Speaker 1: The Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Radio work, our windows, my world risen the dust, only good babs all day.
Speaker 1: I don't much, but yeah I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'll biguet and what I want. It don't matter where does This.
Speaker 2: Is the Pickup? Happy Friday everyone, It's the Pickout with Brett Harkley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 4: I am genuinely so excited about this weekend. So often I have no plans and no friends, but this weekend, I do.
Speaker 1: You have me and we have plans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Laura and.
Speaker 4: I are going to the F one, the car racing, which I'm so excited about.
Speaker 1: Are you particularly into cars?
Speaker 3: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: I grew up watching the F one every weekend with my dad because he would sit down for out.
Speaker 3: It would be his whole day. And it's not to know. Yep.
Speaker 4: He's a huge race car, like huge inter race cars. So it was always on my screens. And I wasn't necessarily into it, but I was into it because it was something I watched with my dad, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So it's not like I frothed the F one, but it's just what we did.
Speaker 2: I had never paid a lot of attention to it until obviously being in a relationship with my husband Matt, who is obsessed, like he's always followed it, and then when I found that out about him, I found it really unusual. I was like, you, you're a closet redhead. So and he really likes his cars too, which was also a revelation when I discovered.
Speaker 3: That a rev elation revs what.
Speaker 1: I didn't even pick up on that.
Speaker 4: If you haven't watched it yet, Laura or anyone, you don't have to be a car head to enjoy it. But the f one documentary, I think it's Drive to Survive. I really thoroughly enjoyed it, and.
Speaker 3: It's so like bitchy and like what, yes, it's not what you think.
Speaker 4: It's about all of the race car drivers and being swapped in between teams and taking people's jobs and.
Speaker 3: Like it's really not what you think it's going to be. I think that you'd be really into it.
Speaker 1: The internal car scandal.
Speaker 3: The politics of the car.
Speaker 2: We also get to go and see Tones and Eye this Saturday night too, so it's gonna be a big weekend. Lots of things to update you guys on when we come back on Monday. Now, look, I question whether or not we should talk about this, But.
Speaker 3: I nah, I think we talk about it's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether or not I should be thrilled or offended.
Speaker 1: Like I'm still sitting on the fence. I fluctuate between the two.
Speaker 2: Recently, Britain, I came into work and as a gift, it was a gift.
Speaker 3: It was a beautiful gift.
Speaker 1: Sitting on taking a big box, not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I love a gift, love a surprise gift.
Speaker 2: Like especially when that gift is skincare. You do too, britt Like you love a bit of skincare, sick for it.
Speaker 1: So here is this big old.
Speaker 2: Box with skin care inside from a brand that I had not heard of before, mind you, But I was like cool, happy to try, very excited about this. And I excitedly opened the box and there were many layers, lots of packaging, and then I got it out and I was like.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a serum.
Speaker 1: Love serums, delightful.
Speaker 2: I need a bit of serum on my face that's gonna make me feel glowy and fresh.
Speaker 3: Quite a niche serum.
Speaker 2: And then I read the back of the box of the serum that had been so generously sent to our work, and it said this, it is a transformative serum designed for women over forty navigating menopause. And I read that and I was like, well, I'm still technically under VADI and I am.
Speaker 1: As far as i'm aware, I'm not yet in menopause.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: I had to have a laugh because I was like, I also was like, this a backhanded compliment.
Speaker 3: I mean, you, Laura, I'm gonna say, I get it. You've got your kids.
Speaker 1: What do I scream menopause?
Speaker 3: Dude, I mean the kid's part, not the age. But I'm like cool for me, I'm publicly, like, have fertility issues. I'm doing IVF.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's IVYERI menopause.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe I am. Maybe that's not why it's not happening for me.
Speaker 2: Maybe I am in medialul True. I joke, and it's not a funny thing to.
Speaker 3: Joke about it. It's not at all. Take that back. No, I actually said to myself, maybe I am in perimenopause and that's why they've sent it.
Speaker 4: But I was like, I'm publicly trying to do IVF and someone sent me in menopause cream.
Speaker 3: I was like, have I missed the boat?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I got this, and my instant reaction was to feel offended. And then I kind of checked myself and I was like, why is it that, at thirty eight years old, I find the idea of menopause so offensive because the reality is so many women do go through early menopause or they go through perimenopause can take.
Speaker 1: Up many years, and like, forty is not far off.
Speaker 2: Like I turned thirty nine in a couple of weeks, so like, to be fair, the brand is not far off being you know, aligned with the age that I'm at.
Speaker 3: I'm still thirty seven.
Speaker 1: But I think that there were.
Speaker 2: I just want to say the reference, there was something about receiving it that maybe it wasn't so much even the menopause reference. I think there was something about it that made me really realize my age. And I think I was like processing that in real time because I also kind of I read it and then I felt offended, and then I was like, Oh, it looks good, I'll probably use it.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it looks like a brilliant cream. It's got some really good things, and I think it's got some good peptides in it.
Speaker 4: I'm one hundred percent going to use it as much as we loll and say we're not in menopause.
Speaker 3: I think it would be really good for us kids.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's my question. I mean, you don't have to call up, you can if you want to. But would you be offended?
Speaker 1: Is this a normal thing? Be offended byra We're just taking this too personal.
Speaker 3: Well, now that you.
Speaker 4: Said out loud that you're about to turn thirty nine and it's for forty year old people, I grow up, Laura, Yeah, for you, I think that's a stretch for me at thirty seven.
Speaker 3: I think it's I've got a couple of years left.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's because, like, no female wants to be aged up, Like we've been so conditioned to think that being younger is better, younger skin is hotter, all this sort of you know crap. But reality is is, like no one wants to be thought of as being older than what they are. And I guess like receiving something that's specifically targeted for women who are in a different stage of life, a stage that we're all told we should be frightened about, there's something that feels quite obvious about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, we are grateful, thank you for the cream. Yeah, I'm processing anyway.
Speaker 2: If Cedar Phil wants to send some stuff my way, I suse that's fourteen year olds, right?
Speaker 1: Is that what you use when you're like young and.
Speaker 3: Well was heading to Keem's warehouse. There's loads of stuff in there.
Speaker 2: Now there is I guess the kind of assumption that as the longer in a relationship, the more that you're your love life kind of winds and dies off.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's an assumption. I think it's pre standard.
Speaker 4: I think that's absolutely what happens, like you stay in love, but maybe the chemistry and the want to trip each other's clothes off and all of the above sort of like plateaus a little bit over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we talk about this quite a bit on our podcast that we have Life on Cut Podcasts. And that's because I mean, it started off as a sex and relationships podcast. So one of the big questions is like, how do you keep desire alive and a long term relationship?
Speaker 1: How do you keep the spark alive?
Speaker 3: Is it normal?
Speaker 1: Is it even possible to do so?
Speaker 2: And many of the experts that we've spoken to over the years have said yes, it is possible, but like it requires burk blah blah blah, all that sort of.
Speaker 3: Stuff bla blah blah blah. We don't need to tell you about that.
Speaker 1: We don't want you to keep you here to fix your love life.
Speaker 2: But I did come across an interesting study and it turns out maybe your pajamas have something to do with the fact that your sex life is dwindling.
Speaker 3: Oh we're gonna blame our pajamas now, Wow, no one is safe.
Speaker 1: I have a question, how do you sleep at night?
Speaker 3: Bret? What with my morals or my life choices? Well, how do you sleep at that?
Speaker 2: No, if you're because you obviously do long distance with your partner Ben, he lives overseas. But when you're together, how do you sleep? Do you wear pajamas? Do you wear a pair of.
Speaker 3: Undies a trap in?
Speaker 4: When I'm at home alone, I sleep in underpants and like a pajama top. Something that's comfortable, like a really nice soft cotton is my choice.
Speaker 2: Love the airy breezy Yeah, I love that, but I do like the legs to be free same because I want to kick around.
Speaker 3: I sleep in running.
Speaker 4: Man, not no g strings. To bear, but you cannot sleep in a g banger. That's like defying the rules of physics. So when when I'm with my fiance Ben, I'm either nude or just in undies, but I never have a top half on ever, So sometimes.
Speaker 3: The undies are like a bit of a sexy I don't have to say safety net. I was gonna say, it's more of a comfort.
Speaker 2: So sorry, am I giving I met my girl friends here. The thing is is that there's a study that's.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm in a long term relationship with my loving husband who I am very comfortable with, and I sleep in underwear and a T shirt pretty much every night.
Speaker 3: You sleep gesturing, don't you no? Never, my body would not allow it.
Speaker 2: That's crazy suck after two kids far out, I'm never getting asleep. Lose it anyway, that's too much information for everyone. But I sleep in like an ugly T shirt, and I do I know that this is like I shouldn't say it's a protection mechanism, but it's like, if I need to go to sleep, I'm going to sleep. I'm not there for fun times at night time. I just want to get into bed, I want to roll over. I'm tired, and I know that if I was to fall asleep completely nude, it would be misunderstood as giving a signal that maybe I'd be more into other things than what I am into my sleeping.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's given a signal. Hang on, what's the point of this chat.
Speaker 2: The point of this chat is this study that's come out has said that wearing sleepwear like fleece onesies, flannel pjs, yes, that it might make you feel relaxed, but it is absolutely killing your sex life. It is sending a message that attraction is not a priority. There's a relationship coach, her name is Channa Bromley, and she's said that when you choose comfort over seduction, it can impact the chemistry between you and your partner. And I would agree, but I argue it's not always about being To be fair, I did exaggerate a lot.
Speaker 4: I actually have this really old grungy T shirt. I whear it's not really nice soft cotton pajamas. It's an old ac DC shirt. But when I'm with Ben walking around the house to go to Ben, I will just put his clothes on. So I think that that's probably pretty repulsive to him to look at me in his own clothes.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 3: I think guys like that their own clothes. Yeah, I think that that's fine.
Speaker 1: Is that hot? Maybe? I don't know. I wear Matt's clothes? Does he find out? Who knows? Let's ask him.
Speaker 2: But apparently sixty two percent of people who continue to sleep nude with their partners say that they have more satisfying intimacy than those who wear I don't know, maybe like your cozy Peter Alexander pajamas have a bear on the front.
Speaker 4: I'm not convinced we needed to study to figure out that sleeping naked like you're more inclined to get it on than sleeping in like old discussing clothes.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just kind of think like there's so many things that we can feel guilty about. Surely, after ten years of being with your partner, your arms, you're allowed to wear pajamas that are just for comfort and aren't for sex appeal? Like not everything that you need to do should be about seduction.
Speaker 4: Why don't you go and try it out tonight, Laura, see what happens, Go to bed, no shirt on, little g banger, and report back, because that's the only way to really solidify this study.
Speaker 2: The problem that I have is that my husband comes to bed too late. So I go to bed at nine thirty at the moment, do you yeah, nine thirty, ten o'clock, But he comes to bed at eleven thirty at night, and so like for me, my argument is like, that is an unrealistic expectation. If you come to bed at eleven thirty at night, ain't nothing happening except sleeping.
Speaker 3: So if he comes to bed at nine thirty, it's on the yeah, then until nine thirty three.
Speaker 1: You've got until nine thirty until nine forty five. With that window is not happened, and it's not happened.
Speaker 3: In power, the shirt's gone back on.
Speaker 1: Literally.
Speaker 2: We are playing this the Pickups Quest for the Best. All week we have been teasing our competition for the Quest of the Best, which is so many of you have written in you have entered this and it is us trying to find the unsung heroes of Australia. And there have been some truly incredible people who have been nominated. But the other day we had a guy named Adam call up to nominate a woman named Fiona who works at his local pizza shop. Who has just been the most incredibly generous, kind a wonderful listener. But she's made such an impact on him that that was the reason why he wanted to nominate her. And it is our time to give her a call and to let Fiona know that she has won a competition that she never even knew that she was entered in, and she's gonna win five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: I hope she's not listening to the radio right now when you speak, gonna be awkward.
Speaker 3: She's at work and she's got a plane, but we're gonna call.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna just try and like order a pizza, couple of pizzas from us and see what she does, and then I will surprise it with my let's give her a buzz.
Speaker 5: Gonzos. How can I up here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Hi, I just wanted to order a couple of pizzas for pick up later.
Speaker 3: I know you're not quite open yet. Is that all right if I order for like seven pm?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, it is? He no problem.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks?
Speaker 5: What can I do for you?
Speaker 3: Well, what's like your most popular pizza?
Speaker 5: So we've got like a gourmet sort of vegetarian pizza. It's got like roasted egg plant, roasted fire capskins, fett cheese, bit of pesto on it as well.
Speaker 4: To throw that one in ye, and then that you had like a Caesar pizza.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure that's pretty popular as well.
Speaker 4: Is it weird to put pineapple on a Caesar pizza?
Speaker 5: In you? I don't think that's weird at all. I think that's pretty cool. So bafet salty combo with the creamy so yeah, yeah, could work.
Speaker 3: And that's it for me, Thank you.
Speaker 5: No problem though. Also, can I just if it's okay with you? We've changed the recipe for our canole's just we've had like supply issues what have you? Alright, if I like bring you a pack of canolis and then you just let us know, like if they tastes nice or if they sort of taste a bit funny.
Speaker 4: I would love nothing more than to try that. Thanks so much, and so sorry? How much was that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just working it out now. Sorry. We've just got this new p COOS system, so I'm just a little bit slow.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Oh we've got a deal going Oh oh easy easy, okay, No, that's free, don't worry. Just take it out of my pay don't worry.
Speaker 3: I heard that you're not taking it out of you if.
Speaker 5: They even pay me anyway, So just take it out of my love. No, I'm just chatting to my brother. I'm just I don't usually work here often. I come here when he's a bit short. So all together that comes to forty three.
Speaker 3: Ninety okay, perfect. Does anyone ever give you a tip?
Speaker 1: Fion?
Speaker 3: Because that was so nice.
Speaker 1: What you just said.
Speaker 5: A lot of old people say I'm nice. I don't know. I just think it's just nice to be a good person. I suppose.
Speaker 4: How does a five thousand dollar tip sound to you?
Speaker 5: Oh? What's going on?
Speaker 1: I've just won five thousand dollars. It's written Laura from the pickup?
Speaker 5: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: And you you don't even know this, but you were nominated by one of your amazing customers, Adam, who honestly has just said that you are the most generous and kind and wonderful human that he has such a joy and pleasure.
Speaker 1: Of coming in and seeing you every week when a customer money, I actually have.
Speaker 5: I brought this in when my brother called me. He said his wife went home because the kids got sick from school, and so he's like, come in and help. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I'll just quickly, like I didn't have lunch at work to go, so I just quickly came home and then just got changed and then came here and then I was like, oh, I'll get these cards because maybe Adam might show up. I haven't seen has he been in number?
Speaker 1: You said, can you.
Speaker 5: Give you a free piece, giving a lifetime a free peep?
Speaker 1: Okay, congratulations.
Speaker 5: Honestly, thousand bucks, five thousand dollars are you like, I'm shaking look at that.
Speaker 3: You did just try and give me for free.
Speaker 4: Teller Connoli for free out of your pay so I think you deserve it.
Speaker 5: I don't know where to look, and I'm sweating, and oh my god, we'll take you sweaty for your own.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we had so many people enter this competition, and I mean it was the purpose of it was to try and find people in the community who were just spreading joy and making people feel amazing.
Speaker 1: And it really is the biggest compliments you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, crazy and yeah, I just don't know what to say, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's also a very big.
Speaker 5: Minecraft for you and three pieces and Harry Potters I've got for you as well, the best.
Speaker 1: It's a very big thank you to Disney as well.
Speaker 2: So Disney snow Whites only in cinemas on March twenty.
Speaker 3: And they are people who this week Laura. So you're crazy, You're welcome, You're so weak.
Speaker 2: Al Right, back to work, I reckon, you get to go home today, Fionna.
Speaker 3: Take it break.
Speaker 5: I'm just now. There's all confite. I've got to sleep. If we've gone back to work, reading more work from Oh thanks guys.
Speaker 1: What an angel? Well, look, guys, if you missed any of the show, you want to catch up at