Speaker 1: Laura, Come on in.
Speaker 2: Hio everyone, Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, Tuesday, Mitch, Laura.
Speaker 4: Hi Britt.
Speaker 5: I have a question for you, guys, and it's a burning question. It's been sitting with me since the weekend. So I was on a flight on the weekend, and I want to know, if you're in the middle seat, do you then automatically have right of way when it comes to the armrest, Like, do you since you've got such little room, are the armres yours to put your elbows on.
Speaker 1: It's not that they're yours, but generally speaking, you would put your arms on their first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like it's the unspoken rule. If you're in the middle, you get the arm rest.
Speaker 2: It's such a crappy seat to get that, that's kind of the one consolation is that you actually get the arm rest.
Speaker 5: So I was sitting next to two There was two men who didn't know each other. One of the guys was kind of he wasn't big, but he was wearing a big jacket and he definitely took up a bit more room and he had both of his arms on the armrest, and it meant that I was a little bit to the side. And then so was the other guy who was near the window, but he had more room. He had the window seat. He turns around to the dude in the middle and goes, you need to move your arm. It's on my buttons, because he wanted to press the little.
Speaker 2: Is under the hatch.
Speaker 3: You need to get to your button.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can move his arm. He wasn't just about the buttons. He wanted him to not take his arm rest. He was like, it's my arm rest, and I was. I was like, I thought there was an unspoken.
Speaker 2: To be fair, it's one of those things where it's like musical chairs. If you're in the middle and your arms are on the armrest, they're yours, and the second they're off, the second they're off, the music stops your elbow.
Speaker 1: And then sometimes because I was on a flight a couple of days ago, sometimes it's like a bit of a battle.
Speaker 3: Your arms are on a little edge. It in you're trying to like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like your little corner of your elbow, your wienis is touching and you kind of push just got a WIENI yeah, you know what I do.
Speaker 4: Awenas.
Speaker 2: Awennas is the skin on your elbow it's a wienas.
Speaker 5: This is an educational day for me. Are you sure it's actually called awienas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the skin on the end of your elb always called awenas.
Speaker 3: I trust that this is something which would know for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a Wienis expert.
Speaker 5: You can always working like weren't you working in hospitals? Yeah, you're a radiographer.
Speaker 3: You never heard anyone ever called it a wienis.
Speaker 1: Though, because we refer to it as an electronym, which is their technical name for the bone in your arms.
Speaker 2: People. Grace has just said, I am correct. It's a slang term for the skin on the end of your elb.
Speaker 3: So it's slang.
Speaker 5: It's called your wenus off my arm rest, I'll put it on, depending on what mood you're in.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the show. We're going to have more of those generational gaps. The Generational Gap Guide is back today. This time. You millennials are schooling me my gen Z kids on things that I don't know, like coal, seam gas and coal.
Speaker 3: We're going to be here all day, sorry, schooling you on things don't know.
Speaker 2: Get it, I get you.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I got a hit on big time on the weekend, and like, it's just want a flex about it because I'm engaged now and it's something you want to talk at least you've.
Speaker 4: Still got it.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, I still got it. But I don't know if I'm.
Speaker 1: About it or if it's really weird because it wasn't your everyday hit.
Speaker 2: Why did you call off your current engagement.
Speaker 3: No, I'm definitely not doing that.
Speaker 2: I'll find out about that next. Welcome to the pickup Happy Tuesday. We're dying to hear about this, this romance that you started on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I didn't want to flex, guys, but here we are. I'm so glad you're making me say it. I went to a very fancy, classy bar and I got hit on, and I feel like I wanted to talk about it because it doesn't happen often anymore.
Speaker 5: I don't believe that it doesn't happen like and I mean, have you seen the size of this ring? Yeah, that's true. Actually it's kind of like a shield, like a man's shield. If they see it and they're like, oh, I can't afford one that big, I'll leave her alone.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I don't get hit on anymore and it felt nice, but I thought it was an unusual.
Speaker 3: Way to hit on someone.
Speaker 1: And I had this moment where I was.
Speaker 3: Like, wow, chivalry isn't dead.
Speaker 1: So my friend and I were sitting at this high table and we had an Amrito sour and the barm and comes over with a big bottle of champagne that he was popping at the table gave us put two glasses down and I said, oh, sorry, that's not for us. We didn't order that, and he said, oh, I know you didn't order, but it has been sent to your table for you. And I was like what. We started to look around and we're like, what do you mean who sent it? And he's like, well, he would rather you not know.
Speaker 3: It was. It was like a mysterious bottle.
Speaker 1: Of champagne Center and I was like hahaha, no, like who sent it because obviously you only send a drink if you're supposed to be over at the other end, being like like, you know it's me and he said no, no, he does.
Speaker 5: He doesn't want you to know. For Wall Street Style, and they're just sitting there waving.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so we were sort of looking around. I'm like, okay, cute.
Speaker 1: Then another drink comes once that's done, and I was like, Okay, this is ridiculous. You've got to tell us who it is. And he's like no, he was adamant, he doesn't want you to know, And in my head I was like, Okay, something awkward is going to happen. Eventually he's going to walk over to us or at the end of the night, like otherwise, what's the point.
Speaker 5: Are these are bottles of sh I'm hoping they closed drinks because all my thought goes through is is don't take an open from anyone.
Speaker 1: It was all from the bottle of champagne, and it was it wasn't the barman wasn't bringing over a drink. He was pouring it at the table, and he even said to us, is this okay? You're happy to receive it? And I was like, yeah, we're happy to receive it. So anyway, we were a few deep and it kept coming the whole night. We left that night without knowing who the masked bottleman was.
Speaker 3: I never knew who was sending the drinks all night, so.
Speaker 5: There was actually I don't know if you can count that as being hit on. Then he didn't really do any of the hitting.
Speaker 1: Did he Well, no, that's a very valid point.
Speaker 3: It's valid, Laura. Yeah, from anyone could have been your mum sending it. There were a few, No, because it was a man, and there were a few.
Speaker 1: I think what might have happened is I think some younger hot of chicks walked in and took his attention, and I think he diverted his attention. But I had this this part of me that was like, well, that's actually really nice because you sent us drinks all night. But it wasn't for any reason other than you wanted to make someone's night. You didn't come and be sleazy, you didn't hit on us. It was like, obviously you've got money to burn and you wanted to but don't know pay it forward. I don't know what that is, but I thought it was really sweet because there was no pressure on us. We just got drinks for nothing.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's particularly chivalrous to be sending someone drinks, not make yourself known, and then just kind of sit there in the corner watching them like that wouldn't be my if I was gonna say what chivalry is, I don't know if that's how I would kind of classify it.
Speaker 1: But it is because chivalry is just doing something nice for someone because he's only doing.
Speaker 4: It because you're hot, but he's not.
Speaker 3: He's not because he did because you're hot. No, because he didn't come and find me. He didn't want anything from it. That is chivalry.
Speaker 4: Maybe he wanted to see you very drunk and then he would have tried.
Speaker 3: There was someone a.
Speaker 1: Little bit older at the bar, and I think it was him, right because I was trying to look around.
Speaker 3: He was by himself, and I think he just had money. He was a bit older.
Speaker 1: I think he was like, I got nothing else to do, I'll just make some people's k eyes.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I started doing though?
Speaker 1: I started talking really animatedly so I could wave my ring around.
Speaker 3: I was like drinking the champagne I was. I was like throwing that around, you know, love champagne.
Speaker 2: My fiancee and he loved this experience.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I loved it, and I still got it. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: My chivary is live and well. Case in point. Thanks all right, Next on the pickup a walk down memory lane. If you want a nostalgia here, we're going to take you back to something that you would have done when you were a little kid. We're talking millennials. I even reckon boomers would have done this for their parents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but kids aren't doing it these days.
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing. It's a certain generation. We'll understand this nostalgia hit. Next on the pickup, Laura's over there on TikTok. Is this video that's got attention?
Speaker 5: It was on Instagram? Come on, I'm not on TikTok a millennial.
Speaker 2: That speaks to who you two are. I'm on TikTok. You to read the newspaper on Instagram.
Speaker 5: Bitch, don't you start this is for you because you are the one who constantly on this show brings up that we are old and you were gen Z and you were cool and you were hip and you were in the not Also, don't.
Speaker 1: Throw us under the bus. Most people consume their news on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Mitch, do know most millennials do. Most gen Z like myself and my community consume it for TikTok. But there's a ten year age gap between.
Speaker 5: Us, which you love to point out almost every show, and.
Speaker 3: It's not true.
Speaker 2: How old are you twenty eight? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nine years for me, mate, I'm taking every year when.
Speaker 3: I can get it all right.
Speaker 5: You guys might know Tanya Hennessy, so she's I mean, she's been a radio presenter.
Speaker 4: She's very very big on Instagram. She's a bit of a comedian.
Speaker 5: But she has had a viral video recently pointing out something that US millennials are very familiar with. And I don't even think you would ever have to have experienced this. Midche have a listen to this.
Speaker 6: It's really crazy, gen Z, You'll never get this for millennials.
Speaker 2: This is a deep cut.
Speaker 6: Why did we call our parents on the phone at their workplace? Like we would literally just interrupt their workday to ask the really dumb questions. Sometimes you'd have to talk to a receptionist before you got to your actual parent, And then you get on the phone to.
Speaker 2: Your parent and go, oh, can Sarah come over.
Speaker 4: I remember this as a kid.
Speaker 5: My mum was a school teacher, didn't have a mobile phone, and I would have.
Speaker 4: To I'd have to call up.
Speaker 5: I'd get through to the receptionist, she would go down to the classroom get my mom.
Speaker 4: My mum would have to come up to where the phone was.
Speaker 5: You'd wait on the phone for seven minutes for your mom to come, and then you'd be like, hey mom, whatever.
Speaker 4: The question was. That was absolutely stupid, But I lived this. This was part of my life.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 1: I always just called my dad as a real state agent, and Missus James would be the woman that answered. She was a secretary to about a hundred and rest in peace, and she would go and find my dad and my dad be with a client and take ages.
Speaker 3: And he'd come and I'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, Dad, I'm just looking for an extra thirty cents so I can get two dollars so I can go and get two dollars worth a hot chips. Do you know where there's any money around the house? And he'd be like, Princess.
Speaker 3: You can't call me at workville.
Speaker 4: It's kind of so that I can.
Speaker 3: It's like, I need the HOTIP could be an emergency.
Speaker 2: If I want to call my dad. Guys, what there's a thing that's been invented called mobile phones, And I can also just text my dad. I can just go hey Dad, you know what? I could also DM in my Instagram.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you've never lived this pain. I know that you have a mobile phone, which I'm well aware you're always on it. We didn't have one growing up, Like when I was at school. It wasn't until I was sixteen that I got a mobile phone. So I all through primary school this was my life, and.
Speaker 1: Use the phone and the Internet simultaneously.
Speaker 3: It was one or the other.
Speaker 1: If you were on the internet on downloading a song illegally on LimeWire, you had to get.
Speaker 4: I had because it was dialer.
Speaker 2: This is how do I know dial up?
Speaker 3: You only know that from these segments where we've paid it out.
Speaker 2: No, I've heard of it. Listen, it's sure all right. I don't know why I'm so defensive. You want to start a generational No, we can exist in peace. I can tell you how to look younger, and you can tell me I don't have a good I.
Speaker 3: Look younger than you much.
Speaker 5: You can talk about when the world was flat. No, you I feel like millennials. I feel like we're under attack, Like we're the ones who are made out to be losers. We're made out to be old that we don't get Instagram.
Speaker 2: You've got the classic millennial pause on your Insta stories. Whenever before you speak, you'll go, hey, guys, so much. She got the hiccups or something.
Speaker 3: I want to wear my ankle socks in peace, That's what I want.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brittney Ankles was wearing boots the other day.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm doing it right, but good they're inside out out.
Speaker 2: That's not a generational thing. That's just stupid.
Speaker 3: I feel like I have a generational cap with my films.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 3: Actually that's another story.
Speaker 2: What's the age Pete?
Speaker 3: Five years?
Speaker 2: He's younger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's younger, thank you. He's younger. But he all the time is schooling me on stuff.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes I'll get dressed and he'll be like, babe, you can't wear those socks with it, And I'm like what And he makes me change and sometimes he makes me tie my lass differently, and like he's reill into fashion and I don't get a.
Speaker 3: Lot of that stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's general. Is tying a shoe lace is a certain way generational? I've lost it. It depends on the shoe type.
Speaker 2: Yeahs in Scotland, so maybe it's a weird European thing, you know. I don't know. Well that is why we're bringing back this everybody. We're very excited. We launched it last week, but next on the.
Speaker 3: Show, Generational Gap Guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's your turn, the millennial schooling the gen z s.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's finally our turn again, right, exactly the way it should be.
Speaker 4: Bitch, you go to learn a few things.
Speaker 3: You're gonna chop those socks, right or.
Speaker 2: Lora and Britain gonna take some cowtrait and we're going to come back guys.
Speaker 4: With our really strong bones.
Speaker 3: After our bone needs to be.
Speaker 2: Scared of this. I'll pick up. Listen, if you were listening to us last week, you may have missed me schooling Britain Laura on the brat summer. The culture that is taking over the world obviously pioneered by gen Z general.
Speaker 5: Nothing more embarrassing than us trying to learn how to do that dance.
Speaker 2: The little bit dance.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like it's like love heart falling down. It isn't an apple, that's not like the Apple dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll good to know that Britt was listening anyway, I did you last week? So girls, I believe it's it's your turn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why we brought this back.
Speaker 2: Generational Gap GUARDE.
Speaker 5: Well, how the tables have turned, Mitch Jury so being the millennials that Britain I are.
Speaker 4: Mitch.
Speaker 5: You you love to hold onto the idea that you're a gen z And I have a few questions for you, A few terms, A few things us millennials have through, we have survived through, and I'm wondering whether you even have any clue what half these things are or whether you've experienced them yourself.
Speaker 3: We don't mean the Cold War, No, that happened.
Speaker 2: You guys got any humor? This is gonna be dry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is like, like what because they let the skin on my legs, But I was like, no one catches. I need to moisturize because I'm old, all right? Starting off number one on the list, Mitch Jury, what is napster?
Speaker 2: Napster? Do you know this, Brittany? I mean, yes, it's a Washington.
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to say washing detergent?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Brittany? What is napster?
Speaker 3: It's like, do you know what LimeWire is?
Speaker 2: Do you download music illegally.
Speaker 3: From and viruses?
Speaker 5: But with it it's only if someone else has it, so then you share it with people who have it in their files already.
Speaker 2: Right, I've never heard of that?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, that that's what napster is. So if Brittany had a song.
Speaker 5: Like on her computer and you had Napster, I could get the songs from her computer. Yeah, so it was like stealing music from each other and also viruses. It's almost like the early.
Speaker 1: Days of an iclo a cloud, but not because you could only put one song in it.
Speaker 5: It also got shut down in two thousand and one because it was super illegal and all of the music companies hated it.
Speaker 2: Sounds it. I don't know what nap star.
Speaker 4: What's a Gregory's.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a it's an old man, it is.
Speaker 4: It is an old man.
Speaker 3: Don't know what gregor know what Gregory's is.
Speaker 5: Gregory's is the thing that we used to get from A to B with. Everybody drove around with a Gregory's map in their car because nobody had a GPS. If you had a map in your car, I guarantee you it was a Gregory's.
Speaker 4: Do you know what? You'd have to pull over to the side of the road.
Speaker 5: You'd have to figure out if you had it upside down or sideways, draw your line, look at your streets, look at the longitude and latitude.
Speaker 4: And then figure out where you're going.
Speaker 3: My dad used to write my maps by hand. I was way older than you, but.
Speaker 5: Your dad was reading the Gregory's and then it was like simplifying off the top.
Speaker 3: Of his head.
Speaker 1: My dad, when I had to drive from Port mcquarie, my hometown, to Sydney, he would write me on a piece of paper literally every single.
Speaker 3: Turn to where I had to go.
Speaker 1: So I had a piece of paper that said drive about forty five minutes. Do you see a turn off to the left called this Wow, the whole way five hours I drove like that.
Speaker 2: You know what I had? I had map request, which was you've got It was a website. You'd go in and you'd put your A destination, B destination, but then you'd print out the directions. You'd put them on the passenger seat of the car.
Speaker 5: That's slightly better than a Gregory's. Gregory's just had everything for everywhere.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 5: We think, all right, okay, what about taking a camera with you on a night out, like an actual physical camera, whether that was one of those ones that's like the not an insta camera, but the one with film that you take and.
Speaker 4: Get developed like a canon or a digital camera.
Speaker 1: But then uploading every single photo from that night out into an album on Facebook. Every night I had an album on Facebook Saturday Night album of drunk photos?
Speaker 2: Was that just a Britain war thing? Every everyone got just before ms Mitch MS Messenger you have my first girlfriend on.
Speaker 3: MSN ASL you get home from schooling location, Yeah, you jump.
Speaker 2: On, but got shut down. Like six months into my first use, I was devastating.
Speaker 3: A lot of dark chat rooms going on.
Speaker 2: Cud Penguin. Did you guys have used Club Penguin?
Speaker 4: Never heard of it? Never heard of it.
Speaker 2: Club Penguin took over from MSN. It was the all the young people are like, yeah, yeah, yeah. Cod Pengkin was a rough drot. I spoke to some real weird adult penguins on that side.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have well, I mean it kind of links into this a little bit. But this is how I got my first boyfriend. I met him in real life and then I looked him up in the Yellow Pages.
Speaker 4: I looked for Bradley Thomas.
Speaker 5: I looked for Thomas, the only one that was in o Flats at the time, and then I called him up on the landline and I said, hello, does Bradley Thomas live there.
Speaker 3: It's Laura Burn And that's how I got a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: It's yellow, the old Thomas the only time because you have to call like five, being like his brad there, Sorry to bother you.
Speaker 3: Like Thomas is a really really common name as well.
Speaker 4: I call it like fifteen.
Speaker 2: Oh gen Z, don't know, how could they have gone?
Speaker 1: Really kind of millennials mon, yeah, the boys