Speaker 1: When did I lose this permission to do nothing and really have these moments to myself of joy. Finally, welcome back to the Rise and Conquer podcast. The podcast for my girl going who want to take control of their lives, gained the confidence to live unapologetically, and for those who are ready for more. If you're ready to rise up and conquer your dream, career, most aligned health, a positive mindset, and basically everything in between, then you're in.
Speaker 2: The right place. In today's solo.
Speaker 1: Pep talk, I am chatting about giving yourself permission to do nothing, my experience with this, I've got a bit of a story for you, and then also what I've kind of found that has been I guess, the consequence or you know, the thing that's come out of creating stillness.
Speaker 2: So let's back it.
Speaker 1: Up a little bit and explain a little bit of why I'm you even talking about this.
Speaker 2: So in a.
Speaker 1: Couple of episodes ago, I spoke to you about my recent diagnosis with Hashi motos, which is a autoimmune thyroid condition. The condition basically means I have a whole host of symptoms and they can sort of be triggered by another whole host of things. It's it was super confusing for me to find out what this condition was because they're symptoms like you know, hormonea balance, fatigue, irregular period, acne, and these are all things I've been getting for a very long time. And then I finally got the right test done and I've found this out.
Speaker 2: So I have been I'm on thyroid medication.
Speaker 1: And also I go way into I go into what I'm doing with this condition in my other episode, so I will link that in the show notes if you're interested, I won't, you know, repeat the whole thing. But basically, I did get recommended or I am. I am taking medication from my GP. And then I've also been seeing my natural path who has got me on you know, some different herbs and supplements, and she recommended me to see an acupunturist. Wow. And if you guys are kind of been here from the start, you would know I'm a big fan of acupuncture. I used to get it religious a couple of years ago when I lived in Brisbane. I had an amazing accupuncturist. I'll shout her out. It's called Greenstone Acupuncture and Brisbane and I saw Anna and she was the first time I ever did acupuncture, and it's when I was dealing with hormone issues and in regular periods in adult acne, and she completely.
Speaker 2: Helped me.
Speaker 1: So basically, if you guys don't know what acupunctuated acupuncture is, sorry, it is where you get those little tiny needles put into you.
Speaker 2: It is a Chinese traditional.
Speaker 1: Practice and basically it's all about mine body connection. So basically it's this medicine of fine needles and they insert it in the skin at specific points which are considered to be lines of energy, so you can use it for a whole range of physical and mental conditions. And what it does is it improves the body's functions and promotes the natural self healing process by stimulating you know, these energies and points. And so, like I said, I've seen an acupuncturist previously for my skin and hormones and I found it really helped. And so myntch path is like, I know a really good one at the Gold Coast, Go see her, and I had my first session a couple of weeks ago, and so I will be doing that, which is really great. But I was chatting to her about you know, my Hashimotos and my.
Speaker 2: Condition, and.
Speaker 1: I'm told, like I've told you guys this and I kind of know this, but she's like, I think you know, the Hoshimoto's flare up is a huge sign of how stressed you are and how exhausted, Like you know your dreamals are because you know, you clearly have a stressful job and you're constantly on and that is so like you guys know this about me. I love my work. I love to work. I love to put one hundred percent of effort into things, and I also like doing a lot of things at once. So as you guys know, I'm so multi passionate. I have this podcast where it's all about interviewing, you know, people I find interesting and who I think I might be helpful for you guys, and then chatting about really these bits of health, then finance and feeling empowered to go after what you want and not keeping yourself small. And obviously you could tell by these podcasts I'm just so passionate about that. And then I also, you know, have my other business, Naked Harvest Supplements, which I'm so passionate about in regards to being in the fitness and health industry and producing natural supplements that actually taste good. And I have a wide variety of things I like to do, and I'm wearing lots of hats and all that sort of thing, and so of course I know this I and even though I love what I do and I love to work, I am definitely realizing that it's a lot for my body and it's a lot to like, you know, go and go and go. And I will often find myself if I have the option of having the day off and you know, having some time to myself or working more on a project I enjoy, I always.
Speaker 2: Pick the working more.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Long story short, My acupunctress was like, you need to be inserting more nothingness time and more you time. And I'm like, yeah, I do that, you know, I do that every Sunday, me and Tim go for a beach coffee and blah blah blah. And she's like, look, that's great, but you need to be inserting an hour every single day because you're like it's not enough and your body is just not really coping with it. And so she kind of explained it in the way of like, you know, imagine if you didn't exercise all week and then on a Sunday, you did like a four hour workout and you're like, you know, that's that's all I'm doing this week. And she said the exact same with including stillness and nothingness is it's going to be a lot more better for me and my nervous system and my body if I include one hour per day. And she's like, you know, I can tell you someone who likes you know, structure and routines and you know, homework, so this is homework. You have to be doing nothing for one hour per day. And she explained to me, like this is stuff like you can't have your phone, you can't be with someone unless it's like really.
Speaker 2: Sort of filling your cup up.
Speaker 1: It's got to be like you know, meditation, eating lunch outside. She even said stuff like watching a TV show as long as you're not on your phone and you're being completely present. But like doing hobby stuff like she was explaining she loves to do pottery, and it's an hour of time where you know, her team can't contact her and she can't you know, use her phone because it's.
Speaker 2: Full of clay.
Speaker 1: And she said, it's just so important for us to take this time for ourselves and really be present and you know, be still. And you know, as she's saying it, I'm like, yeah, yeah, okay, you know, thinking, I'm like I kind of do this, you know, I meditate and I journal. But she really kind of pressed the point of it being not productive in the way of you know, like about business or you know, bettering yourself, but really just like a time for stillness and nothing. And she explained it in the way of when we're working and when we're doing a hard gym session, and when we're you know, going, going, going and doing and doing doing, we're in this state of fight or flight, which I'm sure you guys know about this concept. So you're telling your body you're stimulated, you're going, you've got you know, quartersol going. And so she said, what you need is at least an hour. She said, I could split it up like half an hour in the morning, half an hour in the afternoon if it was too hard to do a whole hour where I'm really getting into you know this, I think it's called rest and digest.
Speaker 2: So it's the opposite switching.
Speaker 1: From the flight flight or flight and getting into this rest and digest and you know, telling my nervous system, it's okay, we can relax and doing.
Speaker 2: This every single day.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, yup, easy. And it's funny because like the first couple of days after that appointment, I really struggled. I like, I even like, you know, one afternoon, I had a plan to you know, I left it. In the afternoon. I had planned to go a beach walk by myself with my air pods and I was gonna turn my phone on silent and you know, just listen to.
Speaker 2: A podcast or music. And then something happened.
Speaker 1: With work and I couldn't do it, and I was like to Tim, I was like, wow, I didn't realize how much time I don't put aside for myself and how much time I don't have for myself. And so after the first couple of days of kind of missing this and not really getting to it, I was like, no, I need to take this seriously and I need to actually like you know, inject this time and see it as you know, a business meeting the same sort of value as a business meeting i'd have with you know, Cooper or mel or someone like that. And so I started injecting this time, I'm not gonna lie. I started with just half an hour, but I have been like sort of revving it up to the hour point. And I've been doing stuff like going for a beach walk with flight mode on.
Speaker 2: I have been eating.
Speaker 1: Lunch outside with the dogs with my phone inside and flight mode. I've been doing yoga, like going to a yoga class. I've been going for a walk with a girlfriend. She said, just be careful when you do stuff with other people, because sometimes even though you know you're sitting there and walking, if the person is putting like a lot of not so much like bad energy, but let's just say you know your friend has an issue and she's putting a lot of kind of like she's knitting energy from you, and you're having to give her time and energy to sort out this problem or something like that. So she said, just be very careful anything when you're giving out energy and you're not just kind of like sitting still and letting it come to you, you don't want to be doing.
Speaker 2: So I've been doing that.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because the other day I watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love, and in the movie, she's it's in her first place where she's in Italy and she's getting the lecture from a local Italian person who they call it and I'm gonna butcher this, but it's la dolchea nitcha. Yeah, I can't say, but basically, it's this word in Italian that means the sweetness of doing nothing. And so, you know, this Italian man was explaining, you know, Americans, they work their arses off during the week, and then because they're so exhausted from the week, they spend their weekends in their pjs, you know, watching TV. And he really was pushing this fact of you know, you need to be able to do nothing, can be in the moment and be present. And I was like thinking of my life, and I was like, oh, this may hit home a little a little bit, because I do do that, Like I fit so much my week and I get so much done with work, and then when it comes to like meantime, I often just want to do nothing and like veg out on the couch. And of course, you know, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I was like, when did I lose this thing? When did I lose this permission to do nothing and really have these moments to myself of joy. And so, like I said, I have been really putting this in place. I've been being serious about this, Like I have calendar time locked out.
Speaker 2: I tell people not to contact me.
Speaker 1: I need an hour, and I've been doing it for an hour each day, and this crazy, amazing thing has happened. And this is what you know, this whole podcast is about, is I've realized by taking this time out for myself, it's obviously going to be amazing for my health and my hashimotos. But also what I've realized is, for example, if I take an hour out at lunchtime, I ually have this period in the afternoon where I have complete brain fog and I get like a little bit unproductive just because I've been going hard all day.
Speaker 2: But what I've been finding is, you know, I take.
Speaker 1: This hour out and I'm away from my phone and I'm away from the hustle and bustle and whatnot, and it's like making me super creative. And I'm finding I'm having some really good ideas. I'm having some really good like light bulb moments. I've just got like a download. Literally this morning, when I went from my beach walk for a really good business idea within my business that just sounds amazing to do, and I think that will be so helpful for you guys. And I'm also just feeling the sense of like peace and happiness. And I know that probably sounds like so like oh typical, but it just it really feels good. And it's like when did I forget to take you know, us, Like if you guys think about an hour per day, that it's not a huge amount of time, and at the start, I couldn't even do that amount of time.
Speaker 2: And so it's kind of like remember back in the.
Speaker 1: Day when they're like, you know, half an hour, an hour per day is only percentage amount of time, you know, just do your workout, and it was all kind of you know, pushing you to work out. And it's kind of like the same concept of just having time for yourself. And I couldn't agree more. This episode is brought to you by Naked Harvest Supplements, the natural supplement company I co founded with my brother. This company was really brought to life because I have been using supplements for such a long time since the start of my fitness journey. But what I really struggled to find was all natural supplements without the crap, that were tailored to women's health and that actually tasted good. And that's how Naked Harvest Supplements was born. Our hero products are a natural pre workout and our.
Speaker 2: Vegan Thrive Protein.
Speaker 1: Our natural pre workout is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and is a natural energy boost without the crash. This is your go to to enhance your workout and to get you in the mood to conquer your day. My favorite flavor is sweet Strawberry, which literally tastes like strawberry clouds, Oh my God. And tropical iced Tea, which tastes like that lipped and iced tea drink. It is so refreshing. Our Thrive plant protein is also vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and it is so smooth for a vegan protein. I know our NH gang loves cooking with it or using it in the post workout smoothie, and so do I. My favorite flavor for the Thrive is definitely our newest pancake batter flavor. It is the real deal and tastes exactly like the name. If you want to enhance your performance and optimize your day, try Naked Harvest. Now. I've also got a special code for my Rise and Conquer podcast listeners. Just type in Rise and Conquer Podcasts out check out to receive a sneaky discount that is Rise and Conquer Podcasts, and the end is spelt out. It is not the simple. I'll also pop the links in the show notes if you want to check that out. But let's get back into the episode. So I just wanted to come on here and challenge you guys. If you're currently in a state where you're not feeling yourself, maybe your health isn't one hundred percent, you're feeling super anxious, or even if you're feeling if you're someone like me, where you're just feeling like you don't have enough time for these things, like you don't have enough energy or time for anything, start injecting these periods of time, like literally start with thirty minutes when you're not on your phone, when you're not serving other people, when you're not being productive. And you know, like I said, it could be as simple as like playing with your dogs or getting outside putting your feet in the earth, And it's so simple, but it's like completely blowing my mind right now, I can't actually wait to see I have my next like acupunture appointment and tell her because it just has it just it feels so good and I'm feeling so much more creative. And I guess it's also really helping me because I was actually my structured brain was like, what is happening? And I was I was researching kind of the scientific way, the scientific background of it.
Speaker 2: And what happens when you have.
Speaker 1: This space and stillness is you're going from the right side of your brain, which is actually let me check if it's the right or left before I tell you guys, Okay, yeap, no, I've got it right. So the left side of your brain is very analytical and like structural, it loves routines, and it's very masculine energy. And I am definitely someone who is dominated with my left brain one hundred and ten percent. We all know this. And so what I'm finding is what actually happens is when you are in stillness and you have this space and time to yourself, you actually start activating your right side of your brain. And your right side of your brain is creative and artistic and flowy, and it's definitely more your fem energy. And so I'm finding this really sort of amazing transition of going from you know, my left brain to my right brain. And it has been so helpful from getting out into this like masculine doing feeling like I have no time. And it's the funniest thing happens is when I actually take an hour out of my day and to get into the right side of my brain and this stillness and this fem feeling, I'm actually realizing that I do have enough time, and I'm realizing my priorities and I'm realizing what's important. And I've got like these really good examples of just what has happened recently. And for instance, the other Friday I was seeing I had planned to see my best friend who recently had her baby, and her baby's so cute guys, and I had seen her before and she was like, Oh, I'm going to come to the coast and see you and we can have lunch.
Speaker 2: And go to the beach.
Speaker 1: And I was like, cool, come Friday, you know, I'll have everything done. And I kind of forgot about telling her this, and then it came to Friday and I had some stuff to get done and I was feeling really stressed, and so I got like all my major priorities done in the morning, but I still had some kind of just like more ad mini stuff to do. But I really wanted to get it done before the weekend because I wouldn't have time to catch.
Speaker 2: Up on the weekend. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I was going to bail and just go, oh, look, you know, I don't have enough time, blah blah blah. But then I just thought, Georgia, like your emails are going to be there when you, you know, get back to your computer on Monday or whatever. Like you've done the most important things. You don't need to be like on top of things all the time because these tasks like they just keep coming back, there's more of them. Like, just take some time to yourself, It's okay. And so I didn't bail. I had this time with my best friend and it completely filled up my car and just made me feel so good. And it was only about, you know, three hours, but I thought, you know, I'm someone who can create my own schedule, like what am I doing with my priorities?
Speaker 2: And it was like I needed to do that, and.
Speaker 1: Also like I have a great example this this weekend that just has gone On Sunday, I did beach coffee was Tim, which was great, and then I saw some girlfriends and we just went to the beach and we turned and we had a laugh and had some assiables and that was amazing. But I still kind of felt like I hadn't had my mean time because I'm a bit of an introvert and I was giving out a lot of energy and so I, you know, like they were all going to have some ava drinks and watch the UFC fight and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And so I decided to go home and Tim still.
Speaker 1: Wasn't home, and I had a shower, I cleaned up the house, I got a bit sort of for the next day, and then I just there and I read my book and I looked out the window.
Speaker 2: And I know you're probably thinking this is like the most boring thing, but it.
Speaker 1: Felt so good, and I hadn't done anything like that because usually, if you know, I've got home on a Sunday and I've got a spare hour or two, I'm like prepping for the next week and I'm doing some meal prep, I'm writing my to do lists, and to just have that time where you know, I still saw friends, I still did, you know, get ready. I didn't really get ready for the week, but I kind of just like cleaned up my room and made myself a bit sortid. But then still having that hour where I just did nothing, and you know, previous to me would have been like, oh, that's so unproductive, like i'd I'll just get some stuff done, and it just felt so goddamn good. So anyway, guys, I just had to share, and I've been calling it, like to Tim and my family, I'm like, it's the hour of power, the hour of me, and I'm really committing to this process because I am very committed to this health journey of you know, helping my hoshimotos and helping my autoimmune condition. But I strongly believe that like life doesn't happen to me, it happens for me. So I'm like, you know, on this journey, I'm supposed to be learning things like this and growing as a human. So anyway, long story short, I've been taking an hour out for just me.
Speaker 2: It has been so amazing.
Speaker 1: I wanted to tell you guys about it and really challenge you if you're feeling the same and needing something like that to do it. But yeah, I'm going to wrap up this episode. It was just a little quickie, a little update. I hope you enjoyed it. Like always, guys, if you enjoyed this episode, please screenshot it, tag me and the Rise and Conquer podcasts on your stories. We love sharing those and then it also really helps us out because it shares it to your friends and family and get some to listen to the pod. But thank you so much, guys. I will catch you in my next episode.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: For now, there's no maybe there's only type of food dreams. I hear the call and I cause my nay sis say, I don't even know Okay, by fine, the