Speaker 1: Laura, come on hello Australia.
Speaker 2: Hello, happy Monday afternoon.
Speaker 1: We're here thanks to chemists, we're house heading today. Great savings every day. How is your Mother's Day?
Speaker 3: Everyone?
Speaker 2: Happy day after Mother's Day?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 5: Just?
Speaker 2: How long does it go for?
Speaker 3: You can get one day, stop rapping it.
Speaker 2: You know what, it's your.
Speaker 4: Birthday, and then it becomes like birthday month or birthday week.
Speaker 2: It's like Mother's Day week.
Speaker 3: No, it's over. Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean my kids were cute.
Speaker 4: They got they brought me breakfast in bed, and then I went and danced for the rest of the day. I was like, how am I going to spend this Mother's Day? And it ended up being away from my children dancing with the stars I had. I was trying, Okay, if you don't know, yeah, I'm doing dancing with the Stars, and that requires commitment and brutal training and no one cares if it's Mother's Day or not.
Speaker 2: You will get on that dance floor. How long did you dance for on Mother's Day? Five hours?
Speaker 4: But then we had a cute family dinner afterwards, so we still I mean, everyone's gonna think I'm neglecting my children.
Speaker 2: I had plenty of quality time with the kids.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for therapy in ten years with your three daughters, and they go, Mum was absent.
Speaker 3: Where was she? Was she busy cooking or working? No, she was doing the samba.
Speaker 2: The sumber, not the samba.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's such a dancing snow. Look at her, it's all sumber.
Speaker 4: It does feel particularly ridiculous when I'm like, I have to go.
Speaker 2: I'm very busy. I'm dancing.
Speaker 3: We have a big show. Look.
Speaker 4: Speaking of my children, Marley May, she's four years old. She walked in on my wonderful husband and I in a very compromising position recently, and look, I think I'll be paying for therapy sessions for the rest of her life.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing you went wrestling. I'm assuming you're in the horizontal.
Speaker 3: Dance of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, naked wrestling.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's on the way here at the pickup around Australia. It is the pickup Monday. Avou, Britt, Laura and Mitch right now get half priced brand vitamins and cosmetics at Chemists Warehouse. Terms and conditions apply. Well, I see this influencer has decided to take things next level. Paula Gonu had to get surgery. You know, influencers and normal.
Speaker 2: People guys, they have to.
Speaker 1: Yes, she had to be awake to watch her doctor perform surgery on her knee, and she's a pretty big influencer. She requested the doctor, however, keep a piece of cartilage from the surgery that they were removing from her knee so she could go home and cook it in a spaghetti bolognaise.
Speaker 2: No, she did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thirty year old ate with her boyfriend. What was a spaghetti bolog naise with a crunchy little piece of her own cartilage in it?
Speaker 2: This is actually disgusting.
Speaker 3: Why did she do it?
Speaker 6: Did not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she says, I wanted to eat it and I ate it with my boyfriend because it was part of me, and I wanted to put it back in my body. So I made a bolig knaise and put it in and we happily ate it.
Speaker 2: That's not good for you.
Speaker 4: Also, a girlfriend that is not going to stay inside your body, that's going to go straight through you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: And okay, surely she's doing this.
Speaker 4: Firstly, she must have not told the doctor what she was doing, because no one's going to give you. No doctor is going to give you a part of your own body to take home and cook it up.
Speaker 6: No, a lot of doctors will give you stuff to take home. But she must have not for the purpose of eating.
Speaker 4: So she must have said I want it for a memento or something. She's not going to say, Hey, I'm going to go home and cook myself as bag.
Speaker 2: But I just looked this up. She's pretty big deal.
Speaker 6: She's got two million followers, so like she's influencing a lot of people into cannibalism.
Speaker 1: Well, the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners told the publication that's writing this, they don't recommend eating your own cartlage after surgery.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think I needed a board of recommendation.
Speaker 4: Do you think that she has done it for more Instagram likes and followers?
Speaker 2: Like this has obviously made her so viral totally?
Speaker 4: Do you think that that's why she decided to film it and share it on social media?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: I reckon she's getting a lot of backlash.
Speaker 6: I reckon she's done it because you know a lot of people, For example, a lot of people get their placenta made into like capsules and they consume it because they I mean, we know placentis full of nutrients curtly different, but there's a I think it's that ideas. I think she feels like it's a part of her body that was there, so it can co back in, but it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Work like it comes right back out.
Speaker 2: That's no.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Also, I mean, look each to their own, but I don't think I would want to eat my own placenta.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a whole ploy because now she'll be selling her own like me, Yeah, it'll be part of her merch line, like it's a brilliant brand. You need to follow me, like you know, I'm putting a cap on this like she can think. I think what the content that she can do. I think she's a genius.
Speaker 3: There to follow me? You know what I scab on? Need it please start? I'm gonna put it up all right. You want to buy his male elbow?
Speaker 2: Can we please stream it on tiktokty?
Speaker 6: You make me.
Speaker 3: Influences scumm of the earth.
Speaker 4: We did speak about it earlier last week. You said that your mum kept your foreskin. You could eat that mitch.
Speaker 1: Like a little breath mint that escalated Laura Burn, Wow, you influences.
Speaker 2: What's up next, Mitch?
Speaker 1: All right, next on the show. Yes, Brittany, a baby's been born and you want to tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: Baby has been born, Mitch. Just watch as any baby.
Speaker 3: It is the UK's first baby born to.
Speaker 6: Wait for it, three parents DNA.
Speaker 1: That's next on the pickup. Welcome to the pickup around the country and it's Monday afternoon. Britt Laura and Mitch here head into chemist warehouse today. Great savings every day.
Speaker 6: The first ever baby created from three genetic parents has been born in the UK.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. It sounds like a wild Saturday night they had.
Speaker 1: Well, because normally you need an embryo, right, and then you need a sperm and then that's yes, egg and egg. This confusing, guys. I'm not going to have a biological baby anytime soon. So this is not my ballpark.
Speaker 6: Is actually biological baby, Mitch. It's just that you just need to use your sperm. You don't have to the deed, but you could have a biological change.
Speaker 3: But how has this happened though? How have there been three?
Speaker 6: What happens is there's still two main parents, I guess, and this is my understanding. There's two main parents, but then the third parent that comes in. It's just a small amount of the mitochondria that they're using. Now that could be completely incorrect. So to clarify that, I have doctor Peter Illingworth on the phone from He's a medical director at IV of Australia, so I feel like he's.
Speaker 2: Going to know a little bit more about it than I do.
Speaker 3: Hi, doctor Peter, welcome, Hi, Hi Hill.
Speaker 6: Now doctor Peter, did I just butcher that explanation?
Speaker 5: Not quite? So? That every cell in all of our bodies has a nucleus with our DNA in it, which determines the way we are, how we function, we look everything else about us. Also, there are little batteries called mitochondria that keep the cells alive and keep us healthy. Now, the problem is that there are some people who are born with diseases in the mitochondria, and this means that little children are bob with very serious illnesses indeed and quite commonly wise in an early death for those children. So disease of the mitochondria is a very very serious problem.
Speaker 4: So this is a way of overcoming genetic disease. Is that why they would be doing this. It's not to kind of have a little lucky deep of who's.
Speaker 5: The parent correct exactly. It's only done in these very rare but very very serious genetic conditions which have huge effects on the families that are affected by that. And so people have thought, how can we fix this? Well, the way you fix it is to replace mitochondria. So the mum and the dad will get together and they'll get an egg donor who will give her eggs for the mitochondria, but they'll take the nucleus the DNA from the mumm and inject that into the donor eggs and the dad's sperm to make an embryo that although it has originally come from three people, really most of the DNA has come from the mum and the dads. And what makes it complicated is that these little batteries, the mitochondria and the cells have a tiny amount of DNA of their own. And that's why people talk about three people reproduction, because there is DNA from three people inside each embryo that farms from this is there.
Speaker 4: Like a moral obligation here If you're a child who was born and you know that you had someone else's DNA floating around in your body. Would there then be some sort of moral implication or thought that maybe that child might want to know whose DNA that is when they grow up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that's a very important consideration. And the idea would be that the child would know who the egg provider was that helped them come into existence. Every time people do donated eggs or donated spam to have their families that the child has to know where they've come from. And all of this has to be revealed to the child as the child gets older.
Speaker 6: And doctor Peter, why hasn't this happened in Australia yet? Are we not doing have the advanced equipment here or what is it that has stopped us from doing it?
Speaker 5: Well, firstly, it's a very serious ethical challenge to do this, To take a nucleus from somebody's cell and insert it into somebody else's cell. It's not something that anyone has ever done before on a large scale basis. So because of the ethical challenges on the one hand and on the other hand, the fate of these poor children, there was a major debate in the Australian Parliament about eighteen months ago to discuss all of this and decide whether this is something that we should be doing in Australia or not. Unfortunately, the Parliament examined all of this and gave all of it they go ahead. It does give hope to these families who are watching their children struggle with mitochondrial disease that there will be hope for them to have healthy children in the future. But it's not going to be an easy road between here and there. No.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm I mean, yeah, I am freezing my eggs at the moment, like I said, but I have opted this time to to do the genetic testing which I didn't do last time, which you know, which when the time comes, my partner will also do that, which to me is fascinating and I think it's absolutely brilliant technology that we're in a place that we can do that and I guess stop things like death and these diseases that are preventable. It's absolutely incredible. But thank you so much doctor Peter for coming on today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks doctor Peter.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of kids, Laura, you your little daughter has seen something that no one ever on earth would ever need or want to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I'm gonna be paying for therapy for my children for a very long time.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you all about that next.
Speaker 3: All right, it's the pickup. It is the pick up.
Speaker 1: Monday afternoon, Britt, Laura and Mitch right now get half priced big brand vitamins and cosmetics at chemist Warehouse. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 4: Something happened to me recently and I'm still recovering from it. I think also my darling, little Mully May, who's four years old, is also recovering from the same experience.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not a good opener to a story, is no.
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: And look, Matt, nah, I'm not really sure what the best way to approach this is, but look, I might get your opinions on it. So the other night, Matt and I were doing the Horizontal Dance of Love. It was very late at night. It was like eleven thirty, Yeah, eleven thirty pm. You know, the guy got lucky. Not to give you guys too many details, but anyway, we're in the middle of it, and how do I describe this at a very appropriate time?
Speaker 2: You were two minutes deep. You're in the middle.
Speaker 4: We got there, yeah, yeah, we were halfway through, two minutes gone.
Speaker 2: And I hear this.
Speaker 4: Pit a pat and then literally instantly, I looked to my left and there's Mary standing about twenty centimeters from my face, like face to face. I rolled over to make face to face eye contact with my daughter. Yes, yes, Marley gets into bed with us every night, but usually she gets in bed with us around two o'clock in the morning, so we kind of had a bit of time to spare.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I roll over and I look at it, and I go, oh, my god, Hi. Actually no, I swore. It was my first reaction because I was absolutely startled. I swore at her by accident, and then.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, my little darling, Ah, I think you should go back to your own bed tonight. And she just looked at us, looked us up and down, and went, okay, mummy, Oh, I'll go back to my bed.
Speaker 6: He knew something was up, and it wasn't just you know what, It's.
Speaker 4: The first time in her entire four years of life that halfway like that she's ever come into bed and then voluntarily left and gone back to her own bed.
Speaker 3: Didn't Matt know what was going on because you just made contact.
Speaker 2: Yes, he stopped as well.
Speaker 3: Figured I just.
Speaker 1: Wanted to know if maybe he didn't know because you saw it, then you know if you said, my little darling, it was a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we stopped like it was like it was a real freeze moment.
Speaker 6: You mean, was Matt confused if in the heat of the moment Laura called him.
Speaker 3: That's what I was worried about.
Speaker 2: Some questions there.
Speaker 4: I'm just worried about all the therapy I'm gonna have to pay for for my chilt. Like four, she might remember. Four is old enough to almost remember. I mean she's all was for four and two weeks.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, that's the best position to be caught in by your child because it could just be a cuddle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a cuddle. We told her we were wrestling. He was giving me, say, we'll cuddling. You don't have to go w w S. No, daddy's just giving mommy a tickle.
Speaker 6: WWE what's w w WW is the Wildlife Foundation?
Speaker 3: It could also be.
Speaker 2: The Wildlife very easily? Did you look a little bit like a Dave Attenboro documentary.
Speaker 1: She's going to go to school, the man mounts, the woman's in the best anyway.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't I got no advice from you. Thanks for that.
Speaker 3: You're on the wrong show. You think we're going to give you advice.
Speaker 5: That note.
Speaker 2: It's been a great show, guys.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: If you missed any of it, you can I podcast it on the iHeartRadio app. So it's to pick up. Well, and what are your up next? We'll see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 3: See you guys,