Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Every week on the show, we do something called the Wonder Year, when we go back to a year from the nineties or the eighties and we talk about what we were doing in that year, and also we talk about the movies and TV shows of that year. This week, we're taking you too, nineteen eighty eight, Patsy nineteen eighty eight. What was that for you?
Speaker 3: I was sixteen and in year ten and I was about to make my debut on Ball. Oh cool?
Speaker 2: What do you remember of it?
Speaker 3: I remember a lot. Actually, I remember the build up in getting the dress. I remember I wanted. It was the same year that Scott and Charlayne got married on Neighbors.
Speaker 2: Oh huge. I would have been watching that. In UK. Twenty million of us watched the wedding Jason Donovan and kindly went over. It's huge in the UK still is Neighbors.
Speaker 3: I loved her dress and would you believe Mum let me try it on? But it was like mega expensive and we couldn't afford that.
Speaker 4: Did she let you try on the same dress?
Speaker 3: Now, No, not the actual but the same actual design.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I wasn't game enough to ask any of the boys at school to partner me for my dear because all the spunky ones were already snapped up earlier in the year.
Speaker 2: Using the words of thees.
Speaker 3: So I thought I asked a cousin, a first cousin of mine, which is a bit in bread, isn't it. It's a part for me because I knew he wouldn't let me down or be a twit on the night. Yeah, but cousin, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Did he bring his banjo? What do you get him out of a rock and chair? Out of the old front stoop? Some buck eyed? Didn't bread? You can't be asking you.
Speaker 3: To share the same surname.
Speaker 4: No one wants that is not the role.
Speaker 2: But we share the same bed. No, it's not like that.
Speaker 1: Oh my word, I don't want to know any more about I do. We're not going anywhere, so take us through there. So old cousin Billy was all Paul, poor old cousin Paul. Oh yeah, the first name. Everything's so different yet familiar.
Speaker 4: We had a practice, we had like twelve weeks twelve weeks of rehearsals to learn how to ballroom dance and is that?
Speaker 2: What is that what people did for the balls?
Speaker 3: Ye, they still do them. They're very big in Victoria, right, Yes, skatillions they call them in the US. Do not have it in the UK.
Speaker 2: No, nice at all.
Speaker 1: No, very miserable people, to be honest.
Speaker 3: The original you know, coming out of society back in the day society. This is my first cousin.
Speaker 1: There's nothing more coming out of society.
Speaker 2: No, we don't have him. Breeding were quite sort of hot on that really, don't tell any of that. So you and your cousin, he went with you in like a limousine. What happened door? He picking up in a ute?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I met him, mayor I meet him. Theyre but we had rehearsals for twelve weeks on a Sunday afternoon, thank you. And I used to meet him there and we made the dip ball was organized by my dad's Masonic lodge in the town we grew up in. And there was about fifteen kids, some of the girls from schools, others just from sporting groups that we knew. And it was fun.
Speaker 1: It was just absolutely dressed up and have anybody else turned up?
Speaker 3: No they did not.
Speaker 2: Oh well I didn't know what we were going to be getting into that I did have something to say about what nineteen eighty was. I just need to take a moment.
Speaker 3: Well. Christian O'Connell Show podcast