Speaker 1: I Heart podcasts, hear more gold podcasts, playlists, and listen live on the free I Heart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. Christian O'Connell's show.
Speaker 1: We want to build a classic eighties and nineties school, Patsy, what has to go in?
Speaker 4: Well, we had You won't believe this, but we had an incinerator at our school. But not only did we have an incinerator, we had an incinerator monitor or two kids. I'm not talking high school either, I'm talking at primary school. This incinerator was a rusted old kids under the age of eleven.
Speaker 3: Absolutely charge of your furness. Absolutely what a country.
Speaker 4: It would burn all winter, not in the summer obviously, but all winter. And there would be two kids. It was the most coveted position.
Speaker 3: It was two k two persons jobs.
Speaker 1: Seriously, this will be property, well not mad, but young children will burn it.
Speaker 3: So Patty, forgive my ignorance. What goes in the incinerator? Everything? We had an incinerator as well.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, they used to you know everything stuff that plastic tires.
Speaker 3: No, really bad. It was there's that massive hole in.
Speaker 4: School single handedly, but there'd be two kids that would be nominated most coveted position in the play.
Speaker 3: How do you get the gig of when you take turns?
Speaker 4: You'd have to take turns, but the teacher, the principal would give you a box of matches, and so he'd be taking class totally different times, and it would be the monitor's job once once a day through the school, like not with an adult there.
Speaker 1: That thing was going constantly because obviously in the UK have already long cold winters. So the way that they would eat the school that was just burning everything. I remember like once in my would say, listen, if your parents only get rid of anything, tell them to drop it off tomorrow. Armchair, did you see the care taken? Like your pee teacher lugging and I'm not like a sofa? And then I saw that two teachers sawing a sofa up once in the Three Bits, chucking it into.
Speaker 3: His beach different time. But what about quality it wasnation, that's a fair question that was not asked back in the eighties.
Speaker 4: But it would be their responsibility to make sure that the fire didn't go out, so you'd see it, see them, they're you know, stoking it through the Oh.
Speaker 3: No, it was a fire god that everyone had to worship.
Speaker 1: The incinerator, even the phrase incinerator.
Speaker 4: But where it was as well, it wasn't like tucked away.
Speaker 3: Ours opened onto the plate because right next to the sand piece, Yeah, it would open up and everyone would go.
Speaker 1: You see that fire behind a metallic grill is a fire god.
Speaker 4: And everything went in there and all were just stand around and watch it.
Speaker 1: I even think a couple of bad kids went in there sometimes as well.
Speaker 3: You know the kids. You're like, whatever happened to Dave? I can't believe they gave kids boxes of.
Speaker 1: Match and let them are the sizes thing Patsy was huge, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It was giant metallic.
Speaker 2: Doors, dumpster.
Speaker 3: It is huge.
Speaker 1: It was like so it was people's stot to constantly feed the fire. We didn't help from your mums and dads anything. Any car they're getting rid of the car, saw the car in home. Swear I'm not making this up. Once a bed got dropped off and again teachers sowed it into like three pieces and fed it to the incinerator.
Speaker 3: Teachers have better things to do than soaring.
Speaker 1: Never thought about that too, busy worrying about bees' knees. With One more thing that was in every single school. There's actually a method of erection and punishment was the classic chalk duster. Well, I remember if you were if you were bad, we were made to stand on a chair. And mister Wilson, who I actually think hated children. He's in the war and clearly was suffering from some kind of part store apartment was still out in Europe like the Germans.
Speaker 3: He would make a stand on a chair, right, and he would throw a wooden duster at you.
Speaker 1: If you flinched, you'd have to stay up there until you didn't flinch, and he hit you with a wooden chalk duster.
Speaker 3: Crazy, no, crazy, This was a Catholic primary school.
Speaker 1: In the eyes of God, thisbe fell.
Speaker 3: Into the incinerator. I take that dust to mister Wilson.
Speaker 1: All right, so we're going to try and build an eighties or nineties school. Eighties and ninety school, we can try and build one. So far now we got the incinerator manned by children. Also, if we're going to build an eighties and nineties school, you need lou roll that is so thin you could use it as tracing paper.
Speaker 3: And am how cheap and thin it was and rough like, yeah, you're right, sandy exterior. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing as well. We had in the classroom. You had one of those pencil sharpeners. Oh yeah, yes, we could feed yes, you know, Peja Penson. We had to ask the teacher if you could get up because it was a real time killer because you would take your time dawdling up to it with you could easily waste out.
Speaker 3: Trust me, about five minutes, Connor. It doesn't take that long walk up.
Speaker 4: A favorite during maths class, don't you think?
Speaker 1: And I was just blunting the pencil. It's gone against, it's gone against. Okay, this don't be quicker.
Speaker 3: Run. We used to have one who had the c yes, drop like chopping always look like a cat's backside, Yes it does.
Speaker 1: Anyway, a lot of time day dreaming at school. What else has to go on our eighties and nineties school, I.
Speaker 5: Actually reckon this stuff was like a gateway drug. Those scratch and sniff stickers was the holy grail of something you could get from the teacher.
Speaker 3: Yes, what a great thing in the nineties.
Speaker 5: Brilliant if you if you you know, did your homework well or something you know missus.
Speaker 3: Collins would come on a strawberry and then you.
Speaker 4: Scratch it and I bet you got a lot to double.
Speaker 3: Degree monitor prefect. Yes, I was ding on them by the end. Can you still buy scratch and sniff stickers?
Speaker 1: I wanted?
Speaker 4: No, they don't. They don't even get we used to get the red smiley face that the stamp. I've never seen any of her work with well done or good try.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he I want to know, can you still buy scratch and sniff stickers? Ask the word you love God your husband? Because works would sell them because I tell you why, I'd like to get some. And then when you do good breaks, I'll give you a smiley face, a scratch and snicker. You get a little bus I reward the children, You reward the behavior you want. Yeah, okay, that's how we're going to dominate scratch and sniffs.
Speaker 5: That's going to be instead of pay rise scratch and sniffs.
Speaker 1: Also, I want to know how long does a scratch and sniff sticker retain its potency?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 1: That has anyone got one from the nineties but still smells of strawberry?
Speaker 5: Now you know, I'll ask my Mark I've still got a lot of my school textbook could you stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, please pease, please please, Christian.
Speaker 1: The school has to have a Commodore sixty four, just one for the entire school to share. Reject shop, Christian, I'm a teacher. They still sell the stick scratch and sniff stickers. I've actually just ordered a pack of thirty six sheets Wow scratch and sniff stickers, so show get ready to be rewarded, Christian two pounds for a pack of fifty from the reject shop.
Speaker 3: Eighty.
Speaker 1: School has to have the o HP overhead projector. Christian. I still have a scratch and sniff sticker from twenty seventeen. It still smells like a banana wow eron O'Connor. Thank you very much. Brody here to answer your questions re scratch and sniff stickers to retain the smell. I've got a bunch, Christian, our news one from two thousand and seven. I just went and found them and had a sniff. They still work. If you've got to spare one, send them to me, Christian. I've got one from twenty sixteen. Steel smells, Christian are trolley on wheels at the school with a rank arena TV on top a VCR player that's from Vince Christian eighty. Every eighties and ninety school needs a walking sorry, a water drinking trough with only one of the five taps working properly.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the drink fountain?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they just shot straight, so it's really hard to get your mouth.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, Christian.
Speaker 1: What about the bag of sawdust when pupil threw up in the school yard the caretaker would come along cover up the vomit with the you're right, it was a it was a bucket of sand as well. Yeah, to put over kids that are chundered, Christian. They should retain their smell for years, depending on how much you scratch it. I excuse me, sir. I still have some. They're over ten years old and you can smell them.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mary Anne, good morning, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi Christian, Hi guys. Hello, I've still got my stickers from the eighties.
Speaker 3: You are they still smell?
Speaker 2: They still smell?
Speaker 3: Wow forty years later.
Speaker 2: Yes, all these you my old primary school stuff in my suitcase. Oh, Brilli, I still smell. Eight year old daughter gets some at school now.
Speaker 3: Great, Marianne, thanksgiving us a call and showing that.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, Thanks Christian, Thanks.
Speaker 3: Guys, Veronica, Good morning.
Speaker 2: Veronica, Good morning Christian again.
Speaker 1: Morning Veronica. Okay, what needs to be on our eighties and nineties school? What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: It has to be just milly text?
Speaker 1: Oh blueberry black BlackBerry.
Speaker 2: Orange women.
Speaker 1: That was a bit yes, yes, great one Veronica. Thank you very much, cool mat have a good day you too, Kristin, welcome to the show. Hello, Hey Kristin, So what needs to be in our eighties and ninety school?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: At my eighties school, I had a guillotine.
Speaker 1: Yes, slicing up the card and paper.
Speaker 3: In the in the god. Yes, was it not like a guillotine that you would see you know?
Speaker 1: No? No not someone will be dealt with it. No, this is your paper and card a desktop.
Speaker 3: One's still really sharp. Yes, you could either slide it from left to right, or you had one that was like.
Speaker 1: A slice of school, the old one that they're having a butcher for slicing up.
Speaker 3: Yes, scream right to use this I don't know.
Speaker 1: Again again with the incinerator. Yeah, that's a great one, Kristen, Thank you very much, thanks for going on the show. Thank you, David. David, Hello, David, welcome to the show. So what needs to be in our eighties and nineties?
Speaker 2: School mate, Now, I remember this from early eighties primary school. Patch you might remember this. It was a hand crank photo copier and it was like purple yes and the smell would be like, uh, chemically, but it was really good, everybody.
Speaker 3: I used to love it. I used to love that and it would be wet when it came out of it. I was was called the ban Dung machine or something, and.
Speaker 4: It was almost like fluorescent pink.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, purple, like purple yes.
Speaker 4: And it just put metho in it, was it? The smell?
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, that's yes.
Speaker 1: That's how we got kicks back in the day. There was no TikTok for us. We'll be snipping paper. You won't there, man. It was great, David, that's a great one. Thank you very much. You called buddy. Have a good day.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell show on Podcast