Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart.
Speaker 1: App Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: This Friday's show. That means is b E f E.
Speaker 2: No, not b B it's dynam might be fee.
Speaker 1: We're wrong gold air feme.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday, Team, Happy Friday. Let's get straight into double thumbs up. These are our Friday recommendations. We go around the team talk about the things we're into at the moment. First of all, thank you very much for recommending Wicked. You raved about it, okay, And these days there's so much there's so much hype about everything. Everything is amazing, isn't.
Speaker 1: You don't know?
Speaker 2: Well, he think's amazing. Nothing's amazing. And so my daughters I said to go and see Wicked. They haven't stopped talking about it whatsoever it is. They went together. I see that don't live at home anymore. They've got some kind of different lives at university than nineteen and twenty one. And so they're back home from a union at the moment. It's lovely to have them back. They went to the cinema together huge. Just seeing them drive off it made me Momise so happy that they loved it.
Speaker 4: And a beautiful, a beautiful undertone of the whole movie as well about friendship, love, beautiful.
Speaker 5: For two sisters to go to as well. I said, relate a lot to it. Connection show.
Speaker 2: It's really it really touched me. You know some movies really they stay with us. Yes, you don't leave it at the cinema. They keep talking about it, saying it was a Now she said it was a work of art.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm going to go and see it this weekend. All right, my recommendations.
Speaker 2: Then there's a TV show that is I've never seen action sequences like this in a TV show ever. Years ago, there was a beautiful Jetly movie I think it won a couple of Oscars called Hero. It's about twenty years and in a cinematography and the action scenes were incredible, very artistic. This Last Samurai Standing I watched because I thought, oh, it's gonna be like John Wicks set in Japan, and when the Samurais were around, It's nothing like that. It's like of the Last of Us. It's amazing. It's a deeply moving, really emotional TV show and the action sequences. I've never seen a TV show like that. Right, movies, yes, but not that it is. I keep rewinding bits of it. It's beautiful. One hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't know it's based on a true story. I didn't know that. Suddenly Samurais were around for hundreds of years. There was such a respect to part society, and then America didn't want to trade with Japan if it was feudal. So they were the nudgement towards going are getting away with the feudal system. They did, and then suddenly the Samurais were outcast. They lost all their land, all their status. They had to surrender their swords. Wow, I didn't know this actually happened.
Speaker 6: Like the heading in the Machine, there was an.
Speaker 2: Act and suddenly they'd been revered for centuries and suddenly they were homeless, penniless, And so this is about that. But then mixes in squid game where someone says I'll give a million all the Samuraizes, like two hundred of them have to go and walk as separate Samurais killing each other, this last Samurai standing. Wow, that's the best part I've ever heard. This has been made for me, if this is an algorithm, you know.
Speaker 1: Me better than me. But they can partner up.
Speaker 2: If six of them remain standing and are a team, they can share the money.
Speaker 1: So some of them are partner.
Speaker 2: But can you really trust the other people in the team because you could turn around and goop job and claim.
Speaker 1: All their money.
Speaker 5: Chop job job.
Speaker 1: And that's the kind of sound effects she got on the show.
Speaker 2: Wow. The incredible action then is incredible. Cannot recommend enough. It's on Netflix, Last Samurai Standing. That is my show of the year.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast PEP.
Speaker 2: We're doing our Friday recommendations. We call this s double thumbs up, Patsy.
Speaker 1: What are you enjoying?
Speaker 5: Stranger Things? Series five?
Speaker 4: So the first part this is just such a masterpiece. How they have split it into three so.
Speaker 1: The food was still going, isn't it. I know it's the last season, but it's amazing.
Speaker 4: So the first four episodes have dropped on Netflix. With ripped through those, the next installment is I Believe is it Christmas Eve?
Speaker 5: And then All New Year's Eve is the.
Speaker 1: Ever?
Speaker 4: So there was nine EPs I think in the last series, so I'm not sure how they're going to break it up, but I can't wait.
Speaker 2: That's not worry about the scheduling, shel we No, I'm getting confused. I can air traffic controlers. So they're doing the three on the fence carry over the nine.
Speaker 4: But I think it's so clever of them to do that, And I wonder if anyone else in future, you know, series that come out do that, because it's almost makes it even more sort of salivating over it because you know, Okay, we've got this little lot and you have something to look forward to.
Speaker 2: You know, because now we just we just smashed the show. Yeah, in two days. I did last summer, I say it, and I miss it. Now I'm almost angering myself. What do you do that for?
Speaker 1: You feel sick a bit so much Samurai.
Speaker 5: Action, but this is even scarier.
Speaker 4: I reckon even Gooria, but not sort of gratuitously. So it's it's brilliant and it's we loved it, Audrey, all three of us.
Speaker 5: It's one of those shows that all three.
Speaker 2: Of us can we all watched as a family in the earliest seasons. It got us through COVID actually, yeah, because it's on during that. To me, I've got like PTSD reminds locked down, I'm not watching a TV on a Sunday to see what Dan's saying.
Speaker 1: One person is ill and the kids, but how old must they be?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: They like they.
Speaker 5: Are older and they do look.
Speaker 1: Older many Bobby Brown's married.
Speaker 2: Yes, the kid John bon Jovist, I know, and old what's his name?
Speaker 1: Papa did the ceremony.
Speaker 4: But the creators, the Duffer Brothers, there's a beautiful side story in that they have in this series created a role based on their old drama teacher. Oh cool, missus Harris, because it's like a tribute to her, because apparently she was their main driver in following their dreams and they were picked on a lot at school and she you know, you've got that one teacher that you can confide.
Speaker 5: In, champion teacher.
Speaker 4: Anyway, she led them to quit their small town move to LA and think maybe we've actually got a future in screenwriting. So they've paid homage to her in this it's an actor who plays a kindergarten teacher, but it's based on their drama teacher, which I think is really sweet aside from all the dimmer organs. But yeah, on Netflix season five, it's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Those biggest TV show now that is Stranger Things.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: We're doing double thumbs up our recommendations. Rea, what's yours this week?
Speaker 6: All right, I got a sexy one, I got a nerdy one.
Speaker 1: Wow, combine them.
Speaker 6: I'll start with the sexy one. It's maybe my algorithm is very different to your guys, but mine. This show has been everywhere, so I finally gave in and watched it. It's called Heated Rivalry on HBO Max. It is steamy. It is about two professional ice hockey players who are rivals, enemies. Imagine like Decos Patty Cribs. But they fall in love.
Speaker 2: Than that, but they fall They have this sordid affair.
Speaker 6: They fall in love and it is I mean, watch the first episode within fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Get the kids out of the room because it is. It's a spicy taking those big gloves off. The gloves are off very much. But it's brilliant.
Speaker 6: It's actually very war It's got I don't know if you guys have seen Heartbreaker before. It's got a little bit of that heart and love. It's really really sweet.
Speaker 1: Said Rivalry.
Speaker 6: Yes, not one for the kids, but one for the adults and one for the kids, one for smart kids or dumb adults like me. It's called mirk Roper's crunch Labs. He's a huge YouTuber and he's kind of like, I guess, like a modern day myth Busters myth Busters sort of guy. And he does all these awesome science experiments. I'm not personally like a huge science person. I don't know much about it.
Speaker 1: The biggest nerd I know.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 1: No, No, what are you watching that TV show for? And so it's your favorite one in the world. You need to come out of the closet.
Speaker 5: Golden Boy for nothing else.
Speaker 2: School mister, school cat you smell nerd?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why so shy?
Speaker 6: It's it's actually I've actually learned a lot. There's a great episode.
Speaker 1: Because you're hanging out with your people. No, No, probably experiment.
Speaker 2: You've probably got one of the bedrooms in a new place as a lab now remained of it because that you come home found you trying.
Speaker 6: If you're going to watch one episode, watch the one where the octopus goes through a maze.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: It will honestly blow your mind.
Speaker 1: You watch watch Davis.
Speaker 6: Smart Where are their brains? How are they doing it?
Speaker 1: How did they figure it out? Last Samurai standing Alex, what are you giving the double thumbs up to? Oh my goodness, I got a real Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: Yes, how the whole house smells of it. Sure you get in there. It's great, that fresh smell. It smells of Christmas. Beautiful.
Speaker 7: So this lovely place. It's on Ferra's Road, South Melbourne, real Christmas trees.
Speaker 1: I got to pop up there.
Speaker 7: I went and saw Darcy and he sorted me out for yeah, fair chunk of money.
Speaker 2: I got to say, they're not cheat and plus you got like some of them are like three foot four foot, five foot six foot, Yeah.
Speaker 1: What fae did you get?
Speaker 7: I got the small one, which was sort of a little bit shorter than me. I'm about six foots so not that big. But the larger ones you're looking at. One hundred and seventy five two hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Is what you call South Melbourne money, and I think you you can't went over that West Gate you get one four ten bucks, probably just stolen from some bucks.
Speaker 7: It was one of those moments I thought he said fifty dollars and when.
Speaker 1: Again enough money on me, happ and go i't got fun and I went to pay, and I'm like, I saw it, so it's one hundred and fifty. It gives, yeah, hundred and fifty. That's what I thought you said. Yeah, big difference, So fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: The Christian o'connall Show podcast