Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning Alex Moday, Good morning Pats Yay. Small thing to say, but a big thing for us. Our boy Rio, our sick second day and real shame, big year of him personally and on this show as well. Gutter that he's not in the studio with us for our last show. He's been a transformation all year for that young kid, and what a shame.
Speaker 1: It's this awful kind of infection the moment. Anyone noticed your friends, they're all everyone's sick at the moment. Yes, yep, you know last last week. This is me and everyone's sick at the moment. All right.
Speaker 2: So on a Friday, it's all about two things BFY Big Friday, ANJI.
Speaker 1: And double thumbs up. These are our recommendations.
Speaker 2: We do this every Friday with us, book, TV shows, movies, things that we've really enjoyed the last seven days. It might be something your next favorite TV show, book or movie, your next half an hour, because the last show of the year. These are our favorite things of the year, so you take part as well.
Speaker 1: Every Friday we get your recommendations. What have you really enjoyed this year?
Speaker 2: What would you say your favorite TV shows, movies, books, anything that you've really loved the most this year?
Speaker 1: Is share it with me?
Speaker 2: Oh four seven five three one oh four three, Pats, let's kick off with you, mate, What if you loved this year?
Speaker 4: The thing that I can't or two things actually that I can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 5: One very recently.
Speaker 4: Wicked for Good, which is just absolutely sensational, better than the first movie, and just so much heart and all about friendship and love and connection and it's just a feast for the eyes on the screen and it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: So would you put that over Frankenstein.
Speaker 2: I know you're blown away by the kind of like, you know, spectacle of Frankenstein, But look.
Speaker 4: You know what I didn't find Frankenstein. And Joseph Lordie has actually been nominated. I think it's for a golden Golden Globe for his performance. But Wicked is Wicked for Good is just there's something really special about it and it's I think it's going to be a classic. It's so beautiful. The script is amazing. A lot of people will have already seen it, but if you haven't, going a.
Speaker 2: Week Saturday with my two daughters who've already seen it together. They went with each other about two weeks ago. They were like, they watched the video clip if you're talking about it. A couple of weeks ago on Instagram they were saying, it's that dad. It's literally one of the best movies ever made.
Speaker 5: It is and it's going to be one of those.
Speaker 1: So happy to go and see it again. That's taking me to see it. We're going a week Saturday.
Speaker 4: I love that and this is the sort of this is what it's going to do. It's one of these movies where you will want the special people in your life to be watching it with you, and it's one of those. It's like a warm blanket. Whenever you want to feel, you know, cheered up or you will put this movie on and it will just from your heart.
Speaker 5: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: The other thing for me this year was Handmaid's Tale season six.
Speaker 1: It was that still good because I love watching that.
Speaker 2: Right we got into about the third season, Pats, but then it just coincided with a dystopian time here in Melbourne. You're not going to talk about Lockdown. It was a very or any more dystopian things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was no more space in your brain, but.
Speaker 2: Only not because it wasn't brilliant how much how one of the best TV shows ever, But.
Speaker 4: Do you want it to be uplifted at that time, especially when you confined to your house with your family all day.
Speaker 5: But no, this is brilliant.
Speaker 4: It's I would recommend like if you've read the books, definitely Margaret Atward's books, you know you'll be right across this, But especially if you're like a mum where you've got very rarely the house to yourself for like a few hours and you just want to escape. It is so beautifully made and Elizabeth Moss is so incredible in this. And then they're also in production with The Testaments, because you know, it's one of those series when you have a favorite thing you and Alex had know what it's like, where you just there's a thirst for more and it's like, oh, I wish it wasn't the final one. So knowing that another you know, whole new series is in production a few years down the track from where it left off. It just all the pieces were tied up and it was Yeah, it was so powerful. I loved every single season of it.
Speaker 1: Brilliant.
Speaker 2: All right, test your favorite things of the year four seventy five, three, one oh four three.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show, Oh Hells Alive. More later on the iHeart Radio Christian.
Speaker 2: One of the best shows I've watched this year. This comes from Sarah Morning, Sarah Christian. All the best shows I've loved this year was The Paper I saw. I saw that on stand. Ricky Gervais is a producer. It's brilliant, very very clever. Really enjoyed that as well, Sarah. Thank you for your recommendations. All Right, it's our last double thumbs up of the year, the things that we've really enjoyed twenty twenty five, So, Patsy wicked wass.
Speaker 1: Movie of the Year for me Springsteen Delivered Me from Nowhere. Yes, I'm biased. I'm big Springsteen fan. I'd be honest.
Speaker 2: Maybe that does make me a bit wonky eye, just a tiny bit, and it's just on the side, But I love that movie. I really really loved it so much. Deliver Me from Nowhere in my Movie of the Year podcast, my favorite podcast of the year. This is a strange one for me, but I really want to just talk about how great it was. Really well made, a very human voice in journalism, and it's a rival broadcasting organization, and it's an ABC podcast, and it was The Mushroom Daily. It was everything that was going on day by day, twenty minute episodes during an incredible trial. The captivated not just this city in Australia but the world, but the trial of Aaron Patterson's called The Mushroom Daily. Not sensationalists, just very human journalism. I thought it was pretty, absolutely brilliant. The whole family watched it with swap notes on it. It's very very good Mushroom Daily. You can still listen again to it. Favorite TV shows far from me. I loved all of these in no order. Task, the Studio, the Pit, and adolescents. If you have kids, no matter what age they are, whether you're a new parent or you've got teenagers or nineteen year olds, twenty year olds.
Speaker 1: It is essential you watch adolescents.
Speaker 2: You cannot say you're a parent if you don't care about the kids and the world they're in, not the world we are in, the world that they are in and growing into if you don't watch adolescents, it is more important than any book you read on parenting and how they getting them into sleep habits and changing their nappies. That is about the world that we are growing them into. We don't know enough about it. I wish that this TV show I've been around ten years ago. I think I would have been a better parent. But anyway, adolescents very very good. I love reading books. These are three books I picked. I read a lot of books. These are three books I've loved this year. These are three books I've recommended.
Speaker 1: Some of them.
Speaker 2: I've actually bought copies of friends who don't like to read that much, and they love them. So I just want to recommend books that I think you would really enjoy, even if you don't read tons of books, like a book nerd like me. First of all, book called great title this one. I can easily describe this if a nonna was Tony Soprano. This is a story. One of her kids dies, she's a honor, she goes on the revenge. It's an incredible story. It will become a movie, I'm sure. The Savage and Noble Death of Bab's Dione brilliant book. Second one, Sa Crosby's book, King of Ashes, banger of a book. You'll read it in two days over Christmas. Sa Crosby's written loads of books. I've read them all. This is the best one, King of Ashes. It came up this year. There's a reason why it's got I think that Summer Night two thousand and five Star of News on Amazon. And then if you really want one that's going to knock you off your backside. Ian McEwan's What Can We Know? I read it twice this year. It moved me that much. I can't even talk about the ending of it without welling up.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful, beautiful book. Read quite a few of his books.
Speaker 2: There's one of his books that became a movie movie with Daniel Craig called Atonement. You might have seen that Kieren Nightly a couple of years ago. But What Can We Know is my book of the Year by Ian McEwen. I love that, all right. Those are my record relations, all the ones we've talked about. Alex is coming up next with his, and we've got a load of yours coming through as well.
Speaker 1: We put all these. By the way, I.
Speaker 2: Get a lot of the emails about this feature because we're spoiled this so much stuff around to watch at the moment. Those about eighty seven streaming channels, books, movies, what's good?
Speaker 1: What do you like?
Speaker 2: We put up on our social channels as well, so if you're trying to remember what we've talked about, you'll find it all over the weekend. It might be books and things you want to get for friends over Christmas or else people to get you.
Speaker 1: Head to the Christian.
Speaker 2: O'Connor Shan Facebook on Instagram as well. And if you're around our recommendation anything that you've really enjoyed this year, text me four seven five three one oh four three, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Christian O'Connell show on podcast.
Speaker 1: Last show The heear So double thumbs up.
Speaker 2: She do Every Friday, we talked about our favorite things that we've enjoyed the last seven days, our recommendations, our favorite things that we've enjoyed this year, Share yours. Good morning, Richard Christian Best book Have you heard it? Project? He Yes, it's the same author that wrote the Martian Great book Really Good.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a movie, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Ryan Gosling Andy Weir I figures the author Christian Best movie. I've seen The Penguin Lessons, which is Steve Coogan's movie this year, and our group Patsy hand May's Tale Final season incredible TV. And Christian my favorite podcast, Stephen Bartler's Diary of a Ceo, which is a banger on podcast that is so good. If you want to start, listen to Diary of a Ceo. I tell you what is really good, both interesting and entertaining. Other Jimmy Cart. Jimmy Car has been on it three times and the great episodes really very interesting. Christian, I got into a band had been around for years, The Darkness this year. I love their music, Sense of Human I've listened to your audiobook. I know you interviewed them back on the day, Christian. That story gave me a good laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Darkness step debut album I think came out two thousand and three. Permission to Land was a huge hue seller. They launched it on my old breakfast show. We did them live in front of two thousand people midway during a breakfast show. Unfortunately, one of their songs, they did the unedited version of it and it had eleven times they said the word MFH eleven times at ten past stay, middle of the school run to all of London.
Speaker 1: My radio career was only four years old, and I was like, we.
Speaker 2: Told them, we told them not to do this and if you know The Darkness, they won't listened to that, nor should they.
Speaker 1: We didn't get a single complaint.
Speaker 5: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Which also said to me maybe we didn't have a single listener about then, quite this small show. I don't know which was more true, with the lack of listeners or the lack of complaints, But anyway.
Speaker 1: Glad you enjoy The Darkness.
Speaker 2: They're a great band and he's a great follow on Instagram as well. It does a brilliant series where he talks about his favorite pop songs can be anything from Gaga to The Stones and how they're put together. It's really been I've learned so much from music about it. Justin on Instagram. All right, Alex, what have you love this year?
Speaker 6: Well, just before we get to that. The Darkness they are an incredible band. I saw them in Perth a number of years ago and they did the best rendition of ac DC's Back in Black that I think of.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, what a tree. When bands do a good cover version, it was so so good. But my pix.
Speaker 6: So I have two crime dramas that have stayed with me my entire life. The first one is The Wire, that's an American one. It was an incredible show, incredible show. Closely followed by that is a show called Kin It's about an Irish crime family. It's on SBS on demand and I think about it often. It just rocks you to your core. So you put it up there with the wy The Why.
Speaker 2: I would say that's in my top five greatst TV shows ever long on the Sopranos.
Speaker 6: Definitely, it's just below the Wire for mine. Wow, because I think I spent a bit of time in Ireland. So I lived in Ireland just after I left school, and I guess there's this fascination there with these crime gangs. There's a kind of hand crime gang that I think this show is loosely based on.
Speaker 2: And I thought, you meant this show is Lucy based. You look in a pass then I hear, yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's it's a brilliant It's got Ad Gillen, a little finger from the Game of Thrones. You might have seen him around Kieren Hines. He starred in a couple of Australian dramas.
Speaker 1: Also in Gamer, also in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 6: Game of Thrones as well. So it's just fantastic and it's ten us around the death of one of the crime family sons and this revenge and this absolute I don't know, chase for the dollar and it's it's just it's fantastic and I couldn't stop watching it, and I watched it on my own and so I just absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: We all have a TV show, don't we, that you.
Speaker 5: Watch and that was no interruptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no where you start to watch it with your partner and they go, do you know what this isn't for me?
Speaker 1: This is your one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's last Samurai standing. My wife was as soon as you saw a samurai saw bit unsheath you and you know what, this is not one for me. You could have this one. So yours is king mineus last Samurai standing? Perhaps you just Chris watched Handmad's.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's like a little gift when he says, yeah, I think I'll go.
Speaker 1: Yes, any relationship. You need your own sovereign TV show, don't you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely it's the best.
Speaker 6: Yes, so ken else real quick Bill Simmons podcast the best sports caster I think in the world. If you want to get into American sports, say you're you know your grid Ion, your NBA as well.
Speaker 1: He is fantastic.
Speaker 2: He's a machine that guy Shane the ring The first podcasters in the world before Rogan or anybody else, was Bill Simmons.
Speaker 1: Have you seen his interview with John Cena from two weeks ago. I have not. Oh my god, it's incredible. Really, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I've never been to a wrestling event in my life and it was so good and it's so interesting about what it is like the live events that I googled when is it next? When is ww next back in Melbourne? It's here next year and I brought tickets.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Listen to the John Senia interview on Bill Simmons the Ringer. It's so good at it.
Speaker 6: You love it. He does it so well, mixing culture with sport and it's just hilarious. And my book would be ten percent happier by Dan Harris had got me through a very very difficult time earlier in the year. It's a wonderful journey through I guess self help meditation. He was an American journalist in that cutthroat world of TV journalism in the US, he started doing some more stories on religion, and he sort of got into Buddhism in a big way, not so much the religious side of it, but the meditative side of it and the looking inwards and taking time for yourself. And I started really to do that myself, and it really got me through the breathing. Something as simple as sitting there and taking those deep breaths. I did it yesterday. I took ten minutes to sit there and just meditate. And I can't tell you the difference it makes.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed his book and the podcast, The Brilliant Ten Percent Happier.
Speaker 1: Dan Harris is Britant.
Speaker 2: If you go on YouTube, you see a famous clip of his where the poor guy had a panic attat live on air and then starts talking about what's happening. It's an incredisor that that it's had millions of views. It's Yeah, that book is very simple, easy to read and use advice as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's fantastic going have a read. It could change your life, to change mind. I'll be honest, Yeah, it really did, because I'd never really been into that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: It's sort of kicked around a bit.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, I don't know about the meditation thing. I read that, dang I do it and it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Christian Connell Show podcast