Speaker 1: Tin salmon can be nutritious and affordable as a protein option, but are all tin salmon's as good as each other? Hi, I'm leanne Ward and I'm Sissy Burrow, and as two of Australia's leading dietitians, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in Australian supermarkets. On today's episode, Susie, we chat through three different types of tin salmon. We've done tin tunea before. We have such a great spots with it, we'd come back and do tin salmon and some of the pros and cons of these and shout out to our recently graduated dietitian Amy, who has helped us pull some of these together today. So the first one we're going to go through, SUSI is the John West Olive Oil blend of salmon. It's a small ninety five grand tin two dollars ninety, so not that budget friendly for a very small tin. Like it's a single served tin two dollars ninety. I must say whenever I buy salm, and it's only ever when it's half price, and I really stuck up and throw them in the back of the pantry. So I never paid full price for salmon hot tip, this one being nine five grand serving. The nutrition label is relevant when it's trained, so when it's drained is about eighty one grams. So we've got eight hundred and twenty five kilodules per hundred grams, which is just shive of two hundred calories, eighteen point nine nearly nineteen grams of protein per hundred grams. Thirteen point six grams of fat are the majority of that is healthy fats, and one point nine grams of that saturated. It's just a dat jay in the label, which I think is good to carbs and sugar as we would expect less than one gram dietary fiber as we would expect zero, and sodium three hundred and fifty milligrams, so there's a bit of added salt in here. And we look through the ingredient list, we've got pink salmon at sixty percent, followed by water, followed by eleven percent olive oil, sunflower oil as well, some salt and some natural color from paprika, which is interesting. They're making the salmon even pinker.
Speaker 2: Wow, sixty you're not getting much salmon in there, just over half of the tin.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't. I don't love it, and I think a lot of people would pick that up with olive oil being an olive oil blend, thinking that's a good, healthy type of oil. I know a lot of my clients are really opposed to the you know, the salmon's and the tunas in spring water. They want a little bit of flavor in there. So I don't mind some of the ones in olive oil. But you know, you know, getting as you said, sixty percent of the ten salmon, you're paying for quite a lot of water. If sixty percent salmon eleven percent olive oil, you got to assume at least twenty percent water in there. But it's got a decent amount of protein, I guess, you know, nearly nineteen grams per serve is not too bad. No, so fifteen grams per serve, nineteen grams per one hundred grams, so it's still I guess, quite low. Like ideally from a fat loss perspective, Susie, you and I are typically aiming for twenty to thirty grams per client. So if this was the only protein serve in your meal, I would say you probably want to bump it up with a little something more. So this kind of sits mid range to me, Susie, I don't know, like I did. There's a couple of things in that ingredient went in there. You know, at least sort of eighty ninety percent of it's available, and you advertising it as an olive oil, but then you're adding sunfly oil in as well. It's a little bit of added salt. Which does that really need to be there? I'm not sure. In the natural color it's coming from papka. There's nothing wrong with paprika, but again, do we need to be adding that in?
Speaker 2: Don't know. I love tin salmon. It takes me back to when I was a young girl and we used to go with my nana to the DJ's Food Caught at Bankstown Square and have red salmon sandwiches. It was just soapmet And I remember when I went on Fresh Cooking back almost twenty years ago with Pete Evans and he told me it was like cat food and he would.
Speaker 1: Never use it.
Speaker 2: But I love it.
Speaker 1: And look where Pete Evans is now, and look where you are, Susie.
Speaker 2: Here you go. I love it and I love the red one, which is even more expensive than these some of the ones we picked today. I think this is a terrible product, and I think you've been kind to it. I wouldn't give it any more than a five or six out of ten because there's hardly any salmon in there, and the America three is are actually really low, much much lower than fresh filets.
Speaker 1: And you're paying for it too, like you're paying two ninety for a small tin. They don't miss you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's quite expensive, and it's a blend of olive oil and other crap oil, and the Amega three is actually quite low in it, so I think, and the price three bucks for that tiny tin, I'm really disappointed.
Speaker 1: And also made in Thailand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I actually think there are much better varieties out there. And as I said, I normally buy red myself, so I haven't been really across these, so this is really eye opening for me. But I think that's really disappointing from John West too. Usually do a great red salmon, I must say, But yeah, I wouldn't time recommend or give it any much. I shouldn't be putting color back in now, I will say, Leanne, you have to put a bit of salt in the salmon, or it tastes shocking, So you would expect salt in a tin salmon. That is one thing. It's not overly high for tin fish because otherwise it tastes pretty blah. But yeah, sixty percent is way poor, so very underwhelming.
Speaker 1: I must say I'm not the best judge of tin salmon because I don't need to eat tin tuna. The funny thing is, I can't get past the taste. I have a lot of clients to say I won't touch tuna, but I'll eat tin salmon. I'm the opposite. I won't touch tin salmon. I love salmon, It's one of my favorite foods in the world, but it has to be a fresh billet. I really can't eat tin salmon. I can do, you know, the nice smoked salmon and the cold the cold smoked salmon as well, and the wood smoked one. But I can't do tin salmon. So I wouldn't even realize. That's why they at salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not alone. I have a lot of people who won't eat harel, eat tuna and just won't eat tin salmon, so it's quite a personal thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whether you like it or not. Yeah, all right. And then the second one we've got today is the wool West salmon in spring water. So, as I mentioned, I had a lord, I have a hard time confusing clients to eat either tunea or salmon in spring water. But I think we picked it today because I think it's got some interesting talking points. So it's a dollar forty, So from a price perspective, a dollar forty for a small ninety five grand tin. You know, we're tween half price. Like, it's pretty good. So per hundred grams, three hundred and sixty eight kilo jills or sort of eighty eight calories, So this is less than half the amount of calories in the John West pland because it's in water, not in oil, it's got seventeen point nine grams of protein per one hundred grams, one point five grams of fat, five hundred and seventy seven milligrams of amiga three, So more protein, more amigas. One would naturally assume that it probably has more salmon in it as well. Sousic it, we'll get to that carbohydrate zero point five grams best basically nothing soum two hundred and fifteen, which, as you mentioned, is fine, it's not an overly large amount. And they listed calcium as well, which I think is good and interesting. Per one hundred grams, there's two hundred and thirty milligrams, so that's it. That's a significant amount. That's high than some of our plant based milk's out there, which is nice. And then ingredient wise, we've only got three. We've got pink salmon at sixty one percent, so again not overly high, but there were thirty eight percent spring water and some salt, so a much cleaner ingredient list. But at the same time we're still only looking at sixty percent salmon, but at least you're paying half price for the sixty percent salmon. Unluck the John West one, well, it's.
Speaker 2: Interesting that it's got so much more omega three in it, and it would be argue, so it's a better up. Well, they're saying it's in a wild Alaskan salmon, so I'm assuming that is possibly. Wow, the omega threes are higher in that product.
Speaker 1: And the protein amount is higher as well.
Speaker 2: I love how they list the calcium. Calcium is great, so if you do like tin salmon, it's a great way to bump your natural intake of calcium up. We've got to include those little bones, but they're really easy to eat if you mash them in, And yeah, it makes it nutritionally a very strong product and natural source of calcium. But yeah, I just think at half the price, even though it's only sixty percent, they're only putting some water in there, and you're getting a really nice dose of Amiga threes for you know, what is it? A dollar fifty something? Really cheap. So I love it. I think if you like tin salmon, and I also like them in a kichhe like eggs and even a bit of cream and some pink or red salmon, delicious. But again I might be out there on my own in terms of enjoying the salmon. But if you like it a very budget friendly choice to add to your jacket potato or in a ki shaw as like a similar like a tuna MORNEI delicious.
Speaker 1: I make it for me even though I don't like it. I make it for her. I make little salmon patties, so I'll grate up some carrot and some zucchini, chop up some mushrooms and onion, put it in with a little bit of flour, cheese and a little bit of just a couple of eggs and a dash of milk and make them into little patties and either pan further than or throw them into the air fry. Then I just freeze whatever leftovers I have and I just bring them out and warm them up. When you know I need a quick and easy meal for her and she goes for them, I'd say sixty seventy percent of the time when she's not having a fussy day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a great salmon sweet potato patty recipe actually that a lot of people like, so, yeah, really budget friendly at this point in time when food is so expensive and you may not be able to include smoke or fresh salmon filets in your budget. If you do, like salmon patty is a really smart choice for a budget friendly meal which is rich and a mega threes of course for families.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and good to throw into something like a homemade poke bowl as well. If you've got a bit of rice at a mami, you can throw some salads in there, like some carrots and some cucumbers, a little bit of you know, chop up some norriy sheets and sesame seeds and a bit of mao on top. Again budget friendly, really healthy, you know, quite nourishing lunch or dinner meal as well. And then lastly, Susie, this one excites me. So it's the cold big salmon. So it's four dollars seventy, but it's a big, it's a big, it's almost a can. So it's four hundred and fifteen gram so, you know, three times the size of the other one. There's four servings per pack, and one serving is eighty four grams, but we'll do per one hundred grams, so it's on comparison to the other ones. So it's four dollars seventy. But that's actually a lot cheaper than the other tins because they were you know, a dollar forty and two dollars ninety for just ninety five grams. This is four hundred and fifteen grams of four seventy, so much more budget friendly. Ber one hundred grams have got five hundred and thirty three killer jewels or roughly one thirty calories. We've got twenty one grams of protein, so the highest amount of protein. Four point eight grams of total fat with a lot of that being our healthy unsaturated fats that we want, no carbohydrate, no dietary fiber as expected, three hundred and sixty milligrams of sodium and two hundred and thirty milligrams of calcium. And look at this, SUSI look at the ingredient list, ninety nine percent pink salmon and salt. Beautif that is exactly what we want to be seeing in a nutrition label. Like basically that whole tin is salmon, which.
Speaker 2: Is awesome, and it's really quite low sodium as well, which gives you an idea that you don't need a lot to flavor it up. And look at those beautiful DHA seven hundred milligrams almost a gram in one hundred grams. So this is really good quality fish. And this is actually a product that I would go and buy, having now become aware of the price point, which is amazing, just four dollars seventy for that huge serve, which would feed the entire family within a mixed meal if you're making patties or into a kiche, and really good quality. So this is a great fish. Now they've really labeled it where it's been caught and made in the USA, and I just will make a note because when it comes to things like salmon, and of course I'm a consultant for Tassau, which is a salmon company in Australia who farms fresh fish, but particularly when it comes to tinfish. First of all, we have to be a little bit careful with getting too judgmental about where it's coming from. And the reason I say that is that naturally salmon is in the largest supply in certain waters of the world, So we're never going to have the supply here in Australia because our climate environment is not going to be able to produce the amounts I think how much tin fish around the world is required, so it's never going to probably come in those volumes from here. So you know, I think we have to we get all on a high horse about where food comes from. And yes, of course where we can we want to be able to have Australian produce, But I wouldn't be concerned that, in particular a type of tin salmon was coming from USA or Canadian waters because that's basically where that natural product is coming from and they have capacity to produce. So I'll just make a note on that, because of course we get feedback. It's not a strain made or you know, we don't have that volume of fish. And I used to tin some of the salmon here, but it just wasn't feasible in terms of worldwide population and the cost associated. So just keep in mind that that is one of the reasons that you'll get the best sort of quality profile of salmon for tinning coming from those North Atlantic waters.
Speaker 1: I've always thought that America has the best. You know, if I lived in someone like Canada or Alaska or something, yeah, you wouldn't want to be importing your salmon in from running or else. You'd like the stream and catch it yourself if you.
Speaker 2: Could, Yeah, exactly, so I wouldn't be concerned about seeing that here. And you know, as I said, it gives testament to the natural nutritional profile of a product like this that naturally it's so much higher in a Mega three fats with almost your entire recommended daily intake of Amiga three is in a single just one hundred grand, very small serve of tin fish. So a great cost effective way for people to tick the box and a Mega threes, particularly if you struggle getting the fresh fish or maybe not even like the fresh fish, so much much better to get it in this natural form than saying supplement form.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So this one is the Calls Pink Salmon four hundred and fifteen gram ten the premium wild caught pink Salmon one hundred percent. Thumbs up, double tick ten out of ten from Nutrition Couch.
Speaker 2: We love it, ten out of ten. We don't give ten out of tens very often, but straight away we're both ten out of ten. And as I said, this is a product I'd actually go and buy now myself, knowing how strong it is nutritionally. So great find Amy, and congratulations, I'm becoming it Petitian.
Speaker 1: Discradinated and picked up our first job. So very proud of you, Amy, And we will say as well, this is not sponsored. If we ever do any sponsored segments on the Nitition Catch, we are very clear, we are full disclosure around that none of these products are sponsored. None of these episodes are sponsored unless we clearly say so. So this Call's Pink Salmon is honestly the best one that we were able to find on the market. So you guys are getting all of this advice for free, So we'd love if you can go and leaves a positive review on my phone in the Apple Purple podcast app, give us a shout out and give us some five stars. We'd love that feedback from you, but Zuzie, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review and our tin salmon for the week. So as I said, we'd love for you to subscribe. Leaves a positive review, and we've got a lot of products on our website, the nutritioncouch dot com. If you're looking for the recording of our live events from last year, or our wonderful product guide for the supermarket there online, and coming very soon in the next couple of weeks will be our new fabulous takeaway guide. If you're a lover of takeaway you'll want some quick and easy meals to go to for lunches and dinner that are healthier than a lot of the other options. Look out for our new takeaway guide coming very soon, and we'll catch you guys in the next episode Catch on Sunday