake.
Speaker 2: Dit Like as much as you would see a dog, we would see. Yes, yes, I've seen brown snakes. I've never seen a tiger before.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: It does not to physically to your body. That's an ancient like an ancient your ancient brain, was it? The reptilian brain noses under threat, your hair stand up. You literally stopped ice cold.
Speaker 2: Dead, and well you jump backwards. I jumped backwards before I realized, before my brain processed that it was a snake.
Speaker 3: Yes, amazing. The physical reaction happens kicks him before you're aware, before you can even compute, So what happened?
Speaker 1: Where were you? So?
Speaker 2: I was up at the cabin where we're trying to get the solar panels where we did the boys weekend, and I'm filming a video for my dad to say, this is the yard work that I want you to do when we're up here next weekend.
Speaker 1: Your's amazing courage.
Speaker 3: You know, he had him around the other week picking up dog crap from his own gardens. He's retired, people, I mean I'm now, I'm now never going to retire or I just expected to pick up dog ship, get a shove l, pickup boots.
Speaker 2: I'm giving him fun things to do. You're doing him a favorite slave labor. So I'm making a video of the wheeze and stuff that he can pull.
Speaker 1: That's it. Put him to work.
Speaker 3: An old man unable to physical be made to work your lap.
Speaker 2: And then I get a shot because I swing the camera around and I see my new friend, the tiger snakes sitting on a step on the bottom step.
Speaker 1: House in a chain of recliner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of that goes from the house into the garden.
Speaker 1: Oh j Just snakes don't just sit there.
Speaker 2: They bake in the size sat there.
Speaker 1: His feet.
Speaker 2: Slithering implies that he's going from one point A to point B, but he is parked.
Speaker 5: There stunning himself.
Speaker 2: They're all out, He was stunnying.
Speaker 1: What do you mean they're out?
Speaker 5: Well, it's that time of year. They're waking from their slumber's been all the water. Well, yeah, the water could be pushing them out, especially up that way where you are. Definitely, you know when pushing it out.
Speaker 2: Makes it sound like he was trying to sleep.
Speaker 1: Water water.
Speaker 5: Covering floods. Back in nineteen ninety one, Wangarada was completely cut off from the rest of the state, and I remember there was a farmer. I went out on a dingy with a farmer to do some voice reports for three a w.
Speaker 1: This is classic reporting, isn't it. This weekend right terrible flies for some of Victoria.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's heyday if your news reporter, isn't it. There's a lot of this pointing going on at bodies of water, like you're watching it going flood, you're gonna have to point it out. I see lots of water up to doorways. Can you point There's just a lot of like pointing and stuff. There must have been a rush on gum boots this weekend from local news reporters.
Speaker 1: So you actually get in a dingy. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we went in this dingy out on this farm. And you're not going to believe this, but we went under this massive, big gum tree and he said don't look up, and I said, what do you mean don't? And of course, naturally I looked up and there were all these snakes up in the tree, on a tree. Snakes on a tree. They were escaping the water. Yeah, and they're all wrapped around the branch as it was horrendous.
Speaker 1: Horror movie it was. And we all like looking down at you with their snake.
Speaker 5: Eyes saying, hey, Patsy, how are you?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? I had like sort of American actions, a gal like you.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: I was like something out of it. I had nightmare.
Speaker 3: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. So over the weekend, Jack was out of his cabin and he was making a video to center his retired dad of work that his retired dad would need to do around.
Speaker 2: We would do together. It would be a father son.
Speaker 3: This is this audio commentary before Jack craps his pants when he sees a snake. It's basically like you're instructing some sort of foreman.
Speaker 1: You know, he's going to work the land.
Speaker 2: We'll take the wage out, get riddle long grass and this finey stuff, this finy stuff. I was gonna have to go head to pull that down. We'll take the wage out, get riddle long grass and this finny stuff down the side. Will just clean that up. Oh hello, sir, Hey, you scared me.
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 3: Who on earth says to a snake? Hello, we roll over and eleticularly or belly.
Speaker 2: You don't know what you're going to do in the moment.
Speaker 1: Do not go hello.
Speaker 2: This was a confronting site. Six foot long?
Speaker 5: How big was it like?
Speaker 1: Six foot long? Come on? The video does not look six.
Speaker 2: Foot as thick as a bottle of wine.
Speaker 3: It's about it's about twenty centimeters on the video.
Speaker 1: It is not six No, I must have been a way.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got a snake catch on the line here. This is Stewie the snake Catcher. Good morning, Stewie, Good morning?
Speaker 1: Are we yeah? Yeah, we're good. So have you seen Jack's videos? Chewy?
Speaker 4: I did? I did. I can't confirm that it is a tiger snake. Ok, it's snake in the.
Speaker 2: World four, top fourth, top five.
Speaker 1: That is big. That is big. So and what should Jack have done other than say hello.
Speaker 4: Sir, Absolutely, he just remained calm, step back and give them, give the snake plenty of space, nothing to do with us. Snake's more scared of Jack than Jack was of the snake, so.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it. Romaine Colmes to you, thank you for that now in the video and we got up on the Instagram if people want to see this terrifying site. The snake has like a cobra type neck, some type of tiger cross cobra.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, So what that is is that is a threat defense mechanism. So you can imagine if a snake, something bigger than the snake was to approach it, the snake would have been flatten out and make itself look as big and scary as it possibly could.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see like like a peacock fanning its feathers.
Speaker 4: Pretty much the same technique. Yeah, every animal has their own defense mechanism, and the snake is that. And also another fact for snakes and reptiles, they're ectothermic, which means they need to go out and absorb heat through artificl you know, different things. So they have to go out and sit in the sun to be able to absorb the heat to warm their bodies up. Now, if they stay in the sun too long, well that's really go over heat and they him die. So that's why Jack's snake was sitting there nice and safe in next to the long graph, but just enough that he could warm himself up, and that if something was to come and possibly threatened the snake, and the snake's self threatened, it could pull back straight into the grass and just appear very quickly.
Speaker 2: So if I had not seen him still and kept walking down those steps, would he have got me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I think he would have.
Speaker 4: No, he would He would have stood as still as possible until you got very very close, and then he might have jumped back. And then yeah, you would have. You would have seen him, and he would have taken off one hundred miles an hour the other direction.
Speaker 3: Now, tell with this steet, with the floods over the last couple of days, and what you're saying about how they're seeking more heat, will we see more snakes around places now because they're obviously wet or damp.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been absolutely run off my feet. The last few days with all the floods, I've been working closely with Big Pole and a few councils pulling snakes out of floodwaters. And we are going to see a few more snakes. If you can imagine any waterways house the number of different wildlife down there. So as that water rises, everything needs to go, you know, see higher ground and move away. At the moment, snakes are looking to get up high. So any trees that are in the floodwaters will have snakes in them and other wildlife. As that water starts to received, you'll see the snakes starting to move along and yeah, moving around. So if you do come across the snake, and you know, you just need to be mindful that the snake is terrified being flashed out of the time, just give it plenty of space. Call Wildlife Victoria, call a license snakecatch.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: Just get coffee, said, are you still here when I get back? But I'm just gonna go and call my head.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The most important thing that we need to realize, Yes, snakes are dangerous, but they're only dangerous if we interact and interfere with them, if we give them plenty of space. They want nothing to do with that.
Speaker 1: Move on there on, Now tell me this.
Speaker 3: I've always wanted to know this because I've obviously been English terrified at snake's right, Say I get stung?
Speaker 1: Right? What should I do if I get stung by a snake?
Speaker 3: Am I to lie down very very still, to not get the blood pumping around my body and wait for help or pray for death?
Speaker 4: Firstly, Christian, you won't get stung by a snake. You will be bitten by a snake. Any If you are bitten by a snake, the first thing you do is come a compression immobilization bandage technique is the required first aid for it. However, if you don't have one, just sit still, call an ambulance and let the help come to you. You know, we probably average around three thousand snake by each year in Australia and only one point four average people die per year from snake bite. Half the average. Between one and two people a year die from bite, and usually that's because they don't get help in time, or they're out in the bush, you know, and just simply can't can't get help. But Australia is very very efficient with first aid and when it comes to snake bite, they take no chances. Treated correctly, you've got a very very high success rate as pulling proved great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, stew With the Snake Man. That is this snatcher Stewey the Snake Man, Stewie. This has been great. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: No problems.
Speaker 1: Go hey Stewiet. If people want to give you a call, give yourself a.
Speaker 4: Plug, study the Snakecatcher on Facebook or contact us on one three hundred reptile.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Add that to live reads I do every day. One three hundred reptile. I'm not going to cool triple zero if I get so. Jerry Stewie, come save me. Suck it out, Stewey a brighter not.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Christian O Carl Show podcast.