Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Jack saw something yesterday. I've always been fascinated by mixed businesses. There's a whole load of these places where you can get a trophy and also get new keys cut. And I don't know whether one day someone board when there was no one coming in for trophies, shoved his key in the lathe or something, then realized that he could copy a key. Hang on a minute, it's a whole new revenue stream.
Speaker 3: The keycat always has to pair with something else.
Speaker 2: They got the shoes, and you can also get a dart so karate trophy with someone kicking someone in their head. You can do all those. But I love miss mixed businesses. But you saw one yesterday.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know how these two fit together, but we drove past a business offering costume hire and dog grooming.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so random, it's like they've just been thrown together. So what came first, the costume of High or the dog grooming.
Speaker 3: I guess all I think is now that we've been wasting our time separately going to the cost High just does costumes and taking our dog Luna to the dog groomer who just does dog grooming. Thankfully, now we can do it all in the one location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you think about it, costume high isn't a busy thing every single day, is it? They must get sudden bursts on a Thursday and a Friday head of a party at the weekend, and you think, oh my god, I haven't got an outfit. I'll go what is happening? Monday is a day it gets all dumped back that leaves you with a quiet Monday afternoon and there really dead Tuesday Wednesday? Are you seeing people walking their dogs going? Owners that care too much about that they can be ripped off?
Speaker 1: What could make.
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 2: Right? Let's see if we can form then a top ten of mixed businesses here that you've seen. What have you seen here in Melbourne? Give us a call this morning nine four one, one oh four three or anywhere. Businesses that are just one thing, they are two things, maybe even more.
Speaker 1: The christ John O'Connell breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Andy, I'm gonna put you in charge of stocks for Heroes God your storemaster, Jack Kay. Another slab has been gone to Andy up in Brisbane.
Speaker 3: Thank you Andy. Five fifty five ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Order to confirm for my carto brackets, not carton, that's not what we call them here. It's a carto in Brisbane. We don't need another thing. We don't need about eight different variations now in Australia. Okay, but Andy, thank you very very much to support that is awesome.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We're looking for your mixed businesses. It's a business operation where they don't just have one option, they have two. What have you seen ninety four one four one four three yesterday? Jack? What did you see.
Speaker 3: Costume hire and doug grooming in the same building?
Speaker 2: Who puts those together? Miranda? What about you? Hey, Christian, I'm Danny Lawn.
Speaker 4: I have an ice cream shot with.
Speaker 5: The laundry mat.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. You take your sheets to get washed and you can have some ice cream. Again, the mind goes to what came first with the shift in the ice.
Speaker 1: Cream, and.
Speaker 3: We can fit a few washing shes in here.
Speaker 2: But the washings are so hot, aren't they? The heat when you go in those places, the service wash going on, you think it wouldnt all the ice cream?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the glass wall in between.
Speaker 2: Them, so of course they thought this through. They're the experts, not us. We haven't got the vision im as you're going on Shark Tank with that. You like coat stream, like clean bed cheeks, you get both, Miranda. That's great, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Good and have a good day.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Rachel.
Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning?
Speaker 2: Are you yeah? I'm good, Rachel. Thanks for you on the show. What have you seen in a mixed business? And every morning?
Speaker 6: Why drive pass the business in Pray on Buckley Street in foot scrap it's a clothing altering store as well as the table tennis store.
Speaker 2: Amazing, believable. Now clothing alteration and businesses where we are Richmond, there are loads that many around the corner. There's every shop. It's clothing alterations. I can understand that rare, very rare to see your table tennis store. You know how many? How many table tennis is the actual table tennis set up are being shifted a year. But now clothing alterations. Go and get your dress or your suit altered, and why not play some table tennis?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not? What a time to be alive? Rachel. That is great. That's in folks Gray where we're making note of that one. Rachel, thanks for spotting that and sharing it with us this morning. Have a good day you mate, have we got Graham?
Speaker 5: Good morning guys. I've got a good one for you as well. Just off Bell Street, Priston, you can pick yourself up a custom made barn door and a pair of ug boots.
Speaker 2: Everything about your what you just said is amazing. It's a custom made barn door as well. And no one knows factory anything you want with your barn door.
Speaker 3: And I hope they're bundling the products into sales like buy two custom made barn doors, get.
Speaker 2: Or always the tea on the barn door. The ug boots are expensive. It's to barn doors are actually giving away as an extra That is fantastic. Whereabouts is that a game?
Speaker 5: Just off Bell Street, Preston to.
Speaker 3: Me and may I can get some dug boots and barn doors if you would like tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Custom made barn doors as well. There you go, all right, Graham, thanks for doing that one. Very funny, cool, Thanks buddy. If you've got any more of these mixed businesses, we can't get enough this morning. Nine four one O four three. That is one to beat though, custom made barn doors and ugg boots go figure.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So we are now currently obsessed for the rest of this year with mixed businesses. These are businesses that don't just have one speciality, they offer something else as well. We've heard about in Preston a place that sells custom made barn doors okay, but with ug boots as well. And in footscray off and coothing alterations and table tennis gear, which is amazing. Thank you very much to Danny. Was too busy you were, John put air with us. We need to let us know about this amazing place. Pet crematorium and car Mechanics now I'm willing to guess that they originally were car mechanics during a lunch break, start to just brain someone about how can we make more business. It's a tough year at the moment. And thought prep crematorium. Anything we can use here who is grieving their beloved pet but also want to get their axe or sorted out.
Speaker 7: This is my new favorite one. Pet crematorium and car Mechanic. I need to speak to the actually to work out just what goes on there. That's amazing. Also, someone called in about motorbikes and haircuts, a place that actually sells you a motorcycle and also cuts you. How wondering if they were just selling motorbikes, but people kept a lot of the customers kept saying that the helmet, my hair's too big for the helmet. Go over there and get your nice trimser complimentary with that bike. These are great, Thank you very very much, keithon coming, Christian. I've got a great suspicion that my local pizza shop does have a dual business. Although the second business I don't think strictly advertised or legal, it would appear that is definitely the stronger side of the business. Okay, all right, let's go to lies David.
Speaker 1: Good morning, morning, Christian.
Speaker 2: How are you. I'm good David. What have you seen in Laverton?
Speaker 8: I live in Laverton, but I was referring to Footscray, which seems to be the hotbed for this. So just down the road from the table tennis clothing red by the operation place, you've got a burger Johnny that also does tax returns.
Speaker 2: This is genius. What a great way to liven up the dunness, the mundanity of doing your taxi journey. If you knew you could have a big old cheeseburger fries.
Speaker 8: I reckon, it's the first big thing you can you can you can dine while your while your money's been whild away.
Speaker 3: All of them. Just beg the question what came first?
Speaker 2: That is a great one. But you're right, David. It's all happening in footscray visionaries and thing. It's our Silicon Valley. All right, David, that's an awesome one. Thank you very much. Cool Lucy, good.
Speaker 1: Morning, Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 6: Here you going.
Speaker 2: I'm good. So what have you got?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: Down Bellarette Road in Deer Park, I went out to dinner walk past a supermarket that had a beautician, but more specifically, they were advertising eyebroil threading. So while you go in and have your milk, get your milk, you can have your eyebroils done.
Speaker 2: But I've never had my eyebrowls threaded, but my wife and daughters have them, the daughters. But it was so painful, it is.
Speaker 6: It's worth the child labor about having a kid.
Speaker 2: Having a kid, actually being a parent. It does feel like child labeled sorts at times.
Speaker 6: But I'll tell me I had two boys and then I had twin girls.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: As child labor.
Speaker 5: Having a baby.
Speaker 2: It was the excitement of the spotting. They have the mixed business all right, take it easy, my friend. Thanks fine, bye now, Emily, good morning, good morning today. I'm good. So we're looking for mixed businesses and what have you got for us?
Speaker 4: So on the way home, I drive one Stairs Street every night and one of the shops I drive past has an op shop and a nightclub together.
Speaker 2: An op shore and a nightclub.
Speaker 4: Yeah, both in the same building. From what I can say, they run at the same time as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, you can go and get some a brand new outfit. If you're not if you're not smart enough, go down the op shop downstairs, change coming with songs. Okay, go by a hard shoe down at the Salvos.
Speaker 3: You can do costume changes during the night.
Speaker 2: Emily, that's a great one. Thank you very much. Andrew, good morning, Good morning, Christian. How are you, Yeah, I'm good Andrew, Welcome to the show. What have you spotted?
Speaker 5: Look, there's a a car wash and sushi restaurant on Bell Street in Coburg.
Speaker 2: Actually it like a drive through. It is actually car washing. Just as you're going into the car wash, you shout your order through in the other Sunday car wash. You got the sushi.
Speaker 5: Look, they've got a captive audience for half an hour. Christian, I think you're sitting there. You've got your car being washed as a sushi restaurant right there.
Speaker 2: Not a sushi's not really cupped either, so you probably could have a car wash and the food's ready.
Speaker 5: Well, exactly right. I actually had a friend send me a photo from America as a bit of a laugh on Facebook and say, hey, check this place out, and I was like, yeah, that's about five from my house mate.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Astralia.
Speaker 3: I lived in a sushi in car washing place in Coburg as well, and I just can't help but think I don't want to eat the sushi there. If they're doing car washers as.
Speaker 2: Their main business, what you think is about Sudson. I'm sure that is not the case.
Speaker 5: Don't you want to She's really good. I've always thought, did I actually get it brought in? Is that just a part of the model, or you know, how does that actually work?
Speaker 3: I find it hard to trust. Like raw fish, you don't want to muck around with if they're doing car washes their main focus, and then doing sushi at the back.
Speaker 2: Now, I think at their recruiting school that have some people that are destined for sushi business. Some people haven't got those skills. They don't want to waste them. They go, you can run the car washing business.
Speaker 3: It's like the sorting hat on Harry Potter car washers for you.
Speaker 2: Sushi sushi is in the web of life for everyone. They're still a car that needs washing. For you, you can still be of use. Andrew, that's a great one. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast