Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sit Down. I'm viv Christie, Managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Metrolop, a writer and editor for ozopen dot Com and Viv where diving back into the archives this week. Why are we bringing back this episode with Mira Andreva.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a great time to revisit our chat with Mira Andreva, who has recently been crowned the Roland Garross Women's Champion. So it was a fascinating interview at the time, speaking to a seventeen year old mirror just before Wimbledon two years ago. She'd only just turned seventeen but already was showing some incredible signs of becoming a Grand Slam champion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a few weeks before that she'd had her Grand Slam breakthrough. Then at Roland Garross she upset Sabalinka and made her first Slam semi final. But it was really interesting when we were bringing this episode back. I looked at where she was in July twenty twenty four. She was still outside the top twenty, she'd never won a WTA title, and just after this interview she went on to win her first WTO title. In Romania are two point fifty and it's incredible to think that in the two years since then she's gone on to win basically at every level. She's won five hundred, she's won a couple of WTA thousands, and now she's won at Roland Garross and also not long after this interview she won an Olympic silver medal. So just phenomenal what she has achieved in such a short space of time. And from world number twenty three when you chatted to her, she's now cracked the top five and you know, seemingly onto bigger and better things. So it's just amazing to reflect where she was at the time and when she's come to now.
Speaker 1: Mira, thank you for your time today. It's great to have you as a guest on the sit down. I wonder if you could start by sharing with our listeners how you had your start in tennis.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: I started playing tennis when I was six years old, but I spent like three years before in the tennis court because my older sister she started playing as well.
Speaker 3: She will she started when she was.
Speaker 4: Around five, and so yeah, since I'm three years old, I've been spending some time on a tennis court. But I wish I would have started earlier, but I remember that I couldn't hold a racket in my hand. It was too heavy and it would just keep falling down. So yeah, I started when I was six. I started in Siberia, in Krasnoyarsk, is the city where we come from, and yeah, that's basically it. After we moved to south of Russia the city named Sochi, and since then we lived there for five six years and after now we live in Khan for I don't know, almost three years now.
Speaker 1: Already you started with when you were six, as you say, and now you're seventeen, so that's barely ten years. And in that time you've had wins over top ten opponents including your idol on Jibur, and reached the semifinals at Rollandaros. Does it ever feel like a bit of a dream?
Speaker 4: At first, it did, and it still feels like a dream, of course, because I've been watching these tournaments when I was a kid on a TV having my breakfast. Before I was I would go to school, so of course it feels like a dream to me to be here and play all these tournaments.
Speaker 3: But now I.
Speaker 4: Already get used to this a little bit. I start to, you know, feel the atmosphere more, and I start to kind of feel like I start.
Speaker 3: To belong here. It's not like.
Speaker 4: I'm new anymore and like new surprise or something. And yeah, that felt like a dream. But now I get used to this a little bit more and it just feels like my life.
Speaker 1: Now you're joining us at Winbooden. When you reached the fourth round last year as a qualifier, how have you changed as both a plier and as a person since then.
Speaker 4: Let's say as a player, I changed. I think I became more aggressive and I know what I want on court. It's not like I just go there and play and try to enjoy and just win as many games as I can. Just now I go and I know what I want and I know what I also need, if I can say need. So yeah, I think that as a player, I became more kind of a straightforward and I feel like this not helps me, but this is a bit of next level for me, a bit of an upgrade. Yeah. And as a person, yeah, a bit more mature, as I said once and.
Speaker 3: Just and that's it.
Speaker 4: Actually I'm still the same as I was last year, maybe a bit more yeah, mature, and I don't say some crazy stuff anymore, but still the same old mirror.
Speaker 1: In your upgrade as a player, as you call it. You reached the semi finals of Roland Garross. You had wins there over Victoria Azarenka and Arena Sablenka. How do you look back on that experience?
Speaker 4: Of course, looking back to that, it feels amazing, especially if we start with the second round match against Azarenka, A little thriller there. I knew, I mean Grand Slam champion, she has won a lot of tournaments, she has a lot of experience, and I just went on court and I was like, well, mirror, you gotta do your best to beat her. And I felt like I did more than my best and it was an amazing match. We finished at one am. It was the latest finish of my career, and looking back to that, I'm really really really happy about that, and that much I think I'm gonna remember it for a very very long time. And of course much against Saballenka is also kind of a thriller for me. But unfortunately I didn't really have time to enjoy the moment when I was in Paris because we finished pretty late and then next day I had a semi final to play, so I didn't really have time to enjoy the moment there. But after I took some time to just realize and understand what happened. But yet now it doesn't seem to me like a surprise. I mean, of course, was a tough match. She had some I don't know, trouble with something, probably her stomach, and it was hard for me to play because she called the phisio a few times and it's always hard to keep your focus on a game. So yeah, I'm just happy about that win, and uh yeah, happy about everything that I did during French Open.
Speaker 1: And you're a very artistic and creative player. You're known for being very intelligent on court. That draws a lot of comparisons with Martina Hingers. How do you feel when you're compared to Martina Hingers?
Speaker 4: Well, I like that it's not a bad compare not a bad compaiment comparison. Yes, okay, so yeah, I like that. I like that people see a bit of same kind of game between us because I when I was younger, I wanted to play like her because I felt like we have a pretty much same a game style, but she was kind of.
Speaker 3: More aggressive than me. Me.
Speaker 4: I would like play the point and build the point until the last moment on the baseline until the girl is there they're running, and me I would just finish the point, and her, I feel like she she goes for it and she tries to finish the ball at the net and she's more aggressive. But yeah, it's it's really nice that people compare us and they say some stuff. They see the same game style, and yeah that I like that. It's not bad, you know, if people compare it to a Grand Slam champion. So yeah, it's it's nice to hear.
Speaker 1: It's it's thirty years since your coach Conchitta mount One Wimbood And what has she told you about that time.
Speaker 4: First, of course, she's she's having a bit of a flashbacks this trip, and yeah, we've talked a little bit about that. And I watched the final with her, she said, So I put on the video from YouTube, her final against Nevratilova, and she's like, no, no, no, don't watch this this moment start from this score in the second set. I was like, uh huh, okay, And of course I put the moment that she didn't want on purpose. But yeah, she of course tells me about the way she played, but I feel like she doesn't really like to talk about it because maybe she doesn't want to feel old comfare to me. I don't know, but yeah, sometimes I just ask her how did.
Speaker 3: It feel like? And what did you do there? And what do you do then?
Speaker 4: And yeah, she shares some experience and emotions with me, and it's really really nice to hear what she was going through that time. And yeah, she's gonna play Legends Mixed doubles and she said, don't you ever come to my match? I was like, why, but I want to support you. She's like, no, I don't want to see you there. And so it'll be on a second week. I hope I'm still gonna be here, and I have a plan. I'm gonna prepare a piece of paper, a huge piece of paper. I will write con Chita Martinez, let's go, and I will go to her match and I will waive this piece of paper that said like that she can see me and I will be her number one fan. So yeah, that will be nice if we're still gonna be here.
Speaker 1: That speaks a lot about the strength of your relationship. Yeah, you've reached the second week of the Australian Open. When and Roland Garros every Grand Slam surface, which one do you must love to play on?
Speaker 4: Well, that's actually really hard question. Before I would say clay right away, but now I when I play on hardcourt, I miss clay court so much. But when I play on clay court, I want to go back on hardcore because yeah, just like the sound when somebody plays on hardcourt. But when I play on on on heart or on clay, I want to go on grass because I really like the sound when the people play and when they move on court.
Speaker 3: It's so soft.
Speaker 4: And it actually depends but yeah, I don't even have a favorite service actually because it also depends on a time and on how I feel. So yeah, it's a really complicated question for me, but I would say that I love them all.
Speaker 1: Are you still studying and do you still high chemistry?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yes, I still study, but now luckily we have summer holidays at school. Yeah, and I still don't really like chemistry because well that's really hard for me to understand and I don't really have time to really go into it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, probably when after. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe when I finished my career, I will be like forty forty three. Maybe then I will have a wish and desire to go and study chemistry, But I don't think so. So yeah, I'm still studying and luckily I don't have to do anything now anymore.
Speaker 1: When we talked earlier in the year at Brisbane and you were reading Gone with the Wind at the time, are you still.
Speaker 4: Reading, I'm reading second part. Yes, so don't tell me what's gonna happen. But yeah, I enjoy reading sometimes. It really helps me to put some nervous moments aside and to focus. And I when I read, I have I think I have a pretty good imagination. So when I read, I have like pictures and everything in my head, and I imagine that I'm there and I'm reading and just looking at them kind of like I'm with them.
Speaker 3: So yes, I sometimes I really like to read.
Speaker 4: And this is a very very good book and I really really like it, so yes, hopefully I can finish it soon.
Speaker 1: And you've achieved such a lot in such a short amount of time. What's what's your tennis dream?
Speaker 4: Well, of course, I think if you ask every tennis player. They will say that their tennis dream probably to be number one and to win a Slam, or to win Olympics. But me, I would say that after I finished my career, I just want to be remembered for a very very long time, and I want to be remembered as a champion and as a player who never never give up, as a player who people look up to. And I would say that this is one of my dreams that I really want to accomplish and I really want them to happen.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, You're already so far into achieving that, So thank you for your time today and good luck.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I wasn't that fascinating to look back, you know, she was already at seventeen, having just turned seventeen. She was already feeling such a sense of belonging at the top of the game. And it was interesting when, you know, we asked her tennis dream, and it wasn't to become a Grand Slam champion. It was to be remembered as a player who never gives up and people look up too. So I think she's already achieved her tennis dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she said something almost exactly the same as that. Two years on, after she won Roland Garross, there was the story about how she'd worked with her psychologist to work on her on court demeanor and how she looked up to Roger Federer and the serene aura he brought to the court, and she said she made an active and conscious decision to show up the right way on the court and choose how she behaves on the court and how she approaches matches, and the quote was, so I just decided to choose to be a fighter. So that is that mental approach is carrying on all these years later, and it's taken her to the very top.
Speaker 3: Of the sport.
Speaker 1: Amazing to see.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll be back again next week with another episode of The sit Down. It's going to be a special one where we bring you a best of Wimbledon episode. So over the course of two years of our podcast, we've had lots of guests talk about their Wimbledon memories and we're going to bring you a snapshot of all of them.
Speaker 1: Please remember to subscribe to The sit Down so you never missed an episode, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review. See you next week.
Speaker 3: Matt see you then Viv