Speaker 1: Flex and Rooms Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Rooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the party Flex and Rooms on CATA. Any updates for us. I went to the gym on the weekend. So what I'm doing now is I do my upper body alone. I do my lower body with my pet. Stuff is crazy everyone, you know, how like when you live in your own existence, you assume that like you just know everything there is to know about living. Like you'll say things like there's no one new to hang out with in Sydney, or like there's no good food around here, and it's like, yeah, but you've just been doing the same thing again and again in the game. Before I went to the gym, I just didn't have like any comprehension of like the commitment it takes to be a strong person in that capacity. Like I look at these people and I'm like, do your friends know that you can lift that heavy?
Speaker 2: Do they know? Are they aware of your strength?
Speaker 1: Do people know how hard it is for me to get up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Literally, I'm just like I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like we're aware, or like when I see people who have really intense hobbies and everyone's like, oh, my god, why do you spend so much time doing that? Do you not know the feeling of being committed to something for your own enjoyment. You're not familiar with what that feels like. Get into it. Get into it. I want to say, get a hobby in a way that it doesn't sound derogatory.
Speaker 1: It sounds derogatory, and it's making me nervous because I just never liked that concept. You're with flexing frooms. Let's go.
Speaker 2: You're listening to flex and forms on kata.
Speaker 3: If there was ever a reason to reduce the amount of stress you have in your life, let this be one at the top of your list.
Speaker 2: I was scrolling through TikTok the.
Speaker 3: Other day and like, I'm quite stingy with the videos I choose to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm able to scroll scirl scirrel squirrels girl.
Speaker 3: And the format of this one, it was a friend kind of like interviewing his other friend by holding the camera right up to his face. Already, I was like, this is too in joky for me. But on my other phone, I got a text. I kind of let it play in the background, and it was this guy who was like into so let's say the guy, uh, I'm gonna call amnesia, and friend so amnesia. He's saying that he doesn't remember anything, so he doesn't know his parents' names, and that he was saying that when he woke up in the hospital, the only reason why he knew his own names that he was reading it off his wristband, and that when the nurses were quizzing him and he didn't want to admit that he had amnesia, they were asking, like, what's your name, what's your day to birth? He was reading off his wristband, and so the comment thought he was joking there. Everyone's like, you have amnesia. You're like twenty one, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like what happened? Did you get in the car crash?
Speaker 3: And the documenter, the TikTok creator, was like, oh, you know what, I'm going to make a video talking about it. So basically, this guy got stress related amnesia within a day. He was with his friend, just hanging out like usual, and the next day he couldn't remember anything. And the only reason why he remembers his friend said his friend was there with him when he woke up and he was like, oh, yeah, I know you doesn't remember anything else. And I was like what happened to you, like what went on? And he's like, I don't know what happened to me. So his friend's like, I know what happened to you in the last six months months of your life. Your best friend died, your other best friend, your girlfriend of three and a half years broke up with you. You're in a traumatic car crash, you're failing your school, and you're union your studies, and that's really stressing you out, and all of it's kind of converging it once and it's like you've been really stressed out. And so when he explained this to his friend, the doctor's like, yeah, like that can happen quite a bit, like you can your brain, And I don't know the mathematical, scientifical way this works out, Like your brain will like almost like create this like protective layer around itself or around the core bits it needs to function, and it will wipe everything else that serves to like keep you in this really defective state. And what really scares me about that is how how so many of us are really flippant about experiencing stress, and how it's just a thing that has come up and go and to the point where we've normalized how excessively stressed we are. You know, like everyone's friend has been burnt out before, everyone's friends like stress related anxiety, stress related depression, stress, lad whatever. And it's like, okay, cool, that fine, but what is the solution? Because if we start losing our memories left, right and center because we couldn't deal with stress when it was present, what happens next? This guy's listening to his favorite song for the first time, being like, oh, yeah, I think I do kind of means truly. Yeah, He's like, this is like kind of sick. But it's like, okay, cool. The fun things are fun, right. You get to listen to your first song, your favorite song for the first time. You get to experience like the taste of your favorite food for the first time.
Speaker 2: A boy those core memories.
Speaker 3: He knows nothing about his family, nothing about his other best friends that he wasn't with, nothing about what he's been studying at school for the last bajillion years, nothing about his ex nothing about himself, and has to rebuild his whole persona in his early twenties, like it's not a fun thing to do, and I can imagine to be really freeing and Thank goodness, he has this friend that like has been handholding him through it because he if.
Speaker 2: You felt lonely before, you don't feel lonely now.
Speaker 1: So this is really a piece about stress, folks, and how do we aliviate stress.
Speaker 2: We brief.
Speaker 1: Pun muscles. One of the first things you do when you're having a panic attack. They say breathing and breathe out, and breathing and breathe out until you can breathe in.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy. When I had my first panic attack, I don't know if I told you this story. This first panic attack I've got, which resulted in me breaking up with my partner at the time and going to therapy, was like crazy. I was like, my life is like falling apart. Was having this panic attack right, couldn't breathe. The room was closing in my eyes and losing my vision. I'm like, I'm gonna die. I'm going to die.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna die. My partner at the time was like, just breathe, and I was like, just breathe. I can't breathe, And it was.
Speaker 3: So crazy because I didn't realize it was like actually good advice before, but I'm like in that moment, I was like, death becomes me, Like death becomes me because you want me to breathe. I can't even see vision at the moment, Like in my head it's like scrambled.
Speaker 2: It's like binary code.
Speaker 3: It's like la la la la la la la. It was insane like that the red emoji that's a mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never had a panel.
Speaker 2: Honestly.
Speaker 3: I felt like what I was feeling was like the like the sensation of being in a room that's flooding. Like I could feel it overcome me. I was like, oh my goodness, I need to get out of my brain.
Speaker 1: See what is this when people like I was just gonna say, I've never had a panic attack like that, Like any kind of like panic that I've had has been in response to a situation. It hasn't just like come over me.
Speaker 2: But this came. It was in responsible a situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I felt like the room closing in and like I felt like my breath gets shallow, my chest get tight, my vision was getting blurry. It was like the most like entrapped feeling I've ever felt. And I was like, you could just get these frequently.
Speaker 2: This is not my normal.
Speaker 3: I've gone so far out of my day to day reality. You've taken me to the pits of hell. I cannot be here like you brought me here. You need to leave my life, thank you, Like this is not how I was operating before you and church my life.
Speaker 2: Please get away.
Speaker 1: That's horrible.
Speaker 2: But what I will say is that.
Speaker 3: Like the human brain very resilient. It is the things that does on a day to day to keep just let's just shit moving. The fact that you can breathe without like being mindful of it, blink without being mindful of it, talk and eat at the same time, listen and look.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna get into etiquette, finish your.
Speaker 2: Finish, yeah, you should do that.
Speaker 3: But it does all this stuff, and it stores your subconscious mind, stores everything you've ever seen, smell, tasted, experienced, heard all of that also while giving you space and time to learn new things and process new things.
Speaker 2: And it needs to keep doing that.
Speaker 3: It can't really just be stopping every time you have a bit of a crisis. And for that reason, we're not allowing ourselves to acknowledge when things just aren't like quite correct. And it's like I don't think that we realize things like stress have like a cumulative negative effect. It compounds, right, like the way that you could deal with stress when you eight it's not the way that you can deal with it. Now, one might assume you can deal with it better or far worse because you just like riddle yourself with all these unnecessary things. And then also, like when we talk about churama broadly, a lot of us aren't processing it right. And it's you know, there's one thing to have, that trauma that you know you're experiencing, like I went through a hard thing, but then there's all this like you know, traumatic music, traumatic media like true crime, like putting yourself an uncomfortable situation, Like all of these things just compound me like it's fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Is it fine?
Speaker 1: So I don't watch True crime? Don't make me say it the third time. I keep having this scary vision of actually I want to do Yeah, I'll tell you all fair, okay, but repressed memories exist. Fam for going through it, I apologize.
Speaker 3: And if you want some tips on how to deal with your hidden stress, you should listen to doctor Gabor Marte g A b O R Space m ate. His whole vocation is about the dangers of hidden stress and how it is a gendered conversation as well. Women I'm to experience the negative impacts of hidden stress than men, aren't.
Speaker 1: That's why women are concipated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these things, autommunities, whatever, But basically he talks about the fact that the number one antidote to hidden stress is knowing yourself. And that's the fundamental reason why people struggle so much with it, because a lot of how we exist in the world is through suppression and repression, Like you don't want to acknowledge how you feel, acknowledge what you think, acknowledge that you're hurting you knowledge, acknowledging when something is off. And then when all that stuff compound, you create this ecosystem where there's no there's no normal. Here's this book called the Myth of Normal or the Dangers of Normal. Anyway, babes, get in sweat, save your life, stop yourself from getting amnesia.
Speaker 1: Kabor Marte, Gabor Marte, doctor Gabor Marte. When the body says no, the cost of hidden stress. I'm gonna listen to that on the way home.
Speaker 3: Get into it, kit flex and frooms, flex and frooms flex.
Speaker 1: Please put your hand on your heart, which one right hand across the body?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have you ever hand on heart? Pretended to be at a party make someone jealous?
Speaker 2: No, I don't even know how I would do that.
Speaker 3: I pretended to have more fun at a party than I was and documented that fun to make someone jealous.
Speaker 2: Of course, who wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I'm not going any and then you leave ten minutes after we get the content, of course, but not faked being at a whole entire party.
Speaker 2: How do you even do that?
Speaker 1: You go on Google Images and you find a picture of people partying, and you shake your phone a little bit. No, but there's actually go on TikTok who is very good at it. He's gonna tell us a story.
Speaker 4: As many of you guys know, when I was younger, I faked being at parties on my Snapchat story. One of the nights I pretended to be at a party, people started swiping up asking if they could come. At the time, I thought the best idea would be to pretend the cops came to bust the parties so nobody would want to come. So the party started off well. I was drinking out of my solocup Okay, drinking makes you silly, so it makes sense why I was acting like this. The next video I'm about to show you is when the party took a turn for the work. Did I get caught? Let's find out. Hops came and I can't find my shoes. I was pretending to run away in this. If you can't tell, that's not all because I thought faking these parties made me look cooler, so I kept on doing it weekend after weekend. So just let me know if you want to.
Speaker 1: See those, let me know with high in the commons.
Speaker 2: Is this person very young? I don't understand.
Speaker 1: He sounds a bit young, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Have you seen the visual? No, tell us what you know about him.
Speaker 1: I'm not actually anything. I didn't watch the video. I had a busy weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing for the fast time with all of you.
Speaker 1: I really am so. I just saw the headliner, thought that's a bit of me. I fully endorsed pretending that you're at parties and keeping your social clout on point. I think it's important to have an active social life. And if that's just like in a fantasy land, then go off.
Speaker 3: Remindine this travel blogger Amelia something who came under fire a couple of years ago for photoshopping her travel destination. So I think she went to the taj Mahal when it was under construction, like refurbishing or whatever, and she like photos shopped it so it was pristine and like people were like, wait, this is not accurate, and she just never said anything about it. But now she's in a different niche so but there's something about that. It ties into the strike sound effect for me, where in that instance, the best thing she could have done was say nothing at all, because then those who didn't know she was photoshopping didn't know she was photoshopping, and had she'd apologized for it, take, it would have put all her content into question. I don't know, scam freely, Okay, you need to go ahead. Flex And a couple months ago, I want to say about six, the term quite quitting really really just shook up the Internet and everyone who has a job in like semi corporate environments. What we found is that people were getting to a breaking point, experiencing mass burnout and figuring out that a solution was required, one that didn't involve quitting their job completely, but definitely involved putting in less effort or not overachieving anymore. So there's people who would again early, stay late, use their personal networks all for this job. They had to stop. And so that's what quiet quitting is. This idea that you'll no longer go above and beyond for your job. You'll act your wage as they say, and you won't give more than what's required from you. Then we discovered bare minimum Mondays, which is an antidote to the Sunday scary. Is this idea that on Sundays we tend to want to get prepared for the work week by doing work, thus not getting a full weekend and then getting to Monday anyway and being stressed because like Monday suck. Now the conversation has evolved into will every day can be an opportunity to do less at work? Considering that we're all overworked? I mean, I want to say we're all, but some of you need to do better, you need to work harder, But for the most part, there is an opportunity for us to do less every single day of the week. So according to Business Insider, we have some options for you. We've got to try less Tuesday. Okay, This is the idea that you don't want to weigh yourself out. You're just at the start of the week, right, So that PowerPoint your boss asks for you'll get to it eventually. The email from your client, it'll be waiting for tomorrow. Instead, focus on what needs happened tonight, which is just having fuel to get through the week, right, which I think is fine if you are in a position where like you're needed. I feel like it's a weird thing to phrase, but most people are expendable at their job, which sucks because you, I mean, you want to be at a position where you're like, everybody needs me here, but it's like, no, if you quick tomorrow, if you died, you'd be replaced. And that's some scary news. We also have work not Wednesday, you know, work anywhere by the office, seckless Fridays.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? I don't know, But then they say there's full around Friday. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I feel like those of us who have like poisoned ourselves into having a work ethic that impacts us negatively, we've got to take accountability for that because I know all of us have put ourselves in positions where we've given too much and created a standard that we can't keep, and now we have to like backtrack a little bit, backtrack a little bit. My issue with these broad statements is that you're encouraging your favorite bludger to also do the same thing, and they weren't even doing that much to begin with.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, we need to we need to order it literally. You know what I'm confused about. Why have they left out Thursday? Because I think Thursday is the ideal day to do nothing. What do you want your boss is fatigued, I'm run through Thursday? Yeah, because that brain is ran through. You've been listening to the flexen Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.