Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They're right. Hey, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode. Sorry, I've been on a little bit of a break. I'm up here on the Gold Coast. You might be able to hear some of the birds actually in the background because I've been podcasting outside. But anyway, guys, today's guest is Lexi Dyer. She is one of the cast of Ossie Shaw, a series that will polarize the audience. But don't judge me, I'm kind of a little obsessed. Lexi already had a serious tie to reality television. And if you're a Big Brother super fan like I am, you would know Paul her father for his very dramatic conversation with Merlin in Big Brother back in two thousand and four. As a treat, we will get Paul into this call. And I have to confess I'm a little bit tall. I'm way too excited to be getting poll in here. Ozzie Shaw is the spinoff from Geordie Shaw and Jersey Shaw, and while it's taken Australia a long time to get here. I think the weight has been worth it. The production quality and the pacing of the show is phenomenal. I'm actually more prutish than people would think, but I've found it entertaining to sort of dip back into my youth and live very vicariously through these young people. I will ask about the casting process, how you get picked for a show like this, and how long of your life you have to give up to fly to Cans and be a part of this kind of monstrosity. You will get to hear us unpack the relationship with Lexi and her father, what she borrowed from her dad from his time on reality television, what he thought of her following in his footsteps, and if they will actually watch this show together. We will even find out who were the easiest to get along with, whether it was the boys or the girls. Plus, I will ask about the possibility of a season two. I will even be cheeky enough to ask who she would like to see cut from the cast if they do come back for the next series. There's actually so much to unpack with my guests today. There is some fantastic secrets along the way. So sit back and relax. As we unpack Ozzie Shaw the most bonkers reality TV show today. So LEXI, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm ben, I'm very well. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm excited for you. You're about to actually sit down today and watch the first few episodes, which I've actually seen, and I'm a little bit nervous about what you're about to see. Well, what is going through your mind right now?
Speaker 2: God, that makes me nervous. I am hummed. I've been waiting for this moment. I'm just ready to see all the chaos unfold, but definitely a little bit nervous to see everything that we all did.
Speaker 1: I think that you have as much to be worried about as some of the others. I'm just going to say that not eating jelly shots out of people's bumhole, So that's fine. I yeah, you get to see that. That's going to be very for those people. What had you? I think you're an absolute star on this show. You do come in on episode two, so I hope you ways stick around to see you come into the show because the immediacy of you coming in really shakes up the dynamic.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wanted to bring in some spye that I wanted to eight things up, So I was happy I got to go when there at nighttime, whenever I was least expecting.
Speaker 1: It with some shots.
Speaker 2: Oh this shot for a musk. Wasn't going to walk into the house empty handed.
Speaker 1: Have you watched any of the other shows? Had you watched Jersey Shore, Jordie Shore? Did you watched any of those as sort of preparation as to what was kind of expected of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did see some of the early seasons of Geordie Shaw, which obviously you've seen it. It's just chaotic, it's messy. It's just just a hot mess. And I think that I think we've done it justice, probably a bit more messy, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Did you have any clear about Charlotte Crosby, because, like I was expecting her to sort of be a part of the cast, like some sort of older person hanging on trying to, you know, relive her youth. But she's kind of like the boss.
Speaker 2: She came in very lar. She comes in and wakes us up, and it was an absolute shock. I obviously knew who she was because it's Charlotte, but it was wild.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to step back a little bit and ask you about this plastic process. How do you get cast on a show like this? Were you just surfing down at Jen Juck? Were you getting your hair done in Ringwood? I don't know what was going on. How did you get picked?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I was doing, but I remember I just got reached out to by one of the production and was like, hey, you fit this type of show. And I was like, Oh, I've fit this type of show, Get me on there.
Speaker 1: But what was the audition process? Like? So you get asked to, you know, do a zoom chat or something. What do you have to try? And because I'd be worried that interview you and and you wouldn't know what you'd turn up and do on the show, like you're going to be the sort of chick that's going to get wild. What was that process like when they started asking you questions but they like do you take your top off in a bar? Do you are you the type of chick to buy shots for people? What was that process?
Speaker 2: Like? I mean the audition process, it was actually like I loved it. I wasn't nervous at all because I thought that I just got to be myself and I think that they're either going to love it or eive it. And I mean I suppose they loved it, but it was funny with all the questions. You just got to be yourself. And I think that any room I'm in I like to bring the card, so it's probably why they chose me.
Speaker 1: I think they also chose you because you're the type of chick that I think sets the cat amongst the pigeons, like you do come in on episode two, which means that everyone sort of gets to understand people a little bit better. But then when you come in, I think that the girls are kind of a little bit jealous of you. The boys are all completely they all want to peace. How did you cope with being a late com up? Did that make it harder for you or easier?
Speaker 2: I low Keen loves coming in late, Like I wanted to shape things up as soon as I got in there, and I wanted to again bring that spice, So I mean coming in late was a bit of fund to me, to be honest, Did.
Speaker 1: You connect with the boys or the girls easier?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What was what was easier for you?
Speaker 2: Honestly, connecting with the boys was definitely easier. In the first twenty four hours. I think that they sort of took me under their wings straight away, and I felt very comfortable, so I gravitated towards them.
Speaker 1: I could already see that the girls were sort of standing aside and passing comment of you on you Did you find it that you noticed that they were doing that and was it part of the sort of work backwards and gain their trust.
Speaker 2: I feel like they were definitely stand office for sure. I think that there was kind of the not cold, but it was just, you know, they didn't really put me under their wing as much as I would have liked, So I kind of just did my own thing, and I feel like I don't need to kiss it in anyone's pockets, so kind of waited them to come to me in a way.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how much how many of my listeners are going to know this, but I think they're going to love it based on some of my backstory. But your dad is actually quite famous and famous for reality television. What yes, your dad was on Big Brother series four, which was one of the highest rating series of Big Brother that ever happened. It was huge. What did your dad think of you saying against to doing the show?
Speaker 2: Oh? He was absolutely stoked. It was all four. I think it was more excited.
Speaker 1: Than I was, to be honest, Well, we have your dad here, which I think people going to be very excited about.
Speaker 3: Paul.
Speaker 1: How are you, mate, I'm very well Ben.
Speaker 2: How are you, buddy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny listening to this. It's you know, when she was up there filming, there's not so long. I was celebrating twenty years gone by since Big Brother, you know, rolled through, and that twenty years has gone pretty fast. So yeah, it's blowing my mind a bit because now I'm fifty one and I was thirty one back in the house. So now it's Lexi's turn. Mate, I've handed the bat and over, so to speak.
Speaker 1: You know the best thing about this is, and I've been very public and people who listen to the podcast will know this about me, but you're, in fact my favorite Big Brother contestant that was ever shown. So I know.
Speaker 3: May you told me that when I met you a few times, and and you were one of mine too, So the feeling is pretty mutual there, mate, And I think it's because we went in there with the same sort of game plan. It was very different back in our day, but there had to be a lot of manipulating.
Speaker 2: And how's this.
Speaker 3: We've got three manipulators on the one phone together. This is incredible?
Speaker 1: Is that true? Thing? Oh?
Speaker 2: Ok? And Dad's worse than I am.
Speaker 1: Knowing Paul as well as I do, I know that he would have given you some advice that probably wouldn't have come out of the usual pocket of a parent. What did he say to you before you took flight and flew up to cams?
Speaker 2: Honestly, he just like told me to be myself and just own every single thing I do. Like, I think that being able to say up to myself comes from, you know, my parents, And I think that if I was ever in a situation to just like hold my ground, and I think that he said, don't be afraid to show every single emotion. So I went in there and I was just like, you know what, I'm just gonna give it my all and knew that they'd be backing me.
Speaker 1: Did you find at any point that you felt like you were emulating your dad? I mean, I can imagine you may have watched some of your dad's time on Big Brother. Did you find yourself at some points thinking, you know, maybe a bit of my dad's coming out of me today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think my dad's constantly coming out of me. To be honest, I think I was being, you know, a bit of a shitter here and they're just taking the piece, probably laughing when I've been. So that's definitely where dad comes out of me.
Speaker 3: And then just wait to hear some of the language. Like I grew I grew up with baby boomer parents, mate, and I swore to myself when I had children, I wasn't going to put myself through the same strict routine that myles put me through, with nose swearing and bowl haircuts and all that shit. So I said, Alexi, as you grow up, as long as you respect me, you can say whatever you like to him. You can't call me whatever you like, but we can talk how we like to each other, to express ourselves. And that's pretty much how I raised the kids. But as you said, made it was a bit different, not for every parent, you know, and sometimes it does backfire because you know, you get yourselves into trouble and people think you're disrespectful because you're you're friends with your kids and all that sort of stuff. But you know, there's no script in life. Ben and you know that, and we are what we are and I'll bloody bring the kids up whoever I want. And look, I'm pretty happy with the way she's turned out. She's an absolute quaint.
Speaker 1: Were you worried about this? Yeah, I love that. I'm sorry to jump in over the top of that. I think that's so great that you both have that relationship. But were you worried about the salaciousness of this sort of programming? Because some people are already coming out and saying, you know, this is so bold and it's so outrageous. You know, how does it find itself with a place on television? What do you think about the salaciousness of this style of show?
Speaker 3: It's a massive word for starters for a tradeing ben, But look, I think I know what you're asking me, And to be honest, it's I don't mind it whatsoever. Like I get off on sort of funny, filthy TV, you know, language fighting. You know, I love triangleause I love all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's entertaining.
Speaker 3: And if you don't want to watch it, if you don't like that stuff, you don't watch it. But I'll tell you what, I've got my parents on one side, they're not really mentioning much about it, and they know all about it, and you know, so I'm going to be I'm going to be seeing both sides because my parents couldn't believe that I went on Big Brother, and I think they are a little bit disgusted with what they saw. So wait til they say, little Princess Lexi running the mark.
Speaker 1: Well, it took them twenty years to get over you being on television, and now we've got the next generation, so they've now got this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm worried this. I'm worried this could finish them off.
Speaker 1: Man, Lexie, I want to know, like, are you ever going to watch an episode of this show with your dad? Like are you and Paul going to sit down at any point to watch it? Because I just knowing the relationship that the two of you had, I had that lens watching it myself, and I was thinking, I don't know if anyone wants to sit down with their parents that watch this this show, let alone be in it.
Speaker 2: And I mean, it's not like the most comfortable show to probably watch with my parents. But I think that we've grown up in an open household. They know everything about my life, so I think that I'll probably just walk out the room if there's a bit where I don't really want to be sitting in the same room as and while they're watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll walk out following and with my phone and put it on me TikTok.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk to you about this because you know, Paul, you have become a TikTok sensation. I mean that both of you have such a huge following. Do you think that the reason why people are so compelled to watch your stories has a lot to do with the openness of the relationship that you both have.
Speaker 3: On our TikTok fans. Yeah, I suppose we do. You occasionally get a little bit of heat sort of saying, oh, that guy hangs around young girls. Well, of course I do, because I live with them. She's my daughter and she brings friends around. So look, I'm not making any apologies for getting on with her and her mates. Like you mentioned before about Charlotte, shut Charlotte or someone trying to relive their youth. Well, I did look down when you said that, because that that is may. I don't think I'm grown up yet then I'm fifty one. It's funny your body gets older, but your soul and your mind and everything stays exactly the same as it was when you're a kid.
Speaker 2: Dad, you've definitely not grown up.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm more your parent than your mine, I reckon, Well.
Speaker 3: You know, we're getting to that stage lex where you will have to start wife in my ass soon.
Speaker 2: I'll do that for your dad, don't you worry.
Speaker 3: No, no, I can watch it do true.
Speaker 1: So, Lexie, I think that's what's really interesting about your relationship with your dad is that you know, this will could this could be the first time that he's a bit embarrassed about something that you've done. Have you did you grow up feeling a little bit embarrassed about Paul Beans, you know, quite well known and being on radio and being on television, Like, what did you think growing up?
Speaker 2: I absolutely love it, I think because you can just see how natural it is for him. I think he was also born to, you know, do this type of stuff. That's why I always wanted to follow in his footsteps. And I think that he owns it. And I think that he's so good, you know, being in the public eye as well. And I think Australia loved him on big Brother for a reason, and I think that, yeah, I think he's just born for it.
Speaker 1: Everyone sort of very fresh as well with this season. This cast is very fresh, and we don't get to see Callum Hoole until like the last two episodes. Does he come in too late? How does he go with coming into this show so late in the game.
Speaker 2: I don't think Callum had any issues coming in as late as you did. I think that yeah, he again, he owned it as soon as he walked in the doors. And I think that you'll see that exactly when you guys are watching it, and a.
Speaker 1: Little tease to sort of maybe what is to be expected if we roll into a series two and they bring you all back? Is there anyone on the show that you'd like to see not return?
Speaker 2: Not return? Oh? No, I honestly I love everyone and I think that everyone everyone brings something different and I think it wouldn't be the same without us all. So I think I think everyone there is just it wouldn't be complete if someone wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Are they talking to about a series two at this point? Are they just waiting to see how it goes?
Speaker 2: It's hopeful, but we are waiting to see.
Speaker 1: How it goes, and I mean, how long are you giving up your life to do this? I mean to go up to Cans and film this first series? How long were you there for?
Speaker 2: Here? For about like five six weeks?
Speaker 1: I think, Okay, it's a decent amount of time to give up to go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I was absolutely loving every single second of it.
Speaker 1: And I guess the most important question to ask you about this show is with Made in BONDI a lot of the semi scripted realities, are we actually watching real people find relationships? Are these relationships that we're seeing on the show real or are they kind of a little bit massage for TV?
Speaker 2: This is the most realist as it gets. It was not scripted at all. It was just you are chaofs raw emotion and yeah, every second was just real and raw.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, everyone who joins the podcast, I get asked a question about what's something from behind the scenes, And I'm curious about the reaction that maybe your dad had when you told him. How did you approach your dad to tell him that you were going to be on reality TV on Aussie show?
Speaker 2: Dad? What did I even say to that? Because all I remember just being like kind could be going on this show, and I think it was just absolutely so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. It was a very long process been like I was. It was so much longer than what you and I went through. And you know, I got to know because she was confining in us as her parents, and it was it was full on, like the amount of work. And they must have a good budget, I think, because they've put a lot of care into them. There's regular psychologist chats and they're just keeping keeping an eye on them all. I really believe looking after them so so far. You know, I haven't seen it yet, Ben, but I just know the effort that they're putting into caring for us since it's happened and during Can you pick.
Speaker 1: That sort of stuff up on what's changed in the way in which they make these reality shows compared to two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can. And it's so different because you've got to prepare all the all the contestants and the participants for social media, because you and me just didn't get that and we get it now.
Speaker 2: And I know that.
Speaker 3: You know, the big fight that I had with Merlin that divided the country just on phone conversation and general conversation imagine if that was on social media.
Speaker 1: You know, I might not have got as much love as I did out of it.
Speaker 3: But it was different times back then too, So yeah, it's Jesus changed a lot, mate, but it's still the same sort of concept. You know, you're putting people in that aren't actors or actresses, and you just got to be yourself. And I think that's the beauty of watching these shows is you can usually always relate to someone in these shows, you know what I mean, and pick your favorites.
Speaker 1: That's a part of it, you know. That's the best thing about reality television is seeing different personalities be played out on screen and for you to say, oh I like that person, Oh I don't like that person. That's a part of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And anyone out there listening that you know wants to still have a crack at reality, tell you there's a lot of shows that come and go. I say, keep going, keep going for the auditions, because I know for a fact that Lexi's gone for a lot. I went for quite a few year before I got my sort of breaking big brother, and I've gone for some since and been rejected. But that doesn't really matter. If point is if you want something, chase your dreams, and that's what Lexi's done and now she gets to live them out.
Speaker 1: Lexie, what's a show that they turned you down for? I reckon if you applied for any show a casting agent would be would be stupid not to put you in it. What have you applied for stuff before?
Speaker 2: I've just applied for like Big Brother, I've replied for Love Island when I was like eighteen. There's one of the main ones. But yeah, I think this is my call, and I think like I got rejected to be coming on this because he's definitely more on my outa here.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say to the two of you, thank you so much for being so generous and talking to me about Ozzie Shaw. Paul still obsessed with you. The restraining order still in place, that don't worry you safe down there?
Speaker 2: What's all mate?
Speaker 3: If I ever turn you know, I'm coming up to see you and Bennie Bouley room for three for three.
Speaker 1: I hope you're listening to this right now. Give Ozzie Shaw a chance. It is so much fun. There is so many elements that do feel a little bit big, big brother esque, but the characters are very likable, even though their mouths are probably the filthiest mouths you'll ever see on television. But anyway, guys, thank you for joining me, thanks for having us. Bad enjoyed that. I now want to know what you think of this show, so I'll have to try and circle back to you guys, so you know we'll do this again.
Speaker 2: Definitely stands right night, See you, Paul, say all
Speaker 3: Right say Buddy,