Speaker 1: On Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Flex and Free Me for your head top. Life is a lot. I was exfoliating the other day and I was thinking, why why do we do anything? Not in a nihilistic way, because I just can't stand nihilism, But just when you stop yourself in the middle of a routine and you're like, what am I doing this for?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: Who is this for?
Speaker 2: Is it for me?
Speaker 1: I don't know a routine, huh, any kind of routine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like sometimes you find yourself like, for example, sometimes I think we might have been talking about it. The other day, I was thinking about being polite, and I was like, who's that for? Who does that serve for me? To be polite? When I don't see your polite. One thing I've been challenging myself to do, based in our rules for life, is to not over over perform how much I like an acquaintance.
Speaker 1: Like I really, world is not ready for this.
Speaker 2: I know because I've really struggled with this idea of not necessarily being likable because of a lot of people don't like me. But this idea that everyone should get this flex experience because I go around being really like the lads through me and having the best time and whatever. I don't want someone to feel left out, but I don't actually care, and I've gotten into this trap of making acquaintances feel like really good friends and then then pushing boundaries or feeling close or me not knowing how to manage that friendship properly because we're actually not friends. So now when I'm out in public or with people who I'm not that close with, I need to challenge myself to learn how to just be polite, how to just keep it at a distance, how to not give a lot and then pull away.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: It's really hard because it's you know how it's you observe it. You see the way I talk to strangers, and it's a nice feeling, but it actually doesn't do anything for me. When someone it's like, oh my god, she really likes me. It's amazing, and I'm like, no, I overdid it. And it's a manipulative thing as well, Like I think it's people please a core. It's not at the root people pleaser, but definitely is like, well why don't I want you to like me? But now I'm like why does it matter if I don't actually like you. I don't dislike you, but I don't. Why am I going above and beyond to make you feel so comfortable with me when I need to save that energy for my people.
Speaker 3: Sounds like an ascension technique it is. I look forward to seeing how it goes. I think it's working.
Speaker 1: Let's go flex and frooms like see.
Speaker 3: I know you and I have been in the process over the years of finding and leaving rentals. We are in the rental market, you and I as young women in a professional setting, along with every.
Speaker 2: Other person because anyone who needs a home.
Speaker 3: And obviously we're going through a bit of a rental crisis here in Sydney and abroad. Melbourne is also implicated. The whole of Australia is implicated. But when your two major cities.
Speaker 2: You're saying we have it worse off than everybody you know.
Speaker 3: I'm saying I feel like it started in Sydney, like the Melbourne rental crisis didn't really hit until semi recently.
Speaker 1: I would say. And I saw this article reshared on Reddit.
Speaker 3: What okay. It was uploaded one thousand, six hundred times, and it was a comment on this article that was talking about how every article related to the housing crisis kind of has a title like plenty would rather rent than own their own home. Apparently there's like a shift in Australia of people being willing to rent as opposed to buying it, and this obviously flies in the face of like the typical inverted coomas Australian dream. One of the biggest parts of the Australian dream is owning a home. I would say it's something that people put a lot of pressure on themselves for and also it's kind of like a personality.
Speaker 1: Trait if you do it.
Speaker 3: I would say, we all know the requisite Facebook posts of you in front of the billboard, often telling people where you live. So it's quite a dangerous thing to do, but it also, i can imagine, is very exciting. And the top comment that was awarded on Reddit suggested an alternative and I write, okay, counterpoint, If there's so many of us who prefer to rent, why don't we have a social standard for long term leases. In Europe there's a massive rental market and it's not uncommon to see ten year or possibly up to thirty year leases. But here you'll be hard pressed to find an agent willing to front up anything longer than twelve months. Right now, I'd love to buy, but I can't afford a big house enough for my family. However, I also have no chance of finding long term stability in the rental market. I'm not expecting both options, but having one of them would be nice. How smart could that be? Having ten year rentals? Because I think about it often, like if you're like, it's pretty fine for me to rent because I don't have any dependables, Whereas like, if you're renting and then you want to move every five years, this is not a vibe. We have to move schools, like, we have to do all these kind of things, like we need to have an alternate.
Speaker 2: Your family owned there, because all of us who just lived in rentals our whole child, were like, yeah, you just where it's like, so this is what we have to do. Yeah, that's what we've been doing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's pretty upsetting. But do you think this could be implemented?
Speaker 2: I think anything could be implemented, But realistically, in order for that to work, the people that it benefits would need to agree. And I think that's like the great issue with a lot of change happening, that the people who would be most impacted are the gatekeepers of change.
Speaker 1: Literally, because I imagine, if you sorry, people.
Speaker 2: Who are the litt least impacted are the gatekeepers change storry.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I can imagine people who because it is so hard to buy a house in Australia, a lot of people that buy houses and then rent them out are going to want to like move back into them or sell them on. So they're not going to sign a five year lease because if they sell it within two years.
Speaker 1: They're going to make a tidy profit. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Anyway, good luck to me when I want to find a new house, and to everyone else, I pray that we can do.
Speaker 2: This Okada flex and frooms flex and froms. It's not that often where I see something on the internet too good to be true and I run to share it with Miss Thrum. But this listen here. Air Asia budget airline in Australia releases an unlimited travel pass for seven ninety nine that's seven hundred and ninety nine dollars annually. You can travel unlimited apparently get to go to the Maldives, Korea, Japan and Southeast Asia, all around Australia. I said, what kind of dealer is this? Either you're a bad business person or you try to drop us. I feel like, so obviously did I did my cursory research, which has going in trick comments? I said, someone's going to have done the research and'd be like, this is a scam. Not a scam, but how do you do unlimited air travel for seven hundred and ninety nine Australian dollars? So I looked at the comments. The comments said, well, number one, you have to pay taxes on each fare. What does that even mean? How much of playing taxes is that? Tempercent?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just like when you pay tax on anything. So now you see, oh it's this price plus tax, so you just play the pucks tax?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What plus tax?
Speaker 3: How do you see this tick took the other day, which is like when your friend miss you miss says one word and then you just keep saying it I want again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. And then I was like, okay, cool, we can pay taxes or good. So maybe I'm paying an extra one hundred dollars for a flight to Japan. And then I scrolled further down in the comments, they said, well, from Sydney you can only fly to Malaysia in New Zealand. Okay, so what is that? Is it unlimited or not? I'm so sick of marketing. I'm so sick because I'm like, why would you lie first of all? And what are you really offering?
Speaker 3: Then also there's another asterix they put you down in where the tax you go.
Speaker 2: On arrival with the.
Speaker 1: So so your seats just above the locker. Respectfully.
Speaker 2: It's just ridiculous. And I mean good on them because I'm talking about it, But now I feel peeved and I haven't even gotten any benefits so far.
Speaker 1: You don't really the target demographic, are you?
Speaker 2: What's reached my feed? So I guess I'm gonna weigh in. Okay, you know what if it was seven ninety nine for actually all the places that they do offer flight to, that's a great deal. I'd say, all the girls, let's get in on it. Let's start doing travels.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brookie, I actually want to get this so I can go back home to New Zealand all the time it see my family.
Speaker 2: Well, this works because if you actually need to go or you want to go, like the destinations back and forth, it's perfect. But for the rest of us.
Speaker 3: So Brookie, our producer Brookies from New Zealand, and whenever she talks about New Zealand, the New Zealand accent comes through.
Speaker 2: Does it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I swear like Brookies brought up news ceiling before and then well she's.
Speaker 2: Like New Zealan, I said New Zealand. No, no, she's said New Zealans, New Zealand. Liar Mammy. Can I listen to whatever? This is?
Speaker 1: Silly? But yeah, Asia, that sounds late. I would also get on it. I want to go to South Korea. You can't.
Speaker 2: Again, doesn't apply. I didn't see what the Melbourne vibe is or any other place, but the comments didn't say so. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms Kit.
Speaker 3: We're feeling a bit silly today, but we will bring it tepper, because this is a job.
Speaker 1: It's a nine to five. If you will, if you will.
Speaker 2: Bigsicality.
Speaker 3: I was in a shop the other day. I was in a secondhand storree in Melbourne. Good Buyers is what it's called. I'm going to dock it because it's actually lit. And the chick that served me a lily with a legend shout out, Lily. I tried on these Monolo Blannis. I've wanted Milano Blaniks, Manolo Blonnis Blanis, Milano Blanis for ages since watching Sex and City for the last three weeks. I've been watching Sex and the City since January.
Speaker 2: She just break Brookies Sharpie.
Speaker 1: No, she broke your sharpie vote didn't And.
Speaker 2: She's a liar.
Speaker 3: And I've one of them Milano Blunkies. And I found so this shop.
Speaker 2: And they were like beautiful lace, lace, kitten, heel point tow mule.
Speaker 1: Super super hot. My friends said they were tragic.
Speaker 2: Your friends a liar and hater.
Speaker 3: I know, so I didn't buy them. But anyway, I digress. I tried on this beautiful.
Speaker 2: Who let's just round out that story. So you put it on your story and you cast a vote and said, hey, what should we do? Should I get it? Should I not get it? It's fifty to fifty mostly, but I guess you're nearest and dearest except me said not to get it. I said, babes, they're incredible, You've got taste, you've got vision. Get them. She should have listened to me, and Fruit doesn't listen to me enough. And I always have her back and she never listens to me, and then she comes crawling back when things don't go right, so she leaves, doesn't get the shoes, goes back, and then of course they've been sold because one of your fans bought them.
Speaker 3: Well, I was actually going to message you when I tried them on, but it was a Saturday, and I thought, you know, we need to keep the relationship somewhat personal, sorry, somewhat professional. So I was very disappointed when you did come to and message me with your support. So it got me thinking I definitely need help, especially when it comes to shoes. I can never decide the right shoes. This has happened in Japan as well. I went to Comedy Garson's.
Speaker 2: You know you can say CDG CDG.
Speaker 1: New Zealand, and I saw this pair of.
Speaker 3: CDG shoes that were like white brogues with a black soul, and I always wanted a pair. I sent them to my friend M who's like a fashion designer, and she didn't reply in time because I was on Japan time.
Speaker 1: And then I bought them. They're like seven hundred bucks. I get home and she's like, they look like clown shoes. Yeah, so I had to sell them again.
Speaker 3: So I'm very like, I'm not confident when it comes to shoes.
Speaker 1: So I guess it makes me think.
Speaker 2: This is why you've wont crocs exclusively for the last three years.
Speaker 1: And I've been telling my friends like, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I actually don't like crocs, but they're comfortable and I don't know what else to wear.
Speaker 1: So I did go back to the shop.
Speaker 3: And I bought a pair of Doc Martin's Little Cross Tea ones and they look good. But are you someone like you have quite an impeccable sense of style. Have you ever needed techn opinions or do you just go with your gut?
Speaker 2: Go with my gut. I trust my taste for me, you know. I don't like to dress people or help style people in any capacity interior, makeup, hair, because I just know what I like on meat. That's the cavet every time. So I trust my judgment enough that I can make it work. And I think if you separate a few of the items I have, they're not that cute to a lot of peas. Little bit together, I always look good. You know. It's always hard to know if somebody's just saying it looks good to appease you because they can tell you really like it, versus am I gonna get wear out of this? Is it a good purchase or whatever? So no, I don't like to do consultations when buying, though I do. I found myself doing consultations when I'm going to a party with a friend and I don't know what the like, what the dress code is. You know, I'm like, so what are we really doing? Because I'm already quite a showy person, So I don't. I feel like, do me a favor and let me know if it's not that environment, so I can yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to learn how to reassure myself as opposed to seeking reassurance. Watch this space. I did buy the other shoes without any consultation, wore them that night and have horrible blisters.
Speaker 1: So the crocs are back on rotation. Are you any pickies? Yeah, yeah I did. I'll send you them.
Speaker 2: Flex and frims, Flex and frimes. Cater never miss a beat. It is days like this where I'm thankful that the algorithm works. Shout out to Cater. It's flexing frooms. If you are a girl boss, an aspiring girl Boss or filmed girl Boss or what came before girl Boss just to buss generally, or just a girl a person at this point. True, you're gonna want to hear this. How are you getting money in prison? Do you have a prison hustle at all?
Speaker 4: I'm a really great braider, so I had braid hair.
Speaker 2: How do you get paid for your prison hustles? What's a currency in a woman's prison?
Speaker 4: Some people do food, Like when I would braid hair, I'd say, hey, listen, if you're making food, throw me a plate, or let me use your TV for an hour, or let me borrow your headphones, or if you have phone time from seven to seven forty, let me switch with you. So you have the later slot and I have the beginning slot.
Speaker 1: So it all depends.
Speaker 4: Or you call home and tell your mom to put twenty bucks on my book and I will do your hair for the rest of the month, or you know, it just all depended on what you wanted, how much of it you wanted, how much you were willing to spend.
Speaker 2: So wait, yes, do they have hair ties you can get at the commissary show? And probably like the little plastic ties?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 2: Not the big fabric ones tricking.
Speaker 1: You'd be this chicken jail, absolutely pustling.
Speaker 2: Remember when I was on Big Brother, and when I was being antisocial because I didn't want to make too many friends, I would just pretend to be really proficient in the kitchen. I don't cook for every day. Every meal time, I'd be cooking some meals and I was the only one who could turn on the oven, so every time someone else did it to cook, they'd have to ask me.
Speaker 1: It's like an alternate universe when you're in a Big Brother.
Speaker 2: I said, this is how you hustle. I think I won't do the same thing in prison.
Speaker 1: That's scary.
Speaker 2: Oh just do hair braiding, can you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can you braid other people's hair?
Speaker 3: I've never been able to that, Like when in primary school people would do the horsey braids, Like I'm still watching to hustle them.
Speaker 1: My hustle is jesterism.
Speaker 2: Everybody's funny in prison.
Speaker 1: Do a one hour show, a little bit of a performance piece.
Speaker 2: You think people a going to pay for that? She said, twenty bucks to do someone's here for the whole of the month. What's your fee for comedy?
Speaker 3: No, I'm going to be finding a partner outside of the jail. They're going to be wiring me money and I'm going to pay people.
Speaker 2: To take your single now. He's single now and you're not in jail. Somehow you're going to become a criminal and then find a boot somehow.
Speaker 3: I still have to go to in Donut to get massages like I'm in jail.
Speaker 2: This is Flex and Frooms on kit phone addiction, phone addiction addiction Haiku by the girls.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's not a high kite. Wait, can I make one addiction? Flex has a phone? Oh, Flexi's phone. No Flex phone?
Speaker 1: Hold on.
Speaker 3: This is annoying, favorm to listen, but let me continue. Flex has a phone phone issue. For Flex, it is really hard for her phone issue for Flex.
Speaker 1: That's a high coot through me redacted.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing. So I've got two phones. I'm a full time girl boss. I'm always online, which you would be hard pressed to believe. If you've tried to text me in the last fortnight and I didn't respond because I didn't want to, let it be known. I have my phone on me most often. If I don't respond, it'scause I don't want to. But what I do try and do is when I don't actually need to be using my phone, I will just leave it. Well, I'm trying to learn how to do that. So I'm currently downsizing in my apartment, and so I'm doing spring cleaning. And I hate the act of going to the bins in an apartment. I usually live in homes. We've got your own little bin. You know it's cleaner, it's messy. My current bin room there's rats, rat poo, it's dank. There's probably one or two days a week where it's presentable. And I wasn't there that day. It's Thursday, so I had so much rubbish to take out, and so all I could have thought to hold was just my keys, and my keys attached to my wallet and attached to my swipes and everything I need. So i'm, you know, bag ladying down the lift to the bin room. The door is locked, so I have to unlock it myself with my key. I unlock it and the door swings shut straight away. My keys is still on the door. I say, oh, good, like, I'll just open the door back up. No, I couldn't open the door back up. I'm stuck in the bin. I hear scurring.
Speaker 1: What time was this?
Speaker 2: Ten pm?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I hate it on a what day?
Speaker 2: On a weekend?
Speaker 1: Oh babe, that's bad, you know.
Speaker 2: So I hear the rats scurrying around, I see the poop everywhere. It's binge juice everywhere. It's dank, it's stale, it's a little bit warm from the residual heat wave. And now I'm trying to think sharp. I'm like, okay, so what do I do? What I do? So, I'm like, if I knock, nobody's gonna hear me. Because it's Tempere on a Saturday. People aren't really in the garage like that. And so I look and there's an emergency exit. But I'm like, if I leave this room now I'm locked out of the whole building. Right, you see how we're at a crisis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see the crisis. I see the christ.
Speaker 2: So I leave the room. Lucky. I was wearing like a full fit because sometimes I do naked neighbor down to the bening room. I'm like, I'm sorry, I'm just doing a big T shirt.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you no pants?
Speaker 2: No pants? I'm like, this is my home, you know. But I was wearing a full fit this time. You know, a little like athleisure where so there's something about living next door to your best mate. There's someone about it. Because you know what I did. I went straight to her apartment. It's like a thirty second walk. Do I know what number she lives in? No, So I'm trying to ring because it's like there's no need. I just kind of rock up and she's like the door's open. So I'm like trying to figure out what apartment she lives and I'm bringing the intagram I'm bringing I don't know what's one, you know. And then so I go to like the street for you, and I'm just yelling her name in hopes that she'll come down. So I'm yelling, yelling, yelling, yelling, and then I see her door kind of open and I'm like, hey, She's like what, I'm like, I've been lucked out. She's like, shut up. So obviously she comes down to save me, but she was like, I didn't even hear her. Cat was the one that heard me and started meowing towards the window. She's like, she's like, he's the one that told me you were out there. I said, thank you, king.
Speaker 1: Do you even like the cat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. Oh, we've got an arrangement. Like I think that he kind of is a bit scared that I'm the reason why she's not around that much. So like we I tread lightly, of course, so the story gets worse by the way we haven't. It gets worse. So she's got a key to my apartment. So she opens the door to my apartment and I say, well, my keys and my wal are still stuck in the door of the spin room, so I need to go down and get that. She's like, okay, cool. I'm like, can you stay here though, just in case. She's like, yeah, okay cool. So I run through the garage down the list literally run. Noay, I definitely walked at a slow pace down the lift outside of the bin room. My wallet is not there. What am I meant to do? Because the keys attached to the which is in the door. This is a big apartment building. Anyone could have a sinister person and could be there stealing my identity as we speak. So now I circle back up to my house from the outside because I don't have my keys. You see what I'm saying. Now I'm locked out again. I knocking on my house door. My best friend. I can't get to it. I'm like, did she leave? She knocking on the knock, she hasn't come back. Now I'm freaking out, where is she? Where is she? Eventually she gets to the door. She's like, oh, my goodness, you would not believe what happened. What happened? She's like, so someone started knocking the door as soon as you left. I was freaking out because I was like, who could this be? She call me back already? So she opens the door and there's this guy there. He's like, hey, I'm looking for Lilian and then we're like, yeah, okay, like who are you. He's like, oh, I have her keys and wallet. We're like, thank goodness. So I get back and I was like, how does he know it's me? Though? Because my driver's license dot you have my current address on the front, it has on the back. So I'm like, do they just know me in this apartment? How you know? Ho's Sofia? Anyway, so we started. We spent the next ten minutes thinking that like, I'm such a main character, like I've got a reputation in the building and then me here only to find out that I have my address on the little keychain of my keys, so like anyone could have figured that out. That is popular in the building.
Speaker 1: A horrible idea. Flex.
Speaker 2: In conclusion, don't wean yourself off your phone, because had I had my phone to begin with, I could have called Sully my best friend and stayed in the bin room with my wallet. You've gotta come saved me. It would have been fine.
Speaker 1: And inconclusion, do not have your wallet attached.
Speaker 2: No, stand by that keys.
Speaker 3: No, because if you lose your keys or your Yeah, if you lose your someone's gonna.
Speaker 1: Know where you live, come and hijack your car. It happens.
Speaker 3: Ever thought about that, It's like keeping your don't keep your registration papers in the car anyway.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a contact. You're my eighty five?
Speaker 2: What are those?
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.