Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms On Kate, I've had to use the baby voice on true me, a soft, soothing dulcet turn to get her to do her job through me, can we put the phone down please? I did learn that if you want a child to do something, you can't ask them, you must give them options. So through me, do you want to put the phone down now or do you want to risk having to stay back later? What do you want to do?
Speaker 1: Flex? Do you want to let me have a play or do you want to get an uber home? And I won't drive you? I hit an uber? Oh, I like hanging out with you.
Speaker 2: The options have to be beneficial, Okay. Anyway, on today's episode, we did chat about the writer strike being over. It's a bit convoluted as to what that actually means, but I did go into a bit of a mini deep dive comprehensive in like a ten minute type of way.
Speaker 1: And here's the podcast. Kita Flex and Frooms, Flex and Firms, Elmino Lenina. I've heard all the words, Do I know what they mean? Yeah? I actually do, and I want to tell everyone tell us we know that it is giving climate emergency vibes. However, I think we need to go into the epitomiology, which is the study of words. El Nino means in Spanish etymology. What's epittmology? You know you knew what I meant, and that's a beauty pistemology. I don't know that means so epistemology. God is a girl, okay. El Nino is obviously when the weather heats up. And let me give you a little bit of a history lesson, just because it's interesting to me. The weather patterns were named in Peru by fishermen in the sixteen hundred's old school rat can you believe people are alive? Then warmer currents off the coast of South America meant fish became scarce of chasing nutrition packed cold water. El Nino means little boy, named for El Nino Jesus. Because the weather phenomenon peaked at Christmas. Ala Nina is little girl, meaning cooler water and fuller nets. That's that's on girl Boss. So what I think is funny and this is what kind of like captured my imagination with the little boy thing, is that an Australian climate scientist called doctor Jackie Brown. She put it this way, which totally made sense, because we don't know what's going to happen with Alnino. She said, El nino is Spanish for boy child, and I think a good analogy is that although we know we're getting a boy, every child can be different. So Elnino really going to entail? Will there be massive winds? Apparently the water is colder, which means is less moisture in the air. Anyway, it's going on. I just like the epimology of it. And if you know what that means, you know what that means.
Speaker 2: Sweetyboyes, guess what the writer's strike is over. Do not turn off your radios. This is actually quite important news if you want to know how this has impacted you or why you should care. We did do a podcast episode on it a couple of months ago. It's very informative, but for now I'll give you a quick summary. Basically, one hundred and forty eight days ago, that's like almost six months. Hollywood actors and writers are part of this thing called the WGA and the SAG, which is a union which ensures that the rules and regulations just their working conditions are fair and just for everybody involved, and you have to join these unions to repenty of the benefits. But most of the big celebrities do and they have four years now. Every now and then, these unions will communicate with the studios to ensure that they're on the same page, they're working towards the same goals, but also to get ahead of any future issues that may come about due to things changing society, like AI, like streaming. Now, the way that actors and writers have been paid for their work has been quite strange. As a non actor, non writer, you wouldn't even understand like the bits and pieces of how it's all calculated. It's not a flat fee, it's a residual per episode, per cson, per whatever. But that amount is so miniscule. We were hearing from actors and actresses. I mean, they're all just actors who were in lead role for lead TV shows on Netflix, on Hula, on whatever, getting paid like seven dollars a month for the work that they had done. People showing nips forever and ever to be broadcasted on TV and getting paid thirty dollars a month. It wasn't enough, and so they started striking There was also some conversation about the use of artificial intelligence in TV and movies, This idea that studios were kind of threatening or insinuating that there will come a time where we don't even need to use extras. We can just put them in the back with CGI, or we can pay. For example, I can go to Free Me and say I would love to use your likeness in a bunch of movies, but you need to be there. Don't worry about whether you can have it, all right, just give me your face and I'll use this forever. What do we pay someone for that? What is their body and their face worth? And so the strike is technically over. The tricky thing is like the exact language of what they've agreed upon the contract is not going to be shared with us. But what we can understand is that they've all agreed to increase the minimum way probably not livable still, but again it's been increased. They've increased pension and health fund rates. They've had improvements to terms for length of employment. So just because you can make the show quickly doesn't mean that we should be out of employment in three months instead of twelve. Just because you can make it quicker. And then also they were talking about the size of writing teams. They've been shrinking. They'd been there needs to be twelve people big and now there are two people into AI. It's not helpful. They need support and also better residuals for streaming and stuff like that. So it's a good thing, but we don't know the exact terms, the exact percentages, the exact dollar amount, but it's enough that people are going to stop striking now. In terms of all the shows and the movies that you were waiting for, they're still delayed by euphoria twenty twenty six. Yeah. Yeah, nothing's going to be ramping up very quickly because people stopped working for six months. They need to ease into payroll and who's hiring who for what, and who's available and all of these admin things that we don't really think about. But once the actors start and they're available, I guess we get our TV shows back. So praise the Lord.
Speaker 1: This is flex and froomes on CADA, it's flex and Firms on CATA. What we love here is to indoctrin eight people into the world of flex and frooms on ninety six point one cater if you're driving home. It's a pleasure to have you here. You were there for part of our cult. You are implicated and you are experiencing what is the bystander effect history of the making. So we're starting a cult. Flex is the leader, it's called redacted, and our byline is the third space where we prioritize getting near it and bonding with each other. So getting here it was a real theme of last year, and so we decided to do as well this year. But it definitely started last year before I went to Europe. Yes, we had been dried up. I believe there were some elements of dried upness in the studio. So we thought we have to get in near it.
Speaker 2: I think if I could just be really quickly. We were recognizing that life is fragile and short. In order to get the best out of it, we need to put the best in it. Yeah, so we did just that. It was an experiment of sorts, exposure therapy.
Speaker 1: Exposure therapy, great results, fantastic results for the whole team. So that's what that means. So last week we went through what's not allowed in our cult? Give us a rundown flix No.
Speaker 2: Last week we went through a list of things that weren't allowed, but we had some suggestions that were sent to us, and there were things that we were unsure. If someone said rat tails, I said, no, they can stay. I really love that. E scooters, I said they could stay as well. I love alternate forms of transport. But I think what is helpful is to talk about favorable applicants. Now, granted, everyone can be a member of the cult, but where you start to read benefits is if you're in line with the cults ethos and ethics.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So for me, I was thinking about it, and I said it a ton of times before. I love a principal person. Don't get this confused with someone who has strong opinions and wants everyone to yield to what they believe in. Not what I mean. Okay, you have strong beliefs and you want everyone to pana to what you believe in or to like think what you think because you think them. That's what I'm talking about. I love prince people who have strong beliefs and that inform exactly who they are and why they are that way, and it informs their own behavior. So you know, when I interact with people who are like, oh, I get up every day at six am. It's just what I do. It's what I do for life. Or when someone's like, oh, I'm a devout Catholic and it's just what I believe in, or I'm a devout environmentalist, I just really really believe that this is what we need to be doing. Like, those are good people to have around, not because they're going to inform what we believe in, but they're good mirrors for what it looks like to really believe in something. I think sometimes when you know, we spend a lot of time on the internet interacting with people. We know what it looks like to believe in something. We know what it looks like to seem like you care about certain things. But in practice they're gonna be very helpful when we're all doing nish hanging about. And young Amy over there spent the last thirty days building a tree house because she loves to be close to the trees in the canopy. Like we were talking about what we want to do, we didn't do it. Amy's done, yeah's built the treehouse. We need to what else for me?
Speaker 1: I would like, as you said, alternate forms of transport. I believe that we should have free e bikes with helmet attached, like.
Speaker 2: Weed the helmets, and I'm even thinking nepad's elbow pads just to have them available.
Speaker 1: I took a bike for the first time in Sydney on the weekend and I had to bring my own helmet. Yeah, and I thought if I didn't have this helmet, like, I can't get on one of these out the helmet.
Speaker 2: I see people just steal helmets though, and use them on other bikes. That's kind of do what you need to do, free rain, They're made for you. Anything else, Nah, that's pretty much it. I want people who are positively geared as well. I need some like bright, happy energy. I don't mean daft, empty heads. I just mean people who are like sometimes stuff sucks a lot, But how are we going to fix it? How we gonna make it better?
Speaker 1: How will we get on with life? What's that, mickey?
Speaker 3: Maybe people can send us their traits that they think are favorable. Maybe put a little question box up on Instagram, and then we can next week come back and say if it's in.
Speaker 1: Or out, I love love it, babe. Let's do that.
Speaker 3: Heads about Instagram, flex and firms, you've been listening to the Flex and Firms Daily Podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.