Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast plant that Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today on the podcast, I have Angus and Claire from The Traders, and let me tell you, this chat brings you some serious tea from our first eliminated Traders. I for one, I'm loving Channel ten's new take on the whole Who Done It format in the reality TV space, and I hope listeners of TV Reload have given this show a go. The Traders, hosted by Roger Corsa, has been fascinating from day one as we watch a bunch of unknowns thrown into a mansion together to play a cunning game of Welling Murder meets Pluto, the board game. Angus from day one had viewers and fellow contestants talking about his likeness to Bradley Cooper, and no matter what he did or tried to hide, he never really escaped those comparisons or his place in the game. Claire, on the other hand, was someone to watch from the start, and while she was an intense player, I genuinely loved her energy and I'll be sad to see her go. We will talk eliminations, whether Angus likes that Bradley Cooper reference, who they both hold the most responsible for their exit, what they think this show says about society today, and who they think will win. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Angus and Claire from The Traders to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: If Nigela maarielis ad voted with Traders, I'd still be in the game.
Speaker 1: Previously on The Traders, at the end.
Speaker 3: Of it, I am absolutely exhausted. He was going to keep coming on too Angers though.
Speaker 1: This is the problem.
Speaker 2: The people who play the game the hardest aren't actually playing the game the best. It's getting time for a Traders to go.
Speaker 4: Absolutely Mark with a question, because he is a very very dangerous player.
Speaker 1: If Clear does get the next Botu, she will be banished.
Speaker 4: Ill lie, I'll cheat and I'll love every minute of it, But when it actually came down to it, I couldn't actually do any of that.
Speaker 1: Hey, their angers. Thanks for coming on the podcast and talking about the Traders.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me. Look and I'll talk all day. So what do you want to know? Ben?
Speaker 1: I want to know everything, but I guess we kind of have to start with something. How often have you been mistaken for Bradley Cooper in the real world?
Speaker 2: My friends say it, and a lot of people say it, but I actually pretended to be him one time, maybe eight years ago at Sydney Airport, and I pretended that I was method active and I ran these massy bruise and I got a big kick out of it.
Speaker 1: So did you manage to pull it off? So did you manage to convince whoever.
Speaker 5: Wasn't necessarily me? Convincing it was me? To start with? I was I was trying to say no.
Speaker 2: No, no, it wasn't me, But then they thought that that was perfect reflection.
Speaker 1: I would get you to do it as parties, because like, I don't know anyone, I don't think of it. I mean not that I know you personally, but I don't think anyone has a strong a likeness to a celebrity as you do.
Speaker 5: That's very kind, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Maybe I can be his when he doesn't want to go to parties, I can rock up for him.
Speaker 5: He's like, man, this red carpet's drag.
Speaker 1: You can drink his beers. That'd be great.
Speaker 5: I do like to drink of View on occasion.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it's a compliment though. I mean I would say it's a compliment because I think Bradley Cooper's really hot. But for you, do you think it's a compliment?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Okay, take it.
Speaker 2: I think he's great and I've loved him in quite a few of the movies that he's been in, So yeah, mate, I'll take the accolade for sure.
Speaker 1: Can you sing the song though from A Star is Born? Have you been able to try and perfect that?
Speaker 2: They actually they passed legislation in twenty eleven and it was angus doaushout not sing in public, So.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, across that off the list.
Speaker 1: We'll cross that off the list. Are you annoyed that you are the first trader to be banished from the show.
Speaker 2: I'm annoyed that I'm not still in the running, But at the same time, I'm I'm a pretty stoke dude, right, so I'll find the positive and all my situation. I go to cruise home and hang out, my sons go for a quick surf, So.
Speaker 1: Life is good.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What did it feel like to say that in front of everyone? I mean, we cut to an ad break as it happened, but I just was so anxious for you, and I want to know what was going through your mind when you had to stand up and say in front of everyone that you were a trader.
Speaker 5: You know, the.
Speaker 2: Pressure builds right from the from the moment you walk on you're walking into the hotel, there's pressure mounting and mounting and mounting and mounting.
Speaker 5: You're mounting and.
Speaker 2: Getting to say that was like the ultimate plist, right. It just you could just let all of that pressure go and then just sail into the sunset.
Speaker 1: It was kind of a little bit of a devastating, devastating way, I should say, of you being eliminated from the competition. And I'm not saying that I would do this as a person, but did it ever cross your mind that you could or you might have been tempted to cook the whole experience and you know, call out certain people that were kind of your undoing.
Speaker 2: Look, I guess, I guess it crosses in your mind. But when you're a dad and you've got small boys and you've got a beautiful wife, you cannot not show integrity. Eventually, they'll watched the show, right, and they need to see their father is someone who says what he means and follows through with his convictions. So ruining an experience so many people is not something that I would want on my shoulder.
Speaker 1: I think that there's some other people out there in the world. I'm not saying you or me or anyone, but there's people at certain times in their life that would definitely be like, this isn't fair. It was you, and how dare you do this to me? You know, Like I think it was one of those moments. The thing that's interesting I would say for me is do you think that there is a fail safe for the producers? Like, is there a way that if someone was to go rogue, that they can jump in and stop that from happening? Like, do you think that the producers have the power to do that?
Speaker 2: Look, they hold ultimate power, right, or what could potentially happen is they show it, they show the meltdown, and they reshuffle to deack and then they start planning all over again.
Speaker 5: I don't think there'd be a huge in the end.
Speaker 2: It's not a huge problem, and I suspect that they had talked about that at length before going into the shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love this whole show because it's like my favorite game as a kid because I did drama school, was Wink Murder, and I kind of feel like this is a lot like Wing Murder. And then it's also been like my favorite board game, Pluto, So you know, I just I just think what a great concept was that some of the reasons why you decided you'd want to do this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I'm I'm always up for a challenge with everything that I do, and this seemed like a fantastic opportunity to see what I'm made of? Did it to really dig deep into my constitution?
Speaker 5: Right? So yeah, I had a crack.
Speaker 1: Who do you hold the most responsible for your elimination?
Speaker 2: Obviously Mary l Right, Chloe was using her powers and at that point it's pure speculation, unfounded and in the in the room, no one was taking it all very seriously. Her speculative remarks.
Speaker 5: So look, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: Maybe she started the snowball that was eventually ate me up, but no, it was Mariol.
Speaker 5: You didn't look at it.
Speaker 2: Mariel got Nigel herself, She gave Mark the energy, she got Craig the energy. And if you look at the numbers here, if Nigel and Mariel had voted with traders as they said that they were going to do, and that was for Theresa, I'd still be in the game, I know.
Speaker 1: I just this is the one thing that was going over my mind. I'm like, the numbers were there for you to be safe, you know, And I just thought the dissension that was there just was was so brutal. But I guess you've got to be a forward player, and I guess you have to admire the fact that you know, she for whatever reason, looked at the landscape and thought this was an inevitable situation and it was going to only better her game to really throw you under that bus. So have you spoken to her? And do you do you wish any harm upon her?
Speaker 2: I might have to dunk her like a dunked Nigel, Mate, No, I'm absolutely not. She's She's not how I would have played the game. But I mean everybody's there with one with one reason, right, and it's and it's to get to the end and to win, and for some people winning men the money, for some people winning that, to stand upon that podium as the first traders are big up right, So that's that's what you're looking to do, and there's no love lost.
Speaker 1: Do you think some people are cast because they already seem pretty untrustworthy? Because I'm watching the first episode and it certainly felt like some people were cast for you to already question whether or not they were telling you the truth. I mean, Claire's a great example of it. She looks like she could be a business woman, and then she's like, I'll work as a checkout cheek, you know, and I'd be like straight away you But do you think that there was a lot casting in that regard to make sure that the viewers and yourselves were already feeling pretty uneasy about everyone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're not. They're not going to cast twenty four loaves of bread, are they. We're all very uniquely interesting people.
Speaker 6: So every what I took into it was No one just got here by accident, right, Everybody was here for a specific reason, And if someone has a vanilla backstory, it's probably bullshit.
Speaker 1: There are a few loads of bread in there, though, there's a few people in there. I don't know if they're saving them for later episodes.
Speaker 2: But me here, Benjamin, this is gonna comet. This is going to come back and bite it.
Speaker 1: This is this is how we end up on the Daily Mail. Is a couple of our souls talking about people being loads of bread. No, we're just being honest about the situation. And there is a certain level of uh. Some people flying under the radar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well it seemed like that now, but I suspect that that be what it's like later.
Speaker 7: Some people start the game with they have they're making a bline of the top ten, right, and so whilst whilst it might look like they're flying under the radar, now, that's not their intention.
Speaker 5: What I guess there's a.
Speaker 2: Ten pack, right, it's yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't help myself. I'm a loud mouth.
Speaker 2: I laugh and I do whatever I can to enjoy myself, and which means that I could never fly under the radar in anything that I did.
Speaker 1: I just thought you were a great television from day one. You were someone who stood out for me, and I think it would have been the case had you been a faithful or had you been a trader. I think that that's just the nature of your personality, and being true to yourself on television is the currency that makes us as a viewer, you know, like you, Oh, thank you. I have to ask, how has watching this show been it? After waiting to see it for so long and then to finally watch it, what has that experience been like seeing a fairly true and accurate portrayal of what went down during filming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, look, there has to be certain edits right. You can't follow every storyline. It's like all the tributaries of the Amazon, right. There are just so many different things going on at so many times, so many different side chats and alliances, and the director's producers, they have a very hard time picking the storyline that makes the most sense.
Speaker 5: And they did a very good job of depicting the energy that was in the room.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure what they discussed, but I feel as though they based a storyline on where the energy was at and so far, they've done a very very good job.
Speaker 1: I can imagine it may change the way you think about people that were there watching the show back, like getting the different point of view now that you're watching it as a viewer, and I guess you're not there for every conversation, not there for every chat seems to happen, So you know, watching it back probably gives you a different perspective. Is there anyone that's really blown your mind that you're like, Wow, that person was not what I expected.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think, and it's actually quite difficult to not use the power of hindsight retro fit what you know now to what you were thinking back then, because I can say I can sit here with you today then and say, no, everybody I picked everybody.
Speaker 5: I knew exactly what.
Speaker 2: Was going on, and these things happened, and that thing happened, and I knew all about it. But in reality.
Speaker 5: It's not the case.
Speaker 2: And I'm actually finding it hard to think what I was feeling back in those shows because it's just so much going on.
Speaker 1: Would you recommend your friends and other people going on the show if it rolls into a season two.
Speaker 5: Yes, one hundred percent. In the fat, indefatigably.
Speaker 2: It was such a cool experience, from just the other contests to meeting all these cool people I don't know murdering people for fun in the middle of the night as part of a game Mate.
Speaker 5: Look, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, anybody, anybody who really loves gameplay and running a bit of a ruse, get in there and have a crack it. It's not only it's the most watchable TV at the moment, it was also a hell of a hell of a lot of fun to play.
Speaker 1: I think also putting yourself into these social experiments helps you learn about yourself in a way. You know, every time I've ever done a show like this, I always walk at with a sort of a different take on myself. Or you know, I've learned a little bit about myself that I've either wanted to change for the better, or I've given myself a pat on the back for having those you know, personality traits. What did you learn about yourself from such an unusual social experiment.
Speaker 2: I learned that I'm I'm a family guy. I'm a definite family guy. Family means way more to me than what I thought that it actually did. I love everything I love just hanging around my family in our house, but I didn't realize how much I needed their support.
Speaker 6: I've always seen myself as a bit of a lone wolf that I can get through anything on my own, I don't need anyone. But what I found is that I do truly cherish the relationships that I have with my family and how much support that they're able.
Speaker 2: To provide me.
Speaker 1: You know, these shows, as I was saying, is so enjoyable to watch because they're amazing psychological tests. You know, they're great social experiments. What do you think that this show says about us in twenty twenty two?
Speaker 2: This is going to be another one. People act like they act mate. It's most of the time, the things that we do and.
Speaker 5: Decide, I'm based on logic, it's just emotion.
Speaker 2: I feel as though on the show people were just voting out people that just didn't really like No, it wasn't in I'm not saying that people didn't like me, but maybe I was the first person that was voted out logically, since from the very start, right, we're.
Speaker 6: Humans at the end of the day, and humans build communities around them based off people that they like and people that they that are useful, right, And it sounds a.
Speaker 2: Little bit gnarly to say that, but really we're we're looking up for ourselves.
Speaker 5: We're self serving.
Speaker 1: And more so than everyone you know in the real world as well, which is why these shows to me always, you know, fascinate me. But we're gonna we'll take a different direction and ask you the most important question today. Did you get to keep your murder suit your cloak? And people have been asking me do you get to keep those really fun track suits that you did the challenges in?
Speaker 5: So that's affirmative on the track suit.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I want to keep that tracksuit for the rest of my life, even though it's like five sizes too small.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just thinking of the perfect opportunity.
Speaker 2: To wear it out in public and rouse some some hysteria.
Speaker 1: It's the perfect opportunity for you to go as yourself to Halloween. People be like they're like, they'll be like, oh, sorry, I've never met you before, but I'll be like, you know, that is the best angus costume I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Stranger than fiction, mate, who do.
Speaker 1: You think is So that's a negative to the murder suit, though, to the cloak, the the eyes wide shut outfit.
Speaker 2: Just between you and I, Ben, I'm making some inquiries.
Speaker 1: Some role play for the missus at home fabulous. We need to know who do you think is going to win the show? And this is not what you know now. I want to know what you thought walking out of the experience when you did, who you thought was going to take this competition out?
Speaker 2: I thought that it will.
Speaker 5: There'll be two people at at the end. There'll be able normal, not that everyone's not normal.
Speaker 2: That's mean a lovable, just salt of the earth kind of person. And there's and someone who's playing the game hard. And I would suspect that I would hope that that's Lewis and Craig.
Speaker 1: So playing out those character dynamics. Who do you think should win though? The person who plays the hardest game or who plays with the biggest heart.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Look, the people who play the game and the hardest aren't actually playing the game the best you think of any sport. The person who's charging and not being strategic, they might get some early wins, right, but they're potentially not going to last at the distance.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's what goes on here.
Speaker 2: So we had a few players go out early, Justine Sandra Middy.
Speaker 5: If they had not been so vocal and talked about.
Speaker 2: How good they are at this kind of thing, they probably still be in the game, you know, they if they played a different a slightly different strategy. So those that play the game the hardest usually get out, get kicked out pretty early. And this is this is typical of any show like this, right, So it'll be someone who is cruising through and building really strong relationships and at the same time being vindictive and treacherous, because that's what the game is all about. Right.
Speaker 1: I like the game players, you know, But then I also like the merge of both of those things. I think the merge between both of those being that they weren't somebody who completely sat by and did nothing, and that they were being truthful people who are being genuinely and authentically themselves playing the game in a way that is transparent.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's well, that's that's how we want to That's how I'd like to live my life. I am. I'm very transparent person. If if I'm I'm saying something, it's exactly what I'm thinking. It's a it's a harder route a harder route to be to be transparent open like that, because you actually have to work on yourself and what what your sort of moral compass looks like, and what what you believe in. You can't just make a make of facade right and have an exterior. You actually have to if you're a transparent and open person, you need to to be actively working on yourself as human being.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think we're evolving as well. So when you hear people say, oh, I'm a work in progress, You're like, no shit. You know, I think that we all have to because things change, you know, society changes, you know, things happen in our lives. We have to evolve, and you know, there isn't one rule on how to live your life. Otherwise you know that book would be able to be a best seller and we'd all be living it.
Speaker 5: So I heard a quote I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I can't remember it was, but it was, Look, I'm under no illusion to be the same person that I was yesterday. No, I'm not onder no illusion.
Speaker 5: I'm I've messed it up. No, no, what you mean.
Speaker 1: Though I've heard that one before, it's a good one. I'm under no delusion. Maybe it is or I know the pot Anyone that's listening to this knows that knows exactly what you're trying to say. And I think you're making a very good point. And I think that's very true. I think it's very true. You know, mate, everyone who joins the podcast, I asked them this question, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we won't see, something of maybe a behind the scenes secret from your time on the Traders.
Speaker 2: Good question, behind the scenes. Yeah, okay, Well on the first on the very first episode, I have never gone so long without coffee since I was about five years old. Mate. It was I was eight hours d and I look, I'm not a junkie, but I'm jack don caffeine most of the time, and I was struggling. I had had a coffee in so long, and I just really wanted one.
Speaker 5: And well, there you go.
Speaker 1: I love it. As you tell me that story, I am also jacked on coffee. I absolutely, I absolutely loved watching on the show. I think you were such a fantastic contribution to the show. I think you should be very proud of yourself. And it was such a it was such a joy to be able to have this chat with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say, I'd love to take his chat off line and hang out.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for the chat today was fantastic and some amazing answers. And good luck with it after the show. You know, keep watching. Hi Claire, thank you for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. I'm You're welcome.
Speaker 1: I have a really really strange thing to start off the podcast with. But do you think that Roger Corsa finally looked comfortable in last night's episode? I mean, who knew he just needed a black tie and a dry martini?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I tell you what he is. Truthfully, he's like such a nice guy.
Speaker 3: I like some of his outfits.
Speaker 4: He's kind of like it's quite funny, especially with the old hunting horn blower.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he was very relaxed last night.
Speaker 4: But do you know what, he was so kind. He actually kind of like looked at me and whispered to me. When I got banished, he goes, are you okay? And that to me was just it just meant so much because yes, he's presenting the show, but he's also human and he can see all our reactions as well, and that to me was just beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well, you played a very interesting role in this series, as you immediately had question marks on your head, you know from episode one.
Speaker 4: I know absolutely, you know, I never ever perceived that people would not actually, like, you know, believe what I did.
Speaker 3: I went onto the show to kind of like prove that no matter where.
Speaker 4: You are in life, no matter what you do in life, you know, you can stretch yourself to do something that might be outside your comfort zone. And that's why I went on the show. Never judge a book by its cover.
Speaker 1: You just don't look like a check out, and not to be disrespectful to the industry a fine at all, you know. And added to that, I also I'm sure that your employer just thinks the world of you, because if you were working for me, I would be I would be absolutely thrilled. I just think you were cast to get people questioning you from the start with such a.
Speaker 3: Maybe mind you. My boss had said to me, you know, because when I turn up.
Speaker 4: In my my work outfit, he says, you could wear this clare if you want to.
Speaker 3: Like shots from the show, But you know what, you're dead right, you know, I mean, I think, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Was on a show with people who were used to probably wearing designer clothes and one thing like that, like I walk on the show.
Speaker 3: And to be honest with you, you.
Speaker 4: Know that that initial cocktail like fit, the black dress I borrowed off a friend, the necklace I borrowed off a friend, The shoes were from Kmart, and the.
Speaker 3: Jacket I got a knob shop. So, I mean, I never ever pretend to be anyone I'm not, And it's.
Speaker 4: Quite surprising how it was perceived in that way, thinking that I was actually more than what I was.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was actually a massive compliment, huge compliment.
Speaker 1: You were my favorite from the start. I just related to the faces that you would pull and some of the things that you would say.
Speaker 4: Do you know what, I think there's someone busy thing good around that lions.
Speaker 3: You don't remember saying it.
Speaker 4: I was one day when I was nervous or something and I said, oh my god, I've got the Collie wobbles. No, apparently that's a word that that's not readily used, surprisingly enough, and now there's a few things going on about Collie wobbles all the time now. Yeah, like facial expressions for me, you know, like I'm pretty see through, to be honest, So if you could see me getting a bit angry, which you know, I kind of was in Treator's tower after Angus was voted out.
Speaker 3: That's the true me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you will see my emotions quite clearly on my face.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you played a few cards that were based around your emotions and opened up a can of Worm's me and that was do you think being emotional is a negative? You know? Do you think in the real world being emotional is a bad thing?
Speaker 3: No, you know what I think. I don't think there's actually enough of it.
Speaker 4: We're in society now where you know, we're expected to, you know, like do this, do that. And I was saying, like the supermarket, you know, I recently lost a very very dear friend, you know, and I struggled to work that day. But people knew me and they knew my friend, and it was accepted. Whereas I think in today's generation, you know, you're almost expected to just get on with life. And I'm afraid that the emotional side of it is just disregarded as being weak, and it's really not. It's shown that you've got heart, it's shown that you've got empathy. And I think for a person who has heart and empathy and actually gives the stuff about other people. I'm sorry. I think that's more important in life than being so stoic that you have no feelings left whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I love everything that you just said then, and I think that it's true because I think we do put a lot of pressure on ourselves sometimes to be stoic, and I think it's I think, what a waste of time, because we've got all this emotion inside of us that needs to be let out.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 4: It's more exhausting trying to hold emotions in, like like when you've led it like last night for instance, you know, like I mean, I am absolutely like reliving every single moment of that banishment, and by the time of it, like at the end of it, I am absolutely exhausted from the emotional like like release. Yeah, okay, but do you know what, I had the best night sleep. I have the absolute best night sleep. Because when you hold emotions in, it just builds and it builds, and then what happens You don't release it slowly in a way that is beneficial. You actually kind of like build it, build it, build it until it comes just an explosion, and then it doesn't release in a very nice.
Speaker 1: Do you think that, you know, the other two, the other two traders and very correctly titled traders, should have stuck to just voting out the faithful? How dark are you now on their deception?
Speaker 4: Okay, look, we had a plan. The plan was certain traders towers. You know, we had numbers. There was four of us, and then all of a sudden it got flipped. And I had no idea that that was happening. I had no idea that Nigel was voting the same as Marielle, even though you know, I'd had conversations with them, neither of them.
Speaker 3: So I can only.
Speaker 4: Assume that I think Marielle was pretty stuck on that's what she was doing, and that was it, you know, but I think probably Nigel was a bit on the fence. Now then, the only way that these two can actually survive now, I believe, is by sticking together. They have no choice in now, otherwise they're going to get picked off very quickly.
Speaker 1: Well, we just got to see a little bit of a tease for what's going to happen next, and they're going to possibly have the choice of bringing in a new trade. You know, I can't imagine them not picking Mark. I think Mark is the only option for the two of them. I mean, who if you'd been left behind with say Nigel or Marielle, who would you have thought?
Speaker 3: Mark?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Mark, without a question, because he is a very very.
Speaker 3: Dangerous player at the math. Yeah, okay, and you the only.
Speaker 4: Way to take him off the table is to actually bring him in with you. So if I had to pick someone, it would definitely be Mark without a doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to kick the TV if it doesn't If it doesn't happen, I'd be like, these these people are stupid. And I was thinking about it this morning. I was thinking, the only other option, or the only other thing that might confuse them is to bring some dead weight in, to have someone eliminated next to sort of give them more time.
Speaker 4: I felt like that would be yeah, yeah, that would be another good play to actually bring someone who is already been suspected as a traitor. So then that way you're going to actually extend your stay in Trader's towers. But I think Traders should have stuck together to the end and played it that way. But then again, there's still there I'm not so maybe I'm playing.
Speaker 3: The wrong game. Here's I'm layout.
Speaker 4: But look, you know, I think Marinelle has got a good game play happening. It wouldn't be the way that I played, you know, I don't, I can't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I went on the show originally and I said, when I got pick to the trader, you know, I said, you know, I'll lie, I'll cheat, and I'll love every minute of it. But when it actually came down to it, I couldn't actually do any of that. So because it was just wasn't in me. So whereas I think Mary.
Speaker 1: Elle cat it's going to sound like a cop out, but I think, you know, the nice thing to say and the right thing to say to you is that I think you've already won. You know, a competition like this is not always about the taking it out and being the winner. I think a competition like this and taking part in something like this is to learn about your self. And I think that's a really powerful thing that you reminded probably yourself of who you are. But also you did hold other people watching the show, you know, and I think about that's a win. You know, you can spend the money and being a winner of something I don't know it wears thin after a while, so I think I can.
Speaker 3: I think I am.
Speaker 4: There was a couple Look, there was a couple of messages that I wanted to put across, like you know, when I was in the show. One was the fact, you know, like I said, I do work in the supermarket. I work in the supermarket because I choose to because it actually suits my lifestyle at the moment.
Speaker 3: I've got two children with disabilities.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you know I am qualified to work as a teacher's aid, but I chose not to do that because my children needed me more. Okay, and especially with the eldest woman she started high school. That's when I stopped doing that. You know, I have strength to realize that. You know, yes, I am more than just a person who works in a supermarket.
Speaker 3: But I absolutely love my job because I get to meet people every single day. I get to be part of an amazing community.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm a very very open book. I am a recovering alcoholic as well. I've now been sober for four years. Prior to that, I was sober for twenty years and then unfortunately, one small slip put me back on the.
Speaker 3: Roller coaster for two years.
Speaker 4: So I've got a lot of strength underneath that a lot of people don't know about me from the show, but advocating the fact that you can go through a lot of things in your life, and you can be put down through a lot of things in your life, but you know what, if there's something that you want to go for, you have to go for it.
Speaker 1: I just think that that's so brave of you to share that story, because it takes courage to be truthful. I guess about our what's in all paths. Opening up and sharing that story is just you know, it'll resonate people need to hear ye that. I guess we're all struggling in a way, and we've all got our own thing, and so much of this world, I've spent of my life thinking, oh, everyone's having a better time than me, you know what I mean. And I think that's a really silly way to look at things, because I think we're all in this together, and I think we're all trying to get over something and it's important to tell important to share your story is what it is.
Speaker 4: It is important, and I think you know, it's important to know that there is always someone there that can help you there's or someone there that has strength, okay, and doing this show for me was proof to me as well.
Speaker 3: Number One, Oh my god, I stayed in a luxury hotel for goodness. I've never done that in my entire life, Okay.
Speaker 4: And you know, I did something that was on a bucket list of mine and I intend to fill every single bucket that I've got on my list. Okay, I'm not going to go out of this world. But not filling every single bucket on that list that was one thing as well, but more importantly, you know, to test me, to test my brain, to test what I was actually capable of as well, was so important for me. And I believe, like you said, I believe I have one and I believe I achieved everything I want to do on that show. I didn't need, you know, the silver at the end, although it would have been pretty handy, but at the end of.
Speaker 1: The day, it'll go yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what are you going to do with it?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That's like emotionally and growth wise and one thing another. Yeah, I feel that personally, it's been an absolute winner for me.
Speaker 3: You know, I would love for other people to experience that.
Speaker 1: Do you think the faithfuls have got this now as the tables have totally turned.
Speaker 4: I think there's the way that it's flipping and flopping. Oh my goodness, me, I have no idea. I mean, Mark Mak's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's so great. I have to say that. I I don't know if it's a man or a woman. Sometimes when I walk out of the room, like quickly go and get a cup of tea in the kitchen, and then I can hear the talking and I get him get his voice a little bit confused. But I've had people told me that as well, like whenever he stands to the phone and home as a kid, like in my teenage years, everyone immediately thought it was my mum.
Speaker 3: That's so funny that he's such a nice guy.
Speaker 4: It's like, seriously, all all of the players intraders like that. They're all really really great people. Yeah, and we're all so different. The diversity in that room is massive, is massive, So I just think it's great. I mean Craig Craig, for instance, you know, outstanding gentlemen, absolutely outstanding, you know, and then you've got Theresa and who one line has kept us like you know, she'd come out with these funny things like it would keep us going sometimes, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And it's just Nigel, Oh his backstory. You know, we knew nothing about that.
Speaker 4: So there is some amazing people in that room, seriously, and what a great show. What an amazing show. And you see snippets of all of us like all of the time, you.
Speaker 1: Know which is which is amazing? There is one person sitting there though, is this the elephant in the room or we allowed to talk about this person? But whenever where you're at the council or whatever that's called. Yeah, and you're all sitting around the room, there's one man that's always sitting there that's never had any screen time? Is he flying under the radar? Is he a producer? Or is he? Who is that man?
Speaker 3: But I'm not going to comment on that. You'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we don't. No spoilers, no spoilers at all.
Speaker 3: It's not going to give you anything.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the who do you think they're going to pick first though? Out of Marielle or Nigel? Do you reckon that they're going to get whose case are they going to get on to first? You reckon?
Speaker 4: You know, what Nigel is so far under the radar at the moment, nobody, no, nobody has.
Speaker 3: Even brought Nigel's name up. Have you noticed?
Speaker 4: Not even conversations, nothing like if it's going the way that it's been going. So I'm now I can probably saying Mariel because I haven't even hear Nigel's name being brought up in a single conversation with even a haint of putting the boat on him.
Speaker 3: At the moment, he is playing such an awesome game.
Speaker 1: A little bit kookie as well. Yeah, who do you think who do you think is going to win? Not who you think you might know now, but more when you've left the competition, who did you think was going to win?
Speaker 3: Do you want my honest truth on this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I really do, I actually have.
Speaker 4: This is the honest truth this point in time. I have no idea because that game is flipping so much, and that is the honest truth. It could just go any twelve ways at the moment because it is changing, not just day to day, that game changed hour to hour, you know what I mean, especially on that last day and like that my last day there, that that game just changed literally hour by hour.
Speaker 3: So that's the honest truth, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm loving I'm loving this show a little bit too much. I think I was saying yesterday to angers, I think it's my love of Wink Murder as a kid and the board game Cludo. I'm like, yeah, I just I don't know. And I like the silliness of you know, who are going to murder tonight? I mean, you're not really going to murder anyone, but you know, just the silliness of it is is quite fun for me. But also the psychological element, I think, you know, the social element of it as well, looking at as.
Speaker 4: A social slash psychological because it's definitely a mixture of both, you know what I mean, There's got to be a word for that somewhere.
Speaker 1: I know, I really struggle.
Speaker 5: To make one up.
Speaker 4: We have to make one up, okay, because you know, I mean, you know, it's yeah, mind games and everything. It was full on, absolutely full on, and do you know what, Like it's just made me want more and like I'm outside the game now and I cannot wait for Sunday night.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm with you, I'm I'm in the audience and I am finding it just so exciting. Everyone who joins the podcast, gets asked this question, what's something from behind the scenes, something that we didn't see that we won't see, kind of like a behind the scenes secret that you might have experienced while filming The Traders.
Speaker 4: Probably behind the scenes. Oh, I tell you what my secret would be. You can tell if you see me from the from the from the feed up to the neck is as bloody.
Speaker 3: Macarons were so good.
Speaker 4: Seriously, I way too many macarons at breakfast.
Speaker 3: But you can tell because I've got a really thick waistline.
Speaker 1: Now that is that is my mum's guilty pleasure. And I basically only eat macarons when I'm with my mum. She's calling them right now. She must know we're talking about macarones.
Speaker 3: Macarons.
Speaker 1: The food does look really good. Do you get to eat it?
Speaker 5: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you try to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Claire. I am so excited that I got to have this chat with you. I think you did a fantastic job, and I think you should be immensely proud of what you're able to achieve while you're in the Traders. And I'll be thinking that I'm watching it with you on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Night, I will. I'll be thinking of you as well.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking ooh, I wonder what he's thinking about, who's going to be out next.
Speaker 1: We'll have to find a way to communicate, but thank you absolutely