Speaker 1: Do you know what's starting very soon something that I am particularly excited about. What try to guess come at me with something.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I don't know your period.
Speaker 1: No, it's Maths, guys, Married at first Sight, And I know out of you lot you guys don't watch it, but I'm obsessed and I've watched every season and I just am sick for the drama because there's something fundamentally wrong with me. But what I wanted to tell you guys about is that recently there was this woman on TikTok. Her name is Julia. She created a TikTok which was all around the interview process for Maths. So she was one of the contenders that were in the running for this year's Maths. She was like shortlisted for twenty twenty four, but she decided last minute that she didn't want to do it. Now, she kind of had this bait and switch because she made it all the way through the process. She got to do all of the interviews, she did all of the paperwork, and it's such a long journey like towards like so when you're doing these interview processes, there's so much time and there's so much information that kind of you get you get exposed to, and she decided that she was going to share it, so she created this TikTok. It went viral, and then we were going to get her on to talk about it today, and now she has changed her mind because of legal ramifications. The TikTok has gone down and no longer is she going to speak about it. But some of the some of the things and the hoops that they have to jump through the participants is pretty hairy, and I would love to unpack, like what is it that's required of these mass contestants?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love that she was like almost so at first sight.
Speaker 3: Like, well, that's what it was, right, I personally don't think she gave us that much information. Like I know everyone's frothing this video that this tell all TikTok, But from what I can see, all she said was it was an interview where they made sure I was a citizen. They did an STI check, which you know that's not rocket science to do that everywhere, and then there was just one line that she said where I was like, are you just trying to tell us that you speak five languages? Because one of the things she said was the producer said to me, Julia, you have three university degrees and you speak five languages. Are you sure you're going to find your intellectual eco on this show? Like that's got nothing to do with anything, that's not a.
Speaker 4: Crazy audition process.
Speaker 1: No, I disagree. I think that this is her showing how from the very get go they try and manipulate you into trying to figure out, Okay, are you a girl's girl? Are you going to fight?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 1: We have Brent on the line now. Brent was from twenty twenty two when he was on the show Mass he was partnered with Tamara. If anyone, if you remember and cast your minds back to this, Brent, Hello.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh okay, I want the four one one on this. Do you like, what was your experience like when you were going through the application process and now with the beauty of Hindsight? Do you think that there were some things in the application process that were a little bit dubious?
Speaker 4: No, I actually don't think it was dubious for me. I was giving out it because I was like, Okay, she's quite smart. Without divulging too much, they really play it well. I mean, first of all, they want to make sure that you're not, you know, a bit of a nightcase, and then secondly that you're I guess if they're they're doing it the right way. They want to ensure that you're going to bring entertainment to TV, I mean, which is probably the smartest thing. I guess. They really are good in trying to pair up your personality and what you would be like, I guess under pressure and that's kind of how they mix and match, which I think is brilliant considering we do get good TV out of the show.
Speaker 3: But Brent, I'm thinking back to when I was on the Bachelor. Of my audition, I had to do some crazy things. They made us line up in front of each other, like all the girls and put ourselves where we thought the best looking in the best dress.
Speaker 2: Was like, really choose ourselves and.
Speaker 3: Put ourselves in the line, and then look at each other and tell each other what we didn't like about each other. It was brutal. Is that kind of stuff happening in the maths?
Speaker 2: Auditions give us the juice?
Speaker 4: Well not really, I mean that sounds quite brutal in itself. I think more it was they're trying to see what you're willing to do interesting in terms of, you know, how you have to choose the faces of certain people. I mean, we had to do it in the show. You have to put the people in lining, You've got.
Speaker 2: To rank your yeah, the partner, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So they do stuff like that. But I mean, I guess you know what I think. I think they just want to see how far you're willing to to to poor yeah, and you will push back, and I guess to see how brittle you can be with your honest answers.
Speaker 2: Brent. I've had friends that have been on different reality shows and they've told me that, I mean, legally, part of the process is you have to be provided a therapist or someone you can talk to back end at these shows to I mean, if you're struggling, which we've learned in the press that these contestants do struggle, you can go to and canfide in backs behind the scenes. But a friend who's been on the show has told me that the therapists then go to the producers and fill them in on all the issues that you're having, which then just get cycled back into the show, which I think is psychopathic. Is that something that you experienced?
Speaker 4: Is that really I mean, it sounds likes something that would probably happen, but well, they definitely need someone to speak to at times. I guess you could have vent and get your chest and whatnot. So I don't know when then they report back. I definitely have no idea, but I definitely had to vent a few times.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, Britainlaurae, you've been on the Bachelor, did is that something that happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean my experience was seven years ago, and when we were on the Bachelor, that's exactly what happened. You had a therapist, a psychologist who you could go and you had unlimited access to, but no one told you that when you were speaking to them, the things that you talk to them about it's not private that that stuff can filter back through to producers.
Speaker 2: And so you have this.
Speaker 1: Moment where you think, Okay, I have this tiny little I have this piece of time, and I had this person that I can you know, talk to about how I'm feeling, and really nobody and nothing is safe in that environment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. I think at the same point, I don't think i'd been the vault in too much, Tom regardless, because they want enterity. I'm like yeah, I don't know if I'm going to tell you just how far my thoughts are going right now.
Speaker 1: But Brent, you even said earlier you said, you know, without divulging too much, now, you would have had to have signed a non disclosure agreement saying like we did back in the day. But do you actually think that the producers and the production company would ever sue someone or hold someone financially liable for the things they talk about?
Speaker 4: That's a tough one. Will we will had these conversations before anyone in reality TV to see, you know, whether they really would. And I think, I guess if you really really are the person that throws off an entire season out that causes them that much about house, why is probably? I mean, look, if I was in the business aspective, I probably would too, because there's a lot of people out there just talking and then give me out all the information and can't help themselves. I reckon they.
Speaker 2: Would, you know what I find interesting? And for you and for you Laura and you Britt Laura, you you won, you got Maddie j Like, good for you. It's beautiful. We're all jealous. Brit hate to bring it up. You lost in a really big way. The honey Badger didn't pick you. Did they run up to you, Britt and go, Laura, they gave you a ring of flowers? But Britt, did they run up to you and go sign this? Sign this, sign this? Because I imagine the experiences you both have were very different. Nah.
Speaker 3: They grabbed me by the ponytail, dragged me out of there, threw me the limo. They're like, bb, you sign your life away. They went extra hard on us because we had an unprecedented ending, like it had never happened before, and they thought it was got to be God's gift to reality TV, So they went hard on, like really making sure that we didn't tell us.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I think? I think they just drive the fear into you so much that it's you know, no one wants to say the wrong thing, No one wants to step out of line for fear of the legal ramifications. But I don't think in Australian history has anyone ever actually been sued yet.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I agree