Speaker 1: It is their pickup with Britt, Laura and Mitch right around Australia. Welcome Hi, rushing to Chemists Warehouse this Father's Day for big brand fragrances at the lowest prices Chemists Warehouse great savings. Every day you're on the pickup. That means it's time for this.
Speaker 2: Ask a cat, So ask on Kut is something that we do on our podcast Life Uncut every week. It is where we answer you're deep, you're duck, and you're burning questions. And now we have quite a tricky question today about when is the appropriate time to introduce kids to your new partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Katie on thirteen one of sixty five. Holo Katie, what's going on? What's your question?
Speaker 3: Hi guys, So my question is I've been a relationship now for six months with someone I'm very into, I'm in love with, and I want to introduce him to my kids. I'm just not sure on if it's right time now, when to do it, what I should do. We both have been married before and both now divorce. This will be the first partner we've both introduced our kids too. We don't want to stuff it up.
Speaker 2: It's so's some advice. How many kids you guys, do you have kids? Does he have kids? Like, what's the dynamics.
Speaker 3: We both have kids. So I've got an eight and a ten year old and he has a nine and eleven year old, so we like the Brady bunch. We've got one between like, yeah, four ages.
Speaker 2: Do the kids know that you're that you've been dating or this comes? Oh, they do know. They know that you've been kind of you know, seeing what's out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I've said that I've got a boyfriend, and he said that to his girlfriend to his kids, but we haven't introduced them to each other yet, and we just want to make sure we get it right because this is both really important to us, so we want to make sure we get right.
Speaker 4: From the outside, I would say I wouldn't be I mean, I've had friends in this situation. I wouldn't be doing any introductions unless you thought it was really seriously. I know that you say you love each other, but there's a difference between being in love with each other and actually wanting a future. I think if you know you're going to be serious, that's when you make the introductions to each other. And I think I imagine myself just doing a really fun day out, something really low key. Everyone's hanging out. You're not too affectionate, like public in front of the kids with each other. It's more just like exactly what you said, the Brady Bunch goes to a park day or whatever it is. It makes it really low key, maybe a small amount of time, an hour or two, just as like a soft intro.
Speaker 2: Yes, eight and eleven is really young, but it's also old enough to know what's going on. Like I mean, my parents were divorced when I was young, and both my parents dated and we got introduced to boyfriends and to girlfriends and remember that now was yeah, I totally remember it. I did upset you, going, this is mum and Dad's new partner.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But I think the thing that made it challenging for me is like my mom had a few different boyfriends throughout my childhood, and I guess like you get attached to them and then they leave, you know, So it is really hard if you then kind of feel like you have a connection with that person and then after a year or two years, they're no longer in your life anymore. On the flip side of that, if you don't like the person and your parents don't do things kind of in a slow way, which having my stepdad, I couldn't stand him. It kind of felt like my feelings didn't matter, but everybody else's feelings were prioritize. So it's really it is funny that balance. But make it fun and keep the interactions short during the day and just don't do sleepovers until you get to a point where it's become like you feel like they're part of the family, and also that the kids feel like they have a bit of a say in it as well.
Speaker 4: Katie, what's the relationship like with your kid's dad? And also like his ex as well.
Speaker 3: He dated someone pretty much straight away. I didn't read into that how you will, but they lived together for a couple of years, and they met her a fair way into their relationship because they lived overseas, and the kids didn't really like her. And that's what I think I'm a little bit scared of because I don't want that to be with this because I've dated people for the last four years and nothing's really ever been good enough to introduce them to if that makes sense. Like I've been very wary of not bringing in every person that's sort of Oh they're nice. Why not? It's been like it has to be something that is going somewhere, And like I had a relationship for eighteen months that never went anywhere, and so they never ever knew he even existed. Wo Yeah, Like I made sure that I've only ever introduced or never introduced really anyone as a boyfriend. And I know this one's going somewhere. I finally found someone who is worth that, and I just want to make sure that I get it right for the kids and for us as well, because you know, we want a future together, you know, and the kids are the most important part, and we both recognize that. Well.
Speaker 2: I think it sounds like you were both amazing parents. And the fact that you already are thinking so much about how they're going to respond, and the fact that you've already taken so many precautions to protect them along this way, I actually think you've done everything right, and just taking small steps and not forcing time upon them is probably the next bit. But I think the sounds of things you actually are doing everything right. By your sound amazing.
Speaker 1: You're going to get the partner that they love, and then your exes part of who they hate like you've won the breakup.
Speaker 3: That's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was brilliant. That's the best situation. We'll keep us up dated, Katie. Okay, hope that helps. Yeah, no worries, Katie. Also, we're gonna give you a double pass to the Life Uncut Live show happening later in the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can bring your boyfriend because it'll be a great education piece for him.
Speaker 3: I will do that. Thank you so much, guys. I've been afairs for such a long time. It's lovely to talk to me.
Speaker 1: I wait to see that, all right, still to come here at the Pickup. You guys know Olivia Fraser from Married at First Sight?
Speaker 2: Hi, Yes, she's so and was so controversial on MASS and she copps so much trolling and backlash after that show finished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, she's been emotional on Socials this week. She moved overseas for a new lover, or so she thought it all went wrong, and she's going to join us from Scotland to tell us her story next on the Pickup.