Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast last week that lif.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Kent, one of this week's eliminated Australian Survivor players. The popular reality show is back on Network ten and there's already been a few decent twists and turns which has been really interesting to watch unfold. Brains Versus Brown two is a return to this popular Survivor theme and what a first week we had served up by the team at Endemols Shine Australia. I think there has been some really cool setups with some of the characters and I'm already quite invested in the dynamics on both teams. This week we saw Candy, Indy and Kent eliminated in the first tribal councils and we are lucky enough to unpack the first week with Kent. Today. Kent will talk about how he was cast after ten years of applying and what nearly saw him say no to accepting a spot in this series. Kent will share what he thinks about the first three eliminations and what he expects to happen in the aftermath of his exit. I find out about his journey on the show and what it has been like watching his personality from a viewer's point of view. You will get everything from burning maxis hat, what he really thinks of Miles, and why it took months to recover from this experience. There is so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations, So guys, sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of a Strand Survivor, which is back this week on Sunday Night. This is very exciting because from the minute I watched the first episode, I'd heard that there was someone in this series that had applied for many had been applying for many years. I think what I want to really talk to you about, though, is this ongoing debate about do you think being a schooled fan of the show helps you in reality?
Speaker 1: Oh? Look, as much as I am a super fan, like I've loved the show as everybody has listened and heard forever since its inception, but I'm not one of those people like Miles who can be like season two, episode six, this person and played this and they should have done that and that's not how my brain works. Sadly, my brand's pretty good, but it's not that good. That's one area where I lack, but I'm better in other areas. So I think it's certainly something like Master has the ability to kind of do the numbers and strategize and everything. That's never been me. For me, it was my Waimea Bay, my Mount Everest. It was the peak that was unachievable that no one has climbed before.
Speaker 3: That's what it was for me.
Speaker 1: It was never about winning, it was never about it was just achieving the goal, the dream.
Speaker 3: That's what it was all about for me.
Speaker 2: You like the rich people from Jurassic Park three where they were like, we've got so much money we can pay to go to the island.
Speaker 3: The money inside of it, you know.
Speaker 1: I answered one question which was, hey, Kent, are you a multimillionaire? And I went, yeah, I'm a multimillionaire, but I'm not Jeanine Ellis. But all you got was that I'm a multimillionaire, and then they played that a thousand times. And I don't want to be defined by the guy that was cast that has a bit of money. I would love to have just been seen as the entrepre I know, the money side of it is irrelevant.
Speaker 3: In my game and who I am as a person.
Speaker 1: Sure that gives me some great stuff, like I get to do cool stuff snowboarding and surfing and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was a goal. And I'm one of those people in life that.
Speaker 1: I will push and push and push and persist and persist. And when I met my wife, I told her about the show. My kids that are twenty eight and twenty six have known pretty much their whole existence about Survivor, and I told them that I'm going to be on one day and lo and behold, guess what I did it.
Speaker 2: You know, there's this debate about reality TV. Let's go with this about reality TV, where it's a really good opportunity to look in and see who you really are because we in the real world, we don't get it played back and we have no idea about how people see us. Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of you? Do you think you might have seen something about yourself that you thought, hang on a zech, that's not who I am. You know, I didn't realize that's how I came across oh well.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, I was auditioned a couple of years ago as a villain.
Speaker 3: They ran and said, hey, can we want to audition it as a villain.
Speaker 1: And then I went, amazing a villain, but I'll try, and they went, hey, You're not the villain, sorry, lo and Behold. I ended up being quite villainous. But as to who you see, honestly, don't think you know. I have a bad bone in my body. I'm incredibly kind, I'm full of love.
Speaker 3: Hopefully in the.
Speaker 1: In the pre show videos, you'll see me talking about how I just want to come in there and I want to hug Miles and hold him and protect him because I'm worried about him. I want to be the father figure. And then Lo and Behold. I get in there, and night one, Miles tells me I'm the first to go on the chopping block. Day two, he tells everybody that I found an idol. I'm like, Okay, this journey is going to be a quick one.
