Speaker 1: Get a Peter helly you here, Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet in the Movie Podcast, where our chat to a movie lover, a better classic or beloved the movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest from Artie Donna, comedian, actor, broadcaster creator Zachary Ruwayne.
Speaker 2: Do you really think you have a chance against us?
Speaker 1: Mister cowboy?
Speaker 3: Open the pod bay doors. Hell, I'll have what she's.
Speaker 1: Happen happening right?
Speaker 3: Do anything nothing here?
Speaker 1: Zachary Rwayne is one third of the on stage component of the comedy juggernaut Auntie Donna, who have been tearing it up both on stage and online, where their viral videos have, if not broken the Internet, then at least cause significant ligament damage. They're always room for Christmas put sketch when particularly bonkers, amassing millions of views around the world. It has even been immortalized into a genuinely beautifully realized Christmas book with illustrations by a friend of comedy artists, James Fosdyke. It's both hilarious and, like I said, rather be guidlingly beautiful. Arnie Donna have their own podcast, their own Netflix show. Arnie Donna's big old house of fun, and I'm pretty sure they'll have their own fragrance out very soon. Zach also shows old movies at the Lido Cinemas in Melbourne, just for shits and giggles. Cerly, he did jingle all the way. That's right, that Arnie classic. Zach is insanely talented, fun, hilarious, quite tall, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today. Hi.
Speaker 3: My name is Zachary Rwayane. My three favorite films are mulhulland Drive.
Speaker 4: Well, now here's a man who wants to get right down to it.
Speaker 3: Chef. Is this boring to you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well I love it. Zoolander, good jack.
Speaker 1: You know a che anymore?
Speaker 2: You could hurt yourself out there.
Speaker 3: But up until this morning, I had never seen break a morand I understand unil.
Speaker 1: Mister Morant is something of a poet. Major that's right. He wrote for a paper called The Bullet.
Speaker 6: In vander Be.
Speaker 3: A tennison of the transfer, the byron of the bush.
Speaker 1: Doc Carmon is.
Speaker 7: Why is it he's referred to as breaker Morant.
Speaker 6: Ladies man, perhaps a breaker of hearts. No, it was a Horse Breaker.
Speaker 1: I understand the best in Mustray.
Speaker 8: Adam quite a Renaissance figure.
Speaker 1: I dare say, if everything goes well, he could come and recite for us one night. Yes, up until George Miller rolled out Fury Road Bruce Beresford nineteen eighty Court Marshall Ball War film Breaker Morant was my favorite Australian film of all time, definitely my favorite Boar War film. The Bore War was a grubby, violent, nasty affair that took place in late nineteenth century South Africa. Australians fought far from home under the banner of the British Empire. It is here where we find three Ossie soldiers Harry Breaker Morant, Edward Woodward Roguish, Peter Hancock, Brian Brown and young George Winton. Lewis Fitzgerald, in his feature film debut, part of a crack group labeled the Bushvelt Carboneers, given the mission the combat the Commando Bores. They then caught Marshall for the execution of said Boar War Prisoners of war rhymes when Moran's commanding officer and grow in law, Captain Hunt Terry Donovan is murdered, the Breaker is given orders by Captain Taylor John waters On behalf of Lord Kitchener or Sorry Believes. What follows is an examination of how we view the job of soldiers when we put them in these insane situations, the murkiness of war, the trickiness of wartime legacy breaking. Moramp is not afraid to pose difficult questions. The first Ossie film to win the Palm d'Or at the carn Film Festival, as well as Best Supporting Actor for Jack Thompson playing Major J. F. Thomas, the Aussie lawyer, brought in under the belief he would be overwhelmed. Obviously Dennis Denudo was unavailable. He also won ten A fives, becoming the first film to get into all digit dubs. It's one of the great courtroom dramas of all time. Zachary Rwan are you here under orders?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's a great That's a great way to throw what a heavy film. I was like, Yeah, this will be fun, this will be fun. I'm still you know, I'm still newish to comedy and I've only ever really done sketch, so the ability to jump from funny to talking about war crime is not one I'm great and jumping around on. So we're going to see how much of an emotional rollercoas to this podcast is make.
Speaker 1: Through this episode with that can cancel because it is. It's a tricky it's a tricky film. And thank you you are you are currently in post production on the new Uni Donner comedy series, which we're very excited about. So thank you for being here making the time. Oh not at all, thank you hopefully you you know. So I'm basically putting that out there, so if you do say something outrageous, it's under the guys, you're tired. You're beating the other of sweet.
Speaker 3: I'm a tied boy, tired boy.
Speaker 1: But yes, you had you are a film nuffy. Yeah, and you gave me a bunch of films that you haven't seen. Some people are almost where it is a badge of honor that there's almost no films that they haven't seen. Yeah, but I always always I watch a lot of films, and there's so many films I still haven't seen.
Speaker 3: It it's a never ending list, you know, you keep I remember I did a thing maybe four years ago where I was like, I'm just gonna just gonna watch them all, you know, all the ones on the list exactly what this podcast I think I'm guessing was the reason you did it. That was where it started. Yeah, and I just thought I'll just do it. And I think I did about fifty films and I really knocked off a few. Yeah, but there's still just outrageous films.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any bloody making them. Mate.
Speaker 3: Oh and then people keep doing that like I made an effort, Like I said, the last few years, I've been trying to catch up. And then people are like, have you seen this new film? And I'm like, come on, I'm at the eighties. I haven't watched the Goonies yet, you're asking me to watch The Green Night. Come on.
Speaker 1: He should have a very different conversation that we're about to have. But let's we'll come back to Break of Morn because it is. I have this weird kind of connection with it in a way because I started doing community radio after school. I went traveling for a bit, came back to community radio and did it with one of the lovely spokes i've ever met, Tom Mulliner, whose father Rod is in this film. He plays the prosecutor in this film, with a very impressive stash. I got to know Rod like he was a lovely guy and very generous with his time. Met the producer Matt Carroll and many years ago. So I've already seen the film and loved it, but I was able to kind of fanboy a little bit out on it with them. Let's talk about your three favorite films, and you have gone with David Lynch. One of my favorite day movies Malholan Drive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that film so much. It's probably more indicative as so much as I make comedy, it's more indicative of the sort of stuff I love generally. I love that kind of stuff, you know. But that was the first film I think I'd ever seen that was really properly like cooked, you know what I mean. Like, I think up until that point, I'd only really watch pretty normal movies, and then I watched that film. When I was too young to watch that film. I'm watching it with my parents and they fast forward through the room.
Speaker 1: There are some boobs.
Speaker 3: There are some boobs. Yeah, And I remember just like getting it. I think I was like twelve thirteen, and I was just like, I love this film, and my dad hated it, and he was like, just what he doesn't make any sense? I remember having this massive argument with my dad, who works at a power station, just being like Dad, it's abstract and I I just loved it. I love that idea that you don't have to go a certain with a film. So it's always stuck with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny that because I've always really tried to get push my parents into watching interesting films, and it's what we order. Anyone who particularly ends up getting into the arts, you know, you look back and you got to go, yeah, I did that. My nephew is you know, also interested in the arts and filmmaking and TV making and and he, like a lot of people this year, loved the movie Everything everywhere or oh yeah, extraordinary film. Highly encourage you to go see it, but it's out there, like it's out there. He went over to my mum and dads and they said, I want to sit down and watch a movie with you, and he put it on and they just did not They had no idea.
Speaker 3: Amazing, they were looking at what they look at.
Speaker 1: I love that he did it, you know, full full credit. But you gotta know your audience sometimes and sometimes you just can't get people across.
Speaker 3: Those kinds of lines and there's no there's no point. I think that's what you realize when you get a little older. You go, I like, it doesn't mean my dad has to like it, do you know what I mean? And I don't have to make them watch it. And if anything, it's going to be a terrible experience for me, it's going to be a terrible experience for them. I remember I watched Lost in Translation with my parents, who got it from the video shop when it came out, and that movie doesn't have a lot of talking. There's a lot of sort of like pregnant pauses and like beautiful silences, and they would talk. They would have a conversation every time, and I'd be like, tell them to be quiet, they're not saying anything. I'm like, I don't think it's that kind of movie.
Speaker 1: My mom would often get up to do like the Washington stuff some mining. No it's not. I mean, I mean, my mom'll being a bit of an asshole here. But I was saying, do the ironing, and I'm not saying I'll do the ironing later. You can do the ironing at another time.
Speaker 3: We got to find out what is this relationship? No, don't go back, you're not meant to hear what they're whispering.
Speaker 1: Was that your entry point in the David Lynch was that lot of thirst? I think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It's a first David Lynch movie I saw, but it was the first one I kind of really loved, you know, I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that definitely was because I watched Twin Peaks on VHS after it. I remember I rented it out and it was this really strange like they tried to put all of season one onto two videotapes, and in order to do that, they didn't put the pilot there. So the pilot was just a previously on Twin Peaks, which is the best episode. I'll think. I just got a previously on Twin Peaks and then I watched it in one sitting back back in the mid two thousands. But yeah, no, that was the first time I ever watched it was the first thing I think I'd ever seen that was that yeah kind of vibe, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That impact your comedy choices after that, do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because that's the thing about David Lynch. A lot of people see how weird he is, and they see how kind of out there he is. But I think and I think the three things I don't seen David Lynchall that doesn't get talked about much is one, he's a great horror director, like their sequences. There's one in mulhulland Drive where he goes where they have it, there's a witch behind the diner, and it's one of the greatest horror sequences. It's so full on. The Other thing is how tragic he is. I think he tells really beautiful, tragic stories. And then thirdly, I think is how funny is I think most of what he does is meant to be funny, and I think he thinks a lot of what he does is funny, and I find it really funny. And then I think a lot of people are like, oh, that's weird, and it's like, no, yeah, but it's funny. So I definitely am always trying to get that stuff into everything I do, and then to varying degrees, because sometimes it's just like Zach, that is just weird, like there's nothing funny about that.
Speaker 1: I just have this image of Zach and David Lynch watching mulhulland Drive with your parents and then you two is cracking up and your parents is not getting it. I still don't understand this, but I'm everything everywhere all once. Please talk about Chef. So is the Bradley Cooper or just no, this is John.
Speaker 3: Favro, John Favreaux over, Yes, yeah, John Favreaux, John Leguizamo, Yeah, no, I love This is my comfort movie. Yes, this is my It's and I think that's the thing when you do comedy. Comedy used to be my comfort thing, you know. It used to be that i'd watch a sitcomra i'd watch stand up. But now because I do it, I'm always analyzing it. The kind of thing I watch for comfort is either really boring YouTube videos or like a type of drama that's so easy it's like comedy. And that's where Chef falls into perfectly. Like it's just like there's some tension for the first twenty minutes and then it's just the rest of the movie is him working his stuff out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Really it's really fun and the food looks amazing. Yeah, this is a nice little you know, is this this thing happening now? It's probably able to have longer than I realized. But where because we've got all these shows, people watch where there's all these food shows where foodies will watch all this travel shows where you know, people love the travel watch. And now I think shows are getting really good incorporating those things. You know, if it's about food, make the food look.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're in a I'm watching White Lotus at the moment of the second series, yeah, and you know that. I mean, it just makes you want to go to Sicily outside of all the other weird stuff that's going on in that show. But it's just like, yeah, you are making Sisily look beautiful. And John Favre does a great job with this, making this kind of this food look amazing.
Speaker 3: It's the best movie to watch if you're ever on an international flight, if that's the way your brain goes, because it just is like, remember there is good food at the flight as you're eating your little international flight food. I don't know, maybe it's like a sort of a Sado Massacrest thing to be watching it, but I love watching it on planes for exactly that reason.
Speaker 1: And I love that John Fevrc kind of made this between like making basically Marvel movies, was like he was the little little gift to himself and this passion project that he had.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard the thing that, like the story is about. There's this sort of layer with that film. I don't know if it's ever been said or if I've just decided this, but that film is about the making of the film. Have you ever heard this kind of thing? Because the whole the whole thing is him being thought he's a chef at a really big restaurant and he's being forced to do things a certain way. He doesn't want to do it that way, and then the critics attack him personally, and then in the end he goes, you know what, I'm just gonna go to my friend Robert Downey Jr. I'm going to get a food truck from him. I'm going to do what I want on a low budget and it will make me feel happy again. And when you look at his career, he'd just done Iron Man two, which clearly had been forced to do it a certain way. Critics tore it apart, and then he was like, you know what, I'm going to go to my friend Robert Downey Junior. I'm going to make chef. The movie is about it make the making of itself.
Speaker 1: I think in a lot of ways that is that's really cool. It's Scully Your Hands and doesn't Hoffman so Megara, Yeah, Oliver Platt. It's an incredible film.
Speaker 3: It's also Sophia Vigara and Scarlet your Hands and have both been in relationships with Jean Favreaux, who wrote and directed the film, which I think is very funny, just writing and director film, just someone sitting him down and being like, do you think maybe Scarlett your hands in? And Sophia Vigara fighting over you as a little.
Speaker 1: It's you do wonder there's that conversation ever happened? I have no idea. I'm not across his his marital status, but even even the wife, it's going. Listen, what about Patricia Heaton from great film Zoolander? Yeah, great film, it's one of the great comedies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just funny. It's really funny, and I think, like I feel like it important as a comedian. Sometimes when you do comedy, you forget to put comedy in your references, when you do podcasts like this, because you're like, oh, actually I like serious films that well, clearly I like comedy as well, and I just I love this film. I love how unapologetically stupid it is. I think sometimes people try to get too clever with comedy, and this is one of the best examples of just it's stupid from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Well, we I think silliness is an underrated quality and one donna Is become brilliant proponents of silliness and Zoolander is it's and it becomes when when you just embraced silliness, it's it's joyous as well. Yeah, well, because there is a part of you, there's parks, parks, certain parts of your brain over the side, and it's like a little holiday exactly. Yeah, we're not, you know, but even though you're still get emotionally involved with the characters like that, all the story beats are still there. I mean that you know that I'm a man exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a great, well structured film. I think it's like an hour and a half. It's so tight and it's just joke joke, Joe. It's so easy to watch. It doesn't ask anything of you other than to laugh. I love that film so much.
Speaker 1: It's one of the first films where I saw Will Ferrell and oh this guy is amazing.
Speaker 3: There's a bit, there's a really famous bit in that film where he goes, you know where Will Farrell presents like the model of the school to him, and then Zeeland is like, what is this the Center France? And he throws it away, and a lot of people say, what is this the center France? Is their favorite line? And then it needs to be at least three times bigger they say that's their favorite line. My favorite line in the entire film is Will Farrell's line immediately after it where he's just like, he's absolutely right, It's just amazing. It's just a perfect life.
Speaker 1: David Bowie's in that film. You know, Billy Zay, you know David Bowie.
Speaker 3: David Bowie seems like the coolest guy in the world.
Speaker 1: Like have you seen that video of him not predicting the Internet?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I love that. I love that video and it's so right on, like it's so perfect, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure he actually says Twitter and YouTube and that's the whole thing. Just a longer clip. You may not have seen it. No, yeah, he does the whole thing. My great three films arrange of experiences there, Melholan, Josh Chef and Zoolander. But let's talk about the film. We are here to talk about it. We are shifting gears. Let's go to nineteen eighty, Like I said, The Palm dr Winner, directed by Bruce Beresford and starring a wealth of Ozzie talent from Jack Thompson, John Waters, Brian Brown, Charles bud Tingwell, Terrence Donovan, Olf, Bloody Stewart. O you before I ask you if you enjoyed the film, that's the next question, but I will ask you, did you Have you ever seen Elf Stewart out of Home?
Speaker 3: Some of them no, no, So it was so strange. I think the only time I've ever the only experience I have of Elf Stewart is I was a neighbor's kid, right, so I didn't really watch much Home and Away. So it's a little bit of home and Away. And then a few weeks ago I was in an UBER and they were doing an interview on Kyle and Jackie Oh, the Uber players Kyle, and he was on Kyle and the Jackie Oh, and I think he was struggling with the pace of commercial radio. And then to see him in this like real fancy movie, I was like, my goodness, and he was young and hungry and like oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and he was like, you know, he was. He was like, you know, I don't mean a patronizing, a proper fucking actor like it was in all those movies and you know those you know, late seventies movies and before before he arrived in Home and Away to get the role of a lifetime. Really the role that for an actor to play over that many years is amazing. But he was, Yeah, he was doing the hard yard. And it's funny. The first logos Rove and I went to it might be rove second logos is my first one. All we wanted to do was find him and take a photo, and we took a photo of him telling us off. Oh great, like naughty kids yelling at us, and it's one of my favorite photos of all time. Great man, But did you did you enjoy break them around?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I loved it. I thought it was fantastic. I yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say this right off the top, that this podcast is about people who have just seen a movie, Like literally, you have seen this hours.
Speaker 3: Ago, hours ago, So this.
Speaker 1: There's always a time to process. He had. Josh Lawson did the Last Picture Show recently, and I think, to be honest, he felt differently about the movie at the end of that episode than he perhaps did at the start of it, because you very rarely this might love about this podcast. We watch a film these days and then have an intensive conversation about Yeah, he's eating around horridors and you know, over a beer maybe you know, maybe weeks or months later, who knows. So you were jumping right in to a movie that is there's a lot to discuss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very complex film, and I think that's there was this moment early on where I thought, is this just going to be played at one level? Is this going to be sort of a reflection I guess not even of its time, but of the time it's set in. And then you just start to see these layers and it gets more and more complex, and it just it reminded me of how just complex characters can be, and how there's just very little. There's not good, good guys bad guys in this film by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a really murky, dark film, and I loved that for it. I thought it was so much more complex than I was expecting it to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is based on a true story, so they do these are real characters and it's based in the Second Boer War, and so they do have a guide to go in break him around. Has become a really controversial figure because like we'd like to do with Ned Kelly being the most famous, and we like to kind of glamorize, and particularly if it's if it's one of us versus the English or one of us, you know, like and but it's a really murky issue. And more recently we have had this thing in Australia with you know, soldiers from Afghanistan and facing trial for things they've done during where it's like this is this is this is almost very still very relevant. How do we judge the actions of soldiers we send? And these were like you got Hancock, the Hancock character who is basically running from poverty, like he's not even how much training he would to receive would have been reasonly minimal. He's not a career soldier. He's been putting this insane situation. Now they could and the first time I've watched it, when I was a teenager, I was all pro, completely pro the Aussies and like pro you know, like I didn't see I didn't see the nuance yeah, yeah, yeah, but they actually know they are actually executing people, you know, like and and court, you know, prisoners of war that happens to on the other side of us. We kind of we have a dim view of that. But when there was is it's all so it's and and that's not even to kind of like get too much into because it's about breaking around that. I'm obviously I don't know, but it's a fascinating examination of how we do. Like this all comes down to was there an order given? My Lord Kitchener. Now we see Colonel John Water's character he he he says avenge Captain Hunt after and hunt he is not only brutally murdered, so you kind of go, yeah, well, they brutally murdered a soldier, So go do your thing like you're a soldier. Yeah, I think they say that, aren't soldiers supposed to? Yeah, all the opposition. Yeah, yeah, that's kind of the point.
Speaker 3: It's a very tough one, and I think that's what I loved about it. It's something I think a lot about with films is I have a lot of friends that when they watch a movie, they'll make a decision on it really early on. I'll sort of see them as I'm sitting next and they'll go that person's bad and that person's good. And it's something that we do a lot now where we just jumped straight on it, and I think, like, and it's hard to say how I would have viewed it in you know, in the early eighties, but there's an element with this movie where I feel like, as I first watched it, it feels like it's positioning these characters just as victims of colonial Britain and just as good people that have gotten into a bad situation. And that kind of broadly is what the plot is saying. But then there's just moments, particular kularly with the Third Crime with the the Minister, Yeah, where you just and I don't think anyone in the making of it is trying to excuse them for doing what they've done. It's really crook and it's really wrong, and it's really hard to stomach and hard to even with the oh they were given orders, even with it's like, oh, that's a really crook thing they've done, and it's it's it's I love that complexity and I love that grayness, because that's what war is. I think in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: And you have other soldiers including Elf Stuart calling Elf Stewart during this, you know, and Chris Haywood, who they actually speak up, but then they're not they're not portrayed as sympathetic. Yeah, almost betrayed as like, hang on, you're you're doing your mate in here. Yeah, even though all they were saying is like, no, we should have They were following their own I guess code of ethics, and were they because they maybe hadn't seen the order or hadn't heard the order because this order was kind of given to one person from another person on behalf of another person. Yeah, that's the murkiness of war. How do you you know, like break him around. Possibly thinks he's doing the right thing because he's heard that he's heard that order.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's also you know, in a rage because he's his best mate, has been and he's seen the horrors of war in the firsthand, the mutilation of Captain Hunt. He wants revenge. He wants revenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's just a really tough one and I do love I think I love that it plays to the complexity of it. I think it's the other thing I really realized as I was watching it, I just I had this realization. I've been thinking a lot about Vietnam, like, particularly how Vietnam. We think of it as being different to the other wars. It was the one where things got dirty and things got gray and things got murky. And then the more I think about it, and the more I learn about other wars, and the more I watch films about war, the more I realized, No, it's just that Vietnam was the first one with cameras there. It was the first one that captured the grayness, and watching that, I really thought of that, and then I realized, you know, nineteen eighty it's not that long after Vietnam. I think that's kind of still part of the conversation. So I definitely think this is as much about even though it's based on a true story set, then it's as much about the time that it was made. It's as much about now. It's like, I feel like we have all these different kind of things that we say and do and everything, but war was always the same, Like every time you do war, it's always this kind of weird, kind of gross murkiness, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think this film probably gets made because it's in the shadows of Vietnam, and that probably gave it then the I don't know, the inspiration is probably the wrong word, but it was. It felt timely even though it was the story was, you know, yeah, years old by that stage. Let's have a listen. Let's let's dive into some of that murkiness of war. This is this is Terry Donovan playing Captain Hunt and uh with breaking around with the explanation that the gentleman's war is over.
Speaker 5: Go well, Harry, not bad, one dead, one wounded.
Speaker 3: Hand you about thirty of.
Speaker 8: Them kept up on them while they were asleep.
Speaker 5: This this was surrendered. God, Harry got no facilities for prisons, can't even feed them, tail.
Speaker 3: Execute as men Je's mith ding Gate Sirie.
Speaker 5: You do great, Donald Nichols.
Speaker 9: One is what will you go better through?
Speaker 3: Better troop?
Speaker 8: Yet up, get up, Simon. I thought the proclamation only applied to boors caught wearing British shaky.
Speaker 5: New orders from kitchen them okay, doanel.
Speaker 3: Hamilton's confirmed it to me himself.
Speaker 5: No prisoners. The Gentleman's war is over them.
Speaker 2: Here break your teeth on this.
Speaker 1: So it's not just the Taylor who has given it all later on, but it's also Captain Hunt and so I mean it's it's so it's so perplexed because you've got you know, and you do feel how do you how do we, even years and years and years later, or the returning soldiers now in Afghanistan, where do we draw the line for a situation that we have no concept of? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And I think as well, it's the thing you realize as well, is the And I think that scene in particular is so powerful because it's the it's the structures that are in place. Even if someone disagrees all the way up the line, there's not really and you watch you watch news reports about like long form journalism about war now, and it's the same thing where it's the level to which an individual has to push back against those structures that you've got people in offices probably back in Australia or back in England making these decisions that trickle down and it's like it's the it's these structures that I think this film questions really well, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. Let's also have let's keep wrong with another clip because a lot of it comes down to the fact that there was no judicial process given to the Bore soldiers that they should have they should have had the chance to do a face trial, and this, I guess a version of a kangaroo court took place. And this is the prosecutor played by Rod Mulama, and he's and his explanation that this wasn't actually a court.
Speaker 9: Well, I would like to add that I've been generously using the word trial, court martial and relationship killing of bitter.
Speaker 2: It was a conspiracy, it was a consultation.
Speaker 9: It was a measure to mature a criminal purpose.
Speaker 1: But it was not a court. There's two in a way. There's not a court case going on there, there's no judicial process, but the judicial process that is going on is also very weird and ramshackle and improper. In fact, this was the last after this court case is court martial, Australia decided that it would no longer have Australians be allowed to be court martial under the British government.
Speaker 3: Wow that makes sense. Yeah, It's it's such an interesting thing as well, isn't it, Because I think there was there was a lot of questioning at that time of I guess it's like Australian identity and ANZACs and the British Empire, and this film I think captures so well this idea that we like so many of these wars and battles that are so iconic. Now we're all fought. They weren't fought for Australia, they were fought for England. They just sort of sent off, you know, Turkey and Australia have nothing to do with it, you know what I mean? And I think this really captured that that, like why are they in a British court martial? Why are they fighting Dutch South African wars? Like why is this even happening? You know, It's such a weird kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd never when I watched this as a late teenager, I had never heard of the Boar War. This is my first introduction to it. A alone that there was a second one. It was a sequel.
Speaker 3: So many bour Wars, too many Bore Wars.
Speaker 1: Talk about a Boar but it is. Let's talk about some of the performances uniformly. I think, really really great. Edward Wood would Did you know much about Edward wood Wood? No? No?
Speaker 3: So? Who was so?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: He was breaking morants? Yeah, And I knew Edward Wood would even before I saw the movie, because he was on the US TV series The Original Equalizer Denzel Washington remade, and I love that shot. He would just be a guy who had a set of skills and he would so he was the equals He was the Equalizer.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they went with a different choice of Denzel. They went like because because Denzel strong, and you know, he's big and imposing. You know, where where Edward Wood was it feels small and you know and kind of like your granddad in the way partly you know, this is in the eighties, But I used to love that show, so I knew. I knew Edward Wood would. But he's he's just really good and he believes this was the finest performance of his career.
Speaker 3: Don't blame him. It was so good that across the board everyone played it so well. But yeah, he was so fantastic in it. The way that scene you just played to ago where where he talks about you know, this is a different kind of war. He's so good in it because there's this like you can see sort of clock ticking in his brain. You can see the gears going and trying to figure out what the right thing to do is even though it's kind of out of his control in that sequence, he plays it so beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I think he knows how the hierarchy works, Yeah, and how the rules. He is committed to the rules of war. But you do see this little tiny flinches of self doubt perhaps, Yeah, which is it's incredible to achieve. And yeah, there's that scene later on when there when they're waiting the verdict and he's getting drunk and he's retuting poetry. This thing, it's really beautifully done. And then John Waters gives him the option to get away. We can have a horse waiting for you. And and this is Look, he's gone from being this kind of almost jovial, you know, and where a bit jovial because we believe that maybe there's two jurors who are becoming sympathetic sense Champagne along. And then he gets taken aside and goes, no, this is it won't happen. It won't happen.
Speaker 3: That line what does he say, where he goes, you can see the world and he goes, I've already already.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love that line. And then and then he says, you know when you're when you need a stiff brandy to jump on a you know, a wild rumbry or something, then it's probably time.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's there's something about the Yeah, this is the other thing I find because I've done a bit of acting in my little comedy shows.
Speaker 1: Actually I met a pot of this earlier that Annie Donnah. You guys met at Uni with the mission. You're on your way and trying to become like I say, proper actice a proper actor now, but you are dramatic actors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. We were like all legit. We wore a little black tracksuit pants and all black t shirts and walked around him and tried to grow as much facial hair as we could at nineteen, and we were proper actors. We really wanted to do that. And Auntie Donald when we first formed, was always just a side project until you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah it happened.
Speaker 3: It happened, and just you know, and someone was like, excuse me, get on over onto my tally show, get on over, we want to make movies with you. Yeah, so we were all legit and like I used to direct theater and yeah, we're all and yeah, one hundred percent. We're very serious little people.
Speaker 1: Very serious little people.
Speaker 3: And that was the thing. That's the thing I think that you know, you do a bit of acting, and you do a bit of stuff because you've done acting as well, you're an actor yourself. And what I find mind blowing. The thing I cannot like comprehend at all is when someone doesn't arc in a story, like when someone when you see a character sort of become something change over the course of the story because films and TV is not shot in order usually, and his performance is so good, you see him kind of losing his humanity throughout the performance, and so he would have done that on different days. How do you know, like how much of my humanity had I lost? Have I lost at this point in this scene? Like did you have a little post it notes? I don't know. Like it's quite mind blowing as a performance when you really like dig into it, you know.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal. Let's have a listen to what perhaps one of the most famous scenes when I feel for me. This is one of it because this happens reasonably early in the film, when he is put on the stand and he's questioned about did this court case happen? Did it? Did it look like this? And he gives a wonderful performance.
Speaker 9: It is customary during the war because as many of the enemy as possible, And was your court at the trial of the constituted in any way like this?
Speaker 6: What rule?
Speaker 3: Did you shoot him under like this?
Speaker 1: I know so.
Speaker 9: No, it wasn't quite like this. No, no, no, sorry, it wasn't quite so handsome. And as for rules, we didn't care when military manuals around with us. We were out on the belt fighting the ball the way he fought up. I told you what rule we applied. We applied rule three oh three. We caught them and we shot them on the rule three oh three.
Speaker 1: So rule three or three refers to the cartridges that the British Army use. So in that in that they go to a close up of the guns being shot and it pans down. It's a beautiful little shot. Directing is amazing and this is is incredible and you see the three or three kind of carved into the side of the guns. Yeah, the rifles. It's it's incredible. Jack Thompson wins Best Supporting Actor for his role as Major J. F. Thomas in this.
Speaker 3: Jack Thompson man I watched I watched Wake in Freight recently.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So I'm going through a bit of a trainer because I if of all the gaps in film knowledge I have, I think Australian film is one I'm those sort of not ashamed of, but I you know, I feel like I want to have seen the films that we did alright with overseas. And I watch he's so good. Yeah, he's so good at acting.
Speaker 9: Yes, the hot takes hot takes right here.
Speaker 3: But it's also just, you know, it's so hard with this kind of like it's very heightened language, even though it plays naturalism, it's tightaned language. It's from a different time. All the characters are really kind of formal, like even the Australian accent at that point in time hadn't fully formed. Yeah, and the way he kind of finds something that I can recognize in that performance, and he finds that Australian kind of personality and character in a performance as that kind of accent and cultural identity was still formed.
Speaker 1: It's so good and that role we've seen and I'm not sure the genesis of it. I'm not sure there's other I'm sure there's probably other law is that maybe we're underprepared or kind of is so like he plays it because there's a there's a version of this where he is Denniston Udo from the Castle and he just kind of comes in he's bumbling from the stuff, but he actually kind of comes in reasonably hot and kind of like no. He commands the room and he kind of says, this is serious, you know, And then we find out that he's never actually done a trial before. There's land conveysing and wills that he doesn't do these kinds of cases. But he does have an air of confidence. It's only when they walk in the next morning to the courtroom where they do a little bit of the shuffling of the papers and he's trying to kind of catch up, which is understandable because apparently he only got the case a couple of days ago, he landed in Petersburg that morning or whatever, So yeah, they could have really I find it interesting the way they play with his confidence, but also I guess his lack of experience.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly right. It's this there's other characters that have kind of a journey, but he's someone that comes in exactly that he comes in fully formed, he's confident, he knows what his role is, he knows what he has to do. He's really good at this. He just lacks the experience. And that's such a hard thing to get right, like to shuffle the papers, but then be good on your feet like it's such a and he pulls it off amazingly.
Speaker 1: Like he's so good. Let's this is obviously jumping a little bit. Let's listen to his closing argument. We obviously can't play all of it. It's one of the great courtroom speeches of anywhere in the world. Put the cinema.
Speaker 6: The fact of the matter is that war changes men's natures. The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations, situations in which the ebb and flow of everyday life have departed and have been replaced by a constant round fear and anger, blood and death. Soldiers at war are not to be judged by civilian rules, as the prosecution is attempting to do, even though they commit acts which calmly viewed afterwards, could only be seen as unchristian and brutal. And if in every war, particularly guerrilla war, all the men who committed reprisals were to be charged and tried as murderers, court martials like this one would be in permanent session, would they not. I say that we cannot hope to judge such matters unless we ourselves have been submitted to the same pressures, the same provocations.
Speaker 3: As these men.
Speaker 6: These actions are on trial.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's beautifully performed, and it just also is exactly what the movie is about. Yeah, it is how do we judge these young, you know, men and sometimes women who go to war and are putting it in an insane situation? And obviously there does need to be a line somewhere. Yeah, it needs to be a line. You know, we obviously, but where is that line? Who judges where that line is?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And it's like almost the like the barbarity of war. I think that's what this film plays with so much, is the idea of you know, when you do when you fight a war like this, or when you fight a war full stop, you've already crossed the line. There's almost this the line has already been crossed. And then we try to keep these ideas of civility to get a bit like heavy about it. But it's like we we send young people off to die sometimes for kind of really pointless reasons, and then we say, oh no, no, no, the line was here, not there. It was like, well, us, maybe us as a society sending those young people over there to die, we cross the line, and maybe we need to look into you know, I think that the film questions that I.
Speaker 1: Think really beautifully absolutely Brian Brown is so important in this role. He plays Peter Hancock, Lieutenant Peter Hancock, and he gives it levity in a movie that you would not expect there to be any levity, and he just he's got some just cracking lines in some of his interjections with the witnesses are just brilliant. Yeah, this just seems like really dark gallows literally almost gallows humor, where yeah, they're they're building the coffins next door on the wall on the other side, they can actually hear their coffins being built. And you know, I think he says they could have measured us first, and I think break them around says, well, I don't imagine they've had many complaints, There's all these lovel lines, but he he's a really enjoyable presence in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally. I think I loved as well, just like his little almost Benny Hill moment like where were you when this like war crime happened? And then it's just this little like Benny Hill sequence where he's like sleeping with all. I'm like, yeah, let's get that intact. Three guys come on. That was fantastic.
Speaker 1: There are some moments when the particularly with the English, you know, the people putting them on trial, so you got you know, it's a Lord Kitchener and the prosecutor and Bud Tingwell, who's it's actually got a funny watching it knowing these guys are Australian, yeah, and doing the mustache twirling kind of English you know, the enemy thing. But there's there's there's there's some scenes that almost dip into Monty Python. Yeah, remembecause Undy Python have maybe parody this kind of time in history and this period of history that your brain goes there a little bit. But there were some times where it's like and there was around that time where he's talking about I visited, and it's like have you visited visited. You visited, What do you mean visited? I visited and my visitor gets mentioned like eight times in eight seconds.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hilarious, and.
Speaker 3: Just this idea that they're talking about like the most terrific things humans can do. But god forbid, they talk about sex. Oh my goodness, my vapors.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so British.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say Lieutenant Hancock's morality is not on trial here, and Bud ting Well says, oh, I finally it was.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: There is a very funny moment. We doesn't not do Brian Brown, but I just found them. It's not supposed to be funny. But there's a bit where they're getting the translated, the translate into Dutch, I guess, and he wants to know his name. He goes, what's your name? Please translate and that guy goes, what's your numb You probably could have gotten there.
Speaker 3: You probably could have figured that out. Guy.
Speaker 1: That's great Brian Brown. This time in Austraina Fielming, I think you had this. Gallipoli came out maybe the same year Mad Max come out. The year after incredible moment. There was a real it was a really magical I think a lot I've had to do a government investment.
Speaker 3: It was like I've I've heard a little bit about it was Guff Whitlam, I think just went crazy and it was just like you can have all the money and it just and it's amazing the amount of great stuff that came out.
Speaker 1: And it kind of went through basically from the late seventies into up until the ninth up until Muriels and kind of Priscilla right there, and that's kind of went a little dried up. And then you got John Waters is great. You got Lewis Fitzgerald who plays George Witten, who doesn't seem to do a lot, but I think, I think what he does towards the end, he does a couple of things.
Speaker 3: He the young the young guy, young guy on tal Yeah, he was great.
Speaker 1: Is the moral conscience, you know, he is the one kind of saying, are you're sure? And he's caught between the two who are you know, the two groups in a way and the Elf Stewart and the Chris Hayward group who were saying this is wrong, this is wrong, but also you know, following orders on this side and this we're in a war and being they even ask him you can you can you have a word? Can have words to them. In fact, there's a great moment where he confronts I think it's a handcock. Actually, so let's let's have listened to this. You've got to get a firing squad together, Peter, all right, it's wrong to make me know it.
Speaker 5: Don't argue that with me, mate, I just follow orders. Hey, look at this, I got these from that line.
Speaker 1: Dumb dumbs.
Speaker 5: Ever seen what they can to do?
Speaker 1: Put a neat little hole here and at the back boom, oh gone nothing.
Speaker 5: Don't talk to me about what's right or wrong.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really.
Speaker 1: The job of it keeps making you question your own thoughts about war. And every time you think you've settled on an opinion that you think, oh this is wrong, this is wrong, and then you're going to get that, you're gonna Yeah, they mutilated cap'n Hunt's body. They're using these bullets. Aren't like it's it's it's a fight for survival. Like we know what war is. But then when we actually kind of have to think about it, that's when we all get a bit like.
Speaker 3: Ah, and I think it's very it's very you know, we get sometimes really caught up with these sorts of conversations, and I think this film really captures the complexity of it, you know, where it's like he's war all entirely good, where we almost lump soldiers in with the thing they're fighting, and we kind of go like, I'm against war, thus I'm against all of it, or I'm for war, so for all of it. And it's like, well, you know what, you can be against something, but you can see that these people might be victims of the system as much as anyone else, you know, you know, it's not it's not like the richest, most upper class people. It's not like you know, you had like John Curtin in their shooting. That's the thing that's really complex about these sorts of things. And I think that character in particular, that that kid what was the what was his name, George, George. I feel like it's interesting because the film's called Breaking Morant and he's kind of in my in my mind, maybe third in terms of what the core of this story is. And I think it really is Jack Thompson's character and his character that are the sort of moral core of the film, Like he really is just a kid that's caught in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I feel like you've got you've got the experience, you know, soldier in Breaking Morant, You've got the rogue in Peter Hancock and the and the youth. You know that the symbol of these kids that we send away who have not really even thought about what they're there for, or have been sold a lemon, you have been sold something like that. When he realized that that Harry Breaking Morant doesn't potentially even believe in the British Empire, He's like, what.
Speaker 3: Are we fighting for this kid who doesn't really know what's going on? And he gets thrown in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Because you forget that this was sold as an adventure to a lot of people. This was a go see the world. These are people, you know, Brian Brown, characters running from poverty, you know, and so they would never be able to jump on a boat to go you see the world. This is the opportunity for adventure.
Speaker 3: I think that sometimes. I remember because I grew up in a country town and there's always a sort of memorial in the middle of every country town for the soldiers that died, and I often think about that it's exactly what you're saying, this idea that the world was so big in those days, it was so big, and you've got these people, like the idea that someone people didn't even leave their town, like they didn't even go to the city, you know. And then there's these people that went to Europe and the Middle East, and they went to Africa, and they went to just completely all over the world, saw horrific things also probably really beautiful things, and then came back to these lives in this little country town like that would have really messed with them. I can imagine, you know, like absolutely yeah, I can't imagine how crazy that would have been.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a wave of after the World War One. I've learned about this recently. After World War One, there was a whole bunch of people who it kind of it was a real watershed moment for mental mental illness in a way, because before then insanity was seen as a as hereditary Yeah. Wow, so this is the first time this world war World War One. But I'm sure there's probably science if people were actually looking for them. After the Baar was where people were coming back, men who were previously fine, but there's coming back broken and there's shells of themselves. So this is and this is the other thing that's really interesting about this film is this and they make they make a real thing of it all the way through. This is not new. This is a new kind of war, Like this is not sword fighting in a field, you know, this is actually dirty, dirty tactics, which is which is something that needs to be considered when you look at the methods and strategies that they adopted, because they this is the first time the word commando ever appears. Yeah wow, And and it's a bore word, you know.
Speaker 3: You look at it as well, like the link between you talk about the jump from sword to gun and like now we're talking about drones. You know, the idea that someone can be sitting in a little shed outside of Nevada and doing these things and they never go to the place. And it is really interesting that that shift kind of happens around this time where it's you're no longer one on one And as soon as that happened, like it's that thing with World War One, how they were calling it the war to end wars, Like by all accounts, I probably should have been like we should have just gone Ah, it's not. We're not really doing one for one anymore. Like we should maybe wrap this up. Yeah, you know, because it is wild to think that it's just like it's.
Speaker 1: Well, trench warfare wasn't a thing until the World War One. That World War One, there's a new kind of war and the heavy artillery. The term shell shocked. Yeah, he's invented because the World War One. Because there's new sounds that they're hearing. It's not like they're not the knaise of horses and the clinks of swords. Is there's a whole, the heavy artillery, the bombing, you know, it's it's a whole, the whole. Yeah, that's only twenty years after this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the rate at which you know, military can move and the technology and weaponry is incredible and scary.
Speaker 3: It is that thing like you look at older movies like where they would like ride up and I don't know if this is more movies. Maybe wars were always like this, but I feel like in those old movies set in like medieval times, where they'd ride up and be like, hello, well we're going to kill each other and he finally works. You know, it's like it is very Yeah, that idea of just like you go somewhere and for six months you think you might die every second, and then you come home and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, why are they what's wrong? What's with Darren?
Speaker 3: It seems a little lough like, yeah, man, it's crazy. That's what's wild to me is that they took him a minute to be like what he doesn't have hereditary.
Speaker 1: I don't see this connection because Darren was fine and then he went to war and lived in a ditch for three years being bombed every day and shot at and he's come back and it's like he's not what he's like, He's a different Darren.
Speaker 3: It's a bit weird. It's a bit weird to the idea that like a psychologist would have been like, I think there's something here.
Speaker 1: If what happened between when Darren left and when Darren came back. I think if you look at that, you'll find your antiaty.
Speaker 3: There's something here again.
Speaker 1: This film again, and a lot of I've speak on this podcast films from the seventies will not always have their like protagonist be heroes, and they make them murky. You have in lots of different ways. And I thought one of the toughest moments here was when after Hancocks had his Benny Hill moment and you know, the lovely little montage of you know him, you know, visiting local ladies. And but then so you think, okay, so they're innocent, right, like they couldn't be there, And then we have this moment between Lieutenant George Whitten and and Hancock and break the morant and it's basically is a confession.
Speaker 6: Who did kill the machine?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 8: What about your lady friends?
Speaker 4: That was later it's Major Thomas.
Speaker 8: No, no, he's not going to them.
Speaker 5: But we've always told the truth.
Speaker 9: Major Thomas has been pleading, justifying circumstances, and now we're just lying.
Speaker 3: Well, what about them?
Speaker 9: It's nobody's secret our guys have done to day.
Speaker 3: They arrested us at Fort Edward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but killing a missionary, Peter.
Speaker 1: It's a new kind of war, George.
Speaker 8: It's a new war for a new century. I suppose this is the first time the enemy hasn't been in uniform. They're farmers, They're people from small towns. They shoot at us from houses and from paddocks. Some of them are women, some of them are children, and some of them are Missionaries, George.
Speaker 1: It's so brutal, and it's I feel like in movies we hold up the truth to be the most importan a thing, and we expect our heroes and our protagonists to always tell the truth. Whether it's maybe they're having an affair, okay, well you know, tell the truth.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's it's it's you know, killing somebody. You know, come on, tell the truth, confess you know. So we kind of often wait for that moment. But in real life sometimes we will lie our way out of situations, you know, and so, but we movies, we don't have that same expectation. We expect the characters, the good characters, to tell the truth, the fact that they are being openly you know, discussing the fact they are lying their way through this trial to a degree, there's things they are being honest about, but in the you know, they are the guilty of the crime.
Speaker 3: If that feels almost like a twist on the whole movie, even though it's only one moment and one it feels like almost what I was getting out at the start about you have to watch a whole film to really appraise what it's saying. Because I think if you would watch that this movie. Up until just before this, you might think it's a very clean cut story about a group of good Aussie boys who get done dirty by the British Empire. And that moment you just see that it's so much more complex, because you do you want when you watch a movie, you want the kind of answer to come. You know, you want that like, oh good, the moment when you realize he didn't do it, because that's the worst crime of all of them everything else. You're like, oh God, if I was there, maybe I could see how you're in the heat of the moment and then that crime that they're talking about is just bad. That's a bad thing to do. I was so relieved when I found out he didn't do it, when he had an alibi. I was so relieved because I thought, Okay, all right, I can work out what this film is saying. And then that moment happens and you're just like, I got to think about.
Speaker 1: This, is you've ridden a long way to commit this crime. The missionary he's leaving is in his horse and cart. Now I don't know historically if this missionary was you know, like just a missionary, or was you know, was he also fighting, like breaking around suggests did they doint that that? They're probably guessing you know, so, Yeah, it's it's it's a brutal thing to think about. And like I said, it just keeps on challenging your your thoughts about war, your expectations of what soldiers are allowed to do and how, And it's an uncomfortable thing to want to impress on somebody. This is we're going to send you to war with murky instructions and good luck, we'll be here to judge you when you when you get back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's very I think it's also just a love. I think that the thing I've always thought this is back in my theater days. I'm so glad you brought that up. I remember I was putting on a little play in La Mama, and I remember I was working with someone on that and they kept being like, what are you trying to say? What are you trying to say with this play? And I remember just being like, if I can, if I can answer that question, I'll write an essay. If I can tell you exactly the answer clearly, concisely, I'll write an essay. I'll give it to you I'll tell you right now. But I think the purpose of art is to delve into stuff we can't say cleanly with words, and I think this is a great film.
Speaker 1: It's to raise questions. I think. Yeah, it's funny when people have asked me, what are you trying to say here? I'm just like, I'm just exploring something. Yeah, there's no exclamation point. It's not like and this is what I think is like, No, this is I'm just raising some questions about you know, whatever it might be. And that's what I think. I think people make the mistake of going no, you don't need to have the answers. You just need to I think, raise questions and explore and let people watching your audience they may kind of different conclusions, and that's okay if you're if your purpose is to have your audience arrive at the exact same destination.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, why did we spend two hours? Like why did we write all these characters? Why did we go to these places to film this? If you could just tell me what you wanted to say, do you know what I mean? If you could just say to me, oh, these are the goodies, they're the bad It's like, why are we making the film in the first place. And I think that's something that every time I watch something that's a little bit older, I see that kind of complexity and that that and I think that still exists in TV. But in the bigger films sometimes they lose that. The big movies, they lose that.
Speaker 1: Well, you look at a film that kind of exists in this world. You know a few good men, you know, Tom Bruise and Jack Nicholson, and that's all about a couple of soldiers who followed orders. You know that somebody ordered the code read you know, but it's done in a way that's more palatable because you you know, you understand that, you know, and Tom Cruise gets gets it out of famously, Jack Nicholson, did you order the code rad you bet you're outside, did you know? And he it's a very clear that he gave that instruction. Here we still don't know historically, we still don't know. There's no evidence that Lord Kitchener gave this, uh, you know, this order, but we don't know what breaking morand was told. Yeah, if you're told by your commanding officer, you know you're not You're not having that conversation with Lord Kitchener that gets handed down through the hierarchy and it gets to you. So it's it's really, it's really, it's really complicated. Uh, it's did you know before you watch this film, like, did you have an image of it? Did you have the because the closing scene of the execution scene is is quite iconic.
Speaker 3: Do you know that wasn't the one that when when I think, when I thought of breaking Around, I thought of the courtroom scenes. That's the stuff that sticks with me. Is that kind of you know, the split focus and that image of people in that courtroom. That's what I think of, and that's what I thought it was. I thought it was entirely in the courtroom. But no, that final thing, that final sequence, I didn't know about and I hadn't seen. So it was very special to see that kind of for the first time. It's pretty amazing, like beautiful, so beautiful, and I think so much more beautiful because the rest of the film isn't shot like that. The rest of the film is quite it's beautiful, but it's quite kind of middle of the day yep. Interestingly shot, but pretty kind of almost pragmatically shot. It's all very courtroom and then that final sequence is just really beautiful, really like sad and beautiful, and I love that contrast.
Speaker 1: Toally they knock it out of the park. Let's let's have a listen. There are a final clip.
Speaker 3: It's it's.
Speaker 1: Before they go to that. Let's just have a quick listen to because it's it's again another bit of finding little little bit of humor. This is as on their way. They've been let out of their cells too, and they're asked if they were like a prayer or something similar. John de Padre, No, thank you. I'm a pagan and jew.
Speaker 7: What's a pagan?
Speaker 8: It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind.
Speaker 5: I'm a pagan too.
Speaker 3: There is an.
Speaker 8: Epitaph i'd like Matthew ten thirty six. L Right, gentlemen, Well, Peter, this is what comes of empire building.
Speaker 3: A few ten thirty six.
Speaker 6: And a man's social bedet of his own household.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, it's there's some fun with Brian Brown, even though the tragedy of that is it reminds how young he is. He doesn't know what a pagan is. He doesn't even he hasn't even you know, had enough life experience to kind of work out where he might stand. Is he an atheist? Is he agnostic? Is he religious? You know, he's dying before he discovers his own god, if you like. And then yeah, the reading is quite telling as far as get the exact words of basically a foe. They're being killed by their own I think here, so they get moved off and this is I think one of the most stunning sequences in Australian cinema and maybe world cinema as well. This is they walk off. There's some poetry being read. They walk off at sunset sunrise, sorry, and Edward Woodwood puts his hand out and Brian brand Moss immediately takes it. And this was improvised. But then after they did it and they agreed that let's keep doing that, they discovered that break him around actually did that when he walked off to be executed. They have hands. Yeah, yeah, so one of those little magical movie moments. But let's have a listen to this fine sequence.
Speaker 5: It really aimed the place. No time to reel off rhyming diction, but yet we will write a final rhyme while waiting Crucifixion, for we bequeath A parting tip of sound advice for such men who come across in transport ships to polish off the dutch Men. If you encounter any bores, you really must not loot them. And if you wish to leave these shores for pity's sake, don't shoot them. Let's toss a bumper down our throat before we pass to heaven and toast the trimset petticoat we leave behind in Devon.
Speaker 9: Shoot straight your pastwards, don't make a mess of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so, It's inch perfect, it really is. There's there's nothing you would change about that. I was watching it. I've said it many times. The only thing I thought i'd watching it was when they walk off. There is a soldier that's kind of walking behind him, and I was just like, I wonder if they thought like getting the shooting one take where he's out of frame, or just like, yeah, a little bit further across. I was getting really nip picking. I've seen it many times.
Speaker 3: That's the thing as well, with the sunset, they would like they would have had a very short amount of yeah film, Yeah, like I've definitely wanted to get that shot for like comedy things in the past, and it's like, right, too late, we missed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely right. So they might have done a take where it's like, can you guys walk a little bit quicker? How about like a little jaunty jog to the chair, the one version where you just run as fast as you can to the chairs. It's a good point, really good point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just like that, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking, geez, I feel sorry for the assistant director trying to organize this.
Speaker 1: One of the things I had to go back right at the start of the film before we wrap up is one thing I really liked was that they have the title card and some words to explain the Ball War and all that. But obviously it's a very complex situation, so I like that they actually just owned the complexity of it by they said the issues were complex, but basically the ball was wanted independence from England.
Speaker 3: I loved that so much.
Speaker 1: It was so it was so excellent. It was really like, yeah, you're not going to explain the whole the politics of the Ball War in the title card at the start of a movie.
Speaker 3: So thank you for not, and thank you also for not just own Like I've never seen a title card acknowledge its own existence.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go a bit hush, a bit of hush.
Speaker 3: I loved as well that. I loved it as well because I think it sort of puts you in a place where you're like, I don't know a lot about the Ball War, and I love that they were like, look, there's lots more than this. Yeah, we're not trying to reduce it down. We're just talking about a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of it. Yeah, it really is. It's ahead of its time. Glo. We're not Yeah, we're not. This is not everything to everyone.
Speaker 3: We're not covering the whole thing, just this bit basically what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know there are other people who fought in the Bull War as well. We can't cover all of them. I do love that.
Speaker 3: I love the idea of a title card that is more like just a catch up because you're on the toilet for the first team. Okay, so basically he's.
Speaker 1: Previously on the ball War. I did love that. Here is some fun facts before we finish up. It was filmed in South Australia.
Speaker 3: It's wondering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the South Australian Film Corporation had a real stellar runs and apologies. I don't know more recently how active they've been, but they were really fact I think Brice Beresford had a three picture deal with them. This was the second one. The next one was The Club, which assually've seen The Club, which is based on the Colling football Club. We covered that with Ben Lee earlier on this podcast. But yeah, he's shot in South Australia and it looks you know, the apparently one of the first movie shot in Australia but based overseas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, yeah. I was wondering if it was because I was like, this looks Australian, but every colony kind of looks the same. Yeah, make it look like this vague dry version of England's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it is South Africa. Yeah, want to run of Reagan's favorite films? Apparently, there you go. I'm not sure how we.
Speaker 3: Feel about that, but I think Ronald Reagan got it. She watched it later in his life. Get her out to that last twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: The other thing, despite of being anti British, apparently the Queen watched it and really enjoyed it. Prince Charles. I think maybe her husband you recommend that you watch it, and they enjoyed it, and again maybe missed some of the most what.
Speaker 3: A mystery she was like who knows. Yeah, she could have been the most like cool, chill person ever, or she could have been like super conservative.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just such a like it's funny that we don't really know what her viewpoint wise, you know, on these you know matters, like you know, I mean, you know, you more radical people would argue, well, you could have torn the British and by down, you know, you could have ended it. You could have ended it. It's a very hard thing to do, you know. I mean I wish we I hope we become a republic one day. But yeah, she did a pretty incredible job of not of almost as being the face.
Speaker 3: Like six thousands of the six seasons of the Crown is isn't it just it's just the season of like I can't say, I'd love to say, and this.
Speaker 1: Was the first I was film sold to China. There you go. There's a lot of so great fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is the Avatar of the Great.
Speaker 1: There will be eight sequels they're filming now, as well, Zach, thank you so much. Mate. You are extremely busy right now. I know what it's like to be in post production of a project, and I'm not sure if I would have agreed to be on a podcast. I have hassled you for it a little while. We've been close getting this done a couple of times. But I'm glad we have got it done for this film, you know, like you know, it's a big one the process, and you've watched it this morning and we've had I think I love that chat. It's been great.
Speaker 3: It's been yeah, No, thank you so much. This is such a good one too. Like I said, I'm going to start on a bit of a watching Australian film journey, and I'm glad I started on a classy one because I watch some of the more trashy eighties late, so I'm glad I can kind of fold in the fancy ones too.
Speaker 1: You know, well you are fancy ones. I got two words of Crocodile dundee. It's a sleeper hit. You may not have heard about it. Have you seen a big steal? No big deal is like exists kind of on its own in a way, like it's I guess It's Puberty Blues kind of went there as well, but it's kind of like this. It's it's Mendo, it's Ben Mendlsir, It's Claudia Carvin, It's Steve Bisley, and it's it's one of the few movies it's just about a teenager trying to find some love and buys a card. So it's a very simple story, but it feels like an American plot line. And I'm not saying that to be critical. It's actually just sometimes austrained movies are either digging deep into our past and this is actually like contemporary for its time and just a sweet story. And it's it's yeah, about a calf, the Big Steal.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I watched recently that I'd love to fold into the Australian sort of thing is road Games? Have you ever seen road Games? No? Fold that into this, Get someone to watch road Games? Also, have you said, okay, yeah, Derek his head, Derek's head amazing. It's like it's like rear window in a truck. So it's a guy driving a truck across the nullabor and he sees different cars and Jamie Lee Curtis is in it. Like the two leads are American. It's the most like amazing little genre film. It's fantastic, which.
Speaker 1: Had borne out also before you leave. But you you have your own screenings for movies where you tell us about that. Because my son and his mates went to one not that long ago. I hope love that Love movie was. It was a few months ago, but they loved it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I do every month at the Lido the second Friday of every month, the Leado in Hawthorne, I just screen. It's called the Fun Time Film Club and I just screen fun film. So sometimes they're the really bad so bad it's good genre, which I kind of disagree with. I could go into that. Usually when people say something so bad it's good, what they mean is it's really really good and really bad shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then sometimes it's just really fun. So we've done I think Man and Robin needs to be reappraised as the camp classic. It is, so I show that like once a year. Super Mario Brothers the movie I've shown a bunch of times with my friend Mish. But I've also done Fast in the Furious Seven.
Speaker 1: Which is do you have to see the first six to appreciate seven.
Speaker 3: I watched the first six. I've only up until this screening, I'd only ever watched the odd numbered ones, So it was a bit like reverse Star Trek, you know, the Star Trek thing that the even number ones are good. Wrath of carn is good, and I believe it's the reverse with the Fast and the Furious franchise. One, three, five, seven. Those are the ones that you want to see, and up until that point, I hadn't seen the other ones, and I watched the other ones in preparation for this screening, and I think I enjoyed it a little bit less because I think there's some I would say, watch the first one, yep, where they are sort of small time criminals trying to steal DVD machines DVD players from the back of the and then skip it and then suddenly now they're superspies that use cars.
Speaker 1: Instead of.
Speaker 3: Just I think it's so much more of an emotional journey if you have no idea, just one of the greatest movies.
Speaker 1: I love that, I love it. I love it. I think Tokyo Drift was the last one I saw that one mate, Thank you so much. You are bloody hilarious. Check out Arnie Donna, check out Zach's Instagram page, anything anywhere you can take what these guys are doing in I mentioned all of it at the start, and of course the Christmas book, which is a more than the stocking filler. I think, thank you a little bit of Pud. What's the official title, Always Room, Always for Christmas? Pud. It is a sketch that I don't know who came up with it, who committed first to it, but has become it has become the Crocodile Dune, thee of Australian sketch comedy. It is exploded and now it's immortalized in a Christmas books. It's actually stunningly gorgeously realized.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you you No we put that sketch was all built around the fact that I thought the word pud was funny, in the fact that British people say pud seriously. Five years later, we spent months in lockdown, going back and forth in then editor writing this book way too much, way too much effort for a sketch that took him.
Speaker 1: Half a day.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But often these are things that you just put out there, as opposed to things where you work and you try to craft and you try to get perfect. You think, oh, nobody was into that, okay, but no, it's always room for a bit of put it in your stockings and get it for Christmas. Zach thanks so much of your time.
Speaker 3: Mate, Thank you, thanks so much to the scene.
Speaker 1: That was fun, and there was a chance that it might not have been fun, because Break Him Around, as a beautiful film as it is, is not necessarily a fun film. And it is interesting sometimes when you have people who you wouldn't necessarily expect to be into something like Breaking Around, or you know, I mean I could have just chosen an actor or a director, you know, like a serious thespian. But it's interesting sometimes I think to see another side of the performers that we love. So for Zachary to come in and be really honest and engaged and and and and open with his his thoughts on Breaking Around, I thought it was really special and really cool. I hope you did too. Like I said, always room for Christmas. Pod, a beautiful little Christmas book is out now. So if you're looking for a last minute stocking filler or to make your it actually, if you're like a teenage kids are going if you give them that book, you will get a certain amount of cool credits. I think like just like mention it to them, just buy it, put it in their stocking. Thank me later, trust me. Okay. My right hand man, Derek Myers some Casway Studios dot com dot au is here. If you want to get your podcasts off the ground, Derek is demand the chat two. Derek. I'm very excited. We have been a little bit behind because you've been doing a great job patching this together. Often record the episodes and then our outros separately. My schedule has been a bit crazy recently, so you've done an amazing job. But let's catch up on a few speak pipes. How does that sound?
Speaker 2: Yep? Perfect? Who we got I We'll start with Michelle.
Speaker 1: And here we go.
Speaker 3: Hi, Pete.
Speaker 4: Really loving your podcasts. It'd be great if someone could do the Brother Groomsby. They haven't watched it yet. Absolutely love that. Got so many laughs. Anyway, keep up the good work, great podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you so much, Michelle. I was I got to say Brother Grimsby request was not on my bingo card. It's for those who don't know Sessha Baron Cohen funny anything. When this came out, actually, and I really enjoyed the film as well. Is it a classic? Doesn't belong on the list. It's a tricky one. It probably didn't. He wasn't one of his bigger hits. But hey, I will. I mean, comedy is hard. Comedy is so hard, Derek, because we've even when people come and do comedies, I get nervous, particularly their comedians, because it's kind of comedians judging comedy, which sometimes they're not even comfortable with us. So relieved recently, and Lizzie, who really loved This is Spinal Tap. In fact, if she hadn't have enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't have put it. To be honest, I would have said, Lizzie, let's just do another one. Thankfully that situation didn't arise. But brother, g I'm rap you love that film. I got a few chuckles out of it. We'll see, we'll see, probably not on the on the you know, top portion of the list as far as classic movies go. Because of somebody, we are gonna be bit upset. Some people got upset that we did Madi in Manhattan with Ronnie Chang a little while ago, and I would argue, you know that made that in that genre of romantic comedies that made in Manhattan has its place. Could we make the same argument for The Brother Griensby. I'm not completely sure. Have you seen The Brother Griensby. You're being chepish over there.
Speaker 2: I've never even heard of it, But thanks to Michelle.
Speaker 1: Now you got check it out. Check it well, the very least Michelle's abouching for it. I think it's a funny film. I've said Baron Cohen, check it out. Absolutely, you'll get plenty of last It's silly. It's like a spy, a spice spoof kind of film. I think you'll enjoy it, and you never know, we may get a guest into the chat about it. Thanks Michelle.
Speaker 2: Moving right along, here's one from Jason Carter.
Speaker 10: By guys, Jason here, just want to let you both know that loving the podcast. Although I'm struggling through fear and loathing in Las Vegas at the moment, it's one that I've got to catch up on. There's been a few lately that I haven't actually seen, and one of the cool things about the podcast is it's got me to pull my finger out and go and watch a few movies that I haven't made the effort to.
Speaker 6: Do on the path.
Speaker 10: So going pretty good, although I'm struggling with fear and loathing. So I'll get through it and then I can listen to that air. Remember a while ago you mentioned that you had a few guests that you wanted to have on, but you were struggling to find a movie that hadn't seen and I just wanted to throw out there.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could try some of.
Speaker 10: The original movies that won the Best Picture awards at the Academy Awards, things like Grand Hotel and Cimarron, which they're interesting movies. I don't know where the hell you'd find them. I think Cimmarron. I hide it on VHS.
Speaker 2: From a library about ten years ago, so it'll be.
Speaker 10: Out there somewhere.
Speaker 3: But something different and give you a chance to get I think Locke Hume was someone that you mentioned. Give you a chance to get some.
Speaker 10: Of those guys on the pod. So but I'm keep it up, really enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Catch it later. Fantastic, Thank you, Jason, Love love all of that. If you're loathing in Las Vegas, I'm sure you may have discovered already now Jason. Was an interesting episode because that was with a good mate, Daniel, kind of a very funny comedian, and he was supposed to watch Lost in Translation, and as I was doing an introduction, he realized that he watched the wrong movie. So it was a bit of a different episode where we had to you know, pivot a bit and get through it because I hadn't watched Fears and Loathing Vegas recently. So yes, it was an interesting episode that one and I would love to go back and do Lost in Translation. We will definitely will do that. But yeah, like Fear Loathing is a tricky one and it's not for everyone. But funnily enough, I have an email here from a Wayne Perkins and this I wanted to read this out off the back of that, and Wayne says, hey, Pete and Derek, I was really interested in your discussion with Dan Connell about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the fact neither of you could get into it and you thought the characters were unlikable. And the late sixties and early seventies, hundred s Thompson was wildly popular with people like myself who were young and left these The movies was based on the book based on a Rolling Stone article for ninety seventy one. At that time, Thompson was popular because he wrote and did things we were thinking but would never be brave enough to do, and what you understandably now find unlikable. He dynamited Jack Nicholson's letterbox. But I digress. He was American of excess, which sadly overtook him to this day. I can quote vast passages from the book. Sorry to go on a bit, but I just just thought you might like a perspective of someone who was there, so to speak a friend of the pod, Wayne Perkins. Thank you, Wayne. And this demonstrates, Derek, why I love the community we are building, because it is tricky when we are talking about films that people out there love and we obviously I mean.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: In my defense a little bit, I have not probably given Fearing and Loathing in the Las Vegasy the Yasny treatment from my pec because it's funny. When I watch these films, knowing I need to discuss them, I look at them a bit deeper. So maybe if I had prepared by watching Fear and Loathing instead of Lost in Translation, which we agree to, I may have. I may find some things that I hadn't found when I first watched it off my own steam many years ago. But I love the respect I love the banner waving from Wayne. It's a film that means a lot to him and letting us know. I love that, Derek.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And the way Wayne feels about fear and loathing. That's the way I'm sitting here feeling about when.
Speaker 2: You were doing with Nail and I with Limo. Oh yeah, I lived in that disgusting house.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've kind of been there, maybe not in that era, but I know what he's saying. It's like, yeah, I've seen that and it wasn't so silly at the time, and yeah, it sort of fits in. I guess rock and roll people are that with spinal tap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, So feel free to respectfully, which everyone seems to be so amazing. It's almost I'm almost like it's somebody filtering through these emails because they're all, even when they're disagreeing with things that have been said, so respectful. And the thing it's funny because one of the episodes I got a lot of attention was Punch Drunk Love with Hamish McDonald because one of my favorite films. He didn't enjoy it so much, and some different opinions of how HAMI shandled it, how I handled it. Hamish and I both love that our discussion. We both love that episode. But Georgie Towney said to me afterwards, she said, you know, it's we often live our lives like wanting people to love the same stuff as we do. Like you know, and if you find a film that you love, you want everybody to love it. But sometimes the beauty is actually that you saw You saw the worth in that movie, and if others don't, that's okay. They'll see worth and and that kind of beauty in other films. As far as Fear and Loathing Las Vegas. Maybe I have to give it another chance beauty. Next week on the show, we were going to do a Christmas movie which I hadn't seen. In fact, I think Derek, your wife may have suggested this one. Merry Christmas, mister Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm wondering if the name is making us think it's is.
Speaker 1: It believe I haven't seen either, but I believe it's a war kind of movie set a Christmas time. I mean, I don't know David Bowie in it. Yeah, yeah, So but when the thing is we're not going to do it because our guests who was very excited to be doing it and then had to pull out, and this happens. We are asking, you know, the best comedians and the best actors to come and do this podcast, so occasionally it does happen. So we've had the pivot. This time of year, obviously, it's a been tricky to get people in. So what we're doing in the grand tradition of Christmas flashback upsodes we will be doing sitting around a campfire toasting marshmallows Derek and I and reliving our favorite movies from the podcast that are Christmas related. So we'll be doing Die Hard with Tommy Little, we will be doing Gremlins with Trent Roberts. We will be doing It's a Wonderful Life with Broden Kelly from Nie Donna again, and we'll be doing last years controversial Christs episode Not Mean Girls Love Actually with Eddie Bannon. So we'll be playing our favorite moments from those episodes and also reading more of your feedback. We fell a bit behind, so we're going to read more of your feedback more of your speak pipes. Also, well you know how the rest of the season is going to end, so with that, and I've also announced now that there will be a live show happening at the Adelaide Fringe next year. Okay March eighteen, so Saturday, at five pm in a Garden of Unearthly Delights, I will be taking the stage for a very live edition of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. Stay tuned for the guests. We are just confirming that I suspect there'll be multiple guests, but yes, stay tuned. So but you can get tickets now, So if you go to the adelad Fringe website booked tickets for You Ain't See Nothing Yet. Also my live show Deconstructed Origami about you know, things that are built up in tearing them down, the build them up again, and lots of different stuff. We'll be traveling around the country on sale now. We have Sydney on sale, we have Canberra on sale, and we have Brisbane and Adelaide on sale. The rest of the markets of Melbourne and Perth will follow and the more regional dates as well. You can buy tickets for both You Aint See Nothing Yet in Adelaide and they constructed our Gami in all those markets, and I'd love to see you at the last show. Obviously, it's a new a year for me. I've left the project really looking forward against duck in some more live stand up, being able to increase the size of the tours that I do not necessarily in rooms. Actually I'm really keen to play smaller rooms if you like, and play, but do more shows. So yeah, if you feel like coming along and saying hi and supporting me my new life, I would love to see you there. But until next week where it's a very special Christmas episode. If you ain't seen nothing yet until then, get your shopping done and by for now.
Speaker 6: And so we leave old Pete, save man Salt, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.
Speaker 4: Zero