Speaker 1: iHeart podcasts. You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, we were moving our twenty one year old daughter Ruby and with the moving day was Saturday and it was our intimate and rain and you go into the big van that we had to use for it and carrying stuff. And while we're driving around North Melbourne, I suddenly thought there was a guy who was navigating, who was driving and also juggling a melways Oh wow, old school instant legend, instant legend. I was just like, wow, it just to be back to how it used to be before we outsourced everything to our phones. And how you know, when I used to drive around London, a big city like that, same as Melbourne here, you'd have this aid to z the street atlas and it'd be quite stressful. Sometimes you'd have to pull over because you were going off the edge of a page. Yes, and it felt like you're going off the edge of the world seventy four onto the top North And I know I haven't got that be covered and I haven't got great or greats at London. Sometimes I would write and post it notes the directions rather than having to like the old Mel ways mic This guy I saw on Saturday who was actually driving looking around and with one eye down on real time, in real time, I'm not sure that's legal level there.
Speaker 3: Probably there's probably no more laws about that anymore. No one's using a mill.
Speaker 1: Want to do they still publish those sally good question, because obviously you know, years and years ago you'd have like the tom toms and an actual do you remember that? And then now it's now it's not just standard on phones, doesn't it with Google Maps? Or for the crazy people at my wife waigs which is the most aggressive driving. Oh we can shave off seven seconds if we drive through these people's gardens. It is. It's all like jerky, I've left right here, right here, left here, left here, just to sort of save ten seconds off with ways. My wife uses ways. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: My old man used to love the Scottish accent of the woman. He used to Yes, yeah, you always have it on the Scottish woman.
Speaker 5: She's talking. What how could you even understand the Scottish?
Speaker 3: You can still get in melways you can buy them actually at office works.
Speaker 1: How much does a Melways cost? Have a guess, I don't know. Fifty bucks, big big old thick street apples.
Speaker 5: Fifty seven bus wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: So today I want to know kids today will never know because the kids today, like my daughters, you know, they can both drive, but they don't know where anything is. If I say, hey, can you can you drop me at so and so, They're like, where's that one? What's just for that way? Two suburbs of I'd have to look on my semi address and have to look on Google Maps. They don't have the New York pathways that we used to have to form when you had to look around someone understand where you were. Like even now, I don't think i'd be very good giving direction to somebody. Haven't you got a phone? Oh? I get my phone up and go go theft right down here. I've looked on this computer game.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't understand having to pull over and ask someone in the town for direction.
Speaker 5: How do I get to hear they go?
Speaker 1: And they used to have to know the local sort of landmarks to say, and when you go to town, you've got that's it. Yeah, you've gone too far. If you go to the red line pub, turn around the server, you go to the servo. They were the unofficial gatekeepers of local knowledge. Yeah that mud now that. I think they look at you if you're mad, if you went I'm lost. I've got one hand on the panic one. There's no money left in the till overnight. All right. Kids today will never know, Patsy, what's it for you?
Speaker 6: I got a text from school on Friday and I looked at it and I thought, why do I need to be across this? This is ridiculous To let me know that the power had gone off for an hour and that classes were kind of disrupted, but all had been restored to normal sort of schedule and not to worry.
Speaker 5: And I thought, why.
Speaker 6: Do I need to be across this?
Speaker 5: That is fine?
Speaker 6: Whereas when we were at school, we'd have floods and bushfires and god knows what, and.
Speaker 5: Mum none the wiser at school.
Speaker 6: My mom would not have a clue if we were sick, and the teacher had to call for her to come and get us unless she was if only if she was home and on the landline. If she wasn't home, forget it.
Speaker 1: You were like woulds. No, No, there was no coming to get if you weren't ill, you just waited for the school bu or you sat in your seat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just sitting there.
Speaker 1: And also it was just so unpleasant in that medical bit anyway, some terrifying elderly nurse there. He probably got fired from nursing anywhere. Struck off. You were like, I've just stuck it out with here. I think I've got newmonic fever. But I just I just sit here and saw on myself.
Speaker 7: I had three stitches in my head once because I smashed my head on the roundabout at school, and I waited hours from my parents because they couldn't track them down. I just sit there and then looking at my head, going, oh my god, I'm yeah, it was a disaster.
Speaker 1: But yeah, kids would never know that now. I remember when I was thirteen, I was we were playing in a taken on a local really rough school as well, in a hockey game and someone raised the stick too high and I split my lip open. I had to go to the hospital right so the pee teacher drove me there, so I literally was bleeding. I had to have like eleven stitches when I got to the hospital. On the way he stopped a newsagent. I'm like leading, I'm in the front seat of his car. He goes to get a newspaper and some cigarettes and then carries going, you're right, we might be we might be there a while, so I just need to have something to do in smoke. And I didn't even think that was odd. I gave it moan to my parents. It's just like, yeah, it's actually I've inconvenienced with these stitches. Shame on me. Really been such a lightweight, all right. Kids today will never know what Shaw's text me four seventy five three one oh four three.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell shown podcast.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you don't get anymore? Now with mobile phones, the joy of slamming the phone down on somebody, it's not the same now with that they don't know you just tapped that button. There's no big that really showing conaking on somebody, you know. Look in movies now now it's not the same when someone hangs up on that phone. It's there's nowhere near as traumatic. Thank you very much. All these are coming in right now. Christian kids today will never know the challenges of dial up internet. If Mum picked up the phone. You're right, just cut off from that big ass land line. You know, that's when the Internet wasn't coming from satellites, it was coming through an actual line in the ground, a land line land, an actual land line. Now it's invisible satellites above us, and you remember just having to reconnect every four hours and argue at the cost of the phone call, this is costing me a farm. I need to get on. Do you remember how exciting it was the wild days? They used to call it the information super high one D web. It's a world wide web and it was always w W W forward slash slash win.
Speaker 5: Not many forward slashes or backslashes in my life.
Speaker 1: This radio station store kids today, we'll never joy of Gold FM. Christian, you talk about kids not knowing what the mailways is. Well, fire rescue Victoria still relies on using old school heaper melways to root fire calls. WHOA your uber eats has more modern tech than the fire service? Ken? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Not not as like a deliberate choice, but just because they're not funder.
Speaker 1: That can't be r Ken? Is that right? Christian? Kids to there will never know the anguish of having to run in from a commercial break for food, drinks or to go to the toilet, and it's back.
Speaker 8: On jumping over the The only time I ever saw my mum lose it is I accent recorded over that episode of Dallas where you found it?
Speaker 1: Who shot JR? Oh my god? She threatened to drop me off at children's.
Speaker 5: Home and rightly so.
Speaker 1: It was the worst thing you could do. Or was accidentally record over something. You know, you'd be watching your favorite show and suddenly the football would come.
Speaker 4: On, or if you recorded the ads, yes you're smart enough to stop it the pause.
Speaker 1: Yes, you need have incredible eye hand coordination to do that. That was a high level Christian Kids today will never know the anxiety of having to give a photographic film to the local chemist and then waiting for a week for the photos to develop of that wedding you went to only discover half on the crap sim you'd have that red eye or they were blood just out of shots. Yeah, yeah, I get a friend of mine it used to have a Saturday job developing that film and we used to always go out on a Sunday night. He would bring copies of some of the dodgy photos. It was amazing, good times they were in the park slicking at that someone had brought this in taking photos of that mighty probably im moral, but nineteen just so much fun. I missed those days, Rial what CV kids today will never know, the joy off.
Speaker 3: Kids will never know the joy of having to become a small time criminal to listen to music in the two thousands, you would have to go all through like the black market of the Internet, which was like LimeWire or Kazark Napster Napster, yes.
Speaker 5: And you would never know there.
Speaker 3: It was Russian roulette if the file you're downloading is a virus or the actual song you wanted, And it was all highly illegal, like no one. But it was the only way to get music as a teenager in the two thousands, and you'd have to sort of figure.
Speaker 1: Out, you know when Metallica, there are any embarrass writes now were actually trying to get fans of there who just wanted to stream music. Arrested, arrested, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm taking them to court. Yes, that's it for the record companies realize if only they got in there earlier about streaming before Spotify and smarter people realize, wait, just let the kids stream. They just want to stream it. There's so much more money there as well. Alex, what's it for you? Kids today will never know.
Speaker 4: When you're starting a new relationship and you've got to ring the landline and say to the parents, Oh I low, mister Johnson, you get so nervous. Yes, mate, I'll just go and get a horror. I used to kill me. I used to get her nervous to me too.
Speaker 1: And also when you were in the early days of like trying to go out with the girl, you would have to call them in the evening. Yes, I used to. This is really sad. I don't think I've ever said this for I don't think my wife knows. Just I used to write down some notes beforehand of talking points. See that new Wham video. She was so nervous because he used to go real silent, real quick, and nither of you really knew what to do. Yeah, you go uh spand ballet that it doesn't work. It's just like a bad breakfast show. Actually, all right, Keith's coming. These these are brilliant. Thank you very much for seven five three one oh four three. Kids today will never know.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: What would kids today you never know about on Saturday made my day a sorry guy driving and driving and using always old school instant legend status. Christian kids today would never know street lights go on, time to go home, go into a library to use a card file to do research, find a book Andrew yesimal yep. Christian kids today would have another stress of waiting for your song to play on the radio so you could record it in a cassette name going Bersert when someone like you spoke over the intro Darren. Kids today will never understand how games loaded from cassette tapes to plan a computer that the Comedy of sixty four or set Expensium plus. Kids today will never know things of unfortunately rewinding a cassette video of music. Yeah remember you just have to get a pencil to rewind some sometimes or sometimes the cassettes. The tape player in the car would just eat your favorite out just they were just like it would just just decide it would just cheer it up.
Speaker 5: Not this one now, just eat it's a favorite one.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah yeah. Kids today whenever to go cooling around or riding a bike ove at your friend's house, not knowing if they were in so I know, mister Harris is great.
Speaker 3: There go and go to Gray.
Speaker 1: That's strange. Kids, here, I have all my friends and family now my live three sixty yes, same yeah. Yesterday I was driving, my wife was in the car and we were just coming into our street and setting my wife. My wife's phone gives off this like a lot and they go, what the hell is that? She goes, Oh, I set it up. So if you're in the local area and alarm goes, I went, how do you want to say? What was hanging there between? And why does she need it? And a lot? He's coming, just your husband's coming quickly. Just say you're here to sort the gutters out.
Speaker 5: That's why you want that robotic gotta clean.
Speaker 1: Around. Keeps quoting for the same job. Five quotes in a day. Kids today, when the Joy having music on MTV, guess yes, VJs some big stars jimber Carson daily, Oh yeah, quest show he did where all the big stars came on, so that it's massive. I love this one from Keith Christian kids that they would never know about paper train tickets that you had to cure at the ticket office at the station platform. And then he used to be someone on the train that would pushed the ticket in a stamping machine to put a whole on your ticket. Christian, I still use a mail ways and drive a Manu cart World done kids, so they would never know dialing a number and I wouldn't score rotary phone getting through six numbers, then dialing just one wrong number. Hang up, you got to start again, Scottie. That's a great one, Christian kids. Kids, anyone ever appreciate how genuinely scary Scooby do you? Usually?
Speaker 5: Back it was.
Speaker 1: Now you've got sore and hostelies, crizzy things. But back in the day Scooby Doo would scare us kids. Yes, I would have gone away with it. It was always the care to, yes, every seconds. It was a angry caretaker. Them pesky meddling kids. This is an interesting one from Vanessa Christian. We had the best of the supermodels in the eighties and nineties. They worked really hard to get where they had to be without any social media. They bought the catwalks. It was very hard to do that. We had Claudia Schiffer, El mcphish and Linda of Vandalista, Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Vanessa This is incredible because I've looked all of these have been spelt correctly. This would have takes a long time to put that message out. Thank you very much, Christian. Kids today would never know about having to give three rings on the home phone then hanging up to let know that you've got home safely. Kids today wouldn't know what aero program was. I used to go to the post office to buy them every fortnight to send to my granny in Scotland right up until about nineteen ninety nine. Thank you very much for all of these we got. The news is coming up next.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show podcast