Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torbert and coming up on today's show, Olivia Rodgers exes continue to cause headaches and the Matilda Jurf toilet scrubbing scandal. The first UK influencer, Saffron Barker, is continuing to soft launch her new boyfriend. So you are across all of this. I am heavily invested in this. I actually started following her new boyfriend as soon as I worked out who he is, because she has been doing daily Christmas flogs, vlogmus and randomly this Scottish male voice just started appearing in the background and she started referring to him as babe. Is very clear that this guy is basically living at her house. He's like this live in boyfriend that we haven't been introduced. So I noticed that something was amiss because the camera angle suddenly changed because he was filming. I'm guessing he's quite tall. Well, he is actually a model. That's what I've worked out from my stalking, So he is very tall, He's fit, he likes to take a lot of topless selfies, his selfies and Instagram game is a bit cringe. Is that what you're following? Well, he's not really my type because he's traditionally fabulous looking like a very good looking guy, but the way he posts almost makes him unattractive. Well the fact he's like early twenties as well. I looked up on Google, like I googled who is that from Barker's boyfriend, And when I clicked on his Instagram, I was like, why the hell is Sophie following him? Because he's only got what six thousand? Well, I did feel like a bit of a creep because he only had around three and four thousand when I first started following him, and obviously he's gained more followers over time. To me, I get the vibe that he's very keen to be involved in the vlogs. He's become a permanent fixture, like kind of a main character, even though we've only seen sort of the side of his face or him in the background in a mirror, because he's hanging out with her family a lot, which is also very weird. Because I want to say, for those any new listeners, we have been talking a lot about Saffron Barker's relationships this year because at the start of the year, she had a huge breakup with a guy called Lewis Rhys Zammitt, who actually ended up getting a spot on the Chief's lineup, well a rookie spot. Well, I mean he might not even be on the list anymore. I haven't and he dramatically cheated on her and all came out. So Saffron has a relationship podcast, and she was very forthcoming with saying that she's learnt her lesson. She's not going to be sharing every single detail about her a new partner if she gets one, So it's clear she's trying to do a different tactic. She thinks, Okay, he's going to be in all of my stuff, but I'm not going to introduce him. I'm not going to show his face yet. But that being said, it seems to be very serious already because he's pretty much living with her. I don't think a lot has changed, though she might be soft launching him at the moment, but his voice is still on there. It's still clear that she has a boyfriend and they're quite serious. Plus, she is known for dating people who live very far away from her, so her most recent boyfriend, Lewis, he actually lived in Wales and she was in Brighton in the UK, and then he of course moved to the US. And now this guy is from Scotland. So it seems like she has this particular type. And I'm wondering if he's spewing that he's not actually been able to be shown on the vlogs. Surely he will soon though, because he's been posting instagrams at her house while Saffron's away in New York. Well he's house sitting. Yeah, so Saffron is away in New York with her parents and he's looking after the house and he is posting about this house almost as though it's his own. He did a photo dump and has showed him in the kitchen cooking up a meal. And then he was in Saffron's gym. He took a photo a gym selfie of course, with her car fully visible in the backgrounds. That's a red flat. A lot of people online are saying that they hope he's not using her house to lure other girls there and pretend that it's his house. Puly not. I think that's he actually seems quite nice from what I've seen in the vlogs. But my only concern is this from what I've heard, but it's a case of deja vou, isn't it? Because this time last year that's when Saffron Hard launched her relationship with Lewis, and she also shared a log of them picking up her Christmas trip. I just hope that we don't see her a eyeing her and the new boyfriend's future kids, her getting any tattoos of his initials. I think she needs to play it a bit more cool because I'm a big Saffron Barker fan. She is one of my favorite influences that I follow after Molly may So I just hope the best for her. She always seems to be have no trouble getting boyfriends, but it just seems to be maybe she picks the wrong guy. Well. I also think she must have met him on Raya because that's where she met her last boyfriend. It's all these bloody models and athletes on there. She just needs to date someone that's normal. But I think that this guy might actually work for her because he doesn't seem to have much of a modeling career, like he doesn't seem to be busy that's he that he's using her. Yeah, that's what a lot of people are worried about. But he please not can work in the sense that she probably just wants someone to be around. I'm going to put a prediction out here. She will hard launch him on Christmas Day. There'll be a family photo with him in it or a selfie of them to who are these guys that are so willing to meet the family so quickly and hang around with people's grandparents and nieces and nephews. She is worth a lot of money. Well, she's got a very glamorous family, very glamorous life. How she's a lovely girl, beautiful guy. I mean some people you know when you know you know? Excuse me? Can you just can you hold my phone and film me for a second? Please recording. Olivia Rodgers' ex boyfriend, Morgan Waterhouse has taken a swipe at the former Miss Universe contestant despite breaking up over a year ago. Kate, can you tell us more?