Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Happy thirteenth of November.
Speaker 3: Guys, today we're chatting about Nagi of Recueten Eats. Don't make me continue to talk about her because I will at length and also is saying my boyfriend he We got a bit of blowback a few months ago when I talked about how I want to see the term partner use.
Speaker 2: Less liberally is sure to continue to ruffle some feathers. Let's go.
Speaker 1: I love the way you phrased that.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kita.
Speaker 4: Question for the audience, should gen Z be going to the office. I'm not trying to do that thing where to avoid millennials going to the office, we do a little bait and switch and say what about gen Z?
Speaker 1: What about them?
Speaker 4: But I've been thinking a lot about this loneliness epidemic because it's haunting all of my social medias and it's getting to the point where I can't tell is if this is like individually constructed or the nature of just being alive and everyone's that kind of lonely, but you deal with them. And so I was thinking about how it's definitely impacting each generation differently. Like the loneliness the elderly community experiences is similar to the loneliness of toddler experiences, but different age groups and different reasons. Right, So, like a toddler experiences loneliness because they don't have their parents on their back twenty four to seven that they did when they're an infant, and an elderly person experiences loneliness because they can compare what life was to what life is.
Speaker 1: Da da da da. Then I was thinking, what's gen Z's reason for being lonely?
Speaker 4: You know, if we look at social media and what it's made to do connect people through and through, they don't really have context for life before then, So what's your big excuse for being lonely?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: And then I was thinking it's because the different life stages that are meant to encourage connection are now virtual.
Speaker 1: So like, oh, don't worry.
Speaker 4: Remember when those Australian Unich students were campaigning to get their tuition refunded because a lot of their coursework was online, and they were like, no, this is weird, Like we're paying for face to face, we're paying for the unique experience, we're paying for connection and community.
Speaker 1: This can't happen online.
Speaker 4: Similarly, this push to work from home mustn't be doing any good for people who have been isolated up until that point.
Speaker 1: A lot.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, but say what you want about office culture. It amounts for a lot of interpersonal relationship, relationship building, building connections, making friends, making acquaintances, sharing gossip, sharing stories.
Speaker 1: Whether or not you want to do.
Speaker 4: The commute, that's separate to the fact that the office does do a lot for you socially, and you cannot replicate it with no office experience. If I was going straight from high school every day, like you know, chit chatting with the girl is at recess, at lunch and in classes, and then went to work in the real world and then it was all online, I would feel lonely.
Speaker 2: Too insane, insane, It's adding up.
Speaker 3: So I got my redundant during COVID where we all couldn't be in the office, so it was kind of like a nice It was kind of the perfect experience because no one is in the office anyway, so I was like, oh my god, I'm missing everyone.
Speaker 2: So it was like a forced removal in quite a beautiful way. It also meant so guys.
Speaker 1: The beauty of hindsight.
Speaker 3: If you have never been made redundant and shout out to the baddies who have, do you realize that a lot of people get walked.
Speaker 2: I didn't know a thing called walking.
Speaker 3: You know what that is, Mickey, And it would happen a lot in publishers where someone come over, you go to a meeting, you've been made redundant or you've been fired. They say, okay, and you got to pack up your stuff now and leave. You can't log out of your computer out, you can't do.
Speaker 1: Anything sensitive information.
Speaker 3: Whereas me being in COVID and whatnot, and I come to my house, so tell me what I for the next week, Tell me why I get to use the computer for one more week, play on Facebook and whatnot, and then give it back. I had time to go to that apple Ston and get myself a macbill Pro. With the redundancy payout.
Speaker 1: Was the real handover.
Speaker 3: Flex and I and Mickey, I would also say, have been on the internet for a very long time, and when you're on the Internet, you realize that there are things that you come to think of as second nature, when we really should be questioning them. One of them is what the hell is capture? I recently went to it down a deep dive. I'll share that with you guys next week. Something else that I wondered is what happens when you unsubscribe to an email. Now we all know what happens in terms of like you're not gonna get emails anymore, that's number one. But I always wondered after you click unsubscribe and ask you to, like, say why, and you get all the different boxes, it'd be like, I never signed up to this. They're too many emails. These are not interesting to me anymore. I'm changing my email blah blah blah. I personally always click, I didn't sign up for this newsletter even though you did. Nah, only the ones that I didn't, because nothing brings my current to the forefront like getting unsolicited emails and texts. Yes, I was post aka scammer, I'm looking at you, So in my current behavior, I click. I never signed up for these, and I always wondered what actually happens, Like do they get fined?
Speaker 2: Who's finding them?
Speaker 1: High hold on?
Speaker 4: Say people get fined with putting letters in your letter box? It's what it's there for.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm pretty sure you can if it's like fully, if you're doing a mail out and you just drop and crap into people's litterboxes.
Speaker 4: Well, if people are saying that they don't want to be subscribed to your email list and you keep them on their regardless, then that's you know, a breach of the contract. You've opted out and they're keeping you in there. That's not good. But usually all of this is automated anyway, so you get put into a separate list and then you can select all and then delete.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, I understand. Well, apparently what happens when you see when you click I never signed up for these, is that the mass mailing service that they've used to monitor whether the customers are adding people unwittingly to their mail list too many of those reports and the customer gets dropped.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize this.
Speaker 1: What do you mean the customer in this context.
Speaker 3: The customer is the like brand that is using the mail service. They're using mail Chimp. Mailchimp is allegedly, like you know, taking notice of the data. Yeah, and now so it's LEXI and I newsletters.
Speaker 2: Mine is called frooms Old.
Speaker 3: I haven't posted a newsletter for about four months because I've been busy writing my book. But you're a new newsletter, baddie. I love seeing the insights.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love the insights.
Speaker 3: Like, guys, just know if you started to a newsletter, the kind of information that you can see, what I can see, what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Like when I was dating that guy. Okay, maybe I won't say it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I gotta say it.
Speaker 2: Okay, whatever, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I was saying, this guy and his sister subscribed to my newsletter, and I like looked at her email and I could see how many times she'd like opened it and read it and stuff good stuff like the insights. Just Instagram is quaking thinking about how much that.
Speaker 4: Imagine if you could see on Instagram, how how many times one person looked at a singular post of your Oh my goodness, I would.
Speaker 3: Be I think I would just I don't know what I have to I think I deleted my account before that cash information came to light. Yeah, your inflexing frooms, Okay, FLEXI I have a new obsession. And by a new obsession, I mean it's probably been about two years. A recipe tin eats done by none other than Nagi.
Speaker 2: What is your recipe two eats?
Speaker 3: You ask, it's only the best blog in the whole of Australia food or otherwise. Nagi is a cook. I love Nagi because her recipes are easy. She doesn't use stuff from organic supermarkets. And as you know, I am a skint tight US tight US Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Bobs, So I love that about her.
Speaker 3: She's really like a democratic queen for that and her recipes. I have never made a Nagi recipe that I didn't like. It tastes like a restaurant, but you also know that it's made with love through her making the recipe and then you redoing it.
Speaker 1: What kind of recipes like? What's her cuisine? Her stick?
Speaker 3: Her cuisine spans the whole globe right, Middle Eastern, Yeap, Japanese Yep, she's she was born in Japan.
Speaker 2: British.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say a little bit of fish, fish and chip with a mushy pea moment. I'm sure I've seen that on the page. Let me give a bit more intel. Yeah, so what do you what is so good about her? Because I know Mickey also is a huge fan. Is it because it's down to earth? Are the recipes easy to follow.
Speaker 4: There are literally a million cooks in the world, So why do you like her so much? I did a quick google my first google of hers one point one million followers. Are you late to the trend?
Speaker 2: One point one on Insta?
Speaker 1: Insta?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so you late to it? Are you early to it?
Speaker 3: My mum introduced me about two years ago, okay, which was a big deal. I'm like, mother, how the hell did you get here? Offence Heather. What I love about it is I just Nagi radiates good vibes.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to put my finger on it.
Speaker 3: But she's one of those special people that when she talks in videos, like sometimes she'll talk to the camera, it sounds exactly like what her recipes sound like. And she does the like pre thing and she's talking about Doze or her labrador, and the pre thing like the you know, before every recipe, they like go on a tangent like have you seen those means?
Speaker 2: Which is like before the recipe. It's like when I was seven years old, Why do I do that?
Speaker 4: You know what they do?
Speaker 2: Seo babes right to me?
Speaker 3: You so, yeah, Nagi when she makes salad there with umph as she says she has tried and tasted recipes. You know this woman really cares and she used to work in corporate.
Speaker 1: Where's this information coming back.
Speaker 2: From her origin story. I'm all across her the.
Speaker 4: Way I asked you why you like her, and you've plubbed her origin story on her website.
Speaker 3: I want to ensure I'm sharing the correct information with the family and friends. Anyway, Just honestly, tonight, if you want to cook and you don't know what to cook, Nagi recipe too eats. My personal favorites, the lasagna, the spaghetti, bolonnaise, best bolono sauce you'll ever get across, and the list goes on.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kaita.
Speaker 4: Kim and Kanye's ten year old daughter, potentially the most talked about ten year old ever, has just gotten her first ever solo magazine cover, and I've done us all the service of reading through it and pulling out some highlights. Strangely enough, I mean a couple of months ago through me, you said something to the effect of Northwest being something favorable, like someone we should be looking out for, And I was like, I don't really like kids being celebrities.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't say that, but we were talking about Northwest, and I think I didn't realize that she was nine because I think of her as like fifteen. Oh yeah, but I know that we maybe not fifteen. That's an exaggeration. But we had the discussion, and I had never thought you brought this point up. I never had realized that the idea that Kim was like or her parents were kind of thrusting her into this place where she can't consent.
Speaker 4: That was what I Yeah, so I was of the point of, like, I love a content creator like the next person. But I do think it's so strange that a child so young, or just a child period, can be this intertwined and a mesh in culture in a way that they probably should be probably should be protected from, especially considering that Kim does go out of her way to protect north like she will do these lives she will send to them. But still I don't know if we should be having access to your ten year old like this. But nonetheless, the interview is done. I read through it, you'd be surprised. Number One, she's obsessed with Kanye West, which is classic divorce children loving dad vibes. She says here that her style icon is herself. She says that her favorite thing from the photo shoot is that she got to do her own edges, which, let me tell you, having the wrong hairdresser for the people of color on the shute starts young, because why is a ten year old doing her own hair and edges when she is the children of multimillionaires and juants billionaires.
Speaker 1: It doesn't add up.
Speaker 4: She also talks about wanting to be a mosquito because she's allergic to them and she can tell them all to leave her alone. It's fascinating hearing her kids process their lives like this thing that you hate so much you want to be.
Speaker 1: For what reason?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure three words that she would use to describe herself the best ever, This is a lot of confidence coming from a child, and even if it's who knows if it's real or fake.
Speaker 1: I'm just fascinated by the fact that some.
Speaker 4: Adult here would have to written all these questions to position an interview for a ten year old. What would have been the best case scenario for this? Not quite sure. I'm also really intrigued that they didn't make it a feature. They didn't spend you know, thirty minutes with her and ask her a few questions and weave that into a story. They let her express herself. It's literally just Q and a, A Q and A. Do you like singing? Do you like performing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I like singing. Performing is my favorite. That is how simple the INTWO is, which I kind of want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's better rather.
Speaker 4: Than like positioning her as like this really profound kid or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's it's simple. It's here. It's fine because.
Speaker 2: That would feel more probing and that would feel more inappropriate. But yeah, she's literally a child.
Speaker 3: I also love so like when I say Northwest, I like that she loves like Halloween and stuff. She's always doing prosthetics that stuff. That's what I got excited about when I first saw her. I'm like, she's doing these little, like creative things, and I loved that about her. But she's always going to be compared to both her parents and the way that both her parents are so divisive.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I'm very intrigued to see how this works out. And especially because unlike somebody like Blue Ivy, which is Beyonce and jay Z's child, your access to Blue Ivy is very limited by what Beyonce will allow in a very contrived circumstance like performing on tour. You can't touch her, you can look at her, don't talk about her, don't comment about her. And she'd been very, very particular to ensure that Blue is not really interwoven in any way but being a representative of the Carter family, she's not really her own entity realistically, She's just one kind of like piece of the bigger picture. And for that reason, if you never saw Blue Ivy again, you wouldn't really be surprised. The moment that Northwest decides to take even a brief hiatus from the media, the amount of rumors are going to be made up about her, the amount of speculations about her mental health, her relationship to fame, and all of this stuff. It's going to be a whiral wind for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh my word, My favorite part about doing this show is getting listener submissions. Mickey is always in the DMS talking.
Speaker 2: To our dear listeners.
Speaker 3: So I pop in when when the notifications on Froom's account isn't quite popping, I need little serotonin. I do go to our messages and have a little really not community management, but community check in.
Speaker 2: So guys don't worry. I'm thinking about you.
Speaker 3: We have a okay, So this is actually a TikTok that Jasmine saw and she thought of us, so she sent it in for us to discuss.
Speaker 2: We couldn't find the sauce, but here we go.
Speaker 1: Why is there nothing bitchier than seeing the freeze? My boyfriend, my woyfriend? Would you this weekend?
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, I went to the museum with my airprim They're like, what with me?
Speaker 1: If you're to do a single person?
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're bragging.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, I can't.
Speaker 2: Hang out later, I'm getting dinner with my woifriend.
Speaker 1: Like what.
Speaker 3: This is so like internalized? Being single is embarrassing?
Speaker 2: Core?
Speaker 3: Do you not think I get I get that thing of like if you're with your friends and I feel like I've experienced it before when you've had a partner.
Speaker 4: Wow wow, oh wow through me, don't use partner.
Speaker 3: You don't understand. I pause because I was going to say boyfriend. The thing that I was gonna not say came out. You know, you know, I had a full not beef. But my best friend and I were in the car that I driven through King's Cross and she was like, you know what the one thing that I disagree, Well, there's plenty of things which, like I really disagree when you said that partner thing, she was mad to clarify.
Speaker 1: What did you say about? Okay?
Speaker 3: For a few months ago, folks, I talked about how I think it's hilarious how people laugh as having a partner quote unquote, because potentially it comes across as if they could be queer?
Speaker 1: Is that use another word that's not lap?
Speaker 2: Okay? Live action role play?
Speaker 3: This really like this did ruffle some feathers, but in quite a lovely community. Esquay Like there was discussion in the comments as a video on my Instagram, but essentially saying and I've seen this since discuss more in meme format, so I know I'm not the only one about how certain people live action role play as like, oh are they like queer?
Speaker 2: Are they straight? By saying partner? And I was just saying I find it funny.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And it's not isolated.
Speaker 4: I mean, people use ambiguous language all the time to protect themselves from looking dumb, looking silly, or to position themselves closer to something else, so they want to be like but can't. Interesting. So when your friend was saying. They really disagreed with that. What was the point that they were making.
Speaker 3: Their point was they have a boyfriend, Sorry, they've got a partner. Okay, she had a few points. Number one, boyfriend feels very juvenile, which I understand, but I also like I person think girl, we use that every day, speak on it. The other thing, the point that she made, which I also saw on the comments, was that saying partner protects queer people because if we all say partner, then we don't know who.
Speaker 1: Is that why people say partner.
Speaker 4: Allegedly, you're telling me hand on heart, person who says partner, you do it because you're protecting the queer community.
Speaker 2: Ali, Ali, nickie, do you want to do you want to sign in? I'm sorry, do you want to?
Speaker 4: But I think a lot of people also like saying that if they've been in a long term relationship for like ten years, that's why they're using partner.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I forgot that. Do you call justly your partner never? You're calling your boyfriend always?
Speaker 4: Jusie, Do you think it's because the icky bit about it, saying my boyfriend my girlfriend is not the title but the ownership of it all. Oh, because outside of being your boyfriend, they're just a person. You could say that name. I think that's why it comes across as a little bit ick, because if I was talking to if I was talking to Mickey and I was like, oh, just with my co host, her name.
Speaker 2: Is Frum, we can just say Rubes.
Speaker 4: And if you're in the context of talking to someone about something hanging out with.
Speaker 1: Amber on the weekend, who's Amber, you could say.
Speaker 2: A partner, my boyfriend.
Speaker 4: True, yeah, saying my partner a straight person. Saying my partner kind of reminds me of when you are six and you're holding a handbag.
Speaker 1: And says, oh, what's in your handbag? And you say, oh, nothing, because when you open it up, it's just tissues.
Speaker 4: Why all this song and dance, all this performance art to get away from just saying what it is?
Speaker 1: Thees is the bag?
Speaker 3: FLEXI, I reckon this is your best shot at doing nostalg recor because I completely.
Speaker 1: Forgot the stumping the tissues in the bag.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.