Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts. You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: That anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: It's a chemist warehouse and save more money every year on your regular medication with discount of prescriptions in every store every day.
Speaker 1: Right now I'm speaking to a microphone I could do every morning. However, in radio, the one thing you always look out for that keeps you safe and you know you were as your compass is the red light. When the red light is on, the microphone is live. The only thing is that come in this morning and the red microphone light was on red. So I thought, this is a live hot mic be careful. No, it's just permanently on now until after nine o'clock.
Speaker 5: Very disconcernered.
Speaker 1: How she scary? So the engineer I thought the best thing to do was to calm me is to duct tape the red glowing light.
Speaker 5: It's not even fully duct taped over. This is very ominous slither of red light.
Speaker 1: So things are going to go well today. This is a sign of the times we're in right now. It's a four of something I'm not smart enough to know what it is. But there's an actual that we're duck taped to get on air today.
Speaker 5: This show is helding midway through.
Speaker 1: Week six of the National Show. Anyway, Good morning, pats Good morning everyone, Good morning, good morning, good morning, Alex, good morning. So Patsy, you, how was your day yesterday? Your Monday winner or loser?
Speaker 6: Did sit loser? So got a new washing machine just months ago, weeks ago anyway.
Speaker 1: And now the reason why we just need to remind because might be some new listeners. Patsy, uh broke the door?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, pulled the door off it with her bare hair.
Speaker 1: She was actually smashing arrival's head in it.
Speaker 5: The door.
Speaker 1: How your friends doing in Mexico? The cartel that you needed back out there, ol, Patso we drafted it outside when it.
Speaker 6: Came off with my hands, It's ridiculous anyway, So we had to get a new one. So I got the new one. Very happy with the new one. Only I might have put my really thick bath mat in there to wash like where else? How else are you meant to wash a bath mat?
Speaker 1: You've got to wash them.
Speaker 6: Off your feet?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: Anyway, My husband came home yesterday and I said, I think I've messed up the machine because now it won't drain. It's telling me Era seven. It's like, why, why, what's Era seven?
Speaker 1: How have you used this bath mate?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: It's pretty fire, isn't.
Speaker 5: That huge one from Aldis. I've never seen such a bath mate's and.
Speaker 6: I love it, But I mean, how what do you mean to take it out the back and hose it? I donate, So it went in the washing machine and my husband said, you can't shove that in there.
Speaker 1: Now tell me this passage just because I want to know. But did you have a little bit of the clothes as well? So it's like overload and.
Speaker 6: Drum towels and everything, right, And I thought, well, maybe maybe I clean the filter, which with the front loader is at that front little squary bit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So I've got a cheese knife, so I didn't scratch it because it's you know, flat and nice and fat. So I opened it up, and I stupidly unstated.
Speaker 1: Anyone else cash that Pats has a cheese knife. In my mind, I was just going through my cutlery drawer, going, I don't have my cheese.
Speaker 5: I don't want to say anything to seem I've got a.
Speaker 1: Butter dish, but I don't have that cheese knife, not to say, if get cheese knife.
Speaker 6: And I opened it up, and of course stupidly, why did it? I opened it up because there was still water in the drum, So then on the water came out. Then I butted the laundry and then.
Speaker 1: You've got to get the clean towels. It just washes, start using it to dampen it down.
Speaker 6: Such a waste, yes, exactly. So I've booked a service call overnight, so please, I hope they come.
Speaker 1: When you start the week like that, you're just like, that's the that'll be your story of the week.
Speaker 6: But you know, I used to put the old the mate in the old machine, and like two mates at a time.
Speaker 1: I reckon washing machines used to be a lot tougher back in the day.
Speaker 5: It's gone soft wash washing woke machine, no digital numbers.
Speaker 1: It was like that big face just had on and off and it used to weigh like fifty tons. You didn't move, you just left that. You didn't move that thing. It was huge, noisy old thing as well. You have just a shout. It was like a plane taken off. There it goes Alex, are you were Monday when you're a loser your day yesterday?
Speaker 8: I'm a loser as well. My WhatsApp group, parents WhatsApp group, it's getting way out of control. I'm way behind. I'm like one hundred and fifty messages behind and I'll never ever catch up.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: What are we in now?
Speaker 8: End of February, I had like forty years started. I know, I'd like forty eight unread messages on Monday alone.
Speaker 5: It was just insane.
Speaker 1: Were they all chattering on about who's got a pair of spare bell? There's what time is the sky? I do want to make genuinizations, but suddenly a lot of dads are give me put a hit in that silence. I don't deal with the ballet flats. I'm the secondary contact on that emergency contact for.
Speaker 5: This is my husband.
Speaker 6: He can't be trusting.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 8: I just watched it all go by on my phone and like, when's the swimming carnival times? The swimming cannibal that's like two months away. The swimming cannibals there over there. Don't worry about the swimming carnival in two months time. Worry about today or tomorrow okay, come on all.
Speaker 1: Right, let us know are you're a Monday winner or loser. We'll go through ours next.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Come on into Craig first half hourl Tuesday Show. We always ask you how was your Monday? Would you say you're a Monday winner or loser? Christian Monday winner? Ish got my car back from the mechanic having three different issues fixed. Now the tires went over the weekend. Does the Bank of Christian want to help Craig? Is the last week of it? Head to thegold website dot com dot au fingers crossed, Christian, I am going to take a more stories today about why were you in the local paper? Yes, definitely this guy here messaging me at ten pm Yester evening. I was in the local paper at seventeen for being bitten by a pig hunting dog at our local cemetery. There's so much going on here.
Speaker 5: Sorry, go again.
Speaker 1: This is the best job of the world because these are our listeners. Dear Christian, I was in the local paper at age seventeen for being bitten by a pig hunting dog. Already that bit's incredible. A pig hunting dog at the local cemetery. So I'm guessing if you're at the local cemetery, you are the work there or you're in mourning and suddenly there's a rabid pig hunting dog. Are there pigs at the cemetery?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: You pehunting?
Speaker 1: You know what is going on? The same dog tried to attack the police when they went to speak to the No.
Speaker 5: This made the paper bit I'd read that's true on the loose.
Speaker 1: You yes, the setting, the cemetery, the story. So much going on here, a pig hunting dog. I didn't know you you can train dogs? Aren't what they're looking for? Pigs for the wild? Pigs foraging?
Speaker 6: Breadful, isn't Weren't they like a good pig hunting dog?
Speaker 5: Pitbulls?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think? Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think they're so small.
Speaker 5: How could they take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aggressive, honey badger, don't let go. I don't mean the guy from so I just remember what country people go see the being that big guy in Ald guy. He's not been Simon Anita. We all we have so we we've got to get Simone on the show. Let's call Simona. We need more off to seven on that, I would say I'm a Monday loser, Like with you pants on a washing machine. Something happens when you're grown up and then you realize, I've got to do so much research now to find this out. Apparently I didn't realize in the teaser sea of my marriage. It's my job now. If there are mosquitoes around the house, I'm to research how to deter them. So I've tried the coil. That citronella coil isn't doing enough. Yeah, no, these are really persistent pants. So I do all that before we go and sit outside. I light it for an hour. It doesn't do enough. And so I started to go on to Google yesterday. By the way, when you use Google now and you don't feed it into like chatchy bit, it feels quite old fashioned. Oh oh wait, Google, Sorry, you think I'm going to read these twelve articles, why don't you read them for me and then read it back to me or prepare a report. And so I went on there and it was just like it looked like. And it's so hard to know whether the reviews are legitimate today, But I found something called the pesterol dominator okay, which sounds like something by its sexy land. But actually it's apparently some kind of determined to mosquitoes. That's where. Yeah, it's a plug in pass.
Speaker 5: Yes, that sounds like absolute bollocks.
Speaker 1: Now I've got tried before and that really didn't do that much either. So actually what I need is what people have actually used that works. Now, I don't know. Maybe the pestor ole dominator works really well. If it does, and you've got one and you actually used it and it works, please let me know because I've got to do something. We can't sell something, and they always don't. At my wife, they're going for my blood.
Speaker 5: Oh yes they do, like maybe it's your English blood.
Speaker 1: Well my wife has English blood as well. Why they go for my true English Irish Indian blood. They like a hybrid.
Speaker 5: My dad actually introduced a pond into their backyard as a way of getting rid of mosquitoes, but it did backfire.
Speaker 1: So he's I would think that's worth stagged water.
Speaker 5: He's theory is he'd put a mosquito eating fish that would lure.
Speaker 1: The mosquitoes the building. Old man got to leeds and some apocalypse. Now seeing he's gone, Colonel Kurtz.
Speaker 5: They would eat the larvae, but then it actually is just tripling.
Speaker 1: His own ecoss. There's too much ever, just get a machine.
Speaker 5: But now they've attracted a lot of bozzies and it's a real problem for the house.
Speaker 1: Speaking even thinking about it, they don't they breed around stagnant water. So if anyone has got a hot tip for me, please text me O four seventy five O three one O four three. Rio. Are your Monday winter or a loser?
Speaker 5: I'm actually a winner. We moved into a new heir you were.
Speaker 1: There's a light blinking by my head now I'm so close to going home. I just don't to speak that. It's like there's a strobe light above my head and I'm trying to have a stroke.
Speaker 5: No, it's not you. It's still happening. It's very distracting.
Speaker 1: Oh I like this. Wow, we ah, we just about see you in the darkness now radio in the dark. I think it's a bit more intimate. Yeah, I don't know what it's going to look like. The video seats on social media. Then I'm not paying their power bill. Read the financial report this week? You know, Monday win or loser a RN no Monday Winner or looser?
Speaker 5: Rio, I have a Monday winter. We moved into a new house at the end of last year, and we've had a neighbor, an Italian Nona next to us. He's our neighbor and she's just been sizing us up for the past couple of months. A little bit.
Speaker 1: We feed you in a big pot and blend you up for posata, slighting you up. It's like it's about ninety kilos into the salami yest lean beef, mince, yum yum in my non no tummy. How do you think you got the house? Where do you think the other people went? In her big pot?
Speaker 5: Ansl and Gretel sort of situations. Well, I finally I've finally, after two months, I've cracked her because I.
Speaker 1: Beg your pardon one from that's a very different phrase. You've got missus Robinson situation going to there as don't come if anana's rocking, don't come and knocking. That's what I always mummy.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's not quite as exciting as that I brought her bins in because she hadn't good done them for a whole day.
Speaker 1: Well done, that's a good thing. That's a good and neighborly thing to do.
Speaker 5: Thank you, And now yesterday, she knocked on my door, gave me a big hug, a double kiss on the cheek, and three bottles of homemade posada.
Speaker 1: Wheah.
Speaker 5: All the Italians are making posada at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we have that message on Friday. Yes, that guy was saying that he was doing his year's worth of posanta.
