Speaker 1: Laura, come on, oh one day, we are back again. What's so funny, Laura, Oh okay, we were just talking about this, but I really want to get to the bottom of it. He's Lady Gaga engaged again for the fifth time.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what everyone's saying, because she mouthed it at the Games over in Europe. She said she was introducing to.
Speaker 1: But did she even because if you actually listen to the audio, there's like a whistle blowing at the same time.
Speaker 3: It could be anything. But people have absolutely taken to.
Speaker 4: This, and apparently she did, because she has gone out to say that she's she's engaged a lot because she's such a nice person.
Speaker 3: That was soone asked her.
Speaker 4: She can't say no, so she's like, look, people ask me and I can't say no, So this is why I've been engaged.
Speaker 2: I'm an idiot. I don't think that's a nice person.
Speaker 1: She was engaged five times, nothing wrong with that, But imagine only being engaged that many times, not because you're in love, but because you have like an avoidant conflict personality and you can't say no.
Speaker 4: Just the backhanded compliment to the fiance that's in the stands watching on.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I love you too. Maybe she's prepping him for him to not be the fiance.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably not the option. I don't Well, Britt, you're engaged. Do you say my fiance when you're referring to your boyfriend, bend partner, band fiance be.
Speaker 4: Thank you for bringing that up, which I am in fact engaged, and I do.
Speaker 3: Refer to him as fiance.
Speaker 4: I have waited thirty six years to throw that term around. There is no way I'm going to continue to use partner when it is fiance.
Speaker 3: There's nothing against it.
Speaker 1: I still call my husband my boyfriend just for satirical reasons, but yeah, Matt is my boyfriend and will be into where Ninny.
Speaker 2: I call my boyfriend my partner just so I feel superior to everyone around me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I use partner when it was boyfriend. I don't like boyfriend. I always said partner, But when you escalate, for sure, one hundred percent it goes to fiance.
Speaker 2: Also, I've just googled it. She's had three fiancees, not five, So sorry to the Gaga fans. Defamation or is like she says yes to anyone that asks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, four hundred times. She's been engaged.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start the pick up for your Monday next pick Up put Down. It's how we start the show every week, the big news stories from the weekend YouTube Britain Laura are deciding whether or not a conversation continues into the week or it's snuffed out, never to be spoken of again. Overnight we had an Australian at the games over in Europe, sent home, canceled, left, told to leave. It's actually very big news. We're gonna unpack it after this on the pickup. Welcome, it is Monday afternoon. We need to do this pick up. I'm going to give you, Britain Laura, a topic that the country have been discussing all week. It is your choice whether or not we continue talking about it or we we never talk about it again. Either we pick it up or we put it down.
Speaker 3: We do it every week twice a week now. It's been such a fan favorite. Yeah, what have you got this week? All right?
Speaker 2: Pick up put down? Celindion performing over the weekend in Europe.
Speaker 3: Pick it up of your have to.
Speaker 1: But also I want to admit I didn't watch the opening game, so I don't feel like I have enough skin in the game to comment on how amazing it is.
Speaker 3: But I'm glad she's made a comeback.
Speaker 4: I don't think you need to have watched it to just know how amazing Celindion is.
Speaker 3: Full stop.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was watching like this highlight reel that someone.
Speaker 4: Had put together of her over the years from when she first started performing, and by the end of it, this is like a ninety second reel. I was in tears, like her originally saying I just want to perform to like a full room of people like this is when she started off. And then I was like, if only you knew what you were going to be. And then when she got sick, she started to cry and she was like I will perform again, like this isn't the end for me. And I was like, oh, sign feel deliver and take my money.
Speaker 3: You got me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's cute. I will say the accent is deeply confusing. I'm like, oh, this is French. Then I google it she's a Canadian.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what, she has a very unusual accent.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for anyone who doesn't know when we say she's sick, she's got stiff person.
Speaker 3: Is it stiff? Person syndrome or disease.
Speaker 1: But it's it's taken her out of performing for a very long time. Now that she came out and she got paid two million dollars to do it.
Speaker 2: So okay, she's from Quebec, she's French Canadian, so there's that French input.
Speaker 3: She really lent into the friend.
Speaker 2: Hey, pick up, put down, britt Laura, possible signs of life being discovered on Mars.
Speaker 3: How do you put that down? Pick it up? Sure? Would you believe it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess that's the question.
Speaker 1: Well the big question is And now I'm gonna sit here in the corner and put my tin full of hat ocs. It makes me sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist. I just don't believe that we are the only planet that has life, Like there has to be another planet out there that maybe it's a tiny little microorganism of the bacteria or something, but there has to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The rover which is on Mars found a rock that they believe is sign of life on Mars.
Speaker 5: Have listened and NASA's perseverance rover may have made an extraordinary discovery signs of ancient life on Mars. The six wheeled robotic explorer has found a rock that may harbor fossilized microbes that lived on the red planet billions of years ago. Samples will be sent back to Earth so scientists can have a really good look.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a lot of Maybes in there, wasn't it may have found a rock that may have signs of maybe mi bio that we might be able to test.
Speaker 2: Wally Darli was loving that the background was.
Speaker 3: The Project Loved Space.
Speaker 1: They afford the sound effects, so it's just Wally Arli, Project Love Space.
Speaker 3: They talk about space all the time. Have you not noticed this? For every single week there is there is something about space. They love space. Interesting. I think it might be a road McManus, he really enjoyed the moon.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Finally, pick up put down the commentator that was sacked over sexist comments about the Australian relay team.
Speaker 1: Pick it up, picking up of the fact that we put him down.
Speaker 2: Bob Ballard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Bob Ballard he off the back of the one hundred meter relay, the four by one hundred meter relay. He made such a crazy comment the women were taking a little bit longer to get from the pool to the podiums to accept their award after winning gold medal, and he made the comment that maybe they were just doing their makeup, you know, women doing their mate.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't even that, Laura. They weren't making their way to the podium. They were on the podium with their gold medals. They were having their moment, and he was telling them that the moment was too long. He was like, get off the podium, basically by saying, oh, you know, women just doing their makeup. No, Actually, they're basking their glory of the fact that they are the untouchables and the best swim team in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's outrageous, isn't it.
Speaker 1: But you know what I think is really quite amazing is that we live in a day and age now where that like that would have just kind of slipped under the radar back in the day, but now because of social media and the holding to account, it means that he's been let go from being a commentator at the Games.
Speaker 2: It's very Parisian, isn't it to be? Like get away goodbye?
Speaker 1: Well, because also it's supposed to be the most equal games that have ever happened, so there's as many female athletes as there are male athletes, so I think there has to be a no tolerance for this sort of misogynistic commentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree, I love it.
Speaker 7: Goodbye Bob Well in other years, guys, it is International Lipstick Day, so we have the Look Good, Feel Better and Yeah, Ruchy Paige, she's coming in after the break to chat all things lipstick.
Speaker 2: As we broadcast, Ladies. It's a very special Monday, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Is that why you've won your lipstick today, Mitch, she is doing celebration of my back pocket.
Speaker 3: No, today is a very special day.
Speaker 4: It's International Lipstick Day, and to celebrate, Revlon is teaming up with Chemist Warehouse and a Delta Goodroom Foundation to raise funds for Look Good, Feel Better, a charity that helps women face cancer with confidence. We are going to be speaking to a very special woman named Ruschie Paige. She is a Look Good, Feel Better ambassador and a Revlon Bold Beauty partner.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is such an important campaign and it is running from today until the seventh of August, so two dollars from every super lustrous lipstick purchase goes towards Look Good, Feel Better.
Speaker 2: It is Rushie Paige, Hey, Rushie.
Speaker 3: Hello, thank you so much for having me Hi, Rushie.
Speaker 1: Now, all the funds that are coming through for this, it's for the Look Good, Feel Better Program. Can you tell us a little bit around why this is so important?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So, the Look Good, Feel Better Program is a free service for people undergoing cancer treatment, and it is such a transformational organization because he's really changing people's lives.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: The program does facilitate workshops that basically help you reach connect with your confidence, and for people who are going through such a dark and really quite a challenging, vulnerable time, this is really quite significant for them to just be in a space where you're understood, where you don't have to explain yourself. Then just really sit there and just play with make up and learn about beauty and rebuild your confidence.
Speaker 2: Chie Well, what is Revlon doing? Because I hear they're donating two dollars and if you purchase a special lipstick, certain.
Speaker 8: Lipstick, that's right, So two dollars from the super Lustrous lipstick from Kennis Warehouse. Are we going to contribute to the Look Good, Feel Better Program so that it remains free and also to basically give those confidence kits to the people undergoing cancer treatments.
Speaker 3: So cool and Ritchie, why is this so important to you?
Speaker 4: Has cancer like affected you directly or your family?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So unfortunately, And I feel like a lot of people unfortunately have experienced this as well. But cancers affected my family and it's also affected my fiancee family directly. And it's you know, I learned about my fiancee's mother who her journey alone with confidence. It's it's something that really transformed my mindset and how you approach beauty and how you understand confidence in itself. That's why this is so important to me. It's about reconnecting with it and feeling like yourself again.
Speaker 4: Okay, Richie, you're very into makeup and beauty and fashion. Can you tell us what is going to be the color of the season. Are we going to be going bold red? So we're going to be going nudes?
Speaker 7: Well, you know what I feel like?
Speaker 8: Fashion, beauty, everything like that. It's all about how you best represent yourself and how you choose to present yourself in your most authentic way. Me personally, I love a bold bred lip. You can never never get me away from that.
Speaker 2: And I write that one down so bold readily tomorrow's bold I was a subtle readily.
Speaker 3: Yours was a subtle Nordemich, wasn't it today?
Speaker 2: But I text you early today?
Speaker 1: But also I think they sent so sous one thing that I think so many people take for granted because when people are going through cancer treatment, obviously it is so harrowing as it is just going through that treatment. But I think it's very rare that people talk about the physical effects that it has on people's confidence, and especially for women, like so many women tie their identity to losing their head.
Speaker 3: Probably affects more women than what it would do men.
Speaker 1: And I'm just saying that subjectively, but I think this is such a beautiful initiative because so many people would have their confidence rocked by cancer.
Speaker 2: There are also those little things, and Rishie, you can probably speak to this that you wouldn't even think of. You think of a cancer diagnosis, You think of a the big C getting the diagnosis, calling your family getting the treatment. Then maybe the hair loss you think of. But the little things like learning how to reapply makeup when you might look physically different than you did six months ago.
Speaker 3: And how it changes your skin.
Speaker 1: It changes so much yeah, it really doing amazing stuff.
Speaker 2: Rushie Page joining us here. It is International Lipstick Day. Head into chemist warehouse by one of those Revlon what is it super lustrous lipsticks?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right here.
Speaker 2: There we go go by one two dollars we paid for by Revlin's. Such good stuff. Thank you so much, Rushie, Paige, so good to have you.
Speaker 3: Thanks Rushie, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: I had one of the best weekends I have had in a long time. And I hope my fiance Ben doesn't hear that, because I was like, you just get engaged.
Speaker 2: Y got engaged.
Speaker 3: But outside of that, like that's a life highlight.
Speaker 4: But I used to live over in London and I used to live with a good friend of mine there for a couple of years and we've been friends for probably twenty years. And on Thursday, I get a call Thursday afternoon, so she still lives in London, she's been there for like fifteen years now. But I get a call from her at probably three o'clock on Thursday afternoon and just a message.
Speaker 3: She's like, hey, what are you doing tonight? I said not much. She goes your home and I said, yeah, I am. I was like, what are you doing? You want to call?
Speaker 4: And she said, oh, I'm on my way and I was like, what what do you mean you're on your way? And she's like, I got a last minute flight from London. I'll be there in a few hours. And I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, you want you coming to my house? And she's like, well I can, and she's like I want to.
Speaker 3: I was like, you're right. So four hours later she's at my house and she's been here for five days.
Speaker 4: So I just had this like really last minute, no notice, didn't know what was coming visit, and she's been It's been like the best five days that I've had in you go.
Speaker 2: You are happy.
Speaker 3: I'm loving it. But also it feels very punchy.
Speaker 1: You could have had anything on in those five days, Like I don't think that there's been five days recently where someone could say, Hey, I'm just gonna come and stay at your house and hang out with you every second, clear your calendar.
Speaker 3: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: I also think this is menic behavior, This is insane. I was so mad if a friend said to me, I'm coming over tonight. I haven't seen you in years and I'm staying there. I'm staying.
Speaker 3: I hate that this is so normal to me.
Speaker 4: And in her defense, she didn't message and say I'm coming in twenty minutes and I'm staying. She was like, I decided to come last minute, so I'll just go to a hotel, but it'd be great to catch up with you. And of course I was like, there is no way you're getting a hotel like you were staying at my house.
Speaker 3: But also even if I opened the front door and she.
Speaker 4: Was standing there without any notice, I would steal froth it and let her stay my house.
Speaker 3: Like there's no part of me that thinks that that is that is weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I'm past the point in my life where I enjoy having visitors just drop around like I've got two little kids, Like it has never clean, it is never organized, and so then if someone just pops around, I feel the immense pressure that I have to run around the house and make it look like no one lives there.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't want it. Don't come over unless you ask, if you tell me that you're coming over.
Speaker 2: The same and my doorbell goes off unless I know it's ubera it's the anxiety that fills my body. Who is that I didn't know? I did invite anyone over. I need to plan. I need at least seven business days to plan.
Speaker 1: No, I don't need that much time, but I just want like an hour's note. Unless it is your absolute best friend. I think everyone has some people that are within their inner circle that they can rock up at their house and it doesn't matter if it's a mess. But apart from that person, like, I need the notice.
Speaker 6: What did you do?
Speaker 3: I love surprises. I just love surprises. No, we didn't know. That is not we walk down memory lane. But you know, I was thinking of a time that I went.
Speaker 4: To surprise a guy that I was like, very loosely seen, and I thought it was going in a different place than it was going. He was living in New York. This was when I was in London, and he was giving me all the signals that it was a go ahead. So I remember being like, because I'm such a romantic, I remember being like, I'm going to surprise him. So I flew to New York to surprise him, organized with his best friend, and he literally literally we hung out for a few days, probably because he felt like he had to. Then he goes, this is not for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're inside. That is not normal behavior.
Speaker 4: And he made me think that he said that he loved me. I would not have gone if I didn't think that.
Speaker 3: I was very very welcome. We hate him, he'd sent me like news. Okay, I knew my hat.
Speaker 2: An hour right. I think I think this would backfire more often than it would succeed in BRIT's case. Give us a call here at the pickup. When did this backfire? And did it backfire because I or was it a success? Because I just don't believe that happens.
Speaker 1: No, just if you're going to come around to my house, at least give me twenty four hours notice so I can put the kids in a cupboard and clean up.
Speaker 3: And bring dinner, Yes, bring a dish.
Speaker 2: Then I'll open the door. All right, we'll take your Call's next on the pickup? Where did the surprise backfire? We're taking your calls here on the show because Britt had a friend show up out of nowhere and Laura and I think it's so weakd she got.
Speaker 3: Out of nowhere, she turned up from London on.
Speaker 1: It's not I think sun Dye it's nice. How like accommodating and welcoming you are. I just know that my house and my life is in such a constant state of disarray that I can't handle unannounced visitors totally also too much.
Speaker 2: I had a friend message me this weekend who messaged me on Friday saying, hey, you want to get coffee Sunday? I needed at least Wednesday.
Speaker 3: That's a bit mark. Guys, I live alone. I'll take what I can get.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sarah's giving us a call. Hey Sarah, when did when did seeing your friend backfire?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 6: I was surprising my friend with a baby shower, but I accidentally invited someone from her work and I didn't know they hated each other. But she still showed up.
Speaker 3: Why did she show up? It's so ballsy? And did she bring a present?
Speaker 6: She actually did those that was nice. There was a basket with like, yeah, doubles and things in it. But yeah, she came anyway.
Speaker 1: Isn't it one of those situations where maybe the person from work doesn't realize that she's hated, so she came thinking they were friends, and your friend's like, no, actually I don't like that girl.
Speaker 3: It was news to her.
Speaker 2: Was it public goss in the office that these girls hated each other or was it kind of like you know.
Speaker 6: No, they were almost like rivals. So they both work in sales, so that's like a maybe like a friendly rival.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want that commission. That's tough, all right, Bella, Hey, when did this happen to you? Did did the surprise backfire? Yeah?
Speaker 8: So I would try to surprise my parents because you know, I hadn't died.
Speaker 4: And see them very.
Speaker 6: Often, and I used my spare key to get in the house and they thought I was a rubbert, so they called the police.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, very dramatic.
Speaker 4: I mean, was it like four am in the morning and were you making racket?
Speaker 3: Like why would you just call the police?
Speaker 6: No, it was like in the middle of the day. But they are so paranoid, so they just picked up the phone and I had to run in and grab it.
Speaker 2: Hello, that's so funny, you know, It's just hit me. I had a surprise party thrown for me at sixteen, and it backfired in my face. I looked like the idiot because sixteen is when you get your driver's license, so I'd got my l's that week this is like a Friday, and my mom was like, let's go for a driving little test, you know, or a driving day out. You've got your ls go for a drive. So I'm like, that's nice. So I get in the car with my mom terrible driver, like I am stressed. I hit the curb like I get pissed off. What I didn't realize was that, well mom took me out on the drive. All my friends and family were flooding the house to surprise me when I came back. But I pulled in the driveway after the driving lesson, and you know, I'm very moody, and I was pissed off at my mum that she made me drive.
Speaker 3: You were stoppy, Oh, I was stoppy.
Speaker 2: So I slammed the door. Bitch. Wait wait. She wanted to open the door and go surprise and she's like, no, you wait, You've ruined my day. Mom. Yeah, I opened the door walking, and I'm like, thanks a lot, Mom. Everyone goes surprise.
Speaker 3: It's embarrassing. That's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I just remembered too. This is going viral at the moment.
Speaker 4: But there was like a girl that was heavily pregnant and her step mom wanted to throw her a gender reveal party, and she had said fifty times.
Speaker 3: I don't want I'm not doing a gender reveal. I don't like them, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 4: So like she knew the answer, right, She knew what she was having already, but she didn't want to announce it. So she gets home one day and the stepmom had thrown her a surprise one anyway, like this huge thing.
Speaker 3: So she walks in, looks at it, crack the shit. She goes, it's a boy. You can all go home, and then walked out.
Speaker 1: I feel like the moral of this is that some people love surprises, and a lot of people I think that's probably the takeaway from this whole situation.
Speaker 3: Send a text message is why we've got mobile phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check her heads up? Hey, he heads up? No surprises. Well and what are your up next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going home. That shouldn't come as a surprise.
Speaker 2: But we're back tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you missed the show, you could podcast it on the iHeartRadio app. Just search to pick up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm out of here, see yeah, see ga