Speaker 3: Better make an impact. I'm gonna I'm gonna burn Max's hat.
Speaker 1: Because Max had done three things to me in the space of about ten minutes.
Speaker 3: I was like, Max, who's here right by the way. He's just turned up. We're going hat shopping today, Max.
Speaker 2: Get My name's Ben, Welcome to the podcast. I just wishit get a So I watched the first episode without my partner and I said to him, there's a guy that's in this series. When you first look at him, you might not think he's the hottest person in the world, but by the time you finished the episode, you'll be obsessed.
Speaker 1: I agree, I am the most heterosexual man on the planet.
Speaker 3: But I was like, my god, how good looking.
Speaker 1: We are gonna we are going to launch you through this, And I said all along, he's gonna love it when I burn his hat because he's going to be burnts down, our main character. And you're going to get some modeling giggs Atus because he's honestly, you're one of the best looking dudes.
Speaker 3: Look at him. He's a good looking He's a good looking guy. Thank you. It means a lot.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to pick all of that up and move it to the side.
Speaker 3: I'll see you in a minute.
Speaker 2: Lovely to meet you. So you know, Ken, I just want to talk to you a little bit more about just that reflection of yourself. Did watching this show make you think about who you are as a person. Do you think watching this will make you change any of your behavior?
Speaker 1: Look, everything in Survivor is incredibly amplified. Can's a mad man running around with the magette? No canse the guy that has the one machete that we have that's been nominated to chop bamboo, chop down palm frongs.
Speaker 3: That was it. But I'm a crazy man. Man.
Speaker 2: Well, you did say quite a few cutting comments. I mean, some villainous, hilarious one line, but you did say those things though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to me, maybe the way I kind of was like, I'm the I'm the praying mantis. I'm going to I'm going to eat Miles alive. And that's that's not my real world. You know.
Speaker 3: As I said, I went in there wanting.
Speaker 1: To protect I want I wanted to protect Myles, Sorry, I wanted to I wanted to.
Speaker 3: Protect him and nurture him and make sure he wasn't the first vote.
Speaker 1: But what happens in this game is that everything just gets turned on its head. I went in there, first of all, incredibly vulnerable. My wife was very sick. Just as I'd found out I was going on the show. If she was ill, I didn't want to leave her. It was my it was my my dream to be on Survivor. And then also my wife's incredibly ill, so I was like So I was in tears all the way to the airport. Night when I was prying On's shoulder, I had hurt my back really badly.
Speaker 3: I tore my seratus posteria. So I was in incredible pain.
Speaker 1: I couldn't sleep, and I can tell you I literally was losing my mind out there.
Speaker 3: So what you saw on the island was not a true reflection of who I am.
Speaker 1: Maybe certainly there's elements of it, but they were amplified based on the person that I became.
Speaker 3: I will say, and.
Speaker 1: When Rich said something's going on with Kant, I think the appropriate words were something wasn't quite right with me.
Speaker 3: And it took me about a month to get quite right.
Speaker 1: And I've never had any sort of mental health issues my entire life. But I came out a very fragile human being. And that's what I've learned from I guess from this is is that I'm far more fragile than what I ever realized.
Speaker 2: I think it's important to ask how the health of your wife is at the moment, if you don't mind sharing about that, how is she?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is difficult to talk about.
Speaker 1: I came great joy that I rang her and said I'm out, and I came home to honestly a lot of grief. We then spent the next eight weeks traveling around Europe and had a great time. But it's been a battle. I abandoned her in the biggest time of need ever in her existence, and her husband.
Speaker 3: Got went sea. I'm going to fulfill my dream.
Speaker 1: Hence the overwhelmingness that hit me of all of it, it was, Yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes when we make these decisions, you know, wrong, all right, they've been made and you have to go okay, that's what it is, and you have to move on. In a way, I think maybe the universe wanted you home, and maybe the universe made that decision for you. And I'm not completely one of those people that believes that, but I do think sometimes it's important for us to let the path guide us, and you know, maybe this was not your time. Also, maybe burning Max's hat will allow you to be back for heroes versus villains too, and the story may continue because there is something I can say to you, Ken about your time on this show. When you look at the people talking about the first three episodes, they are talking about you. You made an impact.
Speaker 1: I left because I made it happen. I knew when I burnt the hat there.
Speaker 3: Was never an intention of ever announcing it the tribal council. Why would you ever do that. It's like the stupidest move ever. Hey, guys, here's here's the machete.
Speaker 1: You put it to my throat. I was ready to go. I knew it would kill me, but I needed to go. And the second I walked.
Speaker 3: Out, I was like, okay, guys, yep, I'm happy to go. This is what I haven't told you.
Speaker 1: My wife's a time sick and I've ticked the box and I have.
Speaker 3: To get it out of here. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I sent David and phoebea message this morning and thanking them so much for giving me the opportunity and for the journey. And I said, never again, never again. But you know what it's like, it's in the blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, reality, Clev's a little bit like Craig Cocaine. Let people get it and they're addicted, you know, And I'll destroy their lives until they get it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look for me, for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if there was an opportunity again and they'd be my wife would have to be well, and I would love the opportunity, and I would play a totally different game.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't hang out of a bus and destroy my back and going injured and be in pain and not sleep for six days. And you know, with the correct surroundings, it would be a total And if I was on the right tribe, I should have been. Even though I am a little bit of a brain.
Speaker 3: I belonged. I belonged on the other tribe just.
Speaker 2: To get some of your hot takes on the show now because you can step back and be a bit of a viewer, but you also were there. I thought it would interesting to ask you about some of the other things that had happened. I really enjoyed the concept of the White Witch, regardless as to you know who our white witch is. I liked the idea of that.
Speaker 3: And the coven, I mean the Covenants.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a cool thing, you know, the Victoria Bidders and the Covenants.
Speaker 3: Let's put a name to something they can call it whatever they want.
Speaker 1: It was pretty visible day one that they were going to sort of do what they did quite often the case. I'm looking forward to them slowly eating each other alive, which I'm sure is inevitable. That's what's going to happen. Someone's going to flip. That's the beauty of this game, and it's so exciting to watch. I've caught up with so many people from the show. Max is here right now, Laura and myself, Morgan, Kate, and Noonan.
Speaker 3: I've caught up with.
Speaker 1: Miles, I've caught up with Kursten. We've all gone out for dinners. And Laura in particularly I found lovely. Yeah, she was great, although she was pretty cut throat on me last night, and I, as I said in the show last night, you know I trust you.
Speaker 3: Yeah she lied to my face, but yeah, she's a good white witch.
Speaker 2: Well that's the nature of these sorts of shows. So like, if you to play these games, well, you want to be able to create these TV moments, and this particular show celebrates people who lie, and you know a lie, well that's a part of it.
Speaker 3: You watch.
Speaker 1: Aj Aj is going to be I think he's going to be good to watch.
Speaker 3: I don't have the benefit of kind of knowing what's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen, but I feel that, Yeah, Aj came out last night, not out of the closet, he came out, and he's going to rise.
Speaker 3: I can see that.
Speaker 2: Looking at some of the other people that left this show this week, what did you think of the first boot? So you've got Candy that's coming out of this show first, did you think that was the right decision there?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, lookh Nash walking out one of the boldest, fastest finding ever idols, wearing it into you know, that was a pretty bold statement.
Speaker 3: He was probably always going to.
Speaker 1: Play it, and it's always sad to see somebody go, you know, it's devastating for anybody.
Speaker 3: She was just a byproduct of Nash playing.
Speaker 1: His idol, and sadly she was seen as kind of the weakest link. I think, probably because she was just one of the little girls and Kate and her. But you'll find, you know, people like Kate, her Zara, they thrive in the challenges where they can hang off poles and you know, support their own body weight and all those kinds of things. She would have excelled in those things, or she had to climb through ropes and everything.
Speaker 3: It was sad to see her go, It really was.
Speaker 2: And Nash has made some pretty bold booths. I mean, I would never have found that idol and want it around my neck and carry it on like he did. Like I thought that was a choice. That's a real decision in your gameplay. Did you think that? Do you think that's going to bite him in the ass, because what do you think about some of Nash's decisions? And if he didn't have that idol, maybe should he be the one to go home first.
Speaker 3: I don't know about him needing to be the one to go home first.
Speaker 1: I certainly would wouldn't ever tell anybody if I found an idol, and PAULI did it last night. I think it's always good to keep these things because long and behold, you know, and if I tell you, then you'll know.
Speaker 3: Chinese whispers and before you know it, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: So I think, really it's best to always keep those things to yourself unless there's one particular person that you think you can really can fight and you can use it together.
Speaker 3: But we've seen that it can implode, explode. You just never know. It's all about trust and who you can and who you can't. But ultimately, at the end of the day, everyone always gets stabbed in the back, don't they.
Speaker 2: Is an interesting thing that you've brought up right out, because like trust in episode two could have been the name of the episode, because what we saw unravel with Indy's decisions seemed to be about misguided trust. You know, she really could have stayed with her alliance but chose to step out of it. It begs me to ask the question as to whether or not she should have just bit her tongue, you know, and waited, because it makes you wonder whether or not in the game of survivor do you play in the moment or are you playing three steps down the line? Because what's going to get you to the end?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, certainly, if she hadn't have done what she did, Miles would have gone home. That was clear, and then I would have I would have got what I wanted. On the back of Miles telling you when I had an idol and telling me I was the first to go. I had blinkers on for him, which was probably a little bit silly of me.
Speaker 3: But your Indy, Indy imploded, But I understand it until until you've played it.
Speaker 1: It's so there's just so much going on, and you know, it's always talked about in suburb at the Paranoid. When Myles told me, you know, I was actually surprisingly incredibly calm when.
Speaker 3: He said my name. But then about an hour later it kicked in. I was like, ah, I'll it eats your live. It really does. And then you take away the food and you.
Speaker 1: Take away the sleep, and all of a sudden it's like, oh my god, can I make a decision?
Speaker 3: This is the correct one?
Speaker 1: And then you think you have, and then someone tells somebody else and then all of a sudden, the whole thing flips on his head. It's like what she said that he said that, you know, and then all of a sudden, the whole thing flips.
Speaker 2: That's what makes this game so exciting. It's also happening so fast in real time, so it's also happening fast for the viewer, but in real time it's a lot slower. It's interesting with your analogy about the dragon or the poison slowly seeping in. I mean that really permeates more when you're in real time, because with all that time in your head and in your mind you're not making decisions as fast as they look on the show. Do you think that in some ways you were second guessing some of the decisions that you were making.
Speaker 1: Oh, in hindsight, probably the kmmodo dragon bit himself and was slowly, slowly kind of eating me alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of things that you know in hindsight.
Speaker 1: And it's again when you watch, When you watch the show and you see what was happening in those conversations that were twenty feet away, thirty away, thirty feet away, whatever, then you kind of then you get the true picture what you think is your reality.
Speaker 3: And everyone's telling you, yes, don't trust me data, don't worry. If something's fine.
Speaker 1: It's again, you can you can be the only looking you know one hundred and eighty degrees. You can have people right behind you that are sticking the knife in your back and you just can't.
Speaker 3: See it, you can't feel it.
Speaker 1: You need to be incredibly intuitive, and a few days in the ability to do that bades pretty quickly, and the people that rise at the top of the people that capable of probably going in with the strategy and being able to maintain that discipline, that state Miles did a great job. I'm just going to I'm just going to play it, mister cool and sat there and just I mean, credit to the guy. You didn't see me. I was brutal on him. I stood in front of him, said I accused him of stealing the hat, in front of everyone. I know what you're doing. You told everyone I found an idol. You told me not one. I was full on with him.
Speaker 3: That's probably why they cut so you didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, Miles is an interesting character, though, how do I describe this for the viewers perspective? He sort of is an uncomfortable person sometimes, like, but is he using that tactic of being uncomfortable in game play?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I could almost imagine Miles could be a completely different person out of this game.
Speaker 3: No, I've met Miles out of the game.
Speaker 1: We've had beers together, and Miles is the same outside as he is inside. Miles love him. We've been messaging each other this morning and he is full on. And I was rapped that actually, Klin, by the way you saw it wasn't just me going hey, mate, show some emotional intelligence. Stopped doing this as he was twenty four seven three sixty five.
Speaker 3: Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang, telling people that they didn't belong there. What are we even doing here? Like, you're not a brain, I'm the brain.
Speaker 1: If this is someone's journey, man, don't say that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And he's brilliant.
Speaker 1: His brain is just the intellect in that guy's the way that his brain thinks.
Speaker 3: It's manic, it's on overdrive.
Speaker 1: It's almost like it comes out without any thought, and then he regrets it. And that's why he kind of said, I need to kind of a credit to the guy where he went himself back that day and he did him Actually, really, is it all exploded around him to him sitting there changed it?
Speaker 3: Maybe it did, but it's all just kind of everything else was happening.
Speaker 1: People were throwing each other under the bus, and I didn't know that rich was even a consideration. I knew that Indy obviously threw herself under the bus sadly, and then yeah, that kind of destroyed miles going home, which was pretty pivotal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think now he's going to be he's going to be.
Speaker 1: Now he's getting be able to kind of slide under and he can be used from side to side, and it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's definitely set himself up to be a character of this show. There's a few questions coming in about people wanting to know about Zen with his injury and leaving the series. Do you think that that should give him the opportunity to come back in the next series, regardless of the theme. Do you think, you know, having an injury like that and coming out of the show gives you an automatic pass or should give you an automatic pass into another season.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I cried. I cried when that happened.
Speaker 1: It was obviously devastating. I don't know that that's a question for the producers obviously as a fan and him being a fan. Oh, I think he's a fan. I haven't really I didn't get a chest to meet him. Yeah, if he's a super fan and he yeah, absolutely, who knows?
Speaker 3: That's stuck to the survivor gods.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I kept saying as well, was people were saying, you know, it wasn't completely obvious that you were going to get eliminated. It was a bit of a blindside, but you know, people were talking about your abilities and your abilities to read the room, and you're even on camera saying I think I've got a very good read on everything. But when did you think in that tribal council that you were going to go home?
Speaker 3: Well this, I mean, first of all, the tribal that went for two hours.
Speaker 1: You see ten minutes on the show. The first half an hour of that tribal was Max and me, Max and me, all the boys, all the boys, all the boy The girls went even spoken to to the point at one point because We're like, hello over here, we can see Ken's the main character.
Speaker 3: Can we please, JLP? Do you even know who we are?
Speaker 1: They go for a long time, and there was a question that was asked by JLP to AJ and then he AJ mentioned my name and Miles's name, and the.
Speaker 3: Second he did that, I went, yeah, I'm right. And I turned to.
Speaker 1: Zara and Rich that were behind me, and I said, it's me, isn't it? And they went no, no, no, no, no no no no, it's not you. And I knew, and I wish the cameras were on me, and you saw the smile come on my face because I was kind of like I'm going, I'm going and yeah, look. When that final vote was read out, there was a yeah, it was a bit of sweet moment. But yeah, I'd packed my bags. I'd left my hat behind for Max. I had my two sets of really cool shoes, one that I painted up with vibe of logos and stuff all over it.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to leave those behind, and yeah, left the hat for Max.
Speaker 1: So everyone out there going worrying about Max getting sun burnt.
Speaker 3: Hey have you seen this head here? Yeah? I left my hat for Max deliberately.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an exciting first week of Brands Versus Braunze too. It's a very hard thing to get people to buy into series these days. There's people with so many options of so many other shows they could be watching. But this is an excellent start to the show and a credit to you for what you brought to this series. I think people will be talking about it for a long time. How do you predict this series is going to go? Do you think this is going to be spicy or what's your outlook?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's going to happen now. Look, hopefully there's some chaos and catastrophe and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, depending on who wins or loses the next challenge.
Speaker 3: You know, if the Braun lose, what's going to happen with Nash? Who else?
Speaker 1: As a viewer now, you kind of can't see much else happening other than Thath who's going to go next? In in the my God? Based on last night, I would probably say Rich, Yeah, the girls have got control, man. I'll just pluck them off by one by one. I'll call them the boy spooning brigade that are getting the boys all warm and fuzzy.
Speaker 3: We'll just pick them off one by one. That's exactly what's happening to you.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I ask everyone what is something from behind the scenes. We've got to be careful with Survivor because we want to protect some of the secrecy of this show. Have you got anything interesting about your time in there that you can share that's maybe something we didn't see on the program.
Speaker 1: Oh so much, But I've signed an NDA.
Speaker 2: You know what a good question might be to ask you about the choices of your clothing. How much time did it take to work out what you were going to wear?
Speaker 3: Put it this.
Speaker 1: Way, I didn't want to be the guy every season I'm like, why the hell is it guy wearing a suit?
Speaker 3: Who does he think he is? Anyway, I ended up wearing a suit jacket.
Speaker 1: We were the red or the orange or the pink, so I went and got some red chinos.
Speaker 3: I had some really.
Speaker 1: Cool, helly, handsome shoes that I went and bought and I painted them up with full colors because I'm very bland. And yeah, my Leopard Prince shirt. There's some other cool pink hoodie I had. Yeah, look that the wardrobe process is guided, shall we say so?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I got to wear my Leopard Prince shirt, which is pretty cool. I was pretty pumped being able to My wife hates that shirt though, but I love it. And every time I wear it, I've been on a plane, the hostess will be like, I love your shirt, and I'm like, tell my wife, I'll be somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I love that shirt. Tell my wife. Maybe she hates it because I wore it on Survivor. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe she knows it's bringing you attention. She's worried about you being an attention seeger. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of that about.
Speaker 1: There is a lot about that about me. Everything I have, is bold, is bright, he is out there. I think that comes back to being told for half my life that I was a failure, and I just want to kind of stand out now.
Speaker 2: Well, mate, I absolutely loved watching you on the show. You're not a failure in my eyes. My thoughts with your wife and her health, and we'll check in with that, you know, as as time goes on. But thank you for being so generous with your time and talking to me on the podcast. I know so many people have so many questions and people are invested in your story. So yeah, you've been kind to share as much as you have.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's been an honor and a privileged and thank you for helping me continue this little survivor journey that's almost over until I get invited back for billings back.
Speaker 2: Don't come back. I'm putting money on that. I'm just going to say, bern a hat do something iconic like that coming back?
Speaker 3: Well what I love the episode two Praying Mantis.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean there's a lot of catchphrases. I mean I was saying to my partner sitting across the couch when I was like, do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon?
Speaker 2: You sort of come up with some of these, like to produces, tell them what to say. I'm in these. You had me, you had a lot of things that landed, you know, that were great TV moments. So I don't know. I think we ended up deciding that we thought that's probably just how you are in the real world. And I think from talkers use today, I think that question answered itself. Perfect job done, amazing, look after yourself.