Speaker 1: Got anything dead.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Good morning Patsy, Good morning Jack, Morning guys. Now, before we get into double thumbs up, which is where we go around the team when we share what we're enjoying at the moment, where it's a Booker TV show, movie, whatever, let's find out what is everyone doing this weekend?
Speaker 2: Patsy, what are you up to?
Speaker 3: We're actually going out with friends for a brunch. Do you do much of a brunch? We do a lot of brunches as postsinners. Yeah, on Sunday, which is great. They've just moved like they semi retired. They've moved down the coast. How the other half live and so they're finally coming back to the big smoke.
Speaker 2: I prefer meeting friends for lunch. Yes, I like a lunch.
Speaker 1: I meet friends today for lunch, and I'm really excited about the evening thing, specially on Friday night.
Speaker 2: You're like, because I'm too.
Speaker 1: Formal, I always want to get too tired, you know, on a Friday, You're like, my poor wife, she looks forward of going out to Friday night and I'm always.
Speaker 2: Like, what time can we leave? Just shut your anti buzz question. Is it, my poor one? You think we can leave by night, So lunch it feels a bit more Yeah, I like.
Speaker 1: I love a long lunch sometimes as well. I think it's more exciting as well. What are you up to this weekend?
Speaker 2: Chack?
Speaker 4: Bianca has sent me a message already since I left the house this morning. She says, Hello, my handsome husband. I've booked us in for something very fun and weird on Saturday night. We'll have an early five point thirty pm dinner at home, then be ready by six forty five at the latest dress code cool and snazzy with some riz ah.
Speaker 2: Do you want to So you're not going out to a nice restaurant.
Speaker 4: No, because we're eating dinner beforehand. This is all I know, as much as you know, eating dinner at five point thirty to show.
Speaker 1: At the moment that I keep seeing advatise everywhere? Is it Museum of Desires?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know what what is that? Is it the sex one? Yeah? Oh yeah, it's like a sex museum. It's not sex museum.
Speaker 1: It's more sort of it's people of different persuasions and things not there's people there who might be into that thing that brings them joy.
Speaker 2: Might be just thing as an elf right, Okay, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I spoke to someone who works here that went there last weekend and said there was a lot of orc people and people looking for love dressed as elves.
Speaker 4: I could be going there. I would be surprised if that's what is trying.
Speaker 1: Oh, she said, it's going to be a surprised, a little bit cool, with a little bit of rasp.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's just send me her outfit. It is an elf Oh, there, you have a lovely time.
Speaker 1: Our whole weekend is about the events of Sunday, dropping off our youngest daughter, who is going to be the last to leave home. It's a one way trip for her, two way trip for my wife and I and I do believe around the corner there are going to be tears. I'm more worried now about how my wife is going to handle it right, because yesterday I said to my wife, because you know, we had Amanda Keller on the show and we were talking about, you know, like the ages of our kids now, and I said, oh, Amanda, last time I spoke to you, Ruby was leaving home. Can you believe fast forward two years was gone?
Speaker 2: So quickly. It's lowest this weekend, I said my wife, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It was really bringing it up for me right talking about what it's going to be up there Sunday.
Speaker 2: Wife just stops me. She goes, Chris, I'm just pretending it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh no, I'm now more worried about Sunday.
Speaker 2: That is not a way to deal with it. Denial.
Speaker 4: That is enough the therapy parenting book.
Speaker 2: Should we drop off, she ain't coming back. Just pretending it's not happening.
Speaker 3: You need to plan something nice in the second half of Sunday for her.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe go to the l show in the Let's get our.
Speaker 2: King con What are we going to do with all that time? If nothing else? Good luck this weekend, guys. I'm just going to pretend it's not happening. Is it's going to be big this weekend.
Speaker 1: We're getting to double thumbs Up coming up next here on Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 2: Three, a Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Every Friday, the start of the show, than we do a thing called double thumbs Up. This is where we talk about the shows or the things that are lighting us up at the moment. If you've got something that you want to share with us, new TV show, whatever it is for you, please, you can test the show. Oh four seven five three one oh four three. On that last week, one of you said, Christian, because I'm looking for a new TV show the moment You've got to watch.
Speaker 2: Do you like Billy Bob Thornton. I love Billy Bob Thornton.
Speaker 1: He's in this new shown. I and my wife gave up twenty two minutes in. It was, yeah, a bit of it. It was men arguing about land rights for oil trilling, and I kept saying to your wife, no, no, no, this, this won't be another scene. And it was like, I'm gonna need to get that least for twenty years. We got thirty pump jacks when I gotta do far By seven trillion bowels a day.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, this is linear.
Speaker 1: The next scene, No, there's more men cowboy hats arguing around tables about barrel price.
Speaker 4: And I think the TV show is made to make us feel empathy for the oil type cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like this and this Billy Bob Thornton, who's brilliant everything. He's like the guy who's in charge of all and you meant to feel empathy for, like, this is the worst job in the world, making billions every day for rich fat.
Speaker 2: Cats around the world. Like I'm not. I'm struggling to connect with this.
Speaker 1: So I'm sorry. Double dumb sell for lamb Man left me cold. However, what has lit me up this week is the return of one of the smartest TV shows over the last couple of years. It feels like it's a modern Agatha Christie and that is The Brilliant White Lotus. We're up to third season now, it launched this week. It's in Thailand. It's a different location each season. Two years ago it was The Beautiful Rounds of Italy, and before that, the first one was in Hawaii, So it feels like the actual location is one of the co stars of the movie and.
Speaker 2: It's just a mark.
Speaker 1: It's that really good grown up TV where within the first hour there's a lot going on, right, there's a lot of new characters there, and normally you can give it overwhelmed Game of Thrones, Yeah, which turns out do we like them with this? I don't know how they do it. Not till one hundred, over an arc of forty five minutes, I know all the characters. They're so well etched out, the family, the three school friends, the ladies that love each other but don't really underneath that there's something else going on.
Speaker 4: And you already get a sense of who you like.
Speaker 1: And who you do yes, yes, or within forty five minutes. I don't know how they do it. It's brilliant. I'm gutted they're only doing it once a week, but I'm glad in a way because actually, otherwise we'd have seen it.
Speaker 2: All by now.
Speaker 4: So what is the drop night?
Speaker 2: Monday?
Speaker 1: Monday night, Monday morning? Only because I went snipping around, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, what's the earliest? So if you hear me this month they stick on.
Speaker 1: Stairway to Heaven that I couldn't wait for episode two, So yeah, White Looatters cannot recommend that enough. Go back to the first season if you missed it. It's absolutely brilliant. And the other thing that I'm really enjoying at the moment is a book about the nineties. Right, every different decade has something from it that you loved, But I really loved the nineties because for me, that was really where I felt like.
Speaker 2: I came alive.
Speaker 1: I left home, went to university, met a girl, got done by a girl, fell out of love, met my wife Sarah, arted in radio, got married. A lot for me happened in the nineties, and I moved to London for the first time. So for me, the nineties is a really special time in my life. So this book is it's not just a lazy nostalta trip about the nineties and how good was this or that. It's actually about what was going on culturally in sport, around the world, music around the.
Speaker 2: World, golf wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you go back to twenty about Oasis, who are back around this year and performing live again, and it takes you back to just what There's such a great variety of music in the nineties, and it's not like all new music now it's bad, but this felt there was a real lot of variety, and also there was an explosion of grunge and Nirvana and Soundguarden and Pearl Jam. It was a great time for music. And also then you look at all the movies as well. There was a Gulf War, so this really interesting backdrop. And also what it really made me realize was when nine to eleven happened, so much changed, right when I'm reading this book in the nineties, I'm remembering it's the time before what happened in two thousand and one and nine to eleven, and you really realize we're still fitting the massive ripples of what happened on nine to eleven, and even us before that life was so different. And this book, it's a great book. I'm loving it. It's by a guy American writers' a Brillian Wrights. He's written a couple of great books called Chuck Klosterman. You might have a podcast before, really smart, interesting guy. He's American Servicely, it's just filtered through. It's if only America had the nineties. So sometimes I'm getting so angry reading it, but it's still really good. It's simply called the Nineties Bringing But Chuck Coosterman, you love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, take a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we get Patsy and Jack's Double thumbs Up The.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's show. We're doing double thumbs Up. We do this every Friday. We tell about the things we're into at the moment. Patsy, what are you giving double thumbs up to? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I went to the launch es today of the Mother's Day Classic, which is the thumb run that they do each year for Breston Overian cancer research. They've raised a massive amount of money, something like nearly fifty million dollars for research across the course of doing it. So just letting you know. Registrations are open and you see lots of girlfriends running or walking with prams and all sorts of things. It's a really great weekend. It's for a really great cause. So just pop onto their website and you can register from now.
Speaker 2: It's a where is the website, Patsy.
Speaker 3: It is Mother's Day Classic. If you just look that up, it will come straight up and you'll be able to lots of drop downs to register and pay a nominal fee that goes to a really, really great cause and a really good book is I Love and Command? I love Will Ferrell. It's one of my favorite things that he's done. And he's done. Did you know he's done a Ron Burgundy book. It's been out for a little while. Let me off at the top. It's so good. I've already read it once, but I've read it again because we watched And Command with Audrey the other weekend.
Speaker 4: Reread it s high praise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the best prase for any book.
Speaker 3: So so funny, and it's almost like you can hear him reading it now.
Speaker 1: I want to get the audiobook because hopefully Ron does his own book. I really hope he does the book version.
Speaker 4: Reminders of Steve Coogan writing the Oh that was Nomad's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's really funny. If you love and command, you will love it. Ron Burgundy, let me off at the top. It's hilarious from start to I think I did it in like two days one weekend.
Speaker 2: Jackie boy, what have you enjoyed this week? Yeah, I've got a book as well.
Speaker 4: I'm reading Rogues by Patrick radd and Keith, who is fast becoming my favorite author. I read two books of his last year and two of my favorite books. Say Nothing, which is about the IRA in Northern Ireland in the seventies, is an unbelie We'll read.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of emails from people who were so interested about you talking about that and us talking about it, and it's now a Disney Plus TV show has been adapted to drama of it. But the troubles in the Northern Line right the peaks of the troubles as well. That actually, quite a few of our listeners have bought the book and they finished it in record time.
Speaker 4: It's funny that reads like fiction. It's just first of all, it's it's incredibly hard to believe time that happened.
Speaker 2: But the way he writes.
Speaker 1: The detail he does about it in Lesser Hands, it would be a hard read because hard read. It's a hard story to tell as well, over so.
Speaker 4: Many years and so much there's so many go but he writes in a way that it feels like fiction.
Speaker 2: He wrote that book is brilliant.
Speaker 4: The other book I read of his last year was called Empire of Pain, which is about the Sackler family who made oxy conton and caused the opioid crisis in the US.
Speaker 2: A big, thick book.
Speaker 4: I thought I'll never get through this, but it had such great reviews. Now I tried it and it did. You read it like it was fiction, and you.
Speaker 2: Really, So, what's the new one? Rogues is that like his greatest head.
Speaker 4: Rogues is so he was a magazine writer before he became an author, and it is all his best magazine stories about it's true stories of grifters, killers, Rebels and Crooks.
Speaker 2: What a title.
Speaker 1: It's great his name again Jack, because people want to know who this.
Speaker 2: Is, Patrick Radd and Keith.
Speaker 4: The one I read yesterday was about this Dutch crime family, like essentially the mob in the Netherlands, and this sister ended up going to trial and putting her brother, her own brother in It's an amazing story.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: That's double thumbs up for this week. Everything we talk about. By the way, if you're missing an even you want to remember what they were, we always put them up on Instagram look for The Christian O'Connell Show. We put it up there as well, and on our Facebook home as well, The Christian O'Connell Show
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast