Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast. Let's you get a bit of insight about other people's money habits, obviously for educational purposes. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where I get the absolute pleasure of sitting down and having a chat with one of our beautiful She's on the Money community members and talking all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this, Dear She's on the Money. When I moved from Brazil, to Australia seven years ago. I had just one thousand dollars to my name. So to save money, I did some more unconventional things, like spending two years living on a sailing boat plus a year commuting on an electric bike. Last year, I launched my side huzzle, focused on empowering women to embrace their curly hair. Now I've paid off my car and I'm on track to buy my first property. Money doarist. That's so exciting. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited as well, because like I've just jumped on this curly hair journey band again and it's actually crazy, Like I didn't realize there was an entire community about women who had curly hair and how to deal with it. I just thought for the longest time, I just looked like Hagrid, Like I just figured I had the same hair as Hagrid, and I just knew that the way that I had to deal with my hair was to like blow you right straight before I could do anything, and that was my bread and butter. And then after having a baby, obviously side note or money diaries, but after having a baby, I'm like the amount of times I got out of the shower and didn't have time to dry my hair or do anything and it just started curling. And I'm like, is there something to this? Turns out there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So welcome to this journey of being a curly hair girl. And I promise you you one regret. I wearing my natural hair since I was eighteen, and you know, back in the day, we didn't have so much like YouTube channels and knowledge about it and even like hairdress as specialized in curly hair. So I just want to tell you enjoyed the journey, because worth it and I'm just so passionate about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can tell and I can't wait to get into it. But before we get there, money Durist, if I asked you to give your money habits a grade from A three to F, what grade would you give them?
Speaker 4: I think I'm sitting ad be.
Speaker 2: Minus a seep minus. I love that. I want to know more about you, though. Can you tell me a little bit more about your international money story.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So basically, I'm the grown child of a brick layer and I stay at home mom from Brazil and they had eleven children.
Speaker 2: Eleven kids. My goodness all times.
Speaker 4: And so my dad didn't grow up around a lot of money. Everything was really scars and I think that, you know, came to generations to me because my dad always he would reply, Dad, can I go to the movies? Or can I go to someone's house? Or can I do this or that? And always there a default, and so I was there's no money, there's no money. So I grew up hearing that, and I think didn't help me. You know, like after I decided to move to Australia, I used to panic myself about there's no money, there's no money, but no, there is. There is is just a question of me budgeting, you know, organizing myself and work hard so I can you know, leave comfortably and feel more comfortable about money and talking about money because at home we didn't talk about it. It's just a question of no, there's no money, we don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's fair, And I feel like that would be really common if you know, your dad was one of eleven and you didn't have heaps and then it just filters down and down, right, So what did that look like as you started to get a little bit older.
Speaker 4: I went to a private school, but with scholarship, which I think made me create good connections and learn different things from like going to a different type of school back home. And also my parents were really focusing on education. We didn't have holidays. I just went overseas when I was like twenty one. This year was the first year that they traveled overseas. So they always put so much effort into education, and I think what changed for me was that I went to learn English from I think ten years old, and that was something that really opened my mind to you know, in the future, now the track ten years later, considering moved to Australia and build a life here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually really cool. Was that something that you were really purposeful about going, Oh, English is going to open my opportunities or was it just a cool other language you go to learn, or like what was the segue of that.
Speaker 4: I always liked a new language, and I think in my mind was like, there's only a small amount of people that speaks Portuguese, and so the knowledge in Portuguese is very would say limitated. If I learned a lot another language, English or Spanish, you know, that opens up a whole new universe of information. Knowledge, and I was always very curious about you know, the other site.
Speaker 2: I love that, but like that's such an intelligent way of looking at it, like I hadn't thought about. I guess language in that way, that language could be limiting because it only has so many you know, translations of things or accent like that is very interesting.
Speaker 4: Oh and I think you know the amount of information that you lost on translation. That's also you know, like you lose so much. So I don't know it was I think for me to always you know, looking for something in English and be curious about it, I really enjoyed knowing the meaning of words. So learning a new language it has been always exciting for me. That's why I was like, yeah, let's you know, learn English and learn Spanish and expand my knowledge a little bit broader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very cool. So you learn English on the horizon one day was maybe an international move. What happened next?
Speaker 4: I went to the university. I did journalists back home, and I knew that if I want to work in somewhere in a bigger company, I need to learn English, not as the basic, but I will need to learn like vocabulary, structure and everything. So I graduate you need. Twelve years ago and I had a friend that he was DTV reporter for ESPN and he was like, Okay, you graduated, Now are you gonna do. I was like, work, you know, I really want to work full time because I just finished UNI. I want to have, you know, a good wage and a good living. And he was like, oh, I think you will love Australia. So if it's something that you know, you want to go for a bigger job, like a multinational company, I think it's something that you should pursue. And Gold Coast is really similar to I was living at Floridaanapolis. It's a small island in the south of Brazil. He was like, it's really similar to here. The weather is similar, the vibe. I think you're gonna love it. And I was like, oh okay, and then I made it happen.
Speaker 2: You made it happen. I love that. Was He right? Is the vibe similar to the Gold Coast.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 4: Yeah. The weather is the same, the serf vibe, the holiday vibe. Because Florida Anopolis there's no heavy industry there, like no manufacturing industry there, so it's really similar to the Gold cost in terms of tourism and services industry, and the vibe is just the same.
Speaker 2: I love it here, but is really cool. I love that because it could have been so disappointing if you got here and you're like, what is this? This is nothing like Brazil. So you moved here, you only had one thousand dollars to your name, how did you survive? Because one thousand dollars and no job and being in a new country is a little bit scary.
Speaker 4: It is. And I only had that money because I had a friend that she was working as a cabin crew for an international company and she gave me the staff ticket, so I basically paid nothing. But the ticket was only to Sydney, so it was from some outlook to Sydney and then from Sydney I got a buzz. It was sixteen hours on a bus on the Greyhound Buzz from Sydney to Brisbane. At the time, because when I was nineteen, I met an ossie guy.
Speaker 2: Oh here we go.
Speaker 4: In some poulo and we become really good friends, but we disconnected. We dated for a while, but then we disconnected for probably eight years. And then when I had all my visa documentation, good to go. I sent him an email asking if he could proof read it because he was the only person that I knew that would speak English as first language, and I was like, can you just read my letter off intention? And then we reconnected on that. Ah.
Speaker 2: Was that a little bit strategic as well, because I think that could have worked, like, oh, hey, like, can you prove read this? I happen to becoming me you Yeah, she's a smart cookie.
Speaker 4: It was funny because he mentioned that the most expensive been in Australia is rent. Yes, so if I need to stay on the boat with him, I could because he grew up on a sailing boat in his entire life. And I was like, ah, okay, I only have a thousand dollars, so I don't have money to pay a bond or anything, so let's give that a go.
Speaker 2: So you just moved internationally to come live with this guy that you hadn't spoken to for eight years on a boat exactly. I'm obsessed what happened.
Speaker 4: Oh we lived together for like two years, two years and a half.
Speaker 2: Is this like a romantic relationship or were you it's not housemates when it's a boat, maybe boat mates?
Speaker 4: I think for the first two weeks we were boat mate. Yeah, and then we felt industrating to it because we were living together. We knew each other for like ten years, you know, we Yeah, we had a good connection and yeah, so it was two years and a half and I expected that we would be singingling way more than we did. And I think part of it was, you know, I just arrived in a new country. I need to find job, I need to study it, I need to make connections. And it's really hard to go sailing to find the perfect window when you need to have the perfect wind, you need to have the perfect current, needs to match my schedule, needs to match his schedule. So we didn't sail as much as I thought. So I was like, oh, yeah, I live on my sailing both for two years and a half. Yeah, but I didn't sail that much.
Speaker 2: That's kind of fun though, like you just lived on a boat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, like learn to be very savvy about my space and the things that I would I didn't buy much because you know, one, I didn't have the money too, I didn't have the space for it. My wardrobe was so small, I think it was a middle I had like three or four pairs of shoes. That was it and I made it happen and it was fun. I want to go back living on a boat at some point in my life. My ben the feature with more structure and time, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So what happened two and a half years on a boat?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Where are you now?
Speaker 4: I'm living on a Go Coast. I live in our unit, and I work for Big Aussy retail brand and I'm responsible for the organic traffic. And last year, no, two years ago, I launched my own brand about super products to help me with my curly hair.
Speaker 2: That's very cool. I love it. So what happened to our boat romance? Is he still on the boat now you're in an apartment? Tell me more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's still on the boat. And I tried to convince him to move to the Go Coast. He didn't want, and I was like, we don't need even to pack anything. We just need to pull the anchor up and move to the Go Coast, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Like we can actually move there right now exactly.
Speaker 4: You know, let's check the tide, let's check the wind, and off we go. But he didn't want. And at the time I was commuting from the Go Coast to Brisbane three days a week on the train. It was so exhausting and I was like, I'm going to go to move on the Go coast because I need that, and he didn't want and that's why we broke up.
Speaker 2: Yep, catch up.
Speaker 4: He still has the boat and I even pitched to buy it from him. I was like, I can buy it from you, but I was like, oh, it's too much work for me to manage a full time job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's too much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So I want to know more about you. You said, I work for a big, aussy retail brand. So what is your job titled? And how much money do you win?
Speaker 4: I'm a search agent optimization specialist, which means that I'm responsible to help the company to be on page one of Google and I own ninety K is.
Speaker 2: That including or excluding Super?
Speaker 4: Excluding? So I have that plus super?
Speaker 2: Oh how cool. That's a good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that was something that after listening to the podcast, I was like, I need to be aware of these that are want of my salary plus Super. I don't want it to be included on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that. I was having a job interview the other day, or I was interviewing someone the other day and I, you know, got onto salary and I was saying, what would you like the role to pay? You know, it sits between here and here? And they said a number and I said, is that including or excluding Super? And the La Victoria? If you've taught me anything, it's excluding Super? Is plus Super? And I was like, yes, queen, exactly, exactly, Yeah, yeah, it was the best. I loved it. I was like, you have learnt. Well, well tell me a bit more. Now you've moved to Australia obviously, you've you know, put down a few more routes, moved off the boat. What are your big money goals now? What are you currently working towards.
Speaker 4: I really want to buy a property this year. I'm aiming for September October. I want to buy a small unit, but I don't want to be renting anymore. That's what I decided kind of two years ago. I got a little bit sidetracked with my goals. But now you know, twenty twenty five, new year, new me. I'm all in for that and I'm on track.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so exciting. What does that mean if you saved are you planning on accessing any grants or schemes or like, what's the plan around buying a small unit this year?
Speaker 4: Saving for a deposit. I'm doing some extra gigs, some extra jobs like consultancy and also trans leading text from English to Portuguese. Oh cool for another company. Yeah, you know, it's a good side hushole. I can do anytime. I have kind of two weeks to complete the job, so after work or on the weekends, I can do that and they paying me thirty two dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's cool. That's cool. Nice money on the side, especially flexible, Like you know, there's lots of flexible side hustles going around, but not many of them. Can you do them on the couch while you're watching maths? So that's pretty exciting exactly.
Speaker 4: And it's all on my life quite easily because I'm on Air's lack group where they post some jobs and they needed someone with that it speaks a native Brazil and Portuguese, and I was like, oh, I can do that. Why not and pay me? Is okay?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's really cool. I love that. Let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I want to talk more about this property journey. I want to talk about him. I want to talk about debt, and then your best and worst money habits, because I have a sneaky suspicion you've got some pretty good money habits because you had to be so strict with yourself living on a boat, so guys don't go anywhere money Diarist. We are back, and this is such a fun conversation, Like I just love how you were, Like, ah, my friend said that the Gold Coast is a little bit like where I'm currently from, and therefore I'll love it. I'm just going to move overseas, Like not only am I going to move overseas, I'm going to do it, and I don't have heaps of money, don't have a plan, Like you didn't come and check it out first. You just got on a plane, came over and I guess I live here now, So tell me where did you get the confidence for that? Because I feel like even I going on an interstate trip on my own, I'm like, oh, I don't know if I like this, Like I'm going to Sydney by myself, but you're just jumping countries at this point, So tell me what drove that, like, how did you know that was going to work out?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't know, but I hate missing an opportunity. I hate that. And I was like, Okay, I have a job. I had a cool job back home. I was doing marketing and pr for a big beer brand. But I was not earning enough and I didn't have a boyfriend. I didn't have kids. My parents are you know, they're really healthy. And I was like, if I don't do it in now, I won't do it if I find someone, and things will become really hard. I was like, now it's the time. If I don't do it now, I want to do it later. I will get too comfortable. I'm cancer. I like home.
Speaker 2: I'm a cancer as well. That's why I'm like, I'm a Cancerrian Like, there's no way I would do that. I love my home, like I like my creature comforts. I like to know and be in control of what's going on. And that's just so far out of control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: But you did it and it worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, work out well. And I told my mom that I would come back after six months. I knew dip down that I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: But that made you feel better. I like it. And how many years has it been now?
Speaker 4: Sventain?
Speaker 2: Sorry, Mom, Yeah, wolves talk to me about investing. I know that you listen to the Shees on the Money podcast. Are you investing? Is there a plan? What does that look like in your life?
Speaker 4: So I have my superannuation. I learned that, and I have an account A shows this and I'm getting a percentage of the money that I spend in shopping and that goes automatically to it.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, you've got roundups.
Speaker 4: Yes, that one. And I really like that feature because I don't need to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just switched it on. And I know that you know, that's a privilege to be able to do that, But I just turned it on because I was like, I'm consistently investing, But like all the little things, they also add up. And I mean, if I'm gonna have a little coffee as a treat, I think that my investment should benefit as well.
Speaker 4: There I go. Yeah. And also I think if I go to the end of the week when I receive my payment and then I transfer I don't know, one hundred dollars feels really heavy. Yeah, and if I just have five dollars years five dollars there. It doesn't like add up in a good way, not as heavy on me.
Speaker 2: It kind of is like controlled money leaking, like when you're not in control of your budget, right you like look back on the month that was and you're like, my gosh, like my money just disappeared, and then you realize it was on like a coffee here or there, or you might have like picked up like a snack for five dollars, because like sometimes you just look at your bank account and you're like, oh, five dollars won't hurt, that's fine. I will have a croissant, like and you just don't think about these things and like that's fine. But by the end of the month you're like, I don't know where my money's gone. But you're kind of doing that with investments, so you don't notice. And then all of a sudden you look and you're like, oh, my money's gone. That's fine, Like that makes sense. But your investment is over there laughing because it's doing so well.
Speaker 4: And then when I look at my wallet at the investment app and it's like, oh there, I no, I didn't know that I had that much money.
Speaker 2: I love that for you, So tell me about debt. Have you ever been in debt? Have you got debt at the moment? How do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: Six months ago, I paid off my car. It was my first car that I paid with my money.
Speaker 2: And I ah good.
Speaker 4: Every time that I open it, I'm feel so proud and so happy to have that car. And currently I just sign up for a payment plan for egg freezing procedure, so I'm in debt for that.
Speaker 2: For egg freezing? Was that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah cool?
Speaker 4: I needed to do that because I'm turning twenty five this year, so I needed to do it now. And that's why I got into this payment plan. Not it was really really happy about it, but it was the way that I needed to do to make this thing happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's really cool. I think it's so important to talk more about this as well. I feel like, you know, birth rates in general are going down because women are doing more like you've got an epic career and you've got this epic life. Like Unfortunately, we can't do everything all at once. So can you tell me a little bit more about this egg freezing procedure. Obviously you've you know, sought debt for it, which is great, And I love that you've been able to access that because otherwise, like I mean, you just didn't have the money right and it just wouldn't have happened. And I think that that's a very valid reason for getting into debt. Like it's funny because a lot of people assume that I'm just against debt in general, like I just go absolutely not. I would never, But I just don't want debt to be something that you got into and then you have nothing to show for it, Like you go on a holiday and then you come home from the whole You had a good time, but you've got nothing to show for it, Like this procedure that you're going through obviously setting you up for future success. So can I be pervy and ask about how much that cost? Like what are the costs associated with getting your eggs frozen?
Speaker 4: It will be around twelve thousand, and I'm hoping to get around five thousand back from Medicare because last year I was diagnosed with endometriosis level three. Oh my gosh, And I will be honest with you, that took me at all financially but also mentally. I was so fatigued and in so much pain, so last year, I had this laparoscopy to get the diagnosed and to remove the extra tissues. And because now my fertility is compromised because of the endometriosis, it will recommend me to do the egg freezing and going on dating. And you are thirty four or thirty five, you know, dey clock sticking, And I was feeling so anxious about going on dates that I was like, I would do this for myself to preserve my fertility, but also to go on dates really looking forward to meet people and get to know people and not having like a list of yeah, does he take this, is he going to be this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not just looking for the father of a child. You're actually looking for a life partner and that can come later.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly because in the last I would say two years, I was not having fun going on the date because I was just like looking for those characteristics and that was not helping me and creating a lot of anxiety about it. So I was like, Okay, there's the endometrialsis there's the age. Let's just do it for you know, my mental health too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's so valid, But also I'm so grateful that you're talking about it, because how many times, like at the start of this freezing journey, did you go, well, what's that going to cost? Or what's that look like? Or where to even go?
Speaker 4: What do I do?
Speaker 2: Like, we just need to be having these conversations more often because we're all in a very similar situation. I feel like not everybody, like I'm not in the siture i've had kids, but like I'm in my thirties. I didn't have kids until I was in my thirties, and like that seems to be the norm now, and the fact that I had to choose in my twenties between my career and my kids, like that pressure is enormous. I love the fact that you were able to freeze your eggs and now you're going to be able to enjoy dating and finding somebody that you actually want to share your life with, as opposed to would he make a good dad? What's this look like? How does that work?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And create so much anxiety. I just want to go on a date and enjoy getting to know someone and spend time. Let's go bowling, let's go for a walk, Let's do different stuff and get to know each other instead of me being so concentrated at their end result. So yeah, it was something that I didn't want to get into d but there was not all the way around, and I'm glad that I was able to find a way to do it.
Speaker 2: That's freeing. I love that. So tell me, are you dating yet? Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: No, at the moment, my parents are here.
Speaker 2: No, we're not going on dates with mom and daddy here now, No, thank you.
Speaker 4: But I have been just feeling way more excited about meeting people in general, like being around like minded people and doing you know, like I'm going to try rock climbing, I'm going to dance class, I'm trying different activities to get to know people and going to events and putting myself out there a little bit more because I don't want to go back on the apps, so let's leave life a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the apps are a bit well. I mean, I met my husband on Tinder, so like, I'm all about the app, but from the experience of all the single people in my life, like it feels like the dregs of the internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it changed, Like I had friends that made their partners there, but I think maybe in the last three years or since the pandemic, the app dynamic changed a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's so sad because it used to be really fun and it made it easy. I hope it comes back around like and things go a little bit more wholesome soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's crossed.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about your best money habit. What do you think that is?
Speaker 4: I think because I work with marketing, I'm really savvy on you know, promotions or like ways to get a discount. An example, I knew that Dizzier would be back at the gym and I need a new outfit because it was like, I don't want to go with trash clothes to the gym. I want to wear something nice and feel good about coming back. And I got sixty hundred dollars worth of GM GEA for two hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: What hell.
Speaker 4: Well, it was not easy, but I checked all the process before I went to the store to check my sizing because I hate returns. So I was like, if I want to get it, I will get it right. And so I added everything to the cart, I put my email there, I waited for the discount code and there was some extra ways to get some extra discount because I got it through between Black Friday and Boxing Day, so after Boxing Day they added I think twenty percent discount extra on top of what discounted it was already. So I was so happy about it.
Speaker 2: That's actually so cool. That is a significant discount. You are one savvy human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I got really good stuff that would last me because it's high quality, you know, gym GEA, and it's not after two washes. It will be all transparent when you do a squad.
Speaker 2: I love that. Now you've got to get in the gym. Now you've got to do what you said you were going to do. I hate that part. I bought myself some new activewear and I was like, I'm going to work out. I'm going to go to Pilate's g I have not done Pilarates once this year yet. I mean I will. I love it. I'm about to go back. But like the motivation, even with the cute outfit, sometimes just doesn't convert.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do a step by step. We got the clothes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm proud of you. I love this for you. So you're super savvy. What's your worst money habit?
Speaker 4: Do you think? I think when I get emotional, I spend especially on food or little tricks. I'm having a good day, Oh, let's celebrate and let's, you know, go to a nice restaurant. I'm having a bad day. Let's you know, I need to comfort myself. Let's go to an expensive restaurant. You are me, you know, she's good at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you've got nothing to show. Oh, and less money in your bank account, and you're like, why did I do that again?
Speaker 4: Exactly so? And I think the way that online shopping, for example, it is so gam fled now. It's so easy to spend hours of scrolling and edge things. And I put a time between my purchases, you know, the time that I add to the card and to you know, press buy. But still like, yeah, I think a lot of emotional shopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. And how are you kind of curbing that You're obviously aware of it, which is I guess the first step. But is that something that you're like, oh, I still haven't gotten on top of it, or do you think that, yeah, that's something that you're actually on top of.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say one hundred percent on top of it. I would say that I'm really aware, and some days I can fight against it and like talk to myself it's like, no, you know, let's keep that for the weekend. Let's that for a more like wholesome experience. You don't need that right now, You're just feeling emotional. Other days, Yeah, it's stronger than me.
Speaker 2: I love that. Other days it's stronger than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. But I think the process is also progress, you know, like having that awareness and looking at myself and thinking do I really need that? Or is because I'm feeling bad about something that happened at work or I'm feeling lonely That's why I want to compensate in another way. So at least I think now I have these awareness and probably the next step to be on top of it one hundred percent would be really to action on it. But I'm not perfect some days, are you know? I'm good? Other days not as much.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I love that. At the start of the episode, you said, V I think I'm a bus What do you think it would take to get to an a What does that look like for you?
Speaker 4: I really would like to stick to my budget and not have those emotionals up and down because sometimes I will put it five hundred dollars on my savings account, and then at the end of the week, I would, you know, transfer back to a hundred because I spend a little bit extra that I had forecasted that I think. But I'm feeling really like aware of my situation and I know where my dollars are going. Now I understand the value of my time, the value of my skills. That something at the beginning I didn't know much. I was just happy to do any job before any money. And now I'm more like feeling confident about saying this is you know what I bring to the table, and that's how much I want to be earning. And yeah, I think I'm getting there. I'm getting there.
Speaker 2: I love that you're well on the way. I feel like it's not too far away. Do you think that when when you purchase your first apartment or your first unit, you'll feel a lot more like you're on the way or is that not part of your feeling of confidence around money?
Speaker 4: Now? I think it will be definitely a game change because I think I will be more in control of my decisions. I can, for example, rent the apartment for a year and then go to Europe and then go to Brazil. That is something that I really want to do it and ranting right now I cannot do that because I'm attattaged to the rent. Definitely, I'm seeing this first property as my next step to conquer that independence and be more in control of my decisions and of my time too.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like that's such an achievement as well. Like I just remembering back to the start of this episode, you were like my grandparents had eleven kids, like and now you've gone off and you're like looking at purchasing your first unit and stuff. Do you think that they would think that's really cool?
Speaker 4: I can want even thing that they could create the concept in their mind that you know, their grown child went to leave overseas on the other side of the country and like having her own career, are you know, living her best life and buying a property because they didn't have a property, No.
Speaker 2: They didn't have that like accent, and I just I love that, like you've turned what you went through and like not that it was bad, it sounds like a beautiful upbringing, but you've just gone and like grown it into what you wanted, like and you've created this life all on your own. It's not like anybody gave it to you. You were just like, I'm going to do this and I'm going to do it myself. Just makes me so excited for you, and I just know that they would have been like so proud and like, your parents are here right now. Are they loving being on the Gold Coast?
Speaker 4: Oh? They are. I think, of course they had an idea of what Australia was, but not the way that it is. And I think they were thinking that I was like struggling way more, you know, like they have that amy grand mentality, and now they see that I have my career, I have my things, I live in a nice place in a nice suburb, I have my little car. And I don't think they ever even got like it's something beyond that they could even imagine.
Speaker 2: I adore that so much as they must be so proud. They probably don't want to go home now They're like, oh, we want to come live with you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I love that so much money, Darrist, it has been an absolute pleasure. I'm so excited for you and this journey and you purchasing a house later this year and just getting it together. Like, I'm just so excited that you're part of our community. You are, honestly, like I wish people could see you because you're like so glowy and happy and have the most beautiful curly hair, like you are a ray of sunshine. Thank you so much for joining me for a money diry. I know the community is gonna love this because I did.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, And it has been like an absolute pleasure and to be part of their community and see you know, on the Facebook group what people share and feel seen and feel part of the community. Talking about money with that is such a taboo and I yeah, I just love this.
Speaker 2: Community, but me too have the first day did buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the.
Speaker 5: PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight
Speaker 4: Nine work if they were