Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold one I four point three podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Good Morning Rio, Good morning, Good Morning Patsy. That'd be Friday, and good morning Alex Cullen. Morning. All right.
Speaker 2: So every Friday, the first half an hour on our show we go around the team. You also take partners as well. We talk about the things that were really enjoying this week. It might be a book, it might be a TV show, something to stream or watch. Text me yours O four seven five three one oh four three.
Speaker 1: We call it double thumbs up. Two things from me this week.
Speaker 2: I saw a photo a couple of weeks ago of a man playing American football. He's on the sidelines. He's the Philadelphia Eagles receiver A. J. Brown in his moment between plays, and that he's reading a book. I assuming think of Bloody or whatever this book is. It must be really good. He's finding a calm, his center in amongst all the chaos. He's reading this book called Inner Excellence by Jim Murphy. I buy the book. I finished it this week. It's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Oh what's it about? It's literally about inner excellence.
Speaker 2: He was Jim Murphy is a former pro baseball player and now a coach for leaders, executives.
Speaker 1: And other athletes and olympians all over the world.
Speaker 2: It's a great book, great stories, good mix of like too much science. But I've read quite a few books on peop performance and mental states.
Speaker 1: Now this is brilliant.
Speaker 2: I get why in the middle of a football game, aj Brown is having a quick read, flick through a little reminder and centering himself. I cannot recommend that enough as a reason why. It's got like it's like three thousand and five star reviews on Amazon.
Speaker 4: Wow, there's a few AFL players I've noticed that have started reading before games as well. Jack Ginovan walks around kicking a footy. I don't know, I'm not sure what he's reading, but he's reading a book before.
Speaker 1: Games as well.
Speaker 2: Now, comorick enough if you interested that kind of thing. Inner excellence by the guy's called Jim Murphy. The other thing this is on Channel seven last weekend. I couldn't believe this is an inexcess documentary live at Wembley and about an amazing show that they had in nineteen ninety one at Wembley Stadiums behind the scenes, brilliant interviews. The reason why I is a is exo special for me that I was there. I was there nineteen ninety It was the first gig I ever went to see my friend. I was only seventeen me and my friend was seventeen. He passed his driving test at seventeen. You can take your driving test to pass at seventeen.
Speaker 1: UK. He drove all the way to London.
Speaker 2: I'm not from London, as we drove for two hours in his VW Beetle that mom and Dad had got him and we never even I've never even been to London before. Was seventeen. We went to Wembley Stadium. It was the first time I'd ever seen a music concert and it happened to be my favorite band in the world.
Speaker 1: And that was in excess.
Speaker 2: And so I can't believe that they've made a documentary about this show. And of course there were no camera phones. There's no way I've got no photos of that other than what is a hazy memory now. But I remember the road trip up and going into London because it was also exciting and the really big thing was Michael Hutchins.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just he had the leather cacs.
Speaker 2: And also these days with Instagram, YouTube and social media, we see a lot of our favorite rock stars. The only way you got to see it is if they're on the news or if you were in a stadium. So it's the first time I've ever seen what a rock star was. And it was like looking at an exotic bird. It was just a beautiful guy, just magnetic, charismatic. He was like drinking a vodka bottle. It was like it was like pure rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: And they were and also obviously a great front man, tragic story, great front man, a brilliant, brilliant backing band as well.
Speaker 1: What a great band they were live yep, still one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: I always think the first one always has a special place in your memory. But to sit back and watch what I haven't watched since nineteen ninety and one was a real joy for me last weekend. It's up there if you want to see it again and you're a big music fan or an excess fan. They've got some great behind the scenes footage interviews with the rest of the remainding members of the band in Excess live at Wembley.
Speaker 1: It's on the seven plus player. Cannot recommend enough.
Speaker 2: What were you just quickly, guys, what were your first music shows you ever saw?
Speaker 1: Was it a few parts.
Speaker 5: Prince in the late nineties got us a big one. Yeah, but I'm so jealous of you within Excess because the crowd, the footage of the crowd was just phenomenal. I saw that the other night. I think it was a Sunday night. It was on seting yes, and I said to Chris. I turned to Chris and I said, do you know, I say, was at.
Speaker 1: This my first one? Yeah? Amazing? Yeah, Prince is incredible though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was great. He was great, and he was it his Diamonds and Pearls album, I think that tour and he was where was it at rod Laver Arena which was Melbourne Park then?
Speaker 4: And he was on.
Speaker 5: A bed which gravitated on a big long arm out over the audience as he's saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, just pure rock and roll. It was fantastic. Who was it, Fury? Your first concert? Gigybs?
Speaker 4: It was year ten, so I was fourteen and I went to wolf Mother.
Speaker 1: It was the Great Noise and Energy.
Speaker 4: So they had just released their EP but not the full album. It was at Harden Pavilion in Sydney and I was tiny, like I'm not even big now, but when I was fourteen, I was even like more scrawny and in the moshpit of these huge, hulking men just getting I barely remember seeing it because you were just just getting smashed around.
Speaker 1: By these blokes. But it was Wow.
Speaker 4: That was truly a trial by fire.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing for you, Alex, you know in some of your taste, and it was it barbershop quartet.
Speaker 3: You're never done by the Swan at Thersl Club. No, it was the Chemical Brothers.
Speaker 1: Oh Wow. At the Point Theater.
Speaker 3: In Dublin, Ireland.
Speaker 1: Oh gat a great music venue that is just nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: They just cleanse, surrender, hey boy, hey girl, And I will never forget it as an eighteen year old kid from the back of nowhere, just going how good is this?
Speaker 1: Where am I for a start? Yeap?
Speaker 3: And I just absolutely went off, really really had a good time. I bought a T shirt. I don't know what happened to the T shirt. Disappointingly, I wish I still had it full of holes, but that was just unbelievable. I'm a massive, massive fan of the Chemicker Brothers, as is my brother who got to.
Speaker 2: See that they did with Noel Gallagher.
Speaker 1: What was it called? They did a trap with no years ago. It's a huge hit. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: These are great, these memories of your first ever gig that you ever saw at Stay stays with you, Text me yours on four seven five three, one oh four three, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Take a break, will be back with Rio.
Speaker 2: Pats Analysis Double thumbs up gold one of four point.
Speaker 1: Three Christian O'Connell show go on podcast. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Everyone is learning to know about the first gig you ever saw. Mine was nineteen ninety one at Wembley Stadium in London and in excess and Channel seven Bozoti had a big documentary about it last weekend. Watch it. It's a great watch. Patsily, what are you giving your double thumbs up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got to rip a book, I'm Your Perry Godmother, which is just one of the best titles you will ever have and it's written by Shelly Horton, who is a media commentator here in Australia who happened to be on my podcast on this second season. Honestly, I felt like I had known her, like we were best friends in a previous life. We had the best chat. Anyway, She's written this amazing book about her experience with perimenopause, and I love the way she's written it. Reading it is it's a bit like your book. Actually, the way she's written it in that it is like she is talking to you in your ear. It's not book speak, it's not you know, jargon, it is just Shelley and it is fantastic. She is in season two of Rage Against the Menopause, which you can download on the iHeart platform or wherever you get your podcasts. Have a listen. I have a couple of copies that she's sent me, so if anyone would like a copy, please just jump into my DMS and I'll post it out to you. So if that's for you, go for it. The other thing, we've been to the movies to see Freaky of Friday. I wasn't that the other two in the family said hey, let's go to the movies. We'll go say that, but it actually was good and Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 1: It's her movie.
Speaker 5: She was brilliant.
Speaker 2: She's having this incredible renaissance right to her career. Obviously she's brilliant than the band. And now yeah, people are raving about how.
Speaker 1: Great she is in it.
Speaker 5: You know what I love about her, how gracefully she's aging and just you know, not being fake. She's just a self and she's.
Speaker 1: So author beautiful.
Speaker 5: She's great beautiful, but she's she's very funny in this. It's just you can't take your eyes off her on the screen. She's just electric. And the other thing, I've just finished my tax and I have found the best life saving app for you know, when you go for your tax, you've got all your receipts and you every tax season you say, you know what next year?
Speaker 1: This is every year.
Speaker 5: Next year, I'm going to make a pack to myself and my accountant. I am going to be super uber organized next year. And you never want you never ever are. So it's just there's a lot of different apps. The one that I've got on my phone is H and R Block. It's that the tax tra what it is you can when you say you're going to claim parking right and you've got a receipt, take a screenshot, and it categorizes it by date, by month, by what it is, you know, parking or whether it's I don't know, meals or entertainment, whatever it is. It's brilliant and it helps you get organized. It is brilliant. There's a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I have to do every year?
Speaker 2: I have to print off all my Amazon receipts and go through them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same, No, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, it's that. It takes. It takes over a week. I'm so badly organized.
Speaker 2: And I literally have a tray that occasionally our chuck a receipt in with no idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we had like a ziplock, a big ziplock bag that goes above the fridge in the kitchen. And also christ Yeah noah.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping Ai. I'm homing.
Speaker 2: If AI can do one thing for humanity, it's everyone who self employed us to do their taxes.
Speaker 1: It's hell, isn't it? Trust And you're right there you go. I'm going to write a note to myself.
Speaker 2: Yes, mean twelve months time, I've given you a gift every four weeks, so I'm going to go through all my receipt.
Speaker 1: I'm never going to do it. You never do never going to that. DNA has never changed your gun.
Speaker 5: You think, no, ill if I just do it with each like each time I get a receipt, that's easy.
Speaker 3: How hard is that?
Speaker 1: And you never do it?
Speaker 4: Get the air?
Speaker 1: Great, brilliant.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take a break, we'll come back and we'll get into double thumbs Up with Rio and Alyx.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell Show. On the show right now, we're doing double thumbs Up. You tell us about the things you're into at the moment that you would recommend. It might be a TV show book, whatever it is. Oh four seven five three one oh four three, Rio, what's yours?
Speaker 4: I'm watching the second season, the new season of the craziest, most unique show that I would say maybe ever been made. It's called The Rehearsal.
Speaker 2: I saw the first season. I had to stop watching. I found it so I felt sorry for the people that are not kind of being pranked.
Speaker 1: It's like a high level pranking.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is like a social experiment.
Speaker 1: It's all very upfront.
Speaker 4: The premise of it is and Fielder is a comedian and like a documentary maker, and he finds people on Craigslist who have a difficult situation coming up. And then kind of like Willy Wonka, he recreates in excruciating details, full replicas of the scenario so they can rehearse every single different permutation of the event before it happens. So one example is, and this is probably the one where you got very uncomfortable, was the woman who wanted to have a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one.
Speaker 4: He recreates an exact replica of her house. He hires actors to follow her, neighbors, her bosses, everyone.
Speaker 2: In her It's like Truman shops, exactly like the Truman It's a genius and of.
Speaker 1: Production and how they must be millions, it's crazy and that.
Speaker 4: And then he has like a rotating cast of babies and then child actors and to progress.
Speaker 1: It blows your mind how they make it.
Speaker 2: It's worth watching a couple of episodes you never see, right, You've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 4: It is a hard watch at times, but it will blow your mind. The second season. If you thought, if you're uncomfortable the first season, please at least watch the first three episodes. Yeah, there are times It's the only show where you have to pause it and you have to swear, you have to go your jaw drops the floor.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to go back into it them where are you watching it? Also her salng HBO Max right, HBO Max, Alex, what are you giving your double thumbs up to you?
Speaker 1: Mate? Just quickly?
Speaker 3: The Agenda Setter is on Channel seven Monday and Tuesday night from seven pm.
Speaker 1: I love it. I think they do such a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would have been new to this, like Caro and Carol Wilson is just one of the best sports journalists. I'm just going to say, one of the best journalists this country's ever seen. Her access and the respect they have for her on that show is really palpable as well.
Speaker 1: Like I love how they deal with her.
Speaker 3: I love like cane corns, they stop and they listen to Carrow because she com on that show.
Speaker 2: Default they're all so cowardly in the wake of like when she glanced at them, like to say, just to find that point.
Speaker 3: Nick Parts thought, you know, had a bit of a stashed the others after that, Sonya Hood was being sick a fantic when they got to Alastair Clarkson there at North Melbourne and that it was ding ding it was on. But they came back the next week and everything was okay again. But look, that's a really good show I'm enjoying and I urge you to watch that. Also, where's Wally?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Remember where's Wally?
Speaker 1: Well from They've been around for like one hundred years.
Speaker 3: One of the joys of having children is you get to walk back down memory lane and show them what you read as a child. Listen.
Speaker 2: The idea of this is every week as we talk about new things, were talking about that TV show we talk commentary, this has come out shut out.
Speaker 1: To e t the movie. Listen, this is just alien. This is what I'm enjoying. Where's Wally? We found him.
Speaker 2: He's over there on the show right now in the blue jumper.
Speaker 1: Sliced bread, Christy, you heard it here first?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: Bread? Sandwich or toast? Listen. Martin Hanford is the ill strata, the writer is word. We're going and said, yeah, we're going to the news and sport right now. No one's going. Hang on a minute, let me grab a pen.
Speaker 2: The man on the radio is telling about this brilliant new book for children seven ways in Wallas worldwide.
Speaker 3: It's sometimes it took him eight weeks to do a single illustration.
Speaker 2: I've just started reading a new book. It's called The Bible. No spoilererts, but does he come back at the end? All right, let's get the latest news and sport now
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast