Speaker 1: Here in the vast plains of Adelaide, South Australia, two young males engage in an ancient ritual known as a podcast. It's purpose to attract mates, and by mates, swimmy listeners. They're both married, so please don't slide into their dms. Their names are Ben and Leo.
Speaker 2: Alert Alert Alert a special podcast. You will notice this is not episode seventy four because that's tomorrow, nor is it episode seventy three. It is a standalone podcast. And you know, we don't like guff in the feed here, so we don't do this willy nilly.
Speaker 3: This is extremely rare, super rare, and we only reserve this for the utmost important people, the.
Speaker 2: Highest of honors. It has become somewhat of an obsession in the podcast and on the radio show, The Thought of Mingle Spice. It's a spice I've used regularly for many years. I got stick for it at the start. But now everyone's on board.
Speaker 3: Everyone's on board, and.
Speaker 2: We are delighted after many back and forth emails to announce that we are joined by the founder of Mingle Spice, Jordan Mingle.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello guys, I see you are all time minglings.
Speaker 2: We are massive ming boys. Now we've been calling you Jordan Mingle. That's not your name, is it.
Speaker 4: My first name is Jordan and my surname is Evans. I guess right, Jordan the.
Speaker 2: Spice girl, Jordan the spice girl. I mean, first question, where did the name mingle come from?
Speaker 4: I actually just got it out of the dictionary. I wish I had a better answer for that, but I just wanted something that was short, punchy, and I guess, yeah, mingle has and it's even become I guess, yeah, a verb, a noun. Customers identify themselves as minglers. So yeah, it kind of just it happens, and it kind of blows me away in.
Speaker 2: You know, my thought is when you mingle your you know, talking and associating with other people. Is that the definition in the dictionary that that's not mingle means to get amongst people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then I guess, like obviously I started with seasoning, so you know, the spices mingled together.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I see.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there's a lot of different meanings. But I do also think food is you know, universal and brings us all together.
Speaker 3: Well to mingle. It certainly has, especially in our podcast community. Lean mentioned that he was the first person to use the products. He brought it to the podcast attention. And then we have on Facebook, we have like a private Facebook group called Ben Lamb's Pod Squad. And in that community group, people just started randomly posting their purchases of Mingle spice.
Speaker 2: And it's such a you know, it's obviously the packaging is and because I and as I said, I copped stick Jordan, because everyone's like, oh, that must be a fancy spice, and like, are you being paid by them? Because I kept saying no hidden nasties, And I've really been I've been bitten by the mingle bug. Now my wife got onto it, and I mean we, I mean we mix it up at dinner, I suppose, but very much midweek bog standard do the meal prep.
Speaker 3: On the weekend.
Speaker 2: It's just like chicken and like broccoli and beans or whatever. And but like the spice is what changes. So it's just chicken breasts and you know, I'm partial to the butt chicken, the tark. I've mixed it up a little, you know once, I quite recently. You've obviously got the blue one, which is like the.
Speaker 3: Sort of Greek one.
Speaker 2: I think it's more for the land. Yeah, but I did that on the chicken just to be a little crazy and delightful. May I add so good?
Speaker 4: I feel like, to be honest, it still blows me away like this. This business started in my kitchen eleven years ago and it has grown really from the power of you know, people like you Liam, like you know, naturally endorsing it. And it's kind of just like it's grown bigger than I ever anticipated. So thank you. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: One thing I do love as well, Jordan. One thing. The thing that got me was we got center Mingle care package and on the inside of the care package was kind of the story of how Mingle came to be. And I honestly do love that you identified there was a hole in the market where you wanted to do a spice brand that, let's be frank, it wasn't filled with crap. You wanted to do something that wasn't filled with a bunch of fillers and just all around bad ingredients. Can you for the people that missed us reading word for word the bye or the inside of the box, can you just tell us how the brand came to be?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, So I was meal prepping. On a Sunday afternoon, went to my pantry, and I don't know that particular day, I decided to clean out my pantry and I was twenty five at the time, and I think I never really thought about what was truly in I guess my pantry staples, so you know, my tomato sauce, my barbecue sauce, my spice blends. And when I turned the bottles around, I started to see, you know, I'm not sure if you know, but the order of ingredients on the back of the label are in order of prevalence, So the first ingredient is the most prevalent ingredient, and I started to see sugar a lot as the first ingredient. And I also started to see a range of different yeah additives, preservatives, different flowers, and high sodium as well. So it kind of a light bulb went off and I was like, hang on a second, are all of these ingredients necessary? So I went down to the supermarket to try and find, I guess, a cleaner ingredient list, and I couldn't find one. And a lot of these math market brands has been around for you know, fifty plus years, and no one has really challenged or set a new benchmark. And at the age of twenty five, I was like, you know what I'm gonna I'm going to be that one. So quit my job. I moved back home, which was very humbling. Yeah, I bet yeah, and just sold my car and invested forty five thousand dollars into starting mingle. Woah, my life savings.
Speaker 2: I love these stories though, and like too often, like you're obviously quite a young person, but you hear these things. It's like, yeah, in the eighties, I did this and I did that. But I kind of love how you're like young Australian woman who who you know? You put your money where your mouth wasn't like you actually saw the whole yourself to punt on yourself. Yeah, which is which is awesome to see. He said, you quit your job? What were you doing for work? So?
Speaker 4: I previously was working for a natural drinks company called Kafie Sparkling. I'm not sure if you guys have had had one of those drinks. It was. It was kind of a they were trying to pave the way in drinks with I guess like up against you know, sweats coke and offering a better for you offering. So yeah, I guess I could see what was happening in supermarkets and I could see consumers we're also looking for better for you are Well.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that because it does kind of feel like your boat stock at the right time, because probably eleven years ago people like yeah whatever, And now, more than ever, I think the masses are probably a little bit more aware of you know that just because it's a big brand that you know and trust from a shop exenter that you know and trust is like might not necessarily have your best interest at heart. So it's sort of like, yeah, it feels like you got in at the right time. So what so I mean, obviously this starts, you know, forty five grand, like I'm imagining you're just you're mixing up the spices, packaging the boxes yourself. How does it get through? Like the stage it is now where we can walk into the shops and it's like bang, there it is.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would love to say that it happened overnight, but really this has been eleven years of grinding, you know. Now it's you know, I have thirty products in Coals and Wulworth, But I really I started with pitching to coals and Woolies. I got no many of times, and I had to go back and continue to pitch. And then I started with five coal stores and five wooly stores that I had to drive around on weekends in my van and delivered directly to those stores. Yeah, and really just championed the brand myself initially, and then yeah, people kind of started to see, I guess, a new player in the in that aisle. And slowly but surely, from five stores, then I went to ten stores, and then yeah, kind of proved that Ningle could disrupt these big brands. And I certainly do not have you know, the marketing dollars or you know, these are billion dollar brands. I had to get creative with some social media and yeah, I just had to also, you know, rely on people. Also, the power of word of mouth has been so powerful with Mingle, and slowly but surely, over you know, multiple years, with a lot of hard work and sacrifice, like, eventually it's gotten to this place where, yeah, where we're now stacking up against those big breads.
Speaker 3: Case in point, you've naw got our whole podcast doing an exclusive episode about it.
Speaker 2: For like, genuinely can we just say as well, no money has changed hand. No, we fans of spice, and also it's been cool from you guys to obviously send out some product. We had a little little party of podcast party. We chucked out a bunch of mingle.
Speaker 3: There was handfuls of spice being thrown around.
Speaker 2: This is true. But now there is a discout code that you've given us fifteen percent off for podcast listeners Codeina Baio, I don't know if you know the code, Jordan, I don't know if you've made privy to that. It's ming me Boys twenty six, So yeah, I know. Obviously the mingle branding isn't in there. We just thought people don't have a lot of time if they had to do it on their phone quick.
Speaker 3: Like our brand meets your brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know if that's possible. I would love to see how much Spice gets moved in the back end. I don't know if that's possible. If we can, you know, in like a in like a month, we're like, hey, the podcast we've moved, We've we've all moved this much spice. Yeah, so we can see our KPI is essentially yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: No thanks guys like I'm still on the social so I started to see the comments even on our social media posts are being like Ben and Liam mentioned you guys, and and then like I had to ask my team like you Ben and Liam and then you know, obviously connected the dots and yeah, you guys are bloody hilarious, amazing legends. And yes, thank you again for endorsing the product organically.
Speaker 3: It is honestly our pleasure. Jordan. You don't have to reveal any any company secrets here, but I was wondering on the R and D front, have you got anything coming to the Mingle range?
Speaker 4: We do have quite a lot. We launched about forty products in a year. Have you have you guys tried our new avocado oil?
Speaker 2: Mayo tried that Bell was asking about a quack spice, so that I mean that's producer Bell's vegan, so that that could be could be the move. I know she's she's a fan of avocados, but that that's that seems like the one to try.
Speaker 4: They yeah, they're they're bloody awesome. And then have you tried out Japanese barbecue sauce that has yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah, I've had that that's a ripper. That's like the is it like the or no mabe, I've had the Japanese dressing. It's like a user sort of dressing. Or that's different.
Speaker 4: That's a different one.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Ye, my team had a good reference for this Japanese barbecue. It's like barbecue sauce had a baby with Keriarchy sauce.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, speaking my.
Speaker 4: Language, that's like dark blue sauce package.
Speaker 2: Out of interest do you? I mean like when you talk about nasties, it's the thing that tastes so sick. But it's like, I'm pretty sure it's like the worst possible sauce ever. QP Mayo it's just full of like so much crap. But is there is there a mingle alternative to the QP? Could you could you somehow create the same taste without all the junk?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we actually that's what we just dropped with the mayo range. We do have, Yeah, the Japanese style mayo, which it does taste like that other brand that you just mentioned. They're not in Colson and Wooley's at the moment, but you can grab them online.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had any spices where you were like, it's you know, it's just gone dud. Like you're like, it's bub you foot, you went a little too experimental and its just no one border or it just tasted not quite right. Have you ever released something that you're like, oh, we just probably shouldn't have put that one out.
Speaker 4: Not yet, but I would say right now, I am revealing a bit of a secret. We're struggling with Apricott chicken. Apricot chicken is a very nostalgic meal, and you know, we're actually just about to launch like cut some curried sausages, chicken alfredo, some like really old school classic Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know there's probably different markets that you need to appeal to, and maybe there's a certain older end of the audience. But sometimes my wife and I joke about this, But for me, I like chicken. I like no, I like chicken, and I like apricot, but it's kind of scarring when they're put together because it feels like mum's angry meal. Maybe so I'm like, like, I love all your spices. I wouldn't be reaching for the Apricot chicken.
Speaker 1: That's just me.
Speaker 2: But maybe maybe maybe some people are like I long for my mum's Apricott chicken from from the nineties or whatever.
Speaker 4: Well, I almost feel like I have a responsibility to bring back some meals, Like so many of our customers are like, oh, I have PTSD from Apricot chicken or curried sausages or this or that, and I'm like, I feel like we could do it around, it could make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I guess the sweetness of Apricot chicken. Yeah, we're just kind of struggling a little bit with that formulation. So that's probably the one that we're up against. And I guess because we're doing better for you products, I think always the challenge is making sure that it still tastes delicious, because people are not going to one enjoy it, but to come back if it's not delicious. And I think that's what we're trying to redefine, that healthy products can taste bloody good as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. One last question from me Jordans. So in radio, they do like they do like listening groups where they like focus groups, people like sit down, they listen to audio that we've done and they all give their feedback. With spice development, Let's say you're working on a new one. Let's say AP's got chicken? Do you develop it and then someone cooks the meal and then people sit down try and give back feedback.
Speaker 4: Yes, yep, we do. Like back in the day, to be honest, it was just my palette. But yes, we now do ratings and then we also test it online before we put those products into supermarkets, so we know that like each product is a banger or yeah, like what you said, you know, we get some reviews and then have to refine, you.
Speaker 2: Know how there's like some maliairs and stuff for wine. Obviously you know you've dedicated the last eleven years of your life to spice. Do you know your rains well enough to be able to dip your tongue into a sash? They have spice and tell us what it is.
Speaker 4: My team have actually done that, and I'm I'm pretty good.
Speaker 1: I kind of want to.
Speaker 3: We might have to test that perhaps if you where are you based, Jordan?
Speaker 4: We're based in Melbourne, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we we we're just this time last year we moved Adelaide, so we couldn't you know, but hey, if we're ever in Melbourne again, we would have to We'll have to line up a few bags of Mingle, and you'll have to come around and do it with fizz style and see if you can pick. Perhaps if you get all ten right, we unlock some sort of super code listeners.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just playing though.
Speaker 4: Eating raw spices is not.
Speaker 3: A vie no, yes, to be honest, it could be more of like a smelly style where you do smell it, perhaps you taste it, but then you get the spittoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know well either way.
Speaker 2: Jordan Young, entrepreneur the founder of Mingle, the show's preferred spice, and I would like to say once again, no contracts on money has changed hand. I would like to say, an official partner of the podcast.
Speaker 3: It feels nice to say.
Speaker 2: It feels nice. It feels nice if you're okay with us saying that we've been We've been doing this for a few years. We haven't had any major controversies or anything, so now I trust your spice brand is safe.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I really appreciate the support once again, And yeah, I hope everyone enjoys the discount code. And if you do, yeah, I guess whip up a meal with Mingle also, feel free to tag us on Instagram because yeah, we're always wanting to see people's creation.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. Thanks again, Thank you, Jordan, really appreciate all your time. We'll send you back to the Spice Lab so you can crack that Apricot Chicken code and I'm sure we'll speak to you again someday.
Speaker 4: Awesome. Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Autu, and thank you for that that code again. Mingy Boys twenty six on the Mingle website. If you want fifteen percent off your spice.
Speaker 3: Hole, if you want to make sure you are getting it correct, just jump onto the Instagram bio and you can copy and paste it. Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's not every day you get to speak to a young entrepreneur. That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: But it sounded like she was in the lab.
Speaker 2: I thought I could hear stuff in the background where it sounded like there was like people in coats and stuff like mixing together big vats of spice. Yeah, yeah, wow, it would be cool. It would be cool to start your own thing. I've always didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I think I makes.
Speaker 2: You wonder about, like, yeah, I'd love to start my own thing one day. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I don't know I was saying that she was working with the healthy drinks, and then she identified that spices weren't healthy. I wonder what else there is in a supermarket it's not healthy? The wee coed'd be like, I want to do healthy Jesus or something, you know. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, yeah, as she was saying eleven years ago, it was just a new sort of like what about this, Yeah, food that's not full of crap? But now it's like, yeah, what's the different. It's almost like you've got to put more crap in it again?
Speaker 3: What if we do like a healthy cereal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fun. That has to have a call like the coco pop. I wouldn't want to eat that, see cocoa pops monkey, Yeah, we'd have no all we have to get we we we somewhat no cold charmers.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 3: We can get him to be the face of it.
Speaker 2: Had a good chat with him only only just recent.
Speaker 3: Perfect swimming through the milk. Yeah, but this one isn't full of crap.
Speaker 2: It's cocko pops.
Speaker 3: And then we could call on our our brand tires ambassador. Well no he's yeah, so we call Jordan. We say hey, we've got this new cereal a partner heart.
Speaker 2: And use your infrastructure under our new company to align for a better future for all Australians from breakfast through to your spice range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that we would just use Ningle seasoning to flavor our cereals, so you get like quack bombs and it's like milk cheerio style little bits of puffer ice rolled in quark seasoning.
Speaker 2: That would be cool something like that. It'd be cool. I once again, Jordan's not age like it very much feels like this is a call to an Australian startup. They've done well, they don't have squillions of dollars, but it would be cool to somehow invent our own spice.
Speaker 3: Want a rival Mingle No no.
Speaker 2: I meant if there was a spice that all the podcast listeners could agree on, it needs to be created. Mingle could create it. It doesn't even have to have our names on it, but like just knowing, you know, potentially you could go through a Coals or a Wallly and you could imagine that flavor was invented by Imagine if it was a Mingle Cross like Mingle Times or with Ben and Liam Mingle in partnership with Ben and Liam present.
Speaker 3: Rogan Josh.
Speaker 2: I think they've got it, but yeah, they do. I believe so, but yeah, just on the website. Also feels like a missed op if they haven't reached out to Lara Bingal to change her name to Lara Mingle for a.
Speaker 3: Week, No Rogan Josh on the website, Well.
Speaker 2: There you go, I did. I just had a quick look. I was sort of looking up Jordan as we were talking there, just to sort of Sometimes it's like who are we talking to here? And interesting who they have reached out to. I've got a media week here. This is from last year. Mingle Seasoning launches national campaign with only fans creator girth Master.
Speaker 3: That's not you, it's Real Mingled partnered up with girth Master. Girth Master that's him.
Speaker 2: And that's a photo of hum and Jordan Mingle.
Speaker 3: There and this is Oh we should have brought that up. Yeah, is it too late to get a back?
Speaker 2: That doesn't matter. It doesn't matter next time, next time we have the spice Founder on everyone. Evans added that while some grocery bands might consider this type of collaboration risky, Mingles approaches about staying authentic and culturally attuned.
Speaker 3: For a younger audience.
Speaker 2: Girth Master has built a following by being unapologetically himself obviously quite girthy, and that realness is exactly what cuts through in today's content saturated world.
Speaker 3: What if they could do perhaps like a Peach Cobbler seasoning, it would be a variety of stars you get for Peach Cobbler. And this is in anyone who got an adult film star name and they go under the alias of Peach Gobbler, the name's Garbler, Pitch Garbler.
Speaker 2: Well also huge for us really because if you look at it, Mingle have partnered with girth Master and Ben and Lam. Yeah, so that says something. I don't know what that says, but it's just whatever it says is you can read into it. But there's probably something in that.
Speaker 3: Also, I told a feller I was going to get some sheets of marble and Marketplace eleven twenty.
Speaker 2: Is that why you said you had to leave? You said you had a meeting or something, So.
Speaker 3: I wanted to leave at a certain time so I could get home so see him can go to the twelve to fifteen gym session.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But I thought, if I leave with just enough time, it's on the way home, I could stop by get this off cut of marble. What are you going to be doing with the marble?
Speaker 3: Ma, I want to stockpile offcuts of marble so one day when we build our own house, I can just use off cuts of marble around the house. Four. Just like window seals and stuff. The marble is super expensive. Yeah, get off cuts. People basically give it away.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, if I start.
Speaker 2: The marble didn't match, but the pattern of marble didn't necessarily match the other you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Be mismatched, so like some seals will be different, the off cuts will be like is that it will be bespoken unique, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would stress me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a lot of people like it's like Katsy, It's like cool, like different, and I'm all for the marble.
Speaker 2: I just like everything has to be the same otherwise, I'm.
Speaker 3: No, I don't mind. I don't mind off cuts.
Speaker 2: Just like for me, I'm like, I'm sure to be great and most pieces of story and just I will be stressed at your house.
Speaker 4: Marble doesn't match.
Speaker 3: That's why you gotta pay. That's why you gotta pay a premium for your marble.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: Right, anyway, this is fully gone off of Mingle now.
Speaker 2: It has Oh yeah, I forgot this. Yeah where do we get? Yeah yeah, it was like Marble girth Master but all that we were talking. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the extra podcast with Jordan Mingle.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, and that's it.