Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money daries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it because this week I got a message and it read like this, Hi, She's on the Money team. I wanted to share my money story as listening to She's on the Money and my millennial money has pivoted my mindset and set me up on the path to take control of my finances. Growing up with a single mum who had nine credit cards, I thought it was normal to have debt. After leaving home at sixteen with nothing but the clothes on my back. I used centraling to survive between the ages of sixteen and eighteen, and then found myself in a world of credit cards and personal loans after spending the last decade in debt. In two years of listening to your pod, I've been able to double my income, become free of debt with an emergency fund, and I'm on my way to saving for my first home and creating natural freedom for myself. I want the community members who are struggling to know that it doesn't matter what your upbringing looked like. You can change your mindset and your habits to achieve the life you want. Money Diarist, This is going to be one of my favorite diaries ever. I can already feel it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, no, what a story. I love that it's really mindset based and that you've gone through all this stuff but you're like, Nope, you can do whatever you want. I feel like that's going to be so motivating for so many people. Before we jump into the thick of it, which is my favorite part, I want to know if you were to give your money habits a grade, what would that grade be?
Speaker 2: At the moment, I think I'd probably be about a B plus A B plus.
Speaker 3: All right, let's learn a little bit more about it, money direst. You showed us in your letter a little bit about your money story, but I want to know more. So can you tell us a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure. So it was quite a troubled upbringing. Yeah. As I said, raised by a single mother, and although she provided well for us financially, emotionally and support wise, we struggled. We didn't necessarily have a great connection, and unfortunately sometimes it was quite abusive, so we didn't have a lot of mentorship around how to handle finances. I just knew that that's how she funded our lifestyle, so we never went without. We had passes to theme parks, we went on holidays quite frequently, but that was all funded through debt. At the time, I thought it was normal, just because obviously she was working and raising two children on her own. But that obviously did have quite a large impact on my financial story. I wanted to start working as soon as possible because I understood them. You know, to get the things that you want in life, you need to have your own income. So as soon as I turned fourteen and was able to work, I started working. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to have access to the money that I was working for, so I didn't have an appreciation for how to save. My Mum held my key card so I could spend when she advised me, and I think that that was to my detriment, Whereas if I was able to earn and spend at a young age, I would have more of an understanding of how to budget for certain things that I would want and avoid having that instant gratification rather than budgeting more correctly.
Speaker 3: Do you think that that came from her just trying to protect you in a way, from like, you know, running out of money or was that more a control feature of your relationship?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so everything was under control. I was quite independent and was from quite a young age, and that was quite a sore spot for our relationship. It wasn't not long after that I started working that our relationship really went downhill and led to me being kicked out at home.
Speaker 3: So yeah, wow, And what did that look like? Obviously you got your first job, where are you working? What type of role were you doing?
Speaker 2: Hj's as a retail.
Speaker 3: Like that, and how often were you working? Was it like a couple of days or a couple of just hours on one day or what did that journey look like?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd work both days on the weekend and working nighttime when I could after school. But obviously school played a massive factor in how many hours you could work. But working for a whole eight dollars back in the day.
Speaker 3: Oh, check that out. Do you know what at the time, eight dollars would have sounded really good?
Speaker 2: Felt rich?
Speaker 3: Yeah? One percent eight dollars at that time is really good. Really frustrating though that you couldn't access it. Did that lead to lots of like arguments or did that lead to a lot of resentment or what did that look like?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily so, I've always I wouldn't say be materialistic, but I like nice things. I like living related. I'm very proud of my home. And even back then, like when I was fifteen, I wanted to buy a rug. So I was able to buy myself a six hundred dollars rug at fifteen, like.
Speaker 3: My gosh, eight dollars an hour that rather was worth a lot of hours of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and was able to fund a snow trip through school. So I was able to buy things with that money, But it would have been more beneficial to my future self if I had been able to trial an error. Obviously I would have spent more if I had had access to that, and may not have been able to buy the nice things, but I would have built a better foundation. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, I feel like it's really interesting talking to people about their money stories, especially first up, because obviously I'm going to be like, Okay, what do you am, what do you spend? All of those questions, But just learning a little bit about the mindset side of things is to me so interesting because having gone through the mindset of having things taken off you and you're spending controlled all the way through to you know, creating financial freedom to yourself. Can we talk about the pivot point of that, because I feel like that's a massive mindset shift from someone controlling you to your going I can control my entire life and create the life I deserve and the life I How do we do that?
Speaker 2: Podcasts apparently in some books. Unfortunately, but also fortunately it's only happened in the past couple of years. So between eighteen and twenty eight, I was in a revolving door of getting myself in debt and then out of debt. You know, when I first turned eighteen, I was like, Okay, I have no family, I'm living out on my own. I was earning a decent income for my age, but I just I've always lived beyond my means to that point. So I would earn enough to cover groceries, live a decent lifestyle, but then you know, I would want to shout my friend's drinks or go shopping and wanted to get a TV, these nice things for myself, and I was like, oh, I just need a safety net. I'll get a five hundred dollars credit card, and that was the spiral. Then I went and got a TV on Go MasterCard and it just went downhill from there. So constantly refinancing, getting rebalanced credit cards just to try I avoid that interest. I don't know how I was smart enough to know that interest was bad, but debt was good, Like it was okay to be in debt as long as I kept paying it. Down so I could always reford the repayments. I've never default on it on anything, but I've had numerous personal loans. I wish that I quantified it, but at least five personal loans, probably about ten credit cards just in that eight year period, paying them down, getting a balanced transfer, trying to avoid any additional fees, but just constantly living beyond my means.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's really relatable though, Like it's part of my money story that when I first went to UNI and got out of UNI, I ended up in forty thousand dollars worth of personal debt and that all started in exactly the same position as you, with a five hundred dollars credit card that I got because I was like, oh my gosh, I'm going to go get this, and it was my Virgin Money credit card because I felt like Virgin was better because you were getting some points. Like that's a good idea, right, that's money saving in my savvy. So I got this five hundred dollars Virgin credit card once I got out of UNI, and I thought that's going to be my buffer, and then yeah, it kind of just spirals out of control because this piece of plastic enables you to live a lifestyle that you didn't have access to before. You're like, well, this is fine, Like carrying debts fine as long as I'm not, you know, racking up a whole heap of interest. That's smart. And I just think that financial literacy, especially in schools, especially during our journey as a young teen, especially with our first jobs, does us a bit of a dirty because you just don't know what you don't know. I too knew the interest was bad. I don't want to pay money for owing money, but I'll pay you back the money that I owe you. That didn't feel too bad. And I think it's one of those things that once you start learning about the flip side, you go, oh, my gosh, this is not how I should be doing it. This is not how the smart people are doing it, this is not how the wealthy are doing it, and you just go oh, and I feel like there's then a really bad layer of guilt, feel awful, and you feel a little bit ashamed of the way that you've been managing money, especially when you start to realize other people weren't doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely, I think a hard thing for me is that everyone around. All of my close friends have had a lot of financial support from their parents, so I never felt like I was going without because I was able to finance it myself. But I did feel bad that I wasn't doing and even to this day, like I still don't have the things that they necessarily have, but I have to constantly remind myself that I'm doing it on my own and that's okay. But it took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that you're never going to be at the same pace as everyone else. Yeah, you just got to stick in your own lane and educate yourself. I'm a massive advocate now for educating yourself on financial literacy, and it's such a shame that it's not taught in schools, even the basic fundamentals of tax and super and these are life altering decisions. People really need to be educated about that in the final years of school, and it's such a shame that it's not the case.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it keeps the world revolving, keeps the world in debt. I feel like that's maybe what they want in a way. Yeah, I feel like it's so interesting having this conversation because I immediately feel like I resonate with you, and I guess your story. I want to know now though, because obviously you've changed gears and you've been like, okay, I'm going to go from maybe not being in control to being in complete control. And our producer told me that you have your dream job, so I want to know about that. So what do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 2: So I'm an analyst in the energy industry and I recently started my dream role late last year and with bonuses and the base salary on one hundred and just over one hundred and thirty. Oh my god, plus super Yeah. I'm still pinching myself. Are you kiddy? That's incredible? Good is that?
Speaker 3: I feel like, I don't know. You set this up. You set me up. You were like, oh, I can't afford the same things that my friends skin afford. I'm not in the same position as them. Like I worked until twenty eight and only just really what you're a month thirty, You're going to be like running rings around people give it ten years?
Speaker 2: Oh not even Yeah, So I guess the benefit of Everything's happened in such a perfect way in the sense of when I was twenty seven, I was earning sixty K, and I'd outgrown that workplace. I just finished UNI, and the boss was like, oh, you know, I understand you've just finished UNI, but I don't think that it's suitable to give you a raise at this point in the bin, essentially saying that he didn't think that I was worth that money at that time.
Speaker 3: Good luck replacing me.
Speaker 2: But I was managing his business and a team of six people, so that felt otherwise, and I knew it was time to move on. So I'd always had a dream company in mind, just really appreciative of the customer service and the way that their staff were. So somehow managed to reach out to a recruiter and land a job there.
Speaker 3: What you just like said, oh, this is my dream company, And the recruiter was like, yes, queen, I will make that happen, and it happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how I do again, still pinch myself.
Speaker 3: Noah, I know how you worked hard, you knew your worth, you knew what you wanted, and you manifested it. So it came true, Like it makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so great. I love it. So within two years, I've been working at that company. I've had two promotions.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you don't get a promotion if you're not good at your job, Babe. I don't know how to tell you this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's my attitude, like because I've wanted it and I'm passionate about it, and I guess that just sort of flows through. I've always had amazing work ethic. That's probably one of the best things that I'm proud of myself. I always find difficult to find good qualities in myself, but my work ethic is something that's never faulted. So yeah, So I had two promotions and I felt bad late last year because i'd only been in the role for a few months, leaving the role that I was in but it wasn't really serving me. And when the opportunity came up to become an analyst, I knew that I had to do it and otherwise I'd regret it. And everything's just fallen into place.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so proud, and I can see how proud you are of you. I wish everyone could see your face right now, because you're glowing. You're like beaming, You're so happy, You're smiling like, I can tell that that means a lot to you, even more than just I guess the remuneration of the role as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely. I think last year when I chose the role I originally took, I actually regretted it. So I chose the role for financial purposes. It was providing me a twenty five K increase, and I was like, how can I pass this up?
Speaker 3: How can I not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just thought I have to do it, and I knew I was going to do well in the role. It wasn't necessarily where I wanted to go, but I knew I was going to do well because that's where my career has led me to. So I took it. But after a few months, I just it wasn't the right fit and I did regret choosing it because of the financial reasons. It really deviated from my values. So I've let my lesson there.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm glad you kind of went through that, especially before finding this role, because in this role, it's kind of like you know you're worth, you know what you're getting. Obviously it's an epic paycheck, but at the crux of it, you also know that that's not the only reason you're there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely, And now this role is challenging me. The team are incredible, and I'm getting an awesome paycheck.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, financial freedom come at you. Let's talk about your money goals. What are you working towards? What is your big money goal at the moment.
Speaker 2: I'm currently saving for a house, my first time.
Speaker 3: How are we doing on that front?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting there. I've only got eleven K saved.
Speaker 3: Only into the bin. My friend, I have eleven grand saved. What a journey.
Speaker 2: Yes, When I first started this company, I started I'd listen to Barefoot Investor. Yeah, and then I started looking at otherwise to help myself get more financially literate. So I literally binge listened to every single episode of She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: So you're really sick of my voice by now? I like it.
Speaker 2: No, it's a routine, it's a ritual. Like even though sometimes this stuff doesn't necessarily resonate with me or I've outgrown it, I think it helps keep me on track and accountable if I am ever second guessing myself.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that I.
Speaker 2: Had money in savings and then I still had a credit card debt and I was like, you know what, Like I had a chunk of interest come through, and I was like, I've got more money in my savings than I have that I could pay this credit card off and not get interests, Like what am I doing? And so I paid that off and it was honestly the best feeling in the world. So it's been eighteen months now being debt free, Queen behavior, I'm so excited for you, and saving about thirty five percent, trying to get to forty percent of my salary towards saving.
Speaker 3: How cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so being able to save for a trip for my thirtieth to go to Europe for a few weeks. So I'm excited for that. And yeah, now just purely focusing on the house. But I just think that everything happened really well in the sense of getting a job and getting these large increases in income. I'm glad that my mindset had shifted.
Speaker 3: Before that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I can only imagine how I would have been spending my money beforehand with this sort of money now and going, oh, well, I'm owning all of this money, I can I can spend more, you know, Whereas now I'm so conscious of wanting to achieve so many goals.
Speaker 3: How exciting. What would happen if we went back to twenty five year old you and said, hey, by the way, this is what life looks like at twenty eight, twenty nine. What would twenty five year old you think already?
Speaker 2: She achieved it already. I feel like I definitely would have gotten there eventually. From a young age, I always wanted to have my own home. I definitely just feel as though it's security for me. Yeah, one hundred percent, something that's mine that no one can take away from me. So I always knew by the time I was thirty that I wanted to achieve that. It might not be right on thirty, but I'm definitely going to get there.
Speaker 3: No, you've got that security, You've got that job, like one hundred percent. It's crazy the pressure that we put on ourselves to achieve things before thirty. I found a diary entry from twenty one year old me, and I look at it and I just go, Victoria, there's so much more to life than what you thought you'd have at thirty. Like, there's this diary entry, and it's in this dumb diary, and it was right before I broke up with a long term partner, and I was kind of like, you know, journaling because I was stressed and kind of knew what was coming and didn't know what was there. And it's like this letter to myself and it's kind of like, at thirty, you'll have a job and you'll be earning at least six figures. Like that was to me a really big For some reason in my head, I was like, you have to do that by thirty, Victoria. And now it just like makes no sense, Like that's such a naff way of looking at life. I also was apparently going to already have two children, I would have already been married, I already would have owned a house and just all this stuff that I was like, those are milestones, yes, but that doesn't mean I would have been happy with the life that I thought I was going to create for myself. And I just think that we put so much pressure on ourselves. But at the same time, it's so gratifying to go, oh, my gosh, past me would actually be really proud of where we are, Like past me would be like, Wow, there's a lot more to life than just earning six figures, or there's a lot more to life than you know, just getting a house and just doing these things. Because now if you ask me what my values are in life, I'm like, have you met my pets? Have you met my friends? Like they're the coolest things ever. So I just think it's such an exciting period of life, especially when you start coming into this like world of creating financial freedom. It opens up so much more than what twenty one year old Victoria thought, which was designer bags and shoes and you know, all of the markers of success, but not really the excitement around it. Yeah, all right, I want to ask you a whole heap more questions, but I'm going to go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to talk about debts, investments. I want to know about your best and your worst money habits and how you've managed to avoid lifestyle groep. Alright, guys, don't go anywhere. All right, money direst we are back. You have now saved eleven grand, which is epic, towards your first home. You're out of debt and have been debt free for eighteen months now, which is so cool. But I want to know are you investing If so, what.
Speaker 2: In Yes, I am. I started in cheersas say, she's on the money. I have recently just transferred over to COMSEP. I have about five thousand invested now.
Speaker 3: Oh big dog Energy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just focusing on building that up slowly.
Speaker 3: What's the plan there, like, what made you change platforms and how have you chosen the investments that you've got.
Speaker 2: I'm really focusing on diversification. I've got a couple of high risk lithium stocks in cheesy is that I'll just keep there just for growth. But the main thing that I wanted to focus on was ETFs that were going to provide me with diversification and a little bit of lower risk that pay a dividend. So I can just reinvest that and just let it grow and not touch it, not overthink it.
Speaker 3: I love it, and we already know you don't have any debts, so I feel like that's a pretty redundant question.
Speaker 2: I do have hex stet.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, what hextet have you got?
Speaker 2: So sitting at about thirty three K at the moment, So looking forward to indexation in June.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say they're talking about indexation being at about seven percent this year which makes me feel physically ill. And guys, don't worry. There's an entire episode coming on how to manage that and what that means and how that's going to work. But money dist I want to know what are your thoughts on that as somebody who is all over it. Are you going to be paying more off? Of you not going to be paying more off? Where is your head.
Speaker 2: At for the two grand I'm going to get whacked with if it's seven percent, I'm not gonna worry about paying it off. I'd rather have that money sit there in my bank account ready for my home loan. Unfortunately, having hextut does wipe off about one hundred k off my borrowing capacity, so I did think about taking care of it. But yeah, look, it's just going to sit there in the background, and it's better than having, you know, an interest loan paying off that. Like the education has allowed me to get the income that I have, so I'm happy to just write it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's fair, and I think that that's where a lot of us are at. Yes, it wipes off some borrowing capacity, but also you know what wipes borrowing capacity is not having enough of a deposit and it's kind of like weighing up what the difference between those two things is actually going to look like and how that works. And to be honest, the best thing you can do is actually talk to a mortgage broker sooner rather than later, because they're going to be able to tell you, especially if your goal is to buy a property. Okay, well, this is what your HEX set personally looks like. I've thought for ages. I was like, oh my gosh. You know what it would be really cool is a table where I could tell you how much your borrowing capacity is impacted by HEX. So like, if it's thirty thousand dollars, okay, well it will be impacted by about one hundred grand, or if it's more or less. But the problem is the variable of income, and then the variable of whether you're going to be buying with a partner or not, and what their income is, and whether you have any other debts or any other liabilities. And it's just it's not a table I can create, sadly, because it's just not going to work. But it's one of those things that I think a lot of people stress about. And if you're stressing about it, go talk to a mortgage broker and they'll be able to tell you exactly what your personal situation looks like, because Googling isn't going to do that. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: If it was sitting at five, I probably would on the basis that it would give me just under one thousand dollars a month extra in my pocket, and also it would help me with my borrowing capacity. But given the amount that it is, I'm just going to write it out and not to mention it over COVID it was so low, like twenty twenty one it was only nine hundred dollars. Yeah, exactly. So we've just got to keep in mind that, yes, okay, this is going to be pretty high this year, and it does suck, but in relation to the past couple of years, like if we average it all out, we're all good.
Speaker 3: Exactly. To people who currently are in debt and looking at your story, going wow, how did you go from growing up with a mum who had nine credit cards, so then you having ten credit cards and personal loans and cycling through that to being in the financially responsible position you're in now? What would you say to people who currently have debt who maybe just don't want debt anymore, but don't even know where to start.
Speaker 2: Baby steps a sessious situation, and there's so many different ways to knock down your debt, but do things that are going to help you hit milestone sooner so you can get that feeling, because nothing beats it when you pay off a credit card and you get to shut it down. It is the best feeling.
Speaker 3: It actually is. I feel like someone should jump out of like a cupboard or something with like party poppers and pay and celebrate, because that's exactly what I expected to happen when I paid mine.
Speaker 2: Not for yourself, do it for yourself. No one else is going to. But I tell you what, it's a bloody good feeling, especially after you've been in it for so long and it is such a hard slog to see light at the end of the tunnel. Start with your after pay. I think that was definitely the first thing I got rid of, and then yeah, just paid down that credit card. Obviously, the increases in my income were a massive help to myself, and I'm not going to discount that, you know, Like I made sure that when I got paid extra, I wasn't spending that, I was saving it Prior to saving it, I was paying off my debt, so that does help, so find additional ways to make income to get rid of that debt. It makes such a big difference.
Speaker 3: Once it's gone, you just feel so light, you do, there's just not.
Speaker 2: A care in the world. And then having an emergency fund finally and understanding that no matter what, I'm going to be all good, Like if anything happens to my dog or a medical expense, like, I'm all good, and it's such an amazing feeling. The bear.
Speaker 3: I feel like you have some good money habits. So now I want to know what do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 2: Budgeting down Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not surprised by this at all.
Speaker 2: I've always been good at budgeting, you know, even when I was in debt, I always, you know, figured out what my monthly expenses would be and put a set amount away each week into my bill hub. So I don't know again where I got that information from, because I was doing that from that age is, you know, eighteen, But that budgeting is definitely my best money habit.
Speaker 3: What kind of budgeting are you doing? Are you doing the type of budgeting where you sit down and go Okay, cool money dice. You only get fifty dollars a week for groceries, and you only get this, this, this, and this. Is it like a restrictive type of budget or is it the type of budget where you just tracking income or what does that actually look like?
Speaker 2: It is definitely more strict. But I tend to be a bit guilty with the way I spend, Like if I take money out of my savings, I feel very guilty now to if I'm buying something. You know, I value lunches out, which is probably my worst money habit, and dinners out. But yeah, so it's very strict, like I will understand what my monthly or annual costs are and then I put that into my bill hub and then I've got my savings goals so everything's accounted for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, awesome. I love that. I also find it so interesting because when one person says, oh, I'm really good at budgeting, that actually could mean something really different to somebody else, because the way I budget is more around tracking my spending and making sure that I'm okay with that spend rather than setting a goal of okay, well, Victoria, your groceries are going to be X like I don't do that. I flip it around and go, okay, cool, you're on average spending this on groceries. Are you okay with it?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, if you don't want to change that, you're going to have to change something else. And it's less about restriction for me because I just know I'm not going to stick to it, like it's just not going to happen in my life. And I think that it's interesting to learn the way that other people manage that, because there's different forms of budgeting, and there's different flows, and there's different diferent ways that we're all motivated. And I just find it so pervy to be like, how do you do that? What does that actually mean? Because like one of our team members, Jess, you've probably heard her on the podcast before if you've listened to every single one, she has so many accounts for everything like clothes, for shoes, she has an account for makeup, hair and beauty. She has an account for literally everything. I could not think of anything worse. Like my ADHD would not allow me to have that many accounts and keep track of them, so I have to have like three and we call it a day there for you know, my average spend. But different people do different things, and it's so interesting to learn because you might look at somebody else's and go, oh, my gosh, that system would work so well for me. And that's why learning from other people is so important.
Speaker 2: Most definitely, well, I think I'm still struggling. I get paid monthly, and then it kills me. No matter how much I try and budget, I always taking money out of my savings and then having to replenish it the next month if I take too much out. You know, there's always like that little bit of a buffer. But I always make sure that I keep myself accountable. So yeah, strict budget and just constantly reviewing, Like you said, making sure you're okay with it, groceries has killed me. I'm constantly exceeding it every month.
Speaker 3: The rising cost of living is insane, Like I actually cannot believe how people are dealing with this because it's it's insane. Like my grocery budget has absolutely blown up, but the stuff I'm buying is exactly the same. Like why is it fifty dollars more perfect?
Speaker 2: Shop?
Speaker 3: Like I genuinely feel like the idea of even fifty bucks, Like historically, to me, fifty dollars was heaps of money, and it still is. Like I'm not gonna you know, absolutely pooh proo that, but I feel like you don't get that much change from fifty bucks for anything anymore. No, like go out for lunch fifty bucks, like just I swear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely doesn't go the same distance unfortunately. So it's also just a matter of acknowledging that sometimes things aren't in your control, Like you can over analyze it a little bit, and then I think it makes you feel guilty because you feel like you're not doing enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking from experience, like that's definitely me. Like if I look at I've overspent for the month, I sort of try not to punish myself, but I am feeling guilty that I've not met the budget that I set for myself. So perhaps I need to review my strategy.
Speaker 3: And then that's unreasonable because then you look at your budget and you go, well, that wasn't actually going to work given the things I did this month, So it's crazy, right, Like I used to do exactly the same thing, and then you would crucify yourself over you know, spending over but you're like, yeah, but what you didn't take into consideration was that You've got friend's birthdates, my mum's birthday, I've got all these other things that needed to be taken into consideration in the budget. I didn't go over I just didn't plan efficiently the first time. Yeah, yeah, definitely, it's crazy. All right. Well, you mentioned maybe what your worst money habit is, but I want to know what do you think officially your worst money habit is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely over spending on eating out. Yeah, I just I really valuing nice dinners with friends, and then yeah, just the cheeky lunch on the weekends and things like that. So that sort of stuff can really blow the budget out quite quickly.
Speaker 3: I feel like we'd get along really well because that's exactly where I'm spending my money too. Don't worry. All right, we have covered a lot, and I am very conscious of time. But now that we've talked, I feel like I've got a good idea of who you are, and I'm genuinely so impressed. Not only do I think that we could probably be best friends, because everything that you're saying, I'm like, yep, I think we're on the same page. Yep. Oh you're like going out. Yep, me too, great one hundred percent. Your dog barked before, and I was like, great, she's a dog person. Ten out of ten love this. But I feel like you've come so far, Like you have this epic salary, you're already well onto the way of saving for your first home. You're saving thirty five percent of your salary, which is like mind blowing to me. You're planning for forty you have a five thousand dollars investment portfolio, You've got your emergency fund. You said really interesting things before when we're talking about your investment portfolio, like it was very well thought out. You were talking about the importance of diversification. Then you said I've got some high growth lithium stuff in there as well. I'm like, this woman's clearly switched on, like she knows what she's talking about. You've got a strategy for your hex, you've already thought about it. But you seem to think that you're just a B plus. Is that fair? Now we reflect on things.
Speaker 2: Or our own worst critic, I guess one hundred percent we are maybe as I think that there's always room for improvement, there's always.
Speaker 3: Room for improvement. But I was just when someone says B plus and then they come at me with the story that you've just told me, I'm like, nah, babe, you're not a B plus like and I think everyone listening to this is like, no, Victoria's right on this one. It's not often that I'm right, but my friend, I'm right today. But oh my gosh, I feel like this is such a motivating story. Your mindset is so beautiful, and I feel like having been able to share this time with you and understand how you pivoted your mindset and like, I guess what you grew up with and what has changed. It's really a story of exactly knowing that it doesn't matter what your upbringing looked like you can actually create the life that you want and and actually being your control. Like it's wild to think that a little girl who grew up with a mum who controlled her finances and lived everything on credit now ins one hundred and thirty grand is saving for a first home and is absolutely killing it. Like how cool?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Isn't that like the best thing ever? Anyway, I'm so proud of you, and I know that the community is true, So thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for having me, and thank you for everything that you do for the community. Yeah, a massive advocate for you guys.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper P T Y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine