Speaker 1: Do you find exercise too hard?
Speaker 2: Perhaps you struggle to find the time or the motivation to move regularly well. In today's episode, we share a hot off the press new study which shows you the perfect amount of time to exercise to reduce your health risks, and the best bit is probably far less time than you think, as well as how long you should be moving forward. We also chat through a client case study where we simply change up her exercise program and this has helped finally achieve her weight loss goals. And our listener question is all about exercising after dinner and whether you should or not. And we always want to be transparent with you guys, so we wanted to know that today's episode is brought to you by our wonderful friends at Garmen, who are helping you get off the couch this Christmas with the help of their new venue.
Speaker 1: Three Sports Watch.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Susie Burrow and Emily and Wood and each week we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the bi weekly podcast talking about everything that is new in the world of nutrition and exercise and Leanne. We're very excited because I think it's such an amazing time of year to be talking about moving because obviously it's a nutrition couch podcast, it is all about food diets weight loss, but let's be honest, that's only one half of the energy balance equation, and the movement is just as important. And this is something I certainly am talking about with my clients all the time. At the moment that the days are longer, you know, the schedules become more flexible as the kids finish school.
Speaker 1: And really we should actually be moving more.
Speaker 2: And I know myself over the holidays, I cannot wait to get away for a good week to a quiet plot of New South Wales on the beach, where I know I will be able to move more than I have for the past three to six months. It's actually my favorite time of year. I know that I'm going to feel leaner, fitter. But I think many of us don't necessarily think of the holidays like that. We think of it more as a time to do less and eat more. And now, when do we start a new year feeling really, you know, way down and heavy. So I thought it was just such an opportune time to be talking about this, going into the holiday period where it's both Christmas and a few days off, and of course, the glorious weather at this time of year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think movement at this time of year is here but to give. If you're like me and you live in the Sunshine State, sometimes it can be just that little bit too hot to move. You might think the weather warms up, it's not raining as much, you're not shivering through winter. But often we hear the opposite excuse from our clients where they go, well, now it's too hot to exercise.
Speaker 4: Now it's too hot to move.
Speaker 3: So I really do feel like it's a great time of year to be talking about those practical movement tips. And like you said, you don't want to head into a new year, like a brand new fresh year, feeling way down and heavy and making really crappy choices through December and feeling like you're starting a new year on the wrong foot. So we really want to give our listeners those practical tips today to start off on the right foot and to really kick off twenty twenty four feeling wonderful in their body instead of actually feeling guilty and annoyted themselves and making crappy choices all through December.
Speaker 2: True, and I don't disagree with you, actually because I haven't spent a lot of time up in Brisbane where you are until we sort of met, and it is really hot. And what I also have learned is that you know, I'm in Sydney, so you know, getting up at five am is sort of a bit extreme encouraging people to do that, but certainly that's kind of the norm where you are because the days are different with so it's certainly important that you link your lifestyle choices to what fits in best with you. That's a classic example. If you are in a hot state, obviously it's not going to make sense to do it training in the middle of the day, so maybe having exercise equipment at home is a much more viable option. And I really encourage my clients to spend time thinking about what they will do rather than what they think they should do, because how many of us have got a gym membership or even exercise equipment at home and it doesn't get touched. So it's really about considering if we have to do this much. We'll talk a minute about how much is a minimum, but if we need to move our bodies each day and get our heart rate up, you know regularly throughout the week, how am I actually going to do it? Is it teaming with a friend? Do I need to pay a personal trainer? Do I need to get up at five? Do I need to get my husband to go with me after dinner?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Actually, when am I going to do it? As opposed to thinking you're going to and then it just never happens. There's a level of acceptance certainly that comes from exercise, and to a certain degree you've got to enjoy it absolutely and you know, yes, acceptance, but also find something that's not such a burden that basically it just never happens because there's always an excuse, whether it's too hot, too cold, windy days or too short whatever, there's always something if you don't want to do it, Whereas at least if you can put a positive spin on it in terms of what you enjoy socially, going to a gym, paying someone can really help. But this was an amazing new study land that you found. We actually took it from an article on The Conversation, which is a very respected scientific sort of place of publication, just this year, just very recently, and it was looking at individuals over the age of fifty and what was going to be sort of the ideal amount of higher intensity training, particularly for people who were sitting all day. And I would say that's eighty percent of my clients, including myself. You know, you get up driving kids to school, sitting in traffic, commuting with work on the train, and then of course most of us are at desk jobs, you know, six, eight, ten, twelve hours and then sit down and get exhausted. So you can see how our activity levels and metabolic rate has been so negatively impact just by the course of life over the past twenty thirty forty years. So this was a study that combined quite a big data set from a range of different countries including Norway, Sweden, and the United States, and it included about twelve thousand people.
Speaker 1: So it's a really big group.
Speaker 2: And they basically wore tracking devices, which is something like a garment to see actually how much movement you're doing, and it really tracked how active they were in terms of heart rate, but also how much sedentary sitting time they had as part of their daily routines.
Speaker 1: They were followed for two years.
Speaker 2: Up to five years, so again a really strong data set, and they looked at several different outcome variables and health data, so heart disease, rears, cancer, diabetes, how much alcohol they were drinking, whether they were smoking. The first thing I'll say is that eight hundred people did die over that course of period.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind the people were over fifty.
Speaker 2: And the researchers found that people who were sedentary who sat down for more than twelve hours a day had a thirty eight percent higher risk than people who sat for just eight So that both is a really long period of time sitting, but just a four hour difference made a significant difference on the risk of death. Now, this was only observed in individuals who did less than twenty two minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day. So if they managed to do twenty two minutes of exercise, so that might be a faster walk where your heart rate was elevated, it might be a gym class, It might be sort of doing a bit of a run walk with the dog in the morning. It might be actively paying with the kids, you know, and getting your heart rate up. Outside any of the above, you know, where you're actually getting a decent heart rate. It basically was highly protective against sitting. So not only is it about moving a bit more and sitting for less, you know, ideally eight hours or less, but just getting twenty two minutes of higher intensity movement. That could just be power walking through the shopping center in your lunch break to pick up stuff for dinner, and that significantly reduced the risk of a premature death. So I just thought that is such a good number. One twenty two is my birthday, it's the birthday of all my family, and it's power numbers for very lucky, easy to remember. But I think lean often when I'm speaking to clients, they will talk about needing to find the hour, needing to get to the gym, to drive there, to get changed, to have a shower in a busy life, and hours a long time, even longer if you've got a bigger commute. Twenty two minutes is doable in a lunch break. You don't even need to get changed. It's not about you know, sweating it out. It's just about vigor as something moving more quickly. And I think that's a fabulous message going into the holiday period. You just got to find twenty two minutes to do something different and to buffer the effect of sitting down, but significantly reducing your risk of premature death over the age of fifty.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's a fantastic study.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And when you think about twenty two minutes, most of us get an hour for our lunch break. Occasionally some people all have some clients to say, look going to get thirty minutes. But on the large majority, I think most of us get an hour for our lunch break. Do most of us use that? No, most of us work through. Are we getting paid more to work through?
Speaker 4: Probably? Not.
Speaker 3: Big push in workplaces these days to really prioritize your physical and your mental health. So not taking your lunch break, that's on you. You know, our listeners, You're an adult. You need to make these decisions for yourself. Take a proper lunch break. It's you know, legal. You have to give your employees a proper lunch break every day. Most of us are getting an hour twenty two minutes. Out of that hour, you can go and sweat it out. You can run up and down some stairs. You can just do some push ups, some burpies in your office if that's what you want to do. You still have time for a quick shower, and you still have time to get in a really nourishing lunch so I really do find that this study Susie is super powerful. It was quite shocking though. The first time I read it remember kind of just like briefly scanning it to think, oh, what's a good study we can talk about on the podcast, what's something new, what's something trendy? And the first thing my eyes glazed over was eight hundred and five participants died, and I was like, what what.
Speaker 4: Is the study talking about?
Speaker 3: Then I went back and I read it probably and I was like, it followed twelve zerousand people, and I was like, that's you know, it's not a lot when you think about it was twelve thousand people overall.
Speaker 4: But then I read the.
Speaker 3: Next thing I read when my eyes glazed over, Susie was age fifty or older. I was like, they were only fifty, but no, they were fifty or older. So you know a large majority of the participants that diet may have been in their seventies, eighties, nineties, or you know, potentially even one hundred. So I would say the large majority of participants were you know, a lot older than their fifties. But it just goes to highlight that we don't have to do a lot, I think for so many of us, like you said, Susie, think we have to carve out that whole hour, the whole sixty minutes has to be spent exercising. Then you have to warm down and stretch, then you have to go shower, then you have to go eat something. For most of us, we think about exercises this huge two to three hour chunk of our day. But this study is really powerful because it's not really talking about weight loss, it's not really talking about aesthetics, it's not really talking about even building significant muscle mass. It's just talking about reducing your risk of premature debts. So if you want to grow up to see your kids have kids, if you want to grow up and actually enjoy your retirement, if you want to reach sixty seventy eighty years old and be in good health, you need to actually be getting your heart rate up each day. And Susie, my mum's a wonderfully sample of that. We know Sophie was always a dietician well before her time. We've always said that my mom plays squash. You know, she'd kicked me if I set her age on the podcast. But I can promise you that she looks far far far younger than she actually is, and she plays squash twice a week.
Speaker 4: Susie, that is one of.
Speaker 3: The high intensity sports that you can play.
Speaker 4: It is so hard.
Speaker 3: I played it, you know, all growing up your heart rate, Like you can get that jacked in like a couple of minutes playing squash.
Speaker 2: I told my husband he can't go back and play squash because I reckon he'll die. Like it is so high intensity. Like she is fit, fity.
Speaker 3: Sometimes her sets go to five like in squash, you know, you did five sets, and like intennis for women they only do three sets and squash you do five. It's crazy she like she's so fit. But having you know, getting that exercise up is important. We talk about steps all the time, but actively increasing your heart rate keeps your body healthy. So it doesn't matter how you do that. Like I said, you can run up and downstairs, you can play squash, you can go rock climbing, you can pick up your grandkids and throw them in the air twenty times. If that gets your heart rate up, that's important as well. But we have to do that lower intensity movement just to get that body generally moving. But we also need to focus on driving our heart rate up for those general health benefits and to keep us healthier and living longer long term.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed the studies, Suzy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I thought it was really good.
Speaker 2: And I agree with you one hundred percent about the lunch breaks because I have this conversation all the time with my clients. But I also myself because I'm seeing clients and will sit eight ten hours some days, which is I just know, so bad for my own body. I will really try and schedule something to do on the walk, so I'll only generally speak on the phone to people when I'm walking, so I'll sort of schedule something because that almost passes the time when you've actually got stuff to do. So I think as soon as you're starting to link it to a good podcast like the Nutrition Couch, you know you're calling a friend, you're doing something in that line because we're often scared to say it, but there's other people in the same boat. If you say to someone else in the office, or you know, I need to get my steps up, would you mind if we had it.
Speaker 1: On Could we do it on a could we do it on a walk?
Speaker 2: You know, all those things have to factor in, particularly for individuals who are spending extra amounts of time at work. They're not paid for, you know, those ten twelve hour days. Don't be scared to, you know, ask for that bit of time. But I think taking away from the getting change, the sweatiness, all of those bits and pieces, just being able to even stroll at a shopping center. I've got several clients who work close to a shopping center and they're not natural movers. And I'll say, just go and do the rounds of the shops at lunchtime, you know, do a few errands and that's okay. You know, it's better than nothing. And I thought, I just thought it was such a great message that it's not about time, it's about just getting it regularly and starting to factor it in. And that's a great goal as we move into the new year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I'll just quickly add I work with a lady I think it must being about two years now and she just turned seventy and her I guess, fear in terms of movement, and this was very genuine. She didn't want to go outside. She didn't live in a very safe neighborhood. It's quite dark where she lives. She lived overseas the pavement and the concretes are quite uneven. So for her, the biggest barrier to getting out and moving was actually a safety issue. What we did is we got her to go into a local shopping center. I was gonna say supermarket, but big, you know, shopping center type thing. Over in Australia we have places like Westfields. It was the equivalent of that overseas, and she would just walk around so that it was flat, it was air condition, there was always like security guards and other people around. It really removed that safety barrier for her moving. And I think where she lived the shops were closed only I think on like a Sunday or something, but it was open six days of the week. So she would head into that shopping center six days a week and get her movement going. She would walk quite quickly and then slow down and have little breaks in between.
Speaker 4: There were seats she could sit down. For her really.
Speaker 3: Removed that barrier of it being a safe issue to move and she really found a practical solution.
Speaker 4: So I love shopping centers for movement.
Speaker 3: It's safe, the grounds flat, it's air condition, there's always people around.
Speaker 4: It's good motivation. I couldn't be more of a fan of shopping centers.
Speaker 3: If you live nearby, you know, if you've got a forty five minute commute, perhaps we need to find another option for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I think in Brisbane experiencing that heat one hundred percent place it's the air conditions, so go for it. Power the pavement and being dieticians, I think I would go to a supermarket at least every day, if not twice, so pounding those aisles, it does add up over time. You'll be surprised. So yeah, scouring for new products in the supermarket's a good way to get a few steps up as well.
Speaker 4: Twice a day. You should buy some shares with Colson Woworth.
Speaker 1: Oh, I should absolutely anyway. And you've got an.
Speaker 2: Amazing case study for us, which is very inspiring at this time of year, where your client sort of just really fiddled with their ex I'm ASSUMINGX of female. She fiddled with her training, which I think is that a really interesting example of how powerful it is changing mixing up the types of training.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I want to be transparent. Of course we did fiddle with her nutrition as well. So she started on the program with me and my coaching service, and you know, we set her up with a great nutrition planet was personalized to her, it was practical, But what she really struggled with was actually sticking to the deficit. She was eating great food, she was eating the correct portions, but she was finding it really hard to stick to that amount of food that she knows she needed to eat to actually achieve a deficit to elicit fat loss because she was hungry. Now, the type of training she was doing wasn't actually supporting her weight loss goal, right, you would think, or intuitively people would think. Myself included back in the day that the more intensely you exercise, the harder you exercise, the more you got your sweat up, the more fat you're going to burn. Right, particularly if you know we're looking at those calories burn percession. We might be on a bike at the gym, and sometimes those bikes or those rollers have you know, the calories up on the screen. Sometimes that can be one of in my experience, the worst things for fat loss is actually trying to outburn the calories in your workout. Really, what we want to think about is thinking about nutrition, controlling your fat loss, and then using training to you know, improve your sleep, improve your mood.
Speaker 4: Improve your strength.
Speaker 3: The cardiovascular benefits of exercise. So what she was doing, Susie, if she was at a gym and they had a lot of those high intensity type classes, the pumps, the hit type classes where you get your heart rate up, you're jumping up and down all the time, a lot of aerobic style classes. She was doing them, Susie, one to two times a day, six to seven times a week. So the first thing I said to her is that it is far too much like you are over trying and that is why you were hungry. So it wasn't that she was, I guess, cheating her diet quote unquote. It wasn't that she wasn't trying. It wasn't anything a boy. The fact that she was genuinely hungry all of the time because she was training so much. To what I said to her is let's cut down the amount of sessions that you're doing. Reduce her down to just one a day. Now, this lady was someone that just loved exercise. You know those people, Susan, that just genuinely love exercise. And the thought of me suggesting that she don't exercise every day and even just have one rest day week, she was horrified. I was like, it's okay to have a rest day, and she's like, I know, it's okay, but I don't want to. I love it, like she could have been a fitness instructor in another life because she just loved exercise that much. But I said to her that sometimes even though you'd love it, it's actually really important to have a rest day, even if you don't feel like your body needs it. So we reduce the amount of sessions that she was doing to one a day maximum, and they weren't all high intensity suits because what I find in my experience is the higher intensity you exercise for most people in the initial stages, so thirty to sixty minutes, even an hour or two after the session, the hunger is diminished, right, and then it ramps up, particularly that night, particularly the next day, and into the week as well, and you're almost like trying to play catch up the whole time. Chryna stay on top of this like crazy, crazy hunger. So what we did is we swapped her to what I call that lower intensity type of exercise she was working. Eventually lined her up with a personal trainer as well, because one of the barriers for her doing more resistance or weight based sessions. Was that she didn't feel confident, so she enlisted a personal trainer within the gym. She was doing I think remember about two to three weight based sessions a week, and the rest of that was just general walking and she would mix it up. Sometimes she'd go for a hike, sometimes she'd catch up with her friend. Sometimes she'd just do a bit of walking on the treadmill, and she'd do that at varying sort of intensity. Sometimes it was an incline, sometimes it was just on the flat. Sometimes it was walking very quickly. Sometimes it was just a really slow paced thing where she'd listen to a podcast. So just changing up that type of exercise then allowed her to stick to the deficit, and over the course of twelve week Susie she lost eight point six kilos. That's an amazing result. And she'd said to me, I've been trying to lose weight for the better part of three years. It wasn't that she was doing anything wrong. It wasn't that she was like self sabotaging herself or falling off the wagon. It was just that she was over exercising and she was doing that type of exercise that made her hungry all of the time, so the portions that she needed to eat to lose weight, she couldn't actually stick to that because she was so hungry. But when we swapped her to more of that low intensity exercise, sure she still felt hunger occasionally, but it's that type of hunger where it's manageable. You're like, well, I'm hungry, but I've got lunch in an hour or no, dinner's coming up.
Speaker 4: It's around the corner. I can wait.
Speaker 3: It's not like you have that lunch and an hour later you're like, oh my goodness, I'm so hungry, give me something to eat. It wasn't that type of bottomless pit type of hunger anymore. So she found it a lot more manageable, and day to day she was actually able to really stay on track and nail those portions for fat loss. So I think it's a really important, I guess reflection for people our listeners to really look at the type of training that, even if you genuinely love it, sometimes most of our clients are overexercising, Susie or the under exercising. It's very rare that we see people doing the right amount of training for their goals, isn't it?
Speaker 1: What I see?
Speaker 2: And what I think monitoring devices like garments for are so powerful is first of all, when I'm starting with a client, they're generally undermoving and just to gradually increase the movement over time. So I think the data shows that when you're paying attention to steps, you do an average of two thousand more just by being mindful about it. And whilst we all do have a potometer on the phone, we're often not carrying it. You would argue is it accurate? So certainly self monitoring devices are extremely powerful. But the second group I will use it for is not dissimilar to your client presentation, is they might be training, but I'm really questioning intensity. So I'll describe it that they're maintaining they're not training, because human bodies are very smart and they really get efficient, and often things that were giving you a really elevated heart rate three or six months ago are no longer. You know, you might be sitting at one twenty one thirty when with your age, you might need to get up to one forty one fifty even one sixty to get into fat burning. So I find for clients who are training but not getting results or even overtraining like your client example, they really give that specificity that's required to adjust accordingly, because a lot when it comes to say losing the last five kilos or a relatively small amount of weight it say anything less than ten kilos, you're already quite fit. Really it's about shaping the body and getting body fat down. You know, you might be seventy, you want to be sixty or eighty. You want to be seventy but much leaner. It's about changing body composition so you don't want to keep maintaining muscle mass. You've often got to change the training to be able to lose both fat and some muscle, because you can't just lose fat mass you're going to lose both, so you're really adjusting body compositions. So that kind of what you're doing with that client, where you're adjusting weights or the type of resistance training and the amounts of cardio and in this instant bringing heart rate down because it's an overtraining effect, is very very specific knowledge. So when you've got data from monitoring devices like garment, very powerful to be able to do so for anyone in your family who is a trainer, going to CrossFit, going to the gym regularly weights and perhaps still not happy with their body composition. It's a great investment to have one of those devices to really adjust your training and get the specificity that you're needing to get the results you're looking for. So that's a beautiful case study. And yeah, heart rate and monitoring can be very powerful or even leand just for sleep, because the data shows that if you've had terrible sleep or your heart rates elevated in the morning, it really should influence the type of training you do or as well with the menstrual cycle, so that will affect fatigue, recovery, heart rate, all those things, and that can sort of dictate maybe it's not a great day for a run, it's a better day to go for a swim. So I think as we learn more about individualized training regimes and with data like that for sleep, etc. We learn a lot more about our body and we can adjust our schedules accordingly.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think I'll just make a final point here, Susie. I think it's a really important time of year as well when we're talking about monitoring your exercise and lists. The help of a professional like Susie and I can give some general advice around exercise and changing it up and doing some different things. But if you walk into a gym and you have no idea what to do, if you've been doing the same type of exercise for one, two, three, five years and you're not getting the results that you want, and this is the help of a professional, and it might be a qualified personal trainer, it might be an exercise physiologist if you've got some rehable injury issues, if you're getting pain when you exercise, or even.
Speaker 4: A physiotherapist as well.
Speaker 3: I've seen lots of physios in the past, Susie, for injury you know management, they've managed the injury, then they give me programs to progress from there. And after I gave birth to both my girls, I saw a specific women's health physio for my postpart and training and return to exercise period of plow. So we cannot, you know, stress the importance and enough, Susie of linking up with qualified professionals. And I feel like within the nutrition and exercise space, because there's so much available free online, people think, well, I know how to eat, it's easy, I'll just do it myself. Well, I know how to exercise. It's easy, I'll do it myself. Well, we often see clients who are nursing, you know, pretty significant injuries because they've overdone things because the technique hasn't been right, because I have been overtraining and underfueling. So it's a really important time of year to invest in yourself, because there is no better investment than actually investing in yourself and getting some personalized expert advice. Make sure you're not just hitting up your favorite influence as a six pack on Instagram to ask for a training program. Make sure you're actually getting some personalized advice based on your body, your goals, your training background, and if you've got any sort of injury risk that they need to manage as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, our final question of the day is actually a great one that you've come up with for our script to daily and because it comes up quite regularly and often, what clients will do naturally is perhaps not the best choice, So I thought it lends itself to a really great discussion. The question is I exercise after dinner? Should I come home and then eat or just go to bed. So I'll kick off and say, oh, there's so many sort of ifs and butts with this question. So the first thing I would say, it really depends on your dietary goals. If one of your dietary goals is to gain lean muscle tissue, I would absolutely say you should eat and recover after the session. So you don't want to go to bed with sort of two three hours since your last meal, because you'll basically be burning through muscle baths overnight and not gain lean tissue. So I would certainly encourage a client in that situation to come home and have a serve of carbon protein, you know, maybe a high protein yogurt and a piece of fruit or a slice of toast with some cheese or tuna. So that's one example. But if I had a client who was wanting to lose body fat, I would probably, particularly if it was getting onto eight or nine at night, be very happy for them to go to bed without eating. But if they then had had dinner at five or six and were starving at nine, I would say, I think you should eat something small. So I think there's a lot of nuances in this question depending on what your personal goals are.
Speaker 1: As a general rule of.
Speaker 2: Thumb, I don't really like people eating after about eight or nine at night, because I'm trying to achieve that twelve hour fast that we know is ideal for digestive health long term, and we need a good break without eating. But if it was earlier than that, and you'd sort of exercise at six home at seven, I would say you probably do eat a small snack, but a small snack is something like a couple of viteweights and a slice of cheese or yogurt. Because one thing I do see Leanne is the clients who'll push their day back and they might not have a significant dinner, but then they'll come back and have cereal or toast, and that isn't ideal for fat loss either. So I really think the answer to this question comes down to what your goals are, but also naturally what your body's telling you. And if you're not certainly not hungry and don't want to gain the muscle tissue, there's certainly nothing wrong with going to bed without eating. You've sort of got to pay attention to what your body's telling you as well. But there's probably seven different answers to the question depending on your goals.
Speaker 3: Hundre percent like I think we'd probably need a little bit more context around this in terms of your goals. But I would say, if I had to choose a black and white answer, which we know, Susie, nutrition is never black and white, it is never black and white. But I know I listen, so like Leanne, I just want to know your opinion. So this is my opinion, Susi. I would say for the large majority of people, I would be recommending that they did eat, because I really feel like our metabolic health is one of the most important things. So I want all of my clients to be at least maintaining, if not building, lean muscle mass, because muscles are metabolically active tissue, right, we want it to grow. The more muscle mass we have, the better a metabolism, the better fat losses over time. So sure we might make some small winds on the scale by not eating, but longer term, we're supporting ourselves metabolically far better by having a little something. And there's some great high protein yogats on the market, Susi. They're one hundred calories, like some of them are ninety one hundred calories, right, that's an awesome option to get in fifteen sixteen grams of protein and a small amount of carbs. If that's all that you want to do, that's great. If not, I would feel like if the goal is to gain some lean muscle tissue, I think that you should be pushing a little bit more like you should be having a high protein yogat with a sprinkle of seeds and a piece of fruit to really maximize the carbohydrate and the protein that goes in there. But I think for the large majority of people, we should be considering something. I think most of us should be, probably especially if the training session is happening after about seven pm, Like if you're heading to the gym seven seven thirty eight pm or later. I really do think you should be eating before you go, waiting an hour or two and then training. But it's a timing I mean, it's all about timing, right, you know. Do someone train at five pm and consider that dinner or does someone train at eight pm? Like some of my clients eat at five pm, some of them eat at eight pm. It's also personalized at individuals, but I think that you should be trying to do that training session well fueled, particularly if your goal is to get fit of faster stronger lift some heavier weight, and I really think that should be the goal for all of us, Susie, we should be training to maximize performance. Why are we just going there to get it done and burn some calories. I really do think we should all be aiming to make progress. So we want to be the large majority of us training with the bit of fuel on board and actually recovering properly with nutrition from our training session. So I'm a big fan of actually having a well balanced snack then training, then coming home for dinner or having dinner and then training and having a well balanced snack after dinner, even if it's just a high protein yogurt and a small piece of fruit. That for the large majority of people is a good option. Particularly and it's about the type of training. Did you go and do a yoga clast or did you do twenty five minutes of hit style sprints hard out or did you go and just hit a PB in your back squad? So I really do think it's the type of training that you do as well, which would be dependent on the recovery fuel that you have after your session. So another good I guess questions easy to get some personalized advice if you're really not sure, if you couldn't, I guess, take what Susie and I have said and come out with a definite outcome for yourself. Probably a good idea to touch base with a sports dietisian and really get some personalized advice.
Speaker 4: But that's my thoughts.
Speaker 3: I really do feel like all of my clients should be aiming to train, to perform and improve and actually aiming to improve their muscle mass and them metabolism long term as well.
Speaker 2: Perfect all right, Well, that brings us to the end of our special episode sponsored by Garment to help you all become more active and mindful of your exercise over the silly season. If you haven't done so, please continue to subscribe and tell your friends about us so we.
Speaker 1: Can continue to grow.
Speaker 2: And we've got a lovely range of products if you want to share that for some Christmas gifts at the.
Speaker 1: Nutritioncaps dot com and we'll see you.
Speaker 2: On Wednesday for our regular midweek motivation your episode drop have a very active week.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.