Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's Monday, Harbor.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi guys, Hello.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the pickup heading to the chemists warehouse today. Great savings every day, maybe fostered Laura Britt. Laura's had her hairdt man.
Speaker 3: We look like we've.
Speaker 5: We look like we've dressed down today because Laura looks like she's dressed to nine and she've done something.
Speaker 6: It's because I usually come in here looking like a hot mess, train wreck, and as soon as I.
Speaker 3: Do my hair and wear it out. But I'm glad you all noticed. I'm glad you noticed I got my haircut. Guess how much it costs me?
Speaker 2: Oh? Question, this is a leading question. It's either a lot.
Speaker 3: Guess how old?
Speaker 6: I Yeah, how much my beautiful haircut costing a couple of four hundred?
Speaker 3: Is it four hundred? Are you getting your hair?
Speaker 7: Have you seen Mitch's hairs like elders?
Speaker 3: Yeah, out very often.
Speaker 7: One hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Okay, well it cost me absolutely nothing. Maddie J cut my hair on Friday night.
Speaker 2: Your husband, Maddie J cut that hair with.
Speaker 3: A pair of meat is I haven't had anyone actually look at the back of it. Oh, he's gone for the undercut Laurie.
Speaker 2: There's a whole car. There's a whole chunk at the back that is missed. There is no shaved like an old brat's doll. It's very ragged Barbie.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, anyway, guys, I thought, what I can't see you won't hurt me?
Speaker 4: Very modern, wow, and how embarrassing that we have Australia's a literal number one heart throb on the show.
Speaker 2: On the day that you look like a Barbie doll.
Speaker 4: I'm taking Tony Armstrong is going to be here from ab Sea Breakfast on the pick up right around the country.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone, Happy Monday. It's the pick up Monday afternoon, Britt, Laura and Mitch.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: If you're stuck on a Mother's Day gift, a Chemist's Warehouse has you covered with big brand fragrances at the lowest prices. Chemists Warehouse, they've got great savings every day. Now, if you're in the car right now, I do, I do really urge you to get a glass of water, because I feel like the nation collectively is about to get real thirsty for this.
Speaker 7: Interview to get ready.
Speaker 5: I got a lead a bottle of water here because I knew I was going to be thirsty.
Speaker 4: Getting thirsty this because the one and only LOGI Award winning TV presenter heart Throb to the Stars, Tony Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Is he on the pickup?
Speaker 1: How? I'm a bit embarrassed. How are you?
Speaker 7: Oh, don't be embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Tony talked to us about this new podcast, The Pool Room. It's on iHeartRadio. This is really exciting. What's going on with that?
Speaker 1: Man? I'm so I'm so pumped about it. So the first episode came out last Friday, and then we're gonna drop a couple every week. So we've recorded them all so far. It's not me interviewing people. It's it's basically me telling telling all these kind of esoteric sportings that you may not have heard before. And they go for about ten minutes, which is up perfect for you commute, you know, to and from work. Like it's not it, I guess from a from a listener interview. It's not like one of those massive commitments.
Speaker 7: Like our podcast Life on Cut.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was like an hour and forty You really are strapping your more bite size and edible Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like I think, I think, what's what I like about that is, you could learn about Shinzo the Japanese the Japanese marathon Runner, which was the first episode. You could learn about Sino on your way to the pub. And then you get to the pub and it's like the perfect kind of reshalling. If you want a whole court listen to the pool room before you go somewhere, and then you go, oh have you heard of That's so good.
Speaker 4: Because there's nothing worse than doune like pub banter, or you're eating the shniti and someone's telling you about the day the day and you, I don't care, terrible story.
Speaker 1: How about this weather? Yeah? Cool man.
Speaker 6: There were rumors last year that you were I mean that you were in line to be Australia's bachelor on the show.
Speaker 3: Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 1: It was actually so nice to find out something about me that I didn't know. Yeah, we feel that I'm doing stuff and even I don't know about but yeah know truth to that whatsoever? Never saw any emails or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Would you do it, Tony?
Speaker 1: It would make me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: I think, well, Tony, something genuinely a little bit more serious. We had Boni on the show last week with the main and she's a very trusted voice within Australian media on indigenous issues as a you. Something that she spoke about was that every time she speaks up about indigenous issues, how she receives so much trolling off the back of it. I know that it's something that you've also experienced, but you.
Speaker 3: How do you deal with this?
Speaker 1: The opinions or the way people might talk about me doesn't necessarily bother me anymore. Like obviously sometimes you're like, oh, yeah, that one actually got through, But because I'm like pretty confident, doesn't really sort of make me feel too bad.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's a difference between trolling and I know that last year you received death threats? Like, how do you manage that when it doesn't you know, when it comes off from just being an online issue to being something that affects you in your every day how do you navigate that?
Speaker 1: I think like leaning on my support network has been great. The ABC has been so supportive as well.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when I was getting something my emails, it felt really close, do you know what I mean? Because you're like, oh, whoa not here. We're like following that up with the police and stuff, and that's still ongoing, which is which is really important for me. But yeah, it's just like leaning on my support networks and not feeling like I have to do it all. But like people are people are great. People always want to want to help everyone really like so if you if you're kind of trust in your friends around you and all that kind of stuff, that they'll wrap their arms around you, then it makes it easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did want to ask you one other sort of question, and it's in the sporting world, so I feel like it is in your world.
Speaker 7: But the CEO of.
Speaker 5: AFL recently came out saying that you know, there are definitely gay AFL players that for whatever reason don't feel like they can be who they want to be, who their true authentic self and come out. We've seen last year, I know there was an ashrowned soccer player, Josh Cavaralo. They went viral for the simply for the fact that they said, Hey, I'm sick of herty, I'm gay, I'm out. What are your thoughts on how we can help people feel comfortable in the sporting world to come out and be who they really are, because it just seems like there's so much struggle happening, and I just can't work out why and what we can do about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I think media, we're so desperate to know, you know. And then it becomes this massive thing almost what fevered people.
Speaker 1: Like, oh did you hear about this player? And you're like, hell, man, I don't know, I don't care. Yeah, and it turns it into a scandal yeah, and it like and then it becomes this scandalous thing. I mean, you know, you look at those examples that you've used the club, and my teammates were amazing, you know, like they have been the most supportive people. Blah blah blah, this that the other. So then it's like you've got to remember how young some of these players are and hew, and the worlds in which they've grown up here are very progressive, Like you've got eighteen year olds in there, you know, and like, I mean, you talked to an eighteen year old recently. I don't know what they're saying.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I have to do every day.
Speaker 2: You want to show with me every day.
Speaker 4: But all I'm going to say on this topic is, if you're gay or you're straight, you need to google Tony Armstrong chili. You'll get a good shot of him drinking some milk and that that, oh my god, that will get anyone moving. You are a superstar, buddy. Thank you for coming on the pick up. You get the new podcast The Pool Room on iHeartRadio. It's available now, Thanks Tony.
Speaker 2: Tony. Next to the pickup, Laura, I've got an issue with your kids.
Speaker 6: Standard sorry, but because Lola stopped sleeping and I've I've got an issue with her as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you can join the witch hunt for your kids. That's next to the pickup. It's the pick up Monday, Britt, Laura and Mitche are head into Chemist ware House today. Great savings every day now, Britt, I'm a bit nervous and I'm gonna upset Laura BYRN today.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 7: These nerves, we always have these nerves.
Speaker 3: What if you done?
Speaker 2: I'm nervous. I was at a kid's birthday party at the end of last week.
Speaker 4: I have two beautiful god sons, Harrison and Fletcher, who I adore, and I was loving the party so much, and then it came to be my favorite part of every party.
Speaker 2: It's when you get a.
Speaker 4: Cake and the little cupcakes cupcakes came out, and you know I love a baked good, you do. So I'm there with my cousin Crystal, who's the mum of my God's sons, and we're all there and the cake comes out and I'm all seeing Happy birthday his little kid. Never met him in my life, but he sits at the table like he's the king of it's his birthday.
Speaker 2: Of course, he gets to sit at the head of the.
Speaker 4: Table and all his friends are around him, and it was kind of like a flock of minor birds. They all sort of like it was like a triangle format. They do They all want to get into that candle, aren't they?
Speaker 7: They was just literally like us at a wedding when there were dorves come out.
Speaker 4: The birthday boys sitting at the head of the table. We all sing happy birthday. And then he goes to blow out the can and the candles go out.
Speaker 2: Boy, they go out. But it's not because of his breath. It's because of the spit that has been projected out.
Speaker 5: Of this this vermin's mad gollied on the cake.
Speaker 4: It covers the cake. It's a chocolate cake, and it looks like there's condensation on it. Instantly from this little brat's breath, and it is all over. And I'm sitting there going and I go light it again. Jesse's birthday was yesterday, let's sing, they do it again.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what they say.
Speaker 2: Who's teaching these kids to blow air out? Because all they do is spit?
Speaker 5: Now, what's the problem here that you then have to consume their spit.
Speaker 2: This is the one point in my life where I will say no to a piece of cake. Oh, I didn't touch it. I can't touch it. It was a pandemic.
Speaker 7: It makes me feel sick thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Actually, they're not gollying on the cake. They just do like a little raspberry in it.
Speaker 6: And it's kind of cute because they're learning to blow out a candle, so they're still getting there.
Speaker 5: So you would consume a cake with say an average of four to seven different spittles on the cake.
Speaker 3: I think I do that every weekend as well. I just honestly, when it's a little flick, it's different.
Speaker 6: If you were just spit on a cake, I would feel a bit different about it. But I just don't think it's that big a deal. Like if it's a little kid and you know, they're not galling, it's they're kind of drooling everywhere anyway. I feel like when you're a parent, you constantly got some sort of bodily fluid from your child or someone else's child on you anyway.
Speaker 2: So you would eat that. You'd eat the spit cover eat.
Speaker 6: The spit covered cake every weekend. It's the best part of the birthday party.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not for me. You're just like I was up all night making a Greens chocolate cake.
Speaker 3: You didn't know make I made this.
Speaker 4: Wait, look at this beautiful piece of chocolate cake that I labored over overnight.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 7: You just on the cake.
Speaker 4: Just count me down three two one three two one.
Speaker 7: No, no, I know you gotta eat it.
Speaker 5: That's Can I do it as well, because it's that's okay God, guys, Yes, I better blow this out as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nicely done.
Speaker 3: It was, damn it.
Speaker 7: It's one of those candles that doesn't blow out.
Speaker 6: Guys, and I would like to see it's very different when you cough, when it comes from the insides of your lungs.
Speaker 3: It was the same. No, it's not a little.
Speaker 6: Kid going to a birthday cake versus you hacking up your COVID. Whatever, swallow it, swallow it, swallow it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't count unless it goes down the hatchet.
Speaker 2: Swallow it.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 3: There is spitcake and cold coffee. That's literally my life.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Everyone, have you ever had a near death experience? Laura is like, yeah, eating that cake. We're talking to someone on the show next who's almost died and has lived to tell the tale. This near death experience will send shivers down your spine, and we're going to catch up with him next on the pickup. It's the pick up Monday afternoon. You got Bret, you got Met, You've got Laurahy. Everyone stuck on a Mother's day gift. Chemists Warehouse has he covered with big brand fragrances at the lowest prices. Chemists Warehouse got great savings every day.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, guys, have you seen about this skier from France? I watch possibly the scariest video I think I've ever seen in my time.
Speaker 3: I've heard about this going viral.
Speaker 6: Okay, so there's a there's a guy from France going for a leisurely little ski had his GoPro at the front of his skis, and as he's skiing, he hits like what looks like normal white slopes, it opens up into an icy crevass, and he goes down deep into this like underground ice tunnel.
Speaker 3: But it happens so quickly and so rapidly.
Speaker 7: I'm watching now, my god, oh my god, he's been swallowed by the earth.
Speaker 3: Earth has opened up and eaten him whole.
Speaker 2: That's like an icy like cravass. I think that's like a kilometer deep. Look at that. That is so deep.
Speaker 3: Now he's in the middle of like nowhere, right. Imagine being there.
Speaker 6: Imagine being skiing by yourself, all on your own, ending up in the middle of a deep, dark hole that having to get yourself out of there.
Speaker 3: He had to use his little picks and pick his way the top.
Speaker 7: He climbed back up.
Speaker 3: And then posted it to social media, as you do when you have near ethics.
Speaker 4: Imagine if he got to the top and he realized that Gwyneth Paltrow pushed him in. She's just standing there with her gloves.
Speaker 3: You skid to me, now, you probably could hear some.
Speaker 7: Bone broth for your warm up.
Speaker 6: I find skiing scary enough. I mean I've been snowboarding a couple of times. This is petrifying.
Speaker 7: That's discussing. It makes me feel ill.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean. To look at something that intense makes me feel physically.
Speaker 7: She's been buried alart.
Speaker 4: It takes me back I had I wouldn't say near death, but I could have been really hurt at one of those classic fairs. I was on the coast of Australia that was like one of those dinky roller coasters and I went on with my sister and the harness didn't click in correctly, and I remember as we started going, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, this isn't this season on. This is doing nothing. This is like a scarf.
Speaker 4: So I went down and then went like it kind of went like on the side, did a full circle and I almost fell out. And you know when your stomach just leaves your body and your soul leaves, and your watching it happen going this could very well be the end. I had an experience like that, and I still can now looking at that video. It takes me back to that moment.
Speaker 7: Every time I get on a roller coaster or a ride at the carnival.
Speaker 3: What do you call it?
Speaker 7: The County fair.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 5: I have to check the harnesses, the sea bells. I check everything one hundred times because I think I'm going to fling out of it.
Speaker 7: It's a real thing.
Speaker 6: I feel like everybody has a near death experience that they've just where You've just pervaded death, just just by the sinning.
Speaker 5: It ail probably the closest I've got to. And this is taking a deep, deep dark turn. But I did this round the world trip for three years with my sister. We traveled to so many countries, but we were in Columbia, in a place called Metagin and I feel like this was as close as I've got to something bad happening.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: I was out one night and I got I didn't know at the time, but I was drug now. I was drugged by There's a lot.
Speaker 5: Of cartel there that they all work together in bars, and they were drugging tourists. I got drugs so severely that it happened in about four minutes. Now, from the time it happened to me, I knew something wasn't right, and I said to my sisters share because I had barely been drinking and we'd been scoped out by the place. Right a lot in hindsight, who are you here with you guys by yourself, you're traveling a lot of it in hindsight.
Speaker 2: They slipped to a pill and a drink.
Speaker 7: They slipped it behind the bar.
Speaker 5: And my saving grace, now I know, was the fact that my accommodation happened to be directly next door to this last bar that we went to, So we walked outside. By the time I left to get to the building next door, I couldn't stand up anymore.
Speaker 7: By the time I got in, I was out cold.
Speaker 3: I was so scary.
Speaker 7: And what happens is at the so I woke up.
Speaker 5: The next day, probably twenty hours later, like I was properly drugged, probably out passed out in the shower. The local told me last night that so apparently they'd followed us out. But the local had told us that there was a really big and there still is unfortunately an organ harvesting and trafficking ring there, especially with tourists. It's really really big.
Speaker 3: If I wasn't just next door, you've been missing a kidney not well, who knows.
Speaker 7: I look back now. It makes me feel unwell.
Speaker 2: That is so scary. I think a lot of people have stories like that that they just haven't told. So let us know. Go to the pickup dot com dot au.
Speaker 4: We'll give you a five hundred dollars chemist ware house about you if you had a near miss, so you've escaped dead.
Speaker 3: I think I'd prefer the glacier give me a crevass any day.
Speaker 4: The County Fair roller coaster, I think that's probably the best Saturday telling my story. Listening to Britz, I'm like, yeah, I've got a fairy floss.
Speaker 5: After I was doing just fine, I had really bad indigestion from that roller coaster, and I'm like, well, I nearly got stolen from.
Speaker 4: Another I'm gonna recategorize it's like a near Gray's experience exactly death.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get out of here. We will see you tomorrow. Will and Water you're up next Wood, he's back, he's out of the jungle.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm excited, but also I wanted him to thought it was weird.
Speaker 2: Same Shane. We'll get all the goss next, see you tomorrow.