Speaker 1: Already and this this is the daily This is the Daily ODS.
Speaker 2: Oh now it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome to the Daily ODS. It's Wednesday, the second of July. I'm Sam Kazlowski.
Speaker 2: I'm Emma Gillespie.
Speaker 1: Yesterday marked the start of a new financial year in Australia and it came with a raft of changes that affects millions of Australians, from wage increases to new laws. There's quite a bit to unpack, and today we're going to break down the key changes that came into effect on the first of July and take you through how they might impact your life.
Speaker 2: Sam, we're talking about a whole heap of measures that kicked in yesterday, from crime to housing to finance. But I did want to start with the financial changes, the big headlines in that category, because these are probably the ones that will hit people's hip hop it's most directly or the fastest. The first big one to talk about here is the superannuation guarantee. Now, I know a lot of people fall asleep as soon as they hear the word super, but stick with me because it's good news. The super guarantee has increased from eleven point five percent to twelve percent. Now, what that means is that your employer at now has to put an additional zero point five percent of your salary into your super fund. So the amount of money that's going into your super fund every fortnight or month that is going up.
Speaker 1: And Billy and I did a podcast directly on this change and taking a look at super as a whole. I'll throw the link to that in the show notes. But just to be clear, that doesn't affect then your take home pay, right.
Speaker 2: That's correct, So SUPER is paid on top of your salary, So this change doesn't really mean anything changes in your life. If you're an employee, there will be more money going into your retirement fund though, but it won't affect what you see in your bank account each week or whenever you get paid. The only exception here, though, is if you have an employment contract that specifically states your salary is inclusive of SUPER. But that is pretty uncommon. It's more and more uncommon in a twenty twenty five context.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the money that is coming into your bank account directly. Though. There's some changes in the minimum wage.
Speaker 2: Yes, so minimum wage has gone up, and this affects more people than you might think. So, we'll get to that in a sect. But the minimum wage is increased by three point five percent. It's now twenty four dollars and ninety five cents an hour. So if you're on minimum wage, that's roughly an extra thirty bucks in your pocket each week. But the impact of this actually goes beyond just minimum wage workers. It impacts people on award wages. So award wages are industry specific pay rates for sectors like hospitality administration. They will also be affected.
Speaker 1: So there are yeah, how many people are we talking about that?
Speaker 2: There are three million people thereabouts who are covered buy awards, and so that means that there will be an increase that flows through to their pacelips because of the minimum wage changes.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about changes to small business. We have just come through a federal election, which means that there was lots of talk about how to support small businesses, especially after the pandemic. What's shifted here, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is a significant one for small business owners, maybe like yourself, Sam, who have a turnover of less than ten million dollars per year. So the instant asset right off limit has dropped from twenty thousand dollars to one thousand dollars. This was always the plan. It's gone back to a previous asset right off limit. What that all means is that those businesses under the ten million turnover can no longer immediately deduct the full cost of equipment or assets. Instead, you'll need to depreciate them over time and just quickly. There is one more tax deduction change that I did want to flag, and that is that you can no longer claim an income tax todayduction for ATO interest charges. So if you owe money to the ATO, if you have an outstanding debt, maybe you lodged a tax return a few years ago, you owed money, you haven't paid that all back. They are charging you interest on this debt, and you can no longer deduct this interest from your taxable income. Now, this is all aimed essentially at encouraging people to pay their debts backfast.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that sounds like a bit of enforcement from the ATO to get people to pay it on time exactly, And that's something that they I feel like this time of year. They talk about that every year, about the importance of paying your taxes on time. And it's a pretty thankless job. Let's move now to the cost of living measures. A lot of these were in that federal election. They're now going to come into effect. Yep.
Speaker 2: So we heard a lot about cost of living, as you mentioned in the run up to the federal election. A lot of these promises people may have forgotten about, but July one means many of them are in effect. So the big one is the extension of energy bill relief. You might remember this being announced. Households will continue to receive seventy five dollars discounts on their next two energy bills, and this is also good news for around a million small businesses who are also eligible. This is an initiative that was due to expire, but the federal government extended it until the end of the year. If it sounds a bit familiar, There's another big one in effect, and it's about paid parental leave now. Pay per rental leave has actually been increasing incrementally over the last few years. It's going to happen again next year, but yesterday it increased to twenty four weeks, up from twenty two weeks. Now. Paid perntal leave is a payment based on minimum wage sure so that.
Speaker 1: Which has also gone up exactly interesting.
Speaker 2: He's paying attention. So that is now nine hundred and forty eight dollars per week, and paid parental leave like I mentioned, will increase next year to twenty six weeks.
Speaker 1: A really interesting initiative has come into the market for students where nursing with free teaching and social work students are now going to be paid for their practical placements. Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is a really big one and we know a really important one to the TDA audience. We've spoken a lot about placement poverty and the range of degrees that kind of have this mandatory prac aspect to the syllabus, to the core of the degree. But the people are taking weeks and months out of the year to complete those with no payment.
Speaker 1: Particularly those who have to travel a long way exactly a work after hours. It can be a really stressful time for a really important job.
Speaker 2: And you might have to complete your PRACK in a regional or remote area. So students in nursing midware, free teaching and social work, as you mentioned, Sam, they will now receive three hundred and thirty one dollars and sixty five cents a week to address this placement poverty. Concern. Now, these placements can be really demanding, as we've touched on to give you a sense of where that three hundred and thirty one bucks per week might stretch. For teachers, they need to spend around six sixteen weeks in classrooms training. Nurses need to spend about twenty weeks in hospitals or clinics. So this is hopefully going to have a really massive impact.
Speaker 1: So I guess if we were to zoom out and look at all of the different economic and cost of living changes, I'd say the key themes here are the gradual increases in some programs that have had a couple of years now of increases. I'm thinking they're about things like superannuation and paper rental leave. And then the big theme is obviously cost of living relief. It's about trying to figure out how to alleviate some of the stresses on Australian individuals and families. Why don't we turn now to some of the law. And you know this one is more of a state based discussion because there's various changes all over the country. Take me through some of the key state and territory changes in law.
Speaker 2: So let's start in the Act you may have seen some headlines around this one here. It's made history by becoming the first jurisdiction in Australia to raise the age of criminal responsibility to fourteen. Previously, this was twelve in the Act across most of Australia. It's still ten years old. But what this means is that no child under fourteen can be charged with or prosecuted for a crime in the Act. There is an exception for twelve and thirteen year olds accused of particularly violent crimes. Now there has been a kind of bit of momentum here. There has been interest or conversation in other states and territories. The nt became the first region to increase the age of criminal responsibility to twelve in twenty twenty two, but a newly elected government reverted that last August. Victoria also increased the age to twelve. It had some plans to progress that eventually to fourteen, but they were scrapped. So the Act really is kind of in a league of its own with this decision.
Speaker 1: Yesterday we heard some really interesting news from the federal government around the regulation of tobacco and the illegal selling of tobacco and importing into Australia. It comes as there's other major tobacco changes that come into effects this week right exactly.
Speaker 2: So, I think we've seen a really significant crackdown in terms of the tobacco black market as regulations have increased on the sale of cigarettes, E cigarettes, vapes. We've also kind of seen this black market emerge of illegal trade of tobacco. Federally, we have just heard that there'll be a new commissioner to kind of manage that and crack down further on that. But at a state level, both New South Wales and Victoria have introduced mandatory licensing schemes for tobacco sellers. This basically impacts anyone who is a tobacco retailer, so a tobacconist or a tobacco wholesaler. So anyone wanting to sell tobacco products now needs to apply for a license in Victoria or New South Wales, and penalties for selling tobacco without a license are incredibly steep. It's starting from at least eleven thousand dollars for an individual for a first time breach, and then the fines go up signalficantly from there. New South Wales has given business as a bit of a grace period. They've got until October to apply for these licenses, while sellers be that retailers or wholesalers in Victoria have until February next year to get their license.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about some of the changes that might happen to your pacelip and to your printal, even some other costs of living changes. We've talked about a couple of shifts in the law. To end off this conversation, why don't we look at housing and I think a really interesting group of people of which we are both part of to examine here is renters. Yeah, because we heard a lot of commentary in the last federal election, there was a bit of an absence of a discussion about the way that rental laws could change. Yep. But that's not necessarily the case across the country though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there are a couple of changes for renters in New South Wales and Queensland. I think for most renters, the overarching theme of the last couple of years has really been there is rege, and it's happening slowly, so slowly, but surely, states are chipping away at how they can protect renters better and in New South Wales this week that's come in the form of a bit of an update on a band that was rolled out last month. So last month New South Wales rolled out this ban on no fault evictions and that prohibits landlords and agents from evicting someone or ending a lease without a legitimate reason to do so. That ban came in last month. Now from yesterday in the state, landlords and agents have to register the reason for any evictions, so no fault evictions a band. This builds on that they must register a reason with the Department of Fair Trading. Landlords and agents are also now compelled to provide evidence in showing the purpose of their reasons supporting their reason proving that reason for an eviction, essentially building on no fault evictions, and in a year's time will get a bit of an idea of what those reasons look like. Fea Trading says it will hand down a bit of an inventory to show us trends and patterns in renting next year. Queensland, meantime, is introducing annual income checks for public housing tenants, So if you are a renter under social housing in that state, you will now have to meet eligibility requirements and these will be annual checks income checks to check that your income is below a certain threshold. To verify that, say, social housing tenants maybe in a two bedroom need a two bedroom or should they be in a one bedroom? And if tenants don't provide information or if their income exceeds the threshold, they will be charged market rent, while the Queensland government says it will work to facilitate their transition to the private rental sector.
Speaker 1: We have smashed through quite a few changes. It gives you a sense though, of just how much shifts in a new financial year. In any given financial year, I think whether some rules or changes that you came across that didn't neatly fit into any of those categories that we've just gone through, and you think to mention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for Tasmanian listeners, there is a pretty timely change to election donations. So we know that Tazi voters are heading to a snap election later this month. This is a state that has become all too familiar with state elections with what's going on there politically. But new election donation rules mean all political donations to a party must be made into specific bank accounts. So if you, for example, are donating money to the Labor Party, that will all go into one consolidated bank account and those donations must be declared within seven days. So this is going to increase the transparency around political donations and comes at a pretty important time for Tasmanians.
Speaker 1: Just quickly, and did you make any pre ephus purchases this year?
Speaker 2: I resisted, I tell you, I had to stop looking at my emails though it was that it was getting hectic, the fomo, the stress, it was a lot. I did have something in a shopping cart on a website that I was going to buy. On June thirty, I went to bed, fell asleep completely, forgot about it first thing yesterday morning, woke up, opened the cart and it was like three times the price. So maybe next.
Speaker 1: Year and you super went up, so in many ways you actually made money.
Speaker 2: Twice savings on savings.
Speaker 1: Thank you here, Thank you so much and for taking us through that whirlwind of changes, and thank you for joining us on the daily Ohs this morning. We're going to be back in your ears this afternoon with your headlines. Until then, have a great day. My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcuttin woman from Gadigol country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.