Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast us that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we get our little team together to celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community, Misters Greed. She is going to be sharing her favorite money wins and confessions from the community. Miss beck Sayed is going to be sharing her broke tips. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about how to work out if you'll have your hex step forever and something that you slid into our dms about whether you should pay for an accident that happened while you were helping a friend out with something they maybe should have been paying a professional form. But before we get there, have you new year and you year? You meet guys? How are we feeling? Are we? Yeah? It's twenty twenty thrive, which is kind of funny because it's only good in audio, so we're going to be using it on the podcast a lot. But if you write it down it looks like two O two thrive and then people are quite confused. Yes, oh, just taking so much? Yeah, you too hard? Too hard? Anyway?
Speaker 4: How are we?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really good?
Speaker 4: I've I feel it's like there's something about starting afresh that is like it doesn't mean anything, like it's the same. It's just like, you know, it's the same week, Like it's like Tuesday's last.
Speaker 2: It's new, it's new, it's fresh. It feels like there's a fucial line in the sand. And that's the most annoying thing in the world, right, Like you could start new anytime, and we always say like there's no time like the present. Well that's why do it when you're ready. If you're like, oh my gosh, I really want to get my money life together or I really want to change, like just do it, just get it done.
Speaker 4: But like, oh, the motivation levels right now much higher, Like imagine starting something at four point thirty on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Weird, weird, get it and we should we should, like do you know what? I also see it as the me that I want to become. She doesn't wait totally the me that I want to become. She doesn't wait for things the me that I currently am. She does.
Speaker 4: So I need the new and she is welcome here exactly the new year energy.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Ha you done you board, Jessica, done my vision board.
Speaker 4: I've reviewed.
Speaker 5: I write my goals in my phone like my resolutions, goals whatever you want to call them for the yeah, my phone every year, so I've reviewed last year's, made this year's. I sprinkleaned my hout like was feeling for good.
Speaker 2: Question is the Christmas tree down?
Speaker 4: Of course it is?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is so depressing, Jessica. I have to leave mine down until I have an argument with my husband about it being up in February.
Speaker 4: So what are you excited about right now for the new year. Yeah, she's on the money.
Speaker 2: Really obviously, I'm excited to just.
Speaker 4: What am I excited? I'm alrs.
Speaker 5: The next holiday is a Valentine's Day, So right now Valentine's Day, baking, Valentine's decorator.
Speaker 4: You know we're right.
Speaker 2: On a cycle. Do you know what? Now is the time to book in your Valentine's dinner? Like, Beck, you're a romantic. It is so hard to get a Valentine's Day dinner booking, so like now it's the time to shine ate.
Speaker 4: No way, someone else is cooking on Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: Are you not cooking for somebody on Valentine's Day cooking?
Speaker 4: I'm not getting booking anywhere, you know, Okay, okay, Park, it's sun, it's grass, it's sweet romance.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I need a fancy dinner, Like I want to be wined and I want to be dying. And I don't ask for that any other time of the year. I don't. I just don't simply don't care. But I want to go out for Valentine's Day. I want to be treated like a pretty princess. Like that's really lame, but yep, like all of my feminist goals go out the window. I need flowers, I need to go out for dinner. I need to be told that I'm the prettiest princess that ever walked this planet on Valentine's Day, and I think that's valet I don't even care if it's tacky. I am a commercial Dreamwe rejoicing more Victoria Devines in this world. But let's get into it because New Year knew me. But we are still harping on about our five star review use because they are so fun. This week, I have one for you, and I feel like it sets the tone. Well, are you ready? It's from Natalie Haya. This is the mood we're taking into twenty twenty five or twenty twenty three. You ready? You girls are guaranteed to light up my day no matter my mood, particularly if I've been feeling down. Your cheery voices always make me feel better. Not only do you come up with the facts and the helpful tips and tricks, you come with a whole lot of empathy and genuine support as well, and that really shines through. This is so nice, But Victoria, you are a literal ray of sunshine in human form. And such a great role model for women. Not to mention, of course, your fabulous co hostesses Beck and Jess. Together, you guys make an amazing team, perfectly curated to make us feel uplifted, seen, heard, and educated. Love you all and so grateful for what you done too.
Speaker 4: Heart emojis they're so sweet, Natalie Ever, Yeah, yeah, maybe feel Oh my god, totally and like honestly feeling seen and heard two of I feel like the most important things so.
Speaker 2: And I feel like our community does that for us as well. Really yeah, the second I read that, I was like, Oh, that's how I feel about our community. I feel like I go there and anything that we're struggling with or like wanting to chat about, everyone's like, yeah, girl.
Speaker 4: What is it really like that? It's so nice.
Speaker 2: It's like when you call a friend and you're like what should I wear? I don't know and they're like, I don't care, come as you and you're like nice, exactly. But I love this and I feel like we're going to carry this energy past January.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think we have been equipped with all the tools we have been and we will continue to equip you with even more tools this year. You just wait, this so much in store. I didn't call it twenty twenty thrive for nothing, But Miss Jess Bricci community money wins and confessions, what do you bring into the table this fancy new year already?
Speaker 5: Firstly, I've got a lot of on theme with you know, refreshing, reviewing, all on brand, correct, all the things we should be doing at the moment. So firstly from Kendall, she said she realized that the RSPCA was advertising a reduced rate on pet insurance that was lower than what she's currently being charged. She called up to query it and she's been given the reduced.
Speaker 4: Rate and three months for free.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: How good is that?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 5: Next, I've got money in from Audrey who's flying with Virgin to Brisbane next year. It's a round trip and she's used points from her flybys and credit card to adults and a ten year old flying totally for free.
Speaker 4: WHOA how good is that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money win from April, she said, money win. She managed to score a free school uniform. She sold her previous uniform second hand, it was in really good condition, and then she managed to find an equally awesome condition uniform at.
Speaker 4: The school shops. Okay, crazy expensive.
Speaker 5: I now understand why parents are like, buy this blazer that's ten sizes too big.
Speaker 2: That okay, So I confession New Year confession. Apologies to my mum. This happened in grade seven. Actually it would have been grade six when I was picking my grade seven blazer. The tantrum I had in the uniform shop because I didn't want the blazer you wanted me to have and I wanted the well fitted one. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we get it loas and just get like the same colored.
Speaker 5: No logo ours had to be had to be logoed whatever. They were very particular at our school, like I see, very privileged.
Speaker 2: I went to a Catholic school, so like the blazer was like the thing beck. If we were seen outside of our school, so like after school with down the shops, not wearing our blazer, immediate detention. It's so crazy, really immediate rule. If you were seen outside of school and you were wearing your school dress without a blazer. Done, you were done. Seems so portrayed to get written up and people would like dip it off as well, that's me. Like you yet called to the office and then be like, oh, mister so and so from such and such as class saw you at the coals and you were wearing your blazer. Well and you were just growing a jumper.
Speaker 4: Oh well, how yes, you know, not by us, but someone will.
Speaker 2: And it won't be yes, but she'll threaten it really angrily.
Speaker 5: No, our legacy was we had a winter in a summer uniform, and so the girls winter and summer uniforms were both skirts. You couldn't wear pants or shorts. And so our friend group legacy was we petitioned and girls at the school can now wear pants.
Speaker 2: Really, I love that. I remember it was the biggest drama in the entire world when one of the girls was like, I'm not comfortable in a skirt and wanted to wear the pants the salad, So she just bought them and started wearing them. Riot actually insane. Also the time, and this is probably not what my ex school wants to be perpetuated, the time that they suspended kid from my class because he came to school with a shaved head and you weren't allowed a shaved head at our school because like part of the uniform was like your hair had to be a minimum of two centimeters long or something for the boys, right wild. But he had a shaved head because he'd raised money for cancer.
Speaker 4: Oh really, yeah I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they like. And even if they didn't know that, and they called him to the office, like what is he going to sit there and not say anything, he would have been like, dude, I shaved my head on the weekend to raise money for leukemia, Like be for real. And they still did it and it made the news so good. Not to mention the time that one of the ex teachers married one of the students. Oh yeah, that was good. I will send you the links.
Speaker 4: This school, Oh my god, this is jess school.
Speaker 5: Was catholicing thoughts and prayers to everyone going back to school.
Speaker 4: We needed you to elaborate after.
Speaker 2: Jesse, I'll let you know, Jessicat, what else have you got next.
Speaker 5: I've got money in from Samantha who said money balanced. She had a money lost. She bought a Costcame membership, which would argue that.
Speaker 2: That's not a money, that's an investment in your like that's an activity, she.
Speaker 5: Said, money counterbalance, Like she only left with a pizza and a hot chook.
Speaker 4: So I'm choky.
Speaker 2: You know the hot chooks. They're like four ninety nine at Costco.
Speaker 5: Oh really, that's a good deal. That's a good deal. They lose what is it called they lose money?
Speaker 2: Money?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say they like lose money as soon as they leave the you know.
Speaker 2: Can't yeah, and I can't resell it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's already three ninety nine.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 4: Cost pizza is so good?
Speaker 5: If I had a membership, just go buy a cost Co pizza for dinner because they're so big anyway.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got a money win.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised Jessica doesn't have a Costcome membership.
Speaker 4: I'm shocked by that too.
Speaker 2: I'm horrified our friends have a Costcome membership, so we use that. There was always good.
Speaker 4: She's getting in the.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got money win from Amy, who said she didn't realize there was such a thing as Microsoft points, which I also had never So apparently you can earn points for doing things like using their native search engine, which is being and then you can then cash them in for gift cards. So apparently she's inadvertently earned herself enough points to get fifty bucks off her next Airbnb. Okay, so you just have to use bing apparently that's one of the ways I really diluted that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's.
Speaker 2: More, there's more to it, but like you have to use bing is it funny?
Speaker 4: I know that's the thing is that I remember well my.
Speaker 2: Story one time was like sorry, Microsoft, she's ten, but.
Speaker 4: Bing is her. You know, bing is the future. So I'm so sorry to anybody. It's called I did look it up.
Speaker 5: It's called Microsoft for rewards, so you can earn rewards by simply doing what you love to do.
Speaker 2: So I'm just trying to wrap my head around fly By, like I can't get Yes, that's.
Speaker 5: Incredible, though, if you want to stack on a new you know, point system, or if you're already being user, I'm sure there's people out there you can be earning.
Speaker 2: There, go show yourselves.
Speaker 5: And lastly, this week, I've got a money in from Meg who said money in.
Speaker 4: She's swopped from Teltra to Optors.
Speaker 5: She's on the exact same plan with the exact same data, but she's saving herself forty bucks a month.
Speaker 2: Money new phone plan.
Speaker 4: Yes, now is the time.
Speaker 2: Now it's the time time plan, new insurances. We are cleaning financial house, we're setting ourselves up for success if you got an email the same as me saying Apple took a subscription amount and you don't know what it's for.
Speaker 4: Now is the time? Yes, fix it, work out?
Speaker 2: Why figure it out?
Speaker 4: You are doing?
Speaker 2: Put your big girl pants on?
Speaker 4: All right? Well?
Speaker 2: Moving on, Beck, Yes, new year, new broke tip. What have you got?
Speaker 4: Okay? So I was thinking that when I first started broke tips in my brain, they were going to be unhinged. So I'm thinking week they have been happy, they could be slightly more unhinged up.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking and chips that nobody's ever going to do what exactly.
Speaker 4: But you know what's crazy is that I've always I had always done these things and didn't think that they were weird or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean anyway, So it's just like when people eat like the skin of the kiwi fruit bizarre, or like the tops of the strawberries, like the strawberries.
Speaker 4: What are you a hamster?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I feel like one, just on a hamster wheel tops tops of carrots.
Speaker 4: No, I couldn't if I tried.
Speaker 2: If you couldn't if you tried.
Speaker 4: So it's quite corky. What's the word like? Woody? Is it? It's fine yeah, that's true. Well i'll go, I'll start. I'll start right, fine, I don't eat that black bit at the end of the banana, if you guys do.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's unhinged that but you have to pull that out. No, no, the black bit at the end of the banana is where I draw my line bills. All right, So tell me about your broake tips.
Speaker 4: All that to say, I can't promise every single week they'll be unhinged, but this week they're a little bit unhinged. So this first one comes from MMn. This one is not unhinged, of course. I make a wish list on Carted and wait for things to go on sale. What is Carted and why haven't ever used it? I'm gonna start now. It's a plug in online, I believe so.
Speaker 5: They it's one of those platforms where you can it's really handed because you can link things you want. So it's great if you have people who go what do you want for your birthday? You can keep like a running list. Also very good for putting twenty four hours between you and you're spending. Yes, But the really good thing is it notifies you when things go on sale, so if you go Oh, I really want to dice an air up, but I don't want to pay full price for it. You put it in and then you get a notification if it finds it discounted anywhere, which is pretty clearly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great. So it's like it doesn't have to be on the website that you saved it. It could be anywhere on the web. Yeah, that's really cool, Thank you, amenda. This next one comes from B, who says if you sign up at Point of Fitness, you can bring a friend for free anytime during staffing hours, which I think is great and it doesn't seem like from what I'm reading. B says that it's not like it hasn't said this. Sorry, if I've inferred this. It's not like a kind of like a promotion or anything like that. It's just like an an ongoing can you could literally share a membership if they're a limit to how many friends you can limit to, well, yeah, because in my mind I'm like, well, surely people just split a gym membership and you know, yeah, you'd have to be smart about it though, because you'd have to go together, always, always together, and always do during staffed hours. So it's like I.
Speaker 2: Mean, that's where possible. That's possible, that's completely possible. What if you're in a relationship perfect.
Speaker 4: Perfect, you could conceivably be spending half price on a gym membership for I think that's a.
Speaker 2: Very good tip. Yeah, that is really good. That's good.
Speaker 4: So obviously this next one is mine. But my friend who I work with reminded me that this is something I actually used to do a lot so and I'm sure a lot of people do this. I feel like it was a trend back in the day at I e. Actually days ago that was wiry sandwich bag tires can hold a sandal together, fears genuinely, And I know that sounds dumb because like you just buy new sandals people metal its metal exactly.
Speaker 2: And also also they're changing all the sandwich ties to being cardboards, so this is.
Speaker 4: Going to be yes, well that's very true, that doesn't work out, but yes, yes, But also I was thinking, like when I first read his message, I was like, and then I thought of like when you get like a sandwich bag of ziploc.
Speaker 2: Ones, And I was like, oh, yeah, I guess you could do that, And so I thought we were talking about the like little wires like a little size twist.
