Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Oh my god, Oh my god, the glow Have you seen the glow come from pats I've noticed that I don't use I don't use the word halo very often, but I just called it as I say it. I can't even look at it because it's like twenty sons because someone here has arisen once more as a radio Acro winner, double awards, back to back. It was the big radio awards over the weekend in Sydney and Patsy won the same awards he won last year, second time running.
Speaker 2: Well done. You may now refer to me as Dame Patsy please today.
Speaker 1: To be honest, we we have been doing that for a while before I even't met you.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Look honestly, and I did say Friday, I really honestly didn't. I sort of my spidery senses generally, I know when I feel good about something, do you know what I'm saying? And I just had no hint at all Friday, Like, I honestly thought, like, what are the chances of back to back? I'm so overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Has any news presenter everyone back to back?
Speaker 2: Best news reader not sure, Jack, I don't think so. Sure, I don't think so. But it is incredibly overwhelming. And deb Knight read out the nominees, which was also a thrill for me because ila.
Speaker 1: Who I listen to this? Who is Deborah Knight?
Speaker 2: Oh, Debora Knight's a big.
Speaker 1: She's a dre Knight's mom.
Speaker 2: No, no, Deborah, Deborah Knight is a legendary news reader and journalist. She's on two GB at the moment. And I've always loved Deb's work and introduced myself to it The Australian opened a couple of years ago. You know, I was one of those annoying people. I thought, you know what, I'm just going to go up to her and tell her how much I adore her. Anyway, when I walked into the room Saturday night, she actually remembered me and came up to me before the awards even got up underway. So that was a thrill. You must have left an impression at the tenth Jack, I must have. And Dicky was there as well, But it was, oh, it was. It felt different to last year. What are you laughing at? We didn't say who Dicky was either.
Speaker 1: We're going to get quite the story here.
Speaker 2: Great story at the end of the night. No, No, it did feel different to last year. Like last year felt I don't know, I can't explain it. This year I felt, I think I've grown a lot this year. If I can sort of sound a bit egotistical, I think I've grown a lot within myself and into my skin. And I think that's a lot to do with now I'm in my fifties and I'm probably more comfortable and confident, perhaps, But what I love most about, Yes, it's a news reading awed, but it's also about what I love most about. My job is obviously working on the show, but also the connection with the audience. And I love obviously informing people, but telling them stories. That's that's what I love. You live for stories. And yeah, I'm just I'm really overwhelmed, Hue.
Speaker 1: You so deserve all the recognition he're getting at the WAW. It's been it's been too long before you've had due recognition for just how great you are. So tell me what was your action from like, because chrisaw where We Love God was there and Audi was there as well. They must be so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Oh, they were so excited. So they were staying. It was held at Star City in Sydney, and they were staying in the hotel, so they were like six flights up.
Speaker 1: And you did fancy bringing them down so they could actually see you. Take the key with me. Don't get don't come out, don't come down.
Speaker 2: Embarrassment, it's mummy's snape, I said to them. They were very reluctant, but I said, I think you'll be allowed to come to the red carpet just to see, you know, what happens and helps. It was more about involving them because they're such a major. I couldn't do this if it wasn't for Chris is just phenomenal and lets me most of all, lets me be me and doesn't want to change me and just accept. You know, it's a hard life. You guys would know it's a hard life for your partners. It's almost like being a single parent a lot of the time. You know, they pick up so much of the slack, and then when you are home in the second part of the day, you can be so tired and grumpy, and they do have to pick up so much. Their husband and wife a lot of the time, and he is he is an absolute rock He's absolutely phenomenal as a dad and I love him to bits. And it's as much their award as it is mine and Caitlyn producer Caitlyn had Audy on FaceTime and so they did come down to the red carpet, or they they did come down to the red carpet and then retreat it because it was just you know, it's a squash, you know what it's like, it's just people everywhere. So he's everyone in their suits and they're in their tracky decks or did they know they did.
Speaker 1: Hotel address those little selfish again.
Speaker 2: He did have his boat shoes on and his denim shorts, but you know.
Speaker 1: That look. To be fair, he's probably slightly smarter than some of the troubladytes that work in radio. They come into Old Big Smoke once a year for a radio wards and a drink cup.
Speaker 2: But Alreadie, when I got back to the table, it was very early the award. It was like eight thirty this year. It's normally sort of they push news off to the back end of the of the night, so that kind of took us unawares. It's like, well, okay, well.
Speaker 1: Then they probably realized last year like she's been drinking. All right, let's do before she gets like a second win. Otherwise, don't letting go of that microphone. Make sure it's done before night chairs.
Speaker 2: Getting thrown across the room. So yeah, So Caitlin was facetiming Ords and and she sent me you know the party emoji and goes yay your number one again, mum, And and I just wrote back to her, you know everything I do, Ords, this is all for you and I.
Speaker 1: On the sixth floor that don't come down. I told you don't watch your face time. Have a look at the red carpet. It's actually then.
Speaker 2: And I just wanted it to know when we tell her all the time, never let anyone tell you that you can't do anything.
Speaker 1: Because she picked that up on the FaceTime WiFi. This kind of go I catch you up with you tomorrow. I'm going to go get a party, got a guy.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to know that because all through my career I've been told by people that know, not good enough or no, you're the news girl. You can't cut into being on the show with people you meant to do the news. And and that's you know, tribute to Christian the way that he does our show and the way he's always done his show. He's involved the whole team, and I'm so grateful for the opportunities that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a well done Patsy. You really deserve your double awards as well. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast