Speaker 1: Yes, I question you in Brooklyn and Amy. Yep, Barley, we've been that many times anytimes. Yes, Now when you both go there, do you do the scooter higher thing? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, And you know, the night goes on and you think, I'm definitely not getting on any of these scooters without a helmet or anything like that, and then night you're on the back of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now joining us online right now is Charlene Morrissey. In twenty twenty four, Charlene was riding a scooter with her then partner and had quite the accident and has fallen off your arm. A good morning by the way, Charlene, Hello, Hi, charl.
Speaker 3: Good morning. Hi.
Speaker 1: You're you're poor thing your right arm really talk a lot, and can you tell us what happened and what the result is with.
Speaker 3: Your Yeah, so me and my partner at the time, we were actually going to claim the you know, the volcano mon Ago. And so just going back to your comment, you know, I see a lot of people here. They do drink alcohol. I don't party or do anything like that. I see them getting on the scooters and driving irresponsibly. But for me, because I don't do any of that, that day I was going camping, and there was a truck next to us in a very small town and it just got a little too close to me, so I slowed down to let it pass, but it was it hit me and my bike went to the left, which you would think my body would go with it, but my right arm but sucked in above the wheel. And if I don't know if you can see, but it was dragging me down the hill because it was going so fast it didn't stop.
Speaker 2: So you went with the drag?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went with the truck. But long?
Speaker 4: How many maidens did you get dragged?
Speaker 3: This is what doesn't make sense, how supernatural it was. I don't know how long I got dragged, but I remember almost like a supernatural way of being pulled out. But all of my skin and flesh and fingers and everything came with it.
Speaker 1: So all of the skin, fat, muscle and tendons from your forearm were peeled back and have gone. Yeah, we can see it on the screen.
Speaker 3: Now, so a bit higher. Yeah, they call it a d gloven accident, where literally skin flesh is peeled back. Like you say, so, I remember, as I was by the side of the road, I lifted up my arm and all I could see, of course, is bones, and for some reason, there were already people there filming me, maybe an sixty people. Don't oh thanks guys, I know, yeah, I know, I know, right? Do you wor the moment my life?
Speaker 4: Do you go into shock in that kind of moment, like do you remember being in an incredible amount of pain or is it just you're adrenaline kicks in and you're just in shock and you can't feel anything.
Speaker 3: No. I remember the whole sex hovers because it was sex overs that I was there, just leading to death?
Speaker 1: Oh my well was it so long?
Speaker 3: Sex overs and tall tod? But for one hour, thirty minutes I was on the road. Because it's a small town, they don't have a hospital. So that medical center denied me. They said that you then they did. The locals called, I'm going to say ambulance, but it was just a very small car to take me to a medical center. But they were not equipped. Even the doctor took one look and you could see his face and said, she's going to die. We can't help her here.
Speaker 1: And did you think you genuinely thought you were going to die of Charlene in those hours?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember the whole thing. I remember lifting up my arm. I was very calm at first, and then I started to scream, screams that I think woke up my ancestors in the town. And so my artery was completely severed. So I should have died in like three minutes, I think, with hype of Willie mcshock, maybe six minutes I lost that artery. So you can imagine how bad it was. Joining in my own blood in the pain. I'm writing my book, but I still don't have the words to describe the pain. It's like you're being impaled over and over and over.
Speaker 2: I can't what do you remember the feeling of helplessness when you're still conscious, but and then you've got a doctor saying, oh, you're going to die, I can't help you. I can't imagine what that would feel like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the feeling that something I talk about a lot. The hopelessness, being looked at dead in the eye and being rejected is probably more painful on an emotional level than the physical. And it wasn't just the one doctor, right, There was many doctors, nurses, even my ex partner he walked away after the accident, so there was a lot of rejection a lot of abandonment in there. But during those six hours, it was like I describe it, like dancing between heaven and hell, being conscious and fighting for every breath. I remember saying things like, just let me die now, no one's going to want me. I'm going to list my arm. You know, I don't feel worthy anymore. And then in the other breath, I remember myself saying no, Charley, and you have to fight this. And so when my ex partner asked them to sedate me in the first hospital, I told them no because if they do, I'm going to die. So I have to be honest and say I've never felt more alive in those six hours, which is insane than I have a live because every cell is like fighting for life.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, okay, So how are things now? Obviously along road of recovery? How is the arm? How's die to die?
Speaker 2: Lof the arm looks great?
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 3: The doctor I spoke to, they don't understand how I got such a good result without further surgeries. But I recovered. I was back on a bit within like three months. I was back in the gym. I faced on my fears. I flew back to Bali, I didn't let us stop me. And everything the doctor said I couldn't do, I went on to do so. Thankfully I didn't suffer with I think because of the I was overdosed with fence and no by the way, so I had a drug addiction and then my body was failing. Yeah, and muscle lost and a lot of other things happened in those three months. But after that I took some months to just isolate and face it. No medication, no therapy.
Speaker 2: So you're living in Bali again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've come back again for the third time.
Speaker 1: You would think you come on and go and this is a message to not get on the scooters in Bali. But you're not saying that.
Speaker 3: I mean, don't get me wrong. If someone drinking alcohol and being stupid on a spare, of course, you know, I see it a lot and it breaks my heart. Like I say, I'm here, I don't live the life that I did in Bali anymore. It's very peaceful. I drived a bike to short distances. But the one thing that this has taught me is that I lived my life and a lot of fear, and now Dyane has actually showed me how to live. So I don't fear anything like literally with.
Speaker 1: Charlayne and edible story. Yeah, and we're glad you're doing well, and.
Speaker 4: You look amazing and your and your arm looks amazing and I love that you're really living life to the fullest.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love my arm. I love my stars. You know, we don't have to hate them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Charlotte, Charlotte coming on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you,