Speaker 4: Tie and also the clippy. Yes, all I'm trying to is just forget about what people say, don't worry about social rules, the arbitrary. If there's a way to fix something, whether it's duct.
Speaker 2: Tape, oh, fixing some that is a good broke tip though, because how many of us just go, oh, I could never do that, but then you don't even try. Yeah, yeah, you can't do it. There's a YouTube tutorial for anything pure you can probably fix it totally. And I know if it's four.
Speaker 4: But anytime I would get like I actually did wear stockings in high school and sometimes they rip, I would literally color my leg in black.
Speaker 2: That yeah, totally, I still do.
Speaker 5: I'm doing that with my runners currently. My runners are like they're that mesh. And they started to tear really soon after I got them, and I was like, well, I'm not buying new one.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, mine did that too, But I sewed them back up.
Speaker 5: Oh my, it was very like holy, so I couldn't and then I just left it. And now there's literally like ten holes on my shoes and everyone looks at them and they're like why why Also socks instead of black, so instead wearing white socks and you could see them through I just started wearing black socks.
Speaker 2: Literally the story of honestly, this is a story of values, because miss Jessica Ricci, I know what you earn. I know what's in your savings account, and I know what you're disposable income hooks, like you can afford new shoes, but you're like that is not worth it. And I think that that is iconic totally.
Speaker 4: Your motto is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and if it is broken.
Speaker 5: Don't fix it with just use it.
Speaker 4: Just use it, Just use it. You know, you know what broke?
Speaker 5: Actually, so I'm getting so off topic, but personal anecdote. My we spoke up to the podcast my beloved Top Ofwar Rice my wear.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 5: So there's like it has the lid and there's two handles that clip down to the waid so the steam doesn't push the lid off.
Speaker 4: One of the handles broke. No, I'm still using it. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I love Yes, it would still work right, yeah once it's a little bit loose, But does it matter? Does the rice cook? Well? So far yes, not broken.
Speaker 4: That's what I totally you chuck. It just looks differing of water on top.
Speaker 2: I tried looking to find one I found on eBay. It was one hundred dollars. Absolutely, no, sir, No, So what is this? Is this just like a little shameless call out if anyone has an old tupware rice cooker by slide into Jessica's GMS with a fair price, okay, and she's she's probably going to invest in that, but she won't invest in her shoes.
Speaker 4: No, god, no, itally agree if it works, it works totally totally. And if you have new shoes that you want to give yess don't tell her but she doesn't want to. But the rice cook it definitely. Can you just put something heavy on top? No Ah, there's holes for the steam coming out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I'll look into it, look into it, we'll work it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, don't fix it completely. So let's go from really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be talking about what happens to your hex step if you're not going to be able to pay it off, Like are you going to be in hex step forever? And something that you slid into our dms about should you be paying for an accident that happened while you're helping a friend out with something that they maybe should have just been paying a professional for. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everyone.
Speaker 5: Let's take a listen to the first money dilemma of the year.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 2: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma, Victoria.
Speaker 3: You recently said on the podcast that there are some people who will just never pay off their hex. How do you work out if you're one of those people? I earn around sixty thousand dollars a year working part time, and I have a hex step of thirty thousand dollars. I'm wondering if I'm one of those people.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I did say that on the show, didn't I? I did? I back it up there are definitely some people who will never pay off their hex steps and that sounds terrifying, But I think we need to contextualize it a little bit as well, because in Australia our hex slash help loan scheme, while it doesn't have interest that gets added to it, it does have indexation. And if obviously there's been a lot of talk, like last year we were talking about how ridiculous the indexation was. It was that like seven point one percent, which was unhere, but on average over the last thirty years, the average help slash hex debt indexation sits at about two point seven percent, So like we can spread that across our lifetimes and use that as kind of like the average indexation rate, which could be interchanged if you really wanted to, with an interest rate. And in this situation, when it comes to debt repayment, we're just going to look at it as that's the interest rate that it's going to grow by. Now this community member has written in and said, hey, v I'm one of these people, Like I have a sixty thousand dollars income, I work part time, and I have a thirty thousand dollars hex. Now I'm going to assume that you earn that full sixty thousand dollars a year. That's like your part time income. It's not like pro rata. Just taking it as pace value thirty thousand dollars hex stet means that you are probably paying back each and every single year about six hundred dollars worth of your HEX debt, which I'm really sorry, means you will have your hex step for life. I'm going to open it up to you too before I give the solution or the conversation. How does that make you feel thinking that there are people in our community that are never going to pay off their hex debt, or that are always going to have this quote debt looming over them.
Speaker 5: Thankful that I didn't go to university.
Speaker 2: Like it pays to be uneducated by I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I think that it would annoy me knowing that the debt was there, and knowing that, like every year for the rest of your life, you're contributing whatever amount.
Speaker 2: Six hundred bucks a year at this point, yeah, which like.
Speaker 5: Is not a small amount of money, like especially when it's not or would I imagine it would feel like you're not putting a dent in one you You're like, oh, well, what am I just going to pay six hundred dollars and it's going to increase? Is it's indexed you know, every year for the rest of my life. That seems really annoying to me. I mean, I guess on the flip side, is it the cost of your education? Like you could make extra contribution. I don't like it, but we know that I don't love like debt makes me feel a little bit iicky, just generally, like because of my past experience with it, I don't love having it if I can avoid it. But it's like one of those things at the same time where at least it doesn't pass on to somebody else switch I think you're or somebody here. If I pass away, it's it's not going to become someone else's burden. But I mean, like, unless you want to make extra contributions, what can you do? Like all of these things that's like, well, well, you stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Speaker 4: Totally. I did go to UNI. I didn't ever actually finish anything, as you guys know, but so I do have like random bits of units. Yes, sorry, you know what. Actually it's crazy. I've never finished a unit and never finished a module and I've never been agree but I've paid for them, and I checked my.
Speaker 2: Right in and dispute that I.
Speaker 4: Didn't think it was a possibility.
Speaker 2: I checked it. Even now, I would definitely write in and say, hey, I just want to have a chat with somebody or like raise it because I actually never finished any of this. Is there a way that I can write it? Because like, I'm not saying that they will waive it, but there is a census state where you are meant to pull out by and if you pull out of a unit before then you can not pay for the course. Yes, and I'm not saying that they'll honor it, but I have heard of people being able to write in and say, hey, I never finished X, y Z and I'm never going to be able to pay this off. Is there a way too and it's been hon it so, like I mean, if you don't ask, you don't get right totally.
Speaker 4: That's true. Okay, that's that's something'll I'll.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 4: It would be too much, It would be really nice though. It's at thirty thousand dollars somehow, and I don't know what a quick I've been doing. I'm just like it's not that much if you're not really seeing it, like I don't. I feel like if at the end of the year, unless like your employee employer is doing something right, you don't have to like get to tax time and be like, oh I owe this much in hex like you don't really see it, So I'm like, and also, if you're making a certain amount then you start paying a little bit, it just feels like nothing to me personally, Like I've no concern even if it's a million dollars, Like a million dollars in next step, I'd be like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Is that because the debt repayments aren't crippling to your financial life? What said about because obviously a million dollars saying oh, I wouldn't care if it's a million, Like I get, I get where you're coming from. But also there are people like Jess if that was looming over her, she would even though you're right, it's not of a lot of consequence totally.
Speaker 4: And that's why I've been bankrupt and Jess has been no. But I think everyone has different feelings. Yeah, yeah, and and and and like honestly, like I'm at a point where I just I don't think not at a point, like I feel like I've always been like this, like education and learning is never a waste of time or money. And I'm like, even though I didn't finish anything just because it got to like exam, but like this, but yeah, I learned so much, I think from all these things, and I don't regret that at all. But yeah, I think just because it's like I'm not seeing if it was like money I had to pay and I had to remember to pay it after different stories and after the money came in different story, but I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, And like I can completely see where you're coming from. Jess, you mentioned something before, like about the debt not continuing. I have said on this podcast before Hex Slash Help, debt is the only debt that dies with you. And when I say that, I mean it is the only debt that is canceled out when you die. It's a little bit morbid, but I think it's important for you to understand that because I think a lot of us get stressed about the idea of passing on debt to our kids or our family or our friends or whatever. That looks like. I mean, you do have to wrap up your tax return. So say you die, Like, let's just be real morbid here. Let's say I died in February. Next month, that means I'm still going to my state will have to submit a tax return in June. So June thirty comes, I need to do my tax return, and whatever hex's debt I had owing for that period, I need to pay. But the rest of the debt would get wiped because I'm now deceased. And I think that that's important to understand because it doesn't make up part of your estate. So let's say you have a thirty thousand dollar hextet and one hundred thousand dollars in savings. If that was like credit card debt, or if that was a home loan, or if that was any other type of personal loan, what would happen with your estate? And estate is a fancy word for saying all your stuff in one bucket that you owned when you die, your estate would pay for that. So, say you've got your debt, all of that would be you know, organized, and you'd get seventy thousand dollars out of that to distribute to your friends and family when you pass away. In your will. However, HEXT doesn't come into your little bucket of your estate. It doesn't come in and say, hey, just so you know, you still owned the government thirty grand. They'll just go, you died, don't worry about it, like that was bad enough, so they don't take it from you. And I think that that is a really important point, because a lot of people are making the decision to just not care about their hex stet anymore. They're like, I see it's index at two point seven percent. I see that that means that, you know, if I have a sixty thousand dollars come and I've got thirty thousand dollars owing, I'm going to be paying six hundred bucks a year on that for forever more. I just don't care. Like that's what a lot of people are deciding, because they look at it and they go, even if I extinguished that amount of money, So even if I saved up thirty thousand dollars and paid off that entire hex stet, it doesn't actually put me even in a better borrowing situation, Like getting rid of that hex stet doesn't mean that I'm going to increase my borrowing capacity. I'd actually prefer to have that thirty thousand dollars in my savings account or invested or in property or somewhere else. So a lot of people are deprioritizing paying off their hexts. Is that the right thing to do? Who knows, It's just an experience that's happening in our community. But yes, there are definitely people who are going to have their HEX debts forever. And do I think that's a negative thing? Honestly no, Because you were able to get the education that you consented to. You knew how much it was going to be and what the repayments would look like and how that worked, and maybe it just doesn't work out that you paid off forever. I'm just glad that we don't have an education financing system like the US, where it becomes completely crippling to get into student debt. And I also love that our system means that if you lose your income or you don't have you know, the income needed to pay back, you don't have to. So I think there's a lot, like there's pros and cons, like nobody wants to die in debt, but I think we also need to remember that we're getting a lot from that and even if you are earning a sixty thousand dollars part time income, Yes, you're paying back your debt, but you got this massive degree and maybe part time, like part time sixty grand, that's a good income. That's why you're able to earn it. Maybe because you went to UNI, you were able to get this good job with the degree that you had, and now that's just like paying the way of being able to do that. So true. So I just think there's a lot to it. And I think people put a lot of importance on smashing down the hextet without talking about the bigger repercussions. And there have been when I was a financial advisor a lot of people that I sat down with that would be like, oh my god, V I'm so glad I'm here. I've got, you know, all of these savings and all of this hex stet, and we need to get rid of the hex stet and then next we'll do and then we do their financial advice and paying more of the hextet was never part of the plan. So I think it's just take it with a grain of salt. Debt can be scary, but that's one of the debts that's not good or bad. Debt just sits in the middle.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's gray, Yeah, she's grey.
Speaker 5: Should we get into the juicyday?
Speaker 2: It was hextet and you Dying not juicy enough.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit sad. I'm ready for the good stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm always ready for the good stuff. Are you ready? We go to DM. DM said, hey, she's on the money. I am in an awkward situation. My friend wanted to save some money on Reno's before their baby arrived, so they asked me to help paint their house. Great cool, We've all done that tricks out so far. Of course, I said yes, how could I not? But while I was moving the ladder, it slipped and I accidentally knocked over their brand new TV that was propped up waiting to be mounted. Now they're asking me to pay for it, and I feel awful, But I kind of feel like it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't asked me for help in the first place. I was doing them a favor to save some money, and now I'm the one out of pocket. Am I being unreasonable for thinking I shouldn't have to pay? I would love to hear the team's thoughts.
Speaker 4: So this is actually really hard. This is really like.
Speaker 2: My tongue so hard.
Speaker 4: I just think, like maybe go hard. I just that is a really really good one because I'm like, if your friends were gonna pay, Like so, I don't know how much a painter costs, but let's say two thousand dollars for a painter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go about that because I am currently having my house repainted. Oh yeah, yep, we've got some quotes, so two grand yep.
Speaker 4: It is an accident, it really does. I get it. Like it feels so crappy when you're not doing I don't know if this our listener is doing really well financially, not doing well financially, whatever it is. But like when you're in a situation.
Speaker 2: Respect, it's about the blame game. It's not about how much money you've got your account totally responsibility. Is this broken? Tell exactly?
Speaker 4: And it's like it's when you accidentally do something, you have no intention of anything, and all of a sudden you're in the whole like five k I don't know, I'm assuming it's like five k I but it's like a big one that's need to be mounted on a TV. How much are they these days?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but there's no way i'd spend five.
Speaker 5: It's like on a big black I don't know that's that's a that's a blue job in our house, A big Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was all my boyfriend tell me how much sale.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying it totally. I think my last TV was maybe fifteen hundred bucks. I didn't get the bigger one because I was like, I'm not spending that. Well, yeah, I mean you can get. It really depends on how small.
Speaker 4: Big sure, sure, sure, sure, yeah. I've always just had one. I have no idea how but anyway, so this, you know, it really sucks when that happens. I understand that you're kind of like, if I think of it from their side, if they're like, oh, this brand new TV. We've saved up for this and we're so excited to use it. My friend accidentally broke it totally totally not their fault. They're here to help me. Maybe let's try and find a way where we can go halves or or something. I just don't know that it's either one's responsibility completely, I think, But you guys look like you definitely don't agree. So I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Beck if you came to my No, you know what I want justice opinion. I want justice opinion. Jess, what are your thoughts to me?
Speaker 4: It's not a gray area like if you.
Speaker 5: Damage Jess as like, No, I just think if you damage something that is not yours, your responsibility is to fix it or pay for it to be fixed, right, because I think if you like broaden it.
Speaker 4: Oh, Victoria does not agree.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think because I think that like if you take I think, helping them paint their house, you have to take that out of it. Like why you were there is irrelevant to me. Yeah, Like if I'm at anyone's house for any reason. It's like if you hit somebody's car, Like it doesn't matter if I was doing a good deed in stopping so the ducklings could cross, like you hit someone's car, Like, I just think the reason you're there is not Like I understand that. Maybe in our listener's mind they're like, oh, I was doing a nice thing and that nice thing is and I totally get that that's a shitty feeling, but like you've broken Like I just I think I know what VD is gonna say. But my opinion is, like you are responsible for your actions in this world, and be they accidental or be they intentional. It's not fair to expect somebody else to foot the bill for something that you've done.
Speaker 4: Right, I was just sorry if it is despert to talk, despert to talk. But also I do agree. And it's also like, if you're doing good deed, there shouldn't be any like things like oh, then that means that I can either get away with this, or you would do this for me or whatever. It's just like you just doing a nice thing for a friend. Yeah, yeah, that is separate. I see what you're saying. Anyway, so I speak the first time we've all had completely opinion. I was going to say this is I don't think this has ever happened before you knew us.
Speaker 2: Wow, just what is my opinion? What do you think my opinion is?
Speaker 5: I know that you're going to say that when you invited somebody to your house, you took on the risk or whatever.
Speaker 4: You should chance.
Speaker 2: Why was your TV out while you're painting?
Speaker 4: I mean, totally fair. We aren't we mounted yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, it's on the floor. Why is the TV in a room where you've got a massive ladder ah see, So you're telling me you've got a ladder that could potentially fall over, like a dodgy one at that, and there's a massive TV that is a hazard in this Like, are we not clearing the room to paint the room? Like, yeah, that would have been, but we're not getting rid of all of the expensive things while getting paint out, paint on a television to begin with, terrible outcome ladder Like literally, you've got amateurs climbing up a ladder and you thought leaving the TV on the ground is a good idea.
Speaker 4: It's a good point.
Speaker 2: It is a good point.
Speaker 4: Now I really want to how it happens.
Speaker 2: I need to know so much about this situation. But also, say Jess comes to my house. I know, like Jess is the sweetest person ever. I said, Jess, I need help painting my house. What's she going to say, Oh, I'll be there at ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's fun.
Speaker 2: She's not getting up early to do it, but she'll be there with bells on. And then she climbs up a ladder to help me paint. I know she's an amateur. I know she's never done this. She falls off the ladder and breaks her leg, who's faults are I still.
Speaker 4: Put that on me, Like I'm not who to fallen off the ladder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you're in my house on my dodgy ladder that I should have, you know, be like, just be really careful. But like I just I think that that is your fault for leaving the TV out in a space where you were doing amateur DIY, Like you've left a TV out, Like, I know, it's really shitty. I know that you don't want to have to buy another TV, and I know that you're trying to save money, but I think that was a cost where you go, oh, I'm so sorry you fell off the ladder, Jess. Yeah, like that's a safety issue that you didn't like Jess came to my house. She fell off my ladder because I didn't protect her to do like, yeah, we're doing something that she's never done before. But like she didn't sign up to full of ladder. She didn't like she signed up to paint some walls that should be relatively inconsequential. It might be dodgy, there might be runs all over the walls. Who knows, but that's the risk I'm taking. Would you then sue Jess or be mad if like Jess did a really shitty job of painting the wall, so like flip it around. We're going to talk about another financial impact. Jess comes to my house, she paints my walls, but she wasn't clean out the brush. She like kept putting it on the ground. There's a dirt in the brush. She's just kept painting the walls.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 2: There's runs all over the walls. There's bits of dirt in the walls. She's gone home, it's dried. I have to then pay someone to come back and fix that because she's messed it up. Who's paying for that?
Speaker 4: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, ah, but YEA just did that, but did like? I mean, I'm making just pay for it. If she got frustrated at the paint brush through it across the room and kicked my TV, breaking it just didn't mean to break the TV and I left it in a spot where it could be broken when it definitely shouldn't have been there in the first place. And what now I'm going to financially impact my friend who was doing a good deed coming to my house to help me. Absolutely not interesting, I would say, asked me if they have content insurance and can you pay their excess payment?
Speaker 4: That would be my solution.
Speaker 2: We were for TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, make content. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I come to your house like flip it. You've had issues with your walls, You've had it, like I come and help. I'm standing on your bedside table. I'm trying to help you patch up the wall and the roof like we're sticking Marley's spoon. Oh yeah, yeah, you know you know, but like that's what I'm doing for you. I trip, I fall, I break your bedside lamp. Am I buying you a new lamp? I wouldn't ask you to, you know, Okay, why wouldn't you ask me to? Well? I feel like I would be like.
Speaker 4: Well, you've done. I get with you.
Speaker 5: But I still also like, I don't know, maybe it's just me, but if I had fallen and broken the lamp, I do think I would still say you.
Speaker 2: Would often replace the lamp. Yeah, I know you would, because you're a kind person. Would I let you know? You wouldn't exactly, And it's because it was like I should have moved the lamp. Yeah, should the lamp? Should the lamp have been on the bedside table when I was climbing up there. No. Should I have thought about moving it myself? Probably, but it's not my house life.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, I'm really thinking about like both parties, and I do think they should maybe split the different you.
Speaker 2: Should have a conversation. But I pay by.
Speaker 4: In storm or something. But I just know that when I bought my new phone, for examples, like a thousand dollars, and I saved it for a long time, for that was the whole thing. If one of my friends was like, oh my god, let me see your phone and then dropped it and broke it, I'll be like, I'd be like, oh, that's okay. And then inside you'd be like I will never financially and actually recover. And I would be like, I want them to pay because they broke it, And so I can understand both.
Speaker 2: I gotta know whatever I know, Okay, Okay, so you know whatever I say, I'm feeling validated. Just so you guys know, we asked the community and we said, if you were the homeowner, would you ask your friend to help pay seventy one percent? And you said no. I asked them for help twenty nine percent and said, yeah, they broke it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think i'd ask them to pay, but I would hope that they would offer or I would.
Speaker 2: Then I asked, if you were the friend who break the TV, would you pay for it? Forty percent of you, which is the highest percentage, says yes, I broke it, so it's giving Jess energy. It's giving Jess energy. So she's like, oh, I'd offer. But then I'm like, but I wouldn't make you pay. Yeah, right, Thirty seven percent of you said yes, but only to stop the drama, and twenty three percent of you said no. I'd tell them I wasn't paying. Awkward we did then say all right, we need you two cents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell us more.
Speaker 2: First person said were they getting paid to paint? No? Then no? Yes, then okay to contribute.
Speaker 4: Oh that's interesting stick.
Speaker 2: Someone else said I would have moved it to a safer place before opening a ladder in that room to my own heart. Someone else said, this is just Jess coded at least for it. I just think our community, our community, and we share one brain cell used to just be Jess and I. Yeah, everybody communal brains are They said they should have had insurance if not hiring professionals and not set up carefully for you. Their fault. I'm not getting insurance if I am not paying a professional painter like low Key I have.
Speaker 4: Professional painter would come with insurance.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like, look, if I'm asking Jess to come over and help with paint, I'll pay you in Yeah. Like we're ordering a pizzai at the end of the day, and hopefully it's a nice day, We're gonna eat it outside with an app roll. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, you break it, you buy it. I mean that's yeah, it's a good sign.
Speaker 4: But also Christmas.
Speaker 2: Chriss anymore.
Speaker 4: But you can still ride the wave.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Someone else said, I can't imagine asking my friend to pay, but I would pay if I was the friend. Yeah, that's why I sayest did all the comments. Someone else said, seems they value the TV more than their friend and their time. If they're asking for money but won't pay their friend, do you do you.
Speaker 4: Reckon the painters would have to pay my God, imagine it.
Speaker 2: Short, but imagine imagine so Jess comes to my house, she breaks my TV because she's fallen off my dodgy ladder, and I say, Jess, you need to pay for that. You need to pay for the Telly just goes, no worries. He's an invoice for my time.
Speaker 5: Literally, yeah, right to that off the to take it off the top.
Speaker 2: Right then, Oh my gosh. Someone else said I would pay for it to stop the drama and then never be friends with them again. Oh what imagine like, guys, because we're not saying that you're fighting or that there's any animosity. I suppose we're saying you broke the TV. We just want to know who's fold it is. You're going to cut a friend out. If my friendship, it's my friendship is so fragile that a broken TV is going to fracture it, keep it, Keep the broken TV. I don't need you as my friend.
Speaker 4: I mean, because there are valid points on both sides, you don't really chuck it out.
Speaker 2: Or someone else said, doing a favor doesn't mean you're exempt from righting wrongs, even if accidental. M that's dramatic. Someone else said if they wanted to save money by having someone that's not a professional with insurance, that's on them. They also shouldn't have left their brand new TV in the room where the work was being done powder, why was the TV there? It's a great point anyway. You know, there's always context missing from a lot of these dms, which is fine. That makes it fun, that makes it spicy. But I think this, guys, is the first.
Speaker 4: I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the first. What is it, Jess? The first?
Speaker 4: What disagreement?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe same? But I was going to say, this is the first DM where we haven't said the answer is communication.
Speaker 4: Oh, I hate It's not too late.
Speaker 2: You knew us, you knew us. All right. With that, we are off. Thank you for tuning into our first Friday episode of the year. We are hoping to ride this motivation wave. I want to remind you as well if you're feeling incredibly motivated. I am running a financial Foundation's workshop on January eighth, which I know is going to be pivotal for a lot of people. I ran it last year as kind of like a test because I knew it'd be good. But I was like, let's just do it late last year, see how it goes, so that I could set everybody up for success in the new year. And I think it is going to be the perfect way to start your year on a Financial high So that is running on the eighth of January, and I will put all the information in the show notes. It's also going to be spammed all over our Instagram, all over my Instagram. It's probably a new newsletter. If you miss it, that's on you, not on me.
Speaker 4: I promise all right.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, guys, and we will see you bright early on Monday for our money Diary.
Speaker 4: By guys, I've been here.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F S L four five one two eight nine