Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money. The po gus that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is my personal and our favorite day of the week because we get to get our team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community, Miss Jess Gricci, She's here sharing our favorite money wins from the group. Beck is going to be here sharing her broke tips and we'll be helping to answer a money dilemma.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you have to sell.
Speaker 4: Your house because of a divorce and then something that you slid into our dms about are you being dodgy when you don't tell a shop that you know they're undercharging you?
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I feel like it is really interesting.
Speaker 4: But before we get there, guys, how have your weeks been that Ma's been good.
Speaker 5: It's been a little crisp in the air, if you will, But I don't like it. Oh, I do you miss summer already?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is going to.
Speaker 4: Sound so dumb as someone with a wardrobe full of clothes you don't.
Speaker 2: Have any winter outfits.
Speaker 5: I feel exactly the same, and it happens to be every.
Speaker 4: Day and keeps that every recording I have had over the last few weeks for the podcast, I have worn these pair of jeans because like, I get overwhelmed looking in my wardrobe being like what do I wear? Like it's not going to be super warm, but like I also don't want to be cold, ye, but I want to look good. Yeah anyway, Like that's the biggest first world dilemma. So maybe you and I can sit down and make like a Pinterest vision board of like our winter wardrobes, because I just want to be able to walk into my wardrobe and have a few ideas of the outfits I have, but I don't want.
Speaker 2: To buy anything new.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I know I have cute stuff and I just have cute stuff. Yeah, but so do you, and I know you do, so like we need to just like I don't know, match outfits for each other or something, because like I'm not buying more winter clothes. No, I'm thirty three. Like they take up so much. I have a wardrobe.
Speaker 2: You go on a whale starts and then everything's happening. Yeah, but in summer, I don't need a coat.
Speaker 6: Well that's when it's cheapest, and then you'll be thinking about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, but at that point, I don't need a coat. I already have coats.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is cheap, but I'm being impulsive, and then come winter, I'm like I.
Speaker 2: Wish I was more impulsive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I haven't managed to crack the cycle anyway, beck House, you're weak being because I've gotten off track completely.
Speaker 6: We've been really good. I'm a little bit sick, so I apologize in advance. Fie you get away from us. I know I'm lucky.
Speaker 2: These studio is so big.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like we're at a safe distance right now. But you know what, you know, you have that thing like the back of your throat is itchy, but also the nose holes and so you can't like you kind of like you can't scratch. Yeah, exactly, do that thing with your tongue and then you anyway.
Speaker 2: You need to have some honey, like coat your throat in some honey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, honey, I feel like I want to get a comb and just like car in the back.
Speaker 2: I totally get that.
Speaker 4: But this is the time when everybody who you know, when you like get really sick and you're like, I did not appreciate being able to breathe, yeah, some kind of something instantly.
Speaker 2: This is the time, Jess, breathe in. Yeah, take advantage you got, but we value that. Yeah, I feel good.
Speaker 5: Everyone who's listening right now, take a second.
Speaker 2: Breathe in, ye, breathe in.
Speaker 4: I'm so great appreciate the times that you can breathe clearly use winter is coming, it's.
Speaker 2: Not going to stick around.
Speaker 6: I'm so grateful for those moments when I'm when I'm sick, but I so take to take advantage when you really, you know, when you have like a tongue alcer and you're like, I can't remember what it's like to eat without being in excruciating when I get ulcers.
Speaker 4: So when I get very stressed, I get ulcers. Jess has seen them before. They are hectic. Like one time I was like, Jess, I've got this really bad also, and she's like, yeah, yeah, whatever whatever, and I was like, do you want to see it? And she's like yeah, And I pull down my bottom lip and it's the entirety all my black around my teeth, like along the bottom of my like it was heavy, like five centimeters long.
Speaker 2: And she's like, oh shit, put that away. That is like mostly ulsa, you know, I mean disgusting.
Speaker 4: Like it got to the point where I'm like not talking, like I'm like trying to talk with my mouth not move.
Speaker 2: It was painful.
Speaker 4: So I've just decided maybe I should lower the stress levels in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, fair, fair.
Speaker 4: It hasn't happened in a very long time though. So do you know what my favorite magnem is at the moment. It's no, no, it's the white chocolate one.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: It's like a white chocolate magdem with the passion fruit and then biscuit in the crumb, getting worse though. That's nice, it's getting worse. That is the best ice cream. But I do find that there is a divide. There are people who believe fruit in ice cream is acceptable, and there are people who think the fruit in ice cream is the devil. And I feel like you were like fruit ice cream.