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Morgan has jumped on this TikTok trend about your Christmas wish list. So guys and girls are posting what they want in a partner, and they're saying Santa, can you please deliver this person? But he twisted it to seemingly throw shade at Olivia Rogers. So in the video, Morgan was casually sipping on a boost juice at the airport, and on the screen it said, dear Santa, five foot five, honest, obsessed with me, loves their family, doesn't cheat on me every time they leave the state. Hasn't won a beauty pageant, isn't a narcissist, doesn't gaslight me, loyal, loves puppies. Now I do need to point out he made a grammatical error with the word puppies, and a lot of people were annoyed in the comments about it. Now he added the caption at the bottom of the video, hope this reaches the North Pole as expected. This video blew up and at the time of recording it has over three hundred and fifty thousand views and one eight hundred send on. So I think that there were a lot of people, or a lot of girls sending this on to their friends, being like, I can't believe the shade he has thrown at Olivia. It's interesting because there were two camps of comments there well, one lot of women who seemed very interested in Morgan. A lot of them were saying, oh, would you accept a different height? What about five four eight? And originally I thought, oh, wow, this is actually organically blown up. But if you dig deeper, he's actually deleted a lot of the negative comments that people were posting about how petty he was being. Yeah, because this video probably would have got even more views had he left some of those comments up.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I was pretty quick to discover this video, and I saw not only people having a girl at him about it, but I saw people agreeing with him and having a bit of a laugh at Olivia's expense because he didn't try and conceal who he was speaking about. I mean the fact that he and his friends have immaturely come out before and accused her of cheating. You know, that line was fairly obvious about, oh, a girl that doesn't cheat on me every time she leaves the state. But then by backing it up by saying, you want a girl who hasn't been in a beauty paget, Yeah, you couldn't get more obvious. He may as well have said I want the opposite of Olivia Rodgers. Josh Moss from Love Island even waded into this, and he wrote the cheating every time she leaves the state. If you know, you know, that surprised me because I wouldn't think that you would want to be seen siding with Morgan Waterhouse. I quite like Josh Muss as well. That disappoints me. Yeah. Well, another influencer that's also weighed into this drama is Olivia White. So she said that she was inserting herself into something that had nothing to do with her. I mean, isn't that just TikTok in general? So basically her opinion was that this timing was very of considering what's been going down with Olivia Rogers's ex husband Justin mckin. Let's row to some of what she said. I don't think this is hitting how you want it to hit.
Speaker 2: And if it is hitting with said people, they're not the kind of people that you'd want around, do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, definitely not like.
Speaker 2: The type of people that you know, allegedly still a million dollars and have really serious drug problem, who you're like best friends with, so you know you are the company you keep. Just want to remind you that and you know maybe work on this because it's been a few years. It's been a few years, and clearly you're struggling, perhaps with seeing someone move on be happy, not with you, but you know, considering the company you've been keeping lately, I think that says more about you than it does about her.
Speaker 1: Now, this clap back from Olivia White went off, and she followed up with a second video sharing a photo of Morgan and Justin together, and she accused him of hitching his wagon on Olivia for his own personal gain and said he wasn't a good judge of character considering he befriended Justin. I thought that this was a bit of an interesting comment to say that because Morgan befriended Justin, it says a lot about his character. Now we know allegedly what Justin's been up to and been into, but by that theory, isn't she also suggesting that it says a bit about Olivia's character because she was married to the guy. She was very much defending Olivia Rodgers. But I did draw that parallel because I was like, well, unfortunately Olivia Rodgers is connected to both of these guys that don't have good characters. But normally when it's a woman, we pass it off as oh, they just a bad guy. I suppose the difference is that Olivia has dumped both of these guys. She has distanced herself, whereas Morgan, as soon as he and Olivia broke up, he spitefully met up the I mean, he just looked like a total knob, do it. Do you find it a bit hypocritical though, because if this was a woman who was scorned and cheated on and she put up an Instagram post out with this guy's ex'es and having a great time exchanging notes, everyone be like, go girl. But because it's a boy, everyone's like fucking petty as fuck. Yeah. But I think now that we have an insight into what was going on behind the scenes of Olivia and Justin's marriage, and she obviously would have shared that with Morgan, it just makes him look even worse. And the fact that Olivia and Morgan broke up so long ago, like maybe if he had come out after their breakup and had done an interview or something a bit classier than some sort of TikTok immature well gibe at her, well, people would have gone, oh, I feel sorry for Morgan. If he had been cheated on, but he's only ever alluded to it in really kind of icky way. I think it was how he got his friends involved. To swagger off in the comments section, well, you're actually talking about an incident that happened this time last year, if you can believe it, so nearly to the day. So basically we all knew that OLIVERA and Morgan had broken up because he'd got mia on her Instagram shortly after their trip to Balley in August. And she finally addressed all these breakup rumors in a Q and A in December, and she wrote, I am single. My ex is a lovely person. Sometimes things just don't work out, and she went on to say that she was planning to keep her future relationships more private on social media because it's so tricky to navigate a breakup, particularly when people are invested online. And it's quite interesting because now that we know more about the timeline, she started dating her new boyfriend Hugo in December, so that's when she actually had to put this information out that, yeah, me and Morgan have broken up now. An hour after Olivia shared this Q and A last December, Morgan responded with a cryptic quote that said loyal behind my back. That's my type. So meanwhile, influencer updates Au posted the news about the breakup to her feed, and she ended up getting an even juicier scoop in the process because Morgan's friends jumped in the comments to defend him and basically slag off Olivia. So one of them wrote that is because she wants to keep her six sexual partners a secret while dating Morgan, and then another one chimed in six, Haha, that's being nice, that's so fou. It was disgusting, and it really seemed like Morgan had instructed his friends to act like a mouthpiece for him. And this is the issue. All of these accusations being leveled at Olivia have been so slut shamy. And the interesting thing is, if this was five to ten years ago, everyone would have gone, oh my god and turned on Olivia and shamed her. But we're now living in twenty twenty four, we were like, this is actually disgusting. You know, these allegations have no factual basis at the moment. You know, you haven't even come out with any receipts to back then. I'm sure if he had the receipts, we'd be seeing them as well. I think another reason why people aren't buying Morgan's story or siding with him is because he's always come across as a bit of a cloud chaser. I mean, he and Olivia got together pretty soon after her breakup with her ex husband, and he always seemed to want to be very front and center in her content. It seemed very opportunistic, and it seemed like Morgan's video may have been in response to a TikTok that a live via shared earlier in the day, where it seemed like she took a dig at the men that she's previously dated. So she minded the song young Hearts Run Free, and in the caption, she wrote, I always used to think this was an upbeat love song, but recently really listened to the lyrics and realized it's actually about self love with a warning not to end up with someone who doesn't respect you. She then added, Candy's been warning people not to settle since nineteen seventy six. It's funny that he centered himself in this and thought, oh, it's a dig at me, because well, she was with Justin McKean for was it like four years beforehand got married to the guy all this news has broken about him recently. Yeah, but no, No, it's about Morgan Waterhouse, who she was in a rebound relationship with a couple of months. I thought it was fairly obvious it was a dig at justin McCann and not settling in a marriage that you were unhappy in. Well, it more so seems like he's a bit upset and jealous that Olivia's found love with this new guy who seems really lovely? Now? Is this remind me of Sydney Sweeney? Is this me? But he's got it? So as usual, Olivia Rogers was very classy about this whole thing, so she easily could have responded with her own dig at Morgan. However, she just shared a TikTok video with some happy snaps of her and a new boyfriend at the end of year celebration, and she referred to him as her favorite human, which I think was enough. It says a lot without having to say much. The timing of this is pretty terrible for Olivia because, as you touched on Kate, her ex husband was accused of allegedly stealing almost half a million dollars from his former employer to allegedly support a very serious drug habit, and the alleged theft came after his colleagues reported to their employer that Justin had been sleeping in the work toilets for up to four hours a day. It was reported in the press last week that Justin was meant to appear at a directions hearing in the Victorian Supreme Court. However, he was a no show, so the court had to extend a freezing order on his assets till April next year. So that means that he has to live on a of eight hundred dollars a week and that's for his ordinary living expenses and can pay up to ten thousand on reasonable legal expenses. It is becoming quite concerning because Justin hasn't made contact with his lawyer since November eleven, when he was contacted by lawyers acting for his former employer, so there are fears that he is potentially missing at the moment. Yeah, well, to not show up in court is a big deal and it's clear that these allegations have really rocked him. He's deactivated his Instagram account and LinkedIn. I really hope that his family are looking after him and he's okay, because this is just awful watching this allt and I think that this is why a lot of people are rather outraged by Morgan's post, because the timing is just very off. I mean, I understand that this is Olivia's ex husband, but it's still going to be affecting her on a certain level. There's already so much speculation and attention on her for something that has nothing to do with it. She doesn't need even more of it from another ex pop. It just seems gross that he's piggybacking off this horrible moment in both Justin and Olivia's lives and trying to get attention from it. I also did my Vegan Collagen and Simos makes and I needed to get some work done before I headed to the office. Jen said it girl. An entrepreneur Matilda Jef has been accused of inflicting psychological terror on her employees at a hugely popular lifestyle brand, jurf Avenue. Eleven former and current employees made the startling claims on a Swedish documentary, accusing Matilda of bullying, fat phobia and what's been touted as the toilet scrubbing scandal. So before we get into it, can you bring us up to speed with who Matilda Jurf is. Yeah. Well, she is a twenty seven year old Swedish influencer and she has over four point five million followers across TikTok and Instagram. She's known for her signature bouncy blonde hair and having this really scandy, cool girl aesthetic. I feel like she's single handedly created hype around the dice and air rap as well. And she started gaining traction from documenting her travels with her boyfrid Friend and people really loved the aspirational nature of her posts and she quickly began making money through brand deals and also modeling. It's interesting now some of these claims have come to light to know that as a teenager, Matilda actually suffered from anarexia and orthorexia, which led her to become an advocate for mental health and body positivity. Now she has developed a very squeaky clean image. She's built this personal brand around being kind and she even earned herself the title of the Internet's Sweetheart. Today, she is known as being one of the most influential people not only in Sweden but the world, and in twenty nineteen, Matilda really took her career to the next level, so she founded lifestyle and fashion brand Jeff Avenue alongside her boyfriend, and this brand quickly resonated with a large global audience. So young girls fell in love with the clothing staples she had, hair products, homewhors Sophia. I feel like this is the sort of stuff that you would be purchased. Yeah. I mean, I think you've got to be living under a rock not to have seen the Jeff Avenue dressing gown. It's their signature dressing gown which has fruit all over it. I think literally every TikToker or everyday person who creates to get Ready with Me video is wearing this dressing gown. Yeah. I really wanted one when I was pregnant because every mummy TikToker was wearing it, and I was like, oh, maybe I'll look into that. It's a couple of hundred bucks. Yeah, when I dressing. When I looked up the price, I think it's actually close to four hundred dollars. Is absolutely crazy. I'm just gonna get vomped on it. Yeah. Well, this brand really took off during COVID and since then Jeff Avenue has had pop up stores in major cities like Stockholm, London, and New York. It's also collaborated with Fellow Girls. So Hailey Bieber and Sofia Richie have done collaborations with the brand. And it's so crazy because in such a short amount of time, Jeff Avenue has already reached thirty five million dollars in revenue, so it is enormous this brand. It's interesting because most people actually predicted that Matilda would have some sort of fall from grace because normally once you build up, people drag you down tall poppy syndrome, well, particularly if you have a squeaky clean image. Yeah, and I thought that last year was that for her because she was involved in this dupe scandal. So the Jurf team noticed that smaller influencers were sharing dupes of their products and started reporting their videos on TikTok and at the time, the company shared a statement saying that intellectual property lawyers were flagging content that