Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Tatsy genuinely has an amazing story. This is actually grateful about despite all the pain we found out about this morning about kidney stones, you wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for a kidney stone. Partsy.
Speaker 3: No kidney stone saved my life. So what was it? Six seven years ago? I had what I thought was a kidney infection and I was here at work and I just read my eight o'clock bulletin. Went to the bathroom and really was unwell and rang my doctor and said, I think I've got an infection. He said, come in. He said, oh, yeah, you've got a kidney infection. I'll put you on some antibiotics. Anyway, it didn't get better, and a couple of days later I went back to him. There was a few other signs and he said, look, let's just do a scan. I think you've got a kidney stone. And I said to him, my brother had had My oldest brother had had kidney cancer twelve months before, and it can run among siblings. But there was no reason for alarm. So I said to our GP We've got a wonderful family. GP in the West. I said, oh, I probably should mention that my brother had kidney cancer a year ago. And he said, oh, I'm sure. I'm sure it's nothing that you know that bad. If there's anything there on the scam, we'll see it. We'll lo and behold. I had the scan, and yes, I had a kidney stone. I had about a seven mil kidney stone in my left kidney. But I also had a tumor right in the middle of it. So it was a bit of a shock. But you know, when you hear the sea word, it's like it's terror.
Speaker 2: All of us. Fair. That's the horrible thing about cancer. We all know what it can do, and so yeah, we all dread that and a shadow or an X ray or waking up one morning with a pain under your arm. P. Yeah, you hear all those stories.
Speaker 3: And this is a thing with kidney cancer. It's good for me to talk about it because it's good for awareness. It often doesn't have symptoms until it's in its very very last stages, and it's a little too late to do something.
Speaker 2: So you really were lucky. If you on't got the kidney stone, you wouldn't have gone back.
Speaker 3: You know what, I could be walking around today. Well, I probably wouldn't have been walking around today, but I definitely would have been walking around absolutely unbeknownst that I had the tumor. So I consider myself. You know, when I say I'm the luckiest woman in the world, I really am, because if it was, I've got that to thank for being here. And yeah, but how's that thinking that you've got a kidney stone and then you come out with another diagnosis as well? And you know what I felt. It's really weird to describe because I've felt this. I know this sounds strange, but when our GP told us, I felt this weird sense of elation, which I know that sounds weird because we didn't know how diet you know, what the prognosis even at that point was. But I think I did feel grateful that I knew, even at that moment, when I was still in his office, that I felt like I dodged a bullet in a way, even though I had some hurdle to sort of leap through. But a lot of the kidney cancers are found through incidental fines like that with scans, So get your chicks, if you you know, if you feel something's not quite.
Speaker 2: Right, it's amazing story. Patsy. Right, you've told us we've spoken before about your kidney canser. I didn't know it came via an accent all sort of examination for the stones. Yep, that is amazing. I'd love to know. Always think stories like this, well, that you're grateful for. You don't know what you're grateful for sometimes in life, like just twenty minutes hearing about the utter living hell of having something like a kidney stone, but then Patsy actually spinning it around it, and I'm actually grateful for mine, because without mine, who knows if there's anyone else. You do hear these amazing stories where people say, like Patsy did, I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Sometimes there's a good surmount to those, a little bit of life saving skills that save your life, or whatever was that thing that somehow, maybe invisible how or angel who knows what you want to believe in. But people do have these stories. If you've got one like Patsy, where you're grateful for something that if it didn't happen, you wouldn't be here today, I'd love to hear them.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the question o' carl's show podcast Judy, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, Good morning, How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good Judy. So I'd love to hear your story. What are you grateful for? What happened? What saved your life?
Speaker 5: Okay, So thirty years ago, I was on a houseboat in Lake Yilden. My girlfriend and I had decided to sun bake on the houseboat. But we've got two tubes tied them to rope and some baked thought of out in the lake from the houseboat. Next thing you know, the drivers the boat decides to move hip and start the engine. Of course, these two tubes snapped. As soon as the houseboat took off. The tubes took off into the air, flying, and the next thing you know, we were like in the middle of Lake Eildon, struggling, and we started to swim towards his houseboat, but every time I looked up, the houseboat was further away, and of course the speedboat had gone into Petrol. So my girlfriend was a strong swimmer and I wasn't. And I kept going, kept going, and then I could feel myself going and I was like, now I just leave me. You keep going, and she's like, no, I'm not leaving you. And I started to push, you know when they say take what. I started to drag her down, and then she pushed me off. It was real like a drowning experience. And a guy they yelled, and he yelled out to the house, but Julie's going to drown like she's struggling. And a guy called, and I will say his name, Gilbert Wangernen from a chuca. He jumped into the into the lake and swam towards me and brought me back. And to this day Gilbert and I are friends. And I will yeah, I owe in my life and days ago. Yes, what a story, I know, tell me about it.
Speaker 2: God, you've had us all me and literally jaws on the floor. What a story. I mean, you were right near the edge of your.
Speaker 5: Life one hundred percent. And I'll tell you the moral was, I never learned how to swim. I'm fifty four. I never learned how to swim as a child. And it made me, yeah, looks differently. And I took my son, of course, to swimming lessons, and yeah, it was. It was quite an experience. I'm actually kicking up now very well.
Speaker 2: There of it will still be in you weren't it, Julie. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, if anyone ever asks me, you know, have you had a near death experience or anything like that? Like I think is that you know, we sort of laugh about it now thirty years on, but it wasn't a laugh at the time.
Speaker 2: That's so unbelievable. What an amazing story. Incredible and you're like, you're a survivor, you got through it. But I'm telling you now, you really took us there. That that is a huge lake. And you're right, so if you're not, even if you're a strong swimmer, it's a long way to try. And then once that fair kicks in and that you can't breathe, and then it affects your muscles and you get tingly, that is a really scary place to be for you and your friend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and thank God for Gilbert, That's all I can say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nbelievable. It makes me want to learn how to become a strongest streamers. Well, just in case you have to try and save somebody, let me know yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, you are right, Julie, because obviously when you open something up, it's really still alive in you. It's an unbelievable experience and story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm fine, Thank you so much, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you. I can't believe the first story we go to is this one. It's unbelievable. Julie. I hope you are okay. Thank you very much for giving us a calling sharing it. Do you know what, I bet there be people listening to this actually think, you know what, I know, I could be a better swimmer. It's never too any age to go and have lessons.
Speaker 5: Definitely not definitely all right, Julia.
Speaker 2: I hope you're okay. Thank you very much for giving us.
Speaker 1: Thank you, the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to Julie for sharing such a moment in her life. Jack and I would just still pulling it apart. Actually during that song, it's unbelievable her the friend as you have to say to someone, no, you go on? Yeah, and what do you tell you? I have to say those words.
Speaker 6: And being a friend and somebody who can't swim is is grabbing onto you to save their own life, and you're going to drown us both if you don't let go. It's a really difficult situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Julie, thank you very much to give us a call and everyone who's calling in right now to share these stories like Patsy did. This was seven o'clock. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Good morning, Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: Hi, good morning Christian. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good Elizabeth. So what is your story like Julie's, like Patsy's, all these incredible stories this morning. What's yours? Mate?
Speaker 4: Well, I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for an earache. They found three brain aneurysms from an earache and it was unrelated to the aneurysms. I went to the doctor's an earache. She had a look and she said there was nothing there, so she sent me off to an audiologist. The audiologist said, your ears are clear. So the GP said, I'll send you off for an MRI. And when they did the MRI, they found one aneurysm. Then I went up to the specialists at the Alfred and they did a cerebril cerebral angiogram and they found another two. So last year in August, I had the first surgery and then I had the second surgery April this year, just before Easter, when they removed the other two.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. What a thorough gp you've got as well, because most of them they're so busy and overstressed and overworked. They've done a couple of checks and they go, it'll probably clear itself up yourself. Well, that amazing they made and got you checked out probably where you say surgery, right, I hope you don't want me asking how do they do that? What do they do?
Speaker 4: They they remove a section of the skull and they clip it and then they use titan like they use titanium clip to clip the aneurysm and then they use titanium bolts to attach the piece of skull back to your head.
Speaker 2: Amazing. And are you you're not conscious during this?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, stupid, that was a stupid You don't take pandole.
Speaker 6: Deal deals on the TV.
Speaker 2: For your the titanium screws go in Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: So funny thing is the only thing that you get afterwards is panadole. You're on panadoles for the pain to the headaches and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, so you've got titanium in your head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got I've got titanium bling in my brain.
Speaker 2: Wow. Way, that's the greatest rap song never recorded. So when you go through airport scanners, do you have to let them know I've got a titanium ahead.
Speaker 4: No, they don't, they don't affect the scanners.
Speaker 2: Wait, that is amazing. I love that. That's Elizabeth, another fantastic story.
Speaker 4: Do you know what though? With the earache? They sent me off to a special specialist as Monash, and he had looked and he said, there's a big lump of wax in there. And he got out the wax and he was fine.
Speaker 2: He's put at a taste for Elizabeth. All right, Elizabeth, thank you very much for sharing your amazing story with us.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Look Christian Connell Show Podcast