Speaker 2: No, it should be chocolate. Absolutely, no, exactly legal.
Speaker 6: You're eating dessert. Because you're eating dessert, you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to get healthy.
Speaker 4: See, I'm going to say something controversial, and I do not believe in mixing nuts with chocolate.
Speaker 2: Oh, I completely for a teller. Oh no, that's okay, that's different.
Speaker 4: But like pieces of nuts and fruit in chocolate should be illegal, like the fruit, fruits and the fruit and nut block illegal.
Speaker 5: Like what like a hazel share.
Speaker 2: That's a different, that's an experience. That's an experience. A lot. There's a lot of food nuts in chocolate in general. Everything, Well, that's you know what. I'm just going to stick to money. I'm not a food blogger. You can leave that.
Speaker 4: He can be like the food content creator and he can make all of the root Yeah, he can make all of the rules. He actually made me dinner last night, which was yeah.
Speaker 2: So slay. He made the most delicious chili honey butter. Chili honey butter, just like a whipped butter with honey and chill, like a chili creast. He said through it. Wow, lovely gives.
Speaker 4: And he was like, Oh, you don't have to eat the bread and butter if you don't want Sorry.
Speaker 2: It's the best bit. I beg your part exactly? Did you want nothing? Yes? Seriously? Anyway, moving on, V.
Speaker 4: How's your week? Oh, my week's been good. I had dinner at a friend's.
Speaker 2: House last night. They looked for me.
Speaker 4: I've been up very late, like I didn't get home until like nearly midnight, which, if you know me, that's not okay.
Speaker 2: See, and I'm very tired today. I don't regret it, but I am very tired.
Speaker 4: In fact, I ordered a large coffee, which, again, if you know me, I never do because I believe in like get a small coffee at the start of the day, which means I can have another one later in the day. And if I get a large at the start of the day, I've capped out my caffeine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: And it's not because there's rules on caffeine. It's because I'll be a jittery mess. Yeah, it's going to work for me. But today I'm going to be a jity mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They love laugh absolutely.
Speaker 4: Anyway, week's been good. I'm still on a high from going to Canberra. Guys, the budget is so hot, Like, oh, that was the coolest thing I interviewed the Minister for Finance and women say less like I'm still just I'm just excited about the fact that I did that.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 4: Anyway, still keep talking about it. The media is still talking about.
Speaker 2: How influencers were invited to Parliament House and they don't believe in that, and it made me angry.
Speaker 4: Made me so angry, especially like Millie Millie Rose Millie Rose fannas she ripped a new one on TV.
Speaker 2: I could not believe what the project did to her.
Speaker 4: Like Millie is an incredible human being who has created a charity from scratch, Like I'm going to put the links to her charity and thew it's called All Kinds, And she is honestly one of the coolest people ever. She's created this charity, she's having a really big impact. She does really beautiful content online and is not someone that you would say oh, influencer, right. No, she has a ambassadorship through Lulu Lemon, which honestly sligh from Lulu Lemon to pick up someone who is genuine only impactful in this space and go, you know what, We're gonna work with you directly because impact totally. And they essentially distilled her down to just being a Lulu Lemon Ambasssetta.
Speaker 2: I did not mention anything about her charity, did not.
Speaker 4: Mention anything about why she might have been there to understand how change is being facilitated at Parliament House.
Speaker 2: I was actually so mad for them.
Speaker 4: We had, i would say, second teer news outlets reaching out to people like me for comment being like, what do you think about influencers being at Parliament House?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 4: Just because I was there for Tuesday. I was actually there for the Wednesday. Obviously, I didn't make any type of comment because I'm like, I'm not perpetuating this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be so real. I left them on red.
Speaker 4: But I'm actually so angry because at the end of the day, these quote influencers, if you look at every single one of them, they are either a finance content creator or a social media content creator that is tapping into a market of people, usually women, who aren't understanding politics. What a better way to get more people talking about politics than getting the people that you already are engaging with talking about it.
Speaker 2: And it's just a point.
Speaker 5: It's this divide and I know we're biased, but like old media and new media, or traditional media and new media, the way that new media is looked down upon when you have outlets like The Daily Os and as you were saying Millie Charity that they are engaging people in a way that they haven't been before, it also mad me.
Speaker 4: Really, not one was paid to be there, To be very clear, I've seen a lot of liberal content come out recently saying, oh, these influences were probably paid to be here. No, we were offered an opportunity and a seat at the table and we took it. In fact, for a lot of these influences, it cost them a lot to be there because they were taking time out of their business, They were changing their plans to be able to attend this, which they thought would be impactful for their communities. There was no money exchanged. It was we got off at a seat at a table, and I was like, heck, yeah, I'm taking that. I'm taking up space in a place that I've never felt welcome before.
Speaker 2: Right, how cool? That is really cool.
Speaker 4: Why aren't we talking about the fact that politics is becoming more approachable, Like, at the end of the day, I'm excited about this. You guys probably not as engaged with the budget as I was. Every year I do like a little budget rap of like my favorite things out of the budget or the things that I think are going to impact you the most, and like I don't mean to toot our own horn, I do a little bit. But at the end of the day, I posted a screenshot of my notes app from the frantic notes I was taking about the budget as I was watching it, and that got thousands of likes. And these traditional media outlets who were posting about influencers being in Parliament House and whatnot, they got like four likes on their budget posts. Be for real, people are in real time engaging with our content. Maybe you should be doing some reflecting about how that is being person and maybe take a leaf out of our book. At the end of the day, we are without filter sharing our opinions. They're going through editor after editor getting signed off for their content.
Speaker 2: Nah, people are over it.
Speaker 5: And just the fact that the majority of creators that were being taken down were female to really upset me. And I think again, like there's a lot of old bias, particularly when it comes to the political space, and it was really disappointing to see that play out. And it was really hard to see, you know, Milli and you and Tash and Emma and we had.
Speaker 2: A lot of I was angry. But do you know what MILLI like?
Speaker 4: Go look it up because Millie handled herself with such grace and she clapped back at them on National TV and Icon. I'm desperate to watch it. I'm going to show you straight after this. Anyway, let's move on from this because they could go on and on. Do you guys want me to read you a five star review?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please say less? All right, sit down.
Speaker 4: This one is from Little Deer Hue five stars. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for educating me about finances and money overall. I would never have been this educated if it wasn't for your podcast and engaging content.
Speaker 2: I am so grateful for you. Oh c, thanks, Lil Dear, thank you name yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's like dad Eer so it's like the Little Animal, very very cute, But let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Jess.
Speaker 4: You've been in the community this week looking at everyone's comments. What are your favorite money wins?
Speaker 2: Alrighty.
Speaker 5: Firstly this week, I've got one from Rachel, who said during my local Polarates Studios open day, they ran free classes all morning and they provided a goodie bag which had various freebies and discounts for local stores in the area. She got a discount code for a free class, and then she won an extra ten free classes on top of that, so she managed to walk away with twelve free classes POLARATEI Socks, Coffee, who Stunt voucher, and a bunch of other discounts.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. Influencer revenge tonight. Love it. Yeah, I think that's so cool.
Speaker 5: Next, I got the money in from Asha, who said it is dividend month for me.
Speaker 2: We love a dividend month. I love that for you.
Speaker 5: Money win from Rachel, who said she got her house evaluated to sale. She spent the last six months renowing it, and they did it all themselves. Turns out it's worth more than one hundred thousand dollars than they thought it would be.
Speaker 4: So you made one hundred grand in the last twelve months, baby pretty much.
Speaker 5: She said, once they sell the money, we'll be able to help them continue their IVF journey, which is really exciting. They've spent a lot of money on it with no luck.
Speaker 2: But fingers crossed for you, Rachel.
Speaker 4: I've got all my fingers and all my toes crossed and I'm sending you all the baby dust.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Next lot of money win from Crystal, who said she has two hundred and eleven dollars left to spend from her salary packaging in the meal and entertainment category. Instead of going out blowing on dinner, she's going to buy a heap of food and freeze it. But she's got her meals all set up, okay, she's not had money on groceries.
Speaker 2: Great ideas.
Speaker 4: And I was talking about like salary sacrificing the other day, and if you do salary sacrifice, it would be a good time now to just do a bit of a review and an audit of like whether this year you used all of your salary packaging because it was it worth it? Because so many of us go, yeah, we'll totally be worth it. But then if you're spending it on dining and eating out? Could that have gone to something better? I'm not saying don't dine out.
Speaker 2: That is not me.
Speaker 4: I'm not a restriction girly, but if you didn't actually use it, because like lots of us are aspirational. Yeah, Like I'm a new mum. Do you know how many times I've said we'll go out for dinner. We are not going out for dinner. Like bedtime is seven thirty, I'm not leaving the house. You can have uber eats.
Speaker 2: My husband will meet you at the gate, because if you wake up the baby, you are dead. To me.
Speaker 4: But I think so many of us over estimate how much we'll spend. Yeah, so like do a little bit of an audit, do a little bit of a check that pre financial yeah, and of financial year prep.
Speaker 5: And then lastly, this week, I've got a money in from Alex who said she moved houses recently and it's forced her to go through the pantry with a fine tooth comb. She's managed to cook and bake heaps of stuff with you know, ingredients and bits and pieces she already had, which meant the grocery bill has been so much lower the pace.
Speaker 2: Oh cod, that's good, such a good feeling. Yeah, and that's it for me, lovely. Oh, it's your turn there, Well, if I may.
Speaker 6: I'm very excited about these ones, actually, but I also don't want to talk it up too much because.
Speaker 2: You might be to this point.
Speaker 4: All right, well, let's just give us the first one and we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: This first one comes from Alex with y love that name, oh cute, who says that if you.
Speaker 2: Just look into like Coals and Wars.
Speaker 6: They have the knows every day extra and whatever the Coals equivalent is. And with this subscription sometimes it's half priced. So let's say thirty five dollars for the whole year, Yes, and then you get half price.
Speaker 2: Delivery, I believe.
Speaker 6: But you also get every single month ten percent off. I know this tould be true for the wool wors. I don't know about Coals. I'm sure there's an equivalent for that. But if you do your grocery shopping once a month with that ten percent off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it always asks me at check out do you want to use it on this this transaction?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm buying ten dollars worth of groceries for lunch today, Like I do not want to be wasting that, but I always get a little bit of a pang of anxiety, thinking I'll click the wrong button and then I'll waste that.
Speaker 6: Right of the big shop and don't go ever again.
Speaker 4: Don't go to all wars for the rest of the month, and then use the calls one the week after.
Speaker 2: Thank them. You're saying loyalty doesn't pay.
Speaker 6: Yes, Oh, actually, you know, I was thinking of just getting the one, but you could do the two, great idea, and if you're in a couple, then you get I'm assuming if you're both buying one, you get the double.
Speaker 4: Of the whole household a great Don't call Woolworst and ask them whether that's ethical. I don't know if they're like, oh, one per household, Like we can't hear you. Sorry, sorry, sorry, you cut out.
Speaker 6: Sorry, that's a that's a strange sounding tunnel. So Alex said that the best wait until this goes half priced, maybe your boxing day, so maybe you're after.
Speaker 2: Payday sales and you really do get.
Speaker 6: Way more out of it than it's actually So that's my first break tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's number two?
Speaker 6: The second one is actually from a close friend of ours, a friend of the pod uh producer has.
Speaker 2: Given us to go.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to get her on the show at some point because she is the savviiest person ever. And I know that she's been feeding you broke tips in the background.
Speaker 2: I just know.
Speaker 4: I know she's been here going so clever beck under the table. Here's another broke tip. Yes, it's so clever.
Speaker 6: So this one Emma has tried and it has proven to be true. So what you do is you google. If you're getting takeaway, you google Dominoes. Yeah, I believe you go to the website. Wouldn't hurt you go out, You just press back. You Google pizza hut. Yeah, and there should be an ad that comes up at the top of the marketing.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, okay, they're getting real crafty, but right now we're using their marketing to our advantage exactly.
Speaker 6: And then it comes up at the top, just little little ads saying Dominoes forty percent off and so you get dominant.
Speaker 2: That's so smart? Is that? That is so that is saving money for ads. Jess is aware of this.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you're aware of this, but if you google Facebook ads library, you can find the Facebook Ads Library and then once you're on that page, you can type in your favorite brands. So say you love Naked Harvest. Sorry Georgie, but I'm using you as an example, So you love Naked Harvest. You can then type in Naked Harvest into the Facebook ads library and it will come up with every single ad that they're running, and usually one of them is going to be a remarketing promotion, and you can just.
Speaker 2: Click into it.
Speaker 4: Oh and you can be like, oh cool, there's my ten percent discount code. God, that's good spam, so clever. You can just see all of the ads that they're running.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, that is so good. Yeah, genius.
Speaker 4: But I want pizza always, and now we've got the hack Absimilarly.
Speaker 6: It's dangerous because docs is already pretty cheap, so I feel like it's cheaper than just Double Shop.
Speaker 4: They won't sponsor us anytime soon because we are undercutting them, But I have no regrets.
Speaker 2: Now, what is your broke tip?
Speaker 6: Okay, my one. I saw this little thing and it was on like Instagram, but it made me think. It's called zif to z yft, but I believe it's very similar to if you go into like the shops and you literally just I'm not sure the equivalent is for iPhones, but my one's called Google image search, where.
Speaker 2: You just like Google image Google limit to perfect perfect.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: Right, So if you go into a shop and then you literally just Google image search anything that you want to buy, it's quite time consuming, I'm sure. But if you go in and you're like, I'm going to spoil myself and buy a really nice olive oil, you just Google image search.
Speaker 2: You see all the shopping will come up.
Speaker 6: Everything, every price anywhere will come up in this Google image search, hopefully, and you'll be able to see if it's cheaper somewhere else. And it's honestly genius genius. So I think even if it's like something that is that looks the same, if it's a shirt, the sail was in sas.
Speaker 2: No, but it's genius. It's genius.
Speaker 6: It's genius atop a shirt of lounge anything trying.
Speaker 2: To get its cheaper than its savers. It wasn't.
Speaker 6: It was Vinnie's in Richmond, and it's extremely expensive.
Speaker 2: They're taking the mickey, they really are, And I'm like, this is an opportunity shop. That's what shop is for. So people who cannot afford this kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Feel like so many of them are taking the mickey. I totally okay, you shouldn't be taking a dantage of it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I don't like it and it was donated, Okay, so I mean get it actual Pierce.
Speaker 2: But okay, I know I don't like it. But I'm assuming they are, you know, costs of the energy. They're taking the mickey. Sometimes I'm like, they're taking the mickey.
Speaker 4: You just told me it was Saint Vinnie's. They are church run. They know you're taking the piss.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that does not align with God, with.
Speaker 2: Our values and spy.
Speaker 6: But yes, so google image search before you buy anything, So I do that.
Speaker 2: I take it to the next level. Should I be admitting this, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But I will take photos of sorry, but I will take screenshots of influencers content, Like if I like their side table or you know, a trinket that they have on a table and they've like, you know, posted it, because I don't actually want to reply to their story and be like where's that candle from? Just google image search it? Yes, I google image search everything.
Speaker 2: Isn't it good? Yep?
Speaker 4: Photo of what they're wearing. I want your red shirt fantastic. I'm just gonna easy snap a picture and find it for myself. I am a resourceful queen. I don't need anybody to tell me where to find stuff. I'm gonna do it myself.
Speaker 6: Good for you, Girlank you in time is money.
Speaker 2: So that's another broke tip.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly. That's been really good. All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be helping answer a money dilemma. What do you do when you have.
Speaker 2: To sell your house because of a divorce?
Speaker 4: Sticky and there, we've got something that you slid into our dms about are you being dodgy if you don't correct a shop when you know that they're undercharging you, don't go anywhere? Guys, Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, she's on the money. I'm a thirty year old single mum to three beautiful kids. I recently had to sell my family home as part of a really messy divorce. However, I've been left with quite a large lump sum of money from that sale. I've got now about one hundred and forty thousand dollars in the bank. Unfortunately, though, due to the house prices and interest rates, I've been in touch with a broker and I'm unable to borrow what I would need to repurchase the house. I'm just kind of wondering what should I do.
Speaker 8: I'm a registered nurse, I'm already working as much as I can, more really than what I should be, and I just feel like I'm in a massive money dilemma with do I just leave my money in a high interest savings account with the hopes I can buy if prices improve or interest rates improve. I just don't know, and I could really do with some advice.
Speaker 2: That's really hard. I'm sorry that you're going through this.
Speaker 5: I know that trying to figure out what to do with your finances is already hard enough without then overlaying all of the emotional trauma that comes with something this, particularly if it's a messy divorce. So I'm really sorry that you're going through that. My thought would be that you're probably in an adjustment period right now. You're used to splitting expenses, your rent, your groceries, your utilities, which may not be the case anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No one talks about how when you get a divorce everything just doubles, like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same, It's like the single tax, right like.
Speaker 2: One hundred pc. The single tax.
Speaker 5: Inherently just becomes more expensive for you. And knowing that you've got your three beautiful babies as well, I think that maybe just takes some time and adjust to what this new season of life looks like for you. You might find that there are expenses you weren't prepared for. You know, you don't really have any historical data to go off in terms of setting up your budget and stuff. So I would probably be inclined to say, for a little bit, keep it in a high entert savings account. You don't need to make that decision right now, similar to kind of like what Victoria would say, when you receive an inheritance, you don't have to move the lump some super quickly or immediately, like, let's get used to what things look like for you now and then you can make them more informed decision down the track.
Speaker 2: Beck, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: I'm saying, it's a very similar thing in my mind though, and I know it's very complicated and I'm not sure what this our listener's situation's like, but I'm really hoping that the laybor the mental and emotional labor of like you know, child rearing and child caring doesn't all by default, because I believe did that Did our listener say that she's a single parrot?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, that's you know, you both decide to have children, so it's suck said. It just kind of sounds like it's all falling on one person. But anyway, I don't know the situation, so I'm hoping that the expenses and the labor and the running around after people and taking care of everyone is equal there.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 6: It has nothing to do with what our listener is asking, and I'm very sorry.
Speaker 2: So I would just the same thing.
Speaker 6: I would keep it in a high indrant savings account until exactly you kind of figure out what the new normal is like.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: I mean, it depends on where you live and what you're actually able, what you have capacity for. But maybe just like trying to find like really affordable housing right now, which is very very hard to do. I don't know if you're renting or if you're currently living in a house that you both bought, or what the situation is like, but yeah, just trying to get on top of that, figure out what your expenses are and then going from there. And it might mean I know, a couple of weeks ago, maybe we had someone on talking about should you move to afford something nice or stay where you are around your community, and I'm kind of like more in the boat of that. But if it means you have to move out a little bit further than where you are or whatever to find something more affordable, that's also an option. But yeah, I think absolutely what Jessa is saying, high interest Aman's account, figure out what your new normal looks like and kind of go from there.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: So when I'm thinking about this, We're going to do some episodes soon on divorce because I think that so many people are going through this and it feels like the blind leading the blind sometimes, like I'm speaking to so many girlfriends who unfortunately are going through this situation. At the moment, it can get messy, and then you get these lump some payments and you feel overwhelmed and you don't know what to do. But you also know that you want future financial security, but you also want to provide for your kids, but you also just you feel stuck. Now just because you can't afford property doesn't mean you can't invest. And with one hundred and forty thousand dollars, you can afford to pay for financial advice and I absolutely would be doing this. Like at the end of the day, being a single mum is hard. You have three kids to look after and all out here just trying to do our best.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You said you're a nurse, so finance isn't the first thing that you completely understand. I'm not saying that you're not intelligent, but go get someone who can put you on absolutely the right track to not only find your feet but thrive, because with that one hundred and forty thousand dollars you could invest it like that that could work really well, like you could have a share portfolio. We could step back and be like, you know what, the property market is actual cooked.
Speaker 2: I actually don't want to have anything to do with that. You know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 4: I'm going to rent a really nice house and call it for property, but to rent a nice house, and you know what, I might even talk to the real estate agent about negotiating a long release so I feel like I have more stability, Like can I have a two, three, five year lease that is becoming.
Speaker 2: More and more popular?
Speaker 4: Then if you had invested that one hundred and forty thousand dollars, all right, so we've got that cash, we're going to put it into the share market in thirty years time at an average rate of return of nine and a half percent, which we know is the average market returns for the Australian share market over the last thirty years. If you're invested for thirty years, that one forty without any additional contributions is going to become two point three million dollars.
Speaker 2: WHOA. That is going to mean that you could retire very comfortably.
Speaker 4: In saying that you need financial advice because you've got three kids, what costs a were incurring? What amount are we keeping aside for a healthy emergency fund so that you don't feel financial pressure because as much as you might go, housing equals security, like I feel secure, Like I don't feel like I'm providing for my kids right now. I promise having a mortgage that is stressing you every single month is not going to be as valuable as you think it is than having an emergency fund that you know, if the kids come home with another permission slip for a excursion that's a couple of one hundred dollars, you could be like, yeah, norries, Like I've got that covered. Like what's going to make you feel like the best mum that you want to be? Like, what's going to give you that freedom to be the mum you want to be in this situation because more often than not, when you're going through a divorce, you didn't have three kids thinking you'd be bringing them up on your own, Like that's not most people's plan, Like most people, and like I have spoken to a lot of women who have gone through divorce, They're like, girl, I love my kids. I would not change a thing about my life, Like that's not it. But had I thought that I would be a single mum, I would have stopped at one. Like, you know, I never really comprehended the idea that this wasn't forever and you're not planning on it, Like, I don't think anybody like gets married with the intention of leaving. Like, don't get me wrong, Like, we have all the best intentions, but we need to create some really solid plans to put you in the best possible position. So for me, that would actually start with financial advice, because just feeling like you're doing the right thing is one thing, but to have someone on your team getting shit done is going to take it to the next level. You're going to feel so financially secure. We're gonna look at your super we're gonna look at your savings, we're gonna look at your lump sum.
Speaker 2: We're going to make sure.
Speaker 4: That future you is okay. But we're giving these kids the life that you want to give them. Slay, let's do that. Like, that's an investment into your future that I think you should be making. Because even if we go all right, we're going to speak to a financial advisor, and with my salary, I can't afford a mortgage. But what I'm going to do is invest the lump sum of money and then I'm going to contribute to that each and every single month. And we're investing I don't know, five hundred bucks each and every single month, that investment portfolio goes from two point three million dollars to three point four million dollars. Like, we are creating financial freedom for ourselves. You are creating legacy for your children. You are creating financial security for them and for me, that to me, now i am a mum, feels much more secure than just getting into a property like property very sexy. Yeah, I feel like, especially in Australia, we look at property and go we can see it, we can touch it, we can taste it, we can feel it.
Speaker 2: It feels secure.
Speaker 4: That doesn't necessarily mean financially that's the best decision. And sometimes we have to make decisions that are in line with our strategy, not just in line without emotions. All right, Jess, would you like to jump into the juicy DM?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: All right? So the DM we got this week or right, che's on the money? Tell me if I'm being dodgy.
Speaker 2: My husband and I were buying a fridge and a washing machine from one of the big chain stores, and when the staff wrong it up, the total came out way cheaper than we expected, which is paid and left before anybody said anything. I thought we both realized at the time. But when I brought it up, he suddenly got all serious, saying we need to go back and fix that. I was like, are you kidding?
Speaker 4: If they overcharged us, they wouldn't be chasing us down to give our money back. Big stores make mistakes all the time. They've probably got insurance for this. It's not like we scammed a family run cafe or something.
Speaker 2: He reckons it's about doing the right thing.
Speaker 4: But I kind of think it's retail karma and we should just be taking the money win. Who actually is in the wrong here.
Speaker 6: I would not even second, like think about it for one second. I would not question anything. I'm taking it and I'm running unless it's like a small business, as they're saying, small business, you know, little cafe, a family run anything like something that's smaller on the smaller scale.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that. I get it. I get where that anxiety would come from. That feeling. Yeah, yeah, but really it's like.
Speaker 6: A money win as far as I'm because then great, because I can promise you.
Speaker 2: So you need to go in and be like, sir, we're not going back. Ah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I'm saying to your husband right now, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Sleep easy, I'm not worried. Don't worry about them.
Speaker 6: Plus, the prophecies that these guys are bring in disgusting.
Speaker 4: Can I take a stab in the dark, Yes, Jessica. The guilt would eat you away, wouldn't it.
Speaker 5: I have been known to go back to a shop if I've realized that I haven't paid for something. But I like, I agree with your perspective. Like, I think big corporations very much take advantage of the little guy on the daily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I taking a power back. Yeah, like, and I'm all for that.
Speaker 5: I just know that I personally like it will keep me up at night if I feel like I've done the wrong thing, and that's something that I would feel is coming a lot of guilt over. But yeah, I see both sides. I think the you know, electronics are also a high ticket item. It's not like a fifteen dollar you know, tet or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. So I get it.
Speaker 5: There's always the chance that if you got This is very specific, but like if you've got them delivered, like if they might notice when like.
Speaker 2: The invoice or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, because the way that it works, if that's what they've done, is if you've only paid for one item, that is the only item that will be on your invoice.
Speaker 2: So then if you've bought like.
Speaker 4: A wasp and then you're not having that item delivered, will be like you don't actually have a washer and a dryer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yes I do, And they'll be like, show me your receipt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there's a chance that it might just kind of course correct itself anyway, depending on you know, what you've.
Speaker 2: Bought, so you're relying on course correction.
Speaker 5: I feel like maybe that's a happy middle for them, you know what I mean, Like if you guys can't come to an agreement, maybe you go, okay, well it's in the universe.
Speaker 4: Universe.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know how I feel about this. I think I am definitely known for letting people know that they're not charging me. The other day at the airport, I ordered two fruit salads and she was like, yep, let me go get them. Like the chargey thing will come up and then it never did, and she came back and was like, here's your fruit salads.
Speaker 2: Have a good day.
Speaker 4: And I was like, you haven't charged me, because she clearly didn't click the thing.
Speaker 2: And she was like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Other people would just walk away, and I'm like, the gilt would eat me alive. But a year ago or so, I accidentally stole a whole roast chicken from Coals Coals. I'm so sorry. I did try to pay them back though, because like I stole it.
Speaker 2: I walked out.
Speaker 4: I'd gone through self checkout, but you know when you like grab more items than you think you were going to, so you didn't grab a basket, I'd put the roast chicken. I took the slip and put it on my arm right, and so then I had all these other items and I'm checking out, and because I had my handbag and a roast chicken on my arm, I literally didn't scan it at self checkout.
Speaker 2: Left.
Speaker 4: I stole a whole chicken. Guys got home realized what I'd done. I'm not going back to the shops. It's not happening. I ate the roast chicken. Ten out of ten roast chicken. It does indeed taste better when it is free. So then the next time I was at Corals, I went up to the you know, the area where they like sell cigarettes, and I was like, oh, no, you probably have it on a camera, Like I didn't want to be blacklisted.
Speaker 2: I don't know, do they like I don't know.
Speaker 4: At my Long Call supermarket, which is like a boutique supermarket, not the one I went to, there's actually a sign up at the front door and I'll take a photo of it and put it on socials because it's funny and it's of this guy who clearly steals a lot from them, and it says band for Life, and it says photo of this guy going through a checkout.
Speaker 2: And I just have that in my mind, thinking your face outside cos he's a listed. Funny because like they've got AI and stuff at the checkout.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe they're gonna be like this woman steals chickens. Anyway, I was like, I'm going to go back up, and I said to the girl, Hey, this like really awkward thing happened, and like I explained to this whole process in the same way that I just explained it to your because I was like this is so awkward and she's like, just leave it and I was like no, but like, should I pay you for the chicken now? She's like, I don't even know how to do that, and I was like, okay enough. She's like just a win is a win kind of vibes, and I was like, okay, well I tried, but I don't think they'll do the same for a washing machine and a dryer. But I mean, I think it all comes down to, like you personally, I don't think it's the end of the world. I don't judge anyone for not what if you didn't notice.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it happens all the time where people do and they just go, oh, well, they must have been on sale.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I remember checking my statement once and I got overcharged for a coffee and I was like, rude, but I can't be bothered fixing that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true. It kind of calming financial privilege.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, I was like, oh, but like, things happen, and I do think I don't know. I feel like karma comes around and we should do the right thing where possible. If it's a big come it's very different than if you went to a mum and dad electrical company and bought a washing machine off than if you went and bought it off one of the big guys.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, if you're not even making a dent in the whole ecosystem, I agree, then whatever, But yeah, a small business, you want a media community?
Speaker 4: I do, actually right, So we said if this happened to you, would you go back and tell them? Turns out most people are bes because only eight percent of people said, yeah, I'll.
Speaker 2: Go do the right thing in this economy I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in this economy judgment, we're just talking about our personal experiences. Thirty four percent of you said, depends on the amount, and fifty eight percent of you said no, taking the money.
Speaker 2: In gorgeous love this.
Speaker 4: We then asked big retail chains deserve the same ethical treatment as small businesses. No surprises here are Sixty three percent of you said big retail is not the same as small business.
Speaker 2: Nine percent of you said, yeah, wrong is wrong?
Speaker 4: Okay, in twenty eight percent of you said, depending on the size of the mistake. Now I love that. But then we also, as always said, to the community, whilst your two cent first person said, I just assume it was a really good sale. I'm not gonna think twice. Another person said I don't.
Speaker 2: Want any excuse for karma.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go back just purely to try and avoid the bad juju fair. Someone else said I would be worried about potential claims on the warranty.
Speaker 2: Think about that point yep.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, you can google the profits those places are making and the salaries of the CEOs.
Speaker 2: You won't feel so bad after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, sounds like OP is seeking justification for theft.
Speaker 2: Wrong. It's wrong, scary, so spicy.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, my mum works for a big retailer. The markup is crazy. They actually lost nothing. Take your win and run, yes girl. Another person said people often forget that some places we see as chains actually franchises that are run by small families.
Speaker 2: That's also a really sam great call. Yeah, but I don't Yeah, maybe we google it. Someone has said ethically thinking it does feel a lot like theft big company, though it calls little people with shares impacted. I think their shares will be impacted.
Speaker 6: Nah.
Speaker 4: No, So honestly, all businesses have some level of risk built into their budgets as insurance, like if it's so big, they'll claim on insurance, or you know what, if it's that bad that sales assistant will call you and be like, hey, Jessica, I made a mistake.
Speaker 2: I need to fix it up. And you're going, oh, I didn't even realize, Like, actually that happens, and it totally that's it from me and from the community. Gorgeous. Well, I hope you guys have a lovely weekend. Yeah, after school weekend, We'll see.
Speaker 4: You Monday morning, bright and early for our money diary, so you guys. By the advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine,