Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that lets you me pervy about other people's money habits educational purposes of course. Welcome back to another one of our money days where I get the absolute privilege of sitting down and talking to one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it today, because I got a message this week and it sounded exactly like this, Dear She's on the Money. I moved to Melbourne alone to start my dream job in twenty twenty, during the peak of COVID lockdowns. I've gone from spending and barely scraping by to owning property with the love of my life, an eighty thousand dollars super balance and investing regularly. But I'm currently struggling with the weight of an inheritance that I unfortunately received from my late father, and I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing with it to honor his memory. Money Darist, welcome to the show so much. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited to have you here. As always, I'm going to ask the first cab off the rank, if I asked you to give your money habits a grade from A three to F, what would your money habit grade be?
Speaker 4: I would say being minus. At the moment, I do think I have great concrete habits. But you know, with my ADHD in my figure fullness, the ADHD tax is real.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. We were talking about this before we started recording, and I think we're on the same page, which I think is going to mean that this episode is one going to be really fun to listen to. Also, if we go off track, that's not our fault, that's not our fault, Like we're trying our best here, guys. That's why I have a producer watching everything I do to make sure that I don't go off track. Money diarist, I feel like this is such a good money story to share, like COVID lockdowns to meeting the love of your life, and then in the mix of that, going what the hell do I do with an inheritance? Because that is a very heavy weight to carry, right, So can you dive in and tell us a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 4: So, my attitude towards money and my money's has definitely evolved and changed over time. Growing up, money wasn't really spoken about much at home. We never went without. I come from a really big family. I have three siblings, and now I look at how expensive life is, and I can't imagine how my parents did it, you know, on the money that they were earning back then, and you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how anyone's doing it even these days, Like can you imagine having four kids? Lordie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I don't know how they did it. And yeah, I don't know how people are doing it now, because it's obviously much worse than how it was back then. My Mum was a big spender and still is. Some of my first memories with her I was going to local shopping centers on Sunday morning and going close shopping. We always went on holidays as families and played lots of sport, but at times, I know it wasn't easy for my parents. It was a lot of credit card usage and things that went under the rug to make sure that us kids kind of didn't know that there were issues with money, which I don't know if I look back at that now and think of it in a positive or a.
Speaker 2: Negative light, I don't know what. I think. That's sweet. I'm not saying that that's the right thing, because we obviously want to try and be transparent, but like, they were just trying to give you the best childhood, and that's so sweet, and they were.
Speaker 4: Definitely trying to protect us, and you know, I didn't really know until I was old enough to understand, which is a good thing, I think.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just find it really sweet, especially when you're like, oh, actually, oh, Mum and dad, thanks, but also sorry.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, So I've been working in the public service since I was eighteen. I deferred from a UNI degree because I didn't know if it was right for me. I haven't gone back to UNI since I'm now twenty six and I still haven't gone back to UNI. And you know what, I'm happy what I'm doing at the moment, which is great. My first government job I didn't really love. It was more adamin based in the state government caught permanency at nineteen and then I struggled with death facework due to my ADHD, so it was looking for something more operational and community focused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're actually like out with people as opposed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and actually like communicating with people out in a field. And then I applied when I was nineteen years old for the job that i'm in now that i've been in.
Speaker 2: Oh, you've had that for a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I moved to Melbourne in twenty twenty during lockdown from South Australia for this job and I've been in that job ever since.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. All right, So let's get a little bit further into it, because you mentioned obviously dream job. Great, you moved in the peak of COVID. What was that like, because like moving during COVID, I feel like that would have sucked terrifying.
Speaker 4: So I was twenty one. I'd never lived out of home. I could barely cook. I was calling mom and dad all the time with you know, just some help.
Speaker 2: How do I cook eggs?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Pretty much. And yeah, I didn't know anyone when I first moved here. I moved in April, so it was just before the big lockdowns happened. But you know, I walked into my first day of work and three weeks later started talking to my fellow coworker who I now live with, play a.
Speaker 2: Little office romance.
Speaker 4: And he moved from into state as well, So I think we were both really connected during that period of time and really looked after each other during COVID and things like that. I don't know if I would have been able to do it without him.
Speaker 2: So, oh my god, it's funny how people find each other. I love that so much. So all of that happened, and now you own a property with him, Like that's zero to five thousand, Like I've moved to Melbourne also now I live here forever. Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then in twenty twenty two, my dad got diagnosed with terminal lung and brain cancer.
Speaker 2: Oh far rout, that's so shit, Like there's just no words when that tell me about your dad?
Speaker 4: Though he was the careless man alive. He loved a beer, he loved the footy, he loved the part. He's just your superent boy's boy. He is a boy's boy. But he did love having his only girl, which is me. He was just the life of the party up until the day he died, so much so that his wake was actually more of a party than anything else.
Speaker 2: How he would have wand it we would have loved that. How good is that? So tell me more all about that, because that's shit, Like, there's no other like words for that. But he got diagnosed with terminal brain and lung cancer. And what happens from then? Like was that a that came out of the blue or was that something that you know he'd been struggling with for a while and it wasn't terminal, Like what did that journey look like?
Speaker 4: I'm completely out of the blue. We it just went from zero to one hundred. And you know, we got told it's not if it's when, so pretty much straight away we did get a terminal diagnosis, so we didn't know, you know, how much time we were going to have with him. I'm obviously living in Victoria. My family live into state, so trying to navigate that work wise was really difficult. But luckily, working for the federal government, I did get a compassionate transfer, so I was able to transfer back to my home state for a period of time to be there to support my mum and also to support my dad with his treatment as well. So I'm really grateful that I was able to do that. But yeah, it's we're navigating like no normal without having him around.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's really trash. I'm so sorry, but it sounds like, oh my gosh, Like if something ever happened to me, I would hope that my kids talk about me in the same way you're talking about your dad. Like that is you know when you just go, oh, tell me about your dad, Like what was he like, and you're like, oh, he was the coolest man alive, Like that is the moment, Like that is the energy. And like I love in your letter you wrote in and you said, you know, I've got this inheritance and it's a really heavyweight, but I want to like honor his memory with it, and like, from my perspective as somebody who really focused on inheritances, when I was, you know, working as a financial advisor. That was something that I was like, let's do something that makes them proud, like, especially if you've got that positive relationship, Like how can we happy here now? And that's really shit and I wish I could change that and we would give all this money back of course, just swap it, but we can't. So now, how is he looking after you? Now he can't be here? How do we do that?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Talk me through getting an inheritance? Like is this something that you know your dad was diagnosed? Were you talking about this with him? Was this a surprise after he passed away? How did this work?
Speaker 4: I think that we already knew that we were going to be receiving inheritance from a property that was being sold that was in my father's name. So and my mom was very transparent with us kids, saying like obviously letting us know that money would go to us. So obviously my mom and my siblings who lived back home, were you know, getting the house ready for sale after my dad passed away, and then it sold and we just waited for all the legal stuff. But it was kind of something I knew, but I didn't really know. Again, like how much it would be or when I would receive it. And you know, my partner and I really wanted to get into our first property because I kept going up and up and up, So I was kind of originally holding off to wait and see what money I would get to use that towards the house, but we ended up buying property without it simply because of the fact I didn't know how much I was going to get or when I was going to get it all. So, yeah, it was expecting something, but I didn't really know the ins and outs of it until after my dad did pass away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And it's always such like I love having I don't love but I love the idea that you could have had conversations with him, but they're also just so awkward and you don't want to be spending your time platting with him about that when you could be chatting about memories and like, you know, tell me all this other stuff. Dad someone that.
Speaker 4: Had terminal cancer light he didn't think his time was up until this time was actually up, which I kind of love that about him because he kind.
Speaker 2: Of always like, nah, they're gas lighting me now.
Speaker 4: He even died two weeks later than they said he would, and he was like, you know what, I'm going to push out another two.
Speaker 2: He's like, nah, he had a point to prove. I like the man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So he just like I think until the day he died, he probably thought he was going to beat it, which you know what, I actually I love that kind of attitude that he always had towards his cancer. Like my dad would complain about the smallest of things, but when he got sick, he never complained about anything.
Speaker 2: Oh what am I con So tell me a little bit more. So we've got this inheritance and we'll get back onto that in a hot minute. But like, you've recently bought your like first home with the love of your life, which is very cool, and you have a very good superbalance. You said you had an eighty thousand dollars super balance. But like, what are your big money goals? Because for most people your age, like you're just a baby to me, you're twenty six, most people aren't buying their first home till thirty six. Like, what's your big money goal now?
Speaker 4: So I would say that my money goals actually changed since my dad has passed away. So my old long term money goal was probably by now to have like a second property or really focused on my shares portfolio and try and invest more. But now after my dad's passed away, my money goal is to travel the world. So since passing my dad passed away in twenty three, I've been on four overseas trips and I have another three goal this year, including a two month Europe trip this year. So and then, like I guess, a long term money goal for me now would be to do a three to six month trip in either South America or Southeast Asia in twenty six or twenty twenty seven. So I think now that we're stable in the sense of property and that I do have an investment portfolio that I am probably not pushing into as much as I was previously. But I think right now, like my dad didn't get to retire, he was medically retired due to his cancer, So I think for me, it's like one of those things that people wait to retire to travel. And obviously this is grateful that I'm in the position that I'm in that I'm able to, you know, take time orf work and travel overseas for extended periods of time. But while I am able bodied and while I am young, I want to try and do as much trouble as I possibly can, so whilst holding it on my job because I love my job.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I love that. I feel, like I have said so many times on the podcast and in my personal life, old age is a privilege denied to many. Yes, it is something that you know. I'm always talking to my parents about it. I'm like, nah, we live in life now that like, we live in life now. Like It's why I also don't subscribe on the flip side to like, you know how there's lots of people who are like financial independence, we're early rarah, Like no, sorry, we have to enjoy the journey. Like I've had too many people around me who haven't been able to enjoy that journey because they've been like saving for retirement and then unfortunately retirement didn't come. And it's a really trashy lesson that you've had to learn, right, Like you had to go through literally the worst experience I'm assuming of your entire life to learn. Actually, I don't want to buy a second property. I want to enjoy the journey. But what a gift, cheers Dad, Yeah, he'd be so proud, right, Like, imagine if he could like just have a little check in and be like, I wonder what money Dirist is up to, he'd be like, oh, she do be slaying life. He would be so proud. He'd be drinking beers. He's definitely drinking beers watching he is.
Speaker 4: And there's so many places in the world that he didn't get to go to and things that he didn't want to do. So I kind of want to do that now for him as well. So you know, there's so many places and so many things that he missed out on saying that, Like I don't know, I just want to see it in my own eyes and see what he missed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. All right, let's go to a really quick break because I still have a lot of questions, and on the flip side, I want to get more into exactly what your inheritance is, what investments you have, what your thoughts on debts are, and I think you might have some good and bad money habits to share, So guys don't go anywhere, all right, money direst We are back, and I want to talk about investing. So you said in your letter email message whatever, we're going to call it in. You've got eighty grand of super sis. Just a quick reminder, you're twenty six. That's actually a lot of money. So I'm going to need some holes I think filled in. How do you get eighty grand in your super by the time you're twenty six.
Speaker 4: So I've been working as a public servant, as I said before, since I was eighteen years old. In my public service job, we do get a super fifteen point four percent on top of our salary.
Speaker 2: We very nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I have obviously worked with a lot of old time public servants since you're the public service, and the one thing that they all love is super. Public servants are obsessed with super. So when I was eighteen and I first joined, somebody said to me, just put fifteen or twenty dollars into your super per pey, and then when you get a promotion, put a little bit more. And then when you get another promotion, put a little bit more.
Speaker 2: And you're like, yeah, okay, no worries. Thanks for that advice, because now I've taken it and I look incredible. I've put on some maths, so, like, just to give a little bit of context for those following along. If you're twenty six lack our money diarist, and you're thinking, I don't have eighty grand. Maybe that's because you're like, probably not meant to have that much. In fact, the average superannuation balance for women between the ages of twenty five and twenty nine is actually twenty three thousand dollars and for men it's twenty five thousand, four hundred. But money direst I don't know if you've done this, but I love a compound interest calculator. I have eighty thousand dollars in retirement, Like if you retired in thirty years, that's one point three million dollars, and you are still actively consistently contributing, like you're gonna be fine and you're going to travel the world. So I love this.
Speaker 4: I do make extra contributions now still though, so currently I do one hundred and twenty or four nights, so it's not a huge amount, but it's obviously combounded so much over the how long I've I've been in the public service for eight years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wild. I love it. I love the prioritizing that because it's just setting yourself up for success so that right now you can enjoy the journey, but also the journey isn't going to have to end when you stop working. Tell me about other investments. So you're obviously making extra contributions to your super but are you investing in any other way?
Speaker 4: Yes, So I currently do have some fun shares as I call them with shares's, so it's just mixed bags of companies. I guess it's things that I per shouldn't listen to other people all the time, but you know, little things that other people have told me to buy, or stuff that I've just been kind of interested with. So I currently have it's about true grand in total with Telshop, Bank, West Farmers and Sigma Health, which I bought really cheap, which very lucky.
Speaker 2: So you're like, oh, I probably shouldn't listen to anybody, but you just listed off like four blue chip stocks that are quite popular in Australia, so like you're not doing badly, Like I don't know who you've been listening to, but they know what they're talking about, I think.
Speaker 4: And then I also have sixteen thousand in the Vanguard Australian Shares. How you're on ETF, so I've been putting into that since COVID.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm obsessed. You're doing so well.
Speaker 4: I was investing a lot more aggressively. But now as my life's changed and I've got a mortgage now, and you know, I guess my priorities have changed. I try and put about one thousand in every three months or so. And as a shift worker, like when I get a big pay with penalties like Easter to pay, Christmas Dale work Sundays and stuff like that, I try and put that towards my investing.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed. This is so so good. So tell me a little bit more. I'm going to get pervy. Now you are trying to figure out what you do with an inheritance from your dad. How much was that inheritance? And like where is your like struggle is it because you're like, oh, I don't know if I should spend it on travel or in the sort of like talk to me about this.
Speaker 4: So I received one hundred and thirty five thousand dollars in inheritance from my father when he passed away.
Speaker 2: It's that you're looking up for me and.
Speaker 4: I haven't spent a cent and I received this money almost a year ago.
Speaker 2: So where is it sitting right now? Is it a high indred savings account.
Speaker 4: In a high interest savings account. It's currently sitting with four point nine percent. I know that there's probably better ways to utilize it, but I think because I got a different bank account to put it in there and I haven't touched yet, I feel really funny about it. I guess it's just and everyone's different. Like all my siblings and my mom, they've all spent money, they're fine, my brother started a business, and like, there's so many amazing things that are happening with my family with that money. But I guess just the way I viewed it in comparison to my family has been very different. And obviously I'm in a privileged position where I don't really need to spend that money right now. But I guess I don't want to diss on my dad or do anything with it that I feel like he wouldn't like, because at the end of the day, he worked his entire life for that money and he wasn't able to spend.
Speaker 2: It one hundred percent. I need to know more about your dad. Let's go back. If your dad and you sat down and had a conversation and you said, Dad, you've given me one hundred and thirty five grand, Like, that's wild. What would you want me to do with it? What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: He would say, set yourself up and travel.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what would that look like? Because I feel like you're already on the path for doing that. So what do you reckon?
Speaker 1: He like?
Speaker 2: Is he a property man? Is he a shares man? Is he a just blow it all on travel man?
Speaker 4: Like he is a blow it all fun kind of man.
Speaker 2: I like that, So like we can kind of not go wrong when it comes to making decisions, because like, what if we invested that amount? And I know that that's a very hard decision to make, and it's definitely not one especially on one hundred thousand dollars as an initial deposit you should be making on your own, and I think you maybe should get advice. But also you're already investing in ETFs through Vanguard, Like it could be doing a lot for you, because that one thirty five by retirement's worth what close to two point five million dollars if we invest it well, and to honor our dad, I think we should be looking at what we can do with those funds on a consistent basis. So like let's zoom out for a hot second. Talk to me about life, like you want to travel. You are just a baby because like to me, anyone under the age of thirty is still actually a teenager. And I'm pretty sure there's COVID tax right, So like any age you grew during COVID doesn't exist anymore. So you said you moved during twenty twenty lockdown and you were like twenty one. Baby's still twenty one. It's fine. So tell me about what the rest of your life looks like. You've got this very She showed me a photo of her. Was it fiance? No, not yet, not yet, but he looks like you could be a fiance. Well, I hope, so one day is that something that we want to achieve? Like, talk to me about what life looks like in the next ten year.
Speaker 4: So I don't think children is going to be in the picture across just a personal thing. We both have big families and can't wait to be fun. Auntie uncle which over the black good bring little gifts home to our nieces and nephews, and we've always spoken about that. I think housewise, we love our little home. It's easy to clean, easy to maintain, it's in a great location. Like, I don't feel like we need anything bigger. I think for us it would just be to try and maintain our good dinners, nice cocktails.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for you. Like, don't get me wrong, I adore being a mum, like I was born to be a mum. But not everybody wants that. The fact that you have the let's call it financial freedom right now to go. I don't want that so any money I earn right now. I'm not thinking about school fees. I'm not thinking about child ring. I don't need to know about this new like getting the bin, Like I don't care. You can come to brunch with me, you can drink the mimosa. I'll tell you about my lack of sleep, and you can empathize with me and then go on a holiday the next week. I love that for you. So, like, maybe we need to look at this inheritance that's making sure that you can continue that lifestyle. Yes, so if we're investing it in a way that it has some great returns, that we can then use those returns to live our life and still go out for really good dinners. How good's are dinner's on Dad? For life like that, but like explain it that way, right, Like if we can reframe it in a way where it goes Dad's always going to cop our holidays. He would be so proud.
Speaker 4: You'd love it. He'd be so jealous.
Speaker 2: That's taking us to Bali, Dad, You're taking us to Asia? Like he would love that because you know what. I know you're saying he worked his entire life for that money, and he did, but now you know what, he can't be here to enjoy it. The idea that one of his kids, his only daughter, is going to get set up to live her best life because he worked so hard. That's why he did that. Yeah, that's why he did that. It wasn't so that you can have it inner savings account and go I don't want to touch it. I know this man well enough now from this conversation over a beer, be like, oh, she's just not doing anything with it.
Speaker 4: So would he was not.
Speaker 2: Doing anything with it? Like why'd I give her that? So we need to take action, But also we don't want to take action so quick that we feel uncomfortable, Like maybe you can sit on that money and not touch it for another five years for all I care but what we want to do is get really comfortable with that money. Because right now you're telling me that you're uncomfortable with it. That is okay, that is so fine, But we need to you know, think about it and maybe even journal a little about it, Like I want you to write down why you're so uncomfortable, Like I get not wanting to make the wrong decision, Like I don't want to make the wrong decision either, because that would be heartbreaking, Like you know, I don't want to extrapolate it out, but like imagine all of that. Then you make the wrong decision, then you're going to be feeling trash because you're like, well that was my dad's Like that wasn't just I saved for my house and lost some of it. It's more meaningful than that. So maybe we do need to get advice on this. So I'm super excited about the journey and any good financial advisor, and I can set you up with one if you want. Any good advisor is not going to pressure you, like they're going to go in your own time. What else do you need? Like, how else can I support you so that you're ready, so that you get to a point where you're like why haven't we invested this yet? Or why haven't we done that thing that we keep talking about. That's the point that I want you at so that you're pushing your advisor. Not your advisor is like money, dost we have to invest right now, like you're going to move an opportunity. Any advisor who says that in the bin, it's graight in the bin.
Speaker 4: Like I want to feel excited about honoring him and using that money. Ba at the moment, I just don't have that level of confidence with it yet.
Speaker 2: No, And like I think that is around education and sitting with it for a little bit, because like, let's be honest, like it wasn't that long ago. No, Like you haven't had the money that long. I think it's really about just sitting with it and thinking about the lifestyle that you want to create. If we can get you excited about that and facilitating that. I think that really ties in to the I think we really are honoring this man, like that's pretty cool, and like maybe you could even have like a little habit or a little like nod to him every time you go on a holiday where it's like, all right, well we have to have the first beer at the bar for him or something along those lines, which is just both sweet.
Speaker 4: I really liked that.
Speaker 2: How do we intertwine him into your life so that you go, nah, I really am honoring this. I am making the most of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, that sounds mazey.
Speaker 2: So on the flip side, you have a mortgage already because you've worked your butt off with your partner. Tell me about how much debt you're in.
Speaker 4: So, our mortgage is currently sitting at four hundred and ninety thousand. We paid five hundred and fifty thousand dollars for our property and we currently have fifty one and seventy nine dollars in the offset of the home loan.
Speaker 2: Excuse me? What look at you guys? Go? So take me back. How much money are you earning?
Speaker 4: So? I currently my base salary is eighty one thousand, six hundred dollars. However, with the nature of my work allowances I receive for different skills and training I have and shift work including some weekend and interstate trouble, I'm calculated to make one hundred and ten thousand this financial year.
Speaker 2: Okay, baby, queen? Yeah, no, wonder You're like, I don't need to go to UNI, Like, what are you going to UNI for? Like, that's a good deal, now, would it be corrected me to assume that your partner's on something similar because you said you made it work.
Speaker 4: Yes, so my partner works in a government role as well, similar organization. However, he works away month or month off. Yeah, okay, which is great for our travel because you don't have to take annually for us to go overseas. How Yeah, and his base rage is seventy five thousand, but he makes between one hundred and twenty and one hundred and thirty with his penalties.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we've got a really nice we'd double income, no kids, household. We're ADNK square deep. I love that you're like the like icon dink too, because like some dinks don't have heaps and heaps of cash, but these ones, these ones are going to be really rich guys. So I loved this for you. So tell me a little bit more about the plan to get rid of debt, Like are you just paying it off and like slowly slowly because you want to invest because like obviously you've got your fun shares, You've got your Vanguard ETF, you've got your super like, what's the plan around debt reduction.
Speaker 4: I think at the moment we're kind of just chipping away because we have other things in the works that we're saving towards, like figure of trip this year, and I've got a couple of other smaller trips planned, like with friends earlier this year as well. But our interest rate did go down, and we've kept paying the same amount, plus obviously having the fifty one thousand, and then the offset is offsetting the mortgage a bit, and we're paying our minimum repayments still and we pay fortnightly and try and do those type of things to just chip away at that little bit quicker.
Speaker 2: Yes, smart, And did your interest rate go down because you're broken negotiated it or was it just one of those automatic bank ones?
Speaker 4: This was one of the automatic bank ones.
Speaker 2: Yet sexy though that it's nice that they just pass it on and you don't even have to lift a finger. Now, I feel like you've got some good and maybe some naughty money habits, but like you've earned them, like you've got good income. Talk to me about what you think your best money habit is.
Speaker 4: My best money habit would be If I want something, I'll do whatever I can to work towards achieving it. I think I struggle when I don't have a clear goal, But if I do have a clear goal, I do become a bit obsessed with it and lock in. Like this Europe trip coming up this year, I'd said to myself, And when I have fifteen thousand dollars for the Europe trip saved by August and we're sitting at in middle of April at the moment and I have thirteen and a half thousand.
Speaker 2: Saved, Oh okay, you're like really on track.
Speaker 4: So when I really really want something, I feel like I do whatever I can. I think it's probably my eighth year as well. Like I get obsessed and hyperfixated, and then I guess. The other really great money habit that I have is we love going out to eat. We love going out for drinks, so we use like a lot of eat Club and First Table.
Speaker 2: I was talking about these today with my team. They're good.
Speaker 4: Hey, all of those things to get you know, cheaper meals. Like well, if I have to go to dinner at six instead of seven and I'm paying fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Off, I don't care, and you're going home and you're getting in bed and reading your book early, like exactly say Less, like I feel like COVID Really it didn't do it so dirty, Like obviously I didn't love COVID, but it really did teach me that I actually do like being at home, Like I like going out, but I don't want an eight pm dinner booking oh six.
Speaker 4: Pm dinner and like two cocktails after bed.
Speaker 2: By nine pm, you're like home, You're feeling nice and warm from the two cocktails. It's eight thirty nine o'clock, we're having in everything, shower, we're going to bed. We still have a day ahead of us tomorrow. We don't need to sleep in, like say Less, that is.
Speaker 4: The dream, and I can still wake up and go to plarties in the morning without being hver.
Speaker 2: She's living her best life literally, So talk to me a little bit more about how you're able to lock in, because I think so many people with ADHD we really around goal setting and actually achieving things. What do you think of secret sources when it comes to actually being able to achieve those goals?
Speaker 4: I think if I have something already booked or planned, it's like, well, I have to do it now. So if I just say, oh, I'm going to Europe and I don't have anything planned. I don't have tickets booked or and you'll leave booked or anything like that. I probably wouldn't be able to save like that. But the day in my brain, I go, oh my god, I'm going to Europe. And then the things that I do. I put the countries that I'm going to. I'll put it on my screen saver, put it on my phone as a like on thing, put it on a vision board. I talk about it with people in this Europe trip that I've got going on.
Speaker 2: So I guess it just becomes cutting a personality, takes over my every thought.
Speaker 4: So then I have to do it.
Speaker 2: No, I like it. I am a bit the same. I need a deadline.
Speaker 4: There's no smart way about it. I just obsess.
Speaker 2: So tell me about your worst money have it.
Speaker 4: I forget to do a lot of things, so my direct debits, my money is literally everywhere still as much as it. I like, am even talking to you, like, I go, oh my gosh, I've done so much. But my money system I don't really have a plan set out. I forget to set up direct debts, I forget to cancel subscriptions shoot to my ADHD. I often end up paying for multiple streaming services at once that I forget. Two weeks ago, I sent Hello Fresh Animal Spoon to our house on the same day.
Speaker 2: Oh good, you can play them stay each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then a little drinking game up I downloaded the other day on my phone, which was free for three days.
Speaker 2: But it was only free for three days. But now you've paid for more than three days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so twenty dollars yeap. So I just feel like it's organized payoffs.
Speaker 2: So this is where kids might come in handy. So I think maybe in this case you need to have an imaginary child because then and I didn't tell you this, then you can like message the subscriber and say my kids did this, and they usually refund it.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 2: So you could have a fake kid. So maybe you do want kids after all. You know, never know fake one, no fake one. You don't have to have a real one. Like I'm never going to try and convince you otherwise, but like maybe you message them and be like, oh, my kid did it. It was not my kid, it was me. I'm my kid.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try that next time.
Speaker 2: I thing you messaged me and tell me if it worked, because almost guaranteed you'll be like, oh sorry, my kid downloaded that and I had no idea. They're like, yeah, sorry, no worries, just delete the app and then they refund you the money.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely kind.
Speaker 2: I would never I would never tell you to do that. Money diarist. At the start of this episode, I said, what do you reckon is your money score? And you said, I reckon, I'm a BNS. I don't know what's it going to take for you to get to an A plus, Like what would that involve? Because, like, girl, I don't know how to tell you this. You're twenty six, You've got so much money in super you have your first home, you have like fifty one thousand dollars sitting in an offset. You are adding more to your superranuation consistently. You were like, I have a few fun shares and I was like, oh, that makes sense, But then you dropped I've got sixteen grand in an ETF Like, what isn't a plus in your mind?
Speaker 4: I think because I'm so organized, I'm organized chaos. I think that's how I am in every aspect of my life. And I feel like that does come towards I can tell that with the way that I handle my money as well. So I think if I was more organized and I kind of knew exactly where my money was going instead of just throwing it around like I tend to do, it's worked out so far. But I don't know that's so good.
Speaker 2: I can't fault you.
Speaker 4: But I think I get really anxious over that that I know that it's organized chaos and that things aren't exactly where they maybe should be or working in the exact way to kind of like working in its best form. So I think that's why I wouldn't maybe B plus.
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon I can get you to an A plus. I'm going to set you up with a log into my money master class because that was written by an Adhd Girly for everyone, but I promised, like it's like when you look at this, you'll be like, oh that makes sense. Not only is it pretty, so you'll want to fill it in like she looks aesthetic. It has a section for everything, and then it automatically calculates everything for you. So like there's not a lot of work, but a lot of dopamine gets used in this process because like you feel like you've done a lot when you haven't done a lot, and we love that. So I'm going to give you access to that so that you can do it. But it will be able to track everything and then it will say, all right, well this amount or this percentage of your spending is going to this, this percentage your spending is going to that. It'll give you like savings trackers so you can put your holidays in, and it also get this, I've added in a mortgage repayment calculator so you can pop your mortgage in your interest rate, and then you can play around with how long it will take you to pay off if you make extra contributions or not. And it's all in the one thing. So I'm going to set you up and then I think you'll message me and be like, b I am actually a plus now, and I'll be like, I know, babe, I.
Speaker 4: Know that's amazing. I think it's just yeah, it's so overwhelming to even.
Speaker 2: Kind of it's hard. Yeah, yeah, and you just don't know where to start. If you don't know where to start, but that I think will literally also tell you which bank accounts you need, so you've already got them all set up. You could just rejig the ones you have and use them in different ways. I promise you. I think you'll be really clear on it. Anyway, That is so good. I wish we had so much more time because I have loved having this conversation. I feel like you and I are on exactly the same page. So if ever we cross paths, I think we would yap until the cows came home. But sadly we have run out of time. Money, Doris, this has been a pleasure. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and telling me a little bit about your dad, Like how good to learn about him and what he would want for you. Like, that's just really special that you've opened up and shared that journey with me. So I'm really grateful, and I know that everyone listening is going to be like, yeah, this was a really good diary, so I really appreciate it. The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, Read.
Speaker 5: The PDS, TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine