Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian No Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Everyone on this team, we all did some kind of awful work experience, didn't we It's a rite of passage, isn't it?
Speaker 1: A very boring week of work experience.
Speaker 3: I thought I had a cool work experience lined up. I did a guitar shop on Brunswick Street called Fredit Instruments. I was very excited to go to my work experience. Thought I'd be tuning up guitars, testing amplifiers, strumming away a week. I spent all five days in a back storeroom, no windows, crunching down cardboard boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, you'll know it. So you didn't even touch a guitar.
Speaker 3: Didn't see a guitar on the on the every morning on my way from the front door of the store, as I walked through out the backstoreroom that smelt like seaweed and our crunch boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to have.
Speaker 2: I think it was like an eighteen month waiting list for kids to do work experience in my old radio station. It was a big national radio station, and I used to feel so sorry.
Speaker 1: Day one. You see these kids say radio literally the it's actually cruel what they do. They wiled them into a studio.
Speaker 2: Can't believe I'm sure I'm going to be seeing you around me strugg and I'm like, I will never see you again. Anyway you're going to I'll see you. It's in the post room two days eight.
Speaker 1: You see these disheveled souls having seen sunlight three days?
Speaker 2: Are they feeding you?
Speaker 4: Speaking yourselves? I had a blast for my week.
Speaker 1: Did you straight into a newsroom? I'm guessing yeah.
Speaker 4: I went into radio stations. It was really funny.
Speaker 2: I was your life is basically born than you're doing the news. It was out over maybe half an hour.
Speaker 3: Every time you tell your story, you get younger.
Speaker 4: Well, I was about sixteen and I was at months. Yeah, that's right. I was at two a Y and Aubrey, and there was two darling old men in the newsroom. They're about eighteen not out, and they sent me to cover this court story. I was sixteen. I was like in year ten and Paul, one of the guys, handed me the keys to his car and he goes, there you go, you can just drive down, I said, Paul, I'm sixteen.
Speaker 3: I can't try.
Speaker 1: Wow. Now that is a great work experience.
Speaker 2: Patsy, genuinely, that is the only great work experience story I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: The rest someone like Jack and Ire. You're in a window's room doing so destroying work. I tell you what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a wake up call because I remember the same as you. It's just crushing boxes. You're doing just mean your stuff, thinking I can't, this can't be the life. And so I felt like a scene in a musical that in any musical I've seen, there's always a moment where someone goes.
Speaker 1: This is not the life for me.
Speaker 2: That's everyone at someone doing a god awful week of work experience. All right, So we want to hear your work experience stories today. Even this guy we had yesterday, Matt, this should have been a great one work experience with the drummer from men at work.
Speaker 5: And then I did work experience with the drummer for men at work. I ended up washing their cars and cleaning the toilets.
Speaker 2: There you go, That is what work experience was the experience of the drudgery of work.
Speaker 1: Nine four one one O four three.
Speaker 2: We want to hear your work experience stories, the ones like Jack can I. I don't know if we get another one by half Fate that's actually got a great one like Patsy where we were giving the keys to the car.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Christian No Carl Show podcast. Grant morning, how are you, Christian.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Grant, So tell me about your work experience.
Speaker 5: I was in the control tail at Aravian Airport.
Speaker 6: In there looking at the planes, and then one afternoon I ended up down in the with the fire stations that was at the airport in those days, and driving around in the fire truck and actually driving it myself.
Speaker 1: Give it that plane.
Speaker 2: It's not that they trained pilots there, so you've got you've got too many.
Speaker 1: Train not fire kids as well.
Speaker 3: Now, Grant, we can't let you fly the plane, but okay, have a go in the fire truck.
Speaker 1: Nuf out. There's the keys. Grant. That's brilliant. Thank you very much and cool buddy. Have a good morning.
Speaker 7: Thanks you.
Speaker 1: Amanda. Good morning.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Amanda, And tell me about your work experience.
Speaker 8: I did a week with the CFA, so spent a week there. We washed the trucks, tried out the apparatuses, and on the last day got called out to a fire and got to ride in the back seat. Only to get halfway there untild. We weren't needed, so we turned around.
Speaker 7: And came back.
Speaker 1: But the excitement for a while, so.
Speaker 8: Close yet so far?
Speaker 1: A ride along that been incredible. At least they were up, Yeah it was.
Speaker 8: It was good fun. Yeah, lots of fun.
Speaker 3: Did you get to go down the pole or is.
Speaker 8: That just no?
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't that.
Speaker 8: There was just a CFA one didn't have the pole and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Do they still have the I don't know.
Speaker 8: There's a there's a training center out of Craigieburn where I used to work, the one there and they've got all the towers and the poles and stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you know what, they can make a nice little side money turning those fire stations into like an amusement part. Sometimes I'd pay five bucks to have a little side down that pole with the poles. Your brain right now, I know, I know it's a bit quiet at home. You know that could be.
Speaker 1: A strip pole. What sorry, he's got a lot going on right now.
Speaker 2: You didn't work experience, you could have a go and knock yourself out on the fire.
Speaker 1: Amanda, great call, Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Have a good one nine.
Speaker 2: Four one four one O four three, you're right over there.
Speaker 5: The Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: And we'll get about strippers. Okay, Jack hand on the five minutes he tod, I said.
Speaker 3: You one of the dogs.
Speaker 1: Test. I still think i'd like to hear that story. Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that I'm getting on email later today, so I've got something to look for to at lunch. We'll get some great stories today about your work experience.
Speaker 1: Frank.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, there you go on.
Speaker 1: We're good. Frank, welcome on board. Thank you if you go, Frank.
Speaker 7: Okay, So basically, on the Monday morning in nineteen eighty nine, I was fifteen year old kid, got a job at Maya in the computer department. So I was telling the good old commodore Amiga. If you guys remember that I do. Yeah, basically yeah, So on the Monday, I've got I owned one. I owned one at the time as well, so I was selling heats of them from Monday through to Wednesday and my manager was loving it. But then the other two sales reps were dying because I was smashing their sales records. So the Thursday morning I actually go to back to my upstairs and they give me a form of transfer form, and they sent me to the women's department's shoes departments and I I was selling shoes for two days. So I ended up downstairs because they didn't want me to break the sales records.
Speaker 2: This is incredible, Frank, I love the idea about the junior sales legends.
Speaker 1: They still talk about it to this day.
Speaker 2: God Goud just knows what he's out there selling now, NFTs or something whatever it is.
Speaker 3: That boy could sell computer like noone else.
Speaker 1: Struggled with a shoe though, But computers.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's actually a good sales gimmick? A young kid talks to you about computers.
Speaker 1: You trust them, Yes, they should have just kept you in there.
Speaker 7: Well, look the manager love you. But I think on the day off, on his day off, those other two sales repstraates. Yes, yeah, So basically I slashed their records and they couldn't. They were just dying that that I was.
Speaker 1: I was beating their records up, crushing them.
Speaker 7: I ended up serving women selling shoes. I had no idea what a stileno was.
Speaker 2: Frank, what do you now, By the way, because you've got the gift of the gap, I'd buy whatever you're selling.
Speaker 7: Mate, I'm actually a hairdresser, so I've been made a business and manner has been running for twenty five years.
Speaker 1: And what about is Frankie's hair It's.
Speaker 7: God's good hair bit chick Tony in McLeod's love it.
Speaker 2: I love a good old school hairby and you obviously Frank Chony. Yes, I am pleasure to meet you, missed Chacony my friends.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much?
Speaker 1: And where abouts are you in Melbourne?
Speaker 7: In McLeod, McLeod.
Speaker 2: Gotcha in McLeod. Okay, that's why hair By Checony you got to come in.
Speaker 7: For a haircut. I'll look after you.
Speaker 1: You got any cold holes out of the back as well?
Speaker 6: Mine?
Speaker 1: Amiga or sixty four?
Speaker 7: You know what, I won't say any women's shoes.
Speaker 1: I'm worry. Frank lovely chatting to you. Okay, you have a good day.
Speaker 7: Cheers, cheers, guys.
Speaker 1: He was a joy. James morning.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 1: Is this the testical guy?
Speaker 2: Okay, James, good morning? Sorry James carey work experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was about sixteen. I was sent to a travel agent in the little town that I lived in Queenslane, and the guy was known to be a bit dodgy. Actually, I think it might have been Frank. He sounded like Frank.
Speaker 2: And no, hey, A might to Coney, I won't have this kind of talk on the show.
Speaker 5: Well, this is how it is. I didn't make this story up, so some of it. Some of it's made up. And on the first day I turned up, he goes, i'll bring you passport tomorrow. We'll see if we can find something interesting for you to do. Oh, okay, I did that. I've bought the passport to work and the first thing in the morning, he's taken me in the car who's gone to Brisbane airport and he's given me twenty bucks and he goes, you'll need this when you get to New Zealand. I want, are you joking?
Speaker 8: Mate?
Speaker 5: So sure enough, I jump on this slide from Brisbane to Melbourne. I had to work out how to get around the airport to get to the international side. I made my flight in time, and all I had was this box. He goes, oh, you're going to take this box. There's going to be a guy there in christ Church as soon as you get out through customs. I just give it to him and he'll give you another one and just bring that back.
Speaker 1: That's all you got to do, shot James.
Speaker 5: No, nothing, suss, No, it's fine. Frank said it was all right.
Speaker 2: It's a wig in there, I swear, Oh James, that is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Oh well. The worst bit was I spent all my money at Brisbane Airport because I didn't realize how expensive it was the airport, so because I think it was my second ever trip to an airport. And when I got to New Zealand, I got I got out. I gave this box to this bloke and then he gave me another one and I couldn't get out without paying a ten dollar departure attack. So I had to go back and find this guy to then pay a ten dollars departure attack. And I'm like, I got on the same plane that I left on and the host he was like, oh you are right, yeah, yeah, I just y, yeah, I don't mention that, just get on the plane. I told her what I had to do, and she.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a scene from the Tony Soprano so a pre col movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wasn't. I was packing it all the way home. I was under street and not to open the box. And anyway, I got I got home, the hate that was on the flight. They said, yeah, no, don't don't tell anyone to about this thory. I'm going off and straight through and.
Speaker 2: This is like the only like the first two days wiping the rest of this week.
Speaker 5: Oh that's another day, mate, I'll tell you that little riding on one.
Speaker 2: They had to go and do a hit on someone who had paid on time. James outstanding, cool, well done, Thank you all right, take it easy well, Christian know Connell's Show podcast