Speaker 1: Gooday, Peter, hell Ay here, welcome to you Ain't Seeing Nothing Yet?
Speaker 2: The Movie Podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classical, beloved movie that haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 1: And today's guest, returning comedian Luke McGregor. You ever Dance with the Devil on the Benlight? I'm walking here, I'm walking here.
Speaker 3: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world.
Speaker 1: She walks in the mine.
Speaker 3: Right, don't see nothing here.
Speaker 2: Luke McGregor has already been on this show, so I'm not going to give him another massive pump up because between us, Luke's ego is out of control, and why wouldn't it be. He's currently recording Series five of Rose Haven down in Tazzi and can be seen occasionally on The Project Usual, We Have a Problem and on Tinder. Luk is hilarious, whip smart, kind hearted, and he's our first returning guests. He's three favorite movies, he stated in last season, were Ghostbusters, The Bronx Tale, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Speaker 1: Let's see how he goes this time?
Speaker 4: Hi, lud McGregor, here again, and my next three paper films tat the two Come with me if you want to live Return of the Dragon, Get Him and Jurassic Park and up until recently.
Speaker 5: I just saw The Godfather Part Too.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Colli Oonne family have relocated from New York to his son in Nevada. As Michael Collone, the head of the family played by Albert Cino, attempts to steer the family to legitimacy, because of course casinos.
Speaker 1: Are total legit.
Speaker 2: The Godfather Part two is part sequel, part prequel, and he's my favorite film of all time. All the big themes of right here, a power, control, family, the American dream, brotherhood, betrayal, and of course Olive Oil franchis for Coppola's classic is the greatest sequel of all time. Apologies to Empire, Strikes Back and Hot Shots Too. It won six Oscars out to be nominated for eleven for Best Picture, Robert de Niro won for Best Supporting Actor, Uh Friends of a Copple of one for Best Director, Writing, Art Direction, and they won for score as well. So, Luke McGregor, tell me, do you keep your friends close and your enemy is closer?
Speaker 4: I will now definitely. It was so good. Pete I knew it was going to be good, but I'm like I just watching, going, oh wow, this is a really good film.
Speaker 2: And surprise, wow, this this movie. I've heard so much about that all these years. Who widely claimed to be the greatest sequel of all time.
Speaker 1: He's actually really good?
Speaker 4: Oh it was, Yeah, it was, Yeah, it was. It was a good A good job, well done everyone involved.
Speaker 2: Maybe I know you're about to star shooting, you know, rose Haven series five, Maybe maybe get him around on day one and just give a little speech or write a little crewe note on the on the run sheheet on day one of the same guys hot tip check out Godfather Part two.
Speaker 4: I will and I'll say this guy's this guy's cultured, or I'll just completely rewrite it to be some sort of crime drama. It was. It was. I didn't realize how sad it would be. I mean, I knew it wasn't going to be a happy film, but it was so sad, like there's I mean, I don't know if you if you've got a plans to go into it section both section, but overall it was so much work and so much, so much stress to live not a happy life.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well I mean, let's get let's get into that. When we come back to it, I want to talk as we do, and it's a it's such a good point, and there's some big questions, and I said, this is my favorite film.
Speaker 1: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: I would have seen it probably a dozen times. It's one of those films. It's it's probably hard to watch, you know, like I've probably seen Star Wars closer to fifty times. It's probably harder to watch the god Father part too that many times. But I've seen it a lot, and watching it, knowing I was going to chat to you about, I watched it as I do with all the films for this podcast, a little differently, you know, maybe with even maybe a more critical eye. I do a little bit of deep diving as well. And some questions I just hadn't thought of. And that's one of the ones I have for you. Is what you just hit on. But let's go back to look at your favorite three other films.
Speaker 1: I'm glad. I'm glad there's not like something The Hedgehog two.
Speaker 4: Or that was that was clearly that was a joke. I'm not quite sure if that was. I just stayed in but that was that was a I mean, it wasn't a bad film, but it was top three No.
Speaker 1: So Terminator to.
Speaker 2: Talking about great sequels, I mean I think Terminator to Judgment Day is considered, you know, a step up from Terminator.
Speaker 4: I did too. I loved it just because it did and James Cameron did it again. I think with Aliens it's just see sort of what like the if the first the first one was kind of like that tribute to Slashes but with the technology future focus, and then the next film was this sort of action blockbuster that both worked. Both felt like they're in the same world, even though they were sort of leading on different genres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember I saw that in the cinema.
Speaker 1: I was very excited.
Speaker 2: I was a big guns and Roses fan, and you could be. Mine was released on the User Illusion double albums and it was great. It was just like rarely like Godfather Part two kind of exists in the world you know of Godfather, you know part one, Like they kind of like esthetically they kind of are very similar.
Speaker 1: There's you know, different changing location.
Speaker 2: They go to Nevada and there's they spent some time in Cuba, which gives it a bit of a different field, but it kind of still feels where Terminator Too feels like it completely. You can see the increase in budget and the ambition of Terminator two compared to Terminator one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's kind of rare where you see a film that really expands its world and it's lower and it still works like it just it just makes it one, like it enriches the first one. I read something recently and it's going to annoy me because shouldn't have been brought it up because I can't even what it was. But it was like it was.
Speaker 2: Like there at a Judy bloom book. It was called The Tales of the Fourth Grade.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure why what it's got to do the Eminated Too, but there it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to say that I read stuff, but.
Speaker 1: You're in glasses leek. We know you read stuff.
Speaker 4: It's true. The fake it's a filter. Yeah it was. It was what The Godfather did. I felt was just that it made it expanded the world and just made it richer. And yeah it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it. Yeah, I loved it. Yeah, great, great selection. Then you moved on to Return of the Dragons and Bruce Lee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that was his third film, and there's just this scene where there's a bunch of guys come out. So he's outside of his restaurant in the back alley and these guys come out to fight him, and so he pulls out one nunchuck, and then a bunch of other guys come out to fight him, and so he pulls out a second nunchuck. It's just so good just to think that he's like, I won't pull out by it there's only three of them, and then when there's six, he's like, all right, I'll pull out the second one. I just love every bit about that film. And he even played an instrument on it from memory. She helped. He helped with the soundtracker.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I thought like during the movie he just slowed things down for the ladies and I got out.
Speaker 1: Of the guitar.
Speaker 4: The whole film is a thirst trap. Yeah, he it was. Yeah. I just loved it. And the fight with Chuck Norris at the end, it is just amazing, especially where he pulls out his chest here and then blows it into the wind. I just don't you don't see that move enough on the on the school in the street parts.
Speaker 2: I really I got really fond memories of going to Greensboro a box store and renting out Bruce Lee like videos, and I could still I can still see them, but I can I never know kind of which ones that I've seen. I do remember the Chuck Norris fight, so obviously I've seen Return of the Dragon. Like I just end up like like every if you asked me that what Bruce Lee's movies are, I would just like make Dragon everywhere, like Return of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, Exit the Dragon, Past the Dragon.
Speaker 1: All of his films got dragon in them.
Speaker 4: The Dragon was a great one digestive track of the Dragon. It was. There's the Big Boss, then there's Fatal Fatal Fury. That's a video game, not Fast and Furious. That's Fist and Fury. That's the one, then Return of the Dragon, then Into the Dragon. But it's kind of confusing because some of them have different names in different regions. So okay, I get lost as well ended in Game of Death, but he didn't finish it.
Speaker 1: And there's Way of the Dragon, Way of the Dragon, the Way of the Dragon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that might be different. That might be the name. There might be the alternat name of Return of the Dragon because he only did four full films, which was Big Boss, Fister.
Speaker 1: Fury, Into the Dragon, Into.
Speaker 4: The Dragon, and when Way or Return of the Dragon. I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this Game of Death.
Speaker 4: Game of Death was the last one he did yet, were the one he didn't finish before he passed away. That's where he fights Kream Abdul Jabar.
Speaker 1: Isn't that space Jam?
Speaker 4: I think they're based in the same universe.
Speaker 1: No, what like?
Speaker 2: So, how did I know There's been a great doco on Bruce Lee that came out recently. I haven't seen it, and I should know more considering I remember being really fascinated Bruce Lee for it. I must say it felt like a reasonably short period of times like I watched his films and maybe because they weren't more Bruce Lee movies coming out, I kind of just, you know, just kind of moved on.
Speaker 4: And he really he really stopped baking them after he died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where your manager has to take over. Well, holograms, holograms are gonna you know, they're getting better.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking.
Speaker 2: Forward to you know, our kids that we had to sit down, grand kids, We had to sit down and watch some great new Bruce Lee releases.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's that's the inevitable march towards I guess, not needing any of us anymore.
Speaker 2: Did you Did you enjoy the Bruce Lee in Have you seen Quentin Tarantinos Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: I did? Yeah, And I read here because I was, you know, obviously being a Bruce Lee fan. I was upset as soon as Brad Pitt evens sort of chance against him. But I remember Quentin Tarantina saying he did that to try and emphasize how powerful Brad Pitt's character was in the film. But yeah, it was hard because it's a character that's, you know, obviously not alive anymore. Finding a character that's that is alive, it was. I was disappointed because I as soon as I said, Bruce Leye and something, he's got this sort of legendary setus who expecting Bell to bet everyone there was There's a guy called Michael J. White who's an amazing martial artist and action star, and he's he's a really he's a big unit. And Bruce Lee was only five seven and very light, and I and I think he said he said in an interview somewhere that you know that he could be able. I can't remember exact words, but he basically said he'd be able to handle Bruce Lee or that you know, he wasn't worried about losing to him, or something like that. But everyone sort of lost it. But it was, you know, it's you know, because Briustley's got this sort of untouchable status of But I do wonder even and no matter how well trained you are, if you're fighting someone who's like a six foot seven monster who's just made of muscle, how much someone say I don't know my height, no matter how much training I do could do to defend themselves.
Speaker 1: So I feel like you're you're going back to the playground, Luke.
Speaker 4: That's a problem when you because when you're a kid, because Mum and Dad knew because I had red hair and glasses and braces that they're like, you're going to get teased, and I'm like, and they were. They were correct, and so they probably in martial arts. But most of the bullies I was only up for their waist anyway, so there wasn't much I could do. Even if I could kick up to my head, I still couldn't reach them. So it was Yeah. When I was growing up, I always thought, you know, there's only so much you could do agains someone who could just lift you up and just throw you off off a cliff or something.
Speaker 1: What belt did you get to?
Speaker 4: I got to in Takekwanda, I got to brown, but I never got to blacken anything comedy. That's true, And that's a it's a real it's a it's it's my self defense mechanism because if you can make the bully laugh, they're not gonna was hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, hey, we that is completely true.
Speaker 2: I mean I I you know, I was a boy of girth growing up in a shock, and you know, I think a lot of my my comedy comes from that, that that vibe of get in before they get to you, and that's you know, it's it's a yes, maybe there's maybe.
Speaker 1: There should be a colored belt system for comedy.
Speaker 4: It's it's at eminem eight miles scene where he just this is on himself. The whole time we were doing that, waiting for it ourselves all the way through and beyond.
Speaker 2: Hey, who wins a fight between Jackie Channon and Bruce Lee.
Speaker 4: No idea I'd be I don't I get scared diving into like hypotheticals of impossible fights because like there's no satisfying answer. Yeah, although I do like watching comic book heroes, like fan made movies like bat and the Son of like Deadpool versus Batman, or a Wolverine Brusus Predator, Like I love watching that stuff. So basically, they just get a bunch of votes who would win out of the Predator and the Wolverine anyone, whoever the fans vote for. They make a live action film showing that battle, and it's it's awesome, so that those I do enjoy.
Speaker 1: Here, Okay, Jurassic Park, is that the original?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was. Yeah, it was like it was like a it was like watching a theme park ride. So I like being on a theme park ride or something. It was a movie. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: I thought you're going to explain to me what it was for a second there is like, yeah, it was like a this dinosaur movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's about what you can do with insects stuck in or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Sat I I think I've said this on the show. I don't think I saw it in the cinema for some reason, and I grab a big.
Speaker 1: Spielberg scared too nervous.
Speaker 2: Possibly possibly I got through Close Encounters of the third kind of et and for some reason, Jassic Park I was scared.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I really, I'm at a loss to explain why like this didn't capture my attention.
Speaker 4: I think it's because once you wet your pants once in a cinema, it's embarrassing to go back. And but.
Speaker 2: I was very good at going But I remember M'm saying, no, you need to go back, and I did it again and again.
Speaker 4: I was so yeah, sorry, I was joking, you actually did you consistently where your pants are consistently?
Speaker 2: It's almost the only place I wet my pants is in the cinema.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's funny once you wet your pants a few times in the cinema and you're like, well, now this is only place I can go if it comes a real logistical nightmare.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I love movies. I was like a dog marking my spot. This is this is my this is my place, this is where I feel at home. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, you know, this is this is me.
Speaker 4: When they when they and I'm sorry to go on this tangent, but when they when they first invented nappies for babies, and obviously there's that oult diapers was it was at one point where they said, okay, so these are these are just for babies, and someone's like, well, can't we with them as well because we can change them ourselves, And they're like no, no, no, you start to get the toilet, Like what what why? I don't know why they've never trained spread to adults.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess they have. The adult diaper industry is a booming industry.
Speaker 4: But you and I.
Speaker 2: With like, without having a medical reason, at what age can you just say you know, I'm wearing an adult diaper today.
Speaker 4: I guess when you're self aware that you're wearing you're wearing a diaper, that's probably about the time you have to stop wearing them.
Speaker 2: If you're going if you're going to say you're going to the Grand Final, the AFL Grand Final, and there was a rule that if you gave up your and you wanted to get on the drink, have a few drinks, pre load, have any drinks, and then they say if you leave your seat, then then somebody can take it and you lose your seat. You would seriously consider an adult diaper in that situation.
Speaker 4: I would have loved one some of the concerts I've been to, you know, because you work really hard to get to the front. You get, you get, you get a stage view so you can touch you know, the edges foot and then you have to go to the toilet and you know that you two will play for three hours. Yep, an adult diaper would be incredible.
Speaker 2: He has any podcast at gmail dot com. Let us know at what age is it okay for you to wear a diaper? Not for medical reasons because it's.
Speaker 4: Not illegal, right. I mean, you're not going to get in trouble if you wear a diaper, because he's going to know. Then you'll have a slightly I guess. I mean, if you were a type jeans, it's going to be a problem. But if somebody likes to bag it after.
Speaker 1: And on that, let's have a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: Luke McGregor. It was almost a year ago that I got you to watch The Godfather. You loved it, and the early your early reporting of The Godfather Part two is that you love this and you love it more. Can you understand that when people say the sequel is better than the original.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. I mean I had really high expectations because everyone because I thought The Godfather was amazing obviously, and then when some of everyone said I'm going to watch the two, I'm like, how much I mean, how much better could a film get? But it was really good, Like al Pacino is just amazing in that film. But yeah, I found it, like I will watch it again, but I'll need a break. I was so sad by the end of it, like the family was just destroyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is, and we get we'll get to some themes and some big questions that this film poses, but let's.
Speaker 1: Just start at the at the start.
Speaker 2: We won't necessarily walk through the entire movie because it's it's obviously an epic, but the like, I love France for Coppola, and I like, you know, he just feel like you are in safe hands. And the opening shot are this thing is so good because it's it's basically close up of Michael.
Speaker 1: He gets kissed on the hand.
Speaker 2: It's like maybe this goes for like thirty seconds and he gets and it's before we go to Sicily. So you just want to you know, remind the audience that Michael's you know, this the lead in this movie, Michael Collyo, and we're gonna be concentrating on him. But kissed on his hand in the in the his dad's office now now his office, and his father's imprint is just in the padding of the chair behind the desk, and it just I'm not sure if you've got the same impression, but it feels like almost a complete continuation from from part one where the door closes on k and what were you saying in the podcast you wanted to open the door again and kind of look in and you know, like continue for it to continue. And this feels like this is almost and I'm not sure if it's actually like how much time has passed, but it almost felt to me even if it wasn't actually you know, at the same moment, it feels like it felt like to me that it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it did feel like it was just kicking off for the last one left off, and but I guess I guess this one felt like, you know, Michael was all in, like the hope that they could get out was feeling like it was I don't know, it was, Yeah, it felt like this was he started hitting the ground running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think possibly that moment was the continuation of that kind of scene we saw at the end of one and then because when we go to Sicily and then we come back and when we come back there in Nevada, so it's probably you know, that's probably there's probably a time jump between those two.
Speaker 1: Moments.
Speaker 2: But so, yeah, we go, we go to Sicily, his brother Vito's it's young Vito, and his brother Parlo Paolo gets killed.
Speaker 1: His mother takes veto.
Speaker 2: Young yeah young not played by Marlon Branner, but obviously Don Collion eventually, but Veto Andelini. His name is to the local mob boss, and she begs him to spare my dim witted nine year old son.
Speaker 1: The local mob boss kills his.
Speaker 2: Mother, Missus Andelini, and Vito runs away, does a bit of a for us. He runs, he runs, he runs. Then they're yelling out, don't hide Vito Andelini. They're yelling out in the streets. This is pre social media. Look otherwise I think now they would probably just put it on on the socials. But they're yelling out, don't hide Vito Andelini, and it's it's so it's so economical, like they don't waste time like Francis for a couple of just you know, so much is happening in that in that scene, but it happens.
Speaker 1: He doesn't draw it out.
Speaker 4: No, it's yeah, it's interesting you say that because it is. It's very efficient storytelling because the film is three hour and twenty two minutes. But yeah, it doesn't feel like it really does crack along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, you would think that they would draw these moments out, you know, you know, longer, but they really don't. And then before you know it, he's you know, at in the US and he's arriving and they they draw an X on his on his chest, on his clothes and I looked that up that that meant that he was suspected of having a mental.
Speaker 1: Defect, right, yeah, brutal way of I know.
Speaker 2: And then he's given the new name video Colia, because that's all he's from. There, that's his talent where he's from. A similar thing happened to Han Solo according to the Solo prequel.
Speaker 4: Yes it was. It's the same universe, just later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we go back to anthy Anthony communion and then there's the big party. This it's it's and it gave me like a lovely feeling of like, oh, we're doing this again, this is this is cool, you.
Speaker 1: Know, another big party.
Speaker 2: And now we see people lining up to see Michael, Michael's offices there for Anthony, his son's communion. You've got Cenaer the Geary making you know, speeches because there's been donations and having photos and then it all changes behind the closed doors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so interesting seeing these scenes of joy and family and friendship and you know, and then just what's going on, you know, behind closed doors to maintain that lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whether you know.
Speaker 4: Are these people you know, are all of them in or there's some of them in it, some of them completely you know, innocent to this, or.
Speaker 2: And some are rejecting it. Like Connie's you know, hates Michael. She's marrying somebody, you know, in fatness to her. She may love him, but Michael doesn't see it that way. And yeah, it's kind of like Michael's protection of his family is coming.
Speaker 1: These are the early signs of it.
Speaker 2: I think Michael's protecting of his family is coming at a high price. You know that he's actually pushing his family members away even though he's trying to put his arms around them to protect them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like he's, yeah, there's a real live because almost like they're trying to pull him out of it or orthough because he every every action he takes is pushed, like you say, it's pushing them further away and pushing himself away from them, like he's losing his connection to emotion because I guess he has to to make the decisions he makes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's it's you know, he constantly I know I did was thinking back to the Mica we met at the start of Godfather, the Godfather Part one, when he, you know, he says, Okay, this is this is my family, this is this is not me, you know, and he you know, and even even Don Coleone, Vito had more plans for him to go into politics, and I'm sure, you know, to kind of maybe have him at their disposal, you know, inside politics for their own for their own benefit possibly. But you know, at that stage, he wasn't seen as somebody who who was going to rise up through the ranks as far as the family business goes.
Speaker 1: And then you can see and I think they do a nice job.
Speaker 2: At the start of this, when he's dancing with Kay after all these meetings with Frankie, Panta, Gali and Connie and they're just dancing. It's a nice quiet moment. They look like they're in love. Kay is pregnant and she says, you know that. He says, we're going to go legitimate. You know, we're going to legitimize the family.
Speaker 1: That's why we're here.
Speaker 2: And she said, yeah, you promise you'll be legitimate within five years, and that was seven years ago. Yeah, but it is a nice this reminder that you know, there's a Michael that exists that is trying to make this legit and is rejecting the family business.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't last long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and her, I mean, obviously that Michael that she fell in love was the one pre all of this. And then you know when she when he comes full circle and she lose his love for him, that's when you realize he's beyond helped now. Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it was fascinating, and especially because they have they hohold sort of family and friendship and loyalty in such high regards. But then they well they're you know, committing horrendous accent and you know, someone betrays and someone tries to get out.
Speaker 1: It's it's over.
Speaker 2: It's just even like if you look at Tommy Hagen, who is you know, in a way the most loyal to Michael oh the lawyer, Yeah, yeah, Robert de val and yeah, you know, and he seems like even the most decent of them all.
Speaker 1: Yet even he's overseeing.
Speaker 2: I mean, when they frame Sena the Geary and there's you know, they're trying to get legit, but still they are. There are lots of different ways they could have you know, I'm sure strong armed sener the Geary, but they kill a woman, you know, prostitute in order to do that, you know, to win his favor and his impluence, you know. And it's it's such a fascinating thing, look like like.
Speaker 1: And this is the power of movies.
Speaker 2: We always follow the protagonist, you know, Like Michael does horrible things, you know, and and we still go along, even to the point where if you compare him to the black Hand Fernucci when he was in his veto I'm talking about now in the flashbacks, you know, why do we why do we take you know, Vito site over Fernucci siite like Fernucci is not necessarily I don't think we see him murder. I think we see him threatened, you know, And it's it's all because we know there's an innate thing in movies where we know.
Speaker 1: We are supposed to root for the protagonist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it kept making me think, like like, it made me think, what's what's important in my life? And what would I sacrifice to keep it? And it's almost like they inherit a lifestyle and then they don't know any different, and so it's you know, they just the the problem becomes like a how do I maintain it? And no one's really ever thinking, and you know some of his family does, but Michael certainly become obsessed with how to maintain as opposed to you know, should I even try to keep this afloat? You know, what's this? What's what's this doing other than causing us whole pain?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The big question I had watching this was do you think and this is the flashback? Actually what did you think of the flashbacks? Do they work for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They did? I think.
Speaker 2: I mean the big danger of not running to like stories concurrently through different the time periods. Is is the danger of one lagging a bit and you're thinking, I wish I went back to the other story. Now, I didn't feel I didn't have that feeling at any point.
Speaker 4: No, my honestly, it was it was strange. I didn't like. I didn't have any complaints. I had stuff I wanted fleshed out more, and not not sincessarily because I didn't think the film did a good enough job, just because I wanted to spend more time with these characters, like, for example, his sister and his older brother's relationship I found fascinating, especially his older brother because and you've got a taste of it when his older brother yelled at him. But you know, the older brother clearly was, you know, upset at being minded by his little brother. And you you saw him, you know, yell at Michael. But you never really got to spend a lot of time with just the two of them to sort of see how that dynamic was being played out. And I don't think the film had time, Like the film was three hours and twenty two minutes, but it was it's such a fascinating world. I really I wanted that film to go for six hours, you know, there was just so many little bits and pieces that I wanted explored more, just because I was fascinated by these characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think I think Freido is the heart of the film. I think when I think of The Guy Father Part two, I think afraid of before I think of anyone, and he's almost invisible in.
Speaker 1: Godfather Part one.
Speaker 2: He's certainly there, and they said him on the Vegas and Magreen, you know, and all of that. But he he is not respected, you see, He's not respected by the family. Veto's got no Don Corleones, got no real time for him. And it's heartbreaking when you see that. Yeah, I think it starts from birth where he was. He was born with pneumonia, and you see Vito kind of like there's something going on. He's either hurt or he's like he's like, you know, damn it, I'm not exactly sure, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think he's also worried.
Speaker 2: He's not he's not He's not cold heart at all at that point in his life. And and I think that's almost that stamps his papers like he is, you know, the runt of the letter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it made me really wonder what the film would have been like had the protet has been his brother, and how that would have been watching his life and watching his brother, younger brother ascend to the sort of throne, and you know, seeing he's in a monologue and sort of that's the thing. Like I was kind of fascinated without his story as well well.
Speaker 2: And I we spoke about John Czar last time. He was only in five films and they all won Oscars. The Godfather one one, Godfather to Deer Hunter, the Conversation.
Speaker 1: And you know he knows how to pick up mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knows, he knows how to pick it and died during the making of the The Deer Hunter and Dog Day Afternoon was the other one, and it was It's just it's a travesty that he was overlooked. He did not get nominated for an Oscar that they uh Lee Strasburg, who played Hyman Roth, got nominated. Michael Gazo, who played Frankie, got nominated. Obviously Ondineer I got nominated. But anyone watching that film, I hate could watch that if you're voting and judging performances and not and not see John Cazal's performance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you said Rob de Niro got best supporting. Yes, I don't understand why his brother didn't get it instead because Rob I mean, Robert DeNiro is great in the film, but I don't think he I don't think he has the as difficult a role as the brother had to play.
Speaker 2: No, Rober thin the does a really great job of making you believe that he is the character that Marlon Brando set up in the earlier film. And that is there's no mean feat that's a really that's a really good performance. And I have no problem with him winning, uh you know, winning, but the junkers are I do agree. It is a better performance.
Speaker 1: There's more range.
Speaker 2: I mean, the these scenes that are just so heartbreaking, and it flows beautifully. It's set up beautifully in god Father Part one. I mean, it's amazing that they maybe, you know, like this wasn't always on the cards, you know, so the fact that this character existed and was you know, hadn't really been able to you know, flourish in a way and and doesn't. Again, doesn't get the character doesn't flourish, but the actor really does, and he's given some really meaty staff.
Speaker 1: It's it's incredible.
Speaker 2: So that alone is why I'm so glad that this film exists, just to see those, particularly a handful of scenes with John Gazal and Albacina.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 4: It makes me wonder what the like when the cameras when they say cut and you know what the downtime is like on those films, because there's such intense scenes and these these so much talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Freda Fredo you also just you feel sorry for him, like even if you were coming to Godfather Part two without seeing Godfather one, you you feel sorry for Fredo like they do. Like he's got his wife, his trophy wife, and she's getting pretty wild on the on the dance floor and they, you know, Michael sends you know, one of the guys over to say, if you can't control her, Michael says, you know, we have to. And there's no resistance. This is nothing. He's like, yeah, I think you're gonna have to. Like there's no resistance, there's no defending of his wife, but more so there's no resistance to the idea like that I can do it. I'll take care of this. I'll take care of this. Is this is my wife, and I will take care of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that you know how much of your personality is influenced by how your how your family views you. Yeah, and you know, I completely understand why he because he wasn't he didn't really feel like he betrayed. Michael felt like he was just trying to get something for himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think he did it because he was trying to. I mean there was obviously there might have been some spite there for his brother, but I just feel like he wanted to have something of his own.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw he saw a way in Yeah, I mean jumming. You know, obviously around a bit.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky film this would do in order, but let's let's have a listen to that performance. It's pretty much at that lake House, and it's Michael Collion.
Speaker 1: This is when.
Speaker 2: He hasn't spoken, so this is after he knows that he's being betrayed, and it's at the mum's funeral. We know that Michael had said nobody touches him while Mum's alive, so as soon as Mum dies, we know that Fredo is in trouble. But then at the funeral, Connie kind of convinces him to go talk to him. He goes to Fredo. It's the first time he's seen him for a while. And they hug, and Fredo is like his hands and his fingers are like digging into Michael's bag. He's like, it's like he's hanging onto a life raft. And and did you think in that moment that Michael was going to forgive him? I keep forgetting you. It is the first time you've seen it, so you don't know what's about to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought Michael was going to forgive him. And then when I saw Michael sort of nod to his looc I'm like, okay, so this historily lost. Yeah, and yeah, that was Yeah, I really thought. I really thought his sister had gotten through to him for a second.
Speaker 2: Two And so then they go into the office and and this this speech happens, and this is where this is why it's so Fredo's heartbreaking, and it's such a brilliant move to make him the older brother, you know, because you know, we're so used to the older brother is the one that protects, you know, the siblings, and the fact that he's the fuck up older brother, the one that can't be trusted to, can't they can't be relied on is just makes your heart ache a little bit. And this performance with fraid I just basically it's kind of sitting down, but he's kind of lying down on this kind of seat that folds back, and he's just it's like that life has been pummeled out of him, but this is his one last kind of chance and maybe to get through to his brother Michael.
Speaker 7: He said that you were being tough on the negotiations, but if they could get a little help and cause the deal fast, it'd be good for the family.
Speaker 1: You believe that story, You believe that.
Speaker 4: He said there was something in it for me on my own.
Speaker 1: I've always taken care of him, taken care of me. You're my kid brother, and you take care of me. I think about that.
Speaker 6: She ever once think about that same Fredo A to do this, Save Fredo. After do that, Let fred will take care of some making MOUs nightclub somewhere. So Fredo to pick somebody up at the airport. I mean, your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over. Ain't the way I wanted it. I can handle things.
Speaker 3: I'm smart.
Speaker 6: Like everybody says like dumb, I'm smart.
Speaker 2: And I want to spect it's such that guttural. You know, he's letting it all out. He has been let down, let down by his father. You know that his dad's plans for him was not what he wanted. You know, he just wanted what what? What do you think he wanted?
Speaker 4: Luke, I don't even know. H you tell me. It's like he was. And maybe this is me getting too personal, but I had an argument with my dad over the holidays where you know, I was just kind of I was kind of angry with him, but I didn't really know why. And when I was sort of sort of I was sort of getting frustrated without knowing what I wanted in return, I was just kind of lashing out, I think because I and I sorry to get to person on the podcast, but I was, you know, just because I felt hurt in the past and I just felt like I needed to let something out. I feel like Freida didn't really know even what he wanted is from his brother. He was just hurting and so he was just sort of letting that out at his brother because he knew that his brother couldn't you know, it was almost too late to change him, but he was at least going to have his he's at least going to lash out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I think he wanted some respect. I think he knew that he probably wasn't the guy to lead the family, you know. But I think if they had to have given him a bit more respect and time and love, or if they loved him differently, you know, than they do instead of like the patronizing kind of you know. So he you know, And I think it's like with It's like why people sometimes like to gossip, you know, like it gives him a certain feeling of like, you know, they know something.
Speaker 1: You know. So when when you know Johnny.
Speaker 2: Ola you know, approaches you know, afraidom it all happens without us seeing it. We only hear about it in retrospect. I think it's that kind of thing. Well, I'm important, you know, I feel significant. I feel important, you know, I can help out here. And even he says he, you know, he believes he was helping the family, and whether he I don't know, that's his you know, he's saying that in hindsight or he's trying to, you know, get out of a tricky situation, but he Yeah, I think that's that feeling of lost and not being respected and.
Speaker 4: What in Michael to knowledge that this is this is really hard, this is awful. Can you imagine being in my shoes that sort of thing where it's just like I'm your older brother. Yeah, And because I remember, I think I think there's a line where Michael says I've always looked after you, and he's like, you've looked after me, and he's.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, well he said, yeah, yeah, we just heard it him kind of saying that, you know, like that's not that's not the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't know if it i'd be interested to see, Like I haven't. I haven't watched it with my younger brother, my youngest brother, but you know, I'm an older brother. So that scene really hit me because I'm just like, oh, man, if I that situation was, if I was in that situation, I get it. Like because you, as the older brother, you are kind of you're kind of take on the role a little bit as a quasi parent. And I don't think I did a great job with that growing up, but you did feel like you were supposed to be at least the most responsible, Yeah, you know, and you know, not only did his family look down on him, But I can only imagine how much he must have felt looked down upon by everyone else looking in at the situation, thinking you're, wow, your younger brother is your boss. How horrendous were you? Yeah, I mean it's amazing he didn't do more to portray really, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like it's yeah, yeah, I think that's a good point.
Speaker 2: And you know, like I think no doubt he didn't betray Michael in a way that he thought was going to end up in any kind of damage or tragedy. You know, I think he felt like, oh, you know, I can be helpful to these guys, and maybe you know they can. You know, this will end up being a good thing for my family, you know, I believe that. And then there's the scene when he goes to Cuba and he, you know, and he hangs out with Michael and there's having like an Alfresco cafe and it's really you know, Fredo is kind of saying, oh, man, you know, like, you know, why can't we have done this more? You know, just hang out like you know, brothers, And it's it's really, you know, it's it's really heartbreaking because he, like I said, he's the older brother, but he's younger brother. He's not even he's barely accessible to him anymore. It's not just that he's powerful, but he's barely. It's hard to get a meeting with him. It's hard to get tired with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I felt the same way with the with the sister. Yeah, you know, with him sitting in the chair and he's sister having a kneel down beside him, and I'm just like, this isn't this isn't how family should work. It's uh, it just kept coming back to like how alone Michael is, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, as I stay, I'm afraid because there's of course, the big one of the big scenes is when we work out that that he did betray Michael. So we're kind of going a little bit in reverse, yere, but that's okay. And that moment that the Chino gives a really deaf performance in that moment when they're at the club, I think it is it New Year's Eva, like a big kind of Cuban kind of fiesta thing, and and he mentions that Johnny Ola told me about this place, and you know, he denied knowing Johnny Ola, and Michael hears that and that's enough for him to know that it was Fredo who betrayed him. And if you look, it's it's he doesn't say anything, Michael in that moment, but his reaction is so he's it's all in the eyes. And then you know, he's kind of heads in his hands and it's really heartbreaking. And then and then we hear that, you know the famous scene, which I think I might be wrong, but I think it is like New Year and it's and it's you know, you broke my heart, and that's the scene that we all know from from that movie. It's so it's it's it's devastating.
Speaker 1: There's a plain waiting for us to take us to Miami.
Speaker 7: In the album, don't make a big thing about it.
Speaker 1: I know it was you afraid you broke my heart.
Speaker 2: You clucked my heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, I remember. It was a it was the it was the same thing you said to me after you saw my first set.
Speaker 2: It was when I when I directed you in It's a date. It's how I's so you own cut. I just went up to you and said every time you broke my heart.
Speaker 4: And the crew nodded along, because that's about the.
Speaker 1: Performance well, you've come a long way.
Speaker 2: Look when you when you when they go outside and it's you know, there's crowds everywhere, and Michael's saying, yeah, Freida, come, you know we're going to the airport.
Speaker 1: Would you have gotten in the car?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. I I was surprised to see him back again. I guess he just didn't you have nowhere else to go.
Speaker 1: But it reminded me once when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I I thought I would be an older brother who's four years older than me, and I thought it'd be funny to.
Speaker 1: Lock him out of the house.
Speaker 2: And it was for a little while until he got so mad that I was too afraid to let him in the house. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like at that point it's just like, okay, now he has to sa outside forever.
Speaker 2: Well, he end up putting his fist around bedroom window. And there's another time.
Speaker 4: You're in there going I've created a monster.
Speaker 2: Well there's another time, for some reason, where we ordered pizzas. Mom and dad, we're out and we ordered pizzas, and I thought it'd be a funny idea. This is sit in the bathroom, locked the tall door, and sit in the toll with the pizza. I didn't open. I didn't open the pizza. I just would be funny. And then he was panding on the door so hard. How do I how do I get out of this situation?
Speaker 4: Like credit weapon of my destruction?
Speaker 2: If if the gap under the door was big enough for me to slide the pizza out, that would have been the best case scenario.
Speaker 1: I would have.
Speaker 4: Just squeeze. Yeah, it's it's I remember. I remember sometimes like if Dad was going to uh he just growing up for something we did wrong. We'd like run into the public or something like we'd run into an area where there were other people and you'd be like, Okay, now we can't do it. So I've dodged that bullet, but you just end up getting hit twelve hours later.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it was yeah, it was. It was just and I don't know if I relate it before skipping head, but when he's in the boat, yeah, I'm just like, oh, he knows everyone. It's just like, I'm surprised that sister didn't know the way. I wasn't sure if the sister did know or didn't know.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of I would say, reading between the lines, or interpreting. You know, I think I could watch this and have a different interpretation to a lot of the events that than you than you have. I'm not even quite sure how Michael knows who was behind that assassination attempt.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: And when you were following it, watching it, because he first goes to Hyman Roth and and he says, you know, Frankie is behind this, and that you know, I am going to have him taken care of. You know, I just wanted to let you know I don't want to go to war. And he's, you know, Heyman Roth, who is amazing, by the way, played by Lee Strasburg, who was like a like a more of an acting teacher than an actor in his own right. He was in you know, a certain number of films, but he was like one of the real proponents of the method system and process and he was a mentor to James Dean al Pacino himself, Dustin Hoffman, and he's just awesome, you know, like you meet him and he's like like for the villain, and we don't know he's the villain until you know a bit later on.
Speaker 1: But he's just like spread legs over.
Speaker 2: You got one leg that's over the over his couch and he's you know, he's got the chest hair going, and he's just watching a game, you know, a baseball game. I do love that he he says that, you know, one of his heroes is the guy who fixed the nineteen nineteen World Series. I thought, you know, that's he didn't really like baseball up until then. Yeah, that's what got him into baseball. That's somebody who could fix a World series.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, I I was thinking that that was that Michael never knew. And that's kind of why you've seen later on the film where his lawyers saying, you know, you've he won, Michael, there's no need to go any further. I feel like Michael was destroying olives enemies because he never really worked out who it was. So he decided, I'm gonna I'm going to scorch drest with everyone who's against me. Yeah, I'm the only one standing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was sure if he knew or he was still working it out, because he you know, because in Any tells Fredo that you know what's going to happen that that you know Hyman Roth is you know the man behind this, and you know he tried to have me killed. So it's yeah, and it's some things, you know, like and maybe it's all in there and I've I've missed it. I have looked around for it. You know, nobody seems to have the absolute answer.
Speaker 4: I wonder if he, if that scene hadn't have happened, whether he might have gone straight, whether that's anyone a path of destruct a destructive path, And if he hadn't had that, you know, his family under threat.
Speaker 1: What is a really interesting question.
Speaker 2: And even to go back further the veto Collie, do you think if Fernucci the black Hand hadn't ha taken his job by pushing his nephew into that grocery store that he worked at and pushing him out, and then he had Clemenza give him that in the borrow of the guns. There's a couple of things that happened, Like do you think that Vito Collone would have been quite happy to have that quieter, more respectful life and this raised his family and these things kind of then conspired against him and kind of inspired him to lead a life of crime or do you think a life of crime was always.
Speaker 4: I think it still would have happened because you know, he was so calculated and he shot him and it wasn't like a crime of passion. It was a very calculated, premeditated action that he took.
Speaker 2: And I felt but if Fernucci hadn't like he did that because he saw the way Fernucci was like behaving, you know, and it was threatening. I wonder if there was no if there was no boss, or that he was able to tolerate what Fernucci he was having to pay five dollars protection for whatever it might be. Does that Does that then mean that the Collione family doesn't exist, or does there's Vita Collione find a way to like, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe not, because maybe maybe he was because it felt like he did it because he was sort of against the injustice of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's a really decent guy.
Speaker 2: Like when when his ex boss, you know, who's just basically fired him, and he's very you know, decent with him, and he kind of says, I understand, I understand your situation, and he gets chased on the street. He tries to give him like a hamper, and then you know, and he refuses it, and he goes home and he brings home a pair that's all. He brings so many and he kisses his wife and he's happy. Yeah, and he's happy. And I just wonder if it had have maybe ended there.
Speaker 4: It felt like it was fear. It started for good reasons, and then eventually it became an empire that they had to like the where they felt like the ends justified the means, but the means were getting horrible and horribler. Yeah, to maintain what they had until by the time it gets to Michael, you know, it's lost all sense of family and it's no longer about justice. It's about maintaining the status quo. It's because I do wonder if he'd sort of seen that what it would lead to for his family, whether he would have done it all in the first place.
Speaker 1: And the other question I had was, and this is something you don't see.
Speaker 2: There's quite a few things that feel like they happened off Camerye, off screen. But it's absolutely fine. But I wondered why we didn't see the consequences of Veto killing the Black Hand, Like there's no like, like if somebody and we've seen the assassination of you know, or the assassination a tent on on on Veto in Godfather Part one, and then that's why Michael kills McCluskey and the second name escapes me for now, but and that's why he does that. There's a retaliation. There seemed to be no retaliation for for Finucci, which I think is really interesting. Yeah, this is doesn't seem to be any consequences for those murders, which it doesn't. It doesn't bother me. It's like I've seen the maybe lots of times, I've never really thought about it. It's like, oh, yeah, like you know that these movies are generally about if you kill the wrong person, if particularly the head guy, you know you are. That's why you know Michael had to go into hiding in sicily in the first film, that nothing. There seemed to be no ramifications for Vito Collione.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot of killing and then not a lot of follow up about the logistics and issues that caused.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then the next thing, you know, he's just doing rent control for people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's just like this guy's got this guy's like the guy cut in the stomach, the olive oil guy. Yeah, ye had a huge mansion, obviously had henchman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was just like.
Speaker 4: All, right, off we go, you know, it was it was, yeah, I did. I did think about that myself. Actually, it was just I guess it's just one of those things where you know, as a story writing, it's just like there'd be a way I could explain this, but I feel like it's not worth getting the film bogged down into the minutia, right, And.
Speaker 2: I think that's just really great brave filmmaking. And I think it's you know, you don't have to explain everything. And even the fact that when you know, kay reappears and we haven't seen him for a while, like it's it's kind of I'm not even sure if we'd seen her since this sassination attempt, you know, and then we see that she's said that she has had a well, not a miscaracter, it was in fact an abortion, and it's a really full unsecene and with the fact that we haven't seen her for that long and by this day it's probably a couple of hours and you know how many months in the in the story time, but we don't question it like the last time we saw them, you know, the first time we see them there they peuld have been loved and dancing and she's asking about you know, when are you going to be legitimate and all of that, and then there's assassination where Michael his first instinct is protects Kate. He jumps and protects her, and then this is I think this is like the next time we see her.
Speaker 1: But even though we haven't seen it, we haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen her her you know, you know, harangue him about you know, when are you going to get out of this business?
Speaker 1: When she says, and it's a really big thing to go from where.
Speaker 2: The last time we've seen her to not only you're having the baby, but it's I had an abortion and it was a boy. Actually fine, but we don't question it because, you know what, we can understand that Kay would feel that way because we have seen the actions of Michael and the Collie owned family, so we can completely put ourselves immediately in her headspace and go, yeah, this makes this actually makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's It's funny how as the film progresses, at least I started rooting for the people around Michael and not Michael. I wanted his wife to be happy, and then I wanted his younger brother to be forgiven, and then when he sorry his older brother to be forgiven, and then when he started being mean to his lawyer. It had been loyal to him the entire time. I started rooting for the lawyer to try and get out. It was the whole thing was just Michael became slowly became poison. And it was heartbreaking because you know, from the very start of the first film, you're really rooting for him to to get it, to not get sucked into this.
Speaker 2: It's a real slow descent in the hell, that's what you that's what you're watching. I mean when Kay says, you know, I had a miscarriage, his first question is not are you okay?
Speaker 1: You know? Was it a boy?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, It's it's like he didn't care about her anymore. He just cared about the continuation of what he'd built or what he'd maintained.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: If I had my way, if I was allowed to like magically create this scenario, I would have loved The Godfather Part two to have just been about the present with Michael, and then a Godfather prequel where it was Robert de Niro's story of the of becoming the Godfather. I would have loved that because I just felt like that was such rich storylines and worlds and characters. I would just I would have been very happy to spend three hours in both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, timelines, I completely agree. I mean, I'm glad god on other part who exist the way it does. But like, and there's a testament to the film in the ca characters that they've made. Of course, Mario Puzzo, the author, co wrote these scripts with francisvo Coppola. But I could easily, I could, I could watch, you know, a full length feature film with Fredo, Like, you know, I really would love to see We won't he's he passed away. But yeah, I would easily and happily watch that.
Speaker 4: It makes me think about story and you know, how much to show the audience and how much not too and how much is sort of implied. And I guess God, what makes Godfather special is that it feels like these characters have lives outside of their scenes and are whereas other films sometimes where something's not explained, it just feels like it's lazy writing, or like it's this this this film has a depth where you just, like I you know, you do feel like there's things happening it feels like you're in you're getting little snippets of a of a larger world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think when you make these epic films, you can kind of, you know, like be in front of your audience a bit and let them, let them catch up. And I think all good writing, you know, you have to be in front of the audience as soon as the audience gets ahead of you. You know, every every scene, the audience should be asking questions. You know, like you know there's and there's a difference between being way too confused and intrigued.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that you know, I'm writing, I'm writing an episode of How to Stay Married, like literally the final episode of the season, and like there was a scene that I had that I kind of was wondering if I was the cut out because you know, something happened. There's some advice that the character gives another character and then they act on that advice, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Do I need that?
Speaker 2: Can the audience can just understand why this character has made that decision, you know, And weirdly, when I was watching Kay, it's so ridiculous, I know to be talking like in these terms, but when I saw Kay had this, you know, and way more serious discussion and what's going to be happening on my little TV show. But like you just the audience gets it, you understand, as long as you know it doesn't come completely out of the blue, and this doesn't come out of the blue even though we haven't seen her for so long, because we know what Michael's like and we know that Kay has not liked this lifestyle, so it just it just makes sense. All all of her reasons for doing it have been in front of us, even without seeing her or seeing being inside her head. We don't need it because we've seen we've seen the life that's been put around her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and by that stage we absolutely agree with her.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just like, yes, get away from this guy. He's poison Yeah, and your children risk getting sucked into the exact same cycle he's part of. And it sucks because you know, we you know, we really loved Michael early on ye and that that you know, at the end where it's got him at the dinner table, I was just like, this is heartbreaking. This is heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and the the the dinner table, let's let's we'll maybe say the dinner table for the phone. We will wrap up pretty soon. And I know it's it's so much to jump around in this movie, but we should point out we did talk briefly about the killing of the nurture, but not the actual scene that that scene is is is it's iconic, but it's just a what a brilliant you know, these brilliant touches.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember sating the timmy.
Speaker 2: Little about die Hard and and you know the idea that Bruce willis, you know, like everything kind of happens when he's he's just kind of taking the shower and he's just you know, he hasn't putty. I don't think he's pretty his shoes on, you know. And then and that means he's running around in bare feet, and that means he's going to get wounded by glass. And that just adds another you know, these little decisions that you make that kind of have you know, ramifications, and and this is having like that, you know, the light not working or Vito kind of manipulating the light, and then and then you know, and and then Finci coming in and fixing the light, and you see this like as it kind of glows in and out you kind of see Veto hiding and then he comes forward and he's wrapped up the you know, a.
Speaker 1: Towel to act as a silencer.
Speaker 2: And then so so when Financi turns around, he's a bit confused as to what's happening because he recognizes the guy, but he doesn't know why he's holding this kind of white towel in front of him wrap around his and then he gets shot in the face, and and and then and then it catches on fire, which is just a brilliant just little detail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really interesting seeing what he what he did put in and what he didn't, you know, like you say, there's you know, the little touches there that the end it probably could have worked, but it was just him shooting him. But it you know, you got these beautiful moments soon the lead out for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well and it's also like the one another moment like that is is when and again, none of these things that you're supposed to kind of foresee, you're not supposed to go, ah, yes, you know they're doing you know, Bruce Willis is and put shoes on because he's going to run on glass later on, Like when when Michael is talking to young Anthony about fishing, and he's and it's it's kind of heartbreak because he's saying he's so proud of himself by saying, I used to catch the biggest fish. You know, out of all my brothers, I caught the biggest fish. And he says, the reason I caught the biggest fish because before you know, put the line in, I used to say a Hail Mary. And it's it's it's it's like a beautiful litle detail, and you think it's more, you know, it is about Fredo having a last moment to boast, and then when he's in the boat and he's there's a reason for him to say to Hail Mary, and the fact that he's praying with his back turn and he's about to you know, be assassinated as he's saying to Hail Mary is just you know, I mean, it's it's brilliant. It's so it's so damn brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, that's such a beautiful moment. And the way he framed it where he's like, really he's quite far out and then he starts to shift the frame over, so it's just Fredo and it's just yeah, it's it's good just almost to civilized life that he's alone it. Yeah, it made me wonder how much, you know, a director that's as skilled as he does as he is makes you think or feel something without you knowing that he's doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's that's where you know, rast for a couple is not just brilliant because he like, you know, he wrote a lot of these films with the puck ups now, so he's not just that and that he can make these big epicts, But there's so that all those things are just things that happen almost on a subconscious level, and you're not supposed to notice them until you do a podcast where you have to notice things like that, when you've got to talk about like you're not like that. They're supposed to either be cool or they're supposed to you know, And then you watch it maybe a second or third time, and then you start picking up these things. But subconsciously, the first time you watch it, you would have picked something, you know, something up. There's no doubt about that. And that's what's so you know, brilliant about it. And well, one point I just wanted to make out Michael's like the changing of Michael and from where he wasn't not only the side of this film, but even more so to start a series one is when because it's all about family. It's all about family, and he's weighing up and his chat to his mum and his mom says you can never lose your family, and Michael says, times are changing, and that's that's for me. It was like the Michael that we knew is definitely gone now, because that's right.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that. The conversation with his mum and almost trying to get his answers from his mom about how did dad do this without losing all of you or losing love and his mum. I don't think his mum quite. I don't know. His mom just couldn't. And maybe that was a chance for his mum to help him, but it didn't. It didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think his mum had realized because it's always been you don't help, don't do anything until mom dies, or don't tell you know, like she's been put I mean she's barely even barely seen.
Speaker 1: In these movies.
Speaker 2: You know, she's had more lines in this movie than she you know, I wouldn't have known what she looked like, to be honest, like after Godfather apart one. But yeah, it's it's it's really fascinating. So we get to the end. We'll wrap up soon, the final that the family shot, so Freda gets killed. We go to that family shot and what's heartbreaking is we you know, we go back to you know, pre Godfather film where Michaels announced he's going to join the army, and what's heartbreaking is Freda is the only brother that supports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a choice to do it.
Speaker 4: That's twisting and interesting seeing the lawyer be the one who was kind of against it. So maybe you get some of Michael's animosity later on. Oh sorry, earlier in the film where Michael sort of flashing out a bit at him. Yeah, you can see why now, because there's almost a bit of blame that he's in the position is because of that, It's because of him. But yeah, see seeing the brother lean across the table to shake his hand, I'm just like, it was just so sad.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so for on and then just a couple of things about that scene actually from a production point of view, James Kahn. Obviously he did like a day, and he demanded that he have the same salary that he got for the first film then just for just doing that day, which some people have said it was a little bit diverish. I say, if you can get it, get it. I imagine he was probably underpaid for, you know, the first film because you know, they didn't know if it was going to be a hit or not, and it was a hit, and so why not claim some of the back?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, his agent, obviously, his management obviously said look, they can afford this, so ask for it, and if we can't get it, we can't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I'm yeah, I'm talking that kind of stuff. I don't know what we could not know what the circumstances was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know how unreasonably it was, but it seems okay. Brando was supposed to be there but did not rock up because he decided that Paramount did not treating well during Godfather Part one and so did not did not arrive. So they shot it the following day and that's why he arrives and it's all happens off screen. I thought it works really well. Way they did it.
Speaker 4: I did too, and I actually think it might have hurt if he was there, because it did feel like this was about the brothers Yea and the family and the sister. It felt like I don't think the scene needed Marlon Brando's presence in it.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: If those paying attention Brando or don Keylote that's the next film. Don collie birthday would have been December seven, because there's a reference to the Jap dropping bombs on Daddy's birthday, which was of course Pearl Harbor on December seventh. So fun facts, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a fun fact. It's a mildly interesting.
Speaker 1: It's a really fun fact.
Speaker 2: Look and for your next film, you will watch Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck.
Speaker 1: It's a very similar film.
Speaker 2: I think you'll find it is interesting that, you know, like Michael survives and like Fredo ends up dead, Hyman Roth dies and Frankie, you know, he slashes his wrist in jail, which kind of I thought of the you know, after being visited you know by Tommy Hagen, I kind of the line. I thought it wasn't even from the Godfather, it was from the usual suspects. You know that he could he could bend the will of men, you know, the idea that he could make Frankie do that.
Speaker 1: Just through basically suggestion.
Speaker 2: It was was showed the power and the fear people had Michael coleone.
Speaker 4: Oh and yeah his brother at the trial, and I'm just like, oh wow, this is it set me off on a real mob mathia movie rabbit hole now because I've never seen good Fellows, so that's the next time I'm going to watch it. I am good Fellas and I'm just going to go down and then the Irishman. I'm just going to go through all.
Speaker 2: Well and and what and you know, have a break, go shoot rose Haven. But you'll come back hopefully next season, even the season after, you know, when you're ready to watch it.
Speaker 1: Godfather Part three gets a bit of a bum deal. I watched it.
Speaker 2: I actually interviewed fans for a couple a few months ago for the Godfather Part three. He has made some some tweaks, and I think it's I watched it and actually really enjoyed it. And after watching this like and watching go f Other part three so kind of recently like it makes even more sense to me. Now, and it's it's it's got a lot to offer, and it's not in the conversation of the greatest film ever, which this is, as is the First Godfather, but not many films are in that conversation.
Speaker 4: So is there a revised cut that I should watch instead of the original?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What watch the revised cut? It is a better it's a better movie because.
Speaker 4: I was Yeah, I was not going to watch it because I was scared of ruining the memory of the first two amazing films.
Speaker 2: No, you won't do that if you if you, if you lower your expectations a little, like they said, it's not in the same conversation as the greatest film of all time, but it is.
Speaker 4: It's better than something the Hedgehog.
Speaker 1: It's better than something the Hedgehog.
Speaker 2: It's better than most of the movies you it was for eleven Oscars, like, it's not like it was. It's no, So I recommend, I recommend watching it, but definitely watched the latest cut. And those who are listening, if you have seen GoF other part three, and I've been somebody who's kind of gone, you know, maybe you don't need.
Speaker 1: To watch part three.
Speaker 2: I really I enjoyed watching it and got a lot out of it.
Speaker 1: Actually, I will watch it, I am.
Speaker 4: I do want to spend more time with those characters.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well you will some more. I'm going to try to outfind the other fact before we go, luke a couple of facts about ninet eleven. We'll move on. Hrushma, No, we won't go there, okay. Martin Scorsese, he was almost going to direct this film after the first one.
Speaker 1: French for Coppola was not going to direct this.
Speaker 2: He was happy to write it, co write it, but he suggested they do they find another director, and he's suggested Martin Scorsese, a young Martin Scorsese pre mean streets Martin Scorsese. But the student didn't go for it, and he ended up directing it, and I think the right call was made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it would be fascinating.
Speaker 2: Would have been a great film as well, of course it would have been, and I would love I'm not sure if Corse has ever spoken about it, but I would love to know if he must have. Even you know, in the years since Gone, I had thoughts what would I have done with Godfather part?
Speaker 1: So I would love to know that I'd rather.
Speaker 4: What I'd love to know is what what would have happened to it if it was Michael Bay or Wes Anderson had directed.
Speaker 1: I often think what would it be like if Anderson directed something?
Speaker 4: My idea if he was if there was one director or Tim Burton, you know, just really.
Speaker 2: Mix it up for the Farrely brothers, Hey, Albercino ordered the script to be rewritten, and before he would agree, he wasn't happy. Apparently it's going to be reported differently. What the one I believe is that he didn't think the script was bad. He just thought it could be better. So he ordered some rewrites, which franch for a couple of like quite late into the piece, before they started filming. The first sequel to win Best Picture, the very first one. There's only been one more, can you name it?
Speaker 1: Luke?
Speaker 2: Another sequel to have one Best Picture, Best Oscar Best Picture. It was also part of a trilogy, and it was in this point of time eighteen years ago. Okay, and I must say i'd forgotten this one Best picture?
Speaker 4: Is it? What's the genre? Is a action?
Speaker 1: It's It'll probably give it away. It's New Zealand fantasy, all right, New Zealand based fantasy.
Speaker 4: Okay, rights, that's all that Lord, the Two Kingdoms, Heavenly Creatures.
Speaker 1: No, it was a Return of the king the final one, the final one.
Speaker 4: Oh, the final one. I thought you said it was the second in the trilogy.
Speaker 1: No. Sorry, if I said that, I apologize. I led you down the wrong path. I had no chance, no chance at all.
Speaker 2: Robert de Niro only speaks about seventeen words. I heard somebody say it's twelve, and others said seventeen. About seventeen words of English in this he learned all that. He spent about three months in Italy to prepare, in Sicily to prepare.
Speaker 4: Oh, he wasn't fluent at that point.
Speaker 2: No, I think he went and and kind of learned and immersed himself as he was prone to do. I'm not sure he's still doing that.
Speaker 4: It's so different with a movie, I guess, and you know, an act like Albacina. But I can you know, I can't imagine the panic in my face if one of our key roaws having actors sort of sent us a message saying, skips act good enough, right Jesus.
Speaker 2: A week lefter, well, we have had a couple of you know, like sometimes it's because an actor has, you know, a scheduling clash or something, so you have to rewrite or or a location.
Speaker 1: You know, that's often what happens.
Speaker 2: It's a we're at a different location, so you need to rewrite, and that can be stressful, let alone.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, we've had that. We've had like it wasn't a big deal, but at the time it was a big deal just because we were, you know, pushed for time. But we had a lot of jokes in the script about the meeting room. And then when we got to the actual office, a location we got didn't have a meeting room, and so all these meeting room jokes had to get thrown out.
Speaker 1: Have you been filming in that office for years?
Speaker 4: Like, no, We've had to change offers right between three times, right and with this and it'll be a fourth this season. We've got a new office this season as well. Because every time we every time we in between seasons, it gets rented out or demolished and made into something else or well.
Speaker 2: That that is the other thing that people you know, who watch television may not realize. It's it's like, because we have our family house, the Butler House, and we kind of, you know, just hope that we can get that house back and the family who lived there lovely and thankfully enjoy you know, the show and are happy to you know, to disappear for you know, be put up another accommodation for you know, seven I think three or four weeks.
Speaker 1: But you know that's often, I reckon.
Speaker 2: Often if you see a character move house between series, is because they couldn't get the house back.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Oh, and we didn't even acknowledge at this time. Last season we put like one line in there saying the same yet to move off us, and then this season we haven't even we don't even mention it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get on Twitter and say, hang on, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Hell changed officers and would have noticed that?
Speaker 1: For sure, I'll deny it.
Speaker 4: I'n't what we're talking about. I'll full I'll full on gas like you.
Speaker 2: And then and then I'll take pictures, screen picks of last season and this season and go proof is in the putty McGregor, fake fake news, facing news, alternative facts, last fun fact.
Speaker 1: Look before I thank you and send, you're on your way.
Speaker 2: Brando and de Niro are the only actors to win Oscars for playing the same character.
Speaker 4: It looks like the challenges on for us pizza. What role I liked it? Your last your last factors? You know the Gordon that's been thrown.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I recovered. I think I recovered from the the Pearl Harbor fun fact that you I think you're rattled by it, to.
Speaker 4: Be honest, it's just it's just a unusual and open with you. It was I would have swept that one in the middle as a kind of a side.
Speaker 1: Before we go.
Speaker 2: We had what one of the scene sequences we haven't mentioned was like the Senate inquiry whatever that was into the you know the mafia. It's the only time when the Mafia is actually mentioned in any of the Godfather movies. And how would you have gone? Do you think under such circumstances.
Speaker 4: Oh, just call it's a cucumber in front of it who sive media in a crowd and politicians trying to get me arrested.
Speaker 2: Cool as a cucumber, you say, Okay, Well, let's put that to the test. We don't often play little games like this, but I want I want you to answer some of the questions at the throne at Michael Collier. Let is see how Luke McGregor ticks, what he is like under pressure?
Speaker 1: Are you up for that?
Speaker 4: Yes, let's let's let's let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Question number one, are you the son of Vito Corleone?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean no, So that's that's an easy one right at the top. If I was, yes, sir.
Speaker 3: We have pestimony from a witness, a previous witness, one Willie Chichi. He has stated that you are a head of the most powerful Markeia family in this country. Are you.
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, look, I don't want to brag, but uh, you know, we do, okay, we do, okay. We're got the most social media followers, which is i something we're.
Speaker 1: Very proud of.
Speaker 4: And it's mar rate against his So you know, if I was, I tell you because I'd be proud of it, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: The witness has testified that you are personally responsible for the murder of a New York City police captain in nineteen forty seven, and with him a man named Virgil Solozzo.
Speaker 4: You deny this, yes, So there's a funny story there. I like, he died of natural causes, and then as I was trying to help him. I tripped and did shoot him and through the head. But that was that was post to death. And I just think the I just think that you guys have it in for me.
Speaker 3: Is it true that in the year nineteen fifty you devised the murder of the heads of the so called five Families in New York to assume and consolidate your nefarious power.
Speaker 4: First of all, I didn't know what the furious means, and I shoot him. It's bad. And second of all, you know, yes, But and I'm going to have to go to my lawyer on this.
Speaker 6: Is it true that you have a controlling interest in three of the major hotels in Las Vegas?
Speaker 4: I do, but only so much in that I am trying to get twenty thousand points because once you get twenty thousand points, you get a free stay in the King Sweet that has a spa. So more's it's more about what you call it points, Chaser, less about the murdering.
Speaker 1: This man's innocent.
Speaker 2: Clearly well played, Luke McGregor. You can go, you can work for you. You are an innocent man. What a relief, Hey mate, thank you so much again. I know this comes with homework. Often say but this was I think the longest film anyone has has watched for us.
Speaker 4: But I didn't have to run an essay. You just made me watch one of the greatest films of all time, so I can't complain.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Carl Chandler watch Titanic and it's a similar time, so yeah, I think you beat you beat that man.
Speaker 4: He must have been. He must have been to have chained himself to a chair because Carl does not like movies very much, he does not watch them.
Speaker 1: He did very well.
Speaker 2: It's very entertaining chat, as was this Luke McGregor. Rose Haven Series five will be on your screens in the ABC sometime this year. But mate, thanks again, and we'll catch you on the flip side, and.
Speaker 4: Expect a very very different season of Brosehaven now that I've seen The Godfather Part one and two. It's going to be some big shifts.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of scenes where where Luke's character closes the door on Cillybaqualla's.
Speaker 1: In her face to.
Speaker 4: Be Barbara, I reckon to be my mother nodding, and then rival real estation she just gets taken.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, Thanks people. That was Luke McGregor.
Speaker 2: One of my great mates and Godfather part who I hope you enjoyed that. I know we jumped around it like it's hard enough any film we speak about, because we don't, you know, I can go in with a bit of a plan as to you know, how I want the conversation to unfold. But my guests, who has watched the movie for the first time, you know, usually within the last twenty four hours, you know, they they have their own thoughts, and so we jumped around a lot today. I hope it kind of hung together and made sense. There's there's, so, there's. I had a lot more notes, but you know, I try to keep the podcast to a some kind of time minimum.
Speaker 1: It has blown out.
Speaker 2: I think the last time we chatted that god Father one, it was like a forty five minute of episode. I think we're you know, we're getting close to the running time. I've got Father parts with that one. But I hope you enjoyed it. It's a movie that ideally loved and continue to love. Also, yeah, I interviewed Friends for a Coppola a few months ago. That is I think on the project YouTube channel if you want to check that out. It's about a roughly about an eight to ten minute the interview. He was amazing and I did not have anywhere near enough time to chat with him. I could have spoken to him NonStop for a week, as I imagine you can imagine. Anyway, Thank you so much, Steric my Eyes, my podcast manager, Castways Studios dot com dot you for all your podcast need. You can get in touch with me at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Like Stair stair Hole, I'm not sure if that's the name or just your email.
Speaker 1: Just stair Hole gone to me.
Speaker 2: He loved or she I'm not sure if Stare is a lady or a man.
Speaker 1: Loved the Jaws episode with Celia Pacola.
Speaker 2: Some great bits of trivia and behind the scenes anecdote see Luke McGregor. Sometimes these fun facts are fun one minor, but dantic nerdy quibble, though always happy for nerdy quibbles. Dravius's character was referring to Brisbane, California. I made the point in that episode that he says Brisbane and it was like an ausy shout out, which is pronounced exactly as he said it. So it's right on the San Francisco Bay, which is full of sharks, so it makes more sense than being summoned to the inland of Brisbane, Queensland. Hooper's Brisbane line bothered me for about forty years until I learned this. Now I can enjoy the movie fully and sleep soundly. That thank you so much for that, because I did think it was weird that he would have been called the Brisbane. I just kind of took it more so that he was called the Brisbane or Queensland where you know there are sharks around, but yes, Brisbane, San Francisco did not know that place existed. Hello, if you're listening from there, Teresa Smith is loving the show. Good Apete, Thanks so much for a great podcast. Your chats always seem so effortless and casual because my guests are awesome. I've started a list on movies I've not gotten around to watching yet, so I enjoy hearing others thoughts before committing that's each There's more people than I thought are listening to this podcast before they watched the movie, which is hey, each of their own. The last two episodes really took me back. That was Grease and Pretty in Pink, and I watched them over and over and over again as someone who grew up in the eighties. A couple of comments stuck with me and I usually don't write emails, and I'm sure you get loads, so may not get to this one.
Speaker 1: Well guess what I did.
Speaker 2: But in Greece, when you were discussing a net, I wanted to tell you it's a net fun of Cello. For all the things I've called out for people to kind of like, you know, to comment on, this is the one that has got the biggest reaction, and that fun of Cello. She was an actress from the Mickey Mouse Club. I did cover that last week, but thank you Theresa for getting onto it. The other comment was between you and Dave Hughes as to what Andrew McCarthy is up to these days.
Speaker 1: This is interesting.
Speaker 2: He was the director of Orange is the New Black and apparently a travel writer who has one awards. I reckon I'll give up back think too.
Speaker 1: What a gig.
Speaker 2: Anyway, thanks again for a great podcast regards, Teresa. Thank you much, Teresa yasny podcast at gmail dot com. I love all the reactions I'm getting and I've said a few times, this lovely community we're building. It's a lovely kind movie loving space and I appreciate it. Next week on the show or next episode, very funny lady. I've known her for about a decade now and she has risen and risen and risen year on and in the comedy industry.
Speaker 1: She's much loved in the comedy.
Speaker 2: Community and her brand is becoming bigger and bigger each year. Jeraldine Hickey is one of the funniest ladies in Australia and she'll be joining me next week to discuss Harold and Maude. There is a lot to discuss about that film. It's a film I saw for the first time a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward again to watching it before I checked the jazz and yeah, So next week Geraldine Hickey, the very Funny Jeraldin Hickey discussing Harold Mode. Until then, Bye, and so we leave Old Pete save Fan Soult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.