Speaker 5: It's the peak week for tomatoes. That's why they're so cheap and so ripe at the moment. So all the Italians are going over to each other's house and making their year's worth of posada.
Speaker 1: This is good. So you've got three bottles of this holy grail kind of panta fresh. Have you tried it yet?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I haven't. I will cook it this week though.
Speaker 1: All right, let me know your Monday win or loser. Also, if you're an electrician and he can come to this radio station. We're at the end times here.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast Now.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago when it was a day before Valentine's on a Friday, and we did a very different thing for the people's playlist. We were taking your love songs for your partners, someone spash in your life and it was lovely reminded me of like how years ago when we grew up listening to radio, where late night radio love songs and dedications were a really, really big thing. And what was nice is that obviously every day doing this job, people are asking for songs. And what was nice about that? So someone was asking for a song that wasn't just for them to somebody else. And so I love the idea of you requesting a song for somebody else, And we're going to call this play it forward. So if there's someone in your life, it might be someone you work with and you want to cheer them up, or they've had some good news, or they're having a tough time, what a lovely thing for them to hear about that You've got a song played for them. Whatever that that song is, So play it forward. What song do you wantus to play for? Who you can call the show now? Thirteen fifty five twenty two particip kadyin, You've got one?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 9: So I want to dedicate a song to a motorcyclist that I saw yesterday, the most polite road rage I have ever seen. So I pull up at the lights on my way home from the gym, and the guy's next to me they're also there, and then something catches my eye and I look across and there's a motorcyclist right next to them, and I hear him say, because all of our windows are down, He goes, hey, mate, I just wanted to let you know, please be mindful of using your side mirrors because you may hit a motorcyclist. So he obviously like ran into the lane that he was in, and the bloke that he was saying it to was a bit like at first, like, oh, well, what's going on here, because you'd obviously done the mat thing, expected bad road rage. But the guy was so lovely and so eventually he was like, oh, okay, I'm sorry mate, and they shook hands.
Speaker 6: And he drove off.
Speaker 1: CA. That's a Sharon story. I love that.
Speaker 9: It was the most beautiful thing. And I just sat there and I thought, guys, we need to be more like that on the road, because you know, we always, and myself included.
Speaker 6: Can be a bit road ragey.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but being reminded that you don't have to, you can just you know, let people gently know, hey, let's just be mindful of each.
Speaker 1: Other on the roads, especially for motorcycles. You're right, those those side mirrors are really important, really important.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and the guy was just really understanding. The most beautiful thing was the shake of the hands man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wrote it genuinely conduct all right, So what's the song? What's play it forward?
Speaker 9: For that?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: So I want to play Aretha Franklin's Respect, all right?
Speaker 1: So this is how play it Forward works? What would you love us to play?
Speaker 5: And for who?
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, Things will make You Go Cool? What small thing drives you mad? This happened yesterday. I was in Willies. It's one of those pinheads who thinks is okay for us also have to listen into their dull conversation. Speaker phone is never on a low volume. No, it's all the way up to eleven. And I read research on this couple of weeks ago where it's more infuriated to hear half a conversation than if it was two people at full volume, because you can't your brain wants to latch onto that and try and fill in the gaps yes or he hear is them yes? Or half the half evation, So you're not hearing the full conversation. You're trying to work out even though, you irritate and I could put my air pods in and listen to a podcast. I can't. I'm suching's their dull vortex.
Speaker 5: You want to eavesdrop, but you can't, so you actually double irritated.
Speaker 1: And you could tell from what they were talking about Trey either had said something up a few beers of the barbecue or he hadn't.
Speaker 5: And what did he say? I need to know.
Speaker 1: I almost wanted to follow this person around, just to put the pieces together, follow them out of the car part did what do you think? Did Trey say that?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: After a couple of beers? This classic ray? That's so trade? But what what is it? Because it's become a recent thing. It's like suddenly we're all just meant to be okay with the fact we're just background extras in this movie.
Speaker 5: No, I couldn't do it self conscious.
Speaker 1: People to have a chat to them, hold it up to your here like it the system, what normal person?
Speaker 6: And nothing I've got to say would be of interest to any other person in this world?
Speaker 5: Do you know what I mean? Radio?
Speaker 1: Why do you think a moment of self awareness?
Speaker 6: My conversations are always did you remember to feed the dog or could you put the wash?
Speaker 1: Where are my glasses?
Speaker 5: Where are my glasses?
Speaker 1: By the way, Pats is very excited. She's modeling you glasses. They they do look really good.
Speaker 5: Love them.
Speaker 1: She's going around to every team member going do you like my glasses? In a way where there's only one answer and it's take to do. It's still like you like my glasses? Thanks? And they are they are really cool. Person, I said, perhaps, where do you get the promish? Got a guy, Ray? Pats has a dealer everything. Everything you do, everything in life, she has a dealer for She's got a glasses guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Ray Man.
Speaker 6: Ray looks after me.
Speaker 5: Can you hook the rest of us up?
Speaker 1: You know? His faith? All right? Small thing, big raised? What is it for you?
Speaker 3: The Christian o'connall Show podcast.
Speaker 1: We began the show with duct tape around this microphone because it's permanently glowing red. Red means the microphone is hot. It's live. But at the moment, even when it's not on, it's on. So they just put rather than mend it. So we'll do that later today if they have lunch or brunch down and do it. It's quiet. We do it when it's quite for us. Actually, we just talking about your glass guy, Ray in new glasses and go into the ambreak my glasses and arm just cheers off it. Sheeres off. So now I've had to get the engineer's duct tape to duct tape an arm on, you know, as that kid was always getting bullied at school and he's always had one arm of his classes. Harry Potter, it's a sad I had to duct take my own glass arm on. I need I need Ray.
Speaker 5: He was or fourth trying to look for the square on the.
Speaker 1: Class and we always keep that quiet, you know, that little truffle pig game we playing. Anyhow, I've had to send a team member out now to a servo to go and get your generic plus two fives. They always look really snazzy as well. You're going to come back with a pair of dame edness for me. I've got a two hours of show to don't work other than that. As we enter week six on the New National Show, it's going very very well. So well, you've got to hook me up with Ray, your class guy. I will do Christian things. Makes me go girl when the plane lands and people stand up straight away.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, No, what coming.
Speaker 1: Myself? No, I can stay sad. But I see one dude get up there. I don't getting up too, buddy.
Speaker 5: I would say, you're allowed to get up as long as you're not moving forward in front of the sea. That's where I hold the line. If you hold on the line, on.
Speaker 1: The line, the doors aren't even open. You can't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: You look silly, and you do because it's actually it's the roof is so small.
Speaker 1: Cranky neck thing, the beep, and then obviously then sometimes you become the guy that's suddenly then bringing out everyone's things in the overhead luggage. You know, see some guy looking at Oh, if you got my briefcass, God, it's yours and finding behind you, Christian. When the little cars park in the trailer parking at Bunnings, So I'm going to take my trailer halfway to Darwin in order to find a double part. There's plenty of single car parks. Please use one of them small cars. There's only four or five Trader park base and it's our job to use those. That is true, Gwen. When you notice Christian that spiders rented the space in the side mirror of your car and now every morning for the next month, you have to remove the bloody cobwebs.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've got one of those. They're so strong, that material cobwebs.
Speaker 8: I know every single and I see people looking at me doing it. And look at that guy getting cobwebs off his mirror.
Speaker 1: Spiders really love that right in that inside mirror, don't they. That's like the sweetest spot.
Speaker 5: And how are you gonna spray You're gonna spray it in there somehow? More team, how do you.
Speaker 1: Get tell you one of the worst things in modern life walking into a spiders? Yeah, walk along, chat to And so I said to cobweb hours. Now you've got to help me out here.
Speaker 5: And if you see that person from across the street, you can They're crazy, Yes.
Speaker 1: You can't. Just style it out and it's like, yeah, sorry, Jerry, what was that? You're like, it's still remnants of them. I'm stuck in my eyebrows. I'll never be free of this spider's web ever, Trapped trapped rial? What's it for for you? Small thing girl?
Speaker 7: My one?
Speaker 5: And I'm looking at someone in the team in particular, who is who does this a lot? But people that send very long voice notes on WhatsApp because you're left hostage. To say, a four or five minute message, you have to listen to You can't just skim through it, you can't read it. And then in order to reply to it, because you haven't got a text of it, you have to go back and listen to it and make notes.
Speaker 1: That's because you've got an old phone there an Android the rest of us.
Speaker 5: It just gives you the message, the transcriptions there you go. No, it takes too much time.
Speaker 1: Because you've got one of those cheap ass green phones. Oh you've got a Poro phone. It's your plain snake. During that thing, you've got to go through those five or six letters. Why is it all? TV is going to go pitch your password in. Oh great, we've got one of these old school Nokia Alex will sit for you.
Speaker 8: Small things, just the words moving or going forward at the end of a sentence. We don't need it, so management speak, isn't it. It's the word I'll give an example. Really want to change things up this year going forward?
Speaker 1: We don't need coaches do it, don't they? Coaches do it in sports?
Speaker 5: Yes, I hear it in sport all the time. Big season ahead, moving forward. You're right, going forward. We want to do this.
Speaker 1: If we want to do that, we can't respect more sports coaches of your teams that go probably going to go backwards this year, that's for sure. It's going to be some moment we're going to start going backwards. And that's when where no samul ship from us that rebuilding. Don't rebuild, don't forward forward, go back and build. We're going to demolish it.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: What is it for you?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Things make you go.
Speaker 3: Grow The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian thing that makes me go gir telling my kids to put slippers or shoes when running the house at least sixty times a day, only for them to ignore me and then cry half an hour when they step on something or stub their toes.
Speaker 5: Total you please, slippers on.
Speaker 1: Chris, Christian. Things make me go mad is when people do forty in a sixty Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Christian? What makes you go go is by the way, walk into a cobweb is like when you get a piece of hair, one single small piece of hair in your mouth that will take a lifetime to get that bastard out. It comes to Michael Strong strong, Michael, But I know what you mean. It is. It's a lifetime. It's a lifetime. Tea tree oil on a cotton bud, wiped around the inside of the side Mirrorsunny car, No more spiders, Oh starts a wee run together car? Lifetime to get this out of me? T tree oil, Patsy. What's the things that make you googur amte?
Speaker 6: Absolutely despise When you've got the car in reverse, pretty obvious that you're a and you'll get a pedestrian that walks directly behind your car.
Speaker 1: Like what is that either on their phone in their head?
Speaker 5: D walkers You're supposed to technically wait for them, No, no, no, but they know, come on.
Speaker 1: Looking around?
Speaker 5: The driver supposed a bit of a looking why don't we why.
Speaker 1: Don't we both? Why don't we co exist together in this world? Some looking around and it's normally people of your generation, and I actually think, you know, let's then the herd.
Speaker 6: Out have a bit of self awareness. You can be sticking halfway out of park and they it's like, well, I'm sorry, I didn't know you had the right of way. You're right halfway out the park. You watch out for them.
Speaker 1: That's the one that draws you where they know you're moving and they're still just carry a walking.
Speaker 6: Still walk directly behind the currents. So dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it is just because people people are so not aware of what's going around them. The other one party peoples the same doing that. The sort of day walkers are the ones that'll be walking down the pavement and they just stop behind you. You know, before you stop, you know, you just maybe slow down, you merge over to the side and then let go. Let you just be a night of the pavement, That's what I am.
Speaker 5: Or people that walk like two or three are breast in the pavement, so you can't get part of the no I do.
Speaker 1: Well, then you've got to walk into the roads. Yes, we go over a car just to get past you, guys, because you're dawdling.
Speaker 5: If you're going to do that, you have to set a fierce pace. Wise you're just ring one behind.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Yesterday we had so many great stories about why were you in your local paper. We're rolling it over till today A part two text me oh four seventy five O three one oh four three. Some of our favorite calls from yesterday. Why were you in your local paper?
Speaker 7: My brother and sister, myself are in the photo with my twenty four year old cat with a birthday.
Speaker 1: I was in the local.
Speaker 2: Newspaper a couple of years back a pas drive into my house. I was the two thousand baby born in Paine Hospital.
Speaker 10: I was in the local paper when I was two years old in nineteen eighty seven to being the youngest writer at the Melbourn Show.
Speaker 1: A couple of things on that they're counting babies. There's a counter. There's a baby counter in hospital. Does I know obviously got records another but they have like a totalizer. I know everything in this country is a game. It's competitive, but there's baby counting going on. Simon was in his local paper when the American astronaut Charlie Duke came to their school. We were slightly laid into the special Assembly Jim the special assemblies at school. We got taken out to the front of the school to a photo with him. He'd walked on the moon. He's even mentioned in the movie Apollo thirteen. Charlie Juke's got measles. He never went on that mission because he got measles. His kids got measles from a children's party, which meant he couldn't go on that mission oh my, because one of the the astronauts didn't have immunity, so he had to stay behind. But then he went years later. I think space fans correct me if I'm wrong. Apollo sixteen or seventeen, Charlie, you got to go up there and land on the moon. Christian made the local paper about home in Tazzi Princess Diana. I gave Princess Diana a bunch of flowers and a little koala for baby Prince William on their first royal tour to Australia, and then a couple of weeks later I got a letter from Princess Diana written by her lady in waiting. So I ended up back in the local paper the second time to deal with that Dinah thing holding the letter. Wow, Nathan, mt'st be quite newsweek in that local newspaper. When I was fifteen, I caught a fish by hand, made it into local. That's quite a fate though, Yeah, I mean, but come on, yeah, exactly what's he doing? Ringing up flaxing? I'm trying to get ladies? Yeah, got fish in my hand, got shark? Just what one handed? All right? I was standing out for talking around right now page boss boy catches shark one handed. Tim. I got into the local rag on my way after finishing my English exam early. Oh, local genius egghead smashes test early. That's the headline, isn't it, Christian? This is some simone. We're trying to get hold of someone. We have so many questions. This was waiting for us to start the show. I was in a local paper at the age of saying seventeen being bitten by a pig hunting dog at our local cemetery. Wis your story just tomorrow's show? Cemetery stories? All right? What the hell's going on with the pig hunting dog? And you're at the local cemetery, Christian, the same dog trying to attack the police when they went to speak to the owner. Finn I was about seven years old and got into local newspaper for putting my arm in one of those clown machines that they have at all the festivals where we have to put the ball in the mouth. So did he get it stuck or you just completed it? Final boss level. In my mind, this kid's got wedged.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 6: The fire brigade.
Speaker 1: Years ago being at London's busiest train station, London Waterloo, right, and there was a scene around some poor guy. There was one of these vending machines and you know that, trying to get the cans out of the chips out of them, and it was one of those that was quite low down. This guy had got his arms stuck there and so he'd obviously been there fast. So he's lying on the floor with his arm stuck in this machine. The police are there chatting to him and I obviously, you know what, you want to know what's going on. So you starts saying to people outside how long has he been? He's been here apparently apparently he's been there an hour. And then I moved forward. I said to last why don't you just break the machine? They went, it's illegal, sir, it's private property. It's illegal to break one of those vending machines. Had they were waiting for the fibergate to turn out with an axe to cut him out. But the fiber gate they've got a specials to smatch him out with an axe. Of course, everyone's filming this poor dude, just give us a businessman in like a shirt and tie fie there with his arm.
Speaker 5: I wish I could help you then against the law, all right?
Speaker 1: Why were you in the local paper thirteen fifty five twenty two? And what a pig hunting dog? And ever caught a fish one handed?
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for joining us as a Christian O'Connell show. Haven been in your local paper? I'm finding these stories the best Listen. Matthew was in the Herald's son editorial for questioning God's existence. I could be that today. It's all the tide is against us today. On the show, Christian, my wife won a wedding package had a photo in the local paper. That's great. I love the story from Connie Christian. I was in the paper when John Farnham came to visit me in hospital. I was in the school choir but it was in a car accident day before and couldn't attend. He came to visit me and sat in my hospital bed and we had a photo taken for the local paper. Connie, what a gorgeous story, Christian. I was a local paper when I was sixteen, I'd written to local council really angry at the state of the paintwork on the obelisk. It's not going on for sixteen year old lad. Isn't it an icon in the tourism area here. My letter made it to the front page. The obelisk got painted shortly afterwards. I love that Michelle concerned young residents and this is an epic one. Christian I was in the local paper riding a tandem bike with people of a certain age. Will understand what a big moment this was for a young kid. With bill Odie from the Goodies. Christian I was dressed as Timbrook Taylor from the Goodies. We rode around fed Square in Melbourne. Phil said to me, please don't crash, young man. We had some really bad ones.
Speaker 6: A few years ago.
Speaker 1: What did he means was he kids can't ride a tag though with one of the legendary Goodies that is. That's one of my favorite ones so far. Christians on the front mage Nose to nose, lying on the ground with a local Greens counselor and a turtle. We had built a turtle island in the Blue Mountains. I would really have explain this if you could go no to nose with the green counselor and the turtle. Get down there, guys, really really lean in. Ah, these are fantastic. Let's get an MJ. Now, morning MJ, Good morning gang.
Speaker 7: How are you doing.
Speaker 1: We're good, welcome to show, MJ. And why are you in your local paper?
Speaker 7: Well, it was obviously a much more innocent time. I don't think you'd get away with it nowadays, but there's a picture of us in the local paper. We'll have our backs anyway, lined up at the urinal with the Premier John Kaine at the time, and.
Speaker 1: Anyone else nervous at this called Prince Andrew was visiting and sorry that just form known as Prince.
Speaker 7: No stage fright, But it was yeah, the opening of a toilet block at the primary school and we all lined up there and christened it.
Speaker 1: This is incredible, This isn't This is a new front runner for the best one, m J. The local toilet block got opened, that gets in little paper. That's it and it needs a photo op as well. The Premier, right, it's got busy stuff to do. This is incredib all scenes and you're right at different time. That's a scandal now, Pat like that. That's someone that's someone resigning by the end.
Speaker 5: Of the day, George, Michael.
Speaker 3: M J.
Speaker 1: Great story. Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 7: No worries day.
Speaker 1: Is George a man no longer? He offend himself? Those LA police officers and traps for George. Don't you dare say that great man's name in vain. Janelle, Good morning, Janelle.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 10: How are you, Christian?
Speaker 1: I'm good Janelle. Welcome to the show as well. Now, Janelle, what's your story about? Make it into your local paper.
Speaker 2: Well, I was in the Sydney Morning Ferald because I was the first person to breakdown in the Sydney Harbor Tunnel ten minutes after it opened.
Speaker 1: What claim to fame.
Speaker 10: My husband and I were in the car and we ran out of fuel, run out of petrol. He driven through a petrol station in my lovely old Kingslet and we had our dog Arrow in the back seat, and Arrow was the first dog to go through, first paying customer at about three fifteen in the morning of the Sydney Harbor tunneled back in August in ninety two.
Speaker 1: This is incredible. So it's two first first person break down and first dog to go through as well. That's it.
Speaker 2: And it was funny because it was in column mate. And when we got towed out, it was the tow truck's birth the tow trucky's birthday that day, and he was over the moon and we got towed to waterloo. So in the paper it just said that we got bowed to the loo to be a bribe.
Speaker 1: What scenes.
Speaker 2: I will say it was one of the highlights of my life because it was like a party. This is before children at about three ten in the morning on the north side heading down into the tunnel, and I was in about the first twenty people, and it got around that it was going to open. So it was kind of an exciting thing back when you're twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: An incredible story and it's immortalized forever in the local newspaper.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've even got it on video, which I discovered.
Speaker 1: Did you make it onto the news?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, we were videoing it. We had the video camera with us, and I'd forgotten about this tape and I had a transferred.
Speaker 10: And here's my husband feeling about who should have put the petrol? I were fitting up there and I remember going, it's not in parks.
Speaker 2: Should I put it in.
Speaker 1: And this is all you two bickering is all caught on camera on tape.
Speaker 2: My husband was filming. I think he thought it was hilarious that I was having this bit of a free cat.
Speaker 1: Also, those those home sort of camcorders weused back in when you I think you said in the nineties ninety two that would have been a big a big camera as well.
Speaker 2: Ah, it wasn't too there, but yes they were petite, that's for sure, not like without your mobile phone these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, brilliant story, Tonel.
Speaker 2: That's my story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a great story. I'm going to send you two hundred and fifty dollars suspend at Chemist Warehouse. Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing. Oh wow, thank you very much and thanks welcome. Thanks forgiving the show ago in Sydney as well. You know what we should talk to me on the show about things that you've still got on video cassette. Oh yeah, like that, I know obviously something you know everyone that our video because we got married in nineteen ninety eight, so we were given the video of it and then we transferred to the DVD and now it's a thumb drive and all that. But some people still have video cassettes with things that are still recording on there. I bet those old TV shows that people have still got on video cassettes that they don't want to. We still my wife still has a video the video, actual video cassette of when she did bungee jumping in nineteen ninety seven. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yes, how many times you guys have been watching that one?
Speaker 1: At too many times?
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian was on page three of the local newspaper because I married someone with the same surname. There's a headline in breeding. No, not at all. What are the odds?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: What are the odds? Everyone in the wedding party also had the same surname, of course, except for two in both ours adds unnamed Joe gin fact. A lot of the phrase gin fat by the way I think you, I think you mean good fact, but gin fact is great for us, like one. After a couple of gins, she started coming up with the facts. We got maded on the same day as Simon O'Donnell, the cricketer who appeared on the same page, but a much smaller black and white photo than our massive color pick and Colleena sent me the evidence. She just send me a screenshot it. He's got didny tiny photo. Yours is huge because someone's married someone with the same hold the front page, Christian. We were in our local newspaper for being average after the census. We're putting the paper under the heading just your average Joe's come. That's so cruel. We were a married couple of forties with a mortgage, two kids, and a golden Retriever. All my husband's mate started calling him average Joe. No tomorrow on the show, how do you get that nickname? Average? Jokes? He's reborn? Is he in his forties? Do you think you're too old to get a nickname? No?
Speaker 5: Average show, There's actually nothing special about you at all.
Speaker 1: You are bang on. Fact is a news story. How average your averageness is of newsworthy consequence? Christian. I was in the local paper introducing me as a directory grim.
Speaker 5: Oh you'll get to know this. Buy some of you oldies, don't you worry?
Speaker 1: Christian. The cast of Neighbors came to the local library. I worked in the eighties, so that was on the front page, and there was all this pushing and screaming from girls going why would they do like a I think at the local life someone doing a research problem and something. There's a photo shoot with the cast of neighbors screaming fans and I love this one from Brook Campbell Christian. My dad made it into local paper. But because he got the last hole in one of the Millennium at Ballona golf Course December nineteen ninety nine. There was so much fear and interest about the countdown to the millennium and the Millennium bug, when things were going to drop out the skies and there was just so much fear about the water. Do you remembers to call the Y two K bar? Yeah, all that fear now. Ten minutes ago we were chatting to a lady and she was talking about how she was one of the first people to drive in the tunnel under Sydney Harbor and she broke down. But they were filming this trip because it was the opening of the tunnel. And also thinking about the things that you still own on video cassette, whether or not you've even got a VCR or a VHS recorder, you still got videotapes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my parents still have a VCR player at their home, which I'm not sure if they use. But they've got a big chest of VCRs of old videos and I was going through it when I was back home. They got their own home Blockbuster, Yes literally the last one.
Speaker 1: You usually want to buy these things, right, People possible used to have their own TV shows they recorded or whatever inside fake leather covers to make it look like they had a row of encyclopedias. And they just have like an illegal copy of Rambo like leather and bossed Encyclopedia Britannicas.
Speaker 5: Oh you're so well rung.
Speaker 1: Oh my, what a learned man. Let me just get short circuited out Steve Gunberg's new one.
Speaker 5: And I used to be obsessed with cricket. I was a complete cricket uf as a kid, and I used to tape entire days of Test match.
Speaker 1: What forward winded to get to the interesting bits.
Speaker 5: We still have the whole nineteen ninety nine India Versus Australia series with all the old ads, all the old commentary.
Speaker 1: I bet it's quite Have you ever played it back in the last couple of years? No, I should, I should. We got to get some of that audio. Yeah, commentary was so different then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very different. If you stopped it for the ads. Did you forget to stop it for the ads?
Speaker 1: I would love to hear the adverts. Yes, Patsy, what have you got you tropp me someone? You must have some video cassettes, a whole cupboard for first news bulletins.
Speaker 6: No, not first news bulletins. But I have got I used to do in a previous life.
Speaker 1: I was a.
Speaker 6: Scottish Highland dancer and I have every.
Speaker 1: Single my dad a really successful one. You want a lot of title.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was state champion, middleweight champion at one, double champ and my.
Speaker 6: Dad has every single competition that I danced. It from a about the age of I don't know, eleven or twelve right up to eighteen.
Speaker 1: Did he have the video comany?
Speaker 6: We had the video?
Speaker 1: They were they were rare. It was nothing that everybody had.
Speaker 5: It was very big, bulky, like a tank on his shoulder.
Speaker 6: He'd be standing there behind the charge in he be and we look back on it, and you know, my teacher would go through it and what I was doing wrong, what I could do better? And I've still got it, still got it?
Speaker 1: And can you hear your dad's voice on it? Because sometimes you ever heard yourself back on those videos you recorded. You said, oh my god, what is that breathy voice? Good? I've got ones like sports days like who the hell? Wait that's me? Who could listen to that guy the good? And then say.
Speaker 5: That wheezy.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: What have you still got on video cassettes? This really is going down memory lane? Christian. Thirty years ago, my nan and popped at me to a as a baby too movie world on the Gold Coast when Pop recorded a green screen video of himself flying through the sky dressed as Superman. What a legend. It was set to the main Superman theme and there's a moment where he looks a waves directly to me off camera. The theme chods the theme song just now brings a wave of emotion. Nostalgia makes me call Pop every single time. What a great memory story. I love that. Good Morning, Christiana's Carmen. Here I have on video tape of me and a friend on Hey Hey, it's Saturday. It's hidden away because it's so embarrassed and my kids have never even seen it. I'm leaving it in my will. They can play it at the funeral wake. Until then, you're not saying that what happened on that, Carmen, Well, we know what happened on some of the a very different time. Any who, Christian, we are rather the police actually want that video, because Christian, we still for My husband appeared on The Early Bird Show in the many eighties. He's on VHS. He was competing in the remote control car competition and came second. He cracked it on national TV. On our second date, he sat me down and made me watch the footage counting the lapse he made with his remote control car, trying to prove to me he was the rightful winner. We still have to watch the footage every now and then. He sit, says, shaking his head, still very upset at the injustice. Was a third date after that, Oh my god, that's great. We must talk about strange dates this week on the show, because that's an incredible second date. And what can you not move on from Early Bird Show? Imagine that seeing yourself just young you cracking it on TV. It's TV show. And also just that the remote control car competition. Note to show producers, let's bring that back this year the f one. We get a hold of tickets. Christian, I've got the final race of the amazing nineteen eighty three America's Cup race on VHS. Classic core memory of being woken up in the middle of the night by my dad cheering as we got ahead on the final turn and stit started that final tacking race. That comes from Tinya Kristiana, I've got five video.
Speaker 5: I thought it was me.
Speaker 6: That's a really old school ring as ye, it's to the boss.
Speaker 1: She'm trying to call me all year.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian, it's Brad, Hello, Brad, It's bb guys, It's Brad. Bishop the Bishop, so are logged on, Christian, I have grainy footage of Sarah ferguson Easy and Prince the Musician not the Formal Royal in the bowels of Sydney Airport, trying to evade paparazzi. Why were they together or just arrived at the same time, Christian, I still have Shiny and Scott wedding from Babies on VHS. I reckon there's a few of those around the country. Action around on that comes from ozark Oh good Man. Christian have the Sydney Olympics opening and closing ceremonies. Queen Mary of Dunmark's wedding and the last two times Essendon won a Grand Final Brackets depressing Christian listened to the show. Maybe go and look in that draw where all the video cassettes are to see the random things who've still got in there that haven't actually parted with time for today's time Waster Boomer Movies Generational Week This week on the Time Waster Gold class group passed for you and three mates. Of course, you know what the old boomer winners are Love Withering Heights. That was a Da Vinci code of their day, bron tea that you're ruined this now. Baby Boomers are generally defined as people born between nineteen forty six and nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 5: Target audience looking at me, I was looking at you.
Speaker 6: No, I am not a boomer.
Speaker 1: That was the first soldier to hit the spunker of it took him out one punch.
Speaker 6: Wrong decade.
Speaker 1: Sorry it was before that, weren't you, great bull War. Baby Boomers make up twenty five percent of Australia's population but hold over fifty percent of the nation's well water. Yeah yeah, all right, so boomer movies. We all love The great Jeha Butler movie Olympus has fallen. Sadly, I did. Olympus has fallen and can't get up silver many star at Oats keeps them, gives them regular in the morning. One for Patsy Hot Flash Dance.
Speaker 5: Yeah that is gold Ria.
Speaker 1: What have you got boomer movies?
Speaker 5: Look who's talking to the manager now?
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's a gold plus one for you.
Speaker 5: Christian burn after reading.
Speaker 1: Glasses actually got dumb tape on them holding together. I've actually just put my appointment during the news to spectators at three o'clock today an emergency session. What else you've got their boomer movies?
Speaker 5: When Harry met Siri, I love using Siri.
Speaker 1: Hey Siri, Wow, it's not a bad stand up Hackey comics. Actually, I just know Tina just looked to the floor. You went to look at producer Tina. Never look into his eyes when he's dying like that, flapping around. Spirit of Jack Posters came back too soon, hash tag too.
Speaker 5: Soon and end strong. Now we need to talk about Karen. We need to talk about Kevin. We need to talk about Karen. Karen's that's actually really good.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: Bron The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast.
Speaker 1: It's the Christian O'Connell's show all the way. If you want to know who would call me, it's actually was actually Specsavors. I did seriously book my appointment to go back there. I've got a horrible female checked my name when they realize old man's coming in because I was in there about months ago for sitting on a pair of glasses and breaking them. I'm now back with another pair of broken classes. I might see my wife. Can just go in there? I can't. I can't go back, can't face them, can't face them. All right, we're looking for your Boomer movies. Sit down the time Waster Irene by the way, the texting and very funny one about a series and unfortunate can't read out. Don't people getting confused that we're rewarding jokes about casual racism. But it's very very very very clever. That is a gold plus. The rest of you are going, what that bloody hell? Are you not? Then? All right? Boomer movies? Did they put a man on the moon?
Speaker 3: Gold?
Speaker 1: I am sam as in a talk about radio. Very clever, Cash is King Kong, Silver Cassette Blanca got today? That's very good. What I'm Ross, Peter Bedpan Silver, not Jerry Maguire. Jerry needs to retire.
Speaker 5: That's very clever.
Speaker 1: Gold Apricot, Chicken.
Speaker 5: Run Love, Moms and dads love.
Speaker 1: An Aprico and Danny with an eye Christian. My dad is driving, but he's asked me to send this to you. Ten things I hate about bite lanes. I hate a bike lane. What's every other show and talk back about the new bike lanes? Viva Volvo not Venetta. You still got yours? You just said it still rip off one kettle after another, not one battle after one kettle after another. Silver plat showing word and a few good menopause Silver listen. Impossible, It's not Michigan impossible. What did he say? Go Worlder Michael Rodwell, cloudy with a chance of mumbling Silver back in my day, the Jackal, that's what I don't care. A caravan named Otto Silver Mitchell, that's very good, Mad Max Feary, the bloody Roadworks Council, Sir Donald Darko, I don't know Magic Mike twelve seven eight a gold, I'm Paula and Jaco unchained gold as well. All right, then, who is the winner today?
Speaker 5: They were all brilliant, but Michael would listen.
Speaker 1: Impossible, Yeah, brilliant on Michael rod Well, word on your Today's winning You and three mates off to goldcast on us. Thank you very much. We're back tomorrow. We had to move on. We just did it in the last half an hour show. There's still lots of amazing stories about what you still own on video cassette. You can still text USh four seventy five three one oh four three. Thank you very much. Sure your stories great stuff today. We're back tomorrow. Take care.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell show go On podcast