they believed infringe their copyright. Now, a lot of fans called Matilda out because they thought it was really hypocritical because she became so popular on TikTok for actually posting dupes of luxury designer items, and the backlash actually led to Matilda temporarily deactivating her account, and at the time a lot of large female creators came out to fiercely defend Matilda. They said that women are always held to different standards in business and that it was all part of tall poppy syndrome, and really this scandal has been the only chink in Matilda's armor until now this week, startling new claims made in a sweet this documentary and also picked up by Sweden's largest newspaper, have described Jeff Avenue's workplace as far from the polished facade because something that has really resonated with Jeff avenues gen Z audience was its commitment to inclusion and also sustainability. So on Jeff Avenue's website, it describes as workplace as a place of respect and inclusion and a place to create a supportive and inspiring environment. This sounds very cynical, but it's normally these type of places that have the exact opposite of that environment that they put The journalist Joanna Ekstrom has spoken to eleven format and current employees in this documentary who describe Jeff Avenue as a toxic workplace. They said that the company's outward image is nothing like the reality of working there. In fact, it is the complete opposite. Now, these employees appeared on camera, but they remained anonymous with their faces concealed, and it quickly became apparent how scared these women were of Matilda and also the potential repercussions that may come their way. Now, the majority of people working at Jeff Avenue are all young girls who presumably thought they'd landed their dream job working alongside this generation's it girl. I mean, when they probably got the job. Can you imagine the messaging their friends being like, I can't believe I get to work with her. It seems like this is on the next level, though, because someone has actually described it as everyday psychological terror that was being carried out in this office, Like that is next level. Yeah, It's clear that a lot of these employees were terrified of Matilda because one described her treatment as psychological violence. So the employee said that after working at Jeff Avenue she started to feel like she was losing herself and her mind. She described it as being in a destructive relationship. One other employee also said that she has never been so scared of a person in her whole life, alleging that Matilda would yell at employees in front of the whole office and she was scared every day that she would get a scolding, whilst as another said, I was scared of Matilda. I didn't like it when she was in the room. She was condescending. She could be disgusted by the fact that you took public transportation. There was this general vibe from the employees that Matilda thought that she was better than all of her staff, and they even said that she wouldn't say hello to a lot of them. Yeah. Another claim she would call them names and ask them if they were stupid. She also alleged that anything and everything would set Matilda off, saying she could yell at someone if there was no coffee, She could yell at someone if you were sitting in the wrong seat. She could yell at someone if her food hadn't been heated up, if there was anywhere that wasn't clean. She would completely lose her temper. Is it wrong that the whole time you were reading out these terrible accusations that I was just thinking, Wow, I'm shocked that she's so hands on in her business because a lot of influences you probably wouldn't see them at all. She's giving out the bollocking herself also. Yeah, but also a lot of influencers don't really operate in the day to day of their businesses. I'm not sticking up for me? Are you taking out off to it? And I think that's embarrassing is that it's such a different view that she put. That's what I'm trying to say. It's actually to her detriment. And maybe that's why a lot of influencers don't work in the operations of their business because it's probably best not for their personal brain. I actually heard Lucy and Nikki from The Wild Ones, and also Sammy Robinson who owns one Mile, talking about how difficult it is being influential and owning a brand, because they said they're often worried what people are going to say to their friends if they tell them off, or I feel like Matilda didn't have any of these worries. I know we're having a bit of a laugh about this, but some of these accusations are very serious because a lot of the workers spoke about having panic attacks after encounters with Matilda, and one claimed they developed anxiety after working with her. One employee also said that so many people were completely broken after working with her, and claimed that tears were a daily occurrence in the office. It shows how arrogant she is to think that these kind of allegations aren't going to get out there. I mean to surely she would have some idea how rudely she was speaking to the stuff, and to think that no one was going to say anything, it shows how powerful she thinks she is. I feel like for anyone who's thinking maybe these weren't that serious, this really puts into perspective because one employee said she realized she stopped eating, and after she quit at Jeff Avenue, she was walking along the street and she spotted Matilda and her boyfriend and she ended up collapsing in her partner's arms, just at the side of them and had a panic attack on the street. That's absolutely awful. Amy to what you said in terms of Matilda thinking that this wouldn't get out I'm assuming that Swedish laws are pretty similar to Australian in that you make employees sign a contract where they won't actually discuss anything that goes on in the business, so a lot of them probably were bound by some sort of gag order. Well, it seemed like she was also banking on the women being so terrified of her and the repercussion. It's just even general chitchat on the street, Like, even if you're bound by a confidentiality agreement, surely she would have been concerned about idle gossip from PEP, especially if they're all young women and they're the same demographic of people who follow her. Yeah. Well, I wonder if any disgruntled employees were involved in the last scandal dropping around the dupe and maybe they helped get that out into the public domain. Can we get into my favorite claims which are being made, and that is around a toilet scrubbing incident. So the workers made claims about favoritism culture where employees were moved up and down in the hierarchy. So they claimed if you couldn't work over time, you would automatically fall lower in rank, but if you did the right thing, you would fall into her favorites category. And one of the most shocking claims was that Matilda had her own private toilets so it was closed off to only her and her favorite employees. So in the documentary, they showed a photo that one of the employees had secretly snapped off the toilet door, so it had had this little hand written sign on it that said please don't use with a little love hut. Now, one day, allegedly that sign fell off and an employee used the toilet by mistake. They didn't understand the rules, maybe they were new, and when Matilda found out, she allegedly went nuts and made another employee scrub the toilet before she would use it again. Now, the employee said she doesn't even want to use the same toilet as us, when not people were not colleagues to her. Now, I have to say, I think that she is taking this whole clean girl aesthetic to a whole new level. Having a separate toilet that your colleagues and team members are not allowed to use. It's unpopular opinion. In no way do I think that this is correct, But I would actually have loved to have my own toilet at my work. Yeah, but I'm sure if a colleague accidentally used it, you wouldn't scold them and then punish them by making the scrubble clicks. Having worked sof and I worked in newsrooms. It's not as if the newsreaders have their own personal toilets. It's not as if they think that they're better than everybody her office, like is it behind glassdoor or something. My favorite part of this is that there's a note with like a little patronizing love heard on her they do use. Can you imagine all of her favorites, the look they would give everyone else when they go up to you to key in, because it wasn't a key, it was just the sign. And I suppose also the alleged terror that she was reeking over the office that no one probably everyone had been too scared to set foot in there. Do you think someone's reverse can't get the toilet and she's got as like a fuck you? I also said, how nervous they are. I'm assuming there are a few nervous poos going on. When irritual bow going on, there was clearly some unspoken rule, like nobody's allowed to do a number two in this toilet. Oh my god, you're telling me though, that all that fresh girl, healthy living, all that match, they're not using that toilet for more than another one. Maybe that's much she wants it because she doesn't want it getting out that she's done a big work and going on TikTok. But that's why. Another startling claim that was made in this documentary was accusations of fat phobia. So Jeff Avenue has always positioned itself as a company that champions inclusion, and Matilda previously told reporters that everyone is worth the same and everyone has the right to be seen. Meanwhile, the employees who spoke on camera claimed that Matilda allegedly refused to use a photo of a plus sized model, saying we have to reshoot this because she looks so fucking fat in these clothes. We can't show that now. There were also further claims of body shaming of employees. So one employee stated to one person she said that her butt didn't fill out the genes, and to another she said her butt filled up the genes too much. So she was comparing employees in different pairs of jeans. It's got like the Goldilocks. One too hot, one with two cold, and one was just right. Well I know, sorry, I don't mean to laugh at this, but it's just absolutely insane. There was a movie when somebody puts across just such a different image of line. Well, another employee has also come out and said that employees were exploited if they had an appearance that didn't fit the norm. So what she's saying there is that some employees who were plus size or of a different ethnicity, they were heavily featured on the company's social media accounts because they thought it looked really good to be saying, oh, we've got a very inclusive working force here. But again she said it wasn't genuine. They didn't treat those people with respect. I'm actually not that surprised because I think if you looked into a lot of other companies closer, you would find that there's a lot of virtue signaling going on, and that's why people get frustrated by it, because it does seem just not genuine. In this case, it clearly isn't, because this isn't something that she stands for now all Matilda was notably absent from this documentary. We didn't hear from her, she didn't provide a statement for the documentary, and the journalist Joanna said that she had barely started her investigation when Geoff Avenue reached out to her. Questioning why she had asked former employees about their working environment. Maybe one of the girls that got the key to the toilet snitch Now. Joanna immediately suggested lining up an interview with Matilda to share her side of the story, and the company flat out said no.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The journalists also mentioned in her piece to camera in this documentary that the workplace problems were well known to Jeff Avenue's HR and management team, yet nothing was done. She alleges when the employees spoke to HR and the CEO, they said, it's always been like this and that's just the way it is. They also allegedly retorted, what do you want us to do? We can't fire Matilda. So is Matilda just the founder of the company or does she actually have a specific role within it. Well, a lot of publications are reporting that she's the CEO, but she is actually the co founder. So they've employed someone else to act as the CEO. Probably a wise move. Most people would do that and employ a CEO. I know at Kick, their co founder, Laura Henshaw is actually the CEO, which makes more sense because she has got a background in law and she's very intelligent. But I actually think listening to her podcast recently that she's going to handle that job onto someone else and focus on because her days looks so stressful whenever she posts about them, like God, she works hard. We're getting back to Jeff Avenue. I was so enraged when I heard the HR just stood back and did nothing for these employees, particularly if you look at Amy and my story. We had terrible treatment from the HR team at our former employer, and a lot of the time, unfortunately, they are just there to protect the employer and not the employee. So it made me so sad to see that these women, these young women, had come forward trying to make change in this awful and toxic workplace environment and they were just ignored. And I just want to say, it's so brave that they've actually found the courage to come out and make these claims, particularly against someone who is so powder. The best thing is that the reaction has been so good from the public. People are believing these women, and people are going, fuck you, Matilda, I'm not going to follow you well. Matilda did release a statement acknowledging the seriousness of the claims, so she apologized for any negative experiences her employees had endured and expressed her commitment to fostering a respectful work She said, I take the criticism that has come forward very seriously and want to be clear that a safe and respectful work environment is crucial for me, both as a person and the founder of Jeff Avenue. She continued. If any staff member has felt mistreated or ill equipped in their role due to my actions, that is something I am truly sorry for and apologize for. It was never my intention to contribute to a work environment that negatively affects anyone, and I am sorry that there are employees who have had such experiences. She also went on to say that she didn't recognize herself in the claims and is choosing not to comment on individual cases. She said, however, I think it's valuable that this is highlighted, as it gives both me and Jeff Avenue the opportunity to develop and become better. I want to emphasize that I take my responsibility and see this as an opportunity to reflect, develop and contribute to a better culture for all my employees at Jeff Avenue. I will work actively with my leadership and, among other things, continue to receive support from a coach The Sweetest Location also spoke to the COO of Jurff Avenue, Panila, Bonnie, who said the company is aware of areas in need of development, including leadership. Bonnie also confirmed that Matilda does have a private toilet, describing it as a measure to help keep the influencer healthy. She said our office makes it possible to offer this solution without affecting other employees access to facilities, and that the note will remain in place. She also clarified that she believes it's not reasonable that an employee had to clean a bathroom outside their job description. She said she wants to make it clear that such a situation should never occur. So I can't get my head around this toilet business. So are you telling me that there's a row of cubicles and there's a sign on one door that says no one else's life is there in a private room. It's separate. It's a private room far away from the other toilet. Well, I'm not proximity, but we just saw a white door that wasn't a cubical door, but a white separate toilet door. Now, is it the same toilet that she's taken off I'm not sure. I want to know if this has happened in any other people's workplace. Are their private toilets in other businesses? Yeah? Well, I mean what also really stood out to me about Matilda's statement is that she didn't really refute any of the claims, No, just sort of acknowledged them. I mean, to me, that screams that all of this happened allegedly, and it's like, it wasn't my intention. It makes people feel bad. It wasn't really poor response, isn't it. It wasn't my intention to be a total jerk and terrorize the office. Do you guys think she'll be able to come back from this? Well, since the scandal broke, some of Matilda's most devoted fans have vowed to boycott jerf Avenue. So there's all these videos of young women wearing the signature dressing gown that are going viral, and they're asking their audience what they're planning on doing with all of their jerf Avenue items now, and underneath one of these videos, I thought it was very telling because a follower wrote, I have so many items from her, and I love my tote bag because it was so big but it says jef Avenue on it, so I'm embarrassed to wear it. Does that mean some of these fruit dressing games going on, you could probably get a dupe from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's kind of like when Chloe Zepp everyone was selling their stuff or burning their zep So you don't want to be seen in it, No you don't, but I mean I'm not going out in public and addressing it. Well, still a cute dressing guy. I mean, I don't want to support her, but I'll get one dirt cheek. I was really intrigued to see how this scandal actually affected her follow account because since then, on Instagram she's lost over fifty thousand followers, and on her jurf Instagram account she's lost twelve thousand. It's not heaps considering that she has four millions. Yeah. Well, it hasn't actually even affected her teaktok following, so she's continuing to steadily gain followers like normal. Her accounts have been flooded, though, with fans expressing their disappointment. So one fan wrote, unfortunately unfollowing, terrible behavior of you if you can't see your employees as fellow humans. How are you supposed to see your fans as one Exposing others to bullying and harassment is completely mindless. Remember we are living in the year twenty twenty four. You need to take responsibility for your behavior and get down to earth a bit. I think the reason why we haven't seen more people unfollow Matilda Jerf is because she's one of those huge influences, a bit like Kim Kardashian where people will just follow her because she's a huge influencer. The follows as well, now yeah, and they're not as invested in her life. I think a large amount of the people who have unfollowed her are the die hard Matilda Jurf fans, which actually speaks volumes because they're saying, I'm not putting up with this shit. I actually follow you and used to respect you, and now I've hit Those are the unfollows that are going to be most damaging to her and her brand, because those are the people that actually genuinely convert to sales. Yeah. And also, I have noticed a trend. We spoke about it probably months ago now on the podcast, but a lot of people who end up trolling influencers were once fans of those influences, and as soon as that parasocial relationship changes because a lot of people are like, Wow, we thought we knew her, but she's totally different, and they will then turn into the people that investigate her, remove and talk about tatle Lie. I know a lot about her, they've got AMMO, and they essentially probably now want to continue to bring her down. The whole thing is quite comical in the sense that people are like, She's not what I thought she would be. Like, what some absolute glamazon girl who is rich and has everything that she wants isn't a nice person? I am utterly shocked. Well, that's when it comes across like a high school bulld like someone who thinks that they're better than everyone. The whole clean girl aesthetic too thing. It's quite funny with this toilet scandal because it is like everyone else is so filthy. I need my clean space away from everyone. I think it is too soon to know the financial hit that this is going to have on Jeff Avenue. I really don't know how they can come back from this and rebuild, because, as we've said, it's at the point where it's embarrassing if you look like you're publicly supporting this brand and their designs are so recognizable. Yeah, but scandals happen so quickly, especially on TikTok, like this will probably be forgotten by next month. I think Jeff Avenue will be known as a mean girl brand from now. Yeah. People aren't going to buy into the shit as well, like all their virtue signaling, because before it's oh, it's about inclusion, and I mean I think Genzetta's in particular are very ethical when it comes to the brands that they want to support, and they don't want to particularly the fat phobic claims as well. See I think it's outrage culture and then people go, oh, but I really like that. Well that's where we're going to leave things today. If you do love the show, please leave us a review and on Thursday we'll be back in your ears with our Christmas special with Leah. It's seen us. I'm very excited for us. That's a good one. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to elders past and present,