Speaker 1: Let's get it on, Gillie. This is Pat Cummins. This is Australia. One of the worst things I have ever seen done on a cricket field. Tonight. It's August. The Test Summer is about to start. A Titan of the game passes away. More turmoil in English cricket. The one hundred teams battle it out for the cringiest franchise. Zampa makes a move, Clickgate rocks the cricketing world. There's no such thing as a quite off season. This is down Playable podcast. Coming up on this episode, we've got josh Hazlewood in an exclusive chat. But first Joshua Finger here with Kane Richardson. Welcome back to the hot seat, richard has.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ben, good to be back. Thanks for having me back. It's been a quiet winter. And you said the Test summer's back. It's the Test spring.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if anyone takes a great catch up, North will be catch of the spring, won't it. Well, winter stiably still so, but yeah, thanks for having me back. It's good. You're looking fine and dapper and you look like you're a really nice ten as well.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you. I had a few weeks away, which is very nice in the States of Mexico. A bit of sporting action going on.
Speaker 2: Cheered on our socks, cheered.
Speaker 1: Them on, yep, but never cheated. Neil Nild You're also hard, but got the point that they needed.
Speaker 2: I saw some great kid from you as well as you pulled out some retro Australian Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I had a little bit of green and gold in the cupboard.
Speaker 2: So who's your plug? Who's your connection for that?
Speaker 1: A little friend called Jim down in South Australia. It doesn't like to be cold out, but he's a superstar and that's department, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Thank you Jim.
Speaker 1: And you've got a wool and going hat on today. What's the connection there that's.
Speaker 2: With the hometown of Adam Zamper, isn't it? I think? Okay, just a bit of tourist memorabilia. I actually I have never been. I just found it in a shot shout out Woollo Gong surf Leisure resort.
Speaker 1: Yeah there you go. Okay, great. As I said, We've got Josh Hazewood for an exclusive chat this episode. He is back to full fitness and fingers cross it can play his first Test in a bit over a year when they played Bangladesh and let's talk about that Ossie squad rijo because it's basically full strength. We've seen that Pat Cummins is there, Josh Hazwood is there, Nathan Lyon is back, and the Aussies have been in Brisbane over the last couple of weeks going through their paces and doing a bit of interest squad hitouts and those sorts of things. It's exciting to have the full contingent back because it feels like it's been a while.
Speaker 2: It does feel like it has been a long time since the Ashes kind of wrapped up. So it's nice for the crowd in Darwin to get and Mackaire to get you know, you get to see the first choice guys up close. So there's that's a really good part of it as well, because there's nothing worse. You know, you bring cricket back to that, you know, I know they had some limited over stuff last year, but to bring Test cricket back to that those parts of the world and then not have the biggest stars, So that's a really good part of it as well. But it's also nice from the selectors. You know, there's an enormous amount of cricket coming up. Test cricket. This is our team, this is our strongest, you know, eleven or squad to start with, and then they can kind of work their way back from there. So there's a few question marks obviously with Josh as you said, with his fitness and it's been a long time since played a Test match, but also Nathan Lyon returning. So there's some question marks over a few guys in terms of not not ever has there been question marks over their performance, but more so how will they go And it's going to be tough like that. You know, you're in Sydney for winter, all of a sudden you're in Darwin for spring. It's going to be warm, and I imagine the wickets won't be conducive to bowling, so it's going to be it's going to be tough.
Speaker 1: We're expecting some flatter decks, it.
Speaker 2: Would be reasonable to assume that. So it's not going to be everything in their favor. But again these these are the best bowlers in the world, so they'll find a way. But I just do think it will. We'll hit them quicker than what they expect in terms of if they're not fully prepared.
Speaker 1: And I mean, as you sort of touch on, it's great that they've come out with this full strength squad because over the last few weeks management and players have repeatedly said that these fast ballers just can't play twenty one Tests in twelve months or whatever it is. And that's fair enough, because that's a lot of cricket. But to start with your strongest, even though it might not be the strongest opponent, I think it's a good sign and that's a good way to start this big stretch of cricket.
Speaker 2: Well, we've probably been speaking about this more than anyone about how just to admire them and appreciate them before they're done.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: And again, this next period of cricket probably sets them up to achieve some things. They've achieved everything, they've won everything, really haven't they But there's only there's probably some places around the world that they haven't won. I know, Josh spoke about that last week, So that's probably the it's really the last thing and on their belt, the notch on their belt that they haven't got yet. But yeah, this is the start of that journey for them to achieve. The group as well, they've been building for so long, so yeah, this kind of sets them up nicely. But yeah, again, it's a great way to start a springboard into a campaign to have this is and even for the rest of the squad whoever doesn't make you know that first test, all right, this is the benchmark, this is the team. I've got to find my way in and we'll have the domestic season starting surely as well, so other guys will get opportunities. But yeah, I think it is a really good job by the selectors to get everyone up and running for that test.
Speaker 1: Some are calling this a bit of a legacy season, especially for these guys. If they can tick off a win in South Africa, a win in India, a win in England. Is that fair or is that putting a little bit extra pressure on them?
Speaker 2: I think it is fair. Like I remember thinking back when I was still playing and playing with those guys and I was like, what gets them out of bed every day? You know, And it has to be things like that at the end of the day when you've achieved as much as they have to continue to do the work away. You know, this time of year, especially where we're not talking about them, we're not seeing them every day they're doing the work. Still, what is driving and what is motivating them outside of obviously making a living, and it's that part of it. They've done basically everything, it's that small part that they haven't achieved that obviously that really motivates them to continue. So I think that's fair. I mean, legacy is something that these guys that that's the air they're in, isn't it. It will speak about him in you know, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, fifty years that this group, especially the bowlers, I mean that's specifically the guys who've been around for a long time, and obviously Steve Smith with the bat. So yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: You'll hear this in the chat that that's coming up with Hazwood, but I sort of hinted that, you know, there might be an opportunity or a situation where he might have to sit out a test in this next stretch even though he's fit, And he said that would be really tough if that was the case, because as a bowler, you can probably relate. If you're fully fit, you expect to be playing. You don't want to be sitting out, even if it's the best thing for management or rotation or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, absolutely and especially with age. I think I always remember people saying once you are like, once you do get to a certain age, it is easier to just keep going. But if he's missing a test, he's going to stop bowling. But I do think like match match prep and repetitioning game, you do just want to keep going the minute you stop. Especially for someone like Josh who's missed so much cricket, the last thing he wants now is to not be playing. So but also it's better to miss a test fit than it is to miss test matches injured and not even be around and be watching it on TV at home. So they're going to have to probably temper those expectations and pull back a little bit and understand that it is going to be holistically, like everyone in that squad supports stuff, They're all going to have a part to play in that, because to keep these guys in the park, it's going to take everyone.
Speaker 1: And how good did he look last season before he got injured. He was killing him in those two twenties and he.
Speaker 2: That was the thing. I think that's probably more frustrating as well, isn't it When he is up and going. He's still you know, he saw in the IPL as well when he came back, like he just doesn't miss a bat. He doesn't old BA ball in his career, really has he, So he's almost a robot. So to get him back playing is something we all want to see. Again. There's not long left, so to to get every opportunity to see them would be would be nice. But yeah, that was the frustration last year, wasn't it. But then again, there's always it seems as if there's always someone waiting in the wings, and that's someone has been Scott Bolan, hasn't it. And Michael Nessa yeah as well. So yeah, again, just appreciate the time they have left.
Speaker 1: Those two both had fantastic Ashes campaigns and it's crazy that they could sort of miss this first Test back just by the sheer number of players who are coming back. Brendan Dogget's there as well. Billy Stanley has been training at the Aussies as well up in Brisbane and he was on that recent trip to Bangladesh and Jakistan, so they obviously right Big Billy. We know that he's played for Australia a bit in the past. And he's got high, he's got pace, just needs to stay in the park. He could be anything, So things crossed a big billy. I'm not sure he's quite in the test reckoning yet, but who knows. Things can change very quickly and cricket, can't they Bangladesh, I know you've been right into the ways of the Tigers squad. They have made quite a few changes. Sumya Saka, the experienced test opener, hasn't played Tests for five years, but their chief selector Habibleshah said a bit of desperation in picking some They just don't have any other openers who can handle pace and bounce, and so they've gone back to the well with him. I think that's probably a fair enough bet. You've probably going to more likely get a good result with a thirty three year old rather than throwing in someone who's eighteen or nineteen and only played first class cricket in Bangladesh. So you can understand that they're quick. So they are missing Nahid Runner, which is a real shame. He ruffled up Pakistan in that series that they won two nil. He can hit close to one hundred and fifty k's an hour. He's one of the fastest bowls in the world at the minute. But he's out with a side strain, which is a real shame. But they do have an experienced pace attack, which I I do like. Again, they haven't gone for use and raw players who are untested, which we do see a lot of teams try in Australia. They've gone with Tasken Arman who's thirty one, Khalau Hman who's thirty three, and ever Dot Hussein Richard he's thirty two. He has cut short his paternity leave. He was enjoying some potential leave in Italy. He's decided to cut short that little time with new baby and wife. He's going to arrive in Australia to solidify this fast bowling attack. So that's a very selfless thing he's.
Speaker 2: Done, cut it short. Wonder what his prepper was like in Italy, car Bloating probably probably was. Maybe in Rome was Joe Burns, that was part of.
Speaker 1: The world was over there getting married.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, maybe there's a little cricketing only being built there on there. I think I'm not sure the conditions in Rome will be similar to Dull. That's the thing. Maybe the heat is the only thing but very noble of him. It's it's one of those things you know you want to take a bit of paternally to leave, but then when you're actually changing nap he's every fifteen minutes, you know, maybe bowling a couple of spells and Test cricket doesn't sound too bad. So good on him though, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope we've see him in the first eleven now and then get a couple of wickets to be a great story. Litton das he's also one who's just been included this week. That's a big conclusion. He's been their leading run score over the last five years. Very handy keeper bat and I think he's got six or seven Test hundreds to his name now, so he can certainly do it at the top level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be It's interesting you said about Sumusaka and he's accustomed to pace and bounces. I'm not sure what to expect when I say the conditions, I think they will be good. It's not going to be you know, Optus day one in terms of you know, Gabba that kind of thing. So it'd be interesting to see what they're expecting and what we'll get, because I don't think it will be that typical Australian test pitch where you know the quicks are super effective in terms of you know, scene movement and swing and bounce, but it could be it could be more similar to what you know bangaledes She conditions in terms of low bounce. I'm not sure how much it will spin, so again we're all probably guessing a little bit with I know from Cricketbean played up there last year only a T twenty, but it did tend to go a little bit up and down, more down if anything, and low bounce, so if anything, it might plant Banglesh's hands. Okay with that, but again I could be proven very wrong.
Speaker 1: But if you had to make a guess at this point and we're still over a week outfrom because you'd say spin will become a big factor in the game.
Speaker 2: I think, just naturally with the conditions being warmer and son out that the pitch will break up. But it is a drop in as well, so I just think naturally from seeing it up there this time year, it's always been a bit lower anything, so it will keep blow, will break up. So again I can be proven wrong, but I don't think the Banglesh she's thinking it's going to be fast and bouncy, will be, will be on the money.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's get into that chat with Josh Azood. When we returned from this quick break. We've got the Aussie fastballer who's just had a chat to us yesterday in Brisbane.
Speaker 3: Well, josh Ason, welcome to the Unplayable podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You mentioned just off there there the IPL another title with our CB. Can you just run us through what this season was like to play again and win another title of the biggest league in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was obviously a bit different than the year before.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, we hadn't won in ever so eighteen years, so I think that was sort of a big relief for pressure, particularly the guys have been there for you know, some have been there since the start, some have been there one year, five years, seven years. So I think that's a big relief relief for pressure to get the one off the back. And then this year I probably we probably played with a bit more freedom, I guess, just purely because of that. We're obviously the hunted throughout the whole tournament, where that means anything in T twenty, but I think everyone goes pretty hard anyways. So yeah, it was a great, great few months. We've got a pretty good team at the present moment, and yeah, it's good fun.
Speaker 3: What's it like playing with vire out in India like that must.
Speaker 5: Be pretty crazy. Yeah, it just means that every game is a home game. Basically, you've got I think every game but maybe Chenna and we'll buy. You've got ninety percent of the crowd, so really Bengal, youve got one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Every other ground you got ninety.
Speaker 5: You know, ten nine, while you've probably got fifty to fifty starts. It's a it's a nice feeling to be cheered all the time.
Speaker 1: And was it good to be back bowling and see it was a bit of a break for you before that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was nice, it was nice.
Speaker 5: I think T twenty is good in that regards that, you know, coming off the back of not much for a few months, you can sort of pick up and as long as your intensity is is good enough, which is tough to do in the next but you know, got to India, you know, trained over there as well, got that intensity up as best you can.
Speaker 4: You're almost ready straight away.
Speaker 5: So in terms of day and day out workloads for a Test match, you don't need those behind you, so tick that intensity box and then you're sort of a way.
Speaker 4: So it's a good format to creep back into cricket.
Speaker 1: And the Chinaswami isn't normally known as a bowling you know, sort of friendly venue, but that's the home ground, so you've got to work out a way to make it work right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was probably a bit flatter this year.
Speaker 5: Last year was quite bounty wicket, so it was it was nice to bowl them, but this year was Schools were a bit higher.
Speaker 4: I think it's just the mentality of the wicket and the field.
Speaker 5: A small outfield, good wicket, School's going to be higher as long as we're in a better mindset than the opposition bowlers. I certainly know that they come thinking, oh no, to twenty two forty could be more. It's tough place to bowl, but I think you can really turn the game in a couple of balls or in over So I think that's sort of the mentality that we have as a bowling group.
Speaker 1: And I imagine when it's full and people are cheering, like there's no chance you're going to hear someone clicking their fingers at slip.
Speaker 4: Is there definitely not. No, there's a few chances that go.
Speaker 5: I think there's only about under forty thousand capacities, but it feels like I guess it's small field, so they feel on top of you. They feel like, you know, sixty or seventy, so it's nice.
Speaker 1: It's a big stretch of cricket coming out for Australia, as has been pretty well publicized up to twenty one Test tours to South Africa, India, England.
Speaker 3: Is that daunting as a player or does that make you excited?
Speaker 4: I don't think it's daunting. I think it's yeah, it's exciting.
Speaker 5: I think yeah. I mean we're always playing cricket. This is just a little bit of a next level the individual. I mean, the batterers might play every game, but I think from an individual point of view as a bowler, then you're probably still going to play a similar amount to previous years. I think there's opportunities to have a breather here and there probably more, say in white Pool than red Bull, but without sort of feel like you're missing too much because there's another series and other Test.
Speaker 4: Match, another big game around the corner.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's just a I feel like every four years that it sort of comes to this, a couple of big tournaments cut the big series in a row.
Speaker 4: So it's good fun.
Speaker 1: And I imagine knowing that you might have to sit out a test or two here or there, even if you are sort of fit. Is that easy to take now that the whole bowling group are in their thirties a bit more experienced rather than fresh into the scene and.
Speaker 3: You just want to go hammer and tong sit every match.
Speaker 1: Or not?
Speaker 5: Really, I don't know, really, I haven't been in that position in a while, so you've probably have to ask a few the other guys. But I mean, if you fit and there's the test, MAT's there for the plan to play, it's it is tough to sit out even when you are you know, you never one hundred percent fit, but if you if you enough to play, it's still tough to sort of have those conversations. Actually, I've did it once in Ashes in twenty three. Actually I missed the middle Test, so I felt pretty good, but that was the plan leading in. So again I was coming off not much cricket. I'm going to play the first two in the last two. So yeah, Ronnie came to me and he didn't really ask me, he just told me. So I think that was the best way to go about it.
Speaker 1: And maybe this is a good tick in your book, but I think they lost that one, didn't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, maybe.
Speaker 1: Are there any of those tours that particularly stand out for you that you're really looking forward to or is it all just test? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, to be honest to that, looked at too far ahead. I might have said this before, but I literally look at tomorrow when I've gone tomorrow, you know, is it is the training days, at the game days, at the rest days, at travel days, whatever it is done, look too far ahead, trying look to the next match.
Speaker 4: And that's as far as I look.
Speaker 5: So I'll just probably keep doing that as we go down the path for the next eighteen months.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there's plenty that it's exciting and we'll get there. We'll get there eventually.
Speaker 3: Well, first one up is Bangladeshi in Darwin.
Speaker 1: What are we expecting there? You played the T twenties, I think you're darn last year. But for a Test match and for this opponent who straight don't play a lot, what are we sort of expecting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess there's a lot of unknowns. You're going You've got the ground that's probably an unknown, the wicket in particular, the opposition in these conditions.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of un knowns. But I think it's exciting.
Speaker 5: It's you know, it might be you know, there's definitely footage and we can find some trends against these batters, but it might be a case of summing it up out there and coming up with plans on the run as well, which is which is always refreshing. I reckon, yeah, yeah, the wick it will be the same. It'll be summing it up in the first half hour, first hour, how is it going to play?
Speaker 4: What's happening.
Speaker 5: So it's very much adapting and the challenges come as the days flow on, and you someone.
Speaker 1: Who likes to make the plans yourself and suss it out, like are you in the team room with all the statisticians and analysts going through what the gap might be?
Speaker 3: You somebody likes to get into the weeds and that stuff.
Speaker 5: I think the longer the game goes in terms of formats, the less I do. Okay, I think yeah, T twenty definitely do the most. Yeah, and it filters down from there. So before a T twenty game, we'll look at all the batters, I think, because every ball really matters if it counts. So if you're a touch off or you're not on the right ball to the right batter, to the right field, then it's it's six or it's one. So it's a it's a big difference. Yeah, whereas I feel Test cricket, you know, it's it's a pretty simple plan.
Speaker 4: It's just execution, and it's execution for a long period of time.
Speaker 5: So things might change a little bit out there as the day goes on or the game goes on, but in general, it's a pretty simple game plan a lot of the time. So and I guess you have time to adapt out there. You might bowl, you might.
Speaker 4: Be halfway through your first spell and oh let's try this, let's try that in T twenty.
Speaker 5: That really have that time every boards cruiser, you've got twenty four sids. Yeah, you've got to be ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, one of the big four bowlers we talk about, come and start line and Hazelwood your first Test together was back in the.
Speaker 3: Twenty seventeen eighteen Ashes series.
Speaker 1: So coming up to a decade, it was basically Australia's first choice bowling group. How do you sort of reflect on that, Like, it's quite remarkable that you're all still going strong and looking good.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, It's time goes pretty quick sometimes.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like it's been almost ten years?
Speaker 5: It probably does. Yeah, Yeah, it depends what day you get us. We bother a lot yesterday, so yes, it probably does feel like ten years. Yeah, it's good to be one of the younger ones of that for actually, But yeah, I mean we've played so much cricking together. It's been a good ride so far and hopefull there's a there's a few more tests to go yet, but yeah, we've done a lot in the game, I think, and it's usually as a group, so it's been good fun. And we bounce off each other pretty well on and off the field, and I think we're almost each other's coaches best coaches a lot of the time with different things, whether it's rhythm and run up or how he jumps looking, or ball speed or whatever it is. We could pick that up through each other a lot of the time.
Speaker 4: That's handy.
Speaker 3: Who do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Will be the last man standing out of those four, who would be your guess?
Speaker 5: Iren Gazza, I just say it's Spinner, I think in AGSI yeah, probably part Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay makes sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you couldn't better get couldn't bet against game?
Speaker 1: Could you know? That's right now? October and November was sort of your last yield match before that injury took you out of the Ashes. Can you talk us about what those few months were like after you're doing a lot of rehab, I assume a lot of rest.
Speaker 3: What does it sort of look like? Are you watching the Ashes on TV?
Speaker 1: You're trying to stay engaged in the game, or you're just completely shutting it out.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't watch much at all, to be honest. I might have watched a little bit on two of Melbourne. I might have watched a little bit happening, a little bit happened, but yeah.
Speaker 5: Literally, other than that, I wouldn't have watched ten minutes in a row, if that makes sense, right, catch the ball here and there on different screens around whatever you're doing. But yeah, I never really sat down and watched it. I don't really watch any game of cricket, to be honest, Like it's yeah, yeah, I watch other sports on TV. But yeah, you're just doing your rehab. You're ticking off. You got all these milestones, I guess you could call them along the way, and whenever tenant is involved. It's quite a lengthy process. So it's sort of you know, two steps forward, one step back all the time, and you just keep pushing until you find what it can handle and what it can deal with. And you're just doing that for until you keep going and keep going to you're taking off. You know, you're bowling. So there's a few steps to go through to get to that point. Obviously is a quick but yeah, it can be lengthy, can be I guess, lonely, a lonely spot sometimes. You know, there's always there's always someone in a worse.
Speaker 4: Off position than what you are. I think, Yeah, that's one thing I've learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you done an achilles before or was this your first time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had ten and nice to the left one.
Speaker 5: This was I think the tender next to the achilles on the right, so sort of disturbed by a bit of stuff at the front of the ankle. So yeah, one thing leads to another, as they always say in the body so that's usually the case.
Speaker 1: And how else do you spend this free time If you're not training, you're not playing, you're not rehabbing.
Speaker 3: How us does Josh Hazel would spend this spare time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably helping.
Speaker 5: The wife out with looking after the family, young kids alike. So still in that most of the time. I love playing golf when I can, So.
Speaker 4: That's the trick, trying to do an injury that gets you out of cricket but not out of golf. That's the that's the challenge.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I love playing my golf and that takes up forever of time.
Speaker 3: How's the handicap looking at.
Speaker 5: Them, it's probably on the way out probably, yeah, through I don't know why. I just not hit it very well, to be honest, But yeah, a lot of us off the similar handicaps. So it's good fun to get together and having a hit so we don't take it too seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some nice cots in South Africa coming up as too, I imagine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, We've been lucky over the years, to be honest, everywhere we play cricket to get on some nice ones and been looked after by the locals very well.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: England, Scotland, South Africa, New Zealand. So it's it's really nice. So we'll get away from cricket as a group and do something together other than cricket.
Speaker 4: So it's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I spent the spare time because you don't have Instagram, or at least you don't have a public Instagram.
Speaker 3: Have you ever considered it?
Speaker 1: Because a lot of your teammates are getting good brand deals and those sorts of things, is it ever come on.
Speaker 3: To your radar?
Speaker 4: No, it's never good to me.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm probably missing out on a few free stuff here and there, but no, not worth a hash.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got a little little quiz for you.
Speaker 1: I've gone through some of your teammates on Instagram pages and they've all done the brand deal here or there. I just want you to scroll through these and just.
Speaker 3: See if you can guess who it is.
Speaker 1: So the first one here, we've got his liar's spirit company. They're donating one dollar from every cocktail to drive cocktail.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's like by it's carry so that rules here out. What does that look like? Wedding ring on the left. We're nice watch cocktails. I want to say cocktails Australian coge that obviously I want to say he's starky, but he wouldn't do a cocktail.
Speaker 3: You just scroll, scroll up and you'll find out.
Speaker 4: Who it is. Jesus, how mean is he going to be.
Speaker 1: So pat Come on that one. It keeps scrolling and gets the number two teaming up with Blank to bring you lightning fast internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is starky. Yeah, correct, surprise.
Speaker 1: Number three trade to five winners, Stay calm under pressure is their slogan. He's got the Hawaiian shirt on the mindset, sitting with legs crossed, and there's actually cricket ball balance on his head. If that has all right?
Speaker 4: This is like I reckon, this is Travis Head.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's a good get.
Speaker 4: Easy.
Speaker 3: Number four inner light sauna.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Every athlete knows training is only half the equation.
Speaker 4: Well it's not like by Nathan Line, because I reckon it is.
Speaker 3: Why do you think it's Nathan Linon by the rig.
Speaker 1: And then number five Rado watches Ash Barty and Blank doing this one as a joint little collaboration.
Speaker 3: Nicely dressed in a black shirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't see what shoes they are by the left hand.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: With Ashbari, it's going to be a big dog. It's got to be Paddy again.
Speaker 3: You reckon Patty again.
Speaker 4: It's Cameron Green, Karen Green.
Speaker 1: So he's gone for the luxury watches there lovely.
Speaker 3: So I think he got a couple three out of five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then I just want to finish, Josh. We're doing in new thing this year called First the Unplayable Podcast. We just want to get you to recall your first Test, your first wicket, and then any other First the first Test match.
Speaker 5: You remember that first Test match? Yes, I remember that. It was here in Brisbane Gabba twenty fourteen November.
Speaker 3: Maybe when did you get the call morning off or David?
Speaker 5: The first Test was in Adelaide that year, so it was the second Test of the series.
Speaker 4: It was Siel, Johnson and Harris. I reckon in Adelaide.
Speaker 5: It was the first Test after hughs had passed and then we came up here.
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 5: I knew Rod Mash gave me the heads up pretty early. I reckon like three or four days out. I was taking maybe sid spot. They bow quite a bit in Adelaide as well. It was quite flat, so Yeah, came up here and debuted up here and first wicket was first wicket was not out Pujara. It's always good to see the back of him. Yeah, it was like a short ball. He went to sort of spending off and I think went over his glove, Nickti's helmet, and it was sort of funny because I argued before the series that they didn't want to use drus.
Speaker 4: And that was almost the first wick of the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nickti's helmet caught behind and Gunnacle just straight out.
Speaker 4: So that was a nice start. Pretty good. Yeah, first it was a few years before. Oh yeah, that was a long time ago, two thousand and ten.
Speaker 5: I think in England's Southampton Okay, Yeah, I was sort of pretty surprised to be on the tour at all. We went to Ireland first just for the one game, didn't play, came back to England's first game was in against in Southampton, and I think I got one for forty odd maybe seven or eight overs, got Craig Keys within, so it was nice to get a bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, excellent. And then your first T twenty international.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question, Brisbane.
Speaker 5: Maybe I think a few debuted in the same game. Maybe Benny Rura her self.
Speaker 4: There was one other I probably should have done my race, you thought not definitely?
Speaker 5: Any were on myself up here against West Indies. I think we're a gale out. That's my first week get yeah or no top edge to sort of mean on Colts, I think running back said good Field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely spot on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I swear there was three debut that game.
Speaker 1: General Josh Hazwood and Nathan Colton as well, So a couple of debuts combining.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we I think we won that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, great, excellent. All right, Well thanks to your time in the summer ahead and.
Speaker 4: Plenty easy thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no social media for Josh Hazewood, but he's been focused on the bowling. Rich O, You've got an Instagram account. Have you done any brand deals across your time to make a little bit of extra coin on side?
Speaker 2: We're all obliged with our sponsors over the years. Absolutely, but I was in the last I deleted my account in the twenty nineteen World Cup because I was spending too much time on it. Oh okay, and I then did probably I've probably had two months off and then started the burner account, which I still use to this day. So yeah, every time they send it, I think I got one recently, so they must think I'm still playing. But I got one from New Balance saying this is the post this August, these are the new boots that we have to promote, and this is the hashtag. But I didn't do one. I got away with doing those for the last seven years, so apart from that, I didn't have many things coming into my inbox.
Speaker 1: So a New Balance still sending you the boots as.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope not, because I'll donate them. If anyone's around that's the size twelve or thirteen, you can have them. But yeah, I always got out of that by saying I didn't have an Instagram or a Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah an next well done that, I guess as he's got.
Speaker 2: He's he's a smart operator, although he's probably missing out on some endorsement dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Lot easier just not having to do those cringy kind of I mean, some people enjoy it, don't. Yeah, but I think he's he's sticking a brand there and he's just going back to his going back to Teamworth and probably jumping on a moor and chucking the line in and just chilling out and I reckon.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it feels like the player has had a little bit of input with maybe the wording. But you can see posts where the brand's just gone. You're going to copy and paste this.
Speaker 2: This is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: You cannot change it. So that makes it tough.
Speaker 2: It does. Yeah, and again I just think it's not his strength. So he's he's been really smart with that. So who do you think is most I mean, obviously Pat Cummins is, Yeah, he's the one. He's on the TV all the time. That's probably a different stratosphere, isn't it. Marnus is up there, I know, eating my weep Bix the other day. He's always kid. He's a weep Bix kid. Alex carries Alex Carey's flying under the raidar. He will promote anything. So if you're out there looking for an Australian cricket to promote something, Alex carries you, man, he wouldn't. I don't think he knows how to say no to something.
Speaker 1: Well, he's too nice.
Speaker 2: Probably he is nice, but I just think he's that way incline now, it's he's just got to keep the posts. It's almost like he needs to.
Speaker 1: And Travis Head is very marketable, as we saw in that little quiz with Josh Haswood. He had the ball on his head and he was in a Hawaiian shirt promoting some sort of trading platform.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure I think you should have to spell the name of the company that you're promoting in order to do it. So maybe he he would struggle there. But remember last last summer you were with the Boonie beefy Vb's and we've kind of thought, you know, Traviy Head's kind of he's kind of that this new generation David Boone, isn't he the way he's off field persona and the way we kind of look at him as that guy you'd love to have a beer with at the pub. So you know, there's money to be made there. Maybe, so Bb for listening. There you go.
Speaker 1: Now, English cricket has been rocked by cheating scandal over the last couple of weeks. Rich, I know this is you know, a fortnight or so ago, but I do want to touch on it. Given this is our first show back for.
Speaker 2: The still relevant, It's still making news.
Speaker 1: Brian Divine from Saltburn in North Yorkshire. Now anything goes up that far in the UK. Clearly he's been clicking his fingers at first slip. The keeper's been getting records, amount of record amounts of catchers and one of his opponents just posted it on Twitter. I'm not sure what he expected the reaction to be, but I'm sure it wasn't this big. He's totally blown up. Brian's been stood down by his club. Not sure if there's been any further sanctions. But what's his name? Sorry, Brian Divine Clique? Yeah, do you have any thoughts? Like have you seen anything like this before?
Speaker 2: You know, when you played backyard cricket, you kind of manufactured like you pretend to nick well you do it with.
Speaker 1: Your Yeah, maybe use tongue or your.
Speaker 2: Tongue I've never heard of because it's it doesn't sound like.
Speaker 1: It's a different sound, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's not really similar. It depends. Maybe he's got real leathery fingery, like skinning on his hands. I don't know. Maybe he's just born to cheat in this way. Yeah, maybe we should, Maybe we should, Maybe he needs to be studied, maybe that he needs to come out I think he needs to come out and do a tell all interviewing.
Speaker 1: Does it's going to be big?
Speaker 2: Maybe we can get him on the showers answering. Maybe he should lay low for a little bit more, wait till this blows over. But the umpiring as well needs to be called into question here because again.
Speaker 1: But are these games I don't I'm not sure what level of saltburn play in. But is the umpire like just one of the opposition batters who's yet too bad?
Speaker 2: Well, from the footage I saw they look pretty legit. But again I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to drag the umpires into this. But I'm not sure I think that I think. I think they're a lot older than they are younger. Yeah, so if there's any kind of noise near the bad I think there's any appeal, if there's a convincing we were talking about this before. I think the wiki keeper is just as guilty here if he knows this is all pre planned. Yeah, he's taken the credit. He's breaking records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the stats are he's averaging over three catches per game with Divine in the team, and at first slip less than one catch a game when he's nine in the team with a personal best of eight in a single innings, which is better than the test world record.
Speaker 2: So that's ridiculous. He's guilt by association. You're taking the credit. Yeah, and you know full well you're basically you're just as guilty.
Speaker 1: So and I love that there was that initial post that went out which sort of had it from down the length of the pitch, but since there have been other videos with other games with different angles and the fingers still there. It's clicking on.
Speaker 2: He was at short cover at one point and there's obviously it's slip, so it's it's premeditated. I just think at the end of the day' playing club career, some of these guys wait all week. They work all week, nine to five, you know, hate their job at the Like Saturday after I'm next in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm playing against Saltburn. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's a flat one there, like I'm looking forward to a fast outfield. This is, you know, summer. We've been waiting all winter for this and you playing miss at one, which we will do an old clickie and you're out and you've waited all week, and you might not bad again for another two weeks. It's evil, It is evil. Wow, you get well, Yeah, anytime we've all been there where we faker pilf one's kind of gone down leg and it hits the pad and you know it has but you just ask the question because nothing else is happening, but to premeditate and click. There's a lot of wrongdoing in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Club crickets were built on, especially at that level. We're not We're not. It's not sheep stations now.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: We care about our clubs. And he's probably played for Saltburn for his whole life and has been around the club forever. But come on, let's do it the right way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's not a young guy.
Speaker 2: He's probably doing it to poor eight and you're sixteen year old kids, you know, just ruining their dreams on the weekend. So yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 1: You've played it a little bit through the UK through your career. Often some strange stories that come out of the county circuit anything not quite at this level, but any sort of strange stories that you experienced in your time.
Speaker 2: Nah, I've never played Club Cree. I've only ever played County Cree. In one hundred, So it's probably not yeah, at that level, but I'm sure in Australian club. I'm playing club career in Australia as well. Again, people like that prepares you for international cricket. But how people treat club cree on the weekend. Oh yeah, And as a kid it would open my eyes to how how serious we treat like competition. Yeah, white line fever, Whi line fever. It was like I always struggle with it was like, come on mate, you're forty two. Like kids are watching, They're like twenty meters away, they're listening to every word you're saying. Where you're talking to the umpire, you know that kind of thing. Yeah, so this is yeah, we've got to learn a little bit out of this. No, I love competition. I was competitive as well, but I had my moments, definitely had I've done some stuff I shouldn't have, you know, shouldn't have said.
Speaker 1: Got the tape of those, Well you could probably call.
Speaker 2: Up there's dot comm articles about it. But this is different. This is yeah, blatant, it's cheap.
Speaker 1: But you're not saying it's a UK thing. You're saying it's a.
Speaker 2: I've never seen that that's that's that's that's unique. Okay, but there's definitely people out there that that will appeal when they're not it's not out because it's up to the umpire to make the decision and in that at that level, there's no no, that's right, so they just you got to live with it.
Speaker 1: Well, we want to hear your story, so do send them into podcasts, Crickets dot Com, tod are you. Yeah, I'm sure there'll be some classes.
Speaker 2: And it's always the lower in the grades as well. It's like first grade. It's almost like a level of professionalism that comes to that. But as you go down into the fourth fifth, the dold rooms.
Speaker 1: I think Brian was in the twos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I thought it'd be lower than that. He probably will be from now on. I'm not sure anyone will want to play with her. Well, might have to. Maybe he has to move out here to Australia. I'm sure there will be a few clubs.
Speaker 1: That will be a draw cards.
Speaker 2: He's worth the recruitment. I'm sure there's a few wiki keepers that will get on the phone to him and recruiting. So yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Good staying in England. Brenda McCullum and Ben Stokes have both finished up in their respective posts since we last chatted. They've been replaced by Stephen Fleming, who's been in charge of CSK and THERPL for the best part of ten years.
Speaker 2: I'd say Melbourne Stars Stars.
Speaker 1: Early days yeah yeah, yep, and Captain New Zealand for a long time as well. Joe Root reinstated as captain. He's lasting. This Captain didn't end well, so they've gone back to him, I guess because he's the devil they know in that regard. But have you dealt with Stephen Fleming at all of you cross parts with him a little bit.
Speaker 2: I've never played in a team that he was coaching, obviously cross paths through IPLs and big bashes and no guys that were under him for quite a while. That speaks very highly of him as not just a coach. I think that his success at Shani and to hold a job in the IPL for one franchise speaks for itself. Like it's pretty cutthroat industry over there, so that speaks for itself. But the person very well rounded and good perspective. I think one of those kind of new age coaches that they're not going to raise their voice when you have a bad performance. I think he's keeps it all in perspective and has really good relationships with his player, So I think it's from the outside looking pretty good, good astute selection.
Speaker 1: They've gone for Joe Rut over Harry Brook for example, good call, safe call.
Speaker 2: Solid, isn't it. I think when you look at the candidates again, if you're you're getting someone like Stephen Fleming, who is I would use that word to describe them pretty rock solid in terms of how they go about their day to day. It makes sense to get someone like Joe Rut Again when we talk about our greats of Australian cricket, what have they got to achieve? What's Joe's what's left for Joe to achieve? Maybe there's something in terms of how he wants to finish with the armband with them on. So yeah, I think it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well the next Ashes series isn't far away, so things are going to happen pretty quickly for them. Stephen Flemy doesn't actually take the reins until later this year, so they won't have too long under their new coach. But often I mean It was certainly the case with the McCullum the first year and the first I guess bit of a honeymoon period, isn't it. That's the best time when a coach comes in. We've seen it in other sports as well. So maybe they've done that well and they've just timed that well. But we'll have to wait and see a bit of water to go under that bridge. So garfled Sober's passed away aged eighty nine in Barbados a few weeks ago, a big loss for the cricketing community. According to many, the greatest or rounder to ever play, possibly the greatest cricketer based on what he could do. There's a wonderful statue of him at Kensington Ovle just out of the front of the ground. He's for forming a bit of a legside flick and it got me thinking, maybe is it time to rename that the although I think he's got a stand, so could you have a stand in the stadium?
Speaker 2: I mean, well you can, you can rename the stand go stadium. We've talked about this, we have. I think he's deserved it.
Speaker 1: Over eight thousand Test runs averaged a fifty seven point eight with the bat highest score of three hundred and sixty five not against Pakistan, which was the world record for many years. And then he just happened to take over two hundred wickets as well at an average of thirty four best of six or seventy three. So he could really do it all, couldn't he.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what he achieved everything again, didn't he for that time? Like six sixes in the over? He took over a thousand first class wickets, did he?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So no mug like he.
Speaker 1: Was medium pace, leg spear, enough spin.
Speaker 2: Everything, wasn't he. So South Australian cricketer as well. So that's right, part of the brotherhood there. But there were stories of him, like they used to be quite a big thing back in the day that would recruit you know, some there was greats of world cricket that would come play in the shield and he was I think at the time there's no bigger name in world cricket. So yeah, incredible stats. Would have been nice to see him translate into the modern game. You know, when you talk about those past grades that never got to play the shortest form of the game, you talk about someone who could do everything. I'm pretty sure you would have found a pretty good marketing T twenty cricket playing a good.
Speaker 1: Role, would have got a good price at the auction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have gone pretty well, wouldn't he. So a sad day in cricket, But yeah, what an amazing life and amazing Creek career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he will certainly be remembered and he was knighted as well.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, anytime you got the serve before the name, it's a pretty good reminder of your achievements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a while since we've had we had sir alist to cook with Jimmy Anderson. Well yeah we have had a few.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, but if you're from not from the UK.
Speaker 1: It's it's very rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sarahan, both of them, isn't it. Yeah again it's very English. So yeah, anytime you're maybe that maybe that's Josh Hazelwood. But we were talking legacy, who's going to be the first Australian cricket to get Is there any Australian cricket or Sir don has it been any others? We'll leave that there you go, Josh, Sir Steve, you never know.
Speaker 1: Adam's amper maybe in the in the scheme in the scope for a knighthood, but he's also on the move New South Wales. He's he's still living in New South Walest but he's moved his allegiance to play for Queensland this season. If a slot opens up in the domestic season for him with his international commitments, it may or may not. I haven't looked ahead, but this was a bit of stranger on because he's sort of moved only in the last couple of weeks the squads had been set, but he's made the move north. He's following in your footsteps, Finish.
Speaker 2: Not sure that's a smart move, but I think for anyone who doesn't know the ins and outs when you creackt astray contracted, you can basically pick your state because you're paid by Crete Australian, not the date. Oh okay, so basically it's Jake Weather or same mechanism to return back to essay, So it's a for the state who are receiving the player, it's great. Yeah, I mean, if you're available for one game, that's a bonus. If you're available for none of it doesn't matter because we're not actually paying your cent. So he nominated the change and Creed Australia approve. And in terms of off field for him, he lives. It's a two hour drive to Brisbane, so it does make sense in that regard rather than flying to Sydney. And there's been a little bit going on remember in the past, you know, with selection with him and you know he's not at training that kind of thing. So maybe he'll be at training a little bit more for Queensland. But I'm not sure how much you'll play, so yeah, probably won't matter.
Speaker 1: Last year we spoke about the Gold Coast Magic that gathered a lot of attention, a lot of ground swell. Maybe this strengthens that.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a Queensland and now, so there is some affiliation there. It would make his drive a lot shorter.
Speaker 1: He would have to be the inaugural captain if they were.
Speaker 2: I think he's doing the ground work already. He's the one putting the uniform together. He's more than captain. There's more strengths to his both than just captaincy. So yeah, maybe that's maybe that's all part of this. Maybe maybe maybe this is part of the movie. He's thinking. If it goes to private ownership, maybe he's going to throw his hat in the rings and owner maybe something like that.
Speaker 1: So I didn't realize it was that.
Speaker 2: Well, neither did I throw that out there. But yeah, you never know.
Speaker 1: One thing that we may or may not see in the Big Bash in this coming season. There's so much uncertainty. We may see team songs emerge from the dressing rooms, which we've seen a bit in one hundred this season. It has been a tough watch. The Sunrises leads started with their own version of Leeds United Football Clubs Marching on Together. Didn't really go down that well, did it. I think we've got a bit of a clip here that we can play.
Speaker 2: Interested to hear your thoughts, but I've been on the not on the record, but people who know me, I've never liked team songs in any sport.
Speaker 1: Why what's you just.
Speaker 2: Don't I just think they're manufacturing there. I just think they're awful. Okay, okay, I think like in all sports, not just cricket when we've done it, but I always think it's funny you win a game, the first thing you do is go ling arms with a bunch of sweaty men and sing a song that was made one hundred and twenty years ago. Get that just my opinion, but I've always felt it's just so like manufactured. And the other thing with this one. Once you turn the camera on and film, it doesn't count if you're going to do it.
Speaker 1: Because that's extra manufactured.
Speaker 2: It is, isn't it like you know the Australian, so the Australian underneath the Southern Cross that kind of thing with the test like a test win. I can stomach that because that's I think it's behind closed doors. They've never really broadcasted out there for maybe the Docco once, but that's in a sanctum managed whereas you know these other ones they're they're they're way to put out there. It's way too the players are so you know, they're so self conscious. They're not they don't want to be doing it.
Speaker 1: They're apathetic, forced.
Speaker 4: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: So there's there's two parts of that. I'm not a fan at all anyway. But then once you turn a camera on and forced place to do it and they're reading off a piece of paper and looks you know, to hostage.
Speaker 1: And then well am I London? Then just a couple of days ago went they did a sort of a free from desire. They changed a few of the words, which included your franchise is terrified. Yes, better it was.
Speaker 2: It was definitely an improvement from the Leeds one.
Speaker 1: They seem to have a bit more well it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 1: All the classic song.
Speaker 2: They still weren't. They still weren't fully immersed. It's still manuf factored. Again, just talk about the game debrief. Have a beer. It's franchise cricket, right, it's not that deep. Let's let's let's let's shake hands, have a beer, have a shower. We'll probably got a game in a day. Let's go on the bus.
Speaker 1: Go huh yeah, I mean like sounds a bit like the Fun players. I mean, if you got guys.
Speaker 2: If you're all for dinner. But you look at the body language and those clips are those players. So they played for fifty six different franchises throughout the year.
Speaker 1: Come on, we see a bit in the County cricket where they all smash the bats into it.
Speaker 2: Again, it's a very uk thing that, especially smacking the locker and thecal And again you're going in as an overseas you're just you're doing it, but it's forced.
Speaker 1: So you have participated it. Well.
Speaker 2: When I played at camp, they had a team, so.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what it was, Come on, give us a few I.
Speaker 2: Just remember smacking a cricket bat into a rubbish bin or something. It's like barbary because what are we doing here? We played the gentlemen's game. So again it's to each their own and maybe that's county crickets a little bit more tradition, that's yeah. And I know the white ball team for Australia Zams, has tried to put one together. But we were singing freed from Desire. Yeah, when we won the World Cup, like that was our kind of team in But apart from that, I mean we survived.
Speaker 1: Just have the originals what you're saying, we're just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a song like that was he sing Hey true Blue? Don't they be for a after a Test win? Or you know there's there's certain things again behind closed doors, go for it, but you don't need to broadcast to the world because it looks terrible.
Speaker 1: It does. Yeah, not a good look. The valuation of those hundred teams coming down exactly.
Speaker 2: Less is more when it comes to social media in that regard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, excellent no, I think that's fair. I think that's fair. Like I don't mind the song aspect of it, because yeah, we see it assie sports. Yeah, and I know I've been part of some. I didn't play any sport at a high level, but sometimes after a great win, you really do want to get in there and belt out the song. Yeah, I've certainly been there. Okay, but you have to know the words. I think that's a key part of this. And you all have to be one hundred percent committed. If you're not, it just looks a bit crap.
Speaker 2: So any getting anything to one hundred.
Speaker 1: Percents hard it is, Yeah, yeah, especially there's.
Speaker 2: One week link the chain breaks. So yeah, not a fan.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe not on the same page there, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: But hit us up as well and give us some feedback. I could be in the minority, but I've always thought that.
Speaker 1: I've always thought after every episode, we should do our own really podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, that's funny, I've actually had my we'll debrief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll come back to that good suf Forrichow episode one in the bank this season time flies.
Speaker 2: You're on the road now, aren't you, So I'll be I'll take a little break.
Speaker 1: And yeah, well done, you've burnt it.
Speaker 2: Enjoy up North and all there is to offer. We'll see you in due course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll come back to you next week from Darwin, Luie Cameron and'll be back on deck. And yeah we've got Bow Webster as well on the podcast next week, so I want.
Speaker 2: To tune in, look for see then
Speaker 4: A s