Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order, Kernie Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week we got a message and it went just like this, Dear, She's on the Money. Travel was always a huge part of my life, but once I came home everything changed. Between twenty twenty and twenty twenty two, I was hit hard by burnout. I was weighed down by health expenses and mortgages, and I felt completely overwhelmed. I've recently managed to save up for my first big international holiday and years, using Quantus points and Airbnb.
Speaker 2: To cover most of the costs.
Speaker 4: That trip was a much needed reset, and it inspired me to reevaluate my spending with She's on the Money resources. I set a budget, started saving again, and made living within my means a priority. Now I'm back on track, focused on my financial goals and building a life that aligns with war truly matters to me.
Speaker 2: Money Diarist, that sounds so special. I'm so excited to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, No, of course.
Speaker 4: Thank you for wanting to share with us. I cannot wait to jump further into it. So before we get there, as always, I need to ask money Darist. If I asked you to give your money habits a grade from A through to F, what would you grade yourself?
Speaker 3: I think, based on recent behavior, i'd say a BEE.
Speaker 4: For Now, I love this and I want to know can you tell us a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 3: I guess, as you mentioned in the intro, I love to travel and it's always kind of been a priority for me. But about ten years ago I bought my first property. I didn't want to spend all my money on travel. I did want to have something behind me, so I returned home to my little regional community and bought my first little property. And after a few years, I was just kind of ready for a change, so I moved and bought my second off equity in the first one, which was very lucky.
Speaker 2: Not lucky. Hard work. That's what you meant to do.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, And yeah, as I said, I don't know, at times, it's felt pretty hard and like there just hasn't really been a light at the end of the tunnel to get just paying bills constantly. But yeah, this year, I just kind of made a priority to have that holiday and it was a really good reset for me to realize I can do the holiday if I'm a bit smarter with my money when I'm at home. So it's been a good motivation to get back on track with prioritizing what matters and what doesn't.
Speaker 4: And is travel, I guess top of the priority list at this point.
Speaker 3: It is, but I think I've just recently been reassessing what types of travel too, like I did the European holiday this year, but I think next year i'd try to do something a little bit closer to home, like Asia. It's nice seeing money go to my I'm really trying to prioritize getting money into my offset to bring that interest down. So as much as I do love the travel, it's also it's been really rewarding being a bit better with my money and seeing it have benefits to me as well.
Speaker 4: Is that something you've always felt or are you only recently going Actually, this is really like empowering seeing money in my offset and seeing me control my budget, because I think so many of us avoid budgeting because it feels so restrictive and we're like, we can't live our best lives if we do this. But it doesn't sound like that's what budget is doing for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, it took me a while to sit down and do the budget.
Speaker 2: It's overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, and I just wanted to avoid it, but I knew I had to do it. And when I used your resources actually on your website, it made me sick to see how much like when you took out the bills and what my necessary payments were, I was where's all the excess going. It made me feel like I need to be a bit more accountable.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but also you're welcome, Like both are really good. It's confronting at the same time as going. I'm glad you now know because I'm assuming that this process happened and you were going through it and it wasn't Oh my gosh, I have to be restrictive. When you did this budget, it was like, oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm spending that on that. And it really highlighted your values because you were like, actually, I'd much prefer that money to not go to X and to go to Y.
Speaker 2: What was the most surprising thing in your budget?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it was just the how much was left over. I think food, just entertainment and things like that, how much I had been spending, and you know, and chatting with some friends I haven't really kind and supported friends. We all were on board with maybe instead of having our one hundred dollar meals and cocktails out every week, we do that less less often and go out for a dessert or like a coffee or frozen yogurt or something instead.
Speaker 2: So I love that.
Speaker 4: How nice is it to have friends on the same page as you like, you're like, this would actually benefit all of us, Like it's not just me, guys, And that's such a good way to frame it as well. It's like this is going to be good.
Speaker 2: For all of us, and I mean, you can start having dinner at each other's houses. It's just so wholesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did that recently and it was so nice because we were able to get to have those wholesome conversations. We weren't interrupted by a waiter every few minutes. Yeah, it was lovely.
Speaker 4: Or you have to pipe down because there's like a few tables beside you and you're like, oh, yeah, I want to tell you about this, but I'll tell you later.
Speaker 2: No, you could say it right at the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it was lovely.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: All right, tell me a bit more about you. I want to know what do you do for work? How much money do you earn?
Speaker 3: I have a government job and I make about one hundred and ten thousand a year plus super very cool.
Speaker 2: And how long have you been doing that role? And what does it kind of look like?
Speaker 3: I jump around roles every few years to be honest, within government, which is kind of I think what keeps me there keeps it interesting. But I'm a project manager, so I don't manage projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 4: What did you like one hundred and ten grand a year? That's pretty good money. What did you have to study or do to get into I guess having a government job that pays so well.
Speaker 3: I did like a project management degree at UNI, and it's a while ago now, and I guess a lot of the skills I learned on the job. Really, when I reflect back, it's having goods and chores and good people around me to help Boston build my skills to very cool.
Speaker 4: Talk to me about money goals. I need to know you have two mortgages already. Like you said, I'm back on track. I'm focused on my financial goals.
Speaker 2: What are those goals?
Speaker 3: Ultimately, I'd like to have financial freedom, as I said, I'd love to travel.
Speaker 2: Yes, the best goal ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd love to add some extra income streams that I feel like I need to get on top of. I'd like to pay done that, add some more to the offset really just to feel bit more comfortable. And I'd like to learn a lot more about investing. I did double at one point, but I had to pull the money out to pay for the bills. So I'd like to revisit that.
Speaker 4: That's so fair and I mean you learned something along the way and then you paid bills, Like, I'm proud of you ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: I would love to see you getting back into it.
Speaker 4: But like, we need a solid emergency fund, and like having a nice amount of money in offset is going to be really powerful in comparison, I need to know what does financial freedom mean to you, Like, if that's something that you're like, this is my big goal, this is what I'm working towards. How did you work out what you would need for that?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess I'd just like to live a life that isn't found by bills. I'd like to I mean, ultimately, long term, i'd love to be able to keep both properties and have the rent coming in and paying me. I mean that's obviously a very long term. I'd like to buy a house. I don't know, I'd love to be able to keep both of them. Hopefully I can, but yeah, have a house where can have a yard. But yeah, ultimately, the freedom is like being able to travel every year, not be just feeling like I'm bound by these bills and things like that.
Speaker 4: And is that something that you feel pretty strongly at the moment You're like, oh my gosh, like all these bills are piling up, and it feels like it's running my life. I feel like this is a theme that I'm picking up in this conversation.
Speaker 3: It was, but I think it's taken a few years now to understand when they're all coming in. I've been able to map them out in handy Excel spreadsheit just see to know like that in August and my big bill months, so I need to be making sure the money is in the account to be able to pay those big bills when they come in. So I think, yeah, just understanding what those bills are and cash flow and things like that is really important and not splurging before those are paid. Yeah, being smart around sale time and things like that.
Speaker 2: But that's really hard.
Speaker 4: I totally get it, though, because you said February and August, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like our bills might match up.
Speaker 4: Actually, but those months are they big because you have redgio or insurance or body like what's happening in those months. That is so I guess burdensome in comparison to the other normal months.
Speaker 3: It's pretty much all of the body corporate, all of the rates my red ho insurance in the early part of the year anyway, and then the second half is the other doesn't have the Red Joe in the car, but it's just pretty much all the big bills for the house that you then.
Speaker 4: And have you decided to implement a cash flow system to manage that or like your one bank ac count, girl, Like tell me a bit about like how we're putting this money aside, because like so many of us are like, oh my gosh, it's in my account, like I could spend it tomorrow.
Speaker 3: No, I've got multiple bank accounts. I have a house account. I've just started a car account though, I'm really excited about that one, so next year those bills won't be a big burden on me. But yeah, multiple accounts tracking, and as you mentioned, I've been using Airbnb to help anything that I make, and Airbnb goes to the house account and then that pays for the bills there. So that's been really helpful too.
Speaker 4: I adore that you're going to have to tell me more about airbnb though, like what does that mean? How are you using it? Like are you having guests or are you renting your whole house out or are you just cleaning Airbnb's like I need to know the deeds, my friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been using Airbnb the last few years to help pay my house bills. So I've been renting out my spare room on Airbnb, and I've had doctors for last and Irish doctor staying with me for the last few weeks while she's been.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, how fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been really nice because I like to travel. It's been nice to get to meet people who are setting up their life here.
Speaker 2: It's like traveling but at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a paramedic staying in another few weeks. So mostly women, and they tell me that they would prefer to stay in someone's home than in a hotel on the side of the highway. They feel safer. So yeah, it's really helped me out. But in holiday times I do rent out the whole place for longer periods of time. Issue just to one person.
Speaker 2: That's really fun.
Speaker 4: You have to tell me though, because like it just feels really overwhelming to go, oh, I'm going to stick my spare room on air being but like, what did you have to do to prep for that? Like, did you have to buy all new sheets or all new furniture?
Speaker 2: Like, well, I don't know what does that look like?
Speaker 3: I guess I had it all set up to be honest, it's just my spare room, so I had it looking nice and yeah've always got nice sheets and towels ready. I had a beingb set up a photographer to take nice photos.
Speaker 2: Oh cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it looks nice.
Speaker 4: And then you just put the listing online and say, hey, come stay in my spare room. I'm a really nice girl who lives in this location and I like chatting with friends like is that just what you do? And then how much are you making? You have to tell me, like what are you making? Lots of money, a little bit of money?
Speaker 3: What depends on how often you do it. Obviously, my rates change depending on season and availability, and if they book for a long period of time, I have discount rates, so I can generally make one hundred dollars a night.
Speaker 2: What one hundred bucks a night for your spare room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean I've had someone stay for three weeks and there's a discount on that, so I guess it keeps it a little bit more comparable to a short term rental. I suppose I love it.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's good money though, like every week making an extra like well seven hundred bucks just having someone stay, Like I know that it's going to ebb and flow. You've probably got some airbnb charges, but that's money you didn't have before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's helped pay the bills, and it's kept me afloat for sure. I've taken a lot of the pressure off. So without that, I wouldn't have had the holiday this year, and I wouldn't have had I guess there's better habits too. I think all of my money would have just been going to paying the bills. Now I've had a little bit more extra to be able to enjoy life a little bit more. So it's definitely taken pressure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I have to know what happens if someone takes your whole house, Like where are you going? What do you do?
Speaker 4: Because like do you just like hide under the house until they come back?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go on holidays, so yeah it's usually Christmas time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, perfect, So while you're on holidays, you're leasing your whole house out. I'm not sure why I couldn't comprehend that that was an option.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I was like, so where do you go? I love that? That is really fun.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to a really quick break because after the break I want to talk to you a bit more about having two properties. Like you're only thirty nine. That is a massive goal. You seem a bit like, oh yeah, like it's just something I did, But like we need to know how, when, why, all of the details. So guys don't go anywhere, all right, money diarist, We are back, and I know the answer to this is, yes, do you have any investments?
Speaker 2: If so, what are they?
Speaker 3: Yes? So I've got to well, I guess if you count your home as an investment, but I guess technically have one rental property I bought nearly ten years ago, and then the property I live in Now.
Speaker 2: I love this. How did you get into property?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Was it something that you had always wanted to purchase? Was it something that.
Speaker 4: You had, you know, saved for one million years to purchase. Was it something where you're like, oh, actually I saved the deposits in like six months, Victoria, Like, tell me a bit more about that journey, because, like for so many of us, property purchasing feels so hard and so far off.
Speaker 3: I guess it. Like I started contributing years and years ago. I think it was Kevin Rudd that introduced one of those first time saver accounts. You couldn't touch the money, but you could just add to it, and if you have never used it, it just go to your super So I thought, for someone that loves to travel, it would be a good idea to open one of those accounts. So every when I got a little bit of tax money back, or you know, a bit of a lumpsum, I'd drop some money in there because I knew i'd probably just spend it on travel and would have nothing. I didn't want to have nothing to show for it. So yeah, when I moved back from overseas, I had to live with my parents for a while, and I guess I was just looking at the rental market where I was living, and cost of mortgage was about the same as rent, so I thought, why not stay at home a little while longer, so a bit more money and then yeah, buy my own place.
Speaker 2: And Kevin O seven helped you out with that one. I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now that helped. Yeah, I guess it's been a while since I had that when I rented it out, it's been rented out now for about four or five years.
Speaker 2: That's very cool. What kind of rental yield are you getting.
Speaker 3: On that they're rented to paying about five hundred a week?
Speaker 4: And does that cover the mortgage or does it, you know, mean that you need to top up or like, what does that look like in comparison to the ownership costs.
Speaker 3: It nearly covers the mortgage, but it doesn't cover any of the other bills at the moment. It did before all the interest rate rises, and in fact that I wasn't being smart with the money. It was covering it. But I could have been smart and putting more towards an offset back then, but I wasn't. You know, live and learn that. I guess we were learning.
Speaker 4: We were doing the best that we could with the tools and resources we had at the time. I feel like we're always so harsh on ourselves. We're like, I could have been doing more. Yeah, you could have, but you weren't and you just didn't know. So that's fine. So tell me more about this second property, because you mentioned in the first half of the show that you bought your first property and then you managed to buy your second with equity. So what was that property worth when you purchased it? What did it increase to or did you smash town the mortgage aggressively so that the equity grew, Like, tell us, we need the deats.
Speaker 3: I did have savings. I did save the deposit. I think I had around eighty thous and because I moved home to save a bit. But I had it revalued and I haven't had it revalue recently in the last year, but it had more than doubled in price.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's a little regional town that's done quite well over the last few years.
Speaker 4: So I love that for you so much. So tell me what were you thinking when you bought your second property?
Speaker 2: What was the plan there?
Speaker 4: Were you like, I'm going to buy another investment or I'm going to buy a family home or what was the next step plan?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't think I could do it, to be honest, I was just paying rent and my brother encouraged me to go speak to the broker that we both used, and smart man. Yeah, he did the numbers and was like, yeah, for sure, you can buy another one. So with the equity I had and a bit of savings I had in the bank. Yeah, he encouraged me to do it, and I again glad I did because this one's also grown in value in the few years I've had it too, So.
Speaker 2: I love that so much.
Speaker 4: All right, talked to me about debt. How much debt are you in? What do your mortgages look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mortgages The first property still has about three twenty. I did a renovation on that one, taking out another loan, so that loan has gone up since I have had it originally, So that's three twenty. What's the property worth about seven hundred? Oh?
Speaker 2: Very nice?
Speaker 4: Isn't that exciting when you like spell it out, You're like, actually, look at.
Speaker 3: Me, go, yeah, no, it is well around that anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 4: And then you're getting about five hundred bucks a week on that property.
Speaker 2: It's do you know what that is?
Speaker 4: Creating such good long term wealth. Like at the end of the day, you said, I'm working towards financial freedom. You know, it feels a little bit distant. It's not that far off.
Speaker 3: I hope. So yeah, I just I think having good systems in place has helped me to realize it isn't if I just keep going done the way I am.
Speaker 2: I love that, all right, tell me about your second mortgage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was about five fifty. No, actually that's the value of property. I think the mortgage itself was about four fifty. Yeah. I haven't paid too much off that because it's something been a few years. But the property is worth about seven fifty I think.
Speaker 2: What it's got.
Speaker 4: So when you purchased it, you purchased for five fifty, and now it's worth seven fifty. Yeah, so you're earning one hundred and ten grand a year. But then also your properties are like increasing every year by like one hundred grand overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a hustler. I love this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been hard work and luck, I guess, and that things have jumped. I don't know if we'll see continue to see that jump.
Speaker 2: No, there's no such thing as luck.
Speaker 4: Do you know what? It's so weird all of these people that I know that consistently work really hard towards financial freedom.
Speaker 2: The harder they work, the luckier they get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just feels like a lot of work in the beginning. I guess, I'm sure looking back. Well, I hope looking back, it all feel easier, but when you're at the beginning it is it does feel a bit overwhelming.
Speaker 4: It's overwhelming and all consuming. But now you have two properties, one of which you have rented out for five hundred dollars a week and one I'm assuming you live in currently and you sometimes rented out to people on Airbnb, and that gives you some passive income to help pay down the mortgage or go on a holiday or live your best life. You've got a really good income. I'm just so excited about this money diary, Like you are killing it. But it's also really achievable and really relatable. I think sometimes when you talk to people, you're like, oh, yeah, that's okay, Like she owns two properties, but she did get you know, a really big lump sum, or you know she's been able to live at home until she's fifty, or like there are all these stories, but like you've just plodded along and gotten it done and done it yourself.
Speaker 2: And ah, I love it. What do you think is your best money have it?
Speaker 3: Hmm? I think the airbnb has been one of the best things I've done, as well as the tracking, the budgeting. But that's all very recent, but I've been really disciplined with making sure all of that AIRVMB income goes to cover the rates and body corporate and maintenance bills.
Speaker 4: So yes, smart, So at least it feels really productive and actually takes I know, like having extra cash coming in always sexy, right, We always want more money, but the idea it's pre allocated to something that is going to take the pressure off later, like when rates happen, you'll be.
Speaker 2: Like, hmm, that's already covered. That feels nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does increase my tax will income because that's okay too. Yeah, and my accountant tells me that's okay.
Speaker 2: In fact, the more money we make, the more tax we pay.
Speaker 4: So I would like to earn lots and lots and lots of money and pay lots and lots of tax.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I love it. Tell me, do you have some bad money habits? What's your worst?
Speaker 3: I think I do try to find cost effective ways to do things, but when it comes to my hair and my skin, it's absolutely always the best. I don't want to sacrifice on quality for those, and I think the other one would probably be well, I've got some really good systems in place now. I kind of like consistency. I'll go through periods of being really disciplined with like the budget, and then I'll just splurge like, yeah, I get it. You know all of the sales that are on right now, so I've got to Yeah, they kind of just throw it all over the windows.
Speaker 2: They've got to put some blinkers on.
Speaker 4: I'm like trying to reframe all of the sales stuff to be like, Okay, this is actually a really good time that every time they text me to unsubscribe from that list. So I'm trying to not read too much into it. But also I'm a.
Speaker 2: Little bit spendy, Like I like nice things. I'm just a girl.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a girl tax. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, you said at the start that you are a solid B, which I think is pretty good. But what would it take for you to become an A or an A plus? Like what other steps need to be put in place.
Speaker 3: I think it's just more the consistency and following through. If I can keep this behavior up for the longer term, I'd definitely bump that score up. But yeah, just have you seeing myself do it a little bit longer than the last few months for sure.
Speaker 4: That's exciting though, because that's totally possible, Like I can check in with you in twelve months and be like, so have you been consistent, and you're gonna be like, yeah, of course I've been consistent because I had a really clean plan and then I'm an A plus now.
Speaker 2: Isn't that exciting?
Speaker 3: It is? Hopefully. Yeah, I think I'm on the way.
Speaker 4: I adore it. Well, thank you so much for joining us. Unfortunately that is all we have time for today when it comes to my new darries. But I've loved this. I'd love having a chat with you. I totally resonate on always wanting to spend on good products for hair and good products for skin, Like it's also like a little bit of self care, right, like you feel good using them, so I get it. But I also have loved learning a bit more about how you've been using Airbnb and bringing some extra cash in and I mean more tax means you just earn more money. We just have to have a plan for it. I feel like so many people are scared to earn more money because tax is scary, but like, you're only ever going to.
Speaker 2: Be taxed at your marginal tax rate. And that is a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: No, of course, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I have adored this money Diary, and I know that everyone listening is going to adore it as well. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDST and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P, T Y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine