Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast last Pekoline. Welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV reloads the shows that we are all currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today. On the podcast, I have an Australian actor, ed Oxenbold, who is here to discuss his latest Netflix series, The Irreverant, which drops this Sunday in Australia. The Irreverant tells the story of a criminal from Chicago who is forced to hide here in Australia in a small reef town posing as the new church reverend. This is a comedy drama which packs a massive punch with an outstanding cast which includes one of my favorite Australian actors, Ed Oxenbold, who shot to fame in the TV series Puberty Blues. He has then gone on to star in a string of American movie playing alongside the likes of Maggie and Jake Gillenhal. He has worked with Paul Dano and m Knight Shamaline, which is just some of his achievements which we will get a chance to unpack a little of today. I will ask ed about puberty blues rumors and where they came from, what kind of preparation does a kid do before acting in a horror movie with m Night Shamaline, plus some great insights into his latest project, Irreverent. However, let's get started with today's episode. I'd like to welcome ed Oxenbolt to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: So I started this room, I'm hoping that it would maybe work. Start looking for God to give you something and go take it. As soon as I've done out that I had the role mean Mum Watch and sixth Sense, and it did scare me.
Speaker 1: That ability to forgive is what makes this whole thing work.
Speaker 2: Paul Dana I really, I really idolize his career.
Speaker 1: He should be careful.
Speaker 2: People might actually start.
Speaker 1: To like you.
Speaker 2: It was just very different to anything I'd played before.
Speaker 3: You don't have a family who's there to stop you from sinking.
Speaker 2: It's showing Americans how interesting unique side of Australia.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ed, how are you going? Thanks for joining the podcast.
Speaker 2: No Worries, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Well, this is so exciting to have this chat with you because I'm actually a really big fan of your work.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: It sounds really strange to say that to you, because you know, you were so young when we first all you became like a household name here in Australia with Puberty Blues, but that role was just so amazing. Anyway, it's strange to be a big fan of a child.
Speaker 2: It is. It's a very interesting thing. I'm kind of still coming to terms with the fact that I'm not a child, despite the fact that I still get cast as children and I still look like a child. It's weird to think that I actually I am an adult and there's no dirting back. It's an interesting kind of thing, making that transition from child actor to just actor. But there's nothing kind of special about you then.
Speaker 1: You know, it was interesting with Puberty Blues because you know, I kept thinking, how does a kid pull off a performance like this? Like it was you sort of acted people off the screen, and you were acting up against some Australian royalty.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, how did you manage to pull that performance off.
Speaker 1: It's a question that I've always wanted to ask you, and of course we're going to get into the Reverend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I think so much of that show was just the writing. The writing was so brilliant. There was not a bad line in the show, and especially they had so much fun with my character. They made my characters say the dirtiest things and pulled the crudest pranks, and really I just had to follow the brilliant words that they wrote, and then it was kind of you know that did all the work. I really lucked out with that role. I absolutely love that and I'll forever be sad that we didn't do a season three, and I'm still secretly gunning for a kind of soft reboot where I can kind of be the age of Debbie and Sewer in the first one.
Speaker 1: What did you think about where there was all of those diehard fans that just started leaking stuff saying that there was a season three. There was even photos like set photos up saying that it was secretly being filmed. Were you aware of all of that conversation that was happening online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I started that. I started that. I was really bored one day and I posted a TikTok saying that it's coming back, and I didn't think that many people watch it, and then it ended up getting like one point four million views, and still to this day on my TikTok, I get constant comments about it. And off the back of that TikTok, Daily Mail wrote an article, Pedestrian TV wrote an article, and all this stuff came out. So I started this, remember hoping that it would maybe work.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, you did not. But you know what's so funny is that the music, you know, the score of that show is just etched into people's minds, and so it was so well put together because we got to see the hope of it, but you also got that music, which was what did you think of that score?
Speaker 2: I think it was it was so amazing. It was such a good mix of kind of nostalgia for the parents watching the show and then kind of great old songs for the new generation to discover. I mean, the main one, are You Old Enough? Is such a statement of the show and just perfectly stums it up, and that's what I used in the TikTok out of the rumor. But so yeah, that's really I really was hoping that that rumor would cause enough attention that some studio might go, hey, let's pick it up and make a third which was wishful thinking and a bit cheeky, but.
Speaker 1: I still thick there's a lot of people out there that would love to see it. But I have to ask, you know, did that show open up a lot of doors for you overseas? I mean, anyone that could see that performance of yours would be like, You've got to put this guy in a movie.
Speaker 3: This guy is so talented.
Speaker 2: It did? It really did launch a lot of things because I got I started with a short film, and then I got Puberty Blues, and then after that things just kind of started snowballing. It opened up a really wonderful world and just lots of eyes and it was good. It was such a great foot in the door. It's such a cool show to be a part of. And that's what I'm really noticing is each year goes on and the older again, I kind of realized how lucky was to be a part of a really important kind of cultural show and then you.
Speaker 1: Go on to work with Jake Gillenhale, Paul Dano, the m Nut Shameline world. Like, it's a huge global scale to then have put upon you, and you've grown up a lot in front of the world over the years, and you know that's a lot for a young person. Are the things in place to make sure that you don't fly completely off the handle?
Speaker 2: Well, my parents really, you know, my parents kind of knew. I don't know, they just had such a lid on things and they made sure that I didn't turn to anything nasty. But there's still time Mom and Dad. But I think the main thing it was just that was just family because they're really Unfortunately in that world, there aren't a lot of things in place to stop people from flying off the handle, and that's what happened so often. It's just a pretty messy, bizarre world at times. But I was very lucky and very fortunate, and I think a big part of it was that I always had Australia to come back to, is that I wasn't living in the States and working over there. It kind of was a bit of a holiday and then I could come back and have a kind of regular life where it wasn't just money and show and a bit of all the crazy stuff that goes on in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 1: Well, you weren't really a fish out of water in that sense because your parents kind of understand the industry of course, yeah, you know, in their own right, So I guess they weren't unfamiliar to it. You hear those stories of you know, Lindsay Lohan or you know a few others that were young child actors and the parents were overwhelmed by the glitz and the glamor and read all that wrong where I think if you've got Showbi's parents, they that sounds like a terrible way of describing your parents, by the way Showbiz's parents they would.
Speaker 2: Hate they wouldn't they. Yeah, you're right, they do. They knew it to expect. They've been dealing, you know, they've they've known actors their whole life, and they've seen the kind of dark side of actors and the good side. And I think they just kind of really subtly pushed me in the right direction. And they were like my two mentors, And anytime I had any kind of question, I always had these the two best acting coaches to turn too. Well.
Speaker 1: They're mentors for other actors as well, so you know that's pretty good. You've got them on speed dial. Yeah, you've been in some pretty big projects on a global scale. Is there anything massively different about acting in Australia versus, you know, acting in America.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally. I mean America. You know, they just go everything's bigger, and it's the classic thing about the portions are bigger and that everything's bigger, and that is true. There's always more crew, there's always more more funding putting into it, which just enhances everything. It kind of gives it this kind of surreal, hollywoody feel, Whereas in Australia, and I'm noticing here and New Zealand, the budgets tend to be a lot smaller. It means that people have to be a lot smarter and more resourceful. And I think the crews here seem to have teem to have each other's backs a little bit more. I'm really lucky to have worked in both, but I think as I get older, I really really love working in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hear big Australian actors, like even Nicole Kidman talks about it publicly about you know, yes, it's amazing to work on a big project with a big budget, but how much she enjoys the intimacy of working back here in Australia and she does come back and do it. I just always wondered from your perspective, is it easier do you think to play those roles on a big, bigger scale, or do you find that you're much better doing it when it's I don't know, on an Aussie budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just so much of the Aussie budget I think it is it is, I don't know. It just it feels a lot more comfortable, and when you're comfortable, you can get a better performance. So I feel like it it is kind of easier here. There's just less going on and it's more about It feels more about the craft here, which which is you know, kind of what every actor likes, and I don't know, just it feels a lot more personal working in the Australian industry and kind of trying to push it and beef it up so it can kind of compete with the other kind of markets, with the international markets.
Speaker 1: I remember going to the movies to see you in the visit, which was the m Night Chamlin film, and I remember thinking, were you allowed to watch all of his other films? Because his other films up unto that point, I mean, as this film is as well is quite scary, but were you allowed to go and watch The Sixth Sense and see Haley Joel Osmond, you know, do that performance? Like, did you watch any of that before you made the visit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, we did. When I'm as soon as I've found out that I had the role, me and Mum watched The Sixth Sense and it did scare me because it's really creepy. It's so terrifying, but it was a really good kind of indication of what the kind of tone of the visit will be or what. And we also watched Unbreakable, which I love. I think that is his best movie. I think that is so fantastic. And we watched The Village as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Everyone's always ordering the best films of m Night Chamelant and Unbreakable. Yeah, it's easily my favorite, and it's so intoxicetting.
Speaker 2: It's such an amazing superhero film. It's such a reinvention of the genre and it's so interesting and the performances are like out of this world and the imagery I think it's so incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got my nerd questions out of the way, the questions that you know, if you ever get the chance to speak to this person.
Speaker 3: So we need to talk about the Irreverend.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so beautifully made, with so many accomplished actors. Is that amazing to be back here in Australia to work alongside some of these people that you've probably grown up watch on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so fantastic. To be a part of this ensemble cast is just amazing. And it was. It was just so incredible, and everyone was so lovely and so supportive, and we became a real family up in Mission Beach where we filmed it, And yeah, just to be alongside them and just to be a part of this incredible, really unique, cool show. It was such a dream job. I really I would love to do eight seasons of it.
Speaker 1: It's so don't you think it's amazing that we're now getting to see kind of a little bit left of the center storylines you know that you wouldn't have seen on say, Free to Wear back in the day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it is so interesting and with free to wear, it's good that there isn't that the wait each week and the kind of all at once bingeable digestive thing. Really it really works. You can kind of change the whole format. You don't have to have these little cliffhangers, and I don't know, it changes the way that TV works, and I think it's a really cool step. But you're right. I think this is really really you know, good for a stream, Yeah, and for it to be on such a global stage in the States on Peacock. I think it's showing Americans a really interesting, unique side of Australia. It's also got the great American lead for Australians. I think it works really well for both countries. And I think it's I think it's just got a really unique tone and look, and the costumes are great in the show, and everyone's just a bit quirky. It really captures that interesting idea of small town. I think there's so much going on that makes it really interesting for kind of anyone to watch, regardless of where they're from.
Speaker 1: I also think what's phenomenal is that it looks just as good as any other show that's being made around the world. It looks like a big little lies or you know, it looks like a HBO series in a way, you know, it looks just as good as anything else, so you can sit up against anything, you know, and the way in which people are tapping into streaming services. Now, if you're just looking at that little picture or you're watching the trailer, you know, we in Australia are making shows that are just as good as anywhere else in the world, which brings in a global audience exactly.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that was one of the main things unfortunately the Australian industry that a lot of stuff gets made and you look at it and go, oh, that looks kind of Australian and it's almost a derogatory kind of thing, but it's kind of got this feel to it. You I don't know, but when we all watched the trailer, we all went, that's a show. That's a that's a show that is worthy of heavy you know, you look at it and it's it's colorful and rich, and you know there was no expenses spared on the filming because it just looks so decadent and so good.
Speaker 1: Well, it's movie quality, isn't it. I mean it looks like you should be watching this on the in the cinema, so and that's kind of how they are making TV and lots of ways now, so I guess you can keep up with the Joneses.
Speaker 3: How would you describe this series to people?
Speaker 1: Because a lot of people listening to this podcast right now won't know the show, might not be familiar with it's what's the best way for you to describe what this show is about.
Speaker 2: I think, as I said before, ultimately this show is it's a fish out of water story. It's about someone you know who you know kind of messes up and has to deal with the consequences and it's not very good at dealing with his consequences, but then finds himself in this beautiful town, and I don't know, it's interesting. It's an interesting story about kind of acceptance and deceit and the kind of big city mentality for a small town. I think there's just got It's got lots of themes, and it's got lots of beautiful characters, all with their own little kind of subplots. There's a little bit of a love story, there's crime, there's there's humor and real heart to it. But it's just it's really unique. I cannot remember the last show that I've watched quite like this, with the contrast and look and feel and music, and it's just got a really unique tone that I think will really resonate and it's very bingeable. I just think it's got so much going for it. It's such an interesting show about so many different things.
Speaker 1: Well, I kind of liked about the show was bringing someone new into community helps people look at things a little bit differently, and I think we all need a bit of a factory reset every now and again in our own lives, and that's what I really enjoyed about it.
Speaker 3: What attracted you to the character of Cameron.
Speaker 2: I just absolutely loved it. From the minute that I read the audition scenes. I just thought he was so brilliantly naive and silly and really sweet, and it was it was just very different to anything I'd played before, and it was nice. It was nice that it wasn't a character defined by age or kind of backstory. It was he wasn't just the kid. It was this just strange kind of entity that he's just there and he's kind of you know, he's just interesting. He's very sweet, but he's very misguided and he does very lovely things that get him in trouble lots of the time. But I just thought it was I thought it was a really interesting character. I thought it would be a real, a real, nice, healthy challenge, and I thought I could bring enough of myself into it. And I just loved that. I had so much fun it was. There are very few jobs where you get to set and just really love being in this character, and there was lots of kind of revising between the cast. Was just it was great. I just knew it would be good as soon as I read the audition.
Speaker 1: I also thought it was interesting because you know, like as a kid, you're always played as this sort of adult in a child's body in a way, you know what I mean, And then now you're getting to play a bit of it, more of a naive character, which is for the first time something that we're seeing differently. Do you think that we're going to see more of that? Is that something that's changed as you've become an adult.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I do. I do like that direction, so I hope I'm stepping into it. I just did earlier this year, I did a film that's coming out on Stan as well, that's coming out tomorrow and Stan actually where I played again quite a silly character, quite not that far off Cameron, quite a naive, lovely good intentions, but just poor execution of things. So maybe I am subconsciously kind of moving towards that. I find myself now gravitating towards more comedic things, which I do really enjoy and just yeah, it's like every actor's frame. It's just fun. It's fun just to get to set and try and make people laugh. And if you don't, you don't. If you do, you do. But I really like it. I'm very interested to see where kind of what roles are coming up or in the future. But if they're similar to Camera, I'll be very happy.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Making the transition from child actor to an adult actor can be quite difficult, but for you it seems to be happening quite seamlessly. Have you got people that you're looking up to us there people in Australia that you look up to with your career or the trajectory of your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you mentioned it before. I think Paul Dana I really I really idolize his career. I think he's not only an incredible actor, but an amazing director and just all round genius. I think, and if I can even try and follow in his footsteps and try and do some of the things that he did, including write and direct, eventually I'd be so happy.
Speaker 1: It must have been surreal to then go to the movies and watch The Batman with him in that.
Speaker 2: I know it was bizarre to sive friendly old All an absolute menace.
Speaker 1: I love those stories of you doing your lines with him, you know, as the director, and I just thought, that's what a money car buy experience.
Speaker 3: It must just be so surreal.
Speaker 2: But that was I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: What could go wrong when you're up against him? So you were just saying that you're in New Zealand at the moment, you're working on a project. You've been there for four weeks. What's the project you're working on at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's got The project is called Head South. It's a period piece, so it's set in nineteen seventy nine, and it's kind of semi autobiographical of the director Jonathan Ogilvie and grew up here and kind of started playing in punk rock bands, and it's about the early post punk music scene in christ Church, and it's great. It's really cool. It's got a beautiful tone, it's really funny. It's a bit it's got a bit of sing streety kind of vibes, but it's great. We've been filming in these amazing locations and lots of cool spiky hair and mullets, and we're shooting a big gig today actually, so it's gonna be it's gonna be a huge, huge day.
Speaker 1: I just love the fact that you called it a period piece and it said in did you say nineteen seventy nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that sounds ridiculous. Maybe I'm butchering that term. Maybe it's we're not there yet.
Speaker 1: But you know, everyone who joins the podcast asked this question, and that is, what's something from behind the scenes, something that we won't see, but kind of like a behind the scenes secret of you making the irreverent?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I always I find it so interesting. So anytime that we shot inside the church or the Man's that was all a set. And anytime we shot outside the church or Mance, that was just and I like the shell of a building. So anytime we walk in, we just walk into nothing and then carry on on studio, which I find so funny. But the big I don't know. I don't know if it's noticeable because actually I haven't seen the show yet, but I was in the man's in the background of through the kitchen, there was just they just printed out a big picture, this humongous picture of Miss Beach, and I just thought that was hilarious that they just printed out this big pitch to the background. It was a green screen any thing, It was just a picture. I thought it was really funny.
Speaker 3: Well that's what they used to do back in the day, like you know.
Speaker 2: Like King Kong. So I thought it was really funny.
Speaker 1: It doesn't look that bad. It doesn't look bad in the final production. Everything looks very schmick.
Speaker 2: I knew it would, but you know, but on the day you go that going to work, this humongous picture. It was good quality, so I guess it won't.
Speaker 1: I think that was the other thing about the show as well, as we didn't mention, is I thought it was really interesting because religion means different things to different people these days, and I thought it was really interesting tapping into some of those storylines because it highlighted the fact to me that I still see religion to be quite important for a lot of people because it brings community together and it makes people feeling included.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a real backbone, and.
Speaker 2: It's good because it is about religion, but it's more just about people and how and you're right, and how community can change and how and how leaders can change community. It's got all these interesting things. But it is a really interesting topic when you take you know, Mac, this character of Mac who's just the most relentless kind of agnostic, atheist, anti religion, and then he put him in this position and then see how he has to deal with it, and it's great. It starts to soften him. And there's so many interesting things going on. And you know, Colin Donald, who plays Mac, is just such a brilliant lead.
Speaker 1: So yeah, mate, thank you so much for coming on the podcast and chatting about the show. Hopefully everyone gets a chance to what shoul it'll be out next week.
Speaker 2: Thank you, well pleased to hopefully many more we'll see.
Speaker 1: Puberty Blue season three. I'm just going to go and start that rumor all over again.
Speaker 2: I really think, you know, the power of the people is a powerful thing and I think if enough people, you know, kind of voice their interest, surely, surely we can get it off the ground.
Speaker 3: Who knows, you never know. They reboot everything these days.
Speaker 2: They do, they do reboot everything, and sometimes it doesn't work. But I reckon we can do a classy reboot. But everyone, you're right. Everyone did go oh there was more and it didn't feel like it ended on a solid end. And everyone loved it absolutely everyone. You know, we had almost the entire same crew from season one and season two because everyone just went, I need to come back. Yeah, and I think it'd be the same. I think everyone would drop whatever they're doing and to come back in a half feat. I'm certain of that. Well.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It's my go to.
Speaker 1: You know how people put on friends like you hear people yeah got those old shows.
Speaker 3: That's their comfort show in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Puberty Blues is my comfort show. So I don't know what that says about me.
Speaker 2: That says you need a season three.
Speaker 1: I need a season three anyway. Good luck with the shoot today. It was fantastic for you to give me this time and to be so generous.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wait, thank you very much for having me