Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It's our favorite day of the week because we get to get the team together and celebrate you our incredible shoes on the Money community. Today, mister is going to be sharing our favorite money wins from the community. Miss Bech Sayed is going to be sharing herbroke tips. This week, We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about what to do when you're feeling like you're more your partner's financial manager than their teammate. And we're going to unpack something spicy that you split into our dams about this week. We're chatting about what's more important helping a friend in need or keeping their secret juicy.
Speaker 4: So cute.
Speaker 2: Before we get there, though, miss Bech sayed, how has your week been? Really nice?
Speaker 5: I moved house, we were evicted. I feel like I mentioned that.
Speaker 2: It's about to say it's a common things.
Speaker 5: It feels like it's happened a few times, but honestly, it's just the one move. Actually, yeah, it's been a long long time coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like you've just had property dramas for the last twelve months, Like yeah, it's just it's just frustrating.
Speaker 5: It's one about it was a share house like more than ten years, so the crap in this house is like outrageous. That's still a bit of a dump.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and you just know that it would have cost six billion dollars as well, like obviously when the owner bought it was four dollars. But then you just know that the property, even though it's a dank sharehouse, it's probably worth four.
Speaker 5: Meal or something, oh for sure.
Speaker 2: And You're just like, how how can I get in on this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Totally, but no, it's been really good. I moved in with our old producer.
Speaker 2: How funny?
Speaker 5: Just up the Actually yeah yeah it's been really really nice. So yeah, just been chilling.
Speaker 4: Haven't been too much.
Speaker 2: How good by what good company? I love this, I know, I feel like it's right, feels gosh. And she has her cat, got the cat, little cat.
Speaker 5: I never thought of myself as a pet owner.
Speaker 2: But Parmazan is your house.
Speaker 5: Parmazan is my house mate.
Speaker 2: You are dream my friends.
Speaker 5: I know, I really am. I really am. But yeah, other than that, that's it. What about you, Jess?
Speaker 2: Nothing, she's not moving, she doesn't have a new cat house maid.
Speaker 4: No sad about that now. To be honest, I also kind of boring, but like maybe the girls who get it get it. I got a kindle of for Christmas, and I mean it arrived at like February, and so since February I have been reading one singular book series, not because it takes me a long time to read, but because I started this series. I just picked it up because I watch what the TV show It's called Shadowhunters. It's like, why a fantasy. I do not have like high brow tasting books. Let me mine is trash. Yeah, yeah, so why fantasy?
Speaker 2: Actually, some research out there, just a buddy in there, please say that the more intelligent you are, the lower level the content you like to consume, and your free time is perfect.
Speaker 4: I must be the world's smartest person.
Speaker 2: I'm the world's biggest fan of Real Housewives of Salt Lake City. Of course, perfect sense, You're welcome.
Speaker 4: I started books. I watched the TV show and then I realized it was books. So I read it and it was a trilogy, and then I was like looking for something similar, and I was like, oh, in the same universe, there's another trilogy. And this happens to me like five times. So I have read It's in the same universe, but it's like an extended timelines. There's prequels, there's sequels, there's anthologies. I have read nineteen books this year. I'm from the same universe. But the problem. The problem is that I finished.
Speaker 2: The last book No what are you going to do?
Speaker 4: Last night? And now I'm like, cause I read every night for bed, It's my little night tatame.
Speaker 5: I'm like, so cute, what are you going to do. Yeah, I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Have this void because I've been so immersed in this one universe. If anyone has any.
Speaker 2: Recommendation, have a lot of recommendation. Exella, we actually have a book club c cute. It's very very cute, and we all have our little kindles and we go to book club, but we talk about our books of the week. So I have a few recommendations. But if you're anything like me, do you feel like that when you finish a series and there's no like follow on because I'm assuming that you then went, oh, I'm finished, I don't know what to do with my life, and then you found something. Do you feel like right now you just become a non reader again? Because I feel like, Yeah, I go from being like no I'm a reader, like I'm a book where I'm I'm fully in it, Like I can read nineteen books too, it's not for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I fall off the horse.
Speaker 2: Completely and then I'll see my Kindle one day and be like I'm in love with that thing and then I like dive back in. Yeah, I just I can't commit long term though.
Speaker 5: Remind me, Kindle is a tablet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like an e reader. But all it does is the book, which I really like. It's why I read it before bed, because if I read on my phone or on my iPad or whatever, I do get sidetracked. Whereas it's just books, okay literally physically nothing else on it.
Speaker 5: They're already in the doubt. Sorry but sorry, this is the question. They're in the tablet already the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you download them like you would. It's kind of like got the kindle at and you download it kind of like you would download a PDF, and then it appears on your Kindle. The thing I like about it is it's not like a bright screen either, kind of looks like you're looking at paper. Oh that's very yes, it's just very low stimulation.
Speaker 4: That awesome, So anyone. I was also like, why are fantasy, especially if you've read that series and can recommend something similar. I'm not a smut girl, That's my one thing. All the recommendations I've gotten have been like fantasy smunt, which is not really for you me. That's okay, no judgment, but it's just like I like something a little bit huh what smut?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, like dirty, like it's content. Give me those records. Yeah, so that's what we've been reading at Zella. So I'll just filter out the recommendations. I do have a number of other recommendations for you, but I feel like that's a very good conversation topic for me at this point in time, because I hyper fixate on things and right now my kindle and I BFFs. I do have a question, though, Bet you're gonna be like, why is this a question? What font do you choose?
Speaker 4: I read whatever the default is.
Speaker 5: I know I.
Speaker 4: Like it just the brightness because I read in the dark or during the day, But like, I don't really mess around with actually know I've made the big because I'm getting old.
Speaker 2: Why do you know what FONTAI reading is?
Speaker 5: Dyslexia funds So good, Jess.
Speaker 2: It's in your kindle already, you don't have to download it. It makes reading so much easier, Like your eyes just glide across the words. You read so much faster, which, yeah, I don't know is that a good or a bad thing? Reading faster because you finish your books quicker then you have to find another one, yeah, which is a money lost to read quick?
Speaker 5: Oh true, No, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah. How cool do we live in twenty twenty four though, and you can make a book more legible for people with dyslexia by clicking. Isn't that cool?
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that was something that would benefit me. I thought it looked really weird, But now I'm obsessed. Guys, how's your Weekking? Oh my gosh, this week has been insane. We finally launched the Investing Masterclass, which is Oh my god. I have been working on this for a billion and one years and I'm just honestly so excited for it. But at the same time, I'm so glad I'm no longer talking about it, like, Jess, have I been talking about this since you joined?
Speaker 4: Literally it's like four years.
Speaker 2: It's discussing like I feel like I keep being like, how long has it been? Two years? No?
Speaker 4: Four years?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how embarrassing. I have been sitting on this for so long. And I mean at the start it was because I couldn't launch it because I was a licensed financial advisor and that would have constituted me giving personal advice. So not allowed to do it. Now I am, but like life happened, so I was like, oh, I'm getting married, I'm having a baby, I'm doing life like everything was too busy and I wanted to do it myself. I didn't want someone else to swoop in and be like, oh, hey, you know Jess would have been like, oh, do you need help with that. I'm kind of like, no, I do it myself. When I say I do anything myself, Jess, what happens. Nothing gets done, adhd gets in the way, and that is absolutely fine. But we've had the best week. I feel like all of our friends are joining the course. It launches on the thirtieth of September, so like, right now it's for sale. You can go and sign up, and like there's only a very limited period of time that you can sign up to the course because it starts on the thirtieth, and then we're not letting anyone else in so that I can focus on that cohort. But surprisingly, so many of you messaged and said, hey, can you like bundle up your money master class and you're investing master Class together. Jess, I wish I'd thought of that, say last, but we have bundled it together so that if you sign up, you can do the Money master Class now waiting for the thirtieth of September, so that when the thirtieth of September comes, you can start doing the investing course and you've kind of got your financial house sortid. I just feel like this month is the month for the investing girls. I'm just so excited about it.
Speaker 4: It's your finances, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Like also, let's get really ridiculously rich. I'll obviously pop all the information in the show notes, but if you don't want to go to the show notes, just use the Code podcast and we'll give you a sweet little discount, which we are all here for. Let's jump in though, jess what community money wins have you brought to the table.
Speaker 4: Already this week? I'm going to start off with one from Emily, who said she received an email from the company that she bought her pram from recently to do a review for the chance to win back the cost of the pram. Being a new mum, everything super tired, so she figured why not, she didn't have anything to lose. So expensive, so expensive, And then she checked her email a few weeks later and turns out she'd won.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 4: She said, I was so exciting and loved that they already had the prem they knew that they liked it, but now it is free.
Speaker 2: That's such a good money.
Speaker 4: Well, I love hearing when people win those types of competitions because in my mind, no one ever know true.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, I'm like, who's winning these?
Speaker 4: It's like the magazine not pleasing, right, or like the at the bottom of the receipt, you know, fill out a survey like does anyone ever win these? Emily rue?
Speaker 2: When's macas monopoly coming back? That is? I think, so.
Speaker 4: Jess is obsessed gold Mac is on the way home. Next, I got money when from Denay, who said her elders plays netball and went to the state age competition earlier in the year. One of the other mums had sent her through a link to apply for a grant towards the costs, so she thought she'd give it a go, and she had an email saying they were successful and will receive six hundred and fifty dollars towards the cost of the trip this week.
Speaker 2: Six hundred and fifty bus. That's a good deal.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to say, because I was in activities kid like, I did a lot of activities.
Speaker 2: As a try say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, history kind of tracks, but I remember that we used to get a lot of grants through our local council, and I know that it's so expensive with kids doing activities, So I just wanted to say, if you're a parent, check your local council because a lot of the time there's government fundings like kids in sports and kids in arts, and those things can kind of make it a little bit easier on you. So check you local council website. Next, I've got a money in from Katie. Actually, I have a few money into that were all in the same themes. I'm going to bundle them all together, so I have one from Katie Bundlewin, one from Nellie and also one from Zerra or Zara. I'm really sorry z e aia zero zero beautiful now love it. I hope I got that right, Sorry if I didn't. But all tax themed. So Katie did her taxes for last year and this year she's feeling very relieved to have it done. Nellie said she received her tax return, she paid off her can put something savings, and also shop the sales calls this week and managed to save herself a whole bundle with her tax refund, and Zira got her tax back and she had enough to pay off her after pay pay off a whole extra month of her car finance, and she had money left over to cover some of her bills while she's doing an unpaid placement.
Speaker 2: Right, How good is that, Queen? Would that feel though?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's satisfying. Oh that's so nice.
Speaker 4: Tax people doing tax things. We love to see being responsible with that tax money. Well, baby, that is that.
Speaker 2: An attack on Beck? Yeah? What are you doing with your money? Beck?
Speaker 5: Even pick up on that at all?
Speaker 4: I'm glad I was.
Speaker 2: Jess would never actually put that down. We all know that. I was just like thinking at the same time, I'm like, look at these people being really responsible, and like, I'm just living my life with my values.
Speaker 4: You got some fun.
Speaker 5: I did blow a little bit, Jess. You would not like to see the inside of my car right now. I keep telling me to pay off my fines, and you know it is like that one window in my car that's just duct tape because it was broken, and on that on the inside is like a wall of new parking fines, and I think.
Speaker 4: It's all over sticking them to the d think it's any friend of you one, But I.
Speaker 2: Actually do want a photo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I should have used that tax money to pay for those fines. But I didn't, and I'm sorry, but I just I don't have that kind of breaks, like I actually am who I am so just God. But what i can control is where I park. And so I'm going to start doing that.
Speaker 4: Stop stoping them up, plead, try and stop giving me anxiety.
Speaker 2: Honestly, at this point, I'm not give me the fines. Give me the log into your bank account. You're like, oh no, no, no, no, you.
Speaker 5: Won't find much in the.
Speaker 4: Lastly, this week, I have a money when from Laura who said she applies I had for recognition of prior work as credit towards her university degree for the upcoming semester. She wasn't sure if it would work. But if you don't ask, you don't get. And today she got a notification saying that her application was approved.
Speaker 2: Me good.
Speaker 4: She's gonna save over two thousand dollars that would have gone on her helped deb because she doesn't have to take the credits again. And it's taken a big mental load off of her as well.
Speaker 5: Great, that's so good.
Speaker 2: Prior work.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that you could transfer like I knew that you could transfer some course credits because my partner did that when he went from sports science to physio, and even that he had to actively, like I remember it being a bit of a pain in the arse, like it wasn't a simple thing, but it was the same type of deal. I think it saved him a semester or two because.
Speaker 2: I've just done this because as you guys know, like I don't actually have a lot on at the moment.
Speaker 4: I'm a busy no no.
Speaker 1: No no.
Speaker 2: So I was at work the other day and I was a little bit jealous because all the girls their mortgage brokers. I'm not a mortgage broker. I owned the mortgage broking company, and like I could probably do it like the back of my hand, but like for the last few years I've been like, well, there's no point me doing it, because like I managed, the team, got jealous signed up for a mortgage broking course so that they can become an official broker, because I was like, that sounds slay, Like that sounds fun. Got recognition of prior work, which makes sense. But also when I was on the website, none of it lined up because I was like, well, financial advice, it's not mortgage broking, but I wrote a little case and I like submitted it and I submitted my prior degrees and they were like, oh, yeah, you don't have to do this, this, this, and this, like it's pretty good. So I feel like even though it didn't directly align, just asking meant that they were like, well, actually, and it was like ethics modules and just kind of things that you're like, oh, it's not how to do the job, it's more how to you know, function in finance. That were like, oh, you definitely don't need to do a B and C. And I was like, thank you, so money win, but also like admin.
Speaker 4: Win yeah, and Laura said, don't ask don't yet.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I'm going to be a proper mortgage broker, but I want the degree.
Speaker 4: I just did not go on to add to the collection.
Speaker 2: I just like collecting them like little pokemon. It's very cute. Nobody is like me, and that is okay, that is okay, alright. You broke tips, yes, not parking fines. They are not good tips.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: Well, actually one of my tips is pay your fines. If you break your car window, you actually can just duct tape it. And I know that's that's not my broke tip for this week.
Speaker 2: See, but I'm for a good broke tip when they're legal. That's actually illegal. Yeah, so like, let's not do that.
Speaker 5: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: I mean it's any intim and yeah, like desperation calls for being creative and I like that.
Speaker 5: It's just a fantastic thing that I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Should get it fixed though, we should. We should. If you can't see out of the window because it's it's very detained.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't see any goodlines.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, can you see blind spots?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, not an option option? See why it might be illegal?
Speaker 5: I see, I see that is on the to do list. Okay, so the first broke tip this week comes from Iris, who sent me a TikTok about an app called Too Good to Go.
Speaker 4: I'm sinking it everywhere. I keep trying to get it, but there's not much where I live, unfortunately.
Speaker 5: See I just downloaded it today.
Speaker 2: Actually, sorry, I've never heard of it. What it is?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my god, I didn't give anyone any context.
Speaker 2: You were like, it's cold, too good to Go? Yeah, get it?
Speaker 4: Get it anyway. Next tip.
Speaker 5: No, it's kind of like a combination of things. It's like trying to reduce food waste. And also it's a broke tip. I feel like with this app, you correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure. It's like you can scam like your area or like anywhere around you really and see if there's any food waste going. I don't know if it's like companies or if it's like just people, but it's like restaurants and yeah, so it's like food that you got to chuck out at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: So you pay a flat fee and effectively you just get a mystery bag. So like it might be like, is it Attica in the city? I saw, God, yeah, like a lot of foujie places, Brumbies I saw do it like lots of I always wonder.
Speaker 2: So I used to live on the Peninsula. I think you guys already know that, and the local like Baker's Delight used to like bag up and I'd see them if I was at the supermarket late, putting all the bread into garbage bags, and I was like, oh my god, what a waste. But they were like donating it to like the pig farm, and the pigs would eat it, and like I liked that, but if it goes to human beings, is that not better totally?
Speaker 4: So it's usually like a flat fee, and so you might pay five dollars or ten dollars, and from what I've seen, it's like a day in advance, so like today, I would book to pick up tomorrow and it'll say pick up between three and four or whatever, and you just get a mystery bag. And so if you search up on TikTok, heaps people and I'm boxing what you've done that was so fun, I'm gonna eat really really fun and it's cool. It's like a little mystery And if you're eating cheap, it's so you get the whole thing, is you it's more value than what you pay. So if you pay five dollars might be worth twenty bucks or whatever. And I'm assuming depending on how much they have, you might get like even more value or whatever.
Speaker 2: So how that is Sunny Wins. That is a good broak.
Speaker 4: It's just come to Australia. It's really new in the US for a while, right, I think it's just launched here.
Speaker 2: I'm going to set you a little bit of a snoop into them, because I have been on that side of TikTok, which is like all the budget eats. Yeah, and I've noticed that there seems to be and I don't know if this is true. I'm going to try it, but a couple of girls have been posting what they're buying at the butcher, Like they get the butcher's mixed bag and it's like, I don't know, seventy five or one hundred dollars and they get like ten items, and I'm like, that's wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like this one girl for seventy five dollars got like a roast and like mince and like ten other things. And I was like, that's like less than ten dollars per item. And you've got a roast for Sunday.
Speaker 5: That's great, what a money win.
Speaker 2: So good anyway, I just I like cheap food, don't Oh, it's this economy absolutely, and it's a human right.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what else have you got?
Speaker 5: Okay? Next one comes from Lauren, who says store your nail varnishes in the fridge to stop them going gloopy, especially if you live in Queensland it's quite hot.
Speaker 2: That's quite smart.
Speaker 5: If they do go gloopy, add a few drops of nail varnish removers to them and shake wila that will last a bit longer.
Speaker 2: Oh so good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'm not tried personally, but I'm sure that.
Speaker 2: You went out polish. I beg things.
Speaker 5: I don't really but I'm not opposed to it. I just like don't really know.
Speaker 2: And also it's very hard.
Speaker 5: I don't know you guys do it, Like, yeah, I always get it everywhere.
Speaker 2: I have a rainbow this week that did a whole rainbow, very cute of my stories. Yeah, oh thanks thanks, But like I just I just need it actually, But I just I don't know about you, Jess, Like this is not a you thing, Beck, because you don't do your nails, But like, I just get into mood sometimes and I just go, I need to have rainbow nails. I just I know my mood's going to improve if I paint my nails the color of the rainbow, and then my mood instantly improved.
Speaker 5: She's full of pride. Well yeah, yeah, she's an ally.
Speaker 4: She's an ally.
Speaker 2: Ally with my fingers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're welcome, moving right along, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: What's your broke to Okay, my broke chip is I'm agreat no thing, just so you know.
Speaker 5: Hey, that's one hell of an ally. Okay, I broke tip, have you guys sort of to day tis No, actually just somewhere This didn't come from me. Last ticks as well, same thing, last ticks as well. Okay, so it's where like you.
Speaker 4: Hold on, Jess, what's it?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: I know, I think, I think, I'm so sorry, but I I love that I'm a real skim reader, and I think you can find cheap tickets through these websites you think at the last minute.
Speaker 4: Yes, is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, So it's like a lot of.
Speaker 2: Feel I'm just taking I'm given hold on, hold on, just to reset, Jess. You feel like you're taking something off Beck when Beck brought your.
Speaker 4: Books the sharing economy. Yeah, so it's as exactly as you said. It's a lot of theater. So musicals plays, sometimes galleries, things that you know there's X amount of seats. If they don't feel the seats, they don't make any money. So often it'll be like the same day or the same week, or if you shows in it's like last kind of leg you can jump on there and either buy the ticket directly, or sometimes it's a lottery, so you submit to try to be able to buy the cheap ticket. I remember you were trying to get Wicked tickets so badly, but I didn't devastate it. But like I think normal Wicked tickets were like entry level ninety bucks. So like the very background, whereas they were selling all of them on I think I can't remember it was Last Ticks or Staticks whoever, which every one was, they were forty bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like right now everybody's under so much financial pressure they're doing something like going to the theater. You like ninety dollars a ticket. Yeah, like that is an expensive day out, Like that's not something that you can just go, oh hey, Jess, I'd love to take the kids to wicket, Like that's not a thing. Like to me, that's like a Christmas present, like a good Christmas present at that. So like being able to go for forty bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, support the arts, fill the theater out. Also, you know, look after all a little bit while you do it.
Speaker 2: We love that. Love that. Well, let's go to a really quick break. Just is gonna look at the font that I like on Kindle because it and I'm probably going to get another coffee. But on the flip side, we're going to be talking about what to do when you're feeling like you're more your partner's financial manager than their teammate. And Beck, I'm excited for this. I feel like you're excited to We got a little bit of a spicy DM. We're going to be chatting about what's more important, helping your friend or keeping their secret. So don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 2: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheess on the Money team is here to help.
Speaker 7: Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 2: Career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us ashore voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, She's on the Money. Loved the podcast and would love some help with my current money dilemma around getting my husband involved in our budget.
Speaker 2: It's not something he's interested.
Speaker 6: At all, and he has always left it up to me, says that he trusts me completely in the decisions that I make, but it makes me feel like I am completely in charge and get guilty if we don't have the money when something arises and we need it, or if I've done something wrong. He's not interested in getting involved at Also, I just love some tips around navigating this with him, because recently he started to make some comments around how I'm policing his spending, but it's because I know he doesn't check the account, so I kind of have to check in and make sure a certain purchase with him, and it's not our accounts being compromised and things like that. Another example is he got a recent pay rise and I tried to set a budget meeting and gave him lots of warning in the calendar around it, just to figure out where we should allocate the extra funds that he's now getting and any financial goals that he had, but he didn't have any, wanted to just leave it up to me and trusted me completely, And then a few days later comes to me and says that he wants to buy a certain thing costs three thousand dollars and that's not something that's built into our budget, and I feel like I can't say no, I just have to suddenly come up with the money and work around him. I'm a little concerned that later on in life, any goals that we have, anything that goes wrong, that's going to come down to me and be my fault.
Speaker 2: Do you have any tips for this?
Speaker 5: This is so hard to listen to because I totally get it. Like it's the same old thing, isn't it the I'm not I don't want to generalize here, but I am going to generalize. It's usually like one partner is not doing any of the mental load. Maybe they're doing some of the physical load if the other partner quote unquote nags them enough, because all of the mental load falls on the other partner. Even if they're not physical doing the thing, they're still like, I've got to remember to remind this person to do this thing. Anyway, in this situation feels like there's no winning, it's lose lose. She's she's completely taking over all of the financial responsibility, the mental loads, the physical load, all of this load, and then therefore has to say yes or no to the partner who wants to spend all this money, and then they're the bad person because they've said no to a certain purchase or yes to a certain purchase.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: The whole thing is just like I feel so bad for this woman, and I wanted to find an equal partner. I wanted to find an equal partner.
Speaker 2: Basically, Oh, so you're saying leave.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying I find a different equal part I'm saying, if your partner can't understand why this is stressful and extremely extremely unfair, then find an equal partner or be single, because then you just have to worry about yourself, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I agree. I think it's a it's a bit rich, like when people are like I don't care, I don't care. Also, I want to spend three grand like you actually do care. But it seems to me that you only care when it benefits you, and that's not how finances work. Like you've got to get into the nitty gritty. And I've really heard her when she said, I'm fine with it now. Obviously I've got to work it out. But like, in the future, does this mean that everything's going to be my fault and it doesn't go to plan? Because like you can totally see that that's the case. Like it really frustrates me. And I feel like you hit the nail on the head back when you said it's about mental load, Like you're the one thinking of like, okay, cool, like we need to budget for Christmas and oh we've got this coming up, and oh we've got people coming over, so like dinner's going to be different. Like it's stuff that he's just going I can't be bothered. But then all of a sudden, when he wants a three thousand dollar item, he's like, oh, yeah, let let's make room for that totally. Are you willing to help make room? Also, what do you mean you can't say no? Sorry? You said that the budgeting was in my court and I've actually we don't have budget for that. Oh you're interested in the budget now? Would you like to revisit it because I can clean the slate. We can start budgeting from scratch again together. Because if you're interested, yeah, jump on board. I would be really happy to clear the slate and start again when it's completely equal. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. You don't get the best of both worlds and be like, hey, yes, I want you know a three thousand dollars item. But I also don't want to help with any of the financial stuff. No, I hate it. What do you reckon, Jess?
Speaker 4: I agree. I think it's common trope unfortunately, like it's very common that the load leans one way or the other. I would say that if you haven't, because it sounds a little bit like our listeners just carrying it all and going okay, Like I feel like I have to just find room for it. As you were saying, VD, I think like push back. I think that when you say, yeah, you have to find room, I certainly do not. I think as well, it's important as much as you would hope that your partner would see and understand the level of work that goes into something, the best way to communicate is to not make those assumptions. So I think if you haven't already communicating to your partner, Hey, do you realize that this takes up a lot of time? Do you realize that it's causing me a lot of anxiety? Because I feel like I'm the bad guy in our relationship. I feel like I'm parenting for you, or I feel like i'm your accountant. I don't feel like i'm your equal I feel like I'm working for you if you haven't already had that conversation. I think it's important to help your partner understand those things because we can't assume that they know how we're feeling. In an ideal world, would they just do their part equally communication shockingly round about way I'm saying, have a conversation.
Speaker 2: But so you've got to feel empowered to have that conversation because right now you're probably like, I don't know why it is like that, And the reason it's like that is everything you're saying, Jess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think like in some partnerships there is maybe one person who takes the lead on something like finances, and if that works for you, that's not a bad thing. But because our listener is clearly saying that that's not for her, it's very reasonable for you to expect your partner to carry their share of that load because it is both of your money. And you know, maybe he thinks that he's being really like nice by saying, oh, I trust you, I want to leave it with you, and doesn't understand that actually it's causing you a lot of stress and you're really not liking it.
Speaker 2: So it's not really about trust, though it's so nice that you do trust me, fantastic. That's actually why we're in a relationship together, because we trust one another and want to build a life together. This it's actually about our core values and how we are allocating the resources that come into our relationship to achieve the goals that we want. And if your partner saying, well, I have no goals, like for me, red flag, but also you clearly do you want a three thousand dollar item that's a financial goal to me, like a three thousand dollar item needs a lot of consideration from my perspective.
Speaker 5: Totally, I think, yeah, it's just it's really hard because I totally get like not having financial goals, Like I feel like when I start dating my current partner, I don't really have any. But I know that if I want to build a life with this person who does have financial goals, I need to change the way I live my life. But so's that's a completely sad step.
Speaker 2: That's a big conversation.
Speaker 5: So I feel like, maybe that's you're going to pay maybe not right now, if we moving together one there I will.
Speaker 2: But I think that's a sure sign of commitment for beck. If she comes in one day I've paid my parking fines, I'm going to be like, are you getting married?
Speaker 5: Yeah, then if you know experience. I really feel for our listener because I think it's hard when you come into a conversation or you try to have a conversation. If you start from equal, an equal playing field, it's still hard. But it feels like our listener is not at an equal playing field. It feels like they're going to be immediately on the defense because they've been kind of labeled the quote unquote bad guy in situations. So it feels like they're going to have to defend themselves and then get to equal and then talk about how to change things. And so I feel like there's just so much land to treks.
Speaker 4: Canceled the meeting either, that makes me because that was her opportunity to have the conversation to go like maybe that was her plan. He's like, Okay, like we're gonna sit down. I got to go overall of this, and then he like bailed on it, which I also think is just very disrespectful.
Speaker 5: I just don't I just I just think the I'm just kidding communation first shore, and if it doesn't work, then it's just so much. Sometimes it's so much easier just to be single. So I mean it might not be in this case, but think about it. Just think about it.
Speaker 2: I'm really I get really frustrated about this, but I can also see how it happens, and I think that this is potentially getting a little bit deep a reflection of his money story as well. He could be quite evasive of this conversation because it deeply makes him uncomfortable. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about money because you know, it's overwhelming, and he's just like a thank god, my partner's got it, Like, oh, I don't want to talk about I trust you, please just deal with it like you maybe don't know enough about it. And that's where I would go. It's not just about the conversation. Clearly he's evasive of that. Maybe we need to step further back and go, hey, like, you know, are we getting married one day?
Speaker 4: What does this look like?
Speaker 2: Okay, so if we're building a life together and you know, when we are eighty and sitting on a porch in our rocking chairs holding hands looking off into the sunset, like, what do we want to have achieved? What are we talking about what are those things that we are proud of? And going from there? I know that's a really deep way of looking at it, but are we achieving things together? Okay, well, this is actually the tool we need to knock on the head to get there. Why are you evasive of this? How did you grow up around money? Let's talk about our money stories and maybe sharing with him some resources that he can consume in his own time, and just going look, you're really evasive of the meeting. I get it. Here's a podcast. Here's Victoria's very first podcast on money stories. Please listen to it today in your own time and have a think about whether that's guiding the way that we're interacting around money. Give some resources, and I feel like being extended the I won't say privileged, but being extended the opportunity to consume those things in his own time might mean that he has that point of reflection. Whereas if he's doing what I think he's doing and avoiding that conversation, if you then drag him into the budget conversation, he's going to be defensive. He's not gonna want to play. He's gonna be like, yeah, yeah, Jess, whatever, you want, Oh, you want to buy a new car in the next twelve months, Okay, put that on the goal list. Like he's not going to actually give you what you want in that situation. It's going to take a bit of work. So I would be trying to work out what that looks like and having those conversations and even just going, hey, I know that you canceled the meeting, like why what's going on? Like, you know, can we talk about it? Is it making you uncomfortable? Like, and then maybe having a think about if you can't ask those questions of your partner, why why can't you have these conversations and what is that indicative of in your relationship? It's an uncomfortable conversation at the end of the day because, like as you were saying, Beck, it's easier to be single, but it kind of is sometimes I'm not saying leave, but like, have a think about why these things might be happening the way that they're happening.
Speaker 5: Great advice, I don't know, solon, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, and then come back and let us know what happens.
Speaker 2: Please do Like I want to have all these people that dm us send updates.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we want updates a whole update episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I can be like, all right, remember this, Oh my god, she x y z so juicy, keep us up with the goss. Speaking of Goss, we got a DM this week and I have been waiting all episode to get into it. Are you ready right? Okay, Hey, she's on the money. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some advice. A friend told me that another one of our mutual friends is in deep financial trouble. They're struggling a lot, and my first instinct is to reach out and help. But here's the problem. The friend who told me said it was supposed to be a secret and they shouldn't have shared it in the first place. I don't want to betray anyone's trust, but I also can't make the feeling that I should be doing something to help. I'm not sure how to approach the friend who's struggling without making things awkward or revealing that I know something that I shouldn't. What would you do?
Speaker 4: Oh that's so hard, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Ooh?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's really important to not let them know, but you know, and I worry that that feels sneaky, And I don't mean it to feel that way, but I think if they haven't shared it with you, it is because they are feeling embarrassed or unsure or unconfident. And I think that telling them that you know will one make them feel betrayed by your absolutely friends that shared the information. So that's going to pile on top and it's going to make them feel embarrassed because they didn't get to control the narrative themselves. They might start to worry what else you've been told? Like, I think it's just going to add to their feeling of anxiety that they're already having. For me, the way that I would go about it, and I have to say, you're a great friend. It's really lovely that you do want to help them, that you care. Yeah, Like, that's absolutely the right instinct, that's coming from love. I think that you need to try to open the door to them by making those conversations comfortable. And the way that often you can do that is by talking to people about your problems. It's that age old saying like if you want people to feel confident in accepting your help, you need to ask for theirs first to make them feel like they can ask for something from you. So maybe talking to them about even if you're not experiencing current financial problems, you know, talking to them about another problem that you're having.
Speaker 2: Or it doesn't have to be like for like, you don't have to make stuff up because you can see through that that would be inauthentic.
Speaker 4: Or reflecting on you know, oh my gosh, my friend is going through X y Z and I'm trying to figure out what to do to help them or whatever. Like, if you approach them with your problem, it's going to make them hopefully feel more comfortable opening up to you. And then particularly about finance, because as we know, finance is very divisive and some people are really comfy talking about it like we are, and some people are so not comfortable about it at all. Just talking about money as if it's a casual thing, like not even necessarily about financial problems, but talking about your super talking about if you're thinking about investing or your financial goals.
Speaker 2: Money doesn't have to be personal, no, Like it can be like I could be like Beck, what do you wear, what do you spend?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What finds have you got? But it doesn't have to be personal. It can be a topic lack of conversation in the same way any other topic can be of conversation.
Speaker 4: And I think if you start normalizing that type of conversation, it might also make your friend feel more comfortable to then broach that topic more personally for herself with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I agree. I think I'm very against exactly the same as you do. Not let that friend know that you know. Yeah, because do you know what the worst feeling in the world is feeling betrayed, like feeling like somebody didn't keep your secret. In fact, i'd be quite I don't know. I'm a very black and white person. I'd be like, why did you tell me that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Why did you break that person's trust? Obviously that's an awful situation to be and we all know if financial troubles, it's stressful. You feel like trash, You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, and then on top of that, you feel like other people are going to think that you're less than because you're experiencing financial hardship. The last thing that you wanted when you shared that problem, maybe you finally shared that problem with somebody, is to know that they in the background. Then when I told Jess, do you know what I mean? Like, I'd be heartbroken if I shared something with you, beck and I finally felt comfortable and I'm like, oh my gosh, this is something I'm really struggling with. And then Becky went and talked to your friends about it, and then your friends are approaching me being like, oh, did you need help? I'd be like what, Like that's so overwhelming and it's just going to make me bury my head further in the sand and feel really distrustful of people. So first, if you're that friend who can't keep it, just first, if you're that friend who can't keep a secret, have a good, hard look at yourself, because that's not what friends do. But then two, yeah, I'm reiterating everything that Jess said, like, yeah, don't approach it in that way. Open honest, money conversations, sharing content. There's so many great instagrams and podcasts out there that talk about money and talk about things. But I really like your idea of sharing a problem that you have so that maybe they can open up. But then also realizing that I don't know how to say this without seeming really harsh, but it's not your problem to solve, like you might want to help them, but if they haven't reached out, maybe you're not that person for them, like maybe empowering the friend that told you to go. Well, actually, I'm really worried about this person, but I can't approach it. Here are some resources that you could say are from you to pass on to this person. Here are some things that you could do to help them, so inadvertently they're getting the advice, but you're not making them feel as though everyone's talking behind their back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was going to suggest the same thing. Actually, I'm trying to remember, like what made me comfortable when I was in a really bad financial situation, like right before I decided to de clear bankruptcy. And I think that what made me tell my friends was first of all, like security with them because I have known them and I'm friends with them, and you know, I feel very secure. But a complete stranger. I know this person is a complete stranger. But let's think what would make you feel comfortable with the complete stranger? I think, yeah, Jess, like you're so right like sharing those stories as well. I think though, if someone was telling me their money, not money problems, but just like talking about money in general, and they kind of suggested that they are not in a bad place. It would make me a little bit too stressed to talk about my situation, Like if I when I talk to friends and they're like, oh, it's the end of pay cycle. I'm really stressed about money. I don't have to dig into my sa dig into my saving Yea, I am closed off from you because you are. I cannot relate to you. This is you know. I'm trying to get there now. But back in the day, I'd be like back in the day, I literally mean like a month ago, I would be like, Okay, I'm not telling this person that I have zero savings.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, yeah, you're I'm stressed too, but totally hate to dip into my non existence exactly.
Speaker 5: And so I think that that is a very good way to do it. But also just just being conscious that this situation might be so much worse than you could have ever imagined. It could be like something you've never experienced before. I think the easiest, safest way to go about this is just, yeah, presenting yourself as a very safe person because you probably are, like you sound like a very good friend, and let them come to you. But I think exactly as you were saying, V like, maybe the best thing to do is like find those resources for yourself, because financial struggles can be so bad that you're like, I don't know how to get out of this. I just don't know how to get out of this, and I don't think I ever will, And so yeah, finding resources like being like an advocate for bankruptcy if you need to be, being an advocate for all these other things, and then sending that message through the friend that knows. Yeah, so I know, I understand, Like the friend might just genuinely be like, I'm scared for my friend and I don't know I need to tell you. Yeah, so that's fine, but I get it.
Speaker 4: You know it's coming. It's all coming from a good place, Like it's coming from a place of love and concern from everyone. But I think if someone's already feeling stressed, anything you can do to not add to that anxiety, Yeah, a good thing.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, And I feel like, as you've been talking, Beckett reminds me of this concept of leading with empathy, not sympathy, Like I feel like when you're sympathetic of someone, you're like, oh, beck are you okay, Like that must be really shit. Oh I feel so bad for you. Instead, you're leading with empathy and going, well, how can I help? Like I can understand that that would be an awful situation to be in, but we're like being proactive and we're helping. And I think that it's really important to reframe that because so often you can be like, I feel so bad for you. That's not what that person needs. Like I can almost guarantee, Beck, if you were going through that bankruptcy journey and I said, oh my god, Beck, I feel so bad for you, you'd be like thanks, bitch, do you know what I mean? Like you'd be like cool, Like that doesn't help me. It just reminds me that my situation is not good, yeah, and that it's trash, Like I don't want that. So I think just making sure that you're leading with not making the person feel like their situation is that bad, more leading with like, oh, Beck, no stress like keeps. Some people go through bankruptcy. My mate went through it and they're fine now, Like it's those things that can help you feel more empowered instead of burdened by what you're going through. And I just yeah, So We obviously put that out to the community and said, well, what is your two cents? The first question we asked was would you reach out to help a friend who is in financial trouble even though you weren't meant to know. Twenty five percent said absolutely, I'd still help. Seventy five percent said no, I've got to respect to their privacy.
Speaker 4: Interesting split.
Speaker 2: Interesting split. I totally get it and I get wanting to help. Yeah, I feel like I would really struggle. Yeah, like, don't tell me, don't tell me if I'm not meant to know, because I suck and I'm really transparent too, Like You'll be like, Victoria, do you know about this? And I no, No, I've never that's crazy Joseica. Yeah, like ask Jess like I can't lie for absolutely trash, like it's the worst. The question we then asked was, let's flip it, how would you feel if you were in financial trouble and a friend who wasn't supposed to know reached out. Twenty six percent said I'd be really grateful for the help, but seventy four percent said honestly, I'd feel betrayed.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In seven of that split is very similar to the previous split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe same same. So then we said, all right, give us your two cents. What are your comments on this? And we got more than a few handfuls of them. So one of you said, bring up money with the friend in a mutual way. For example, Oh, my god, have you ever heard of she's on the money? Great? We love it. Great suggestion. Someone else said, don't mention it because it could blow up the relationship with the confidante, who may be their only support. Just like if they're the only person that they trusted and then you're making them not trust them, Like, that's not good. Someone else said, don't come in trying to fix it, but generally just talk to your friend. If they don't bring it up, then it's your job to leave it. Someone else said, maybe do some low key things for them, like invite them for dinner and pay. Another person said, why can no one keep a secret these days? Literally? Someone else said, maybe like a random act of anonymous kindness, drop a gift voucher in their mailbox, or have some basic groceries de live it.
Speaker 4: That's nice, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Sweet the groceries delivered, I feel like is underrated. Like if you've got a friend going through a struggle, having the basics dropped at your door. Oh imagine true, imagine even just like bread, milk, eggs, all of those things that you just like, pantry staples. Yeah, like, oh thanks, Like it would take off so much pressure. And said, if a friend is in trouble and wanted you to know, you'd know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 2: Then someone else said, this person seems to have a really big heart and the drive to help. Maybe they should try some volunteering and working in money in a different way. And then someone else said, I'd bring it up casually, So, for example, I'd chat about the cost of living is really hitting me hard and try and make it a relatable conversation. I just feel like I get it. But I am the type of person that if I told you a secret and you told someone else, I'd feel betrayed. At the end of the day, I think I'd end up more upset that my secret was shared, rather than I had the secret to begin with.
Speaker 4: Some good practical suggestions there from people. I like the idea of helping anonymously. You're finding it, you know, Oh my gosh. I did a click and collect and I got someone else's click collect I have all these extra groceries I don't need, would you wants?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that's a really nice subtle way as well to try and help.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Well, guys, that's sadly all we have time for today. It's been a fun time.
Speaker 4: Sure, it has been a great time.
Speaker 2: But we will see you bright nearly on Monday morning for a money dary. And I've got another little bonus episode dropping in your ears tomorrow morning, so watch out for that. But have the best weekend, guys.
Speaker 4: By guys, bye.
Speaker 7: Did buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine