Speaker 1: Today, I am back with Neo Applan, Inventium's Genai expert to help unpack a very cool concept that he recently shared with me. It's about gunslinging versus architecting, and it's all about how you work with AI. So if you have ever found yourself wrestling with chat, GPT or one of the other jenai is to get it just right, then this episode is for you. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. Two years ago, I completely overhauled how I work with Genai and I'm now saving over forty hours every single week. That is no exaggeration, and that's exactly why my company, Inventium created the Genai Productivity Upgrade. It's a twelve week course designed to move you from AI doubler to productivity machine. No fluff, just practical strategies that will pay off from week one, saving you at least ten hours every single week. You'll learn how to make AI sound exactly like you use AI as your second brain to excel at your job, and so much more. Whether you're a complete beginner or already dabbling. We've got you covered, starting with prompting fundamentals and going all the way through to advanced automations and agentic AI. We kick off on July fourteen, and spots are limited. Visit inventium dot com, dot au, forward slash Jenai hyphen cohort to secure your place now, there's a link to that in the show notes, and you've got nothing to lose because there's a seven day money back guarantee, So head to the link in the show notes and check out the program today. So, Neo, you say that most people are gunslingers when they prompt Jenai, Can you tell me what you mean by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a metaphor. It's not a technical term. It's how some people work with jen Ai. It's effectively, get a decent enough prompt, shoot from the hip and hope and pray that it's going to go pretty well. Just as gun slinging isn't the most accurate way that you can hit a target, same thing with prompting gun slinging, where you've got a pretty average prompt, you've shot it out there, chances are it won't hit the bull's eye every time. And so what you're finding is you then have to have a discussion with the AI to improve the output. I mean a little bit more of this, a little less so that it can go from a discussion to feeling very much like a debate and argument with AI to get what you're really after. So the first prompt might be fast, but then the cleaning up is a very long task and can get frustrating after time, lots of back and forth refining, so it can be time consuming and inefficient if you're doing anything beyond kind of basic prompting or basic tasks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then there is what you call architect What does that look like instead.
Speaker 2: Well, instead of shooting from the hip, it's much more deliberate, it's much more collaborative with the AI, and it's more likely to get you a great result and certainly faster than gunslinging. And that there's a lot less refinement and a lot less arguing with AI. So what you do is, first off, you need to agree with AI and what your goals are. Now, notice I say to agree, So you need to say, here's what my goals are, and you need to make sure that AI understands those goals. So here's what I'm trying to achieve. Then you also work with it on things like best practice or structure or all those kind of things before it starts writing anything else. So it's effectively you're working with it as a planning partner and getting it to challenge your ideas, getting it to challenge its own ideas, so it knows the structure, what you're trying to achieve, what best practice is, before you get it to write the thing. So it's almost like designing a house before you build it. You don't want to just build a house first. You want to design it first, and then when it's already designed, then you go and get the builders to come on and to build the thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm obviously not going to use architecting when I'm writing a simple email. So I'm wondering what are the kinds of tasks that architecting is best suited for.
Speaker 2: Anything it's complex or that you need to get a great result at where good enough isn't isn't enough, isn't good enough? You need to get something it's excellent. So things like if you're working on a strategy paper or training sessions or workshop design or any kind of report or analysis and all those kind of things, something where you need to make sure that it's grounding it in background and science and industry best practices and things like that, where you want to get a great result, This is where I would use architecting. So if you need a structured output or some thinking through it, it's really good for that. So if you wanted to have something which is average or it's quick, fine, gunsling, like if I'm doing emails off gunsling thing is fine. But if I want to get a document or a structure, or I want to, as I said, a team workshop. If I want a great team workshop, then why don't I get architecting to help me to build something even better. It works great with all the different ais, I should say, but in some of them it works better. So copilot architecting is brilliant. It does such a much better job than just average copilot gun slinging.
Speaker 1: And if I'm using chat ept, as I know a lot of listeners do, should I be choosing one of their logic models for this or any models? Fine?
Speaker 2: Yes, the logic models, and these are the ones that start in O so three to four, etc. The logic models are excellent for these kind of things. But they do a better job when you do architecting, because what you're still doing is you're working with the GENAI on what the goals are and things like best practice rather than letting it think. You're working with the GENAI to be able to architect this together, and those logic models do give you a better result. So yeah, do use the architecting, and those models you over next level the result.
Speaker 1: So NIO, I would love you to walk me through an example, like, let's just say I don't know you're designing a team building session for a client off site or maybe your own team's off site. How would you use architecting to go through that task?
Speaker 2: I would first start with the context, So here, I'm planning on building a team off site, and I'd like to build a structure with you. Tell it what your goals are. After that, I'd get it to ask itself what best practice is? Are there ways that I can achieve this goal even better? Get it to even review its own work to see whether it can improve it. What's the science behind team performance? All those kind of things to get it to think through all the best practice paths on how to build a great team workshop, I might work with it on say, structure, how would I structure these kind of things? What kind of activities would work. I'm not getting it to build the workshop or even the final output yet. I'm getting it to work through best practice, how it aligns with my goals? Are there better ways to do it? All those kind of things. Once I'm comfortable it's nailed what I'm trying to achieve, it understands best practice, it's refined as much as I think it needs to, then I'll go, Okay, let's build these things together. Then it will go through and actually build me a workshop, and it will say how and Wyatt's built the workshop for that best practice and how it will deliver to what I'm trying to achieve with those goals.
Speaker 1: And then I imagine you could break it down even further to go, okay, can we work on the morning segment first? And then let's work on the segment that is just before lunch and so on and so forth, as opposed to okay, build out the full agenda is Have I got my thinking right on that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah? And this is really good for you. You've got a big document, say I'd be working on it with the goals the strategies what you need to do in the document, and then once you're comfortable with we'll call it like index or a table of contents, then you'd build out chapter by chapter, section by section, and that's much better to do it that way. That way it will give you a better result and it won't go off track at all. So yes, structure first and then section by section is the best way to architect and best way to get the results.
Speaker 1: Neo, thank you so much for coming on again. I know that we have recently in our own GENAI workshops been talking about these terms architecting and gunslinging, and I feel like there is that aha moment when people start to actually put this into action. So if this is resonated with you, I strongly recommend give architecting a go today when you are working with the AI to work on a complex task. If you like today's Joe, make sure you hit follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the Cooler Nation. A big thank you to Martin Nimber for doing this sound mix