Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone like girls, Hello, boy, the.
Speaker 3: Only one here?
Speaker 2: Hello man, Hello man, boy, Britt law Britt Laura and boy everyone.
Speaker 4: Hey, I learned a very interesting fact today which I thought maybe other people might find interesting. Maybe not, but I'll get a shot.
Speaker 3: Mount Everest.
Speaker 4: We are all familiar with Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world. Right, So the person who was the very first person to climb Mount Everest. You would think it was named after him, but actually his name was eve Rest. And we've actually just been saying the word wrong. That's actually that's incorrect. Mount ever Rest.
Speaker 5: I know that fact, and it's named after him. He didn't climb.
Speaker 4: It, didn't he Why did he discover it? So he never climbed it. Well, it's not even named after him. It's Everest, Laura's facts. Man, everybody know what Laura just said every days?
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Wait, so then, what's the true story so I can tell people the real facts?
Speaker 1: Grace get in here on microphone. Oh God, what is the true fact?
Speaker 3: Grace told me? And then I wanted to tell you because I thought.
Speaker 2: Sir George Evris was the guy who was running a like a program where people measured mountains and this guy came to him and was like, you won't believe it.
Speaker 3: I found the highest mountain. He did all these mathematical things. Mathematical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was after the manager of this team.
Speaker 3: But he got his name wrong. Yeah, I guess we've just changed it. But no, he wasn't the first. He never climbed it, Laura.
Speaker 4: Ever, he should change the name to the first guy whoever climbed it.
Speaker 1: Get in contact with the sherpers and let us know how that goes.
Speaker 4: I'm starting one of those what's those signing things? What's the Yeah, no, change dot org. That's it, that's signing thing.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move this conversation.
Speaker 2: You change dot org coming, Hey, you two, I will give you a fact, a real fact. October is breast cancer Awareness month.
Speaker 3: That's a lot more important than money.
Speaker 2: It is a lot and it's the pickup breast check Day. And we are speaking to Professor Sarah Lewis. She's a researcher from the National Breast Cancer Foundation. She does incredible work towards the vision of zero deaths from breast cancer.
Speaker 3: What a wonderful place that would be to be.
Speaker 2: But we're going to speak to her after the break about how to actually check your breast because it's easy to say, hey, guys, check your breast.
Speaker 3: What does that actually mean. We're going to find out after this.
Speaker 1: Hey today, we're doing it on the first of every month, ladies. It's the breast check day here at the pickup and we want to get.
Speaker 5: People to fill their boobs.
Speaker 1: Feel your boobies, have a little squeeze around, feel if anything's abnormal or feeling not right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen to this. Three thousand, three hundred Australians will die this year. Nine Australians die every day and fifty eight Australians are diagnosed every single day.
Speaker 2: Those stats are astronomical. We're lucky enough to be speaking to profess Us Sarah Lewis. Sarah is the Dean of Health Sciences at Western Sydney University. She's a career academic. She's doing some incredible research around breast cancer.
Speaker 3: Sarah, Welcome, Hi, Hi, good afternoon, guys. Hi Sarah.
Speaker 4: Look, I think there's so much information out there for people who know that we should check our breasts, like check your breast, check your breast in the first of the month, but what does that actually look like? And for someone who maybe has never done it before, Like, how would someone conduct a self examination and know what it is that they're feeling for?
Speaker 6: Look, I think chief that day of your month, understand that your breaths are going to change a little bit according to your hormonal cycle, and so chi's a time that's away from your period. And then just do a few simple steps, use the palms, the fingertips and work around in a sort of clockwise motion. Get a really good feel of what is your breast shaped side. There's lumps and bumps, a bit different.
Speaker 3: I reckon, everyone's in their car right now, I feel a boob. I hope they are men?
Speaker 6: Can do you do it in your car?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 6: Look at the person next to you. They're probably going around in a preformation to you. No, guy, A really good, a really good thing to do is to do it in the mirror, because, as you know, breaths are a mobile organ. They're on the outside of us. Actually looking at the way in which your breasts smooth the shape, looking for skin textural changes and things like that. Whilst doing yourself breast examination in the mirror, you're then you're ticking all those boxes.
Speaker 2: So, Sarah, how can you tell the difference between like a normal fatty lump or a gland or something that we all have, because like when you feel your boobs any day, you can feel like little lumps and bumps in there, But how do you tell the difference, So, for example, if you feel like a little pea or something a bit harder, Like, what are the actual characteristics we're looking for?
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, it's important to recognize that most breast cancers are actually you know there is start off really small and they're hard to feel, so you may not actually feel them. I think you're quite right. In particular younger women, there are lots of lumps and bumps there. What we're looking for is things that have changed, So a new lump, a thickening of the breast tissue in the case of my own breast cancer, a skin discoloration like a permanent bruise that won't go around a go away, or anything that actually sort of changes the shape and size of your breast that wasn't there before. That's when you need to be that sort of breast to wear and then go and see your health professional.
Speaker 4: Is it something that men need to be conscious of as well? Because I know that we usually talk about it. Women and women need to check their breast but should men be even wary of this?
Speaker 3: Is it something that men can can get?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Look, men have a really important role to play. A very small percentage of men that do you get breast cancer, so they can also check their breasts in a similar way to women understanding you know, obviously it's a much smaller area that they're going to be checking, but you know, changes in that general breast area. It's also important to check your arm pits and up to the collar bone as well, because you'll be looking for changes in those lymph notes that's where they live. And for men, actually, I would also say they have an important role to help with their partners and indeed noticing that perhaps your partner has a change in their breast appearance. You know, I know the tag line is have you felt yours lately? And I'm not suggesting that you necessarily go and feel someone else's do.
Speaker 1: It with.
Speaker 6: All eyes on where appropriate. Sometimes, you know, we need to look after each other.
Speaker 5: You're doing great work.
Speaker 1: The National Breast Cancer Foundation actually, since their inception in nineteen ninety four, the Breast Cancer Right Ausralia has your.
Speaker 5: Amazing it's an amazing stuff.
Speaker 3: Too high though.
Speaker 4: I know you've got a conversation that can actually change and save people's lives.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and October is actually National Breast Cancer a Witness Month, so're starting today, Professor Sarah Lewis, thank you for joining us on the show.
Speaker 6: Thank you, great breast help.
Speaker 3: Guys, boobies, guys.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Next on the show, Oh my god, the wedding that everyone is talking about, Lana del Ray was married with all her closest alligators over the weekend. She was married in a swamp to her her new husband that she met less than a month ago.
Speaker 4: Dreams glamour like getting married in swamp plans. Yeah, No, it's swampy marshlands, surrounded by alligators.
Speaker 5: Totally. It's an interesting wedding. We've got the deats. Next, Denbo. Hey, you guys know Lana del Ray, Brittain, Laura, she's.
Speaker 4: Absolutely this is a story I am so invested in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's a bizarre story. Ready, Lana focusing on her music career for.
Speaker 1: The last few decades superstar. Oh she's incredible and she's arguably thee of her career. She did headline Coachella a few months ago. She's everywhere. She was nominated for an Album of the Year at the Grammys. Lana is huge now after a month of dating. This weekend, Lana del Ray married alligator to a guide, Jeremy de Frene. According to People magazine, it was a small outdoor ceremony in Louisiana in the Bayu where Dunfrein works as an alligator.
Speaker 2: To a guide, So they were alligators at the wedding, some regator.
Speaker 4: But I like because I remember when this article or the like story first hit the headlines and everyone was kind of like trying to figure out whether they were or weren't dating, whether it was real, because it sounds like fake news. Lana del Ray marrying an alligator like tour guide, it sounds like it can't be real. But apparently they met in twenty nineteen, so that's when they first met. But they've only been publicly dating for one month and then they tied the knot in swamp Marshland.
Speaker 3: I wrecked out of alligators.
Speaker 2: She must have had a solid prenup, right, like, if you're I don't think alligator tour guides are on par with London Ray, like album of the year.
Speaker 3: That's quick. If you've I know, you've known each other since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes for the last couple of years and people just didn't.
Speaker 3: Know about it.
Speaker 2: But if you're married after a month and you are as loaded as Lenda Delray, I'd be hoping that's a prina.
Speaker 1: I'm also a big Lana fan, and this is very Lana Delray, Like all her music is about old Hollywood men. She wants a traditional strong.
Speaker 3: Man alligator nom Lanado.
Speaker 4: I disagree. You're kind of like saying that this was relatable. We're talking about this earlier and Mitch is like it's so relatable, Like she's like the relatable one of the people. There is nothing relatable about marrying an alligator tour guy.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I don't think the wedding itself is really normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but her whole vibe is that she's a celebrity, but she's like goes through the normal emotions that we all go through.
Speaker 4: I don't know, everyone's been saying it's not going to work out because it's such a well first yeah, it's such a like shotgun wedding, but also because they're obviously from such two different worlds. He was married, well, no, so he was engaged before. So he had a fiance. Her name was Kelly, and Kelly, well she's been coming out and talking all over the tabloids. Yeah, so she was engaged for twelve years to this guy and then he's gone on to marry Lana Delray after being engaged for only one month.
Speaker 3: But of course you're going to one month, want Delray. You're gonna speed that, lock it down before she changes the mind.
Speaker 1: Want some facts about the wedding picture this mosquitoes. The wedding took place under a white tent in swamp plant in Louisiana.
Speaker 4: Swamp land. That's that's nothing. Screams romance like swamps.
Speaker 5: They had the fan boats surrounding the sort of archers at the end.
Speaker 3: That's a fan.
Speaker 5: That's how you get around on the bike.
Speaker 3: With the fan that pushes. Sorry, I thought you meant it was just a boat full of fans.
Speaker 1: No, and apparently no, no, no photos have emerged. But apparently the fans were on and they were blowing her veil.
Speaker 3: I've seen the photos.
Speaker 5: We have the photo that's a pixel.
Speaker 2: It actually looks so I'm not. I don't want to yuck anyone's yarng. It looks so unromantic. But she's walking down a swamp. If she's happy, I'm happy.
Speaker 3: We do love Lana.
Speaker 4: But also I don't think it's necessarily the beginning of the end, just because it seems a little bit like a shotgun wedding.
Speaker 3: And I want to hear the happy stories.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I once worked with the woman who she got engaged after dating her partner boyfriend whatever, they met online.
Speaker 4: They were dating for seven days, they went and got married, and they've been to fourteen years now.
Speaker 3: Fourteen years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a textbook for any of this stuff. I think your lovers love.
Speaker 2: I think if you feel it, to go forth with a printup, yeah, or it will.
Speaker 5: Take your calls. Did it work? How long? What's the shortest engagement?
Speaker 3: We can find the shortest one fast, But do we want it to be successful? We don't care.
Speaker 4: O gay, he could be unhappily married after seven days of dating.
Speaker 3: We want to hear about it.
Speaker 5: That's not the question.
Speaker 1: Happiness we don't care about Here at the pickup, we want dates and numbers, calls Here at the show, but taking new calls because Lana del Ray was married over the weekend to her alligating alligator hunting husband.
Speaker 5: Are they hunter to a guy? He runs too? Guys?
Speaker 3: Yes, he got to text the gators.
Speaker 4: Look, lots of people have been coming out and saying that they don't think that the relationship is going to work because it feels like a shotgun marriage. We only found now the month ago that they were dating. But look now they're married, and we here at the pickup think that this is a beautiful coming together of two very different people.
Speaker 3: That's going to be a relationship filled with love.
Speaker 5: I think it's going to last, and I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So what we wanted is we just wanted to know if you've been dating your partner for a very short period of time and then you rushed to the altar, what happens? Yeah, I start together, you get a good idea. We want to give her a bit of a just you know, a bit of confidence.
Speaker 5: Emily's joining us.
Speaker 1: Emily, firstly, before you tell us if you're still together, how long did you know each other before marriage?
Speaker 8: We knew each other for three months before we got married.
Speaker 3: Three months.
Speaker 4: Okay, how long before you got engaged or were you just kind of like, oh, we're here, let's get married.
Speaker 3: It all happen that quickly.
Speaker 8: No, we got let's see, we've met each other, and then three months later married. So it was about like two months after we got engaged and then got married.
Speaker 3: Wow, how long have you been together for? Now?
Speaker 8: If they are all right, we've been together twenty four years?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got a word.
Speaker 4: Yeah the magic Wait, really important question.
Speaker 3: Are you happy?
Speaker 8: I am? I'm still okay.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 8: I don't recommend it to everyone, but it worked out for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, happy for your Emily. We're getting a lot of calls girls, Tracy, Hey, talk to us. How long did it take to get engaged?
Speaker 5: And I still together?
Speaker 9: I met my husband when I was twenty one and we were both twenty one. Four and a half months later we got engaged. Ten months after that we got married, and this Thursday we will celebrate our thirty second anniversary.
Speaker 3: Oh but that's incredible. What's the secret?
Speaker 9: Oh gosh, I think just if you know, you know?
Speaker 3: How did you know? Though?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: You just know?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: I thought I knew? How do you know?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 9: Yes, still married and I look back now, and I think at twenty one, like we freaked out. Our parents are like, you know, it's a bit quick, and it's like, you know, but.
Speaker 6: We love it.
Speaker 9: How then we want to get married and now that I have adult children at like twenty seven and twenty nine, if they said that at twenty one, I'd be like, what.
Speaker 3: The hell, Tracy.
Speaker 4: This is why I asked because when people say you know, you know, I mean, obviously I'm happily married now I have a wonderful husband. But I thought I knew when I was in my twenties, and I would have married someone who was terrible for me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, well the ridiculous part is, and I don't know, this probably makes me sound lanme, but this was my first proper boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh it's beautiful. It doesn't make you also a different time like.
Speaker 9: Back dad, we got married in nineteen ninety two, so that's like an ago.
Speaker 1: It's also it's also when which was born. I wasn't even born, know you weren't, no, But also it's different different people. Like it's so personally there's no one blanket rule that mark. So Laura, you at twenty one, I'm sorry your frontal lobe was jelly, wasn't even well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I really liked men who couldn't be faithful. That was my that was my go to my kind.
Speaker 5: All right, we have one more. Jesse's joining us on the line.
Speaker 1: Hello, thank you, Trace, Happy anniversary, Jesse, talk to us.
Speaker 5: How long were you engaged for? And he's still together?
Speaker 7: Well it's not me, but my dad's side as a family have a history of getting engaged really fast. So my grandparents got engaged after twenty four hours of knowing each other across one year twenty and then my auntie and uncle got engaged after five days. What and my cousin got engaged after a forty eight hour first date.
Speaker 3: Oh and my, so it's genetic.
Speaker 4: How many of these were happy relationships all three.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: When you said it was kind of a family thing, I thought maybe religious.
Speaker 7: No, no, here, I am engaged after twelve years of dating.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 5: Completely, so good at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: And my mom and dad, I'm just going to end this in there.
Speaker 2: My mom and dad met on the one night over dinner as a setup. Knew that night that they were going to be together for the rest of their life, and in a couple of days. It's there forty seventh wedding anniversary. That's beautiful, it's so wholesome. It's my dad's been married and divorced three times. Oh well, you can't wain to w Laura